Raines Forums

NBC (ended 2007)

Episode Discussion:"The Fifth Step"(May Contain Spoilers)

What did you think?

danharr

[1]Apr 12, 2007
    • level: 45

April 13, 2007

A friend of Raines and white supremist hmm sounds interesting. Please discuss here

Edited on 04/15/2007 7:03pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[2]Apr 13, 2007
    Good episode it had the right amount of misdirection and Raines with those fantasies didn't go to far thank goodness.  Highlight of the night had to be Raines killing that hitman makes me wonder why the cops weren't covering the backseat in the first place.  Yoba popped up again with a cryptic message for Raines wonder what he meant by it.

EJamison

[3]Apr 13, 2007
    • level: 17

April 15?

I was liking the episode until I found out the reason for the murder and it seemed to me that Svetlana should have been the target.  Then they revealed that she was *also* a target and I was relieved.  I can't decide if there should have been a reason why Svet wasn't killed first.  And in general, I wonder if murder was the best solution to judge's problem.  I suppose we can say he wasn't thinking clearly.  They made it seem too easy for him to find a contract killer in his impaired condition.

BarryWeen3

[4]Apr 15, 2007
    • level: 14
    EJamison wrote:

April 15?

I was liking the episode until I found out the reason for the murder and it seemed to me that Svetlana should have been the target.  Then they revealed that she was *also* a target and I was relieved.  I can't decide if there should have been a reason why Svet wasn't killed first.  And in general, I wonder if murder was the best solution to judge's problem.  I suppose we can say he wasn't thinking clearly.  They made it seem too easy for him to find a contract killer in his impaired condition.

But consider that he is a judge. The criminals he's put away and seen go through his court, it should be easy for him to find someone or at least contact someone to find a hitman. And the fact that he was impaired and wasn't thinking clearly is what led him to make the contract in the first place.

I liked the fact that Raines quickly asked his friend for a picture of his wife, because before then, he had the headless corpse walking around in the background, which in of itself was kinda of amusing. And I agree that his fantasies with the two women didn't go too far, but just enough to tease the male viewers of the show...

So next week has a kid and with Raines' imagination, that should probably get annoying really quickly if the preview is anything to go by.

danharr

[5]Apr 15, 2007
    My bad on the date I put up a lot of episode threads

EJamison

[6]Apr 15, 2007
    • level: 17

BarryWeen3 wrote:
     But consider that he is a judge. The criminals he's put away and seen go through his court, it should be easy for him to find someone or at least contact someone to find a hitman.

I have a cousin who was a criminal defense atty who was later convicted of the attempted murder of his ex-wife.  (He cheated on her and she was determined to make the divorce as difficult as possible.)  I have no idea if he really did it, but the prosecution found the guy who planted the bomb under the car and he made a deal by pointing to my cousin.  The guy had been a client.  So it may be easy, in a way, but finding someone who won't point back to you is a lot more complicated.  My cousin claimed that *he* was the intended target but it seems the jury didn't buy it.

In some cases, someone might want someone dead so badly that they're willing to take the risk of being caught, but that didn't seem to be true of this judge.  Not being caught was essential, or the whole motive falls apart.  But, yes, he wasn't thinking very clearly.

halstein

[7]Apr 16, 2007
    • level: 16
    This show keeps on getting better and better with each episode. The story lines are refreshing and for the most part very interesting. I hope that this show takes off.

BarryWeen3

[8]Apr 16, 2007
    • level: 14
    EJamison wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:
     But consider that he is a judge. The criminals he's put away and seen go through his court, it should be easy for him to find someone or at least contact someone to find a hitman.

I have a cousin who was a criminal defense atty who was later convicted of the attempted murder of his ex-wife.  (He cheated on her and she was determined to make the divorce as difficult as possible.)  I have no idea if he really did it, but the prosecution found the guy who planted the bomb under the car and he made a deal by pointing to my cousin.  The guy had been a client.  So it may be easy, in a way, but finding someone who won't point back to you is a lot more complicated.  My cousin claimed that *he* was the intended target but it seems the jury didn't buy it.

In some cases, someone might want someone dead so badly that they're willing to take the risk of being caught, but that didn't seem to be true of this judge.  Not being caught was essential, or the whole motive falls apart.  But, yes, he wasn't thinking very clearly.

Yes, it would be harder to set up a contract where the murder didn't point back to you, but I got the feeling that the judge was so afraid of his secret getting out that he didn't care at that point.