Raines Forums

NBC (ended 2007)

I smell A Medium/Ghost Whisperer rip off!

tvlover89

[1]Aug 19, 2006
    • level: 10
    Okay, I admit the show looks interesting, I'm always into those sci-fi shows about seeing the dead and what not, but this show seems to be a little too much like NBC's hit psychic drama: "Medium" and A little bit like CBS's "Ghost Whisperer". This happens alot to tv, you know "first comes the best...then comes the rest"  I fear that this show will  suck mainly because its trying to hard to be like Medium. But who knows, what's your thoughts?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Wiggle

[2]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 8
    It's not like Ghost Whisperer or anything! The dead person is just in his head, he or she don't help him, it's just putting his mind together (the scene on the roof explains that very well). Jeff Goldblum discribes for me a character between Colombo and Max Paine (sorry for the reference, but I got the fealing), and the story about the case was pretty ok.

I hope the audience give the show a chance, cause I liked it and want to see more

JasAce

[3]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 7
    Yeah that little description is all wrong. HE DOES NOT SEE GHOST! Im tired of people saying that. The pilot was EXCELLENT, and I can't wait for more. Just watch the first 10 mins and you will be hooked too.

MDB316

[4]Oct 15, 2006
    • level: 13

I think the pilot was a good little show however i don't see this show getting great ratings right out of the gate which is what NBC is looking for. I sense an early grave for this show. Which is a pity as it was fairly enjoyable

csjlj

[5]Nov 11, 2006
    • level: 19
    This is more like a cross between "Profiler" and "The Pretender". Raines "profiles" the victims and "pretends"(simulates for Pretender fans) to have conversations. I know... not really, but if I had to make a comparison to shows past, that would be it. Getting in the head of victims and imagining/hallucinating conversations with them.

There are no ghosts or spirits so Medium and Ghost Whisperer comparisons are unfair and pointless.

bbyboop1977

[6]Dec 13, 2006
    How could you see the pilot show.

archangelcory16

[7]Dec 14, 2006
    • level: 32
    See, the fact that he's imagining talking to the dead people makes it seem a lot more boring.

justjoshinyou

[8]Dec 19, 2006
    The guy THINKS he is imagining I believe...but yeah, guys - I say give the pilot a chance. I really think this show has some awesome potential! Comparing it to Medium and Ghost Whisperer shouldn't even be considered right. Raines, my friend, is a show of it's own - and a very entertaining at that.

It seems to come off as not-another-supernatural show. In fact, I don't think I would even classify it as a supernatural show. Raines seems to focus more on the characters and the case at hand rather then the supernatural element of the show and that is one thing I love about it.

nannorm

[9]Jan 19, 2007
    • level: 9
    I haven't seen the pilot (where are people seeing the pilot anyway?) but I dunno, the idea of Jeff Goldblum having a full blown(?) conversation with a dead person sounds pretty entertaining, hopefully even quite funny. Course, I'm going on the hope that he'll be that fast talking hipster Dr. Ian Malcolm type that he played in Jurrasic Park.

It does sound like another new twist on the ever varying police/forensic drama.  I'll be giving it a chance.  Shame its going to be on Thursdays though, I don't see it having much of a chance as the big Thursday shows will be starting to crank it up as the end of the season starts to draw closer.
    Edited on 01/19/2007 8:48pm

SiriDex

[10]Jan 21, 2007
    • level: 11
    i did not like it very much. maybe i expected too much because of goldblum. imho it needs a LOT of work for it to get where it should be with actors like that. i might give it a chance if i like the following episodes because i see potential...

BarryWeen3

[11]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 14
    bbyboop1977 wrote:

bbyboop1977 and nannorm,

You're wondering how these other people are seeing the pilot of Raines considering the pilot is scheduled to air on March 15. That's because NBC and Netflix back in January made available a special NBC DVD featuring a recap of the first story arc of Heroes, the premiere episode of the Black Donnelys, and a sneak peek of Raines.

hplover09

[12]Mar 3, 2007

bbyboop1977 wrote:

The full episode is also on NBC's website.

And about the Medium rip-off thing, I just watched the pilot of this show and am a long time Medium fan (just check my profile page). While him having conversations with people who are not really there is kind of Medium-like, I would not say the shows are the same. Though Allison on Medium uses her gifts to help solve crimes, Raines' dead people only know what he knows. This show did not have a Ghost Whisperer or Medium feel to it. In fact, you can hardly compare Ghost Whisperer and Medium--one solves crimes while the other just helps ghosts pass on and go into the light (I like both of them, though). I don't even think I would put Raines in the same catagory as these shows. Raines is a crime drama (I know, I know, so is Medium) and I look forward to seeing more episodes of this show.

BarryWeen3

[13]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 14
    hplover09 wrote:

bbyboop1977 wrote:

The full episode is also on NBC's website.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that part that NBC later made the pilot available on their website besides being available to Netflix users. I knew I was forgetting something when I made that earlier post...

littlegolferboy

[14]Mar 15, 2007
    • level: 4
    It kinda sucks that you have to be in the US to watch the pilot on the website. Or at least that's what it looked like. It told me the video wasn't available for my region. I'll definitely be watching it when it's on TV tonight though.

CoolJammer00

[15]Mar 15, 2007
    • level: 4
    well here's the deal.

since the "ghosts" are based off what Raines himself knows, that means that he'll never have to "explain" himself like other ghost shows. He won't need to explain how he knows these hard to know things because well...he won't.

Burgh_Man_98

[16]Mar 16, 2007
    • level: 6
    Actually, if this show is ripping anything off, it's "The Sixth Sense".  And, in my opinion, they handled this issue of seeing the victim with intelligence.  I watched the show twice, and I was impressed that at no time did the ghost/figment ever tell Raines something he didn't already know or was in the process of figuring out.  The victim never came out and told Raines anything, only offered suggestions or prodded Raines to think through something.  It was very well done.

ChicksHateMe

[17]Mar 17, 2007

I like the show and the concept, and don't think it is Like Ghost whisperer or Medium because ghosts don't tell him anything, he has to figure it out himself. They're in his head. I prefer this Idea to ghosts talking, like the others.

The only thing I didn't like was the ghosts making noises (her leg hitting the wall).

I also noticed the airing is not in the same order as the production. I hope they don't screw this up like FireFly was screwed up. If you watched Firefly on the network, it was out of order. On the DVD, played in order, it was MUCH better.

And as far as cancellations, I think prodiction companies are going to soon say forget it to network distribution and put the shows out on the network themselves getting income from item advertising in the show (placement), on the sites, then by direct DVD sales. These Major Networks are screwing up too much lately, cancelling some great shows like DayBreak, my Favorite.

xyzlug

[18]Mar 17, 2007
    • level: 2

There is some A Beautiful Mind and some Sixth Sense.  

Logansgurl48

[19]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 3

CoolJammer00 wrote:
    well here's the deal. since the "ghosts" are based off what Raines himself knows, that means that he'll never have to "explain" himself like other ghost shows. He won't need to explain how he knows these hard to know things because well...he won't.

Thats very true. I wish i would have read this fourm before i made a review of this show. I thought that he could see dead ppl. My beep.

bouges13

[20]Mar 19, 2007
    • level: 19

Burgh_Man_98 wrote:
    Actually, if this show is ripping anything off, it's "The Sixth Sense".  And, in my opinion, they handled this issue of seeing the victim with intelligence.  I watched the show twice, and I was impressed that at no time did the ghost/figment ever tell Raines something he didn't already know or was in the process of figuring out.  The victim never came out and told Raines anything, only offered suggestions or prodded Raines to think through something.  It was very well done.

I whole heartedly agree. It seems that Raines went to great lengths to show that the victims were figments of Raines imagination, and did a great job of it imo. They simply are not ghosts that he sees, and to say otherwise is to be completly wrong, but whatever...