Raines Forums

NBC (ended 2007)

I smell A Medium/Ghost Whisperer rip off!

holgatej77

[21]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 6
    I just watched the pilot (recorded it and just now got around to watching it.) I haven’t seen/don’t watch Medium (my mom likes that one) Ghost Whisperer or Cold Case, but I agree that this show is probably not like those. I especially agree with Burgh_Man_98
    Burgh_Man_98 wrote:
    at no time did the ghost/figment ever tell Raines something he didn't already know or was in the process of figuring out. The victim never came out and told Raines anything, only offered suggestions or prodded Raines to think through something.
    This to me is the entire point of the show. Sure it’s similar, but that’s okay cause there’s some key differences. Also this show has quite a bit of humor, which I liked…
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Jennifer82477

[22]Mar 22, 2007
    • level: 1
    I understand your thinking about the girl's leg hitting the wall and making sound, but remember she's not a ghost, just an extrapolation of what is in Raines' head. Her leg made noise when it hit the wall because in his mind, that is what would happen. This is the same reason the partner had a cane.

ChicksHateMe

[23]Mar 23, 2007
    • level: 8

I spose, but the voices in MY head never make any noises in my room. Although they do sometimes interrupt me while I'm watching TV .

p.s. - Mines 823

Edited on 03/23/2007 9:46pm

garrett850HP

[24]Mar 26, 2007
    • level: 2

JasAce wrote:
    Yeah that little description is all wrong. HE DOES NOT SEE GHOST! Im tired of people saying that. The pilot was EXCELLENT, and I can't wait for more. Just watch the first 10 mins and you will be hooked too.

lol, he just has one screw loose

BabyKitten199

[25]Mar 29, 2007
    • level: 7
    bouges13 wrote:

Burgh_Man_98 wrote:
    Actually, if this show is ripping anything off, it's "The Sixth Sense".  And, in my opinion, they handled this issue of seeing the victim with intelligence.  I watched the show twice, and I was impressed that at no time did the ghost/figment ever tell Raines something he didn't already know or was in the process of figuring out.  The victim never came out and told Raines anything, only offered suggestions or prodded Raines to think through something.  It was very well done.

I whole heartedly agree. It seems that Raines went to great lengths to show that the victims were figments of Raines imagination, and did a great job of it imo. They simply are not ghosts that he sees, and to say otherwise is to be completly wrong, but whatever...

I also agree with both of these assessments. Since the people are figments of his imagination, he sees them the way he wants to see them, like when he thought the first victim dressed really trashy, wore heavy makeup & smoked because that's the way he pictured a hooker would look. Remember how she kind of harassed him & even asked, "Why am I smoking? Is it because this is what you think a whore would do & look like," (or something to that effect) & then when he saw her picture, he then saw her the way she looked in the photo. It's a really interesting show & I like it a lot, I really hope they keep it around.

matrix103

[26]Mar 30, 2007
    • level: 14
    TVlover89 is right this show is a ripoff.

ChaseCameron

[27]Mar 30, 2007
    • level: 10
    matrix103 wrote:

Did we even watch the same show? Do you watch GW and/or Medium. I watch all of them and Raines is NOT a ripoff.

lilwinrock

[28]Apr 4, 2007
    • level: 12

All of these shows are going to be similar.  They may even contain similar plots and twists.  The main thing you have to realize is the character interaction.  Is it like any other show?

I do not see the show as a copy of the others.  I do watch them all--Ghost Whisperer, Medium, etc... 

LastPickName023

[29]Apr 7, 2007
    • level: 5
    matrix103 wrote:

You saying it does not make it so, and tvlover wasn't even comparing it to the right show.

Fundamentally what Raines does is the same as the crime reconstructions we see in CSI, which also frequently change when re-run as the team fill in the missing pieces and correct their false assumptions. The difference is, Raines does it with the victims whereas CSI does it with the forensic evidence.