Raines Forums

NBC (ended 2007)

Official Discussion Thread: "Pilot" (May contain Spoilers)

LostIsMe

[21]Mar 16, 2007
    • level: 11
    Besides guest starring on TV, last I remeber the actor who played Marco from was "Remember the Titans."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

edtrdeb04

[22]Mar 16, 2007
    • level: 1
    But does anyone know his name? I still can't find him.

BarryWeen3

[23]Mar 16, 2007
    • level: 14
    LostIsMe wrote:
    Besides guest starring on TV, last I remeber the actor who played Marco from was "Remember the Titans."

I remember him from that movie and also from We Were Soldiers, oh, and that short live series on TNT, Wanted. And I think he was in Saving Private Ryan. The actor's name is Ryan Hurst.

BarryWeen3

[24]Mar 16, 2007
    • level: 14
    edtrdeb04 wrote:
    But does anyone know his name? I still can't find him.

You should be able to easily find him on IMDb.com now.

edtrdeb04

[25]Mar 16, 2007
    It was Wanted ... That's the show I know Ryan Hurst from. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Rolfz

[26]Mar 16, 2007
    • level: 7
    IMO Jeff Goldblum acts like an effing towel.

PampongMaster

[27]Mar 16, 2007

I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this show.

I love how the "ghost" is his conscience/subconscious.  Whatever he's thinking, the "ghost" gives him his other views on what happened, constantly reminding him of things he's learned. 

The camera work was amazing, most notably was the mirror in the bathroom, and how the scene changed as the camera swiveled.  Also, every time one of the dead appeared and dissapeared, it was done very well, without sloppy and random dissapearances.

Also, the performances were great, both by the lead characters we'll see every week (for I will be watching this show), and by the suspects/victims.  I was surprised, and now I hope it stays original and new.

leaguer1

[28]Mar 17, 2007
    • level: 6
    Going in, my only hope is that it will make me watch the second episode.  And in that, it succeeded.  I'll watch another hour next week. 

Other than that, It's too soon to break down but it seems okay.  Will "okay" be good enough to devote an hour to every week?  Doesn't seem to matter - as most folks pointed out already, I don't think most people expect this to be on the air for too long. 

It might have a shot if it were on cable but the main networks are a scary place.  And this recent uncertainty of a show's existence does play into whether I would consider watching it a little bit. 

roychang

[29]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 4
    LostIsMe wrote:

It is kind of interesting that people compare this show with Medium since coincidently or not, the actor actually played as Alison's brother in Medium.

I really enjoyed the pilot and the ending was a real treat with Goldblum giving that spooky reply to the caretaker with that deadpan look.
    Edited on 03/18/2007 11:11am

andyatuc

[30]Mar 18, 2007
    I DVRd this show for two reasons: I love cop dramas and I love Jeff Goldblum. I was not disappointed. I honestly liked this show because it was different and kept me guessing throughout. The camera work was beautiful and my favorite use was when Raines was "looking for a pimp" and drove from a sunny day into a dark night without cutting. Simply amazing. I'll definitely watch this show for as long as they put it on the air.

KellyKKelly

[31]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 8

Terrific show and brilliant acting by Goldblum. The twist in the end was nice but I sort of had it figured out midway through.  What really clinched it was when he played the CD and the song "Someone to Watch Over Me" played and he teared up.  It obviously were tears for the loss of his partner because the case he was working on just didn't have the emotional impact a man like him would tear up for.  So... why is his partner still 'around.'  Nice touch but pretty sad. I bet they were a hoot together. I hope, if he does partner up again, that it's the guy who said he was going to put in grievance on him and *not* the chick cop because that's an interesting dynamic and would make for excellent storylines.  If they partner him up with the girl - it's just the same old stuff we've been seeing for years which would eventually turn into a silly unresolved sexual crap.  I hope NBC gives this great show a chance!

bouges13

[32]Mar 19, 2007
    • level: 19
    I really enjoyed the pilot and this show has much potential in both the drama and comedy departments which is cool because when both elements work in a show, it just makes for great viewing. And the cast is fantastic....

Lesreg01

[33]Mar 21, 2007
    I thoroughly enjoyed this program. It held me to the very end also. And it was the twist that made it all come together. I had NO idea his partner was dead until the last minute.  I just thought he was on injury leave from the force. Yes, there are several of these psychic programs airing right now - Medium, Numbers and a new one on USA (can't remember the title, Psyched I think). This one is very well done, and Goldblum plays the skitzoid perfectly.  I look forward to seeing it again this week. It'll probaby get canceled just about time I get into it!!!

Beachgirl05

[34]Apr 3, 2007
    I agree.. it had me from the start as well.. and I am not a TV nut, rarely do I sit and watch a whole show... but this one is one not to be missed