Raines Forums

NBC (ended 2007)

Official Discussion Thread:"Reconstructing Alice"(May Contain Spoilers

what did you think?

danharr

[1]Mar 29, 2007
    • level: 45
    Hopefully those waining L&O ratings will be a boost for Raines. Please discuss here

(Airs: Friday March 30, 2007 at 9:00 p.m. (ET))
    Edited on 03/30/2007 8:39am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

minimax34

[2]Mar 29, 2007
    • level: 58
    Hope you don't mind that I've added a little detail in your post.

The show will now air on Friday night at 9:00 PM. This will be its regular timeslot.
    Edited on 03/29/2007 10:16am

ChaseCameron

[3]Mar 29, 2007
    • level: 10
    EVERYONE WATCH TOMORROW'S EPISODE!

danharr

[4]Mar 30, 2007
    • level: 45

minimax34 wrote:
    Hope you don't mind that I've added a little detail in your post. The show will now air on Friday night at 9:00 PM. This will be its regular timeslot.

No problem i'll be more detailed next week   As to the episode good not as good as last week since this time around no new ground was covered.  The case was okay and Raines session was good saw some of the real reasoning behind his mental state.  That scene was very well acted one positive is that apparently Malik Yoba won't be in each one which is good.  Having a constant "spirit" guide so to speak would be lame. 

EJamison

[5]Mar 31, 2007
    • level: 17

The episode was OK, but some parts of the plot felt weak.  I especially don't like it when someone grabs a gun and shoots someone like Helen did.  She knew there was an investigation.  Was she chosing to throw her life away?

BarryWeen3

[6]Mar 31, 2007
    • level: 14
    EJamison wrote:

The episode was OK, but some parts of the plot felt weak.  I especially don't like it when someone grabs a gun and shoots someone like Helen did.  She knew there was an investigation.  Was she chosing to throw her life away?

I didn't see it as that, the way she explained it, it seemed more like an impulse moment. The guy telling her that she was exactly like him made her angry and made her snap, knowing already that he killed Alice while she slept, he just pushed her over the edge and she shot him.

I liked it and Alice in the maid uniform was the funniest, it was sad when the son came to i.d. the body, and it looks like Officer Boyer will be a running joke through the series as in this episode it was the whole Hand Sanitizer thing...

EJamison

[7]Mar 31, 2007
    BarryWeen3 wrote:
    EJamison wrote:

I didn't see it as that, the way she explained it, it seemed more like an impulse moment. The guy telling her that she was exactly like him made her angry and made her snap, knowing already that he killed Alice while she slept, he just pushed her over the edge and she shot him.
      I guess I just don't think people snap that easily and I feel like I've seen snapping like that in too many shows.  It makes me feel like the writers took the easy way out.  It's too early in the series.  Now maybe, if the series continues, since they've already done an easy snap, they won't be able to do it again, then maybe it's OK to get it out of the way.

pgsuperfan

[8]Mar 31, 2007
    • level: 25
    Liked Laurie Metcalf as the guest great job

Lazy_TV_fan

[9]Apr 1, 2007
    • level: 36
    Well, I was all set to watch it on Friday night, when I checked NBC and apparently it was being postponed for an Exhibition baseball game. It ended up being shown at 3 AM Saturday morning so I had to tape it. I just got around to watching it and thought it was decent, not quite as good as the last two, but not completely bad. Raines seemed to missing a lot of the wit that he had in the other episodes (or maybe that's just me).

EJamison

[10]Apr 1, 2007
    Lazy_TV_fan wrote:
    Raines seemed to missing a lot of the wit that he had in the other episodes (or maybe that's just me).
    I'm not sure, but I think you might be right.

BarryWeen3

[11]Apr 1, 2007
    • level: 14
    Lazy_TV_fan wrote:
    Well, I was all set to watch it on Friday night, when I checked NBC and apparently it was being postponed for an Exhibition baseball game. It ended up being shown at 3 AM Saturday morning so I had to tape it. I just got around to watching it and thought it was decent, not quite as good as the last two, but not completely bad. Raines seemed to missing a lot of the wit that he had in the other episodes (or maybe that's just me).

It's not just you, Raines does seem to be less witty than the previous episodes, but I think that's because they made the Alice character the focus of the wittiness. Also, some of the comedy of the previous episodes was because of Raines' interaction with that male cop that keeps screwing things up, didn't have much of that this episode except for the hand sanitizer thing.

rogerbix

[12]Apr 1, 2007
    • level: 5
    Best line ever:
    "I knew someone who worked at a greek restaraunt named Harry Pair-a-testes"...
    This had me on the floor!

AndyCdn

[13]Apr 5, 2007
    • level: 4

We're getting some good detail now, with three episodes under our belts, on how the show is structured and where the potential for development lies. I enjoy the 'guest victim' as a way of getting inside Raines' mind and seeing how he makes deductive leaps. The changes the figment character goes through provide great opportunities for the actor in that role, even if some of them are a little cliché (the hooker; the Latino gangster; the French maid in a fetish outfit!).

The supporting regular characters are developing nicely. I wish Nicole Sullivan had a little more to do, and I'm sure she will in future episodes: they won't hide her light under a bushel for long, with her talent. The therapist had a great moment confronting Raines with his bogus drowning story and obviously the sessions with her will grow in importance as the series progresses. I think Raines will begin to appreciate his gift so much he will start to worry deeply about losing it. I'm sure he missed his former partner in this episode as much as we did. 

I loved the intro to the pilot, sort of a Deco cartoon effect. The art department must have a few more creative ideas up its collective sleeve. Likewise, the camera work is clever in showing us what Raines sees and others don't, especially with the sudden appearances or vanishing of the figment.

Jeff Goldblum has a noirish element to his character, with his sometimes casual dismissal of feelings -- his own and those of others -- and his very dry wit. He seems profoundly sad and lonely, which makes him good at his job but hard to identify with as a lead character. We need to see some of his joyful moments, no matter how private they may be. Think Grissom's roller-coaster rides or Jack McCoy's motorcycle. And the pain, like Goren's brother, mother and Nicole, or the love, like Annabeth's daughter. I'm sure Raines will grow if the network execs keep the show going (see my rant on this in my blog).