Inner Child

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Apr 20, 2007 on NBC

• The show finally takes a break from the regular plot structure and it makes for a really unique episode with some important developments.

This was an episode of firsts. It was the first time Raines hallucinated more than one victim. It was also the first time the victim stayed around after the case was solved. And it was the first time Raines was almost too distracted to do his job. And that's what makes this a good episodes. Could we really expect this guy to go on with his life with these hallucinations always helping him solve cases? These aren't superpowers we're talking about. I probably would get very bored if every episode was the same in terms of how the people he sees are used. Reminding the viewer that "I only know what you know" every 10 minutes and Raines' visualization of the person changing after every plot twist can get old quick.

It's nice to see that Raines is a human being just like the rest of us, especially with such a serious subject matter. It just wouldn't have been realistic if he didn't get affected the way he did. Boyer's reaction also pleasantly surprised me because normally he's just the annoying cop who no one likes. And that's another thing I like about this show; it hints at other people having problems too, not just the main character. Obviously there isn't always time to delve into those kind of stories, but the possibility is there. I guess the idea of a flawed character is just a lot more appealing to me than a hero.

I sure hope this show comes back next season. I hate how everything is driven by ratings even though they're a crappy way of measuring interest. What about all the people who download shows because they can't watch it when it's airing or can't afford something like TiVo or just don't even have cable or satellite? I'm just saying I'd like to see more of Jeff Goldblum.