Raines

Inner Child

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Apr 20, 2007 on NBC

• A delicately told story of the aspects of human nature revolving around one of the most heinous crimes imaginable. Takes Raines out of the comfort zone, and us along with it.

An episode whose plot delicately broaches the difficult emotions surrounding the most harrowing and detestable of crimes. The screenplay is filled with sceens and dialogue that touch upon the deplorable side of human natur,e through Raines conjuration of the young, innocent victim. Most of the scenes are a mix of emotional subtlety and helpless awkwardness. I imagine just how an adult would attempt to explain the subject matter to a young child. By tiptoeing around the more horrific material at hand.

As such, I found the draw of this story to be the novel way in which the victim is able to question the aspects of the crime from her own point of view. I challenge you to find another cop show that has done something similiar. It is her (the hallucination's) ability to question; the motive's of such monsters and prompt Raines for the difficult answers I could imagine one such victim would be asking difficult questions to. As such, the screenplay conjures similiarities with that of parent/child relationship. If that makes any sense. Yet its done in such a lightfingered way, that the communication of this heinous crimestory is paramount over. Tthe script also touches on the additional experiences all of those potential characters that could be involved in a case such as this; victims father, paedophile suspects and the witnesses. Touching on regrets, what-ifs, how to go on in life... and more.

As for Raines, we get to see him increase his ability to retain more control over his hallucinations. In one particular scene, a dead paedophile suspect chases the girl in what starts as an obvious uncomfortable scene. Yet it ends with an air of vengeful hilarity, when Raines places a gun in her hand, providing swift retribution for his initial crime.

The whole cause and effect device, plays throughout the episode's plot arc and is packaged up with a very bitter/sweet ending.

Worth watching, as its different from previous episodes.