Raines

Meet Juan Doe

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Mar 22, 2007 on NBC

• Expands on the pilot very nicely

Was to be expected that the follow up wasnt going to be as hot. Yet it does succeed on building on the great 1st episode. The storyline and the crime stronger and thus more interesting in nature than those of the pilot. Overall the shift in point of view to the imaginary relationship between Raines and victim again works very well, given Goldbulm natural rapport with the viewer. The main problem he has - that of relying on his own preconceptions is prevelant and well done. It provides the mainstay of scenes between both parties again and just seems effortless. I love the fact that his preconceptions get chipped away as they are usually wrong or demonstrated in a negative/stereotypical light that I guess is just standard in most normal human beings.

That so, the case provides a valued ally to the mechanism as it has a number of well placed and clever twists - nothing Earth-shattering but very engaging.

All this leads us to change out view of the victim and shocking twist (though not entirely unexpected - I guess it :)) genuinely tugs at the heartstrings.

The brief introduction of Madeliene Stowe as a phsycotherapist that Raines's capt. forces him to visit looks like it will provide an extra angle of confrontation for Raines to deal with and I hope to see this start expanding in the next few episodes.

A case ending with no real winners that provides another 35 mins of genuine entertainment.