Raines

Pilot

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Mar 15, 2007 on NBC

• Well written. Well Acted. A quality detective show with a satisfactory movie-like feeling.

I checked out the show based on being a fan for Jeff Goldblum. Watching this show reminded me that this is not the first time Jeff has played a detective on Television. Anybody remember a show called Tenspeed and Brownshoe? If you do, you're old like me. haha. Raines is not a totally fresh concept, but it offers a few nice twists on the well-loved Detective genre. The added layer of main character visuallizing and speaking to the dead victoms until crime is resolved allows viewers to get inside the leads head. It sheds light on how a Detective might come to certain conculsions while solving a mystery. Everybody is guilty, until the facts prove otherwise. Widdle your way through the mystery as the answers come to light.

While I am a fan of shows like Heroes, I must say it is refreshing to watch a show that has a nice concusion at the end of the hour. Cliff hangers are okay from time-to-time, but sometimes they are more frustrating than exciting. I was delighted to have the pilot episode of Raines end on a satsifactory note, yet still leave me wanting to see more.

Overall, the show has heart, a few twists, and a quirky sense of humor.