Raines

Pilot

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Mar 15, 2007 on NBC

• I like Jeff Goldbloom as the lead, the the premise not so much.

7.8
    I thought the plot was rather contrived and a little convoluted. It came across as a run-of-the-mill caper. The beginning started out good where he was discovering clues about the victim being a prostitute. But who the killer turned out to be and especially why was rather weak. It’s as if they came up with this good setup and slapped on an ending.

What I like about the series is that Raines’ staff discover many of the facts of the case, not Raines himself. In fact he relies on them to dig up the details. It adds realism and a different slant, rather than making the detective some super whiz. And as the data rolls in, he adjusts his image of the victim.

But using figments of his imagination so he could reason out a case is pretty weak. I'm not sure I care to sit through his thought process. I would rather it had been ghosts because this would have been a good gimmick to the series. I know it's been done before, but those shows all have female leads (and not very charismatic at that) and I like male better.