Raines

Reconstructing Alice

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Mar 30, 2007 on NBC

• Alice down the rabbit hole. Its hard not to love allusions, especially when they play on a universal childhood memory. The kind of memories that make us all smile, even when the theme is sad.

How does one not automatically smile when we think of the stories of our childhood, if not told by parents who loved you, or by a teacher that smile just a bit too much, then by a mind that was full of curiosity. Raines tonight reminded me why I always wanted to fall down the rabbit hole, why I always wanted to go on an adventure and I never got lost in too deep. I found myself grinning, as usual its Raines’ assumptions that get the best of him, but this time around it wasn’t simply the case he was struggling with, but his own identity. His own fears of insanity were thrown in his face, just as Alice went on a psychedelic trip, Raines fears that his entire life is nothing more then one really long psychotic episode (no pun intended). The first episode where he doesn’t find himself searching out the help of his deceased partner, he find solace in the arranged meetings with his no nonsense shrink. It was a cleverly arranged episode that hinged on my own vulnerabilities, and yet continued to exercise my senses. I hope this show gets a fair shot, but like many cop dramas, it could fall at the wayside.