Raines

Reconstructing Alice

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Mar 30, 2007 on NBC

• An excellently told, tragic and deep story. Where the cop show plot is truly secondary.

A story themed on the plight of homelessness, with issues of mental illness. These cleverly incorporated though, through the mirror of experiences of Raines as he sets about solving this case.

As you can imagine, these two are the funniest of bosom-buddies. Yet the writers excel in bringing ironic moments of humour through dialogue, which Goldbulm excels at delivering. Raines' fractured mind is also used to good effect, keeping the screenplay moving allow, hitting the issues of the theme without dwelling to much. As for the issues relayed in this particular plot; pain, suffering, loneliness, despondancy, manipulation of the forgotten, lost diginty and family anguish. All are well woven into a crime story that franky isn't the star of the show. Nor should it be, if you are fan of Raines.

Yet as done in previous episodes, it is Raines psyke-projected view of the victim that allows us to take these onboard, without it becoming a recital or unemotional exposition. Plotwise don't expect the strongest cop solves case story, but its logical set out. Locations add to the overall despondant feel, while the trail of leads does it job in taking us along a journey of discovery. It eventually leads us to an intentially likely killer, but with a twist at the end.

A well told story of a sad demise, that dances on the mind of Raines beyond this episode. Could this fate be his future? Indeed, the 'real' question should be - could this be a future for me?!