Raines

NBC (ended 2007)

Raines Fan Reviews (51)

• Done to death!

1.1
    I know that it hasn\\\\\\\'t premiered yet, but I do want to talk about what I think of it now.

Person who is semi-psychic and helps murder victims and what not bring their killers to justice. I\\\\\\\'m sorry, that has been done to death. Medium, Ghost whisperer are TV shows, then countless movies and books. Ugh. Now, don\\\\\\\'t get me wrong, it will probly be a good show, Jeff Goldbloom is a really good actor, but couldn\\\\\\\'t they come up with somthing a little more original? But, we will find out more once the show airs in
    January. Query. Why is it listed under \\\\\\\'06 pilots if it\\\\\\\'s going to air in \\\\\\\'07? Odd.
  • I like this show but I despise at the same time.

They made a huge mistake airing this show because this is 100% the same thing as Medium I hate this show: Rains because this show wants to make fall asleep. Cancel this show cancel this show please. I most rather watch Medium than this stupid show. Now what is the mystery about Jeff Goldblum coming back to television?.
  • Detective "sees" the ghosts of his victims who then help him to solve their murder.

6.7
    What is going on in Tv-land, how many "I see dead people" shows are we gone get. Ghostwhisperer, Rescue Me all have dead people in them. Perhaps they dont have to pay the actors when they play ghosts??

Unoriginal is the right word for this episode but I hope that it will improve. Because the cast is well chosen, Jeff Goldblum is a great actor although he could be a little more relaxed in his role as a detective. The others are all up to par with room for improvement because that is something the show realy needs. Is there nothing good about this show? Yes there is, the way it is shot reminds me a bit of "Sin City" and the interaction between Jeff and his ghost is good. The twist at the end is realy a surprise too.

In short it misses an edge to it more thrillerelements are needed. But that realy has to be done in the next few episodes or it will not survive for long.
  • Kept me interested the whole time and I did not guess the end. Thanks for the good acting and writing.

This is the best show to come along in a long time. Keep up the good work. Interesting plot, got yout point across with out too much blood or foul language. Scenery very interesting. Am looking forward to all your new episodes. Think that about sums it up on what I think of the new show "Raines". Jeff Goldblum is perfect for the lead part. The dialogue between him and his 'dead' partner is so good. Who ever thought up the plot for this program is due many words of praise. Thank you again. This is a refreshing change from what we have now on TV. Bye;
    Jean H.
  • Not that brilliant of a show. I much prefer Ghost Whisperer

When I watched Raines I was not impressed. To me the show dragged and I found myself falling asleep. I prefer Medium or Ghost Whisperer. The scripts seem badly written and the acting dull and boring. When I watched the show I was instantly reminded of Ghost Whisperer. It seems that networks cannot come up with anything new or original. Jeff Goldblum is a fine actor and I enjoy his movies. As a central character in a TV series, he characters are not convincing which is not his fault. I feel he is more suited for the big screen. I will definitely stay away from this show.
  • This show is a cop show meets a sci-fi show.

The concept of this show is original because it brings to life the thought process of a cop on any other show, such as Law and Order. However, it took on too much of a Medium theme with seeing the characters alive. This took away from the originality for me, though I love Medium so I am biased. I think that it took various show themes and combined it into its own series, which is interesting, but I could not get into it. It was a good effort, but NBC has done better. Instead of canceling shows like the Black Donnellys, the station should consider accepting variety. This show kept with the norm, which just means that one theme has been over done.
  • Could use some better writing

Hmmmm not too bad for a first episode. I didnt really like the fact that the 'ghost' of the dead girl didnt know anything and kept saying 'IDK you tell me'. In the near future i hope that Raines can get more info from the ghost. Love seeing Malik Yoba back on tv as well as seeing Nicole Sullivan in something different than Mad tv.
  • Raines is an interesting show. One that you have to watch again...

Raines is an interesting show. One that you have to watch again to catch the way he changes his views on the character. Raines is about a cop that uses his imagination, to visualize his victims. As he leans more about the victim he idea of the person changes. It is witty and amusing, but maybe to "smart". A person would have to watch it again to notice the changes in the victims. Jeff Goldblum is in his element though. Raines is a character written for him, quirky and intertaining. I think that this show could be great if it can hold people's interest. The story was catching and entertaining. It is a cop story, but with a different angle that I liked.
  • Regurgitated scifi detective drama with overachiving C+ actors!

3.5
    How many times are we going to have to watch the same recycled dung over and over again? Were has all the originality gone? If were not bombarded with reality show nonsense then were forced fed unoriginal dimwitted regurgitation from some halfwit that failed his community college 100 level writing class. Seriously! While your at it why don’t they just clone CSI and Law and Order some more please. It seems like the decent, well written and interesting shows of the world don't make it through 5 episodes while I bet nonsense like this will get re-upped for two more seasons before the third episode is through. It would make you think that James (Cablevision) Dolan cloned himself and is running all the big name networks. NEXT!
  • Detective Raines sees dead people. Remember the end of The Sixth Sense when Cole realizes the ghosts wants his help to solve their problems, well it basically continues here in this show with Detective Raines. No blood and gore on the ghost either.

Raines is very similar to Medium of course, although I think the Medium might have a greater range since she has the ability to both prevent and solve cases. Basically murdered people come to Raines in hopes that he will help them find out who killed them. He doesn't really know what to think @ first. He starts trying to find the killer, mine you the victim doesn't seem to be able to help him, hoping that the living dead will leave him alone. He knows he has the wrong suspect if he keeps seeing the ghost. He knows he has some more searching to do. It seems to be that whatever he believes the victim to be or appear like (such as clothes, bust size, hair). If he says this happen to the victim, they react to it as if it actually happen to them, because they don't know why they were killed. From the looks of it, he's not use to seeing the victims, so I don't think that this has been happening a long time, plus he kind of has a guider who is also a previous partner of his who got shot. I think I'm going to have to watch a few more episodes, but for now, that's what I understand. Right now, I prefer Medium because I feel like I'm getting use to another system of catching ghosts or whatnot, and Raines isn't exciting enough to turn me from Medium to Raines, plus how it is written or how the story comes together turns me off and although I like Jeff Goldblum, his acting in this role is not doing anything for me. NBC seems like their just re manufacturing shows anyway @ this point. I might see the show when nothing else is on, but its not a favorite. Maybe it'll get better as it goes along. From the short clips in commercials, this may have suppose to have been a funnier version of Medium. I'll give it another try but as of right now, I'm not liking it.
  • Amazing Concept, HORRIBLE Actors.

5.1
    Amazing Concept, horrible actors, i lost interest in 10 seconds of watching the show it was quite boring.. and the funny thing is it cant be one of those shows that are on, so u gotta watch it, because csi is on at the same time, soo good luck (Cancelled).

It must have a high budget too soo good luck.
  • Will have to see what's next...

6.9
    I find it hard to define the quality of a series based on the pilot alone. It normally takes me about three or four episodes before I become engaged enough to watch regularly. That said, "Raines" presented an interesting, if somewhat slow moving, pilot with potential. Its strongest asset is, of course, the very talented Jeff Goldblum. I've seen Mr. Goldblum perform live on stage in New York and his presence transfers nicely to the small screen. Unfortunately, I found the hallucination gimmick contrived and I would have prefered "Raines" have a special talent or intuition in seeing the victims rather that this.

It was nice to see Nicole Sullivan in a different kind of role. "Raines" is definitely worth a look. How many remains to be seen.
  • Promising But Probably Doomed

Loved the opening scene, which was beautifully done and just drew me in with its neo-noir vibe. Goldblum is a great actor and I truly enjoyed his performance in this episode, but I do have some reservations. First, he is so busy with his facial tics and mannerisms that it becomes a bit distracting and overwhelms whatever else is happening in a particular scene. Second, he runs like some hybrid chicken-lizard creature and they really shouldn't show him running around very much. Other than that, he's golden.

I'm not sure the premise of the series works, there really are A LOT of similar shows already and it's kinda goofy that he has to find an empty room or rooftop in order to commune with a dead victim. Were it not for Goldblum and the gorgeous opening scene, I wouldn't have watched the entire show.

The storyline for this pilot was interesting until the killer was revealed. The killer's actions in the death scene were so over-the-top as to be ludicrous. I actually laughed at the killer's over-reaction (and incongruous expertise with a gun). Maybe if the killer's character and motivation had been better developed, the killing may have been more effective.
  • Pilots are ususally iffy, but Raines may be worth another watch.

7.1
    Having just watched the pilot, I find myself slightly amused that Jeff Goldblum has completely won me over. His portrayal as the "insane" Raines, while certainly not original or cutting edge, is no doubt, entertaining. To be honest, I feel he has a side of Dr. Gregory House mixed into his psyche, which makes me smile with joy because saracasm and wit are hard to find on television shows these days. The show overall, was interesting, but not in that 'I am going to tell everyone about this new show that's fabulous.' No, not that interesting. But it is only a pilot, and pilots are always fumbly and shifty because they have to do so much in one hour. The case in itself was somewhat yawnworthy, but the idea of Goldblum's character using his imagination to solve the case, is somewhat entertaining. The handwashing scene was certainly a highlight to me because the man is crazy, except he's really not. Raines' friend, yeah, I saw that one coming from the beginning. Original? No. Still, I like the chemisty between the two actors and I like that Raines, a detective who's been through some stuff, can relax with someone who must have been really close to him when alive.
  • My prime reason for tuning in was Jeff. He has a style all his own and I enjoyed seeing him act. He adds emotion, humor, inquisitiveness to his role melding one into the other seemlessly. I thought his role in Raines tonight was superb, typical Jeff G.

What I am concerned about is the shows premise. i do hope the studio has a creative writing staff as the show could get old fast. Adding the twist at the end with charlie was great (my buddy from NY Undercover). Little twists like that give you something to think about and look forward to.

Good start...I enjoyed the first one...keep up the momentum!

S. Page
  • The idea isn't all that original, but the execution is well done and the characters have some "meat" to them.

The idea of a John Edwards Detective type show has certainly gone through the recycle bin enough times, and Raines is guilty for going to that bin for this show as well...But a not-so-original idea/theme does not necessarily equate to a bad show IF it's done right and in this first episode things look promising.

Goldblum does a great job of endearing us to the Raines character (even if his little ticks and wandering stares still bring back images of Seth Brundle!). Goldblum's got an ease and laidback confidence in his portrayal of the character and it comes across well. His interactions with the other actors is also well done and gives the show more of a feel of being in it's 3rd season rather than being a Pilot.

Casting other acting veterans in the supporting roles (such as Guzman as the ex-partner) adds even more solidity to the show.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new episodes.
  • Medium? Ghost Whisperer? Not quite, mostly better.

I never saw this show until last week's The Fifth Step. I was hesitant, as I didn't want to watch another "person speaks with dead people/ghosts who help solve crime by dishing out otherwise unknown info to said person" show. The thing that immediately caught my attention was that, since the "victims" are all in Raines' head, they don't know anything more than he does. They just provide a different angle to the crime. Which, if you pay attention to what they say, was actually there all along, just not that obvious.
    All that said, I'm definitely going to give this show a chance. Having Jeff Goldblum doesn't hurt either, and I think he fits this role very well.
  • Great show with a great star and a great premise. Unfortunatly the trend of new shows with great promise being cancelled too early. Once again was relized in this program which after a seven episode run was not renewed for the upcoming tv season. Raine

Great show with a great star and a great premise. Unfortunatly the trend of new shows with great promise being cancelled too early. Once again was relized in this program which after a seven episode run was not renewed for the upcoming tv season. Raine's is the story of Det. Raine's an unconventional detective who's one of the best in his department. The show had to weather storms of misjudged Ghost Whisperer and Medium comparisons. In fact there was nothing supernatural about the show. The phantom images he saw were figments of his imagination which made it all the more interesting. Watching him negotiate speaking with invisible entities and not looking insane to those around him. He used these figments to help him process crimes and solve his case's. Once you watch the show these things are clear which unfortunatly most people never found out. Due to less than stellar rating this less than midseason replacement was cut. If you can get a hold of the short first season i'm sure you'll enjoy it Jeff Goldblum's quirks always leave something to admire in a performance.
  • a used up premise in a world with too many cop dramas already... but the writing and goldblum's crazy guy act may save this one.

it is so hard for a cop, lawyer, or hospital drama to interest me anymore, with so many out there.. but this one kept me tuned in. its more about a crazy detective, than a detective that see's actual ghosts. i like that. crazy people make for a better story than ghosts do, if i wanted that i would watch medium or supernatural... crazy is different and different is good. btw, is it just me, but didnt goldblum creep you out before this anyway? i hope this stays around long enough for luis guzman to show up, that guy is always funny.
  • Jeff Goldbloom plays a detective with an overactive imagination.

My ratings and description of this show are definitely subject to change. It's hard to judge a show on just one episode. I liked the pilot. I thought it was funny and pretty unorthadox. Most of the crime dramas on TV these days are ver proceedural. This show reminds me a lot of the noire detective programs of the forties and fifties on radio. The Raines character has traces of Joe Friday in him, as well as Phillip Marlow, and the strange and sarcastic sense of humor of maybe Sam Spade or Boston Blackie. I think this show is very smart and I will continue to watch it. However, I don't know if America as a whole will catch on to this kind of crime drama. You have to have a descent attention span to actually sit down and watch this show...and more and more today, Americans are multitasking. Not many people actually sit down and just watch TV. They're either exercising, or talking on the phone, or doing something else that distracts them from really paying attention. I hope this show doesn't get cancelled...but I just don't know.
  • Raines is an average plus cop show with a twist - but its making and cast make it worth watching.

Raines is your average cop show, only with a twist: the hero speaks with the deceased people he investigates - figments of his imagination, created only to fill the empty space his partner (which was shot) used to fill - The conversations Raines has with his "ghosts" are influenced by his knowledge of their past and their way of passing, a fact which sometimes makes the dead characters "evolve" during a show.

Raines is a very "watchable" show - thanks to a great casting of Raines (the wonderful Jeff Goldblum), and a very good supporting cast.
    I hope this show lasts... it has a lot to develop to.
  • Reviewing just the premiere, I found it to be pretty good, and better than similar shows for a few reasons ***May Contain Spoilers***

I haven't ever really been a fan of Jeff Goldblum and his animated acting, but I find I like him in this role. There are some similarites to this show and Medium and Ghost Whisperer in that it seems the Main actors are talking to the dead. Unlike the other two, in this show the Dead are in his mind, so it's closer to reality than the others, which I like. It is also NOT a show that is a cliff hanger like 24 or many shows that have failed recently (Smith, Kidnapped, Vanished, Daybreak), but it solves a crime every episode, but also has a continuing issue (his Partner). I like it, and will continue to follow it to see where it goes.
  • Not bad!

Raines is a new show that has caught my atention. It's almost a spin-off of Ghost Whisperer because Raines speaks to the deceased; however, it is different because the deceased is in his imagination and he creates them based on the information he digs up while attempting to find the killer. Raines is a great character: crazy but not nuts, if that makes sense. Overall, the story lines seem interesting and, not quite origonal, but adds a twist on crime-fighting. Again, this is one of my new favorites and I hope it just gets better and I can't wait until the next episode!
  • this is one show I would like to see come back

Having this show come out around the spring break timeframe doesn't really give an accurate account of if it is good; successful; etc. And on Friday nights

I really enjoyed this program, loved the cast and have been looking for the next episodes. It was a nice twist to know that these people were just in his head. I did not realize that it ended until just recently. This has been a real disappointment.

Is it too late to think about bringing it back? who do we talk to? Can we see about different time different days? I'm just a little tired of good or interesting shows on for just long enough for you to get to see them, then they are gone. If it is so fickle, it hardly makes it worth our while to even watch the television at all.
  • The evolution of great entertainment; Excentircity meets imagination they then bumps into creativity, they formed a click, next they picked comedy and tragedy, doing this formed the a thinktank responsible for some of the greatest works of our tim

This show is spectacular, is entertaining to watch and is a can't miss for any night of the week, I nor anybody can know what NBC will do with this show, they are the weirdest network when it comes to hit shows.
    This show is so original and Raines is the most original character of the season, while I'm certain Goldblum adds his own touch to every role he takes on this appears to be either tailor made for him, the perfect coincidence, or a Muse hitting their stride, whatever the case maybe this show has what it takes to top ten for as long as it wants to be on tv. The show is not based on the lives of the characters, but the characters as they live.
    Next fall we'll see at least 2 carbon copys of this, its less Monk, and more Columbo, but with smoother quips.
  • I hate how executives are extreme morons. This was a great show...finally a creative show that didnt involve some type of special power or ran off the same basis like all the 500 CSI shows.

I thought this show was awesome and I convinced many people to watch it and you are telling me the idiots cancelled it after only 7 episodes...what kind of crap is that. TV executives keep giving us more and more reason to hate them to the core. When I first saw this show, I was hooked and now theres nothing original on tv. Jeff Goldbloom was the perfect person to play this part, I dont understand how anyone could have not liked it...I think its just these idiots who dont promote the shows well enough and assume people are psychics and sit at their tv watching every channel non-stop. Its pathetic and it makes me wish somewhere in the world at least one tv executive learns from dumb decisions like these and actually gives shows a chance...but I doubt that will ever happen due to the fact they are all brain dead.

The only channel that does anything right is Comedy Central but one channel in a world where some tv packages come with FOUR HUNDRED channels...thats just pathetic.
  • If lack of viewership was the reason this show was taken off the air, they just didn't wait long enough for big fans like me to convince all their friends and family to give it a try. This show was my new #1 favorite, and I'm disappointed that it's gone.

• This Show is Brilliant!

I Love This Show!!! What a great concept. And Jeff Goldblum has always been one of my very favorite actors. Perfect for this character. Please, Please, Please Bring it Back! Don't let this one go! What a pleasure to spend an hour with this character, this show and this cast!
  • Raines is amazing, and I have nothing but love for all the shows and movies riding in the wake of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and the revitilization of the Noir genre.

Oh, there are no words for me to say how happy I was to see Jeff Goldblum on my television. And what a show, too! Raines is everything I like in a show: funny, irreverant, dry, poignant, sad, honest, and just damned good.

Goldblum is at his best, and keeps Raines' quirks skirting that dangerous line between funny, and career endangering. As offbeat and amusing as Raines is, you are constantly reminded that his career is teetering on the edge. You get the idea that as much as Raines pretends, even to himself, that he has his stuff together, the guy is moments away from loosing it completely.

Supporting Raines is a well-rounded cast that manages to be interesting on the individual level, as well as in the background. I love that PTB are not waiting until they're out of other ideas to develop the supporting characters, but starting it early. This show doesn't rest solely on the shoulders of Goldblum, and the other actors make themselves just as memorable with a fraction of the screen time.

For a minute I was going to list a few particular supporting characters that I liked, but before I even stared I realized that I would just end up listing the things I love about every character...but I just can't help myself and did it anyway.

Nicole Sullivan as Carolyn brings in a sympathetic outsider. Not just the civilian who watches too much CSI, but an intelligent and well-adjusted woman who holds the place together with out resorting to whining about the difficulties of a job that obviously has her working hard.

Linda Park as Lance is the female cop without being The Female Cop. They deal with the fact that she's a woman, but it's not the defining aspect of the character, the fact that she's a good cop is.

We haven't seen much of Madeleine Stowe as Dr. Kohl, but the fact that she's a TV shrink, and she doesn't annoy me, or get overused as a characterization crutch is a mark in her favor.

Matt Craven is so amazing as Captain Lewis. He is a tough boss, but a good friend, and doesn't seem to have to sacrifice one for the other. I am most looking forward to the expansion of his relationship with Raines. And, dude, it's Matt Craven!

Dov Davidoff is oddly charming as Boyer. I was thrilled to see his character get the same treatment and care as the other, admittedly more likable characters. After Lewis, I'm really, really looking forward to watching how Boyer and Lance work together.

WATCH THIS SHOW. FOR REALZ.
  • Ghosts, illusions and hallucinations! Somebody bring this show back!

Why, why, why? What planet do these network executives live on?

If you want a cop show unlike any other cop show in existence, you have to watch Raines. I have only ever seen Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park and Independence Day, but the snarky sarcastic police officer seems to be his calling. In a time when the bite of sarcasm has been diluted by writers looking for a quick laugh, Raines really hits the spot.

Not to mention the fact that he's crazy. Or at least, going crazy. The concept for this show was a stroke of brilliance, and I am very disappointed that it will not be given the chance to continue. A great ensemble of characters, including Officer Boyer (love the aviators), Officer Lance (nice to see Linda Park made it off the Enterprise), and Dan Lewis and Michael Raines (with great chemistry). With Charlie as a recurring 'ghost', plus the new character every week, Raines had the potential to be a long-lasting success.
< 1 2