Raising Hope

Friday 9:30 PM on FOX Premiered Sep 21, 2010 In Season

neomichel

Raising Hope Fan Reviews (28)

• Shame

The problem is it's called Raising Hope but we barely saw any of that; it was more about the shenanigans of the family than raising Hope. It was still a fun show. Shame it got cancelled :(
  • Raising Hope? Not any more

This show needs to go away now. Have a think, when was the last episode that didn't mainly concentrate on the parents? They've been done to death and there are lots of other shows like that.
  • quilty pleasure

Can't help it this is still my guilty pleasure. I know this show really sucks, but I still laugh at it most of the time. Bert is my favorite. Yes, I still think this show is a hoot.
  • Never seemed to get better

Few ep (10-11)
  • a lady never discusses her business

I tell everyone about the show. I tape it. My kind of humor.

Love the fact it is called raising hope and she doesn't speak or are even in some episodes. Main idea is she is cute.
  • I agree with the kid: "Well Done, Mike"!!!

RAISING HOPE - MY TAKE ON FRIDAY'S FOURTH SEASON PREMIERE EPISODES

Episode #1: "DEJA VU MAN"

I agree with the "Amigos De Garcia" kid: Well Done, Mike!

I was so worried what was going to happen to "Raising Hope" after making the mistake of watching the first couple episodes of "The Millers" because it was allegedly "from" Greg Garcia. (When in reality I've noticed that Garcia only wrote some version of the original episode and didn't direct any they've all been directed by James Burrows to look and [with the incessant canned laughter] just like all of his other inane multi-camera

But as soon as I saw Mike Mariano's name come up on Friday's Premiere episode my hopes were indeed raised, as Mariano wrote or was otherwise involved in some of my favorite "Raising Hope" and "My Name is Earl" episodes.

And I was not disappointed! Not only because of all the times I literally laughed out loud at the clever humor (from "The Barber of Nates-Seville" to "it tastes like the ocean threw up in my mouth"!), but because of the intricacy and warmth of the story itself.

And for his (and everyone else's) courage involved to not treat the gay biological parent with kid gloves but as a real person! For that, ultimately, is giving gay people far more respect that treating them in a condescending matter (as has so often been done on other shows) by acting like they all are perfect. When in reality, they are just as flawed as human as the rest of us.

In being willing to show that, there is ultimate acceptance.

Episode #2: "BURT BUCKS"

Alas, I found the second half-hour episode a bit of a disappointment. The basic idea was fantastic, but the execution was lacking.

First, the writing wasn't nearly at the Mike Mariano/ Greg Garcia/ Bobby Bowman level even in general dramaturgical and comedic terms. But that isn't what bothers me the most after all, I know it is humanly impossible for them to write all of the episodes [as much as I wish they could!].

No, what is worse are the very specific misrepresentation of what alternative currencies are all about misrepresentations I fear could actually do significant damage to an important tool in improving people's lives.

For instance, having Burt repeatedly claim that the primary advantage to bartering (or, later, Burt Bucks) is "eliminating the middle man", and then having such elimination (so to speak) almost immediately cause somebody an injury.

And then shortly afterwards having it strongly implied, in a nonsensical manner by the placement of various peoples names on the board (and thus how Burt connects them) that his alternative currency system is a sleazy system on the order of a pyramid scheme.

Note that this is all done before Burt (or anyone else) has done anything even slightly unethical with the currency system itself! It is only after Bart decides to print up extra (unearned) Burt Bucks that he does something wrong.

Now granted the episode gets this part right, showing how it just leads to massive inflation, to the point (as in WWII era Germany) it would take a wheel-barrel full of currency just to buy a loaf of bread.

(Of course, it wasn't too realistic that things would get to this point in such a small community before people stopped accepting Burt Bucks, but that's okay in a

But then a couple of more major distortions are depicted. First, we are lead to believe that it cost a gargantuan amount of money to print up all those Burt Bucks, when it probably would have cost less than a hundred bucks. (Or less if he had access to a computer just the cost of the ink and

Now I realize this was done to permit the "owe the Chinese" joke, but that's a lot of distortion for a small payoff. For of course we don't owe the Chinese so many billions for printing currency for us (our government does that all too well itself), but for all of the products we have bought from them, such as hi-def TVs and such. (I have an old TV by the way as I refuse to buy a new TV until they are made in the USA).

Now, if the episode had been hilarious and heartwarming one might be willing to forgive all of these horrible economic distortions but lets face it, it wasn't. I think the only time I laughed out loud was when Virginia (I think) told the guy he had to apologize to his mother (as up to then we didn't know they were related). And even that is kind of a formula joke.

Now granted I am biased as I have written several articles explaining the nature of currency and the advantages of alternative currencies (see link to a couple of examples below), as well as having the middle section of a contest-semi-finalist screenplay take place in an obscure community that has virtually replaced the use of dollars with a local currency. (And, okay, yes, I wish one didn't have to be a member of the WGAw or have an agent before one can get a spec RH read teleplay

But all of that aside, the main point is that all of the horrible misrepresentations of alternative currency systems (and basic economics) in this episode is likely going to make it tougher for those like me to get communities to try alternative currencies.

Fortunately, I have a solution! Since Tyler /"The Crabman" (Eddie Steeples) has long been known (since the "Earl" days) to be a wise and just man, how about having an ongoing bit for the rest of series whereby people occasionally pay for products and services here and there around town (subtly, without calling attention to it, it's just an accepted part of life) with "Darnell Dollars"?!

Whatta ya say, Mike? If you're reading this how about it?!

0 938316572 2013/11/07/bitcoin#comment-1122588536

• Awesome. Never too late to start.

Been watching this since its underdog days on tv. This show has just got better with time. Its one sitcom I can count on for a few chuckles every episode. The characters really grow on you. Love the way they vacillate between hope and resignation... the unpredictable laugh-aloud situations... and the surprisingly sophisticated execution. I believe it to be a most unpretentious delightfully tongue-in-cheek social commentary. Among my top 5 sitcoms of all time. Frasier ALWAYS comes first :-)
  • love the show, but s03e21 bliah

episode 21 season 3,... bliah !!!

and musical?

what where you thinking??

not good at all...
  • more family sitcoms! less reality contests please!

I hope that FOX gives us another great family sitcom in the fall of 2013 like Raising Hope!

I'm so sick of 'has-been' celebrity contests and reality shows (esp singing competitions)!

• Just great!

Wow, I watched one random episode and just fell in love with the show. Now I've seen all of of them, had great news that the show was renewed, but got the bad news that this season just ended. Can't wait for next season, I just know it's gonna be great.
  • Terrible and Horrible!

I don't understand why anybody would watch this sitcom contains a family, whose entire minds are extremely contaminated! They make a mess, causing more trash by too much violence, language, and sex everywhere, especially right in front of their young infant! This is like that recent fallen-victim sitcom, "Ben And Kate". I understand that this show got renewed again, but I hope it gets axed, by then, with a precise series finale on their own!
  • This show does raise Hope for the future of great comedy!

Very good show.

This is a fun and energetic show. I like the fact that it is almost impossible to dislike any characters in this show (as they all have likeable qualities). Much of the time there is at least one character from every TV sitcom that gets on your nerves, well there isn't in this show.

Cloris Leachman does steal the show though. She is truly hilarious as Maw Maw. It is nice to see her in a new comedy (as I also loved her despicable Grandma Ida character on 'Malcolm In The Middle').
  • Raising Hope has raised my hopes

This show is consistantly funny without rehashing the same jokes and plots from other sit-coms like so many other comedies often do(I'm looking at you Friends) Betty White might be consided the hip, go to old lady now days, but Cloris Leechman is better than she ever was. I can't think of another show where when the old person shows up, the show gets better. Sabrina seems to get hotter each time you see her . Another great show by a great creative team. Why did TBS bring back such a horrible show as Couger Town and not save My Name is Earl?

• Amazing Show

The best thing about this show is Maw Maw, who does a brilliant performance in the show respective to her age. She just cant stop making us laugh our pants off. I think Sabrina is damn cute and her performance can be seen as a very versatile and she deserves an award for it.
  • A clever title goes here!

I absolutely LOVE this show. I haven't missed one episode and I think the series needs to keep growing !! The family is hilarious, the story line is hilarious & i get so into it everytime i watch it. I HATE how short it is, but its better then not watching it at all. I think there needs to be some more seasons !!! :D
  • so fun!

I love this show! It's one of the only comedy shows that can get me laughing my a** off! I love that the family is so crazy! Most families have their quirks
  • Love the show!

BEST SHOW EVER! Way to go Raising Hope! Keep it up!

Btw, the baby's so cuuute! Love the show!
  • Can't Wait!

This show always has me in stitches. Can't wait for the season premiere!
  • raising hope

i just luv this show pity its only on for half an hour and the baby so cute
  • OMG! I Love It!

I just LOVE this show, i laugh the ENTIRE time that im watching it. The Chance family is just so trashy that its funny. This show is just so silly and very fun to watch. I especially like the relationship that Burt and Virginia have, they are just so funny together. This show just catches me off guard with its funnyness. Like the episode where Sabrina goes off her meds, Jimmy is just searching for some blankets in his closet and then BAM close up of Sabrina with pantyhose on her head! Its just easy to laugh at and there isnt a lot of thinking involved. I just love this show, simple as that.
  • way to go "RH"

well i am eagerly waiting for the third season to air, as i am completely carried away with this RH, i like how they have shown middle class thing in a very funny n very positive way..
  • Hate it!

No past or present series comes to mind where the central character(Lucas Neff) is so unattractive(I mean ugly) and so unfunny. And Cloris Leachman grosses me out everytime she appears. Martha Plimpton and Garret Dillahunt are watchable and nice together. This show kinda wants to be like The Middle but has a loooong way to go. Can't believe it got a full season order and people are watching this instead of Running Wilde which is 100 times more funier. Fingers crossed it won't get renewed for a 2nd season because it is very weak. How could ABC even listen to the pitch of this show knowing the cast still blows my mind.
  • What happened to this show? I thought the first episode of the the season was a little strange, and after the second one I am sure something has gone wrong. Can this show be saved? Probably not; when it goes this wrong this early its usually gone.

The problem is the characters appear to have lost their personalities. They were unusual and sweet. The scenes in the grocery store were funny and unlike any other shows on TV. Virginia was just perfect as she was portrayed but now I'm afraid she has lost that innocent quality that was so attractive. Jimmy doesn't seem himself at all and Burt now appears to be just dumb and not very funny. Maw Maw hasn't really been the comic figure she was last season either. With this many changes this has to be the result of a decision by the producers that the show wasn't on the right track last year. I couldn't disagree more. Last season "Raising Hope" was one of the more enjoyable and different shows on TV, now it appears it is going to just be another sitcom. Too bad.

• GIVE THIS SHOW A CHANCE!!!

Congratulations to the creators of "MY Name is Earl" are due here. This show is quite funny although it may not be as good as Earl it certainly has great moments. All of the charcters are very likable and dare I say...lovable. Maw Maw is by far the best but all of the cast deserves praise for what they do. Although it's not the best show ever made and it's not the best thing on tv right now but you can be assured that if you watch this show you will laugh.

• Jimmy wants more out of life. He gets more, in the form of a baby daughter. His crazy family are reluctant to help him raise her, as they need raising themselves.

We really enjoyed this show. It was funny and just crazy enough with engaging, realistic characters. This is just what we were looking for. Can't wait to see more. Love all the actors/actresses, they're all doing a bang-up job! With so many reality shows (some good, some bad, and some really, really bad) splattered all over my t.v. screen, this show takes us back to what t.v. used to be - entertainment for entertainment's sake.

We'll be tuning in each week to see what else poor Jimmy will have to endure on his way to maturity as he struggles to be a good dad.
  • Silly fun and lots of smiles, especially for young parents raising babies.

TV's best new anti-family provides a fun half hour of tv with lots of laughs coming from all those impossible situations. They manage to add a few moments worth thinking about about parenthood and life. Unlike too many other shows, this newcomer doesn't scatter its storyline all over the place so it succeeds with a clear direction, some smart writing and fun actors. Overall, it's quite possibly the best new comedy on TV. Young parents will love this new take on the average american family. It's all silly fun and lots of smiles, especially for all the young parents raising babies.
  • A little bit Malcombe in the Middle, a little bit My Name Is Earl...not bad!

For once, a fairly lively and genuinely funny prime time sit-com. I've been bored to tears by most of what passes for comedy this season, but Raising Hope made me sit up and take notice. This show has a lot of the qualities that made My Name is Earl and Malcombe in the Middle great shows. Though not as fast paced as either of those two favorites of mine, Raising Hope caught my attention. Genuinely funny and quick witted (except for old grandma of course but I thought her bits were funny as well) I really like this show. I will continue to follow it.
  • We loved this show!

What a great show,we need more like this. At some points my husband and I laughed so hard we had tears. I miss the older shows like this. They need more family shows on Abc,Cbs,and so on. Not everyone out there has pay tv. Some of us had to give it up. The grandma had to be my favorite. And the the whole changeing the diaper part was great. And how the kid didn't know he had to strap the car seat down.lol..I can not wait to see next weeks show and the repeats as well. This is a keeper.