Raising the Bar

TNT (ended 2009)

Raising the Bar Fan Reviews (24)

• There is potential here, if the producers are willing to make some significant changes.

7.3
    I went out of my way to watch the pilot episode, becoming one of the millions drawn in by the advertising. Given the cast, the producer, and the basic premise, I expected solid, engaging entertainment.

Instead, I got the undisciplined, mouthy attorney versus the over-sexed, maniac judge. That judge has to go first, either much less of her or a sturdy rewrite. Anyone can have moments of extreme arrogance or profound stupidity, but all she did was swing between the two. Give her a gag, a courtroom law refresher, and HRT, somebody, and quick.

Then there's Jerry, our impassioned public defender. The job apparently requires really bad hair. Jerry also needs to revisit law school along with the judge (a one-photo ID? Not lately.), along with a few charm classes. But he has heart and a lot of potential. Just stop writing him stupid.

Charlie is the best character in the show, both as written and as acted. Don't change anything about him.

Anything Gloria Reuben does is good. I'm glad to see her in a series. Same goes for Jaime Richards.

Prosecuters who will stop at nothing to get the "W" irrespective of the truth no doubt exist but, at least this week, behave so at their own peril. This show has an office full of prosecutorial alligators: small brains, totally focused on the successful destruction of their prey. Right out of the chute, Jerry's honey does all she can to hide his exculpatory witness so she can get her win. She doesn't care that his client may well be innocent or that her behavior will undoubtedly terminate their relationship. She doesn't even seem to register either issue.

Assuming that this show doesn't mean to be a total farce, and that I just missed the times I was supposed to laugh, then it has gone way too far in its attempt to show the flaws in the legal system. By pushing the stereotypes so far out of whack, the show negates its message altogether.

Good news is that the next two episodes do seem to address some of the glaring problems of the pilot. They still aren't where they could be, but there's hope.