Ranma ½ Forums

Fuji Television (ended 1992)

Which season has the most anime exclusive episodes?

Antiyonder

[1]Aug 26, 2008
    • level: 39

I've decided that after some other purchases, I'm going to pick up the Ranma 1/2 mangas. Thus said, I figure I'll go after any season sets of the anime that aren't heavy on the manga based stories. That way I'm not paying too much for the same stories in different formats.

Now I hear that Season 6 and 7 are the ones that are mostly anime exclusives. Would those two be my best bet?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Daemon9

[2]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 4

Firstly, all of the stories in the anime could be considered unique to the anime- even ones that appeared in the manga are tweaked in various ways. For an example, in the manga, Akane doesn't really agree to Kodachi's wager for the right to bet Ranma in Kodachi's first storyline- in the anime, she not only agrees, but the arrangement is a wager over who can *marry* Ranma. The other girls after Ranma (Kodachi, Shampoo, Ukyo) are given a much better treatment in the anime, rather than being one-dimensional characters like in the manga.

I'd also like to point out that the anime didn't convert the later storylines of the manga deliberately, it went out of business before Rumiko T akahashi had even conceived of those storylines and no one has yet thought to revive it, despite the fact the series reruns in Japan all the time. A new OAV is being produced though, so there may yet be hope that the series will be revived.

However, this isn't answering your question. Here's a breakdown of how many anime-exclusive episodes each season has (going somewhat off the top of my head, been a while since I've watched everything):
    Season 1: 2
    Season 2: 2
    Season 3: 15
    Season 4: 14
    Season 5: 15
    Season 6: 14
    Season 7: 14

The movies are unique to the anime canon as well, as are OAVS 2, 5 and 6- all of the others, including the newly produced 13, are adaptations of manga storylines that came out after the series was cancelled.

Antiyonder

[3]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 39
    Daemon9 wrote:

However, this isn't answering your question. Here's a breakdown of how many anime-exclusive episodes each season has (going somewhat off the top of my head, been a while since I've watched everything):
    Season 1: 2
    Season 2: 2
    Season 3: 15
    Season 4: 14
    Season 5: 15
    Season 6: 14
    Season 7: 14

The movies are unique to the anime canon as well, as are OAVS 2, 5 and 6- all of the others, including the newly produced 13, are adaptations of manga storylines that came out after the series was cancelled.

Thanks, and actually it is a satisfiable answer. Mainly because getting Season 3-7 wouldn't result in too much double dipping for me.