Ranma ½ Forums

Fuji Television (ended 1992)

You think Adult Swim would ever air it?

jinson_cme

[21]Oct 6, 2006
    • level: 4
    I'm currently watching it and it has been edited to hell. The nudity censorship leads to several parts of the story left unexplained but the humor is still there. Overall, its not a bad effort, although cut, at the original.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Narutozatchboy

[22]Oct 21, 2006
    • level: 2

i my god i want ranma on adult swim so bad because i just bought season 1 for $114.00 and i cant afford the others

so i hope they air it and they will probably edit some of it just like toonami edited tenchi muyo, universe,and in tokyo

astrawoid

[23]Nov 30, 2006
    • level: 6
    Narutozatchboy wrote:

i my god i want ranma on adult swim so bad because i just bought season 1 for $114.00 and i cant afford the others

so i hope they air it and they will probably edit some of it just like toonami edited tenchi muyo, universe,and in tokyo

You know you can get the Ranma 1/2 seasons on ebay.  They weren't the official English version but I got a great deal and the discs still played in regular dvd players.  I bought them a while ago so I can't remember exactly where I got them but I also got the entire Sailor Moon series including the Stars (though that was only available in english subtitles) recently on ebay and was really happy with the quality.

It would be nice to see Ranma get aired on Adult Swim or something like that because it deserves to get a lot more recognition because it's just such a great show.  Not to mention Inuyasha was written by the Rumiko and it's well liked and she's the one that wrote Ranma.

GoingGhost

[24]Dec 2, 2006

Just think how popular it can become again..

Also Season will be available again in Jan/Feb 2007 for around 40 dollars.  Got my on order at Borders.

Carycomic

[25]Feb 3, 2007
    • level: 13
    colormyworld wrote:

I don't know which station it was originally on: I own the dvds.

As for would anyone air it...probably no. Think of the HORRIBLE things that the company would have to deal with! (note the sarcasm)

-Gender bending

-Exposure

-Homosexuality [No offense towards homosexuals, but it's true that America in general has issues with homosexuality...I have nothing against any of you though, so don't take it the wrong way...^^"]

-Blood

-Violence

-Fiancees [Oh no! They're too young!]

And of course...

-Japanese names

So, unless they cut out...a lot....than probably not.

I'm afraid you're right about the editing. I remember watching the Outer Planet episodes of SAILOR MOON. Wanting to know more about Sailors Jupiter, Saturn, et al., I did a little browsing at Wikipedia. Imagine my shock at reading that two of them were LESBIANS!

Obviously, all dialogue pertaining to that bit of info was--quite literally (and deliberately)--lost in the translation.

Edited on 02/03/2007 8:48am

colormyworld

[26]Feb 4, 2007
    • level: 11
    Oh, they edited Sailor Moon to DEATH. But think-they didn't air Sailor Stars in the US, and Ranma is "worse" than that when it comes to nudity & sexual content. It's not going to be shown here unless CN goes through some big changes...

Leu-kun

[27]Feb 4, 2007
    Sorry for you people, maybe you can find it on youtube, but in latin america is being aired by CN on toonami... maybe they'll give a chance later

-Ranma-

[28]Feb 18, 2007
    • level: 10
    I wish they would that would be great. I have them all on dvd but I would love for other people to discover the show.

Element-17

[29]Feb 19, 2007
    • level: 28

Okay, so we've decided that [adult swim] couldn't show Ranma ½ with current FCC standards. But, do you think Comedy Central could show it? Not that they ever would, and if they did, they'd ruin it more than any other channel, even if [adult swim] aired it drastically cut, but think about it. Comedy Central shows South Park movies, and other programs uncut and uncensored (very late at night though, and without much notice beforehand). And those programs are much worse than Ranma ½ could ever be.

Edited on 02/19/2007 11:41am

Carycomic

[30]Feb 19, 2007
    • level: 13
    They might also show it on the FUSE network. They're already permitted to air "Pants Off Dance Off" (which I use as a cure for insomnia).

lequericacalvo

[31]May 7, 2007
    • level: 32
    thatother1dude wrote:
    topic. Also what US station was it on in the first place?

Dont know, but in latin america is aired on toonami, althought is the edited version of ranma.

DeadlyTowers

[32]May 10, 2007
    • level: 1

They definately should. I know it's on Cartoon Network in Japan... the trick is the nudity- they could always just block out nipples with distortion or black squares- I already own the whole series on DVD but I would love to see Ranma televised- maybe its popularity would recieve such a resurgence that they might even decide to make some more episodes.

Willie_Dynamite

[33]Jul 18, 2007
    • level: 5

The nudity would be an issue. Even if they were to blur it, i'm sure they'd still get some heat for it.The fact that The Cartoon Network is a subsidiary of Turner Broadcasting, any heat may have a detrimental effect on investments and may deter potential investor relations. All in all, it's about the bottom line, and America is just too uptight about nudity and sexual ambiguity...

Edited on 07/18/2007 3:42pm
    Edited 2 total times.

DuoMaxwell007

[34]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 12
    ive seen nudity on adult swim

sakio_hyubishi

[35]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 3
    They really should. Maybe the influence of Ranma would help get these kids' minds cleaned of all this Naruto and One Peice nonsense.

sakio_hyubishi

[36]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 3
    colormyworld wrote:

As for would anyone air it...probably no. Think of the HORRIBLE things that the company would have to deal with! (note the sarcasm)

-Gender bending

-Exposure

-Homosexuality [No offense towards homosexuals, but it's true that America in general has issues with homosexuality...I have nothing against any of you though, so don't take it the wrong way...^^"]

-Blood

-Violence

And of course...

-Japanese names

You're acting like America is the prudiest country on the planet. True it was formed, but we're getting less-prudy every day (talk to the old people who keep complaining about it). Your thing about homosexuality is false too, we're getting way more tolerant of gays than ever before (just talk to the church). There's way more dirty shows being aired on American television right now (take a look at Shin Chan and his friend Mr. Elephant).

The whole "America is a Prude Nation" will be played out in a few years, heck soon gays and minorities are gonna have more freedoms than us oprressors (btw, gays and minorities, that's not a shot at you guys, but if you look around and get out of your denial phase, you'll see it to be true).

Anyway, I think Ranma 1/2 would be quite successful here in the states.

kakurenbohide

[37]Aug 19, 2007
    i know why Adult Swim dosent have Ranma 1/2

Element-17

[38]Aug 19, 2007
    • level: 28
    kakurenbohide wrote:
    i know why Adult Swim dosent have Ranma 1/2
    Would you mind telling us?

hellguard777

[39]Aug 21, 2007
    sakio_hyubishi wrote:
    colormyworld wrote:

-Gender bending

-Exposure

-Blood

-Violence

And of course...

-Japanese names

You're acting like America is the prudiest country on the planet. True it was formed, but we're getting less-prudy every day (talk to the old people who keep complaining about it). Your thing about homosexuality is false too, we're getting way more tolerant of gays than ever before (just talk to the church). There's way more dirty shows being aired on American television right now (take a look at Shin Chan and his friend Mr. Elephant).

The whole "America is a Prude Nation" will be played out in a few years, heck soon gays and minorities are gonna have more freedoms than us oprressors (btw, gays and minorities, that's not a shot at you guys, but if you look around and get out of your denial phase, you'll see it to be true).

Anyway, I think Ranma 1/2 would be quite successful here in the states.

No, Ranma wouldn't be succesful in the US. With all the editing they would kill all the humor in it. If you don't believe me, a good example would be Saint Seiya (AKA Knights of the Zodiac) They Cartoon Network totally tore that anime apart with all the editing and green blood. How can you kill one of the greatest anime of all time? I don't know, Saint Seiya was a success everywhere else in the world. I guess you just have to ask the American Dubbers and Editors. They were able to do it in record time, and they can do the same thing with Ranma.

By the way, i was 6 years old (1994) when i watched Ranma in South America and they used to show it in the afternoons. What's with people here that can't even shot it as a PG 13? Are people too perverted here to control themselves?

ranmaofborg

[40]Aug 22, 2007
    I don't understand why Ranma 1/2 cant be shown on US television considering that in Japan it was aired during kid shows.