Ranma ½ Forums

Fuji Television (ended 1992)

You think Adult Swim would ever air it?

Element-17

[41]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 28
    ranmaofborg wrote:
    I don't understand why Ranma 1/2 cant be shown on US television considering that in Japan it was aired during kid shows.
    Eh, people in the U.S. are offended my the slightest, little thing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tupac4lyfe

[42]Aug 24, 2007
    • level: 4
    hellguard777 wrote:
    sakio_hyubishi wrote:
    colormyworld wrote:

I don't know which station it was originally on: I own the dvds.

As for would anyone air it...probably no. Think of the HORRIBLE things that the company would have to deal with! (note the sarcasm)

-Gender bending

-Exposure

-Homosexuality [No offense towards homosexuals, but it's true that America in general has issues with homosexuality...I have nothing against any of you though, so don't take it the wrong way...^^"]

-Blood

-Violence

-Fiancees [Oh no! They're too young!]

And of course...

-Japanese names

So, unless they cut out...a lot....than probably not.

You're acting like America is the prudiest country on the planet. True it was formed, but we're getting less-prudy every day (talk to the old people who keep complaining about it). Your thing about homosexuality is false too, we're getting way more tolerant of gays than ever before (just talk to the church). There's way more dirty shows being aired on American television right now (take a look at Shin Chan and his friend Mr. Elephant).

The whole "America is a Prude Nation" will be played out in a few years, heck soon gays and minorities are gonna have more freedoms than us oprressors (btw, gays and minorities, that's not a shot at you guys, but if you look around and get out of your denial phase, you'll see it to be true).

Anyway, I think Ranma 1/2 would be quite successful here in the states.

No, Ranma wouldn't be succesful in the US. With all the editing they would kill all the humor in it. If you don't believe me, a good example would be Saint Seiya (AKA Knights of the Zodiac) They Cartoon Network totally tore that anime apart with all the editing and green blood. How can you kill one of the greatest anime of all time? I don't know, Saint Seiya was a success everywhere else in the world. I guess you just have to ask the American Dubbers and Editors. They were able to do it in record time, and they can do the same thing with Ranma.

By the way, i was 6 years old (1994) when i watched Ranma in South America and they used to show it in the afternoons. What's with people here that can't even shot it as a PG 13? Are people too perverted here to control themselves?

All, the show you guys are describing, Sailor Moon, Outlaw Star, and Saint Seiya, were all aired on Toonami. Also, when they were showing Sailor Moon and Outlaw Star, Toonami was during the day. Now, Toonami is shown Saturday nights. Also, don't forget, CN/Toonami and Adult Swim are considered as seperate beings in Time-Warner (or Turner) ratings. With Adult Swim showing bloody shows like Blood+ and Trinty Blood, I think Adult Swim, not Toonami, can pull Ramna off. I never seen Adult Swim change names or change blood color, that's Toonami. Besides, these things aren't Adult Swim's problem, it's the dub company (Viz; Funmation; Squarenix; & the main butcher, 4kids
    Edited on 08/24/2007 3:05pm

Element-17

[43]Aug 24, 2007
    Ranma ½must not go to [adult swim], IMO. Not that it can't, but it shouldn't. It's dubbed by Viz, and almost everything they get is good enough for Toonami. A few censors aren't much. I mean, who cares if it's at least publicised?

QuintessenceO_o

[44]Sep 3, 2007
    • level: 5
    I Remember about 9 years ago they aired Ranma in Mexico and i think they just used blurs to cesor out the nudity. So why not put it on Adult Swim Ps. did you guys noticed that about a year ago at the beggining of adult swim they showed a warning that said "Adult Swim may contain material not suitable forviwers under the age of 18" but now it only says "Adult Swim may contain material not suitable for some viewers" i think they changed this after they aried bleach since it was getting so popular and they were selling so much merchadice and then they realized they had alot of young viewers so now my guess is theres a less chance of it ever airing on Adult Swim and about the blood being edited out has anyone ever thought why they aired Blood+ and that is a really bloody show even the title says it. Ha

Element-17

[45]Sep 4, 2007
    That's a good point. I've noticed that there isn't as much nudity in the later episodes, why can't they at least show those ones?

zzddll27

[46]Sep 4, 2007
    • level: 11
    if it aired in mexico, it could air in the states.

RaijinPaladinix

[47]Sep 22, 2007
    • level: 52
    zzddll27 wrote:

Sheesh, they couldn't even air Yu-Gi-Oh! uncut in the States, but did in Mexico.

I'd like to see this since the Rumiko Takahashi made it; I liked Inuyasha. If Adult Swim can go all out on violence, hence, Blood+, where everyone gets their heads chopped off in a fountain of blood (Sweet!!), then some nudity won't kill anybody. I've noticed that God**** and a-hole aren't censored anymore on Robot Chicken and Metalocalypse; a few years back, such language was bleeped. I wish the U.S. could stop this crusade of censorship.

QuintessenceO_o

[48]Sep 27, 2007
    • level: 5
    RaijinPaladinix wrote:
    zzddll27 wrote:

Sheesh, they couldn't even air Yu-Gi-Oh! uncut in the States, but did in Mexico.

I'd like to see this since the Rumiko Takahashi made it; I liked Inuyasha. If Adult Swim can go all out on violence, hence, Blood+, where everyone gets their heads chopped off in a fountain of blood (Sweet!!), then some nudity won't kill anybody. I've noticed that God**** and a-hole aren't censored anymore on Robot Chicken and Metalocalypse; a few years back, such language was bleeped. I wish the U.S. could stop this crusade of censorship.

I agree with you.

thatother1dude

[49]Nov 20, 2007
    • level: 13
    A while ago I rember seeing Ranma 1/2 on a list of shows Adult Swim passed on airing (the only other one I can remember is Fruits Basket).

RaijinPaladinix

[50]Nov 23, 2007
    thatother1dude wrote:
    A while ago I rember seeing Ranma 1/2 on a list of shows Adult Swim passed on airing (the only other one I can remember is Fruits Basket).

Was it passed on because Adult Swim didn't like it or think it would be popular, or because of content?

daniel251

[51]Dec 8, 2007
    • level: 17

Go get the user: squirrelboyfan

I saw one of Ranma 1/2 DVD in Best Buy.

Ranma 1/2 movie are in the movies in 90's.

Movie DVD released on UK.

UK aired Ranma 1/2?

lequericacalvo

[52]Dec 9, 2007
    • level: 32
    hellguard777 wrote:
    sakio_hyubishi wrote:
    colormyworld wrote:

As for would anyone air it...probably no. Think of the HORRIBLE things that the company would have to deal with! (note the sarcasm)

-Gender bending

-Exposure

-Homosexuality [No offense towards homosexuals, but it's true that America in general has issues with homosexuality...I have nothing against any of you though, so don't take it the wrong way...^^"]

-Blood

-Violence

And of course...

-Japanese names

You're acting like America is the prudiest country on the planet. True it was formed, but we're getting less-prudy every day (talk to the old people who keep complaining about it). Your thing about homosexuality is false too, we're getting way more tolerant of gays than ever before (just talk to the church). There's way more dirty shows being aired on American television right now (take a look at Shin Chan and his friend Mr. Elephant).

The whole "America is a Prude Nation" will be played out in a few years, heck soon gays and minorities are gonna have more freedoms than us oprressors (btw, gays and minorities, that's not a shot at you guys, but if you look around and get out of your denial phase, you'll see it to be true).

No, Ranma wouldn't be succesful in the US. With all the editing they would kill all the humor in it. If you don't believe me, a good example would be Saint Seiya (AKA Knights of the Zodiac) They Cartoon Network totally tore that anime apart with all the editing and green blood. How can you kill one of the greatest anime of all time? I don't know, Saint Seiya was a success everywhere else in the world. I guess you just have to ask the American Dubbers and Editors. They were able to do it in record time, and they can do the same thing with Ranma.

By the way, i was 6 years old (1994) when i watched Ranma in South America and they used to show it in the afternoons. What's with people here that can't even shot it as a PG 13? Are people too perverted here to control themselves?

So true, with the edition many great shows have been butchered.

daniel251

[53]Dec 27, 2007
    • level: 17
    Make that TV-14 DLSV and Canada: 14

RaijinPaladinix

[54]Jan 1, 2008
    daniel251 wrote:
    Make that TV-14 DLSV and Canada: 14

Acutally, Adult Swim should handle this situation similarly to Blood+. This show has so much graphic violence and gore. It has a "viewer discretion advised" banner for every episode for intense graphic violence, and most violent episodes are rated TV-MA-V.

To that end, I don't see why Adult Swim could put a thing saying "Viewer discretion advised: this program contains nudity." And give it a TV-MA-S rating. I think this is more of a standards' thing than Adult Swim personally. I just don't understand why we can see creatures getting their heads chopped off and not nudity.

Firetears

[57]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 23
    sakio_hyubishi wrote:
    colormyworld wrote:

-Gender bending

-Exposure

-Blood

-Violence

And of course...

-Japanese names

Although I do think the whole "America is the worst country" phase is pretty dumb, that post does makes a lot of sense. The dumb thing is, we blame most of everything on TV these days when kids who are on drugs and have sex aren't even watching these shows that "influence them". Ranma 1/2 in its original state will definitely be called an influential program and there's no way it would air in America without being edited. I honestly think Cartoon Network needs to stick a middle finger up and air this show in full glory. It makes no sense that we can watch violence on TV but we can't see a little animated nudity. Besides, if mothers are really that concerned, they'll monitor what their kids are watching instead of attacking the network for airing these "influential" shows.

RaijinPaladinix

[58]Apr 16, 2008
    Firetears wrote:
    Although I do think the whole "America is the worst country" phase is pretty dumb, that post does makes a lot of sense. The dumb thing is, we blame most of everything on TV these days when kids who are on drugs and have sex aren't even watching these shows that "influence them". Ranma 1/2 in its original state will definitely be called an influential program and there's no way it would air in America without being edited. I honestly think Cartoon Network needs to stick a middle finger up and air this show in full glory. It makes no sense that we can watch violence on TV but we can't see a little animated nudity. Besides, if mothers are really that concerned, they'll monitor what their kids are watching instead of attacking the network for airing these "influential" shows.

Yes! I totally agree! If you don't want your kids watching the show, do something about it. Use the V-Chip!

RaijinPaladinix

[59]Apr 16, 2008
    Firetears wrote:

Yes! I totally agree! If you don't want your kids watching the show, do something about it. Use the V-Chip!

asrealasitgets

[60]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 7
    Well as a mom that watches this show I wouldn't care if they put this show on at night after my kid is in bed. I watch this show in Mexico anyways during the daytime hours. But I can't remember if it was edited or not.