A Ray Donovan Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on Showtime (Returning June 26, 2016)

The fix is in... for Ray Donovan! Wait, I'm not even sure that makes sense. But anyway, Showtime has renewed its Hollywood "fixer" drama Ray Donovan for a second season, which makes a ton of sense, if you're Showtime. The drama set a network record for a series debut with 1.35 million viewers, and then went against the television laws of nature and drew even more viewers in its second week. Mind you, we're not looking at NCIS or even Game of Thrones numbers, but for pay-cable network Showtime, they equate to a good start for a new series. Showtime also says that Ray Donovan's viewership rose to 6 million once things like OnDemand, DVR, and people peeping into the living rooms of homes with Showtime were factored in. 

Okay, editorializing time! This is a series that will be fun to follow, numbers-wise, because it's a new pillar of Showtime's drama slate via attrition; Dexter, its current lead-in and Showtime's biggest ratings hit, is calling it a series later this summer. After that, everyone moves up a rung, meaning Homeland becomes Showtime's QB1 after second season that earned mixed reviews, wildly underwatched vet Shameless lands in the two-hole, and Ray Donovan is the new up-and-comer, with the unproven Masters of Sex set to debut this fall. The network has a lot riding on Ray Donovan's success, but based on what little I've seen, I don't know that I see it being the hit Showtime needs once initial interest fades and it doesn't have Dexter as a lead-in (although lead-ins are admittedly less important in the world of pay cable).

What do you all think? Can Ray Donovan fill the void left by Dexter?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/27/2015

Season 3 : Episode 12

Next Episode

AIRS ON 6/26/2016

Season 4 : Episode 1

39 Comments
Comments (39)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Didn't think I would like it. LOVED IT. I want that knuckle dragging Ray to throw me against a wall and have his way with me. #sexycaveman
Flag
Dexter season 1 2 3 and maybe 4 were awesome but the only one responsible for killing Dexter is showtime. They messed everything up by obviously not knowing where the series would en en more important when. The ending should have been written faster then just after 8 seasons.
Ray Donovan gives me the same feeling I got with dexter when I stated to watch it. It was blowing me away! Great story line, awesome characters, good casting. Just great. I hope they learned from other shows that stalled to much and killed themselves.
Flag
After watching 11 episodes I can confidently say that Ray Donovan stands on its own. It doesn't fill anyone's shoes, and if the script quality keeps up, it's going to have a good life span. The characters are extraordinary and the cast is jaw-dropping delicious. For anyone wavering based only on the first few episodes, I encourage you to watch the season. I'm impressed.
Flag
Its' a subject that some people may find disturbing, and Ray Donovan is certainly an antihero, but the drama is definitely compelling and different. The writing and acting are superb and much better than anything else that is on at that time. The show has already captured a loyal audience and it is growing, already a good sign. Thankfully, it is not up against NCIS, and thank goodness for on demand viewing. If the writing, acting, and story keep up with this kind of quality. I think its a keeper. The writers just have to avoid some of the pitfalls where they take the characters off on a trip that only a deux ex machina can get them out of.
Flag
Can't pick either option cause it won't make up for Dexter but its better than just a middle-of-the- road drama
Flag
Viewers just want something interesting to watch, and so far RD fits that bill. If the show can keep me watching until the closing, I'm good. It may not be The Wire or Homeland, but it will suffice. Plus the acting is excellent. At first, I didn't really like the main character RD, but through LS acting skills and the obvious dysfuntion of his family, I began to see why RD is the way he is. And by 2nd eppy, I enjoy this guy. But who wouldn't with a father like his. JV does a good job of giving cringe worthy presentation of dialogue.
Flag
Good production value, awesome cast, and the potential for something good. Problem is, I have no clue what the show is about. It seems to want to present similar stresses in terms of 'problems at home' for a guy working in the underworld as was so successful for The Sopranos, but it's NOT the Sopranos and won't work. There's no substance gelling the show together yet.

Again, amazing cast, though. Hurry up and make the show about something before we lose interest!
Flag
Awesome!
Flag
RD is very good and getting better all the time!
Flag
I think RD is one of the best things on-air right now. It's excellent. Amazing performances, brilliant sense of humor, and a great story. I'm certainly enjoying it more than Dexter, which hasn't been great since S4's Trinity died.
Flag
exactly! Great comment!
Flag
I wouldn't say it';s middle of the road but it's not fantastic either, it's good, not great, but solid. And I anticipate it only getting better.
Flag
I didn't expect to enjoy Ray Donovan so much, but it's been a nice surprise. And I want to see more of the cute and deranged Disney starlet.
Flag
Ray Donovan is not meant to be the replacement to Dexter. Dexters audience is clearly meant to be directed towards Penny Dreadful.

"Some of literature's most iconic figures will step into the light on SHOWTIME in PENNY DREADFUL, a psychosexual horror series created, written and executive produced by three-time Oscar(R) nominee John Logan (Hugo, The Aviator, Gladiator) and executive produced by Oscar winner Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Revolutionary Road) and Neal Street's Pippa Harris (Revolutionary Road, Call The Midwife), it was announced today by David Nevins, President of Entertainment, Showtime Networks. PENNY DREADFUL will begin production in London in the second half of 2013.

In PENNY DREADFUL, some of literature's most famously terrifying characters - including Dr. Frankenstein and his creature, Dorian Gray and iconic figures from the novel Dracula - become embroiled in Victorian London. The series weaves together these classic horror origin stories as the characters grapple with their monstrous alienation."
Flag
Sounds like Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen to me. Kinda.
Flag
This sounds more like edgier version of OUAT to me
Flag
It's a poor show imho and it seems enough people agree with me that it won't ever have the general, widespread appeal that Dexter did. And I don't think it will be an awards season magnet either. I think Showtime will be disappointed.
Flag
My friend told me this show was HORRIBLE and he's usually a good judge but I guess I'll check it out for myself. As for losing Dexter as a lead in, so what. Dexter has been losing steam the last several seasons, I've taped S8 first two eps and will watch soon enough. It was one of my favorites the first 4 seasons (GREAT SHOW) but it's hard to keep the creative license going forever, they probably should have packed it in 2 years ago, hopefully they'll finish up on top. As for Ray Donovan, it'll sink or swim on it's own. If it's good it'll be fine, if not...It Gone
Flag
Yay, now can we pretty please get someone reviewing here? I'll be happy to do it if you won't.
Flag
The show definitely got better on the second episode. It's no Dexter, but what, if anything, is? But it is pretty good so I'll keep watching--hear that, Showtime, old guy likes it...
Flag
It has grown more interesting each episode, though I have to say that the scenes which bring an unusual level of discomfort have also increased with each episode. Jon Voight's Mickey Donovan is really something else, nearly every moment he is on screen is repugnant and offensive, which is good television; it had been a while since a character has come along that I just love to hate (besides Cersei & Joffery Lannister Baratheon). SHO seems to be the channel for grown ups behaving badly, and until Mickey Donovan, Nancy Botwin held the "Worst Parent Ever Most in Need of a Smack" honor at my house. I think Ray Donovan still has quite a bit in store yet to deliver and it is a different animal entirely from the rest of SHO's lineup.

PLUS, after seeing the last 2 weeks of Ray Donovan I am now totally paranoid about the kids IM'ing and think perhaps installing sniffer-ware on all computers might not be such a violation of civil rights after all. (Crap, I think I just set back the Snowden legal argument.)
Flag
2 boring, over plotted with some gratuitous crudity clawhammered in episodes followed by a finally decent-ish one.. and you get renewed! blimey things must be desperate.
Flag
I have difficulties conceiving that RD would make it big. The opening ratings are really good, but considering the marketing, not surprising. I also assume that in this time of cable success, Showtime has more subscribers, making it easier to set network records. The show though is kind of boring. It will never make it to eight seasons like Dexter. The story is simply not exiting like one about a serial killer. I'm looking forward to seeing who Dexter will kill next week, but watching Ray and his marriage problems? Not so much.
Flag
It's definitely no Dexter, but it's pretty good, though the fixer premise is underutilized and the Mickey plot, though interesting, cannot hold the series for long. If it gets the tune up it needs, the show could definitely be a keeper.

Besides, I don't see Homeland getting a fourth season. The concept is beginning to wear very thin (unless they pull some gigantic twist out of their ass). That only leaves the wonderful Shameless, but that doesn't get huge ratings. Showtime's gonna get in trouble soonish, especially if Ray doesn't pick things up..
Flag
Ray Donovan CAN fill the void left by Dexter if they focus more on the 'fixing' and dirtier side of Hollywood -- his profession -- rather than the family drama they currently focus on.

At the moment, it's like 75% family stuff and 20% fixing and 5% Jon Voight professing his love for fat black asses.
Flag
I agree. Turn it into Ray and his group outsmarting cops and paparazzi and seriously reduce the amount of family stuff and it could be really good. There is a lot of talent in the show and I feel they are using it poorly.
Flag
Are lead-ins actually relevant in 2013? Do people stay on a channel because they watched the previous show? And how often do people actually watch at the moment something is broadcast, except for live events?
Flag
It never meant anything to me because I never, ever turn the TV on just to see what's on. I hate it when I go to a friend's home and they have the TV aimlessly blasting because it keeps them company. No, I only turn it on to purposely watch something I want to see and the next thing I watch is the same deal. How lazy is it to just keep watching whatever's on? It could be a freakin' reality show f' gads sake...
Flag
And also, how difficult is it to change the channel? It seems to me that ratings are based on an obsolete system..
Flag
Nothing can replace Dexter. Ray Donovan has enough potential to be mildly entertaining but I just don't see it becoming a huge hit.
Flag
RD will soothe my dexter addiction.
Flag
Mine too.
Flag
lol dat gif tho
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    People's List
    NEW