Ray Donovan

Sunday 9:00 PM on Showtime Premiered Jun 30, 2013 Between Seasons

TesserT

Ray Donovan Fan Reviews (48)

7.7
  • Ok Show

3.5
    The show isn't bad, but isn't great either. Some good concepts, but I can't get over the horrid Boston accents and how butt ugly and annoying the wife and daughter are.

It's somewhat of a slow burner. Finished season one, doubt I will jump into season 2
  • awesome show

i really like this show, ray donovans character is awesome. the show itself is pretty damn good to.
  • Like graduating last in your class, but from Harvard!

The biggest problem with RD is that it's just good enough to be compared to shows that are so good RD is like Gilligan's Island in the comparison. People rate it against The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad etc. , and it just can't compete. Not that it's a bad show but c'mon - The Sopranos? Uh uh. The two things I really knock the show for are I know he's got a mostly illegal occupation fixing things for the rich and famous while having a very troubled family life he is worse at fixing. Got that. But how about showing his actual job some times? He seems to do only one per season, and he can barely tear himself from personal crap to do that. His wife! She's supposed to be some street smart girl Ray came up from the bad parts of Boston with yet she comes off as a naive idiot. Ray started as a low level criminal. His dad's a con and con man, one brother is a punchy ex boxer and the other is an emotionally stunted, hyper neurotic basket case. Their sister jumped off a building. Yet, somehow Ray, who has no official skill or education, drives a new Mercedes, wears 3000dollar suits and they live in a mini mansion and never want for anything. And still, somehow, his petulant wife is horrified to discover Ray is involved with illegal activities? Boy, she's sure got a lot of street smarts. We all know the classic mob wife character, who knows exactly what's going on but never admits or discusses it. Not this one. She thinks he makes a high six-figure salary as some kind of paralegal for the two bigshot lawyers he works for. Jon Voit was great, for a while, but he's a one season character at best. Also, notice how neither 'street savvy' mom nor her two spoiled rich kids picks up any creepy vibes from grandpa. The kids never knew anything but that he was a bank robber doing prison time, but when he says "Here's grandpa" peppered with some really shady jokes and comments, nobody bats an eye at jumping into his arms.

Not a bad show but nowhere near the league of shows it is compared to.

• Ray of sunshine Donovan

a great neo noir show, with outstanding performances and a concrete story with beginning, climax and closure!

Brilliant sample of good TV! Simply Exceptional!

• Please stop comparing this show favourably to The Sopranos

The Sopranos was dark and bleak but bleak is only sustainable if it contains some light moments and this show has no light moments. The calibre of The Sopranos and Breaking Bad can be compared, but Ray Donovan (the show) isn't even close.

The lead character is interesting and he's a good actor but he's wasted in this show. I just don't find it compelling enough to keep watching.
  • I Love Ray Donovan!

I can't get enough of this series. This is the first series I have liked since The Sopranos. The casting of Liev and Jon superb. The writing outstanding. The twists and turns of each episode keeps me on the edge of my couch. Liev should get an award for his part - his deadpan expressions are fantastic. I cannot say enough good things. I just hope there is a 3rd season.
  • Great show and great characters

This show is great, I love all the characters, some of the comments below are ridiculous, If they feel this strongly about the show, Don't watch it, You truly are not fans!!!!
  • Just a bad character script . . .

4.5
    I think the story in general is interesting and pretty decent for the genre it is, but the wife's accent comes and goes badly and just the entire characters of the wife and daughter are so fucking over privileged and 'the world is about me me me'. The son I think is decent, but the daughter how she talks and treats her fucking parents pisses me off so badly and either she was never raised right, never disciplined or something but she needs to her ass handed to her the moment she steps out of line with how she speaks to her parents more so in the latest episode. I don't at all see the wife as a victim either, I see her a whiny cry baby and Ray could do so better. I think for their story it honestly was he knocked her up on accident and had to marry her. . .
  • Ray's Wife unlikeable AND homely

I feel ashamed to say that but especially with the Boston accent, it's strike 3 and can't like her. Worse than that is that I can't put her with someone like Ray. The daughter too but I am more nuetral about that character. Too many unlikeable characters is a deal breaker for me... good acting for all I knowand may be giving the director exactly what is asked for Unlikable characters just put the whole thing in the toilet for me. With the right personality, homely easily becomes lovable but homely AND over emotional? together that obnoxious boston accent? Ohh YUCK! I think a character has to be such that I can love them or else love to hate when they make you want to change the channel then someone messed anyway
  • This close to great...

. Some of the writing is insultingly dumb. And whoever cast Vinessa Shaw who's total inability to act is only brought more into focus by the greatness of Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight's. The bizarre choice of Hank Azaria as the head of the FB,I together with his equally bizarre and erratic acting choices make me wonder if whoever cast them wasn't trying to ruin the show. Paula Malcolmson as Abby is just fucking annoying. It has enormous potential with the LA noir setting, great lighting and cool milieu. They need to make some script improvements and stop forgetting how smart their audience is. I still give it a 10 for the glimpses of greatness - worth watching for Voight alone.
  • I'm hooked

Only saw the first 2 episodes, so I need to do some catch up, but this is really good.
  • NEEDS HELP

I loved the First season and told everyone about it but so far Season Two has totally bored me. LONGMIRE's Third season is much much better and I can't believe I'm saying this!. i hope #2 gets better.
  • Hire some ex-Soprano writers!

Fun show but jarringly lame at times. The uber-competent and resourceful hero hands over $2M to a thug just because he said he got the call from Sully??? Then when Sully double-crosses him he still walks right into his ambush, getting his ace Mossad agent shot? And why on earth would Sully bring in the 2 other goons to split up his getaway money? And Ezra has brain surgery one day and the next day he's back at work like nothing happened?

Even with good writing the show stretches suspension of disbelief - it can't afford such lazy/sloppy writing...
  • Great Show

This is a great show. The only criticism I have is that the Boston accent is atrocious and I'm from Boston btw. Liev Schreiber doesn't even bother doing it at times. Jon Voight and Paula Malcomson do an ok job. Overall I highly recommend the show but the Boston accent is difficult to pull off and needs a lot of work.
  • WOW..............

One of the best series I have seen. Kept me glued to screen from episode 1 to end! I love Ray's character - how he hides his inner self and how much he loves his family even without really showing it. He's a friend, brother, husband and even father you would trust to stand in the gap for you come rain or sunshine. Abby is an excellent actress whose body language says more than her words. With just the movement of her eyes, ears, lips, shoulders and hands she expresses what could have required a tonne of words and hours of cast! I think Mick a genius, just when you think he's getting all predictable he u-turns and acts in a way you never would have imagined. Bunchy's role though seemingly dull portrays profound character of an abused childhood. For a 40 year old to act 10 ish requires a great deal of skill. The same goes for his brother who has to continuously shake his hand, voice and walk in imitation of a Parkinson's diseased person.
  • Perfection

I believe that this series "Ray Donovan" is just excellent. 10.00 out of 10.00. But the last episode was so incredibly revealing,well written, well directed, the acting was sublime. The scene when Ray confronts his father in the Gym was EMMY WORTHY. This last episode from beginning to end gets a rating of 14.5. I think this series was so good, I find myself torn regarding this series' second season: Although I want to see it, I don't see how they can match season 1,which was TELEVISION PERFECTION
  • Not exactly

I found the last two episodes revealing. Sure Ray locks up his emotions and doesn't share or want to appear to be vulnerable to anyone. Ray has a lot of anger, the revelation of his abuse and Mickey's past neglect of his family only fuels the rage. Ray feels guilt at not being able to prevent what happened to Bunchy and dealt with his own abuse by shutting down emotionally,punctuated by periods of emotional volatility. He drinks to try to suppress the uncomfortable emotions that he does not know how to deal with. Ray seems to be in depression and heading down the road to an emotional meltdown.

Mickey doesn't give up either, he is determined to stay in his children's lives whether they want him or not.

This whole family needs to be in therapy.
  • best new show

IMO, this is some of the best writing and acting I've seen on TV in awhile. Ray is a man of few words, but when he speaks, you'd better listen. Demonstrates real control and restraint on the writers and actors, not to overplay. Great cast, great performances. If Jon Voight does not win something for his portrayal of Micky, we live in a cruel world.
  • this didnt get picked up for another season , did it?

4.5
    saw the final episode. Ray's father is an unpredictable character, great. Ray is boring, always moody. This guy makes a ton of money but never laughs. This character is too depressing. The rest of his brothers are dull as well. His kids are butt ugly. Many of the scenarios in this show are not realistic. I watched the whole season but doesnt compare to Dexter first few seasons. They need to wake up the main character, have some fun at least with it. The guy is depressing as sh$t. The wife is ugly, annoying voice. Why not have here killed off next season and then he goes single which would open up so many interesting ideas to keep the show going. Oh, and also get rid of the daughter, wow. that is one ugly kid.
  • Not for me

I have watched the pilot wondering the whole time if I should give more time to this show. I didn't find the main character interesting enough. I didn't want to know more about what happened to his family. I didn't enjoy the perspective of his father interacting with his children, knowing that could not go right. No reasons for me to watch any further. You might like it, though. Specially if you are a male, I should think. He intends to be the mysterious silent type that plays outside the law and engages in questionable activities that the show will make you sympathize with. I would say, just watch the pilot, and from there you will know if this is for you or not.
  • Tonights episode is serious business.

I've already seen it, be sure to watch.
  • This is what i call good time.

I am not good at this, generally don't write reviews. So if i am taking time to write this, that means you should not miss this show. Liev Schreiber , Jon Voight and pretty much everyone in the show are fantastic. Go ahead and watch this show. Don't give a crap about low scores. Simply deserves 10/10.
  • Best show

I am a big fan of shows but Ray Donovan it's the one that makes a drama. The distribution it's almost perfect (like Homeland the kids aren't what I like) and I hope to see at least many seasons like Dexter because it's a lot much better and only Breaking Bad made me want to see another episode more.

So keep it running.
  • Disaster Ray!

Never has the dulness of Hollywood came to light with the use of excellent actors but such flimsy out dated stories. How many more times can one for example watch carrie Bradshaw in what looks like one repeat version of an older story. Its time that Hollywood get new stories with a fresh take on things. Ray is not recommended even if you are bored senseless rather watch an episode of Oprah. This is a big miss.

• Ray Donovan Big Plus For Showtime

Hoping Showtime realizes Ray Donovan is a winner with unlimited potential, finally! Episode one to the anticipation of the next, the story development cannot be second guessed! Surely hoping Showtime continues this one, seems many series of late barely get an audience before getting the hatchet these days. Takes at least 2 seasons for some others are top notch right out of the gate, this being one of them! Liev Schrieber as lead takes this drama for a great ride in the unpredictable nature of each new episode! Quality which keeps watchers coming back for more. This one could go a long way Showtime!
  • It's about time!!!!!! RAY D. hits one out of the Park!

After the Soprano's conclusion some years cable channels have NEVER filled the void of that particular genre that satisfies a niche whereas a show fulfills such aspects as love, hate, family, tawdriness, brutality with a "human" edge of melodramma was until the introduction of SHOWTIMES hit: RAY DONOVAN!!! This show has it then some. The growing cast and moral ineptitude is STELLAR, Each week plays out like a movie within it's own. Where else can you see Liev Schreiber, Jon Voight, Elliot Gould, james Woods, Rosanne Arquette together in a TV series. This is some seriously good shit! 10 out of 10!!!!!!!
  • LSD scene was amazing!

Frank Whaley is a name to remember! just top work! also great to see that this show doesn't have to be dark and serious all the time!
  • Very good and interessting show

Good casting. Good story! Something different as other shows. Keeps me wanting to see more.. thats a good sign cos alot of shows I need to get into while this one you step into and want more! I give it a 10 because its simply a real good show!
  • A good show and carefully developed characters

I liked the pilot and even like it more now. LS acts great with lots of physical presence and few words. The intro of James Woods works great.

Simply good entertainment and I am looking forward to each Sunday episode.
  • Ray Don'tagain

Chompchompchompchompchomp. This is the constant sound of scenery being chewed on the set of Ray Donovan. First of all, who cast this show? Paula Malcomson as a smart-mouthed no nonsense woman, great departure from Deadwood for her. And her ridiculous Boston accent.. "Raaaayyyyy!". Yeah, I really want to hear that annoying sound 10 times a week. Ray, his kids, his wife, his neighbors, his brothers, his father, his employers, his employees, Frank Whaley (he's still alive?), James Woods.... Too many characters and just too little to care about. Just because a show is "dark" does not mean it is "good".
< 1 2