Ray Donovan

Sunday 9:00 PM on Showtime Premiered Jun 30, 2013 In Season

TesserT

Ray Donovan Fan Reviews (59)

7.3
  • Ray Donavan

This is one of the fewest best shows on TV and Cable. I really love this show it is so diverse and has so many interesting stories within a story and its all pact and perfectly written. Please keep it coming and if you haven't seen this show you are missing greatness.
  • been along wait

hope this season goes as well but with his dad getting less.
  • Might as well switch the name of the show from "Ray Donovan" to "Ray Donovan's Father"

The first few episodes of this show were great. We saw a strong man with a well-situated business taking care of business. Then it became a show about a strong man taking care of his family with hardly any time for business. And finally, it became a show about Ray Donovan's father taking care of his business while Ray Donovan tries to mop up after him. All Ray has been doing lately is apologizing to everyone! As far as Bridgett goes, she's very selfish and bratty and Ray should turn her over his knee and give it to her good . . . it might shut her up for a while. As far as Conor goes, he's so weak that it's hard to believe he's Ray Donovan's son.
  • Just Finished Season 1

I have to say I completely disagree with people criticizing the accents in this show. My parents were from Boston and moved to California. This is how people born in Boston but living in California speak. The accent tends to fade in and out. Sometimes it is very pronounced. Other times, it is practically non-existent. I find most of the accents on the show to be very close to the way I would hear my parents speak growing up. The actors aren't depicting a pure Boston accent. It is a Boston/California accent and it is extremely accurate.
  • Just Started Season 1

And came on to to see if others found the wife and daughter as horribly miscast as I do. I watched the kid in Brothers & Sisters when she was little and she was fine for that show, but she I'm having a hard time getting past her acting on this show. In real life, she's obviously a smart, privileged good girl, trying to play a mouthy, hip teen, but she's failing miserably. The casting director for this show needs a lesson from the casting director for Game of Thrones (but that's a different conversation). Also - the mom is HORRIBLY miscast as well even more so than the daughter. She's an okay actress but her accent is awful and she is just not right for this part. It's not believable to me and I find it quite distracting. She doesn't look or act like someone I would expect to be Ray's wife. Also the daughter doesn't seem like she came from those two parents. I wish they would kill of the wife. The daughter has potential to improve with some coaching and a make over. I've seen photos of her not from the show, and I wonder if the people on the show are trying to make her look as lame as possible. Finally - Ray Donovan is the man. I'm a huge Liev Schreiber fan now! Never cared for John Voight before, but I'm also a new fan of his! I will continue to watch the show bc some of the characters are so strong, but I really wish they would do something about the wife and daughter. Very distracting.
  • Am I too old for this site?

First let me say I am a real addict. I watch almost everything even all this kids stuff like Arrow, Flash, those generic police shows and even those ridiculous stupid an boring zombie shows.

But very rarely I stumble over real quality televison. Quality televesion that isn't even mentioned here, which is I guess because mainly some adolescents claim themselves to be "critics" and write stupid useless reviews about stupid useless shows most of the time.

And then you have those gems of tv shows like Ray Donovan. Clever, exciting, immaculate actors down to the tiniest role. No wonder imdb gives it a 8,5.

• Bridget i

Bridget is annoying. Like she wants to be disruptive and so annoying and her friend is a bigger joke,

Listen katie Holmes is totally missed cast. She is offensive when she kees going after ray donavan. Her braces are offensive. Get rid of her she is a terribke actor and very noticeable here becsuse everyone here are great actors incl the kids
  • Gobsmacked

Episode 12, the ending. Just sat there and could not say anything for a while. This show is amazing, Bridget is irritating as hell, but that is what a naive and self centered teen is by definition.

Thank you Showtime for giving us a series that actually evoke emotions and do not dumb down the viewer.
  • I love this show!

Not too crazy about Bridget and her stupid behaviour, but other than that I just find this show capitivating! Happy to see it get's another season :-)
  • A modern Michael Corleone

I love how complex the character is. That he is in a business pretty much based upon the family he was born to , yet he has some standards and morals regarding things like murder and theft. A fixer who blackmails and threatens but still has a conscience , a family he loves, and a loyalty that many law abiding citizens could learn from. I love this guy and this story.
  • Someone has put a lot of love into this beautiful demon.

Casting, acting, directing, soundtrack, cinematography all have been done with great skill, taste, love. Someone's put a lot of love into the beautiful demon that is Ray Donovan.
  • Gets Better and Better

Like the Season Premiere, this episode continues to display the brilliance that is Ray Donovan. And someone, PLEASE, stop Mickey before he hurts himself! (lol)
  • Ok Show

3.5
    The show isn't bad, but isn't great either. Some good concepts, but I can't get over the horrid Boston accents and how butt ugly and annoying the wife and daughter are.

It's somewhat of a slow burner. Finished season one, doubt I will jump into season 2
  • awesome show

i really like this show, ray donovans character is awesome. the show itself is pretty damn good to.
  • Like graduating last in your class, but from Harvard!

The biggest problem with RD is that it's just good enough to be compared to shows that are so good RD is like Gilligan's Island in the comparison. People rate it against The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad etc. , and it just can't compete. Not that it's a bad show but c'mon - The Sopranos? Uh uh. The two things I really knock the show for are I know he's got a mostly illegal occupation fixing things for the rich and famous while having a very troubled family life he is worse at fixing. Got that. But how about showing his actual job some times? He seems to do only one per season, and he can barely tear himself from personal crap to do that. His wife! She's supposed to be some street smart girl Ray came up from the bad parts of Boston with yet she comes off as a naive idiot. Ray started as a low level criminal. His dad's a con and con man, one brother is a punchy ex boxer and the other is an emotionally stunted, hyper neurotic basket case. Their sister jumped off a building. Yet, somehow Ray, who has no official skill or education, drives a new Mercedes, wears 3000dollar suits and they live in a mini mansion and never want for anything. And still, somehow, his petulant wife is horrified to discover Ray is involved with illegal activities? Boy, she's sure got a lot of street smarts. We all know the classic mob wife character, who knows exactly what's going on but never admits or discusses it. Not this one. She thinks he makes a high six-figure salary as some kind of paralegal for the two bigshot lawyers he works for. Jon Voit was great, for a while, but he's a one season character at best. Also, notice how neither 'street savvy' mom nor her two spoiled rich kids picks up any creepy vibes from grandpa. The kids never knew anything but that he was a bank robber doing prison time, but when he says "Here's grandpa" peppered with some really shady jokes and comments, nobody bats an eye at jumping into his arms.

Not a bad show but nowhere near the league of shows it is compared to.

• Ray of sunshine Donovan

a great neo noir show, with outstanding performances and a concrete story with beginning, climax and closure!

Brilliant sample of good TV! Simply Exceptional!

• Please stop comparing this show favourably to The Sopranos

The Sopranos was dark and bleak but bleak is only sustainable if it contains some light moments and this show has no light moments. The calibre of The Sopranos and Breaking Bad can be compared, but Ray Donovan (the show) isn't even close.

The lead character is interesting and he's a good actor but he's wasted in this show. I just don't find it compelling enough to keep watching.
  • I Love Ray Donovan!

I can't get enough of this series. This is the first series I have liked since The Sopranos. The casting of Liev and Jon superb. The writing outstanding. The twists and turns of each episode keeps me on the edge of my couch. Liev should get an award for his part - his deadpan expressions are fantastic. I cannot say enough good things. I just hope there is a 3rd season.
  • Great show and great characters

This show is great, I love all the characters, some of the comments below are ridiculous, If they feel this strongly about the show, Don't watch it, You truly are not fans!!!!
  • Just a bad character script . . .

4.5
    I think the story in general is interesting and pretty decent for the genre it is, but the wife's accent comes and goes badly and just the entire characters of the wife and daughter are so fucking over privileged and 'the world is about me me me'. The son I think is decent, but the daughter how she talks and treats her fucking parents pisses me off so badly and either she was never raised right, never disciplined or something but she needs to her ass handed to her the moment she steps out of line with how she speaks to her parents more so in the latest episode. I don't at all see the wife as a victim either, I see her a whiny cry baby and Ray could do so better. I think for their story it honestly was he knocked her up on accident and had to marry her. . .
  • Ray's Wife unlikeable AND homely

I feel ashamed to say that but especially with the Boston accent, it's strike 3 and can't like her. Worse than that is that I can't put her with someone like Ray. The daughter too but I am more nuetral about that character. Too many unlikeable characters is a deal breaker for me... good acting for all I knowand may be giving the director exactly what is asked for Unlikable characters just put the whole thing in the toilet for me. With the right personality, homely easily becomes lovable but homely AND over emotional? together that obnoxious boston accent? Ohh YUCK! I think a character has to be such that I can love them or else love to hate when they make you want to change the channel then someone messed anyway
  • This close to great...

. Some of the writing is insultingly dumb. And whoever cast Vinessa Shaw who's total inability to act is only brought more into focus by the greatness of Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight's. The bizarre choice of Hank Azaria as the head of the FB,I together with his equally bizarre and erratic acting choices make me wonder if whoever cast them wasn't trying to ruin the show. Paula Malcolmson as Abby is just fucking annoying. It has enormous potential with the LA noir setting, great lighting and cool milieu. They need to make some script improvements and stop forgetting how smart their audience is. I still give it a 10 for the glimpses of greatness - worth watching for Voight alone.
  • I'm hooked

Only saw the first 2 episodes, so I need to do some catch up, but this is really good.
  • NEEDS HELP

I loved the First season and told everyone about it but so far Season Two has totally bored me. LONGMIRE's Third season is much much better and I can't believe I'm saying this!. i hope #2 gets better.
  • Hire some ex-Soprano writers!

Fun show but jarringly lame at times. The uber-competent and resourceful hero hands over $2M to a thug just because he said he got the call from Sully??? Then when Sully double-crosses him he still walks right into his ambush, getting his ace Mossad agent shot? And why on earth would Sully bring in the 2 other goons to split up his getaway money? And Ezra has brain surgery one day and the next day he's back at work like nothing happened?

Even with good writing the show stretches suspension of disbelief - it can't afford such lazy/sloppy writing...
  • Great Show

This is a great show. The only criticism I have is that the Boston accent is atrocious and I'm from Boston btw. Liev Schreiber doesn't even bother doing it at times. Jon Voight and Paula Malcomson do an ok job. Overall I highly recommend the show but the Boston accent is difficult to pull off and needs a lot of work.
  • WOW..............

One of the best series I have seen. Kept me glued to screen from episode 1 to end! I love Ray's character - how he hides his inner self and how much he loves his family even without really showing it. He's a friend, brother, husband and even father you would trust to stand in the gap for you come rain or sunshine. Abby is an excellent actress whose body language says more than her words. With just the movement of her eyes, ears, lips, shoulders and hands she expresses what could have required a tonne of words and hours of cast! I think Mick a genius, just when you think he's getting all predictable he u-turns and acts in a way you never would have imagined. Bunchy's role though seemingly dull portrays profound character of an abused childhood. For a 40 year old to act 10 ish requires a great deal of skill. The same goes for his brother who has to continuously shake his hand, voice and walk in imitation of a Parkinson's diseased person.
  • Perfection

I believe that this series "Ray Donovan" is just excellent. 10.00 out of 10.00. But the last episode was so incredibly revealing,well written, well directed, the acting was sublime. The scene when Ray confronts his father in the Gym was EMMY WORTHY. This last episode from beginning to end gets a rating of 14.5. I think this series was so good, I find myself torn regarding this series' second season: Although I want to see it, I don't see how they can match season 1,which was TELEVISION PERFECTION
  • Not exactly

I found the last two episodes revealing. Sure Ray locks up his emotions and doesn't share or want to appear to be vulnerable to anyone. Ray has a lot of anger, the revelation of his abuse and Mickey's past neglect of his family only fuels the rage. Ray feels guilt at not being able to prevent what happened to Bunchy and dealt with his own abuse by shutting down emotionally,punctuated by periods of emotional volatility. He drinks to try to suppress the uncomfortable emotions that he does not know how to deal with. Ray seems to be in depression and heading down the road to an emotional meltdown.

Mickey doesn't give up either, he is determined to stay in his children's lives whether they want him or not.

This whole family needs to be in therapy.
  • best new show

IMO, this is some of the best writing and acting I've seen on TV in awhile. Ray is a man of few words, but when he speaks, you'd better listen. Demonstrates real control and restraint on the writers and actors, not to overplay. Great cast, great performances. If Jon Voight does not win something for his portrayal of Micky, we live in a cruel world.
< 1 2