Ready or Not Forums

Global (ended 1997)

I Went to School with Alyse

gabonzo

[1]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 1

A long time ago...I went to school with Alyse Rosenberg at Grand River Collegiate Institute. She was the (then) mayor's daughter in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. Quite spoiled, sorry to say.

I saw her a few years ago at the high school reunion, and in the end felt kinda of sorry for her. At first people flocked around her because she was "famous" - a producer - wow!. But further into the evening, I saw her standing very much alone - and all the 'glamour' had worn off. She was no longer "the big fish" in a small pond, which Kitchener really was.

It made me sad, that reality hitting her, and what that must have felt like. But then, I also thought back to the last year of high school in 1980 when she was the editor of the yearbook. I was a very expressive person, but relatively new to the school and the city. I was not popular like she was. I did a lot of writing and have since pursued that...but I distinctly remember when I handed one of my poems to her to submit for the yearbook poetry pages.

I'll never forget being utterly dumbfounded when she returned the poem to me (and it really was a lovely piece of work, not a thing wrong with it) ---she had "corrected" it like she was an English Teacher, yet without any other words to me, and "dismissing me" by turning and walking away. I was still expecting it to be published, really excited (even if it was a "corrected" version)! Anyone who's ever wanted to be published knows that feeling! But I was absolutely crestfallen and deeply hurt when I found it had not been included. Yet I noticed that her own poem did make it in - as well as that of her best friend, Heidi. Neither pieces were really any more 'remarkable' than mine - and I have wondered ever since then, in the back of my mind, what a lighter road I might have traveled in my endeavours, had I been given the encouragement that would have been so welcome 28 years ago, and not been treated like I was inferior and inconsequential. And I still wonder about people with "infuence", even when they're "big fish (or suppose themselves to be) in a small pond" - and how they treat those around them - unaware of often squashing dreams.

I also later noticed that in her show (Ready or Not), the main character looked eerily like she did - a bit "butchy", dark, not-too-long boyish hair - and how the relationships in the show are very similar to how she was in high school. And I thought to myself, then as now, those were indeed her "glory days" - and for as long as the show was on, all she could do was to keep reliving them over and over again.

I'm not sure that is such a good thing. I remember things, yes, but I have moved on...This was just my little trip down memory lane, whether anyone ever reads about it or not. I'm done now...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

celsig

[2]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 3

gabonzo wrote:
    I also later noticed that in her show (Ready or Not), the main character looked eerily like she did - a bit "butchy", dark, not-too-long boyish hair - and how the relationships in the show are very similar to how she was in high school.

That's very interesting; in fact, the whole post was fascinating.

If the characters were based on her own experience, was there someone in high school who was a prototype for Chrissy (Amy Smith)? That would be, an ultra-beautiful, feminine, centre-of-attention type, slightly spoiled, but very popular? I always thought that the Chrissy character had to be taken from life -- or rather, had to be a real-life beautiful girl as seen through the distorted vision of some girl who was homely ("butchy," etc., as you say).

The way Chrissy was written smacked to me of resentment -- the resentment of the unattractive girl towards the attractive girl, whose beauty and status she secretly envies, and tries to belittle (a "sour grapes" impulse).

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.