danharr

[1]Jul 24, 2009
    • level: 45
    Tonights guest Rob Thomas, recording artist
    Susan Eisenhower, international security and relations consultant
    John Heilemann, writer
    Janet Napolitano, U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security
    Matt Taibbi, writer
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[2]Jul 24, 2009
    • level: 45
    Good episode liked all the guest well the homeland security director was a tad boring. New rules thank you Bill hey gay folks everybody in history was not gay and to expand everybody is not in the closet and will potentially want to be with you!!!!

Myschly

[3]Jul 26, 2009
    • level: 9

First off, from what I saw I think Anthony Woods was a perfect candidate. A veteran with a good education, intelligence, and seemed truly sincere.

Great episode, and I agree that Napolitano wasn't a firecracker of entertainment.

I think an interesting way to look at acceptance of homosexuals is with Rob Halford, the singer of Judas Priest. He greatly influenced the culture of Metal & Rock, by introducing leather and metal studs etc from the gay community. Something that was 100% gay before, is now totally accepted in the Metal & Rock-culture, where there are a lot of men who feel the need to be seen as manly and straight. Sure, some people are in denial, saying "Halford's not gay some people refuse to listen to his albums because of it, but to the majority of the Metal & Rock world, the 30 year reunion, seeing Halford on stage, together with the band again, was just magical.

Homosexuals have influenced culture a LOT, but that's because they're a minority. Studies have shown that people who don't fully fit the norm growing up are normally the ones seen as geniuses later on. Einstein was bullied a lot etc.

Minorities, people who don't feel like they fully fit the norm, want to CHANGE society. Then you have the Pat Buchanans etc, who want the entire world to become straight white christians. The world is moving toward secularism, where people of all beliefs (spiritual&/or political), all ethnicities, and all sexualites (between consenting adults) can live peacefully and get along.

This is where culture plays a huge role, and that's why Country is a sad genre. The Dixie Chicks incident truly showed that a lot of Bush-voters really didn't want things to be other than a straight white male led by God, killing the muslims, as President of the USA.

I fully understand gay people wanting to point out how a lot of creative people in time have been gay Freddie Mercury's homosexuality has done a lot more for tolerance than a bulletin in the newspaper about somebody getting gaybashed.