danharr

[1]Jun 12, 2009
    • level: 45
    This week Larry King, TV host
    PJ O'Rourke, political satirist
    Chris Matthews, TV host
    Ben Jealous, NAACP president
    Fran Townsend, fmr. Homeland Security Advisor
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[2]Jun 13, 2009
    Good episode and a pretty good discussion didn't expect Bill to go after Pres. Obama the way he did but he made good points. Hopefully some of that major change will come maybe he's waiting until a second term. Good episode the debates were very entertaining especially nut job conservative calling Obama a communist.

walkerdoug

[3]Jun 13, 2009
    • level: 23
    It was nice that he went off on Obama. By nice I mean he actually said something about him. He didn't act like one of the people that praise Obama up, even though he hasn't done much, yet. The funniest part, to me, was the joke about Palin. I had a feeling he would make some passing reference to her and the stupid incident. The debate was good. I'll watch it again to refresh my mind on what they debated. Could have done without the opening skit of masochism and the guy masturbating

Myschly

[4]Jun 13, 2009
    • level: 9

Poor Bill got ganged up because of his Atheism with the plane-crashing question. I'm an Atheist and I'd rather try having sex with a man then pray to Jesus. The plane's going down, deal with it like a man!

The question on overtime about supporting regulation of cigarettes and being pro-choice really doesn't work. If you're against regulation of tobacco, you should be against regulation of Marijuana. I was very shocked when Bill didn't say something about pot there

Finally I just got annoyed about the v. Ricci case... Sotomayor isn't a lone judge in this ruling. Quotes from wikipedia:

"the city decided to throw out the test and not promote anyone, citing a desire to avoid violating Title VII of the Civil Rights Act."

"[the 3-judge panel] ultimately concluded that the Civil Service Board was acting to "fulfill its obligations under Title VII [of the Civil Rights Act]". The trial court's opinion was adopted in its entirety by the panel."

1 Judge ruled in favor of the city, then a panel of 3 Judges upheld that decision, also, one of the few who passed the test was hispanic.

Whenever I've heard this case discussed, it sounds as though Sotomayor did something unusual, based on no laws other than those in her mind, to further the careers of hispanics.

I was expecting Bill or someone, to point out the fact that this case is nothing out of the ordinary, and the only note-worthy thing about the case is that Ricci put in a lot of time and effort, and sacrificed, to pass the test. "He withdrew that lawsuit two years later in exchange for a job with the fire department and $11,143 in attorney's fees".

walkerdoug

[5]Jun 14, 2009
    I hated the plane question, too. It put him in a awkward situation. If you knew you were going to die, in a plane crash, I highly doubt praying to some figment of peoples imagination will change it. Because guess what, that planes gonna crash. I haven't watched overtime yet. So I haven't got anything to say on that.

danharr

[6]Jun 14, 2009
    What he did that joke again I remember from earlier in the season the same joke about the plane but not last friday.

walkerdoug

[7]Jun 16, 2009
    No, there was no joke about the plane. That's my view on what they asked him. I was just saying that praying or not, the plane will still crash.

agent_0042

[8]Jun 18, 2009
    • level: 66
    I am currently watching the episode recorded from DVR on an HBO free preview offered by DirecTV. Question-- the countdown board in the background, the one that has "days, hour, minutes" but no numbers -- would I be right in thinking that that's a (now inactive) countdown of the time of George W. Bush's remaining in office?

walkerdoug

[9]Jun 19, 2009
    I just assumed in was related to the show, being that it's called Real Time with Bill Maher. All the words on the board are units of time.

agent_0042

[10]Jun 19, 2009
    • level: 66
    Oh, yeah, LOL. I suppose you're right, that's probably what it is.

So I finished watching. And now I'm kinda wondering why I'm not paying for HBO, because I thought the show was brilliant. I was prompted to seek out the program because I recently watched Religulous and found it an amazing film. I thought the part about voting for judges was a very good point. It really doesn't make sense that we vote for them. I also agree with the part about prayer and planes. Prayer has always been the most mind-boggling aspect of religion for me-- it makes absolutely no sense to me, it does not compute. Loved the rant about TV star Obama at the end. It was also great to see P.J. O'Rourke on.