Real Time With Bill Maher

Friday 10:00 PM on HBO Premiered Feb 21, 2003 In Season

thefanof

Real Time With Bill Maher Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• Tonight's show 1/27/12

I love your show and I recognize that you try to equalize the guests. But the one guest, Kennedy was the most annoying personality on the show in a very long time. She offered nothing but fingernails on the chalk board. She was a constant distraction throughout that segment.
  • Dan's Question

I watch your show when I can. I here the empty words at election time and wonder why they get paid so much. My question is if everyone knows Obama faked his birth record and several polititions tryed to get bills passed to allow none residents the right to fun for office. I watched a documentry of when he laid the foundation to run, Hillary submited a bill along with several others. Is the reason why everyone looks the other way is they have just as much to hide as does obama does? What if we keep one person from each section fire the rest and replace them with entrylevel workere at $30 grand a year. The vetran workers were to train the entry level on how to do there jobs. If they fail there is no retirement if they did teach they still get fired but they have there retirmemt fund. The question is how can he run again.
  • Bill's humor is sick

Bill Maher's humor is sick... and not even funny. Perhaps he should take some lessons from Ann Coulter:
    "Unluckily for McCain, snowstorms in Michigan suppressed the turnout among Democratic "Independents" who planned to screw up the Republican primary by voting for our worst candidate. Democrats are notoriously unreliable voters in bad weather. Instead of putting on galoshes and going to the polls, they sit on their porches waiting for FEMA to rescue them"

His continued acusations of Republicans being gay sounds like he "doth protest too much". Hmmm... how about it Bill? Are you gay?

Your comedy is pathetic, Bill. For your sake you better hope the writer's strike ends soon.The only reason my rating is above 0.1 is the page wouldn't accept anything less than 1.
  • The poem "The Emperor of Ice Cream" by Wallace Stevens should be used one day for his eulogy should an audience remain.

1.1
    I have a few old friends still living who are much like Bill Maher. After many years of being narcissistic, paranoid dope smokers they remain disturbed and confused by the cause and effect of poor moral judgment and the consequences of denying the existence of morality, a higher power and faith.

Happy people are not bitter or derisive of the values of others. Bill is derisive and bitter because he has no values. He is not a happy person. Bill wants to be what he denies-God. His bitterness stems from the frustration of his failure to meet that need and his derisiveness issues from his jealousy of others who have found their way. The poem "The Emperor of Ice Cream" by Wallace Stevens should be used one day for his eulogy should an audience remain. The Emperor of Ice-Cream

Call the roller of big cigars,
    The muscular one, and bid him whip
    In kitchen cups concupiscent curds.
    Let the wenches dawdle in such dress
    As they are used to wear, and let the boys
    Bring flowers in last month's newspapers.
    Let be be finale of seem.
    The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Take from the dresser of deal,
    Lacking the three glass knobs, that sheet
    On which she embroidered fantails once
    And spread it so as to cover her face.
    If her horny feet protrude, they come
    To show how cold she is, and dumb.
    Let the lamp affix its beam.
    The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.
  • Great social and political commentary show and in many ways better than Bill's first outing with Politically Incorrect.

Great social and political commentary show and in many ways better than Bill's first outing with Politically Incorrect. Perhaps equal credit should be given to the time since the political system of America in 2003 gave him more than enough material and public outrage to work with. Even though Bill is a liberal I never felt that his positions were biased in anyway. The show excels in not taking the popular White House line. He proved his lack of bias with criticisms of the current democratic administration just as he did with the republican one. The show is the closest to fair and balanced I've ever seen in the political commentary forum and for the most part it's rigid conservatives who can't see the fairness of the show.
  • left wing nutcases love this show because it is left wing. Boring, repetitve and not funny.

I used to like politically corret when it was on ABC. I think the strictures of network television actually helped him. The guest were funnier and more diverse. It was fun watching comedians and models pretend they were smart for a half hour.

Once on HBO, Maher was "free" to do what he wanted, and it isn't pretty. The show is always the same with him and two other guest (with the audience) beating up the lone conservative who is either too stupid to know such a forum will make him/her look bad, or is such a media whore they don't care. Maher is supposedly libertarian, but he does not share the beliefs of the libertarian party. I think he says that because leftist are too dumb to know what libertaians are and it has the word liberal in it, while conservatives who don't know better are fooled into thinking he shares some of there beliefs. Traditionally, libertarians are anti-government in all forms, not just on social issues. they are against mandatory health care, most taxes and regulations. He is none of that. That would be fine if the show was entertaining, but it isn't. His set pieces are really no funnier than Leno's and his guests are the same every episode. How many times has Arianna Huffinton been on, 1000? Wasn't she conservative before being a media whore and deciding at age 45 she was born again liberal? The new rules scetch was done before and better by Dennis Miller.

In conclusion, if your a cool aid drinker who wants the daily kos' talking points, this and MSNBC are your shows.
  • This show has become a complete farce, imagine a show where everyone agrees and pretends they are having a serious political debate. Thats this show!

1.3
    I've followed bill since his politically incorrect days which was unfairly removed from air, and back then at least he used to put on a few token conservatives so the discussion would be something other than a giant circle jerk. He's just been getting worse and worse with every season. His conservative guests have seen a reduction in quality and its just been set up as a rather unfair fight. Now he doesn't even pretend to have a debate, his guests are now 3 people who all agree with him.

and now after seeing his past treatment of Hilary versus Obama and now his treatment Palin, i can see that he is sexist. Take his Palin jokes for instance, which if facts are taken into account apply to Obama much more, the equivalent jokes he would never think of telling about Obama. Before Palin he couldn't even get a serious Hilary supporter on his panel. At best it was some soft support ninny who would easily be run over by the rest of the lot. It was just a pathetic fixed fight. Its something you'd expect from fox news. So i guess there's a deep element of hypocrisy going on with this show.
  • The majority of the time this show is superb with only a couple of shows each season being clunkers. Unlike neocon shows, he often has guests who have a different point of view than his and readily gives them equal time to state their point.

I started enjoying the wit and perspectives of Bill Maher when he first started his Politically Incorrect program on network TV. I thought he and Dennis Miller had the best jobs in America. After a few years Dennis Miller went over to the dark side with his main theme being the same as Kathy Griffith when he just said nasty things about people. Bill Maher and his show Real Time gives a voice to both the rational and irrational and lets the viewer decide which is which. His views on politics, religion, food and the far right, which has become mainstream repuglican thought, are meant to make people think and not just accept what is coming out of either the left or the right. Small, closed minded people will not enjoy this show and should just continue trying to win on Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader. The rest of us will enjoy his wit and have thought provoking discussions.
  • Bill Maher is very entertaining and very opinionated but hey you got love him.

I like this show because Bill Maher clearly isn't an idiot, granted he's a left-leaning person (who has claimed to have voted for Dole in 1996). Although he doesn't identify himself as a democrat or a republican, though he has a democratic bias. Like most commentators he did suck up to Obama during the election only to take him apart during his series but that's what makes him great. He creates entertaining political conversations. I also like the points he makes on political events, and the dumb people on both parties (Left and Right). Bill Maher isn't for everyone but his monologue and his new Rules segment are probably two of the funniest things on television. He has a very brash style and I like that a lot. Nowadays a lot of people on TV try to act nice and sweet to try and not say something controversial, Bill Maher doesn't care he's willing to go out on a limb and say what he feels. He also allows his guests to speak unlike Mr. Bill O'Reilly. Very entertaining series and Bill Maher speaks the truth, love him or hate him.
  • Great show Bill, just a note on the MJ issue.

Dear Bill Maher, I've been a fan of yours for many years and I really appreciate that you speak your mind, know your facts and make it funny too! I know you are very in favor of legalizing MJ but I have to respectfully disagree. If it's true that western culture is already dumbed-down, then smoking up isn't going to gain us any prizes in critical thinking or advanced science. Perhaps some people, like yourself, can use MJ responsibly and cause no harm. However, I have observed that many people are not even close to being responsible users. My old chronically high neighbors used to get so high that their kids were grossly neglected, the baby was running around outside in freezing weather with only a little t-shirt on and when the mother wasn't asleep and incoherent she was screaming obscenities at the kids and ruining their little lives with vicious abuse. I've seen the same type of stoned out of their mind people jump behind the wheel of a car and if they didn't take out a family on the road that day it was a miracle. I think one mind numbing drug (alcohol) is enough; I really don't think that our culture is mature enough to handle another one.
  • Bill Maher is smart, extremely liberal, nonreligious, politically incorrect, and bold!

Bill Maher is very funny and politically, very sharp. He invites panels of smart people to discuss the current political events, and they are more entertaining and informative than the usual news shows. Bill Maher has the courage to say things that most people on TV are afraid to say.
    Bill Maher is so liberal that he criticizes Barack Obama for staying too close to the middle of the road.
    Although he is liberal, Maher invites conservative guests to his program, and this inspires good debates.
    Maher is also nonreligious, and he has the courage to criticize religion on his show.
    The show is a combination of Maher's stand-up comedy routine, panel discussion, and Maher's "New Rules" comedy routine. Many a true word is spoken in jest!
  • Must see TV regardless of your politics!

Those dirty, pink-o, commie, (censored by TV.com for being politically incorrect) . . . Times stay the same as much as they change, whether you’re writing or reviewing about Bill Maher you need to be incorrect some of the time.

Real Time with Bill Maher is an influential series bucking the present trends of the right wing religious conservatives. What he has to say isn't always easy to hear by either of the extreme sides in today’s political scene. Sometime he agrees with the President and other times he feels someone should be looking on the President's body for the 666.

Bill Maher describes himself as a pot smoking Libertarian who feels religion is a mind altering opiate being forced upon the masses by those in power, which for many in this country is scary. He actually believes, though, in true lesser government, not more!

While he identifies with many of the Democratic Party ideals, he tells them like it is because he isn't a Democrat. On the other hand, when it is obvious the only way to get rid of Bush is for Libertarians and Democrats to come together, he'll push for the combining of forces (e.g. ask Ralph Nader not to run for President and for others not to support him).

Bill Maher is his own man and I applaud him for his integrity!

I watch Bill Maher because my husbear (term used in the Bear community for life partner) is a real fan of his. He agrees with Bill on most points, while I take Bill with a grain of salt. (I could just see the art work on that statement or the new rule about salt intake and . . . well, you get the idea.)

The series is funny, takes no prisoners, and is outstanding food for thought whether you are a Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, or anyone else who has an interest in or cares about these United States of America.

This series is must see TV regardless of your politics!
  • Give Him Credit

5.1
    Bill has hit an artery for the nation and has indeed put allot of mainstream personalities on the air to air their personal points of view or vendetta.

Personally do not like his show, barely make it through the monologue, which he delivers with great timing.

Do not share his point of view, his liberal brain washing, his denial or mouthy, outspoken agnostic preaching. But, realize he may be spouting many of these controversial contrarian comments merely to invoke listenership.

Overall, it is good the dissident point of view can be voiced even if it only supports the other half of the pre-paid two party one beneficiary system.
  • Very informative and fun.

So many times this show can be absolutely fabulous, and, then, out of nowhere, one of the panelists will ruin the hour by making a statement that is so ridiculously out of line that the entire 60 minutes goes from a wonderful episode to an OK (or sometimes, even worse) episode. I love Bill Maher and his thoughts on the current state of affairs in Countries all across the globe. And, in reality, this show is great. Like I said, take what the panelists may have to say at face value and sit back and enjoy the show for what it is: an intelligent look at global issues.
  • Bill Maher rocks!!!! He's just telling you how it is without the 'BS' we've been spoon fed since 2000!

Real Time With Bill Maher, is one of the few informational shows that tells it like it really is, instead of the 'BS' our government officials usually try to feed us. I've been a fan of Bill's ever since his show was pulled off regular tv back in 2001. Because he dared to speak his mind. Also because , it's not all about him, he allows others to share their point of view as well. That mixed with his own brand of humor makes it informative and fun to watch. It's like he say's "The humor writes itself. I couldn't make this stuff up!"
  • Absolutely Agree with your support of Ron Paul

I am glad Bill Maher that you endorsed Ron Paul and that you bring up important issues in your show. I wish people would bring up the fact that Iran is none of our business and vote for Ron Paul. They will never get nukes, Israel will not allow it they have better intillegence than us. Why are we doing the dirty work with our peoples lives and money? If Iran attacked Israel Congress could declare war and it would be all over and the world would be behind us 100%so elect Ron Paul. He will take us out of unneccesary war!! Please bring this Iran/Israel issue up because people forget that there are other countries out there that can handle the job, it doesnt have to be us. Vote Ron Paul give him more air time, dont use national polls to exclude him, since we can see how wrong those polls can be. I implore you, don't let these first three states and unreliable polls decide our next President. If Ron Paul was on the fox debate, he woulda done way better in New Hampshire. For Gods sake bring up these issues why are people ignoring the only man that tells the truth. He gets cheers and support because he tells the truth and has the actual solutions for everything and can fund everything by leaving the wars, while other candidates only give false hope and advance more war. It is not too late, bring on Ron Paul. We need him to balance out the spending crazy Congress, even if you don't agree with some things he wants to do like get rid of the FBI and CIA, he cant do it !! the congress wont allow it, but he can bring our troops home and cut spending. Its checks and balances! He is what we need. I have typed all this in about one minute because I speak straight from the heart, as does Ron Paul. He's an expert on the economy and the only one talking about our dollar going down and how to fix it, how to reduce spending, how to solve our foreign problems. Leave the middle east and they will stop hating and attacking us. Don't people understand we will be safer? And if we stop chasing oil, our companies will be forced to make alternative fuels and a cleaner environment. Ron Paul is a genius, listen to him.
  • I was convinced americans are stupid. If even their president cannot finish a monolog without messing it up. Bill Maher convinced me otherwise. There are a couple people who actually understand what is going on and Bill Maher is one of them.

I'm not really into Politics and especially American politics, since it is just a theater there. A puppet show. Corporations controlling the governemnt and most of the decicions with their lobbys and buying the officials. More money is being spent on American Poloticians then curing cancer. What can you do about it? Nothing really but make a comedy show about it. The funny part is that most of what is being said on the show is true. It has satire and jokes it all is based on real life politics conducted in the US. Just unbelievable, but still true. The guests one of the best part of the show. People who actually know what they're talking about and people who think who know what they're talking about. Everyone is given a chance to voice their opinion and everything is argued out properly. I probably enjoy it most because I share Mahers political views of america most often, but thats because I'm a realist and thats what he is too. Why is American politics a puppet show? Why is American media just a big gossip corner in Highschool? Why are Americans viewd as complete bafoons all over the world? Tune in to Real time with Bill Maher and you will find out.
  • The sequel to Politically Incorrect which was canceled by the political correct police at ABC following comments made about the September 11th terrorists.

Going back to it's beginnings on Comedy Central, Bill Maher takes his irreverent views HBO where he can let it all hang out. This show runs in eight to twelve week installments about three time a year. (I think)

Bill is an outspoken opponent of the Bush administration but he prefers to provide some balance to the panel portion of the hour. Unfortunately the audience tends toward the left and many conservatives refuse to join in the fun. Those that do are treated by the host a whole lot better than guests who disagree with the company line on FOX or right wing talk radio. I am sure you know who I am talking about.

the highlight of the hour is the "New Rules" segment that wraps up the show where Bill can vent his spleen over the topical and typical items he has gleaned from the weeks (low and) headlines.
    This is a can't miss item on my weekly viewing schedule.
  • We need more shows like this.

It's sad that I see words like "cutting edge" and "controversial" as I scan the reviews here. That says a lot about the sad state our country is in. Bill Maher and most of his guests are smart and logical human beings. Really just common sense stuff.

It's a step in the right direction for TV. What qualifies as news today is pathetic. With the media as timid as ever and journalism in the gutters... the best source of real news is coming from shows like The Daily Show. Religion, a flawed system, and stupid people in general are screwing up America and we need to take action now or the twinkle of freedom and democracy our forefathers managed to pull together from an endless stream of oppression will be gone before we know it.

Bill Maher is doing the human race a huge service.
  • It's the bomb.

I wouldn't miss this show for the world. Bill Maher is the best. But i think it's missing a picture of George Bush next to the picture of a monkey. Then everyone can know for sure that we are decendents of the monkey. They almost look like twins...lol. He is no smarter than a monkey. I would even say that you are insulting the monkey. A monkey looks alot better and at least the monkey learns from his mistakes. But with George Bush the country learns because they pay for it. So the message is, never put someone dumber than a monkey for president.
  • Refreshing and controversial just the way i like it

It is so refreshing to have a talk show that is not afraid to say what it thinks.
    I thank god for HBO for showing this as i dont think mainstreem networks would ever dare show this show epsecially uncut.
    I just love Bill Maher who i find very witty and informative as well as being very funny
    you may not always agree with what he says but he has a great comedic way he puts his points across.
    i always like the way he lets his guests say whatever they want and he is not afraid to have controversial guests on his show.
  • Bill Maher lays it out as it really is. I have been watching Bill since he came to HBO, and find his views on our current White House administration right on the money. If we had any left because the morons spending it on this stupid

Bill we think your show is great! I cannot tell you how much we appreciate your candid honesty and opinions about our politicians,our political issues, and especially this war!
    I especially liked the last two weeks when you stated how our (buckle brained) President should not have the right to question the integrity and loyalty of the citizens he has lied to. I also liked when you explained exactly what rights we have given up under his administration.

As far as Political Partys go... If the Circus is going to be in town...We have the Elephants and the JackA..es. We obviously need the Circus Clowns..The Clown Party!

If we have to lied to,at least we will laugh as while being screwed!

Robbin Williams for President!!! I know you stated you would
    never run for office Bill, but maybe President Williams and you would consider you being our next Secretary of Agriculture.
  • I knew who Bill Maher was but I had no idea he was such a good host

I saw Real Time With Bill Maher for the first time during the 2006 election. Real Time really impressed me because it was different from other talk shows. There was a debate. The monologue wasn't sugarcoated. and Bill is just naturally a born leader. He's very funny but he's just a really good host. That's what a perfect talk show host needs to have. It was just really great. I saw conservatives and liberals just getting along soo soo great.
    I never thought I would see a show where that would happen. It's just quick, witty, and naturally funny. I hope Real Time wins an Emmy soon. I am rooting for them!!!!!!!!
  • Love it!!

I love Bill Maher. He's not afraid to tackle any subject and always does so with plenty of wit, sarcasm and humor. H e always had a variety of guests and I love that he always includes a guest with an opposing viewpoint.

Bill Maher always asks the questions the rest of the media is afraid to ask. He tells it like it is and while he may be a liberal he is not afraid to point out what the democrats are doing wrong. This show is awesome and I never miss an episode!!!!!!

xxx x x x x x x x
  • Bill Maher in Politcally Correct or Hollywood Time with Bill Maher

Mr Maher is Reel or Politically correct as Hollywood (HBO in this case) will let him be. He's not realy going out on a limb espousing the typical Hollywood point of view (Bush lied people died) also the The Animal Liberation Front (ALF), an FBI-certified “domestic terror” group, recognizes Maher for his contributions to PETA. About as polically incorrect as he gets is calling women "Gals" or talking about smoking pot. The entire show is basically a monologue and voicing an opinion contrary to Mr Maher's is lampooned as racist, homophobic, far-right or you're just plain stupid (no matter what university you attended). This isn't really anything new but if you live in L.A. or New York City this is your cup of tea.

PS: I couldn't post this without giving a perfect 10 eventhough I tried to give it a zero
  • Political commentary by the star of \"Pizza Guy\"

This is why people continue to plunk down cash for HBO. It\'s not about crappy old movies rerun ad nauseum - It\'s about great original programming of which Real Time is a major component.

I\'ll be the first to admit that Bill\'s panels generally lean very far to the left, but you know what? Who cares? It\'s great! We liberals deserve our own show, so go watch FOX News instead if you fall into the other camp.

The \"New Rules\" portions of the show are simply genius.
  • I hate Bill Maher! However, among the babble of talking heads and the idiots who cover news with a face full of makeup, Real Time is a real standout.

I have to say, right up front, that I hate Bill Maher. I find him to be an anti-spiritual, megalomaniac, narcissus who is too concerned with his "little head", if you know what I mean. That said, I am a big fan of Real Time. You see, what I hate is the plasticness of today's politics and the people who cover politics and news. What I love about Real Time is that its the polar opposite of that. Its real and honest. When Bill came out and called us cowards for lobbing bombs, that was as real and honest as anyone could get. It was the truth, given that Americans can face the idea of responsibility. Gasp, imagine that, taking responsibility for a mistake made. Sadly, no one is strong enough to hear the truth or take responsibility in the US anymore. That is why on 197 channels, all we get is plastic, polite news where all issues of responsibility (besides the blame game) and truth are washed out.

Real Time is a breath of fresh air. I frequently disagree with the things that comes out of Bill's mouth, but Real Time is a place of truth among 197 channels of plastic and whitewashed garbage. And, hey, its pretty funny too.
  • This show is much better than his old show.

His old show, Politically Incorrect, was canceled because Bill Maher made a crude comment about 9/11. Well, I guess that & the fact that supported Ralph Nader during the 2000 election was to much and a certain channel, ABC, canceled his show. About one year later, HBO offered him a chance to have a new show, and that is how this show came about. On this show you can cuss, curse, and say almost anything you like. The format of this show is pretty much the same, a few people come on his show and debate, and he has this "New Rules" thing that he makes fun of current events. The target of most of his jokes is the so-called President. If you are a republican, this show may offend you.
  • Always a funny show...

Bill Maher always surrounds himself with Hollywood well-to-do's, media folk, and politicians in a roundtable discussion about what's in the news this past week. It's an informative show, but since Bill is a comedian, he's sure to keep it comedic. I wish this show was on more often. I liked his former show, Politically Incorrect, but my interest in the show came too late, shortly before it was taken off the air.
  • A very good show that everybody needs to watch at least once. Bill is a good host, fair to all guests, even those who strongly disagree with him. Needs more airtime though! It's the only political show that allows guests to say whatever they want witho

Bill Maher is a very ballsy comedian, but he's more of a political firestarter. He got canned from ABC because he spoke his mind, but this show is better in quality, but unfortunately it's not on nearly enough. Bill's old show on ABC was 30 minutes 5x a week, this one is 1 hour once a week and is in seasons and the periods in between are too long in my opinion. Too much goes on in between that Bill needs to comment on and we need to have the good rountables that he sets up to comment on.

Bill's show has had a lot of good content, including 4 star General Wesley Clark basically announcing his run for the Presidency in the previous presidental election (I still think Wes Clark would have been the best choice out of the candidates because of his experience as [i]Supreme Allied Commander of Nato[/i] - he would have been better on Iraq and terrorism by far).

A former congressman from Wyoming, Alan Simpson had quite an outburst on one of Bill Shows, but has since reconciled with Bill and later appeared on another show which went pretty well.

Every show is very exciting, and many guests often are more candid than they might be otherwise, which is definately good.

Bill has made an effort on this, but I think they still need to work on getting a balanced audience. Although I'm a hardcore liberal I definately think it is unfair than 95% of the audience members are liberal and cheer the liberal guests and heckle the conservative guests.
1 2 >