Reaper

Cancun

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM May 20, 2008 on The CW

• Interesting scenes but not a good episode to watch as your first one in the series.

6.1
    Sam gets a fridge dropped on him from a high shelf in the store by his friends as a test. What kind of friends do that?

A stain on the ceiling supposedly looks like someone they know. Well, it does not. It looks like a random stain.

Sock neglects his beautiful girlfriend causing her to break up with him. On the rebound, Sock starts kissing a succubus. Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Sam goes to see someone that was given the power to see the future by the devil. He gets a tarot reading. Then he gets a bad spell put on him.

Without having seen any previous episodes the show seemed like a somewhat disconnected series of scenes.

This is not one of those kind of episodes that uses flashbacks and allegory to bring you up to speed!
  • Fantastic end to the season!!

I must admit, I actually had to see this episode a couple of times before I could write this review. I wasn't too excited the first time, but then it really grew on me the second time. So Sam might not be the devil's son after all, because it kinda seemed like Sam's Dad was some kind of demon... How else could he have survived in that cage buried in dirt?? I really liked that twist. So what is Sam's dad? Is he maybe the devil's son? I don't know, I can almost feel a headache coming on from speculating so much. And that is exactly how a season finale should be!! :D
    I really can't wait to see what they come up with for season 2!!
  • Reaper finale

Sam is supposedly the devils son, so Tony tests him out, and sam uses telekinesis. Josie and Sock break up. Sock then snogs a Succubus, which makes Sock feel extraordinary. Sock and Sam go to stop the soul, a Tarot, who hangs Sam. Sock lifts Sam up, saving him, and puts Sam on a telephone line and captures the soul. Tony lures Sam to the site and captures Sam in King Solomons Cage and attempt to bury him as they bury him. Sams dad arrives and gets thrown in the cage with Sam. Steve appears as an angel and Tony saves Sam, killing his dad. Sams mom then digs up Sams father, and hes alive? Is he a demon?
  • Succubus and Solomon's Cage. A fantastic end to season 1 that leaves you wanting more.

'What took you so long?'

This is a question to the show more than anything. Whereas I have enjoyed it up till now it hasn't been amazing just good. With all the answers and questions this is the best episode yet and one hell of a cliffhanger.

It helps that the characters are coming into their own. Ben seems more confident, the pointless relationship between Sock and Josie ends (for some reason as soon as they got back together we saw less of Josie - what was the point in that?) and we are given more info about pretty much everything/everybody, even if some aren't completely clear yet. Throughout the latter half of the season the show has been building to the assumption that Sam is the devil's son. Personally I hope that isn't the case but it seems that he could be his grandson or hopefully something else entirely. With the existence of Heaven and Hell confirmed by the appearance of Steve as an Angel (his killing the devil with kindness obviously paid off) and therefore the existence of God who's to say that Limbo and the actual Grim Reaper (or the first Grim Reaper) doesn't exist as well. Biggest question is who are Sam's parents and in particular, who is Sam's dad? But then again that's just me trying to think outside the box.

The Reaper universe has been opened up even more in this episode, as well as the introduction of Angel's we now have different types of Devils as well. Sock's flirtation with Marleina the Succubus was really funny and progressed his character a little. Yeah it was obvious and even stated that he was basically on a drug high but it was just like him to be reckless like that. He didn't care that the temporary superhuman strength took a year off his life every time they kissed, it was a rush. Plus it leads us to Sock the superhuman, Sock the hero (of the hour) and, Sock the Pimp (very in-line with his character). Best visual gag was when he walks across the construction site carrying a giant wooden beam. We didn't see this kiss which made it funnier. Although the weight lifting with the Budha while Sam's hanging from an invisible hangman's noose was great comic timing as well.

The escaped soul of the week was not of much major importance at all this week but was rather used to further integrate Andi into the group. Sam's now delegating which was nice to show he's now taking more of a leading role in the group. Andi also seems more rounded, as does Ben. The actual sole was only in a couple of scenes and was interesting as she progressed plot, something that doesn't usually happen with the soul of the week. A fortune teller saying there is a lie about Sam's birth - Death inverted. The resulting chase and capture by sock with Sam on his shoulder's (because of the hangman's noose) was great as well. Especially the superhuman throw of the baseball vessel to catch her.

Other highlights included Sock asking Sam to scratch his junk draw which was really funny and the firework wicker man to cheer up Sam after the apparent death of his father being buried in Solomon's cage. A line that also stuck out for me because of it's poignancy was Andi's 'Maybe they need to prepare you with signs...'. Will there be more preparation and more signs in the 2nd Season, I can't wait to find out.
  • Done well

Considering allot of shows suffered at the hands of the writers strike i was glad to see, IMO, that this show didn't. It has never been a great show, but it has always been good. Back to the show, where do i start, if you have watched the previous episodes you would have known that they suspect Sam is the spawn of Satan. Toni believes this but considering Sams good nature he reluctantly decides to capture Sam in a cage that imprisoned the king of demons, can't remember this name. Toni actually gets Sam to help him build his own prison, now thats cold. Meanwhile Sam keeps getting visions of Steve, Toni's former lover. Steve actually appears to Sam and gives him some instructions, which later on save his life.
    Anyway a good ending and nice twist with Steve and Sams father. Looking forward to next season.
  • The CW finally does something smart: not canceling this brilliant show.

Reaper isn't exactly a television masterpiece, it's just a really great underrated show. But with the conclusion of the first season, it's on its way to being admitted to the club of television hierarchy.

Sam deals with the truth of the identity of his father. Kudos on Reaper's writers, I never figured that Sam might be the Devil's son till a couple of episodes ago. He already has enough issues, he really doesn't need to worry about who his father is.

This episode wasn't lacking in humor either. Sock falls for a succubus and even though he knows the relationship will eventually kill him. Sock is finally moving from the comic relief role and into a more "real" role. But that scene with him carrying Sam was pure comic genius. I also love the return of Steve. I hated how he died and I was glad to see him back. He even made it to Heaven. I found that absolutely sweet. Good for Steve, he really got a great afterlife.

As for that twist ending: I think I figured it out, Sam's father is the son of the Devil, making Sam the grandson. So goodbye for now Reaper, count on me to be in front of the TV for the next season premiere.
  • One of the best (and most cleverly subversive) shows on television.

This episode just showed off why it's a good idea to watch "Reaper"...and an even better idea to renew it for next season. Well-written episode this time, good characters always, interesting plots.
    It could be assumed that this episode, being the season finale, would focus on the story arc of the whole season/series. But instead, it was more character-driven. Andi takes an interest in Sam's demon-hunting activities, he tries to get to the bottom of his parents' deal with the devil, Josie breaks up with Sock and he starts a relationship with a demon (which is probably not good for him...). In short, they decided to focus on what's made this one of the best shows on telly this season: the characters. Their personalities are so unique, yet they go so well together. Who would have thought that Tyler Labine and Ray Wise could do so well in the same show together? So, this episode was just another showcase of how good "Reaper" as a whole is. I also loved the return of Steve. Steve and Tony were one of my favourite parts of this show since they appeared on it. They're SO cute together, and very good characters in their own right. (I cried when Steve died, to give you some idea of how attached I am to them...) So I was very happy with how they handled his return as an angel. Turns out his plan to be "good" worked after all. Did anyone (but me) happen to notice the subtle subversion inherent in sending Steve to Heaven in the end? Everyone's focused on how he, as a demon, made it to Paradise. BUT...I can't imagine the writers didn't realise they were also sending a gay man to Heaven at the same time. Love them for it, of course!! Great show, great characters, great acting. Can't wait till next season.
  • The first season goes out with a bang!

I have really enjoyed Reaper's freshmen season... smartly written, funny and sweet, and at times a little gory... watching Sam accept his fate and learn to deal with it has been an exciting ride...

Then tonight Sam is torn between his loyalty to Tony and his promise to spy for the Devil, then he finds out Tony is out to get him because he's the Son of Satan... Is He?

As I watched I totally thought I knew what the heck was going on, but I guess not :)

The whole time I'm expecting that Tony will come to his senses... I'm expecting the revelation that Sam is the Son of Satan... I am NOT expecting Sam's parents to be DEMONS!!!

WTF? Did that really happen? How OUTSTANDING! What a great twisted ending to a great new show's first season!
  • The D.A.S. (demons against satan) try to capture Sam, while Sock is addicted to the kiss of a succubus.

Great one!!! The demons around Tony are trying to catch Sam in an iron cage. They still believe that he is evil and will be the destroyer of all the good on earth. Meanwhile Sam is visited by Steve who tries to help him. In the end he really does help him. Steve is the proof that a demon can go to heaven after his dead and this is all Tony needs to know. 'Cause he believes that Steve wouldn't appear to Sam if he was evil. Sock also has some problems. Josie broke up with him (again) and after that he kisses a succubus which makes him on speed for a short time after the kiss then he loses one year of his life. He's kinda ddicted to it and also Ben wants to get high. Another great fact is that now Sam believes that he could be the son of the devil. After the D.A.S. captured him in the cage his 'father' tried to save him and get killed. Anyway Sam thinks so. In the end it turns out, that his dead is kinda immortal. I think the story turned out pretty well 'til now and I really wanna know what's the bid secret between Sam's parents and Satan.
  • This episode was pretty intense. A lot of stuff changes.

It was lame that they assumed that Sam was the Devil's kid just because the washing machine didn't fall on him. Did it ever occur to them that maybe it wasn't Sam that stopped it? Maybe it was the Devil that floated it. Their little experiment proves nothing, duh.

Andy said what I figured out as a little kid. Having the Devil prove that he exists is anything but scary. His existence proves the existence of an after-life, Heaven and Hell, God, etc. So it would be a wonderful thing if he confronts you (yes, it would still be a a little scary, but then you just remember that God who was just proven to exist should be looking out for you). This is why the Devil's greatest trick was to pretend he doesn't exist; doubt and fear are much worse than whatever he can do.

I love the imagery of Sam playing catch with his "daddy". :D

It was narrow-minded of Soc to think that Marlena would be into a threesome; she is a succubus, not a sexual-deviant-a demon not a perverted human.

Also, it was interesting that Soc could capture the demon. That really helps Sam out, since he does not have to actually do it himself all the time (I suppose he doesn't technically have to do it at all).

I can't wait for more.
  • Build it and he will come.

In another riveting episode of Reaper, we learn more that Sam is seemingly the devil's spawn. Many things point to this. The devil actually talks to Sam. Sam has untapped powers that he is finding out about (cue the opening scene of this episode). All pages in the contract between his father and the devil relating to who the father is, are ripped out. For a light-hearted series, they really cover a lot of the bases. Speaking of covering the bases, we had a "Field of Dreams" moment when Sam and the devil are playing catch in some small ballfield. For those of you who have seen that movie, it was a pivitol moment between a son and his dead father.

Much of the episode revolves around the coming fallen angels revolt. Additionally we see Steve, Tony's boyfriend, has reached heaven. This may ultimatly put the revolt in jeopardy as Tony will most likely want to rejoin Steve. In a side story Sock is enamored with a cute demon and some of the life is sucked from him.

This being the season finale left much to carry-over into next season. Will we learn that Sam is definitively the devil's son (and all those ramifications)? WIll Tony be reunited with Steve. Will Sock get back together with his girlfriend or go more to the demon side? Are there any more repercussions to Ben's faux marriage? What is the real deal with Sam's parents?---Who are they really.

This season fell into a minor rut early on with each episode repeating the Sam catches demon theme, but post writers strike they really hit their stride with the Sam might be the devil's son...oh yeah, and Andi finds out themes. I don't know about you, but I can't wait for next season.
  • The demons target Sam when they fear he may pose a greater threat to their rebellion than the Devil so a trap is set, bringing surprising allies to Sam's side and leading to shocking revelations that could have explosive implications for his future.

This was an absolute awesome episode! Definitely one of my favorites! We, of course, had our usual soul-of-the-week with a baseball as the vessel, which was completed fairly quickly, but a majority of the episode was dedicated to the story arc. The episode immediately begins by raising the question I'm sure we've all wondered: is Sam the son of the Devil? Tony and the other demons perform a little test and even answer our questions about his powers, which we haven't seen in awhile-he can't control them! Duh! I loved the whole cage bit, and we even got to see Steve, again! An angel finally got his wings. Not to mention Sock's usual humor, although I didn't quite get the whole ultimate battle unicorn vs. werewolf bit...I also loved the other side stories, poor Ben-forgotten at the jail and his "murder suit"-and Sock and his trip with the girl demon (I think her name was Marlena?).

Now...what was the deal with Sam's parents? How did his dad manage to survive being buried alive? was it part of their deal with the devil that he couldn't die or get hurt? Or are they demons? Unfortunately, we never really got the yes-or-no answer about the truth of Sam's father, and now we have to wait 'til probably January of next year for the next episode. I really hope the CW changes their minds and gives this series a full season, like it deserves! At least it'll be coming back, otherwise I would have been furious, especially after an ending like that!
  • Convinced that Sam is evil, a group of demons plot to kill him. Sam believes his father is hiding something from him.

This episode has all of the things I like about this series: comedy, action, silly supernatural happenings. It brings up Sam's telekinetic ability, something that was largely dropped after the first few episodes. The demons see this power as further proof Sam is the wicked son of the devil. There's a very funny bit involving Sock and a succubus. Also funny is Sock's chasing down the escaped soul of the week with Sam on his shoulders. But with all of the speculation that Sam is the son of the devil, I expected to get a definitive answer at the end of this episode. This is, after all, the season finale, and that is exactly the big finish a finale needs. We don't get that answer. We do get hints at the end that there's something quite a bit darker about Sam's mother and father than he knows. It's enough to bring me back next season.