Reaper Forums

The CW (ended 2009)

Official Renewal Thread: Reaper in trouble! Show's creators are leaving!!!

BlueSunflower

[1]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 5

Hollywood Reporter reports Michele and Tara have signed a two year deal with 20th Century Fox TV. Unlike with Tyler and his pilot, this deal actually requires Michele and Tara to leave Reaper. Hollywood Reporter.

While this doesn't look good for our show, you can still let the CW know you want Reaper to continue even without them.

feedback@CWTV.com

http://www.cwtv.com/feedback/comments

Please don't stay silent. They'll never know how much you'd like Reaper to stay if you never tell them. Executive Producer Tom Spezialy's still around, and lots of shows do just fine even after a change in the guards.

Since snail mail campaigns work best (remember Jericho's nuts campaign), here's the address for Dawn Ostroff at the CW:

Reaper
    Attn: Dawn Ostroff
    CW Network
    3300 W. Olive Avenue
    Burbank, CA 91505

Please consider taking a moment to send in a letter or postcard. Even a simple "please renew Reaper" helps.

Edited on 04/07/2009 8:10am
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Gislef

[2]Apr 6, 2009
    • level: 100
    Do we want Reaper to continue without them? They're the creators: the people that "make it happen." Assuming they're voluntarily leaving and aren't being forced out, maybe they've decided they can do as much as they can.

I can't think of very many shows that have survived the removal of their creators so early in the series' run. Most go downhill rapidly. Original Star Trek comes to mind, when Roddenberry effectively left after the second season. The shows that survive a creator's departure are typically those that have had a long time to build up a fan base and a consistent performance.
    Edited on 04/06/2009 9:33am

usernr-1337

[3]Apr 6, 2009
    • level: 8

I don't know about creators and stuff like that, but this show HAS TO LIVE! I know that right now there are many sci-fi, fantasy shows out there but it will end soon (lots of shows are ending in this or the next season (lost, smallville, ...)) and we just can't let reaper die, a year from now reaper could be one of few sci-fi, fantasy shows out there which would increase it's popularity dramatically ... we just need to open exec eyes to the truth, cause peope who should do this ain't doing their job...

drdan2410

[5]Apr 7, 2009
    • level: 52
    I really want Reaper to carry on but I have my doubts that the show could contnue without it's original creating and writing staff. Just look what happened to shows like Andromeda when they lost that guidance.

BlueSunflower

[6]Apr 7, 2009
    The show hasn't lost its writing staff, only the creators. The Executive Producer is still there, Tom Spezialy. He knows what's going on. A great many shows lose their creators and go on just fine. The best example is Lost losing JJ Abrams, not to mention Kevin Smith was only involved in Reaper's Pilot. At the very least, it doesn't hurt to send in a letter, either by email or snail mail. If you don't want to watch it later, then that's your choice. But don't penalize the show by something you think might happen. Staying silent means we definitely get nothing. Speaking up means we might get the chance for something good. Even a simple "please renew Reaper" helps.
    Edited on 04/07/2009 5:53am
    Edited 2 total times.

Gislef

[7]Apr 7, 2009
    • level: 100
    Kevin Smith was a consultant, and for one episode a director and executive producer. Not a creator.

I'd still like to know why they're voluntarily leaving, if that's the case, and find out what the creators have a pretty good idea about what will happen, base don their experience.

mdstudio

[8]Apr 7, 2009
    I don't know if it will do any good but here's a site with a bunch of campaign links and info: Reaper campaign support

shocker713

[9]Apr 7, 2009
    • level: 21
    If memory serves, I believe the mail-in campaign for this show is socks.

Dougo13

[10]Apr 7, 2009

Gislef wrote:
    Do we want Reaper to continue without them? They're the creators: the people that "make it happen." Assuming they're voluntarily leaving and aren't being forced out, maybe they've decided they can do as much as they can. I can't think of very many shows that have survived the removal of their creators so early in the series' run. Most go downhill rapidly. Original Star Trek comes to mind, when Roddenberry effectively left after the second season. The shows that survive a creator's departure are typically those that have had a long time to build up a fan base and a consistent performance.

OT here but Star Trek Enterprise only got better when Manny Coto was hired to replace the original creators. The fan base was never that great but went up dramatically after the replacement. Too bad it was so late in the show's life to save it. Could be replacing the original creators with someone else could raise hopes for this show as well...

Enigler

[11]Apr 7, 2009

Miles and Al left Smallville and it completely turned the show around. It is a far better series now than it has been in years.

Maybe this is just what Reaper needs. Maybe some help from producers, directors or actors is what will pull the show through now to have another season.

basenji529

[12]Apr 7, 2009
    • level: 15
    The show's biggest threat is that not everybody likes the humor. That, and Kevin Smith has a poor history with television. *cough*Degrassi season finale*cough*

BlueSunflower

[13]Apr 8, 2009

TVSeriesFinale has kindly started a petition for Reaper, and it is already up to 9 pages. Please sign it, and tell others too:

http://tvseriesfinale.com/articles/reaper-petition/

They also wrote up addresses, etc for you to write to, including ABC Studios, which produces the show:

http://tvseriesfinale.com/articles/reaper-tv-show-support/

Mr. Stephen McPherson
    President
    ABC Entertainment Group
    500 S. Buena Vista St.
    Burbank, CA 91521
    Re: REAPER

Also, About.com has written several ideas on how to try and help save Reaper:

http://tvdramas.about.com/b/2009/03/25/the-devil-made-them-do-it-reaper-fans-begin-campaigning.htm

And you can also email TVGuide. Perhaps they will print some of our letters.

feedback@tvguide.com

And an anonymous friend suggested the following:

Be creative with your letter. Even if it's just using an over-sized envelope. The crazier the better, it'll make a buzz around the network. Write SAVE THE REAPER on the outside! Share your creative ideas and lets get it going.

Edited on 04/08/2009 1:56am
    Edited 2 total times.

BlueSunflower

[14]Apr 8, 2009
    Gislef wrote:
    Kevin Smith was a consultant, and for one episode a director and executive producer. Not a creator.

That doesn't really matter. My point still stands. Kevin's influence was clearly on the Pilot, but nowhere else (and not to mention, what got Reaper its attention in the first place) and yet the show didn't suffer from his loss. But pacejunkie made this nice list to try and help ease fears. The following is a list of the executive producers, producers and other types involved in running the show:

Series Produced by
    Tara Butters .... executive producer (23 episodes, 2007-2009)
    Michele Fazekas .... executive producer (23 episodes, 2007-2009)
    Joseph Patrick Finn .... producer (23 episodes, 2007-2009)
    Mark Gordon .... executive producer (23 episodes, 2007-2009)
    Deborah Spera .... executive producer (23 episodes, 2007-2009)
    Tom Spezialy .... executive producer (23 episodes, 2007-2009)
    Jeff Vlaming .... supervising producer (22 episodes, 2007-2009)
    Thomas Schnauz .... co-producer / producer (20 episodes, 2007-2009)
    Jason Parks .... associate producer (18 episodes, 2007-200
    Kevin Murphy .... consulting producer (17 episodes, 2007-200
    Kevin Etten .... supervising producer (13 episodes, 2008-2009)
    David Babcock .... co-executive producer (12 episodes, 2007-200
    Peter Lauer .... producer (12 episodes, 2007-200
    Chris Dingess .... co-executive producer / consulting producer (10 episodes, 2008-2009)
    Chris Black .... consulting producer (5 episodes, 200
    John Blair .... associate producer (5 episodes, 2009)
    Craig DiGregorio .... producer (5 episodes, 2009)

This is not to mention the many many different writers the show has (I counted ten besides F&B). I have to ask myself whether we would notice much of a change were the creators to leave and say, Finn, Spera or Spezialy were promoted to showrunner(s). They have a big production team, they may be able to carry on without any bumps or pauses whatsoever.

BlueSunflower

[15]Apr 9, 2009
    30 Second Options to Help Save Reaper:

PETITION:

http://tvseriesfinale.com/articles/reaper-petition/

VOTE:

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b107874_save_one_show_help_your_fave_see.html

BlueSunflower

[16]Apr 17, 2009
    Please vote for Reaper, even though they left it off the list. You simply have to choose "other" and add it in.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2009-04-15-sos-network-chart_N.htm

BlueSunflower

[17]Apr 20, 2009
    Although the Hollywood Reporter is saying Reaper's dead, early reports declared a premature death for the show last year too. There has been no official word from the CW yet, and they will never know you want the show to stay if you don't tell them, so write and tell them. All info and links here: http://community.livejournal.com/reaperdmv/37449.html

dsly4425

[18]Apr 20, 2009
    • level: 6

As much as I hate to admit it, CBS pretty much doomed Reaper to failure this season putting it in the Tuesday 8 PM Timeslot which pegs it against both American Idol and NCIS most weeks, although it appears that NCIS is not competing against it the week of 4-21 (a good thing), both of which are highly rated shows for the timeslot.

When you're the fifth place network, let's face reality, any show set in that timeslot is essentially doomed, and NOT likely to be heavily watched.

I would like to see the show come back, but I think that the CW pretty much put it in that spot to kill it, and it looks like they succeeded.

BlueSunflower

[19]Apr 24, 2009
    dsly4425 wrote:

As much as I hate to admit it, CBS pretty much doomed Reaper to failure this season putting it in the Tuesday 8 PM Timeslot which pegs it against both American Idol and NCIS most weeks, although it appears that NCIS is not competing against it the week of 4-21 (a good thing), both of which are highly rated shows for the timeslot.

When you're the fifth place network, let's face reality, any show set in that timeslot is essentially doomed, and NOT likely to be heavily watched.

I would like to see the show come back, but I think that the CW pretty much put it in that spot to kill it, and it looks like they succeeded.

Actually, the decision to put Reaper up against AI might not have necessarily been to kill it. It really hasn't done that badly. Overall Reaper has been one of the top performing shows on the CW - even against AI - and has even beaten the lead-out 90210 in both overall and 18-49 (but unfortunately, not 18-34 which is really what the CW wants). Reaper has also been consistent, pretty much proving that no matter where you put it or who you put it up against, at least 2 million or more will follow it live. That's quite an accomplishment on the CW, especially in the really tough spots they have where no matter what they put usually gets creamed.

Edited on 04/24/2009 10:05pm

gamernut

[20]Apr 24, 2009

I love Reaper, and I would really be angry if they cancelled it. It is probably one of the most original shows on TV. I am tired of good shows being cancelled. When Arrested Development was cancelled, I was really pissed. Family Guy was also cancelled(but brought back later, so I guess that doesn't count). Anyways, my point being that too many good shows on TV are being cancelled, and if they try take Reaper away, I will protest. Who cares if the creators are leaving? Yeah they created the show, but it is not like all the writers and actors are leaving the show. It is still Reaper and if it survives the battle it will have to go through, I will still tune in to Reaper.

Yeah, I know, a little dramatic.