Reaper Forums

The CW (ended 2009)

Official Renewal Thread: Reaper in trouble! Show's creators are leaving!!!

goodridd

[21]Apr 26, 2009
    • level: 17
    Season 2 is available for pre-order on Amazon. It can't hurt for us to pre-order to show that they can also make good money on DVD sales.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

drdan2410

[22]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 52
    Still no offical word on renewal/cancellation?

BlueSunflower

[23]Apr 28, 2009
    • level: 5
    drdan2410 wrote:
    Still no offical word on renewal/cancellation?

No, not yet. It most likely won't come until the May upfronts when the CW announces its scheduling for the fall.

...which means, there is still time to write the CW:

Ms. Dawn Ostroff
    President
    The CW
    3300 W. Olive Avenue
    Burbank, CA 91505
    Re: REAPER

Mr. Stephen McPherson
    President
    ABC Entertainment Group
    500 S. Buena Vista St.
    Burbank, CA 91521
    Re: REAPER EMAIL:

feedback@CWTV.com

http://www.cwtv.com/feedback/comments

feedback@tvguide.com

Petition:

http://tvseriesfinale.com/articles/reaper-petition/

Vote:

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b107874_save_one_show_help_your_fave_see.html

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2009-04-15-sos-network-chart_N.htm

http://www.zap2it.com/news/custom/photogallery/tv/zap-photogallery-2009-bubble-shows,0,1828400.photogallery?index=1

ContinuumVortex

[24]Apr 29, 2009
    • level: 15

What the hell is wrong with people? why dont they watch this show its a really really good show and its getting better by the week everybody clicks well in here and i know its a tried idea for soul of the week kind of thing but theres more to it than that ben and nina soc is just awesome sam devil action is good and all the stuff thats happened recently just makes it goood.

Unfortunately i live in the UK so theres not much i can do to help save it but well i hope it stays on support from across the ocean guys! peace out

BlueSunflower

[25]May 1, 2009

TVGuide has listed Reaper's renewal outlook as "poor". Privileged remains at "fair". I wrote a comment that it should be "unfair". Others in the comment section are advocating people to write to the CW about Reaper too. Ausiello is saying Reaper is a "goner" - but I don't know if that's his info, or if he's just taking from the Hollywood Reporter.

Having said that, here's the word from Variety:

It was another quiet week at CW, although "America's Next Top Model" (1.9/6 in 18-49, 4.01m) posted its best scores since November.

Don't count out the net's "Reaper": Last week, it drew more viewers and delivered the same 18-34 share as lead-out "90210" even though "Reaper" had to face "American Idol." And "90210," of course, has been renewed.

Now, while it's nice that Variety is not out-and-out backing up HR and USAToday (which really would mean that from the CW perspective Reaper is officially gone IMO), it's not a sign Reaper's looking good at the CW either. So don't forget to keep writing, and to get others to write too. There's not much time left, May upfronts are only a few short weeks away. Click here for the info.

Remember Variety is a biggie along with Hollywood Reporter (you know, the one who says Reaper is "gone") and USAToday (which lists Reaper as dead or dying). I have been waiting since the HR article to see how Variety weighed in, since it's important to point out that Variety of all mags, would also know the same lowdown on Reaper's fate, just like HR and USAToday. They all have the same "insider info."

Unfortunately i live in the UK so theres not much i can do to help save it but well i hope it stays on support from across the ocean guys! peace out

Make sure to email the CW and ABC, and sign the petition. The biggest help you can provide is to also spread the word. We need to reach as many Reaper fans as we can. Click here for the info.

Edited on 05/01/2009 8:41pm
    Edited 4 total times.

BlueSunflower

[26]May 8, 2009
    Just a short note that we received a note from Tara Butters saying how much she and Michele appreciate all the fan support they have received, especially about the campaign. She also wanted us to know that if Reaper is renewed for another season, she and Michele will still be involved. They worked it out to still remain consultants for the show. Blue's note: If you would still like to help save Reaper, please join us. Time is running out, but there *is* still time. You may find all snail and email addresses, petitions, and other ideas here by clicking here. Be sure to spread the word. Thank you.

BlueSunflower

[27]May 12, 2009
    Tyler told End Of Show: "I don't know what the CW was expecting taking a show off the air for ten months and then placing it against "idol" with no promotion but they were "disappointed" with our ratings to say the least. We drooped [sic] into obscurity." http://www.endofshow.com/2009/05/13/breaking-fox-picks-up-sons-of-tucson-reaper-officially-over/ If that's what they told Tyler, then how on Earth is the CW taken seriously by the industry? Reaper's live numbers have been beating 90210 almost since the show came back, and Privileged's numbers are even worse. Yet Privileged is considered by the CW to be successful enough for a midseason pickup, yet Reaper's considered a disappointment? I'll wait for the CW upfronts next week on May 21st. Personally, I'm hoping for a summer pickup, which would probably let Tyler do both shows. Reaper fans: Remember, last year Reaper was declared dead too, but came back at the last minute to get a renewal. If anyone wants to still help, snail and email addresses, petitions, etc., are organized here: http://community.livejournal.com/reaperdmv/37449.html

The-1337

[28]May 12, 2009
    • level: 4
    Yeah, CW is pretty lame, and Tyler' new pilot was picked up by Fox so at least he won't be back.

BlueSunflower

[29]May 13, 2009
    The-1337 wrote:
    Yeah, CW is pretty lame, and Tyler' new pilot was picked up by Fox so at least he won't be back.

That's incorrect. If Reaper is renewed, Tyler WILL be back. His Reaper contract makes it his #1 priority. Although, I am hoping that Reaper gets a midseason or summer pickup, so that Tyler can do both shows.

Dexterian

[30]May 13, 2009
    • level: 6
    Ah that's crap. I have to admit Reaper had a pretty slow start in the beginning, but now the show has gotten a lot more interesting! I've started to enjoy this show a lot more now than I have when it first started.

It'd be a shame to see this show go now, it's taken such an interesting turn and I'd love to see where it's heading.

BlueSunflower

[31]May 13, 2009

Oh, I so wish I could start a new thread for this:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3id56fc6d97f8a77c1255ababf3180069d

'Reaper' may live on

Studio in talks with CW affiliates about syndication

Thought "Reaper" was dead?

Well, think again. Like some of the undead creatures on it, the quirky CW dramedy with a rabid fan base is refusing to die.

Sources said show producer ABC Studios is in talks with CW affiliate stations about continuing "Reaper" as a syndicated series for Sunday night.

The law-rated "Reaper" has been pretty much canceled at the CW. But most stations are said to love the series starring Brett Harrison as the Devil's bounty hunter.

So when the network recently decided to give Sunday night back to its affiliates, they started preliminary conversations with ABC Studios about possibly continuing the show with original episodes.

Sources said that ABC Studios also is exploring a possible afterlife for the cult series on cable.

We're working on a plan right now at the DMV, but for now we are recommending to write to your CW affiliate to let them know you want Reaper. Again, they don't know you want the show if you don't tell them! AND SPREAD THE WORD. Cko found the link to the CW's affiliates here:

http://www.cwtv.com/stations

And email ABC and write them:

Mr. Stephen McPherson

President

ABC Entertainment Group

500 S. Buena Vista St.

Burbank, CA 91521

http://abc.go.com/site/contactus.html?lid=ABCCOMGlobalFooter&lpos=CONTACT

I'm sorry, I'm really sick right now so I can't do much more until tomorrow.

pgsuperfan

[32]May 14, 2009
    • level: 25

It does not look good at this point

BlueSunflower

[33]May 16, 2009
    nger
    pgsuperfan wrote:

But it's no longer looking hopeless. We're getting some good feedback from some of the stations people have emailed, so if you haven't already I do recommend contacting your local CW affiliate. Let them know you hope they pick up Reaper, especially for their Sunday nights the CW gave back to them.

And don't forget to thank ABC Studios for not giving up on Reaper:

BlueSunflower

[34]May 20, 2009
    BlueSunflower wrote:
    nger
    pgsuperfan wrote:

But it's no longer looking hopeless. We're getting some good feedback from some of the stations people have emailed, so if you haven't already I do recommend contacting your local CW affiliate. Let them know you hope they pick up Reaper, especially for their Sunday nights the CW gave back to them.

And don't forget to thank ABC Studios for not giving up on Reaper:

It's more imperative to contact your local CW stations now, as it's pretty much official the CW is not picking up Reaper. We're not giving up yet, though. ABC Studios is still trying to move the show into syndication or cable. We're advocating all Reaper fans to write their CW affiliates. All links above.

And again, don't forget to contact ABC Studios and thank them for not giving up on Reaper.

BlueSunflower

[35]May 21, 2009
    No, Reaper's not gone yet. Hollywood Reporter reconfirmed today that even though the CW is not picking it up, talks for syndication are still going on.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i4ac338fdce0587a71c0f60c8af5aed4f

Write your CW affiliates, and thank ABC Studios for not giving up. All details in my previous posts in this thread.

seugirdor

[36]May 22, 2009
    • level: 11

acording to the tvbythenumbers website reaper got canceled. and they were prety acurate when saying wich shows got renewed or canceled before ther fate got to public.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/19/may-19-renewals-cancellations-for-fall-2009-10-so-far/19110#more-19110

lets just hope that some other TV station picks up reaper, like the CBS did with NBC's medium

Edited on 05/22/2009 6:54am

BlueSunflower

[37]May 22, 2009
    seugirdor wrote:

acording to the tvbythenumbers website reaper got canceled. and they were prety acurate when saying wich shows got renewed or canceled before ther fate got to public.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/19/may-19-renewals-cancellations-for-fall-2009-10-so-far/19110#more-19110

lets just hope that some other TV station picks up reaper, like the CBS did with NBC's medium

Yeah, they're so "accurate" they've been flip-flopping all season on Reaper's stable numbers meaning the show sucks, or is a shoo-in for renewal. The numbers for thje premiere had them screaming CANCELED and yet when it got lower numbers, they were screaming RENEWED! Honestly, I can get more accuracy from my cat than I can from them.

And once again, REAPER IS NOT YET CANCELED. The CW is simply not picking it up. ABC Studios is *still* in talks to sell it to syndication, but that's NOT a done deal yet. We *have* been getting some good responses from the CW affiliates, but we need more people to write.

If you really want this show to continue, NOW's the time to help out. Saying nothing to ABC Studios or your CW affiliate pretty much guarantees NO ONE will pick up Reaper. SO WRITE!!!! All links above.

BlueSunflower

[38]May 23, 2009
    Industry insider Nick C. addressed in his blog today Reaper's prospects for life after the CW. Among the many tidbits:

• ABC Studios is still commited to the show.
    • Tyler's Reaper contract requires his return, regardless if the show is picked up by a network or syndication.
    • While talks are in the works for SyFy, by far and away the most likely scenario for Reaper is syndication to the CW affiliates. ABC Studios is aiming to pair up Reaper with Legend of the Seeker, another syndicated ABC Studios production that already successfully airs on many of the affiliates.
    • If sold with Legend of the Seeker, Reaper may be looking at an October return.
    • Time is running out. At most, Nick C. estimates a week before a final decision will be made.
    The issue here is the CW affiliates. The more CW affiliates that pick up Reaper, the more likely the show will be renewed. We are still stressing that if you want Reaper to return, email your local affiliate and let them know. We have received some good feedback, especially from the Regional Manager of several stations on the East Coast, Chris Wolf. Click here to find your affiliate.

In that vein, it has been pointed out that Tribune Broadcasting owns a boatload of CW affiliates. If Tribune's stations pick up Reaper, then renewal is considered a lock.

If you live in an area covered by Tribune Broadcasting (click here to see if you are), Tribune's feedback page lists as a contact:

Gary Weitman
    Media Relations, Tribune Company
    435 North Michigan Avenue
    Chicago, IL 6061
    gweitman@tribune.com

Whether you live in an area covered by Tribune Broadcasting or not, make sure you also contact your local affiliate. Mentioning a potential Sunday night pair up of Reaper and Legend of the Seeker probably wouldn't hurt. I have also been mentioning the Reaper Petition myself.

And for all fans, including international: Write ABC Studios and thank them for their support of Reaper. Overseas sales are important too, so if ABC knows they can make money internationally, that's another reason for them to want to keep the show.

Mr. Stephen McPherson
    President
    ABC Entertainment Group
    500 S. Buena Vista St.
    Burbank, CA 91521
    Click here to email ABC Studios.

Last but not least, Nick C. recommends trying to get advertisers to write in too. Fans are nice, but potential advertisers are better. If you know any businesses that might be willing to purchase local airtime, ask if they would be willing to advertise during Reaper. If they say yes, see if they will also tell that to your CW affiliate.

On a personal note, I want to thank all the people who have participated in this campaign, regardless of our success. A beach cannot be made with only a single grain of sand. Never underestimate your power, grasshoppers. Thank you.

SeerMagicX

[39]May 23, 2009
    • level: 16
    thanks for the update... fingers crossed

buffywiz299

[40]May 23, 2009
    • level: 4
    I emailed my local CW affiliate (CW50) and I have gotten no response. Is it possible that Reaper will be renewed and not air in my area? What happens then? Will I be able to watch it online? I really don't think I'll be able to wait for a DVD release.