Reaper

I Want My Baby Back

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Mar 31, 2009 on The CW

• This weeks soul leaves behind either a precious gift or a monster...

This weeks Reaper felt a little flat to me, though even an average Reaper episode is better then a lot of stuff on television these days. We got to learn a little bit more about Mr. Oliver, and the irony of his deal with the devil has now made him undead. The opening scene with Sock and Ben finding out was fairly hilarious, though it felt out of place with how the trio wanted nothing to do with Sam's father afterwards. I can't really blame Sam for being upset at his dad's selfishness, but the opening scene with him laughing about just didn't feel right.

Also what doesn't seem to be feeling right is Sock's continued obsession with his step sister, which, while funny at first seems to losing the humor as it continues. As great of a character as Sock is, I didn't really laugh at any of these parts of the episode, and there were several.

The main story of the episode was somewhat interesting. I was surprised that this week's soul was captured before the first commerical break, but it worked well enough. After all, the series was starting to get a little stale after episode after episode of just catching souls. Sam soons finds out that the demon left her little baby behind. She had smuggled him out of hell, (we have better schools on Earth apperantly) and now Sam, Sock and Ben had to take care of her. It was very nice to see Tony return, as he was one of my favorite characters from last season. After learning that the Reapers don't know how to take care of a baby, Tony adopts her, giving her the name Stevie, after Steve. Unfortunately the happiness doesn't last to long as the devil wants the baby's soul back. The other main storyline was that Morgan tells Andi that Sam is the devil's son too. She was going to find out sooner or later, thankfully sooner, and she naturally didn't take it too well. However, after pretending to be parents for a baptism ceremony the two of them begin to repair their relationship. The story to the episdoe was very nice, but there wasn't a lot of humor to be found in the episode. I realize that not every episdoe can be laughing of my seat all the time, but it just felt like there was something holding this episode back from being great. This episode wasn't horrible, but Reaper has done better.