Red Dwarf

Back To Reality

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Mar 26, 1992 on BBC Two

• The crew come across a giant squid on a ocean world, making them have hallucinations, where they are in a facsist world, where they try to kill themselves. where only Holly can stop them. First time we see Duane Dibbley.

This is one of the best episodes of Red Dwarf, which is saying alot. Duane Dibbley has got to be in my top 5 favorite characters of all-time, hilarious. He inclusion in episode alone makes it a classic, but added with the usually red dwarf comedy, non-stop laughter. It is episodes like this which makes Red Dwarf a classic show, one of if not my favorite comedy of all-time. This is a must see episode for all the red dwarf fans and even people aren't fans of the show, if only to see Duane Dibbley, who is the Kat's alter ego.
  • The crew encounter a giant squid on a ocean world, which causes them to hallucinate they are in real life, but they are actually in a facsist world, so they try to kill themselves. But Holly manages to stop them. First appearance of Duane Dibbley.

Great episode, hilarious, especially Duane Dibbley, the Cat's nerd alter-ego. I want to watch it over and over again(Not really, but you get the point, right?). Well, since I need to fill space, I'll just tell you a story. I was having breakfast at Caffe Latte on Wilshire, when I look out the window and I s ee a group of people riding segways, so I think that must be a small group of enthusiasts, but then I see a whole herd of peole on segways, just rolling and rolling, almost out of nowhere, but seeing I have the required number of words to fill this review, I would say good-bye, but then I would look like an inconsiderate, boorish, cowardly twit. Speaking of twits, how many of you like Rimmer?
  • Lost in Reality

This is my favorate episode of the show it's both hillarous at best but also trippy, way before "The Matrix", "Abres Los Ojos (Open Your Eyes)", and "A Scanner Darkly" but about close to the time of "Total Recall" this episode really played with our perceptions of reality. In a way the episode is kinda a Philp K. Dick like tale as it does deal with the concepts of our perception of reality and identity.

I'll admit part of the first half was a supprise (at the time) and for a moment made my heart sink when we see the crew destroyed, it took me a long amount of seconds to regester that in my mind because I couldn't believe what I saw.

But then another supprise was in store when we see all of them wake up and we discover Red Dwarf was a video game all along. This also took a while to regester in my mind, but the way it was played out I acutally believed it. One of the most hillarous moments was when all of the charcters they open up boxes to uncover their identities in the real world. Each as we see are contrary to their identities in the game. The one that is the most memorable and hillarous is Kat's whom is Dwane Dibbly. I just love seeing the amount of grief he is receiving as he looks at himself in the mirror with the bad haircut that looks like the same one Jim Carry had in "Dumb and Dummer" and those buck teeth, uncovering more of his idenity and what is says as self ranting. But one other that I felt was comic gold was of course the chase scene. Where we see all the characters in the real real world getting into a pretend car and feeling as though there really being chased when of course their really sitting on boxes and going nowhere. I couldn't help but laugh my head off as I was just seeing the acting, reactions, miming, and facial expressions of all the characters in that scene it all hit the right notes at the right times. The ending was a relief, it made me glad that every thing that happened on Red Dwarf was the reality and all of the characters are who they are.

Think your seeing reality, look carefully.
  • For the love of delusions

***SPOILERS***

The plot is just an excuse for a set of hilarious scenes that place the crew in a perceived jeapardy! Locations add a good deal of conviction to their plight as boyz from the dwarf wake up from their futuristic nightmare and jump from one crisis to another.

Your basic it never happened plot, with a deadly twist in the form of the very real squid! If you are awake (not easy at 1am) youll probably guess the whole 2 1/2 acts are an effect of the squids ink.

That aside, the actual illusionary journey that the guys go on to escape their predator is superb. The inside a virtual reality game is nicely done as they come back and crash on reality. Their illusionary alteregos are hilarious, especially the cats - Dwayne Dibley. :D As is Krytons Jake Bullet cop. The interesting setup of Rimmer and Lister as bros bring up more issues for the guys to deal with.

A good start, leads to a a great middle but the ending tails off as the guys escape without really learning and showing us anything new!

Still a great episode. One to watch.