Red Dwarf

Ouroboros

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Jan 31, 1997 on BBC Two

• Kochanski joins the crew and Lister finds out who his real parents are!

The crew has a new member! A new face to Kristine Kochanski comes in and she joins the group. Chloe Annett is a good actress and does the part well.

As time progresses nothing really happens until Lister finds out who his parents are. Since the opening scene was a flashback of when Lister was found under the pool table you knew that there was something about that.

The clue was of course the crate that once held Ourobros batteries.

The idea that Lister is his own father is classic Red Dwarf. THe confusing paradox that makes your brain hurt. I can't imagine it any different.

The episode was boring but good!
  • Nexus episode

With Rimmer sadly leaving the show, cue the return of Christine Konchanski - Chloe Annett, lovely jubbly! :D Two main threads propagate this episode, Christines arrival and the revelation of where Lister comes from. One of the overriding traits that defines our Lister has been his not knowing where he came from, or who his parent are - in this episode he and we find out.

Furthermore, Christines intro is written in an ok story which also provides an logical explanation for where he comes from. Having an alternative Red Dwarf crew has been done before, but Listy is a Hardlight hologram and we discover the nexus event that saved Listy in this dimension and does the same for Christine in hers.

Some natty special effects that you would expect from this show permeate the episode to go effect and the shows structure has a good beginning, middle and end. The pace is also quite frantic with the constant threat of a Gelb battlecruiser threatening to elimiate them, the time shard and almost takes out Christine.

An excellent intro for Konchanski's character. Sad to see Rimmer go - Id have preferred the Cat as most of the humour came from Rimmer, Lister and Kryton.

From what I remember the show started to go downhill from here comedywise - so I hope to see if my expectation levels have dropped since then.

Do watch, otherwise you wont know how Konchanski came on board.