Red Dwarf

Stoke Me A Clipper

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Jan 24, 1997 on BBC Two

• Rimmer leaves the show...for a while! He leaves the best way he can. By becoming the next ACE RIMMER

Ok, though I like this episode, I still say that it jumps the shark here. because Rimmer is such a pivitol character. He is the butt of the jokes and was meant to keep Lister sane. Now with him gone, will the characters fall apart? That was my first question when the episode ended. Granted Chris appears in two more episodes in the series, however Rimmer was still gone.

The way Rimmer went out was great! I loved the idea that he became the person he hated most in the world, yet everyone else loves him. I also like that they chose to let Cat and Kryten think that his Light Bee was in fact destroyed, which let Rimmer free to truely be Ace.

You can tell in this epiosde that Rimmer and Lister have developed a friendship in the passed 7 years. This was seen when Lister was really trying to convince Rimmer to go and be Ace. Also as Rimmer is leaving and he gives Lister a hug. In previous a previous series you would not have seen this. It is obvious that Rimmer and Lister ACTUALLY like each other when Rimmer leaves.

Good episode, though a jump the shark episode!