Red Riding

Channel 4 (ended 2009)

Red Riding Fan Reviews (4)

7.2
  • Nice start, disappointing end

I like the way Brits make their shows, especially the criminal dramas. They usually very good acted and use meticulously designed scripts that do not leave any loose ends in final episodes. This show started very well, as I would expect from a good British show. Unfortunately, the ending was confusing and even not too logical, time-wise speaking. My impression was that the show creators were pressed to complete it as soon as possible, so they did not carefully plan its conclusion. Too bad...
  • Red Riding = Awesome

Channel Four have been promoting this mini series for weeks, I dont usually go for British shows like this but I saw who was in it and I had to watch it, Sean Bean, Paddy Considine and Rebecca Hall. The series is very dark and it touches on some horrible crimes there is superb acting from the entire cast. The second part was a bit slower than the awesome first part but it picked up at the end Considine was great in episode two and I love the conclusion of this dark and gritty TV mini series. Fantastic series well worth buying on DVD.
  • I've just finished watching the first episode. I must admit it was different than the impression I'd gotten from reading about it. All in all not bad though, just different.

I was expecting more gore and shocking images, instead this is a low tempo, calm british show dipped in the atmosphere of a decadent 70s community. Lots of cigarette smoke, brandy, people shooting pool and fraternizing in clubs, 70s clothing, mid-70s architecture and yellowish wallpapers. All this has been reproduced very well and the whole appearance of it is very realistic. So kudos for achieving a genuine 70s atmosphere.

For those of you who aren't accustomed to modern british accent it might take a few minutes to get the hang of it. Turn the volume up and go with it until your ear gets familiarized. Now, as far as the case is concerned, it's about a young journalist who is trying to discover the truth behind a series of kidnappings of little girls, who are tortured, raped and then ritually murdered. The deeper he goes the more certain he is that everyone around him is involved, the police, his boss and newspaper, even one of the missing girls' mom. His suspicions revolve around a local magnate. In the meantime the police arrests a retarded photolab assistant for the murders, and tries to make him admit to killing all the girls.

There isn't much chasing around, bloody scenes and fast adventure in this show (though there are a few brutal scenes here and there), it's more a question of letting yourself get carried away by the atmosphere and the case, and running along with the main character. Does need a bit more bravado, however I can't say it doesn't maintain interest.
  • Quite disappointing for a show that has received so much advertising.

I know that this is part of a trilogy and that it's only the first part, but as a stand alone episode, it didn't seem that enthralling.

Eddie Dunford is a crime journalist for the Yorkshire press and he is following the abduction of a young girl. Like most crime journos in television, he gets too into the case and ends up getting brutalized by the police. As you do.

Eddie doesn't seem like much of a likeable fellow other than he has a fine moral compass and knows right from wrong, so when he sees corruption all around him, he wants to do something about it. But the thing is, he's not Arnie or even Jessica Fletcher and he certainly doesn't have the police's support because, to quote Bradley Bellick, they're "as crooked as scoliosis." Instead of simply letting it go and taking the threats, he goes at it alone and attempts to solve the murders and link them to the police and local businessmen.

The advertisements for this show portray a corrupt, horrible 70s and 80s Britain and make it out to be a twisting thriller where you can't trust anyone. In the show, however, it seems that Eddie is the only man you can't trust. The bad guys are bad guys and the good guys are good guys. Eddie is a man who wants to solve a brutal murder in one scene and in the next, he follows a girl he likes home and pretty much just walks into her house. It may be a "complex character" to the writers, but to me it seems sociopathic. I was expecting a rape scene.

Obviously the later episodes will expand on the story, but considering that they deal with the Yorkshire Ripper and not child murders as well as a cast of different characters, I wonder if it actually will or will each episode show completely unlikable characters doing completely unpredictable things?