Red Riding

Channel 4 (ended 2009)

Red Riding Fan Reviews (4)

• I've just finished watching the first episode. I must admit it was different than the impression I'd gotten from reading about it. All in all not bad though, just different.

I was expecting more gore and shocking images, instead this is a low tempo, calm british show dipped in the atmosphere of a decadent 70s community. Lots of cigarette smoke, brandy, people shooting pool and fraternizing in clubs, 70s clothing, mid-70s architecture and yellowish wallpapers. All this has been reproduced very well and the whole appearance of it is very realistic. So kudos for achieving a genuine 70s atmosphere.

For those of you who aren't accustomed to modern british accent it might take a few minutes to get the hang of it. Turn the volume up and go with it until your ear gets familiarized. Now, as far as the case is concerned, it's about a young journalist who is trying to discover the truth behind a series of kidnappings of little girls, who are tortured, raped and then ritually murdered. The deeper he goes the more certain he is that everyone around him is involved, the police, his boss and newspaper, even one of the missing girls' mom. His suspicions revolve around a local magnate. In the meantime the police arrests a retarded photolab assistant for the murders, and tries to make him admit to killing all the girls.

There isn't much chasing around, bloody scenes and fast adventure in this show (though there are a few brutal scenes here and there), it's more a question of letting yourself get carried away by the atmosphere and the case, and running along with the main character. Does need a bit more bravado, however I can't say it doesn't maintain interest.