Red Riding

The Year of Our Lord 1974

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Mar 05, 2009 on Channel 4

7.8
  • Red Riding Part One Review.

Channel Four have been promoting this mini series for weeks, I dont usually go for British shows like this but I saw who was in it and I had to watch it, Sean Bean, Paddy Considine (Although he's not in it till next week) and Rebecca Hall. The series is very dark and it touches on some horrible crimes there is superb acting in this the first episode was great its like a film each week I thought it would be a hour long but it was two. guess thats why its called the trilogy. I was glued to my seat watching this episode, loved it.
  • I know that this is part of a trilogy and that it's only the first part, but as a stand alone episode, it didn't seem that enthralling.

5.5
    Eddie Dunford is a crime journalist for the Yorkshire press and he is following the abduction of a young girl. Like most crime journos in television, he gets too into the case and ends up getting brutalized by the police. As you do.

Eddie doesn't seem like much of a likeable fellow other than he has a fine moral compass and knows right from wrong, so when he sees corruption all around him, he wants to do something about it. But the thing is, he's not Arnie or even Jessica Fletcher and he certainly doesn't have the police's support because, to quote Bradley Bellick, they're "as crooked as scoliosis." Instead of simply letting it go and taking the threats, he goes at it alone and attempts to solve the murders and link them to the police and local businessmen.

The advertisements for this show portray a corrupt, horrible 70s and 80s Britain and make it out to be a twisting thriller where you can't trust anyone. In the show, however, it seems that Eddie is the only man you can't trust. The bad guys are bad guys and the good guys are good guys. Eddie is a man who wants to solve a brutal murder in one scene and in the next, he follows a girl he likes home and pretty much just walks into her house. It may be a "complex character" to the writers, but to me it seems sociopathic. I was expecting a rape scene.

Obviously the later episodes will expand on the story, but considering that they deal with the Yorkshire Ripper and not child murders as well as a cast of different characters, I wonder if it actually will or will each episode show completely unlikable characters doing completely unpredictable things?