A Reign Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

Your fall season is busy. Your DVR is full. Do you really have room in your heart/on your screen for one more show about attractive people in olden-times frippery? Hell yes you do, and it is called Reign. And it is both spookier and more entertaining than you can probably imagine. I've already screened the pilot, and I'm here to tell you what to expect.

What beith this Reign?!

First off: As you may've heard, yes, this is the new fall series that features “Sexy Nostradamus.” Reign is an ambitious attempt by The CW to frame the epic reign of Mary, Queen of Scots as a soulful teenage drama in a similar vein as hit series The Vampire Diaries. The Scottish Queen was one of the most dramatic and controversial figures in her own day, and Reign picks up with her beginnings in the intrigue-filled royal court of France. The problem with Tudor-era history has always been that the genuinely compelling political and sexual power plays were enacted by royal persons who looked not unlike boiled potatoes trussed up like velveteen astronauts. Reign, like a teenage Tudors, solves this problem by casting exclusively hotties and throwing its copy of Costume Cavalcade: Period Costumes Sourced from Historical Documents straight in the garbage. It zooms in with laser focus on romance, visual lusciousness, and genuinely creepy moments.

Verily, who be at the helm of this entertainment and who doth the players be!?

The show started out in the capable hands of Stephanie SenGupta (Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Hawaii Five-0) and Laurie McCarthy, however SenGupta exited the series rather abruptly before production ended. Reign is now entirely McCarthy’s baby; her producing credits include the wildly popular Ghost Whisperer, Felicity, and the last couple years of the original Beverly Hills, 90210. Mary, Queen of Scots is played by Adelaide Kane, who is an insanely likable heroine, with KStew cool and Drew Barrymore warmth. You may also know her from Teen Wolf and The Purge. The show's hottie role call is almost too much for me to handle: Toby Regbo, Jordan Lee, Torrance Coombs, Ashley Charles, Luke Roberts… you see what I’m saying here? Your eyeballs are going to love this show.

When canst I see it?

Reign premieres Thursday, October 17 at 9pm on The CW. It’ll greatly benefit, at least at the start, from occupying the timeslot following the network's powerhouse The Vampire Diaries, where it will compete against Glee on Fox, Grey's Anatomy on ABC, Sean Saves the World and The Michael J. Fox Show on NBC, and The Crazy Ones and Two and a Half Men on CBS.

What manner of viewer shall be ruled by this Reign?!

There are some people for whom this kind of thing (gorgeous period costumes mixed with sexy romance and angst-ridden teen dialogue) is CRACK. I am one of them, and maybe you are too. Did you like the non-boring parts of The Tudors? Do you like complicated intertwining relationships a la The Vampire Diaries? Do you like it when romance is made a focus, not a B-plot? Does the idea of a brooding bad boy in a black poet’s blouse staring across the room at a ball make you want to get down on your knees and thank the Lord? Then welcome to our new obsession.

What attributes and virtues are met in this series’ aspect?

Reign totally succeeds in transporting the viewer back to a time when teens—and their dubious impulses—literally ruled the world. There’s a lot that’s spooky and dangerous about the series as well, with hints of a ghost story B-plot and murdered nuns and Sexy Nostradamus making very dire predictions. Also, and perhaps most importantly in terms of making a first impression, the show is GORGEOUS. Filmed in Ireland, every exterior shot is littered with actual castles and abbeys and misty woods that ground the series in the era. It’s so beautiful you could watch it with the sound off—but don’t, because you’ll miss the great music and dialogue. P.S. There are no thee or thy shenanigans either, so if you're typically put off by that stuff.

Oh no thees and thous? That's cool. Does it suffer any afflictions, though? 

If you go in expecting historical accuracy, you will be sorely disappointed. People who had conniptions over The Tudors' costumes and casting (“SLEEVELESS BALLGOWNS?!” “JOSS STONE AS ANNE OF CLEVES?!”) may have similar problems with Reign's outrageously sexy costumes, which, trust, you would not leave your heezy wearing in the merrie olde 16th century. Same goes for how we're in France but everybody has an English accent? Whatevs. If you’re a Tudor expert the anachronisms will bother you, but even so, just watch the pilot anyway and thank me later. This is The CW, after all. Although as long as we’re getting anachronistic with the clothes, maybe we could sprinkle a few actors of color in there? Here's hoping that happens in future episodes. Also it's waaaay sexy, so... don't settle down with the parents and a bowl of popcorn or things might get awkward.

Okay, but in truth, shall I watch this?

Hell yes you should watch this! Something this ambitious that’s not linked to vampires is sort of a leap for The CW, and ambitious original series should always be encouraged. Plus there’s so much to like: spooky ghosts. Irish castles. Secret passages. Amazing actors. Sexy Nostradamus. Sexy sex. Luscious prom-type gowns on the reg. Hair crownlets. Get your friends together and make a night of it.

Trailer or it didn't happen.

Here ya go. 

What drink goes well with this um, merriment, forsooth?

For teen viewers, I suggest a nice apple cider mulled with spices and sipped from your mom’s fanciest cups (bonus points if you can find silver-type goblets from a thrift store). Old biddies like me should mull some red wine and drink it out of a silver bowl so big you have to hold it with both hands.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

62 Comments
Comments (62)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
*perketh up hearing the Motherland* aye castles of Ireland ye sayeth? Prepareth the horses at once! Findeth this one called "pilot" and locketh it in the Tower immediately before ye starteth a bloody war! Ha!

((For the slow folks that means I will DVR it. I LOVE the medieval genre and besides it seems like everybody's doing witches and zombie shows these days both which are NOT my kind of monster. I'm one of those vampires you were talking about in the article but it's kewl. I know who I am, I don't follow trends, I like what I like and you're entitled to your own opinion. Unlike 90% of people the last few years, I didn't have to jump on the bandwagon when the vamp hype started because I was already there and have been for the last 20 years. Not changing either))
Flag
No, sorry I baileth on this one, if only because of the uber-annoying soundtrack featuring a guitar player obviously under the influence of biker speed. Nay,, nay, a thousand times nay...
Flag
You had me at "brooding bad boy in a black poet’s blouse staring across the room at a ball". Add it to the long list of shows I'm already watching!
Flag
I am, in fact, a Tudor expert (the history, not the TV show). Just the idea of filming Ireland as France makes me unhappy, so I guess I should steer clear.
Flag
Good week for former Power Rangers RPM cast as both Kane and Summer Landsdown (Tinkerbell on OUaT) have featured roles.
Flag
The pilot may be filmed in Ireland but the show is filmed in Toronto so expect less beautiful castles and scenery going forward and more Casa Loma.
Flag
I feel location grounds the story to reality in a way excessive CGI shots might not.
Flag
CW makes me want to punch tweens in the face some times... Supernatural and Arrow are the only tolerable things on that network. If you want a show like this make a TV adaptation of A Knight's Tale, but then that would also make me sad. RIP Heath. :(
Flag
Torrance Coombs - The Tudors, Heartland, now Reign. Maybe I should watch this just for him...
Flag
It appears that every archaic verb in the article is used incorrectly. It pains me so.
Flag
This sounds like Gossip Girl with historical twist, so no.
Flag
I do enjoy a good period piece so I'll at least check out the first episode, but if it doesn't grab me I can't promise a second chance.
Flag
Looks good I might give it ago CW has made some great TV hopefully this will be among them
Flag
lol, those bonfire would have people in them!
Flag
You want more "actors of colour"? You do realize this take place in Fracne, with a Scottish Queen & they are dealing with the English & Rome right?
Flag
Can't believe that among the hotties, you neglected to mention Anna Popplewell (Narnia's Susan Pevensie).
Flag
God, this is conflicting. In one hand, my CW quota is filled by Arrow and Tomorrow People. On the other hand, Adelaide Kane <3
Flag
Was unlucky enough to see this pilot a few weeks ago. It's absurd.. maybe i'm just too old for this type of show or maybe I remember when teen shows actually had a modicum of substance. This has nothing. And the only thing about it that is even remotely "period" is the clothes.
Flag
Where did u watch it?
Flag
To be fair, it was the adult audiences that gave up on The Borgias and The White Queen despite its writing and budget, so maybe its just the genre altogether.
Flag
This was a no for me, but after this article it might be a yes....as long as they don't totally disregard history (:
Flag
I'm sure whoever's killed in history will be killed in this show. But that won't stop them from wrangling exactly how and why. And the business of who was really allied with who in terms of personal relationships. The political stuff will probably remain much the same...
Flag
I've had my share of fake history with fake Leonardo Da Vinci, but I might check this one, or at least I'm closer to doing that now because of your pitch. And this queen is just too adorable to ignore.
Flag
I don't have faith in the CW to make Mary Queen of Scots the terrible person that she was, given that she is the main character. If the show devolves to the point where Mary tries to kill Elizabeth, fails and gets thrown into the Tower of London, I might watch the ending.
Flag
i have to say, i'm really happy that CW is venturing into period pieces. When i first hear about this, I was prepared to watch every episode of a crappy, low budget show just to encourage them to make more and more and because I LOVE PERIOD PIECES. Previews started coming up and I wasn't seeing a crappy low budget show so that made me happy so I researched a bit and then i came to something I didn't like.

When questioned about the incredibly drastic liberties they had taken with history (and I'm not talking dresses), their response was that teenagers arent interested in history (quote: “How many teenage girls do you know who are obsessed with history — I wasn’t at that age,”) and I actually find that a bit offensive. I'm all for creative license. I'm not a stickler for historical accuracy, I like period pieces because often times they inspire people to do self research and learn more about history. But from their responses, they seemed to have no respect for the history, or these characters who were actually real people and I feel should be remembered as such. All they did was take some names and then create their own entire story (read: they didn't draw on history for their plotlines at all), it might as well be in some fantasy world, not a period a piece.

Okay, sorry. I've been wanting to get that out of my system ever since I read the articles about the show and comments by the lead actress (the other actors seem respectful) and creators. That having been said, I am still totally going to watch this because as I've said I LOVE PERIOD PIECES, I'm just very disapointed in the people behind the show, but i will just not think of it when I'm watching and just separate myself even though I know have a lot less respect for the main actress and I can't believe what she calls research and OMG SORRY I'M DONE

Anywhosies, I'm excited and I hope it's as incredible (and stays as incredible) as this article says (:
More+
Flag
Yeah, it's a real shame, but I can't really blame the writers. They're trying to make a television show, and they believe they know what works (which is not a history lesson) so I can see why they've taken this route, I also wonder just how much real life events they would have been able to draw on to take things further dramatically. Perhaps there wasn't enough historical material to work with.
Flag
I really do respect that. Especially in respect to Prince Francis because he was a sickly child in real life who couldn't even hold up his crown on his own. It was mostly just the way they worded things that bothered me. History is my favorite subject, even when I was in high school, so I'm totally biased, and it's always bothered me that it's the stereotypical boring class. Which is why I LOVE PERIOD PIECES because they at least get people interested, whether their learning things correctly or not (:
Flag
Sexy Nostradamus says that I will fit this one in.
Flag
Woooow. You talked this up pretty effectively. I'm now planning to give the show a shot BECAUSE of your pitch. ^o^
Flag
This looks straight up retarded. No offence.
Flag
Isn't it funny how when someone says no offence they usually say something ridiculously offensive? Have you so little words in your vocabulary that you have to use the word "retarded" to describe something you think is ridiculous or stupid. You're not the only person in the world who is a person and has feelings. What next? "This looks straight up aspergers/autism/dyslexic"? Grow up, get out of elementary/primary school and try being less ignorant.
Flag
Well, i wrote it meaning no offence, saw it may cause offence and added no offence. All sorts of people make silly mistakes like using offensive terms, putting autism and dyslexia on the same level or greenlighting a show about a Scottish Queen living in France where everyone has an English accent and the entire cast is either Australian, English or Canadian and don't even get me started on 'Sexy' Nostradumbass.
FTR I have friends who are fully fledged members of DNA (National Association of Dyslexics) but don't worry - no offence taken.
Flag
frankly i could care less about reign. Never planned on watching it anyway. Nor was I placing dyslexia and autism on the same level. I was simply saying that using someone's disability or disease as a term to describe something you don't like is insensitive, especially when there are many other words you could use instead. I doubt your friends would like if people started using 'dyslexic' as a word interchangeable with the words 'stupid' or 'ridiculous'.
Flag
"This looks aspergers" may not be PC, but I wanna make it a thing.
Flag
This looks terrible, and I love period pieces.
Flag
I'm still trying to understand how Game of Thrones grabbed me, but as long as historical dramas keep getting cancelled, I'm guessing it was not the risque.

I hope this one does better than The White Queen, but I'm not watching it.
Flag
Your comment really intrigued me and not because of this show but because of "Game of Thrones". I want/need someone to pitch GoT to me and convince me that it's worth watching....and the fact that you say that you don't know "how it grabbed you" makes me think you may be the perfect candidate for it.
I watched the first 6 episodes of GoT and I could barely get through it. I found it slow, confusing, boring and trying too hard to be shocking and controversial. I also went in expecting it to have a lot of supernatural/fantasy poltlines but was very disappointed when those took a backseat to kingdom politics and family drama. However, my friends are insisting that the show gets better and from what I've read from the critics, apparently it's one of the best shows around. So, could you perhaps "pitch" why I should give GoT another chance to me? Please? It's a show I haven't entirely given up on but everytime I go to put the DVD in, I remember how utterly bored I was the first time and I don't go through with it.
Flag
I feel its rude to "pitch" a show in another community's show, especially when they belong to completely different genres.

As ratings go, the current trend doesn't seem to favor the historical drama, regardless how accurate or risque it gets.
Flag
Oh come on! That's a nice observation though. The fact that you don't want to talk about another show here. However, you're the one that brought it up in the first place and since I don't visit the GoT community (due to spoilers) I thought at least you'd have something constructive to say about it. But it's cool, I understand if you don't want to. Thanks anyway....I guess I'll just wait until there's nothing else on my watch list and I'll give it a second chance one day. Hopefully it gets better?!?
Flag
Like you say Lily, ambitious original series should always be encouraged, so I'll be watching (despite my full DVR!).

Whether Reign is actually good or not remains to be seen, but I'm interested to see where it goes, successful or otherwise.

Never been a huge fan of period pieces though, and the sound of romance being the major plot in the series is not appealing to me (spooky ghosts should obviously be the primary focus, duh).

And congrats to Australia's Adelaide Kane for landing a lead, I hope the show does well for her.
Flag
I'm conflicted because on the one hand, I HATE romantic plots more than anything but on the other, I LOVE costuming. My Mom is a costumer and I grew up wearing at least a dozen outfits every Halloween. Maybe someone could just photo recap it for me? haha
Flag
Cw has been promoting Reign alot so of course im going to check it out to see whats all the hype about... hopefully its good
Flag
Megan Follows is wasted on this.
Flag
LOL The girl in the middle is the spitting image of Lena Headey(pretty sure she played Susan in the Chronicles of Narnia). If GoT ever do flashbacks, they need to hire her.
Flag
IMO that girl looks like a brunette version of angry Britt Robertson. (assuming we're talking about the middle girl in the picture above "When canst I see it?")
Flag
Based on the trailer, to me, the set pieces and the costumes seem so out of place, especially compared to other 15th century/renaissance dramas I've seen in movies and TV, such as Elizabeth and the Borgia. I don't think CW can pull that refined style that cable networks and movie productions can offer. But I guess its unfair to expect expensive high production value from a CW show.

Considering its a CW show Its probably aimed at teenage girls (nothing wrong with that, I watch Arrow and Supernatural). But in all honesty, I want to check it out. Since my TV watching has been completely devoid of historical dramas lately, I'm really tempted to watch this show. To hell with those people who say that the show is not historically accurate. As long as they don't show obvious anachronisms like having cars during that time.
Flag
Lily - thanks to you I'm now so excited about Reign. I love TVD and I enjoyed both the White Queen and the first two season of Tudors. So Reign sounds like a perfect show for me. And since I practically stoped watching Greys Anatomy (it's beyond terrible these days) I have a free spot in my Thursday's tv schedule. I can't wait for all these shirtless huggs to happen. Also I need to buy red wine.

Fingers crossed you will review Reign, Lily :)
Flag
Staff
U KNOW IT!!! I am very psyched.
Flag
YAY!!!! :)
Flag
Nope...and sheerly for selfish purposes. I liked Cora on Teen Wolf and thought having a sister helped Derek and, it seemed to me, clearly a girl who could both challenge and who actually liked Stiles. Even if she would have to threaten him to express those feelings.
Flag
Good Lady Sparks, it doth pain me to correct thee, but the show doth premiere on the morrow at 9pm.
Flag
Staff
you are the wind_shadow beneath my wings
Flag
:-D
Flag
Staff
We fixed it, it was a 9pm/8pm Central editing error. Bonus points for your phrasing!
Flag
in canada it primeres wed 16th at 8:00pm. On cw it primeres thurs 17th at 9:00pm
Flag
Really? I think its on a different channel in Canada. They are showing it at MTV or something. I'm from Canada but I have CW. So technically it also airs tomorrow on CW in Canada.
Flag
ya i have cw too. its on M3 tonight in canada.
Flag
Then you agree that the above assertion that "Reign premieres Thursday, October 17 at 8pm on The CW" is incorrect, yes? :-)
Flag
i was agreeing with you that its on at 9pm on thursday on cw and adding more. The fact that it airs a day earlier in canada means it will be available online before it airs in the states.
Flag
Got it. And in re-reading my comment, I realized I came off sounding WAAAY more of an asshole than I intended, so sorry for that. :-/
Flag
Well she goes on to say that it premieres AFTER TVD, so while she contradicts herself, she's also half right. If you don't know when TVD airs, then shame on you.
Flag
Fair point! :-)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members