A Reign Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

Reign S01E08: "Chosen"

Blood Wood, blood month, bloodLUST. If you correctly guessed last week that the next word to be modified by 'blood' would be 'lust,' then WELL DONE! Reign’s “Chosen” threw around the term bloodlust like so much confetti or at least its 16th-century equivalent (the eyelashes of servants?) and put Bash in a situation that stretched his bashionate nature to its utmost: The pagans threatened Mary’s life first with itchy accessories...

And then a STAG’S HEAD! Quite a wake-up call, I think we can all agree. Like I can’t even deal with taxidermy and taxidermy doesn’t drip.

Yes, the pagans were intent on Bash replacing the human sacrifices he had so casually cut down last week—by FORCING him to kill an innocent and spilling that innocent’s blood!! And if he didn’t, they would kill Mary, because frankly the security in the Court of France is right up there with the security around the bathrooms at a wooded campsite with no doors on the showers, located downhill from an insane asylum. And also it’s not camping season. What I’m trying to say is the security at Court is terrible.

I’m not going to lie to you, I was a little disappointed that they tipped Bash into such a terrible do-or-die, Mary’s-life-is-at-stake, countdown-clock situation the episode after the kiss. I was hoping for a little soul-searching, a few whispers in the corridors betwixt him and Mary, a little more “Dare we even dare to fall in love?” but before Bash could so much as gently offer to fingerblast Mary in the privacy of a palace staircase he was AXE-FIGHTING with Wiccans (okay, I know they weren’t Wiccans, they were pagans) in the woods and catchin’ a case of Bloodlust so fierce he had no choice but to tip poor Jean Valjean off an extremely picturesque cliff.

Bash! Bash. I suppose it's sort of dramatic and romantic to think he was doing all of this for Mary’s sake, although it could also be argued he was doing it to shield his mother and hide her terrible secret from the court: that she was DEFINITELY a Wiccan back in middle school.

Diane, a.k.a. the Official Royal Hussy, definitely got a little spotlight this week and she was pretty great. She’s not particularly shook about Kenna taking over as new Official Royal Dick Warmer, in a few lines between Diane and Henry, we learned this has happened before and that Henry is held in thrall by her ability to arrange her own interior decorators and not complain. Meanwhile, Kenna had a full-on tantrum this episode over iconography in the floor tiles.

Kenna’s first mistake was slapping away Mary’s kind gesture when all the waiting besties went to greet the King on his return from Paris. Kenna was wearing every cape and shawl and hair crown and generally looking like she’d rolled around in the lost & found the last day of Coachella and all the girls were like, “What’s up ho?” and Mary was like, “Kenna can look nice if she wants to!” and Kenna was basically like, “Good job defending me P.S. I hate you.” Oh Kenna. 

Kenna invited all her friends to the King’s bedchamber (awkward) to make the big announcement that she was the new royal mistress. Peaseblossom and Greer and Lola seemed tentatively cool with it, but foolishly asked for details, sending Kenna off onto a tangent/flashback about that time the King fingerblasted her at the top of a staircase. (Was this perhaps the footage that got cut from the original controversial masturbation scene in the pilot?!) Did you notice how instantly awkward everyone got, the resigned expressions of “TMI but what can we do” that filled their faces? I mean every conversation with Kenna comes back to this: 

Any of the waiting besties could sit across from a police sketch artist and produce a photographic representation of Kenna’s genitals at this point.

However then one of them pointed out Henry and Diane’s initials intertwined in the tiles of the floor and Kenna kind of lost it a little bit. Immediately she was haranguing the King about knocking out all the tiles and being the kind of honorable man who would ditch the mother of his child for a teen he met two weeks ago. As a show of good faith, he arranged for CGI artists to depict her name in glowing lights.

Sweet, right? Impermanent but sweet. It was more than enough for Kenna, who lost her mind and sucked face with the King in gratitude. I will say that while their relationship is shady on every level, the two actors have so much chemistry that I am constantly delighted when they’re onscreen together. Their banter! Their flare-ups! Their sultry eye contact! I don’t agree with anything y’all are doing but also please don’t stop. 

Much like her purported waiting ladies, we actually didn’t see a lot of Mary this episode. Poor Mary, her life in danger, had to resort to asking Sara Too Many Headbands to come and sit with her and she had her life threatened by a freaking pagan charwoman who had an ankle knife! I mean really, security?! Come on. Peaseblossom, where were you? Greer, for shame.

Evil had infiltrated the serving folk of the castle, and we got to see the contrasting between Mary and Catherine’s leadership styles when they took turns asking the servants which of them were in league with the Deville. Mary was like “No judgement. We just want to know who is trying to kill me because France. No judgement.” and Catherine was like “Rat out whoever put the stag in Mary’s bed or I’ll burn all your houses to the ground.” Catherine: She gets results!

I also genuinely liked how angry Catherine was about Mary’s room being broken into by someone that wasn’t her. And Mary instantly calling her on it, like, “Oh you’ve broken into my room before maybe they borrowed your jimmy.” I mean Mary just genuinely does not give a shit about putting on the nice around Catherine. Next week I half expect her to pull on Catherine’s pigtail and call her “carrots” a la Gilbert Blythe.

With both Catherine and Mary on the case however, the truth surfaced: One of Catherine’s own guards had hung the stag in Mary’s bed, and then when she deduced (aloud, Angela Lansbury style) that he would've then had to change to another uniform, she remembered how baggy her guard’s sleeves were and fingered the culprit! (Not that kind of fingered, Kenna. Take it easy.)

I don’t know if this was intentional or not, but there was more than one guard in an ill-fitting costume this week. I’m not sure if that’s good continuity or just a bad coincidence, but there was one guy in like a midriff-sized piece of armor who I noticed before it even became a story point. I guess what I’m saying is it takes balls for a period piece to make a huge story point rely on an extra wearing ill-fitted armor. I mean they are basically DARING us to monitor how well-fit the costumes are on minor characters in future scenes and episodes. Cojones for days. 

Speaking of cojones for days: As much as I did not like Bash immediately morphing into Blood Bash the very next episode after the Kiss of the Century, I thought Francis’s speech to Bash and Mary was kind of incredible. He pointed out how the pagans had exploited Mary because of the feelings they knew the two had for each other, and how they all had too much responsibility to get jealous and petty about their love lives. Just a really responsible moment for him there and well said and a lot of complex emotions. Aaaaaand then he somehow twisted that into him and Mary being on a break!! Hahaha that was the best indication we've seen so far that Francis is a born politician: "We've got to be more responsible and focus on what's right for the country. P.S. we're single now so I can sex with Olivia and it doesn't count." He also explicitly forbid Bash from having a crush on Mary! Can he even do that? Bash was like, "Dude, I just killed two people for this girl. You are the worst brother ever."

Poor Olivia. This is a victory for her, but what a line from Francis: “I can’t promise you anything.” I can’t speak for all ladies everywhere, but that is the mental equivalent of hitting an “eject” button on this Batmobile (I can speak for Batmobiles everywhere when I say that we expect emotional commitment and accountability). However Olivia was like, “JUST GIVE ME THE SPERMS” because she wants to get pregnant, lest Catherine haul her in front of another green screen and use the phrase "into your bed" again. So it was very much a win for Olivia and a devastating loss for Mary. I mean, talk about a bummer of a night: Not only was Francis getting busy somewhere down a corridor, but they straight-up burned the pagan pyres DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF HER ROOM. The howling screams, the smells. She really should have closed those windows. Like, there aren't enough Glade Plugins in the world.

Of course now Bash has ammunition for wanting to oust Francis kinda sorta maybe? Look, I love that these two love each other. And I love that Bash told him once that being terrified about killing someone was a correct response. But Francis played some mind games with Bash this episode and Bash did not come clean about liplocking with Mary, and also they called each other “brother” about 75 times, which is usually how period dramas convey rising tension. Which is good! Bring it! The conflict and drama, is what I’m saying. Good things! I hope Bash isn’t permanently a pagan psychopath, though.

QUESTIONS:

... How long will Blood Bash hunger for the demise of innocents?

... Will Diane strike back against Kenna, or just wait for Henry to get sick of her? Will he get sick of her?

... How much of the oncoming season will center around pagans? Are you feeling this storyline?

... Is Catherine kind of sort of the best?

... Were you anxiously waiting for the letter-writing plot to pay off in this episode? Me too.

... What are these waiting ladies even doing to help Mary? Ever since Lola disrespected her (a.k.a. the pilot) do they not just treat her like the group outcast?

... Olivia and Francis: Can you (can Mary?!) ever forgive him?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

143 Comments
Comments (143)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
So I've been reading it as "Peaselbottom" this whole time (because I'm dumb). I will continue to do so because that cracks me up nearly as much as your recaps do. Lily, I love you, let's be best friend forever.
Flag
hahahah I love the FRIENDS references! Honestly your reviews are entertaining.
Flag
I will never stop laughing at this! It's too brilliant!!!!!!

These reviews just keep getting better and better! XD

Flag
Francis just thinks with his junk.

Flag
Team Bash because he GETS SHIT DONE
Flag
Bash: You know who I am, don't you?
Thief: I'm just happy to be alive man, I'm so excited I mean I'm even talking to the bastard prince! Got out of jail, was not ritual sacrificed, got to meet royalty, pretty good day in my opinion. Sorry I'm so chatty, I'm just so relieved, you know?
Bash: Well f#&k, why didn't you just keep your mouth shut you nitty?
*shoves*
Flag
Exactly this. It was supposed to be a horrible moment when Bash commits more murder (gasp! Must be that Bloodlust). But it was really just funny. I swear he even rolled his eyes. No dramatics just *shove*
Flag
I found it really difficult to follow what was happening this episode. Yes, it may be cos of the extra strong pain killers I'm on at the mo, but really, no one was acting like themselves. Cept Mary and Kenna I spose. At the end with Frances and his ho, I was just... really, Francis? C'mon! Jerk face
And yes Megan Follows is amazing as a a bad guy/evil queen/ strong tough don't f with me lady character
Flag
LOL at that awesome Friends reference, I haven't seen the episode yet but I won't be able to watch that scene without your review in mind - "you are not even Joey, you are like the Gunther." XD Aah I think I'm starting to lean towards Team Bash... and that too from your review alone! Loved it x
Flag
Team Bash Always :)
Flag
Hahahahahaha the Friends reference killed me! XDD I just hated so much the stance Francis took, it really dissapointed me :/ I guess I was just hoping he would fight for Mary, not toss her aside as easily as he did.

Aaaand no, the pagan storyline is getting dull for me, i think they should make it stop.
Flag
Catherine is kinda sorta ABSOLUTELY the best! And if I can forgive Mary then I can forgive Francis. I just love this show all the way around. Can't wait until Dec. 5th!!!
Flag
frankly the security in the Court of France is right up there with the security around the bathrooms at a wooded campsite with no doors on the showers, located downhill from an insane asylum.
Ha! That's exactly like my camping ground except mine is across the street from a prison instead.

Next week I half expect her to pull on Catherine’s pigtail and call her “carrots” a la Gilbert Blythe.
Wouldn't that spell instant death? At 12, when that occurred Gilbert got the slate broken over his head and Anne not speaking to him for 4yrs until either he gave up his teaching post at Avonlea for her (Right?, Because she still wasn't speaking to him after he pulled her out of the river after her fake funeral met an unexpected watery end.) And with her being older and with a country at her beck and call instead of just owning a carpetbag...

but there was one guy in like a midriff-sized piece of armor who I noticed before it even became a story point.
That'll be awesome if it does come into play later.

I would agree with Francis giving a great speech and that yes he is just as twisty and sleazy as a politician. And good point about him directly saying those words is what would make brother relationship more strained. I am highly curious on Henry's pov on his son's in a love triangle. Does he even care?

I really like dhow we got to see way more of Diane this episode. She made herself a favorite with me and I hope to see more of her. I also really like the scene between her and Henry talking about Kenna and how it didn't harm their relationship in anyway. Personally I think Keena is likely to get pregnant season finale time if not next season in order to cement her position more. I don't know my history well enough and refuse to look it up because of spoilers, but we know there are plenty of bastard royals running around that don't get as publicly acknowledged as Bash or Portugal did so its totally easy to write it in.

More+
Flag
I am super skeptical of this show but a little interested at the same time. This was the first episode I've watched and I only got through half, mostly because of boredom. To me it didn't seem like anyone was really at the center driving the story and providing someone/something to root for and need to see play out (I know, I know, that one brunette chick - yeah, one of 'em - is the heroine!). It was mostly a bunch of rich kids wandering around a castle trying to figure out what was going on while also being somewhat interested in each other's love lives.

I mean, am I wrong? Is there an actual strong central character, theme and plot going on? I just walked away with an impression of it being a super light version of the already-popcorn entertainment Tudors. At least there it was always about the tense, central conflict of Henry VIII needing heirs to secure his dynasty of paranoia and insecurity. And Jonathan Rhys Meyers was super intense in his role. Reign's lead is about as charismatic and interesting as a glass of milk from what I could gather here. Maybe they just need to pull Natalie Dormer off Game of Thrones and have her take over.

Replace all the other actors while you're at it. Except the guy who chucked the other guy off a cliff and apparently has an ex-pagan mother. He can stay.
More+
Flag
Why would you come into a brand new show on the 6th episode? Try starting with the first and things will make a lot more sense. :) Reigns plot is over arching, the episodes aren't self contained.
Flag
Actually, I did the same thing. I didn't think the series looked that great so I never started watching it , but I was SO wrong! I was very lost, but I thought that the characters were very interesting and I was not bored at all. I read the episode summaries on Wikipedia and then watched the previous episodes on cw.com. Now I am so hooked and can't get enough of this show!!

Flag
Because the sixth episode was the one they were playing when I came across it. In all seriousness though, I didn't expect to know everything right away (or much of anything). I get that they're in the midst of things. Being lost wasn't the problem. For me, seemingly not much going on at all was the problem (and no characters popping out as interesting).

Apparently the episode was supposed to center around Mary being terrorized (probably by the pagans they were going on about), with a major subplot being one of the other girls at court revealing herself to be the King's new mistress, despite feeling a little neglected by him already. Both had very little substance to their scenes.

But I'm willing to except that it was just a slump episode and give it another shot. The old mistress' son (and dude who threw another dude off a cliff) is hot and intense enough for me to proceed, and hopefully see that there's more to the show.
Flag
I have to admit, this episode wasn't the best episode to start watching the show. Try starting with the pilot and work from there. The brunette chick heroine (that's Mary, Queen of Scotland) is a lot smarter and more "root for" worthy than she is portrayed in this latest episode. The earlier episodes focused more on political maneuvering rather than the sibling love triangle. And you have yet to meet the creepy castle ghost Clarissa who was sadly missing from this episode.
Flag
So far the writing has been good on this wonderful new show, so I'm hoping the writers won't drop all the storylines that have been started over the last few weeks. Such as Clarissa, the letter-writing and Mary being onto Catherine's plotting against her.

The triangle between Francis/Mary/Bash is shaping up to be exciting. I haven't decided yet where I fall on that one. I like both brothers. I wish that Mary had said more in her defense (when Francis confronted her) than "I wasn't thinking". What about "I was drunk" or "I was jealous of Olivia". What she said was kind of weak, but she was caught and obviously flustered, so I also get that.

And I hope they get rid of Olivia quickly. I do not enjoy Francis being tempted by her presence. He's a bit of a fool in the romance department clearly. Bash is more mature and responsible (except possibly when it comes to murder).
Flag
How does the French Royal Court have the worst security in history?! They have entire armies and a crazy dislike for heretics and pagans and yet they can't chase a few peasants from the forest? They can't have the army cull the forest or burn all those practising witchcraft as they would have done a few decades earlier? If I was Mary I'd be worried about the power of a family held captive in what appears to be their one castle by some unarmed peasants waging badly organised guerilla warfare.
Flag
Francis is SUCH a hypocrite! It's so annoying! 'I can have all the shirtless hugs I want with whomever, and so can you but PS not with the guy you actually like.' WTF?! And Bash is the absolute best. Person. Ever. Bloodlust or not. He is perfect.
Flag
If this show can keep consistently making episodes this good, I have high hopes for its future. It seems like more and more people are getting into the show. YAY! Long may she reign!
Flag
I sincerely hope that will be the case. So far it's exceeded all my expectations. It's not just a good show, it's a great one! I'm hoping for a long, popular run!
Flag
I am loving Bash. I want as much of him as possible in the following episodes. Bash and Mary have such great chemistry, more than her and Francis. I am liking this show more and more each week! Great review!
Flag
I live for your reviews of this show. That's just the truth.
Flag
Hahaha, so true! "You are not even Joey, you are like the Gunther". Or "I'm gonna wear you a-holes like jelly bracelets at a rave", say whaaat? Where does she even come up with this stuff? Extremely good!
Flag
My suggestion to Kenna, he's the KING, you're essentially nobody, maybe try not being quite so high maintenance.

Catherine was so upset that the pagans dared to come into her house and threaten Mary. How dare they! If anyone gets to terrify and eventually kill Mary it's Catherine! Not some random pagans!

Bash just shoving that thief off the cliff was so cold. Not a second thought anywhere in sight, wow.

And Francis, him going to Olivia in the end was such a disappointment, not only because he should be ashamed of that behavior, but because while he was busy sexing up Olivia & being a horrible fiancee/brother he was also playing right into Catherine & Olivia's repulsive plan to trap him with a pregnancy (hate that particular scheme btw, putting that kind of thing on a kid is just horrible)
Flag
I think there's much more to Bash's inner "evilness" than meets the eye. But it also seems to me like he's just someone very passionate, who will do whatever he needs to to protect the ones he loves. He's like Damon from TVD: his choices may not always be morally right, but they'll always be to protect his loved ones. And I absolutely adore that Mary's already one of those people!
Flag
I'll be interested to see if there's more to Catherine's plan to make Olivia Queen by Francis getting her pregnant. I mean in her situation Diane was pregnant with Bash before she was with Francis and she's still Queen. Unless Catherine was already married to Henry before Diane got pregnant...
It'll also be interesting if Bash gets legitimized - would it make him first in line for the throne?

LOVED your Friends references Lily! Francis is essentially having his cake and eating it too with Olivia, considering Mary can't compromise her virtue (and the only other guy she may like is Bash)
Flag
I am surprised Catherine hasn't picked up on Mary&Bash (Mash?) yet. Wouldn't that be a perfect way to screw up the marriage with Francis? She is a terrible person but a wonderful character, and it would actually be nice to see her plotting something that audience wants to happen.

I know some people favor Francis (which is weird but can happen ;)). Overall things were going a bit too well with Francis and Mary so I get that they had to make Francis a little less perfect. Now that Mary feels betrayed by Francis she can actually point her eyes towards the god.. um guy that was ready to kill for her. (Yes Francis said "anyone but him" but isn't that more like a dare? Like any self respecting woman would ever listen to a rule like that.)
Flag
Don't forget that Francis is not Catherine's first child, just her and the king's first born son. In the pilot episode Francis's sister was getting married.
Flag
i dont care at all about Kenna and Henry, just who cares.
Flag
I love Bash's character, and I hope that the next episode really brings out his regret for what he did--both with Mary and the murders--now that his brother is missing. I've really loved their relationship so far and I want that to continue to be natural and great. I don't want to see Bash do a complete 180 and become bloodlust-y because he didn't intend to kill the thief and even when he did it was so he could save his mother and himself. So I want him to regret that but eventually become the funny, lively character he was before, if slightly more serious due to character development.
Flag
I haven't been this excited about a love triangle since One tree hill.
Flag
Hahahaha! I so hear ya.
Flag
This episode was disappointing for me...not because it was a bad episode because this show is AWESOME, but as a member of #teamfrancis this was upsetting. I was hoping for Francis to come to Mary's aid as he did in the past when her life was threatened. Instead he twisted the situation as a sorry excuse to break up with Mary after de laring his love for like a week or two prior.
DISAPPOINTED....
I have never been a fan of Kenna throwing herself at the king (which is what she was doing inspite of him pursuing her) she toyed with him and enjoyed it. she is one of those women who would sleep with the boss because he's the boss. After last night's episode I dislike her character more. How could she be so naive and out of control when she spends so much time with Mary who is for the most part level headed, thoughtful and considerate? Apparently, Mary's good trraits have not rubbed off on Kenna.
Although the writer's have taken my goodwill towards Francis, I'm still a Frary shipper. I believe that Francis will redeem himself. Unfortunately, his redemption may come too late to avoid severe consequences.
More+
Flag
Judging from the promos for the next ep, I'm thinking Mary/Francis will sort of get back together maybe? I mean that kiss def wasn't nothing.
Flag

Don't you just "LOVE" the fact that Francis suggests seeing other people (for those off you that didn't pick up on it that was sarcasm). He tells Mary to go have her romance with who she likes (but NOT with his brother) while he bangs Olivia. Only Mary can't have a romance because her virtue will be in question and then she can't marry a future king.

So Francis gets to have fun with the added bonus of Mary being unhappy, alone and still a virgin. On top of that he guilt tripped his brother. Way to go Francis, you rule.

Flag
Being a high-born woman in that age. Totally not all what it's cracked up to be, I think...
Flag
This is exactly what I thought after that scene!
Flag
I totally thought the same thing about Francis. He knows Mary can't have any kind of romance at most slight flirting but even then carefully. But since he's a guy he gets to bang whoever whenever while they "wait".

Flag
Halalalala each week this show is getting better isn't it ??

+ Special Mention to the King, I think I am totally in love with him.
Get lost Kenna Henri II is mine !
And I totally know where François got his tactical skills with women....cause even if my beloved King said please to Kenna and try to "please" her....he finished in Diane's bed...He is totally AWESOME! (or at least he is a true King)

That been said: what, What, WHAT (the F...?) no episode next week.....I am so dead already, I can (hardly) survive a week without Peter Pan in OUAT (yes I need a bunch of hate each week), can survive without Klaus's grin in The Originals...but I am not sure I will survive a week without braids and hairbands.
Come on people, do you really have to stop broadcasting tv-shows cause of Thanksgiving....(maybe you do, I don't know I am French)

Ok back to the episode, is it me or the "pagans" are everywhere there's more of them than gremlins how do they recruit people in this castle ??....
And what is Clarissa doing ??
Can't she do something to scare them ? I am sure she can!
Why did she stop sleeping under Marie's bed, she oculd have bite the leg of whoever put the stag's head.
And where was Nostradamus this week, if someone could have been useful this week it could have been him.....instead he let all the bad work to Catherine who was truly amazing !

And I don't think François is doing a Ross, cause I am not sure Ross did a Ross I mean...they were separated weren't they ?
I can't recall...still Ross is Ross and François is François and I must say that I don't get him (probably cause I am a girl)
He is jealous and angry (he goes to Olivia to release pressure ok..he is his father son after all) but why tell Marie to go to someone else when it's clear he will be more & more jealous....
Even future kings are stupid, that's probably why Monarchy ended in 1789.

... How long will Blood Bash hunger for the demise of innocents?
I think he killed the thief just cause the thief heard that his mother used to be with the pagans....I am not sure he is hunger for blood.

... Will Diane strike back against Kenna, or just wait for Henry to get sick of her? Will he get sick of her?
Henri won't get sick of Kenna she is probably a breathe of fresh air, 20 years with Diane...and now a 16 years old who make him "beg" on his kneeq...and he is still with Diane (sort of) he gave her a huge cottage and can meet her when he wants with their son as a pretext.

... How much of the oncoming season will center around pagans? Are you feeling this storyline?
I hope they won't continue too much with pagans, but somehow I think it has also to do with Clarissa...

... Is Catherine kind of sort of the best?
Not sort of she is the best ! (ok I have to admit I started this show cause of the actress...of Robbie Kay nailed Peter Pan, I think she was born to be Catherine)

... Were you anxiously waiting for the letter-writing plot to pay off in this episode? Me too.
Not really especially when the blond girl was told she won't leave the country, I think the letter plot will be her end...and it's far too soon in the season.

... What are these waiting ladies even doing to help Mary? Ever since Lola disrespected her (a.k.a. the pilot) do they not just treat her like the group outcast?
They are no friends, they are silly bitches who enjoy to badmouth Marie while enjoying what she can offer...ok let's face it, they are spoiled brats !

I spoke far too much (sorry)
More+
Flag
Oh man this show! What's going on w Henry II of France is what already went on with King Henry IV of England. Well Except Ann Boleyn did it MUCH better. Kinda wish she was alive to give Kenna some pointers.
Flag
First of all nobody has mentioned that when the pagans were burning they mentioned "Him" so what/who they worship is male. Also where was Clarissa to help her friend Mary with stags & etc (unless she IS a pagan as some of you were saying last week)

Also do the pagans accept the blood sacrifice by Bash (since it was their own priest) or does he still "owe" them. The stupid thief should of just shut up after Bash didn't sacrifice him. I was going "Ohh shut up" & I think I might of pushed him off the cliff himself. I think Bash did it for his mother.

Also Francis speech about Mary not knowing how to act in court & Bash's mom telling him not to antagonize the future king shows how politics were in that age & makes us realize how smart this show really is. Yes I get Francis being angry about Bash/Mary kiss & his rant but going to Olivia I am FURIOUS.

Anything that has to do with a "break" always reminds me of Friends too. Your gifs were hilarious.
- I don't believe their is a Blood Bash
- Diane had no need to strike back. I mean she still has the King, even in her bed so why would she. Kenna's whining got on my nerves, if I were the King I wouldn't have Kenna written in lights I would have kicked her out of my chambers.
- Loving the pagan storyline. I think Diane has more to do with it then she is letting on. The pagans will keep showing up for a while.
- Catherine is amazing!!
- Too early for the letter plot to come to fruition I think
- Ladies in waiting should dress etc their lady, but these girls do nothing!
- I am really really furious but Mary will forgive him.

More+
Flag
I totally agree. I was FURIOUS as well. He was right with most of his comments and I get him warning Mary off Bash because if he does end up marrying Mary, he cannot have any questions about the continuation of his line and the paternity of any heirs. And that means sending Bash away or having him killed if he is involved with Mary. That puts him in an awful position. But OLIVIA? He played a role in compromising her already and if he truly wants to fix it, he needs to not sleep with her- help her act above reproach and find her a husband.
Flag
I think Francis kinda made a good point with his little speech. That in he and Mary falling for each other they were setting themselves up for the 'worst kind of pain' since there's a very real chance that they might not end up together. The guy is just trying to avoid it.
Flag
Word for the day: Fingerblasted!

Great review Lily! My favorites:
"Watch and learn.. watch and learn.."
"I am NOT a Ross."
"You are not even Joey, you are like the Gunther."
Flag
1) Hopefully at least one more episode, a talent like that looks like it will be of use for the next episode (IRG... 2 weeks! Will I make it that long?)

2) I think Diane has shifted her priorities to Bash for now. She can just sit back and watch Kenna self destruct (based on this episode, there is no evil revenge necessary for that to occur).

3) I have no idea. I hope they take a role similar to Clarissa and just show up every few episodes to stir up an entertaining amount of drama and remind Mary that everyone is basically just trying to kill her all the time.

4) Catherine is awesome. She and Mary should try this good cop/ bad cop routine more often.

5) No, for some reason I felt like this episode was like a break (from the mysterious guy jumping off a ledge to the end of this episode actually). It still had the Reign flares of the show, but it felt a little bit separate from the running story-line to me for some reason. Mary was taking some time off... every other scene began with someone asking "where's Mary?". So it is OK that the letter didn't show up this time.

6) The ladies are there to compete with Mary to see who can stir up the most drama in French court. Mary was clearly in the lead with her love triangles and wars with the queen, but Kenna proved to be a strong contender by going straight for the king. Lola started off strong by dating a rapist, but she has lost some steam along the way. Greer (who is also there so I can drool over basically every dress she wears) is trying her best in this race, but her relationship is too private right now. Aylee is the only one who always seems to keep her loyalties, but she makes up in braids what she lacks in scandals.

7) I was actually really impressed with Frances during this episode (even his stunning ability to legitimize sleeping with someone else). He told everyone to get in line and remember what's at stake, something that needs to be a constant reminder in this show. I think I will be able to forgive him, but he's seriously going to have to earn it first.
More+
Flag
Kenna was so happy about becoming the Official Mistress. I wonder if the title comes with an non finger-bangging perks. I wonder if that is how she will be introduced at parties? Also, are there unofficial mistresses?
Flag
Oh, and for a society and a time obsessed with female virginity her loudly and happily announcing she was doing it with the King seemed strange. I would think one of the duties of "Official Mistress" is to be discreet.
Flag
The entire scene was ridiculous yet I loved it. Come have Tea in my boyfriends bedroom, BTW he's the King and lops off heads at parties.
Flag
And her surprise that her girlfriends were not 100% behind her? Loved the look on all their faces that screamed, 'this is a terrible idea,'
Flag
Maybe, but they'd be considered fools by everyone since an 'unofficial' mistress loses her virtue and gains none of the perks (court status = people still want/respect your sorta-power) You'd have to be pretty safe and set if you were gonna go there...
Flag
Wowza, this episode was so good! Though I completely agree: I wanted more whispering in corridors, stolen kisses by the lake... During the scene when Mary thought Bash had snuck into her room before she woke up, how many of you wanted him to actually do that? Not the necklace-you-are-marked-to-die-thing, but the surprising-her-with-breakfast-thing or just I'm-in-your-room-watching-you-from-afar-because-you-are-the-loveliest-creature-I-ever-beheld maybe? Hmmz, if only...

1) How long will Blood Bash hunger for the demise of innocents?
Until the moment when Mary really marries Francis, even though she has sworn her eternal love for Bash! Forbidden love = epic!

2) Will Diane strike back against Kenna, or just wait for Henry to get sick of her? Will he get sick of her?
Diane won't strike back, I think. She doesn't need to, because I don't think there's a future for Kinga (is that a good way to go? Kenna/King = Kinga?). Unless Kenna starts to be someone who the king can also talk to, instead of just doin' the dirty with her.

3) How much of the oncoming season will center around pagans? Are you feeling this storyline?
To be honest, I'm not really liking this storyline. But on the other hand, you can't always have storylines where the fate of all of Scotland is on the line
You need to have some alternating plot lines - in between the amazing romancing - that are about Scotland/France and within the court itself etc. So I'll go with it. Especially because these pagan plot lines almost always have Bash in the center. Oh, Bash...

4) Is Catherine kind of sort of the best?
I love her! She has the best oneliners! I'm paraphrasing here, but...
"If you want to help your reputation to stop having people call you a whore, make sure that you get in the sack with the future king of France. Feelings, honestly..."
"You realized the time and you knew your house was about to burn down, I understand." (to the girl who came to give her a tip about who hung the stag)

5) Were you anxiously waiting for the letter-writing plot to pay off in this episode? Me too.

No, not really. I had already forgotten about it until you mentioned it just now. Guess I was anxiously waiting for another Mash-kiss. (I love how Bash+Mary can become "mash", as in "they are an epic collision"? Maybe? No? I'm rambling, I know that...)

6) What are these waiting ladies even doing to help Mary? Ever since Lola disrespected her (a.k.a. the pilot) do they not just treat her like the group outcast?
I don't know, the last few episodes they've really bugged me. Especially this episode, they didn't add that much value. And I dislike Kenna for being so naive and dismissive of Mary now that "the king!" is showering her with attention. Oh you fickle little thing, you know nothing Jon Snow Kenna.

7) Olivia and Francis: Can you (can Mary?!) ever forgive him?
NOOOOOO! Is he freakin' kiddin' me? I get how they maybe shouldn't be all out caring for one another - if things go the wrong way, they're both left brokenhearted. But becoming friends might be nice? You don't have to go all out PIMP/A-HOLE on someone to stay out of the way! I seriously hope that, despite Francis explicitly warning them not to - Mary can't help herself but to find comfort in Bash! Francis doesn't deserve Mary. That was seriously a dick-move.
More+
Flag
"Magic Mirror on the wall, who is the dumbest one of all?"
Mh... Upon long consideration, I'd say Kenna.

Everyone else doesn't have the whole picture, but as naive as a girl can be, she should understand that Diane - like all the life-long mistresses - couldn't be overthroned by some girl without any basic diplomatic ability. Henry (like any powerful man) will always enjoy a fling, but the only way to keep him interested is being smart, and Kenna isn't proving up to the task (big shocker)! (I'll admit, though, that I also enjoy the actors' chemistry!)

Francis doens't know Olivia is scheming with his mother (even though he could easily figure that out, weren't he so overpowered by his 16 y.o. hormones), so we can cut him some slack, but he's acting like a 12 y.o.: "You kissed him and didn't tell me!"... Another big shocker, given how much Scotland needs allies and how messy things were being with the stag's head and her possible demise going on.

Catherine is awesome. Sure the woman is evil, but she has her priorities straight and she always (well, almost always - look at all those mistresses!) gets things done. And her acting is terrific.

Poor Mary didn't have much chance to prove herself this week, but she's waaaay smarter and kinder and more empathetic than her fiancé. She totally deserves better.

I'm more and more Team Bash with each episode... Seems like Bash and Mary are the only young characters evolving ( the others either just staying the same or devolving), and I'm curious to see where bloodlust will take him.

I want more Bashion!!! :D (plus, considering how things went down in real history, if I were Mary I'd stick with Bash!)
More+
Flag
... Considering that Bash has psycho eyes it is kinda "in your face" that he is like the guy who gets his hands dirty. So... yes Bash bloodlust will continue!
... Diane is playing the game rigth she knows Henry what he likes and can't care less about new mistress Kenna who loves grand gestures and floors.

... Well I do like the pagans storyline so far but I don't thin it is meant for the long run.

... Catherine is awesome!

... I forgot all about the letter-writing plot! For shame!

... Mary's ladys in waiting just suck they just give each other judgemental looks while looking for a husband.

Palace security is totally awful and mary is like the official fiancé of the next king! she should have ninja guards or something
Flag
Really liked this episode. I want Mary and Catherine to play good cop/bad cop every episode from now on. That scene was bananas- Mary offers mercy, Catherine will F your shit up.

Kenna is stupid- but bless her. The king isn't in love with her- it is just lust. But she is 16 so of course she would fall for that. Diane with all of her cunning will wait it out(how much do you want to bet cottage renovations will last for ever?) and then return to her old position publicly. Henry not only still wants Diane- he respects her and that is the whole game right there.

As to Francis, Mary, and Bash- I totally get Francis point of view here. Kissing Olivia was bad, but Mary kissing his brother was a bigger betrayal. He is absolutely right that all their judgement is clouded by emotion. I loved his point about him lack compassion and being filled with rage at Bash and how dangerous that is for everyone. And Mary does need to be open to what is best for Scotland- and he was right about her not getting the stakes of court life. Because publicly kissing the Dauphin's bastard brother at a Court event is damaging to her reputation, Francis', and both their countries. I support the BREAK decision. I even support him calling out Bash because if Francis does end up marrying Mary he can't worry she will be boning his brother. He would need to be sure his heirs are his- and if Mary and Bash are involved he would have to banish his brother or have him killed to ensure that. That being said, he was DEAD WRONG to go to Olivia. Yes, go exercise your freedom(as should Mary) but not with Olivia who you helped compromised, who you helped ruin her prospects. If you are serious about actually helping her find a match, stop BONING her. That smacked of him wanting to hurt Mary because he could have picked from a dozen other royal skanks.

And Bash, you really did you best to slave the situation you inadvertently caused. Killing the thief was horrible but you were trying to protect your mother. I do strongly think that we as an audience have no idea of what Bash is capable of after witnessing that though. Very interesting. Remember Thomas' taunt to Francis that he wasn't capable of doing whatever it takes because he wasn't brought up a bastard? Totally foreshadowing... I think this is the first time we get a glimpse of that total lack of boundaries in Bash.

Question: Can Mary fire all her ladies in waiting? They are crap at the job.
More+
Flag
But, there is a fundamental flaw in Francis' whole argument - Mary is not free. She never can be. It's just like she said last episode - Francis can do whatever he wants with who ever he wants but she is stuck there with no recourse. If she got involved with someone else and it was found out, no one would give a damn that her and Francis were on a 'break.' She does not have freedom like Francis does.

It was also pretty obvious to me, that Mary hit the nail right on the head in that arguement - this was about him wanting to get together with Olivia, period. It was clear from the episode before that the idea of a no-strings attached mistress was highly appealing to him. From his perspective, why shouldn't he? Mary has to marry him whether he has a mistress or not, so he essentially has nothing to lose.

It's for these reasons that scene made my blood boil because he was saying all these things as if they applied to both of them equally, when really it was only he that would actually benefit from it.
More +
Flag
I see your point, as a woman she is more bound by her position but i do believe he thinks she can entertain other offers of marriage, like she did with Tomas she is just not free to sleep with them unless their engagement is broken. And frankly that is a product of the time more then anything else. It is just in Mary's case, she is bound not only by being a woman and needing to keep her virtue but in the fact that as Queen she needs to be tied to someone of a very high social standard.

Your right he does have less to lose- again a product of the times they live in. And I stand by the fact that he was 100% right in saying his judgement was compromised by his feeling for Mary. He may not be in a position to ever marry her and after realizing the lengths of his feeling for her(to the point he wished his brother dead because of their betrayal) he believes the obvious best course is to back away from her. Both of them are bound to their countries best interest before any other lover. I get him wanting distance. As I said in my earlier comment, I hated he went to Olivia but I totally support the idea of them needing space from each other.
More +
Flag
1. I don't know, that was an interesting turn for this character, who weirdly I feel like we hear a lot about but don't know a lot about. In a spoilerish turn, I believe that Diane is going to try selling Henri on the idea of legitimizing Bash at which point they might say screw history because while I am not familiar with the exact mechanics of that, it would make Bash be the eldest brother who could be in front of Francis for the throne. I would think at that point it nullifies the engagement arrangement and Henri might decide to marry Bash off to Mary instead. Clearly, Catherine will step before that point and might put an end to the whole Olivia thing (after all, Francis' historically doesn't have any children)

2. I think she just wait it out, but I think her pitch about Bash will be the thing she asks of Henri as compensation.

3. Oh its silly, but I suppose the battle between Catholics and Protestants might prove too...I don't know like something that should be on A&E.

4. She is (and humorously, historically, she survives all of them).

5. Yeah, is that lady in waiting really named Peaceblossom?

6. You know, its funny, I've never really thought about what they are supposed to be doing. I have always sort of figured they are supposed to be the ones sorting out the court gossip to get back to her, helping to prepare her for events and technically serving as useful tools for Mary if she wants to enter into some sort of a deal with a wealthy land baron who might own strategically important land but isn't actually noble.

7. I don't even know...I was as confused as Mary seemed to be.
More+
Flag
Damn it! I suddenly thought (due to your comment about Francis not historically having children) that we might 'for-sure' avoid an Olivia-pregnant/baby plotline, however I think they can get away (historical-wise) with Francis spawning little 'bastard' babies....
Flag
Yeah, it is possible, especially since it is unlikely the character of Olivia existed at all (Francis was fourteen when they got married and was actually kind of sickly and died by the time he was sixteen). I thought they might hold off the whose daddy is it story line until Mary's second husband who apparently was a real jerk but with whom she had her son and maybe mess with some royal houses and suggest that Bash could be that babby's daddy. Second husband being kind of moot and all since it seems third husband (I think this is true) may have set up second husband's death and not long after all that was Mary imprisoned and executed.
Flag
I love this show guys. I just love it. It's the best. The very best.
Flag
I can't decide who deserves the "king/queen of dumbs" crown better... Is it Francis (falling in his Olivia's trap [even though being helped by Caterina De Medici clearly makes her scheming not that easily detected]) or Kenna (thinking the king would really leave his life-long mistress for a pretty face with veeery little brain)?

Flag
1. Favorite dress of the episode - Mary's baby blue gown. It was just gorgeous. I want it!

2. I really liked the human sacrifice's plot - more of such craziness please!

3. Keena: "I'm the King's Official Mistress!" - The look of Peaseblossom's face: "What were you smoking, Keena?" - brilliant!

4. I really like Bastian's Mom, Diane de Poitiers - she's clearly still with the King.

5. Francis - how could you go to Olivia at the end of episode?! You're breaking my heart you bastard!

6. Killer maids - you gotta love them! Also there is nothing better then a good burning from time to time.

Reign is one of the best new fall shows (if not the best one). I'm completely in love with it. "Chosen" was yet another fantastic episode.
Flag
Staff
I have to say while I loved the blue dress, Olivia's cream gown with the black lace at the top of the episode was stunning. And then Greer, when she went to visit Kenna in the King's room had this crazy tulle number on. Sometimes I just get lost in these sumptuous, insane costumes.
Flag
I would love Olivia's gown if it was all black lace. I didn't like the cream skirt.

These insane costumes are one of the main reasons I love Reign so much :)

I also liked the dresses of Mary and Keena during the King's greeting.
Flag
7. Totally forgot - I loved Mary and Catherine - Good Cop / Bad Cop routine. Thanks for reminder and review, Lily!

Questions:

Will Diane strike back against Kenna, or just wait for Henry to get sick of her? Will he get sick of her?

- Diane will wait Kenna out.

How much of the oncoming season will center around pagans? Are you feeling this storyline?

- I love it - more of it please!

What are these waiting ladies even doing to help Mary? Ever since Lola disrespected her (a.k.a. the pilot) do they not just treat her like the group outcast?

- I said it before - Mary should fire all her ladies in waiting - they're terrible. They supposed to be her slaves / friends.

Olivia and Francis: Can you (can Mary?!) ever forgive him?

- I DON'T KNOW!!! I'm too angry to even think about it.
Flag
Loved it. I like watching a show where I do not have a ship (I'm sure that will change eventually). I can actually enjoy it. Love all the characters. Mary is my favorite. She is smart and strong. The dresses and headbands are so amazing. Loved Mary's crown. This was a good episode. The girls reaction to Kenna's news...... Haha. Diane seems interesting and I am interested in seeing her relationship with the King. Looking forward to the next one.
Flag
I'm going to die.
This has been the best show by far.
Its better than all the crap on t.v.
This show HAS to survive!!!
Flag
Staff
It got a full season pick up from CW but yes I am also ready to go to the mats for a season 2.
Flag
Speaking as a newbie to this show (I marathoned the first five this past weekend and decided White Collar replays at midnight and usually White Collar is down on my list of shows to watch right away), this wasn't the episode for new people to join in on.

And is it just me? I feel like they are kind of shoving the love triangle (quadrangle) down my throat. I like Bash and everything, but I am not feeling him and Mary and I like Mary and Francis together (I do anticipate though for some nod toward historical facts that they will be married for whatever constitutes a year and a half and then Francis will die, but the show will play into the conspiracies that he was actually murdered). You just wonder if they will actually decide to screw with the Tudor house line though with who actually is the father of Mary's only child (Francis being the only person it wouldn't be).
Flag
Staff
It does seem pretty foolish to ask the audience to root for a love triangle when anyone with access to wikapedia knows she HAS to end up with Francis. That having been said, whether or not she's IN love with Francis by the time they marry I think keeps the tension there. I'm a sucker for well done love triangles, and so far they've sketched this one with light pencil strokes (until this episode when they got out the bic point pen)
I am not so excited about Bash becoming homicidal...that will be very hard to walk him back from.
Flag
I know, I keep hoping (and I thought they might two episodes ago) maybe play up Mary and Francis as an epic love story (no proof that it was or wasn't but they seemed to try and work together) and then have Bash just there in the background being a stand up guy and then have Francis tragically die (and if the show is going well, then he was murdered) and Mary and Bash have to work together for her safety and to find his murderer and then maybe...mess with the royal houses of Tudor as to who Mary's son's father actually is.
Flag
Staff
I hate, hate, hate the love triangle. Mostly because I don't really feel that there's a need for one, or that one even exists. Bash is cool and all, but it's really weak right now.
Flag
I agree 100%. To be completely honest, I don't really like love triangles in general, but this one feels extra unnecessary.
Flag
I know, I would rather Mary just take up the idea of forcing him and Lola together.
Flag
I feel the same way about the love triangle. Like it's there only because some CW exec thought it's a must-have for a "teen show" these days. They've been promoting the love triangle aspect heavily too, maybe to complement TVD or reel in new viewers?
Flag
I know, I had seen so many promos for every episode along the way and then when I was watching them all together last weekend, I swear, past the pilot, I think the next time Bash and Mary interacted was in the Harvest Festival episode when Olivia showed up. I don't think they shared any scenes between those two.
Flag
I agree the triangle is not really needed at this point but I think that the writers feel like more obstacles are needed in the francis/mary engagement. I am willing to role with it for now although I think enough drama exists with external politics and the fact that both Mary and Francis need to put their country first beyond any lover, to keep the story compelling.
Flag
I know I hope they realize in the aecond half that their audience is smart enough not to need that trope.
Flag
Gave up on this drivel 2 episodes ago! The country bumpkin music is annoying and the complete lack of historical accuracy is so annoying! Mary Queen of Scots did NOT have a posh English accent, she would be turning in her grave!!!!
Flag
The basic history is all correct so far. Obviously there are embellishments for television, but the basic history is still in tact - even the Nostradamus stuff. I don't understand people who get caught up on accents and costumes.....and I majored in history!! Everyone speaks in an English accent because....shock....an english accent is much easier for an American audience to understand than a French or especially, Scottish one. It's also much easier to find actors that can do an English accent. So what? It's such nitpicking. Just sit back and enjoy the show.
Flag
That's like missing the forest for the trees. Would it be more to your liking if the French characters spoke in French to preserve authenticity? If you gave up on the 'drivel' two eps ago, why are you still on this forum? Just to prove your self-assumed superiority to those of us who like 'country bumpkin music' and historically inaccurate shows because we can actually distinguish between a dramatised show and a documentary? Let me assure you that it's not necessary to discuss a show that's troubling you so much.
Flag
You have taken my opinion of a tv programme and turned it into something personal? Why would you do this? Why is your repsonse written in such as way? I am on this Forum as I love TV drama. If this programme is not to follow history, why use mary queen of scots as a character, is this a failing of the writers? The programme does have a lovely musical score but every now and then, this dreadful inappropriate vocals come through and is extremley off putting! With regards to the accent, i do think it is important. I am from SCOTLAND and very proud of SCOTLAND! Mary Queen of Scots is an important figure in our past, which reflects our future. How would America feel if a film about George Washington had a russian actor, with a russian accent play afore said George? Do not take my comments as a personal attack on you. I have a right to voice my opinion about a show which i believe can be a lot better and would still be watching if it wasnt for the flaws it has like a lot of other shows on TV.
Flag
"Simply, it isnt about opening your mind, it is more about relaxing your standards."

~

I'm actually sorry that I wasted my time explaining the reasons to appreciate Reign to you. Please, by all means, stick to your exalted standards for network TV shows. And this time, I'm saying that you PERSONALLY have an attitude problem. You really DO believe that we other viewers have 'lower viewing standards' than yours. You don't love TV drama. You like to troll those who do.
Flag
You replied to my opinion and trashed it! You are unable to let another person have an opinion unless it is the same as yours. I dont have an attitude problem. I do love tv Drama and i will continue to do do. Enjoy the show by all means if this is what you like. I personally feel it could be better as it does have a basis of great sets, actors etc....
Flag
I really am tired of this accent complaint on shows. When people speak to each other in the same language they don't hear an accent. When the Portuguese "prince" spoke he had an accent because he was speaking a 2nd language to him. The British accent makes them sound royal that is why they use it in period dramas. Also THIS IS NOT THE HISTORY CHANNEL so please do not complain about historical accuracy.
Flag
I have nothing personal against you. You called the show 'drivel' and other uncomplimentary things without explaining, and so I said you don't have to watch or discuss it. In your second comment, you have EXPLAINED the reasons why you find the show annoying, which makes it a much better comment for other forum people like me to understand, and respect your viewpoint.

Now, first of all, I'm not American, I'm from India. I knew some stuff about Mary, but this show made me read up about her in detail. I'd say that's a very positive thing the show is done, make Mary popular across multiple cultures, worldwide.

Second, the show is dramatised, but not disrespectful. It takes the subject matter seriously, the actors are sincere, and a lot of money and effort has been spent on it by a small channel to give it a lush, royal feel. A lot of us are very, very excited about this show, for all the good reasons.

Third, it's in fact appreciable that the show has simplified - and modernised - certain aspects of the story to make it more interesting to a young, attention-deficient target audience who really don't want a history lecture when watching a TV show. It has kept Mary and her history 'approachable' for everyone by taking some liberties to keep it an easy watch, to make Mary a heroine everyone can relate to and sympathise, to humanise her, and even characters like Catherine de Medici and Francis, as people, beyond their historical portraits, and even their positions of power. Did girls wear sleeveless gowns in medieval Scotland and France? Og course not. But can we accept that in a modern adaptation of the story? Why not?

Fourth, music is a matter of taste. I quite like the guitar playing that you're talking about. It may be country bumpkin or whatever, but it's melodic and engaging, and sort of flows, like water in a brook, which suits the open-air picnic scenes and other moments of lightness. It's not a deal breaker, to be honest.

Finally, as an Indian, I encounter a LOT of 'interpreted' Indian characters on US TV, from Mahatma Gandhi, to Raj on The Big Bang Theory. They all talk in either US or British accents, or this supposed 'Indian' accent (none of us talk in any of the 'Indian' accents you hear on TV), and you know what, it's cool. It's alright, even when it's being caricatured, and definitely okay when it's being used only for communication. It's important that EVERYONE understands what's being said, so popular accents are used. The people on Reign speak in British English to sound a bit more dignified than the drawling US English, that's all. It's not trying to make any other point. Otherwise, like I said, should Francis and Bash speak in French / with French accents? What purpose would that serve, except make them difficult to understand for people across the world?

In conclusion, I'd like to say that you're disliking the show for the wrong reasons. If you dislike the CONTENT, that's one thing. But to take up such a huge problem due to ONE background track or a generic English accent is being nitpicky. If you can spend time discussing it on a forum, why not actually watch the show with an open mind, without being offended by things that aren't INTENDED to offend? This show has made Mary popular, Scotland and France popular, even HISTORY AND POLITICS popular. It has portrayed Mary as a courageous, independent, fair and competent girl who was well ahead of her time, and a great asset to her nation. If I were Scottish, I'd appreciate that very much. I'm not even Scottish and I appreciate that we have a historic female heroine here who's quickly turning in a global role model for young girls.
More +
Flag
Simply, it isnt about opening your mind, it is more about relaxing your standards.
Flag
I do sort of wonder if just to throw it all a twitter, Adelaide Kade should just use her actual either Austrailian or New Zealand accent (but how do we know what kind of accent she would have? She spent the first six years of her life is Scotland, I think, and then the next like twelve in the French Court where in Court they spoke French, but I have no idea what or how they spoke outside of actual Court)
Flag
She should speak like me english with a really strong accent ;)
Flag
I think it would just be funny for the actress to use her real accent and then justify it with, come on, this is a girl who probably had a light Brogue, had been trained in French (though I think it was later in history that French became the language of the courts) was happily (in actuality) in the French Court for her formative years where she probably also learned Italian (Catherine de'Medici), so yeah, Austrailian fits!
Flag
And it is easier to understand than Scottish accent (I'm French... )
Flag
When she was in France she was surrounded by her Scots Royal Party, another historical fact overlooked! No surprises there. You may as well let her talk in her native aussie brogue as it is just as wrong as the english accent!
Flag
This show just keeps getting more and more awesome. It deserves more exposure.

Just when I was really starting to like Francis, in this and the last episode, it showed that he never really changed from the dick he was in episode 1.
Flag
I love how (especially on tumblr and things) everyones going off at Francis........Bash pushed a man off a cliff. I know the way it was filmed didn't make it seem that horrible but, damn guy!
Flag
That's a totally different subject. :) Yes, him pushing a guy off a cliff was terrible (obviously!) but it also seems like its part of this whole "blood lust" plot, which would explain why it seemed out of character.

How many people do you think Francis has (or will) put to death?
Flag
Staff
I laughed out loud when it happened it was like the most dramatic fall ever. And it wasn't even that hard a shove! Bash like, kind of shoved him and he did like 6 cartwheels on the way down! It was nuts.
Flag
Another great episode. Boy do I love Bash, and the development between him and Francis is great, I've got a feeling that the vision that Catherine is worried about May just be that Mary will cause the two brothers to have one final blow. It didn't take Francis long to jump into bed with whatshername not a nice person
Flag
I need Queen Catherine Gifs in my life.
Flag
Great episode, a little bit darker but well done. I like that this show seems different of others "teen drama" because the point of view and the filming is different finally what was expected as a teen-drama during the XVI century is far away from that and way better than expected. Plus the music is amazing and every episode are good no ups and downs! in case you didn't understand this is my favorite new show!
Flag
This episode definitely had a darker feel than last weeks episode with drunk Mary. I kind of picked that Catherine's guard and Mary's servant were pagans, anytime the servants/very side characters are named and get more screen time than usual you know something is up. Plus did you see that pearl headpiece on Mary's servant? That's not something you see everyday even in Reign

I agree that Bash killing the thief was out of character but seeing as he knew who he was and heard the priest talk about his pagan blood he couldn't really be allowed to survive to tell the tale.
Flag
Agh, yeah the pearl headdress was really bothering me! She could've just ran away and retire with that thing!

I wonder if Bash killing the thief is a sign that he's going over to the dark side, so to speak. He's been very pleasant and happy-go-lucky so far, doing favors for his brother and brushing aside Catherine's attitude. Now he's visibly resentful of his status and lack of power.
Flag
Staff
LOL about retiring on the crownlet- you're so right.
Flag
I was thinking Bash did it more for her mother's sake than for his. It was only after the thief called his mother by name did he push him into the ravine.
Flag
I think the most striking thing about it is that he didn't hesitate to shove that guy off his horse. And this after his words to Francis when he killed Tomas out of self-defense.
Flag
Yeah that's a good point about Bash, he did seem very resentful at the end of the episode. It will be interesting to see if he tries to stay away from Mary after Francis' warning and how Diane plans to make sure he's remembered.
Flag
Can I just say, Kenna's an idiot!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members