A Reign Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

Reign S01E14: "Dirty Laundry"

After all these weeks of wondering where Olivia and her bear fur Snuggie disappeared to when she went into a secret passageway, was misdirected by Clarissa, and never came out the other side, now we know: Olivia spent all that time in hell. For two months, she was apparently crawling around a snowy Blood Wood being chewed on by a Wiccan entity, without any kind of hair conditioning, and then she was mistaken for a boar! (Clearly, Clarissa shipped Frary.) Now Olivia is strapped Exorcist-style to Nostradamus’s healing cot after killing a priest with his own crucifix, a priest who was then falsely slut-shamed posthumously by Catherine and Henry! Guys, "Dirty Laundry" was nuts! 

I thoroughly approve of how fast everything moved this episode. After the series milestone that was last week's "The Consummation," I fully expected the plot to take a breather, but "Dirty Laundry" carried some highly anticipated revelations: In quick succession, we learned that Lola was expecting Francis’s baby (thanks to sexpert Kenna). And Mary took one hard look at Lola’s face, did a little mental math, and figured out the paternity of the child without having to be told, which I loved. I loved that we saw Adelaide Kane make an entire mental and emotional turn via facial expressions, and I love that Mary is the rare protagonist who is good-hearted without being naive. 

While the episode did deal with some intensely heavy themes, there was a lively Fronch farce as comic relief: Catherine and Henry covering up the death of the ArchDuchess of Bohemia! OMG, if those delightful redheaded girls in The Parent Trap had seen Reign’s "Dirty Laundry," they would have realized the most effective way to rekindle a married couple’s romance is to drop a body. WHO WANTS TO WRITE THIS SCREENPLAY WITH ME? Call Lindsay, I think she’ll be down for The Parent Trap 2: No Escape

Y’all know I’m a sucker for Catherine any way I can get her, but her MVP moment scouring blood off the floor and throwing shade on Henry while they co-wrote a suicide note was genuinely wonderful. Their relationship is very troubled (a.k.a. Henry got very close to cutting her head off, her lunatic love child has been killing members of their court willy nilly), but they are building a bridge to get over it. Although for sheer awkward humor it was hard to top Catherine gifting Mary with a vast array of lubes. 

Aside from the lighthearted storyline with the king and queen of France joking about a murdered priest’s indiscretions prompting a suicide, this episode actually got into abortion! I appreciated that Reign WENT THERE Degrassi-style, and that Mary was so absolutely nonjudgmental about Lola’s decision to end the pregnancy (“We all get desperate at times... I don’t want her to feel embarrassed or shamed”). But of course, once we saw the Hills Have Eyes torture scissors laid out in the "baby casting-off barn" and heard Lola being offered a strap of leather to chaw on for the pain, the simple fact of the era’s lack of hygiene turned a discussion about a woman’s right to choose into, “Girl get off of that straw pile before you get every kind of infection known to that time and place all up and throughout in your unmentionables.”

Lola being Lola, even after Mary had navigated the Blood Wood to come and offer her help in a time of crisis (after Lola had deceived Mary about carrying her husband’s baby), she got all mad at Mary and insisted she keep this rather huge, problematic secret from Francis, which: Lola, is it really your place to tell Mary how to handle this first giant hurdle in her marriage? Not ethically, but, like being her subject/servant and all? I laughed out loud when Mary was like, “You’re supposed to be my friend, not to mention my lady...“ It’s like, nice try. Yeah, maybe DON'T mention that, actually, because these girls stopped doing their Lady in Waiting duties halfway through the pilot. And frankly they are NOT your friends. You killed your only friend with a rock because you had to, Mary, heavy is the head that wears the side-braid etc. Still the way Kenna reacted when she found out Lola was pregnant (she was like “High five! #TeamRoyalMistresses!”) was so malicious toward Mary that I almost didn’t like her for half a second.

It's simply impossible not to like Kenna. She’s the Samantha! I never even watched a whole episode of Sex in the City, I just rented The Mannequin on VHS from the library a bunch of times (I am 87) and even I can tell that Kenna is the Samantha. That’s why it was supposed to be so hilarious that Kenna was acting the virginal, inexperienced girl to curry the favor of the Archduke of Bohemia—because as we all know she is Queen of the Giddyup Goodtimes and can't make it through a royal banquet without doing her turkey leg party trick for the entire Fronch court's enjoyment. Her "sweet n' innocent" plotline thoroughly chilled me, because it brought to mind the high school fascination with "being a virgin/who is a virgin y’all/who has 'taken' whose virginity tho" which is such a big, hot-in-the-face topic in high school, and I just want to make a small PSA to all you impressionable young teens out there:

Any guy whose interest in you increases or decreases based on you being a virgin is not someone you should be in a relationship with, ever. Guys who compulsively collect V-cards do not see women as fully human, and there is a 100 percent probability they are terrible at sex anyway. 

You know who was the worst at sex in this episode? Henry, for throwing a woman out a window halfway through a torrid lovemaking scene. This was nuts!

And then he almost did it again to Kenna!? What was this psycho move? It deeply upset me.

Finally, the most interesting storyline in "Dirty Laundry" was Bash showing up in Mary’s bedchamber (Francis pearl clutch!) after four months living a feral life out in the woods and openly threatening Francis. After warning Mary that Francis was out to destroy him because Francis is the hardcorest Frary shipper, Bash told Mary to put a light in her window if she ever needed to talk and they would meet at the place where they first kissed. And like, Bash, she has 52 candles a-blazin’ in her 16 windows at all times but that is a really sweet thing to say.

Then later Bash told Mary he wanted to stay to protect her and that he’d hate her if he could but he can't and I said “OH NO AM I SHIPPING BASH AND MARY NOW?! I THINK I AM SHIPPING BASH AND MARY NOW!” but I swear I’m just going to try and fight it so I can stay objective because you really never know with this bunch. One minute Bash is a perfect gentleman, the next minute he’s headbutting someone off a cliff. One minute Francis is impregnating a Lady in Waiting, the next he is sacrificing his throne and country so Mary doesn’t worry so much. They have their pros and cons these two. I do think Mary behaved irreproachably, telling Francis everything as it unfolded and discouraging Bash from feeling anything toward her. Let no one accuse Mary of stringing anyone along, she’s a loyal royal to be sure. But what Mary doesn’t want, Katniss is happy to make a play for.

It’s about time Bash received something other than unrelenting rejection—like the embrace of the MOCKINGJAY?! Although these 17th century Fronch girls mabye need to work some subtlety into their game. What was her pickup line again, “Why don’t you stay for dinner? For the night? For ME!?” DANG girl! You better pray someone from the Capital sends you a water bottle, because you need to control the thirst! 

However, after the Lola revelation and with Zombie Olivia back in the castle, it’s very clear that Mary’s honeymoon is over.

QUESTIONS:

... Should Mary keep Lola's pregnancy a secret from Francis? 

... Is Henry getting slightly murderous toward Kenna, or what was that all about?

... Was Mary contemplating Francis and Lola in the last shot, or was she laying very still so his mom’s Fertility Vapo Rub would settle in?

... Did you LOL about the Royals not knowing what soap was?

... Mannequin or Mannequin 2: On the Move? Explain your answer in the comments.

... Wait, Francis DID order the hit on Bash, right? Or is that revisionist history on my part?

... Do you respect Olivia for surviving at all in the Blood Wood for so long, or is it the sign of a truly basic ho to get demonically possessed?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

194 Comments
Comments (194)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I LOL'd SO freaking hard this whole episode. Like, I was in tears when Henry humped that lady out the window. I 10,000% adored that hysterically dark subplot, Henry and Catharine's snarky banter is just deLIGHTFUL! Also Nostradamus is a Neanderthal.
Flag
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA that was the funniest episode ever
Flag
Henry + Catherine shenanigans all the time please. Laughed so hard. Catherine is so wonderfully happy now she isn't having her life threatened.
Flag
My favourite part of the episode were all the scenes of Catherine and Henry together, I laughed so much! So much time hating each other, I didn't know they could have such great partners-in-crime chemistry! http://corleonesandlannisters.com/
Flag
Also, whatever happened to the story of Greer and the kitchen boy? That was great! More of it, please.
Flag
I Really loved this episode. The plot with Henry and Catherine was amazing and i really want to see more of them. I think Henry might have a bit of the bloodlust in him now.

Kenna, i've been having a dimming respect for her as the series continues. She seems very selfish and doesnt seem to care about her "friend" (mary) at all when she basically encourages Lola's actions. Lola, i respect her only for he fact that she cares about how mary would feel and i also feel sorry for her. However, i hate her for sleeping with Francis. I mean, if one of my friends broke up with a guy, and if i really really REALLY had to be with him (which is completely against all of theunspoken rules amongst friends), id at least ask if she was over him.

And...what if the pills that Catherine was showing mary in the begining forced an abortion? I bet they do and i bet that Lola's going to use them.
Flag
Bahahahahaha out of a window. I'm sorry but the look on his face was priceless......
Flag
Just came here to say I don't watch this show on the regular, but I absolutely read the recaps! Between the "more you know" gif placement and this line: DANG girl! You better pray someone from the Capital sends you a water bottle, because you need to control the thirst! " I need to nominate the reviewer for a pulitzer or least become best friends.
Flag
... Mary should keep Lola's pregnancy a secret I mean if Francis knew, and being his fathers son he would make Lola his mistress.

... I thought Henry was acting weird cause he actually regretted killing the Archduchess.
... Mary was lying still cause she was letting the Fertility lube to work and was wondering what to do with Lola.

... Damn it I missed the soap scene

... Neither? I haven't watched Mannequin is it any good?
... Mmm I don't know it could have been Francis or Catherine or even Henry.
... I laughed so hard when Olivia appeared I was like "Come on! Alive for reals?"

I do like Catherine and Henry together mostly cause they were sooo funny in this episode.
Flag
Wonder if Mary will fake a pregnancy (because she can't get pregnant?) and hide Lola somewhere and then when Lola gives birth they say it's Mary's child...
Flag
Without Catherine, this show would not Reign! ;)
Flag
Mary has to be more understanding as far as Lola is concerned. After all, it could be much worse. And a woman she really doesn't like could be chosen as King's mistress. This way, with dear old Lola, things stay in the family, so to speak.

Besides, she can't blame them because...

Flag
The Ross graphic made me LOL so hard.
Flag
I think Mary has been understanding enough, after all she is keeping the baby a secret from Francis for now. Was kind of hoping Francis wouldn't have a mistress. If (or should I say when) Francis finds out about the baby, I don't think he'll take Lola as his mistress but the baby is another matter.
Flag
I agree, the baby will open a whole new can of worms for "Frary."
Flag
Good point. I was joking, of course. In a modern context, of course, Francis would have to respect Mary and be faithful to her, and only her. But in a time and place where there's an official position of King's Mistress, I think the king is even *expected* to have a mistress, and if he doesn't I imagine perhaps his manhood could even be questioned, even if that would sound ridiculous today.
Flag
King Henry killing the Archduchess of Bohemia the way he did made him look like the Inspector Clouseau of the Renaissance. And Olivia killing the priest by stabbing him with his own crucifix (I hear those things were awfully sharp!) was also a cartoon moment that belongued in a circus comedy act due to its sheer ridiculousness. What were the wrters smoking this time?
Flag
Ugh, Lola. First she tries to make Mary feel guilty for almost being assaulted by her RAPIST fiance, now she's pregnant with Francis' bastard and trying to defend that she's somehow not at fault for that either. Mary just needs to send her home in shame to Scotland for being the worst lady-in -waiting ever. Surely Mary has that authority.
Flag
I very much enjoyed this episode. Firstly, I loved how open and frank Mary and Francis' conversation about killing bash was. He asked her to trust him as he did with her and she didn't fight him on it. iF they are going to truly be halpy he is right they will have to trust one another. Also props to Mary for seemingly not being upset at Francis who for all intents and purposes believed he would not see Mary again after she literally took everything from him, instead she put blame where it needed to be Lola knew she would see Mary again and Lola is supposedly Mary's friend.

ow on to the best part of the show...Catherine and Henry. I loved that he came to he and best line of the ep was ,"don't try to school a professional" I love Catherine. I ship Frary but come back to watch only for her. The dynamic between the queen and king is so fascinating. I couldn't help but wander if Henry was thinking about Catherine when he was with Kenna at the end.
I hope they give us more of the king and queen.
Flag
The whole ep..i kept thinking why henry's bedroom "window" doesnt have railings...why was it even designed that way?

Also..if henry was able to carry the dead woman in his arms when he threw her off for the 2nd time around her bedroom window...why did he need catherine's help in carrying the body?

'Til now..i kept thinking why kenna and lola arent "fired" yet from being ladies in waiting...even greer! They are so independable(is that a word?).

And also..why was francis so furious at bash when it was mary who wanted bash to be the crown prince?

Anyway..loved the catherine-henry plot this ep~ they were so fun to watch!
Flag
And also...wth bash?! A few seconds..you were acting like mary is the only woman for you and no one else, even seemingly wanting to break off her marriage or make mary cheat on francis. The next, you were kissing another girl! (Though i do prefer him with katniss..XD)
Flag
The best part of the entire episode was Catherine and Henry trying to cover up the murder, absolutely hilarious! The two of them working together is magic.
Lola, lola, lola....at first I was like yeah she's going to solve everyone's problems, but then I remembered that abortions in the 1500's weren't exactly a cakewalk and then when I heard the sound of buzzing flies and all the metal torture instruments, I was just like RUNNNNNN! Do you think Mary is going to get desperate because she can't produce an heir, hide lola away and then pretend that she's pregnant? A LOT of effort and I hope they don't do it.
Bash is probably the least interesting storyline at the moment but already I like him more with Katniss than with Mary, she seems so much more like someone Bash should be with. Outdoorsy, hunting skills, plus she's hot and I genuinely like her.
The most intriguing part was Olivia, poor girl has been through hell....and now I feel like she can sense that something is coming. It's very Game of Thrones-ey, everyone is so caught up in internal politics that they aren't ready for what is coming from BEYOND THE WALL, or in this case...the blood wood. Can't wait for more!
More+
Flag
This episode was insane and amazing all at once! Henry suddenly turning into a killer was completely unexpected. I couldn't believe he pushed that poor woman out the window! And yes, I do think he considered doing the same to Kenna. He probably just didn't want to have to come up with another cover-up story. But the antics between Henry and Catherine were priceless!
I thought Bash behaved rather badly in this episode. There is absolutely no indication that Francis ordered a hit on Bash. I think Francis just wanted Bash to leave. Much like Francis left and would have stayed away after losing Mary and (potentially) the throne.
I loved that Mary figured out what happened between Francis and Lola, and she hit the nail on the head with her speech to Lola about not betraying your friends by sleeping with their exes. Perfect! But even still, Mary got Lola out of that abortion hell-hole and I will be interested to see what happens next. I have no idea how Francis will react when he finds out about the baby, as he surely will sooner or later.
Flag
I agree about Bash's behavior. Francis took the high road when everything happened in 1.9 and left on his own but Bash is still hanging around Mary! I do like how Mary handled the situation though.
Flag
They were Francis' men, so it's a logical assumption that they had received their orders from Francis. As you recall, Francis has threatened to kill Bash before (that's one indication), and Bash is probably thinking how their last conversation went. Understandably, they didn't part on the best of terms. So, I feel that Bash behavior is warranted.
Flag
I think it was Catherine who paid the guards to kill Bash behind Francis' back ... makes more sense as I don't think Francis would stoop that low yet
Flag
Despite the whole Lola of the episode (because I honest;y despise her) I liked this episode!!!!
Can Henry and Catherine team up every week on capers?!!!! Pretty please because that was awesome!!!
Flag
I'm quite torn on whether or not she should keep Lola's secret. As someone who is quite happy that Francis and Mary are together, I don't need more drama for them. But then again, secrets always come out and if Francis finds out from someone else and that Mary knew, he's going to be pissed.
I don't think Henry is necessarily murderous toward Kenna, I just mostly think he got the bloodlust now. It sort of reminds me of the episode where Bash had to kill someone and was told that he has the lust for blood now or something like that. Back on topic though. I think Henry liked the thrill of it all, like a new kind of power for him.
IN the last shot I think Mary was thinking of both tbh. Lola is pregnant and she is trying to get pregnant and not to mention the secret she is keeping from him. I think everything was weighing on her in that moment.'
Francis did not order the hit on Bash. It was implied when he spoke with his mom and again when Francis flat out said he did not do it. I'm not sure why this is still a debate. Sure he could be lying, but he was pretty surprised when his mother told him what happened. IMO, neither scene was ambiguous.
More+
Flag
Oh I still have tears from watching this one. That was the nuttiest 40 minutes I have seen in a long time. I don't even know where to start, I think I'm still in shock.
It was ridiculous and I loved it. When Catherine was making up the story to the duke she was 80% Anne Shirley and it was just gold
And Kenna, STAY AWAY FROM THE WINDOW!!!
Flag
Also Olivia would have been gon for almost 4 months b/c in between conncumation & dirty laundry Mary said their wedding @ Notre dome was 2 months ago, & we don't know how long it was inbetween her TWO weddings.
Flag
"royals not knowing what soap was" when did that happen?
Flag
First of all, I loved the Catherine/Henry plot. I couldn't stop laughing. Catherine manipulating him into giving her Diane's chateau. Scrubbing up the blood not knowing what the servants use to clean things up. Catherine being upset that her sheet was ruined. The suicide note writing was priceless, Henry complaining about how Catherine was writing the letter even though as a woman she knows how a woman would think. Then Henry totally sounding like a man and trying to secretly build himself up and Catherine saying, oh you were being serious? Then finding out that the Arch Duchess never learned how to write thus the suicide note was faked. I mean the look on Henry's face was just like oh s**t! Then him wondering "oh my god is Catherine going to rat me out?" only for her to turn around and brilliantly spin that story out of thin air, making the priest "her lover" thus killing three birds with one stone, with him just saying right and agreeing with her because he was just too afraid of accidentally incriminating himself and her "sometimes the guards can be a little overenthusiastic" line was great. Then the Arch Duke just turns around and asks that they agree to just lie and cover it up, ha! These two together is always awesome and I loved how he felt he could go to her to help solve the problem.
I don't necessarily think he was aroused per sea when it came to him nailing Kenna by the window then getting an odd look on his face. I kind of took it like he was thinking about the last time he did this and how it ended badly then I think he dismissed it.
I both liked and was annoyed by Kenna at the same time in this episode. I liked that she managed to call Lola about about being pregnant. Back then they did not use condoms but there were other ways used to stop pregnancy which is why Kenna won't be getting pregnant by the kind anytime soon if he has his way. I also thought the pius act was funny. What I didn't like was her saying that "Oh your position at French court is assured now" to Lola but I also have to keep in mind that she knows that Henry is definitely trying harder to avoid such things while still having sex. I also laughed yet got annoyed with her when she said why couldn't the arch duchess have committed suicide somewhere else and that she had been so close to a proposal. I mean Kenna, a woman is dead (an yes it was not suicide and you don't know that but still).
Poor Lola, I was nervous for you in the almost abortion scene(s), and it was nice for you to worry about how Mary would feel (unlike Kenna who seems to care very little). However, I know that this can also affect your family but this is not all about your feelings about the situation and I think Mary should have at least some say in the matter as it is her now husband who is the father of that kid Lola is carrying. I wonder how Catherine's reaction would be if she found out Lola was pregnant with her grandchild? Would she have some sort of potion to give her to abort the baby? Would she kill Lola and make it seem like she died another way? Would she be kind and just send her off somewhere?
They need more Greer she is not getting enough screen time. Plus, she seems to be out of the loop with things.
Poor Bash, I love him so. Last week I just wanted to give him a hug.
More+
Flag
I was just wondering if it was time to give up on this show and then Henry screwed a girl out the window and he and Catherine had to clean up the mess. These two working together is easily now the best part of the show, please please let them continue to scheme together and maybe next week venture down into the laundry to discover what the servants are dipping the clothing in.

Kenna has done a 180 with me, I used to find her one of the most selfish and annoying characters on the show. Now she's still selfish, but completely entertaining, her "if you don't know what a condom is, you shouldn't be having sex" made me laugh and laugh. Well done Reign/Kenna.

As for the "trinity", I've grown tired of them, the Lola, pregnancy is nice wrinkle I guess, and deep down I still love Bash, but their "choose me, don't trust him" drama has quickly become my least favourite part of the show.

Flag
Lilly- you are the greatest! This review is even better then normal! So so funny.

Things I loved:
1) Catherine and Henry- I love them so much! I thought early on that they were amazing in their mutual hatred and yet deep respect and then we learned they had loved each other once, now I believe Catherine is the only woman who Henry has ever really loved and respected. They are so funny together- and they work so well together. Henry and Catherine for Life! Seriously- her, "Don't Ruin it" was the best line all episode.
2) The Bash/knight at her service, Francis/royal(king) telegraphing the show continues to do.

Things I didn't love:
1) Kenna's ho game- I mean I love her sexual openness but her cheering on Lola getting pregnant was both awful and selfish. Mary has the worst friends ever. I miss Aylee.
2)Mary, Francis, and Bash. First off, I can't believe Mary doubted Francis- the man who protected Bash as Bash was stripping him of both his crown and Mary. He blackmailed his mother to protect them both. This is also the man whose hands shook as he killed Thomas. He is not a murder. Kind of douchy and entitled, for sure but NOT a murder.
Bash- I don't think he believes Francis tried to kill him but I do believe he is using this to try to undermine their marriage. Note how after telling her, his first question was like, "would this change your heart,". Talk about selfish and gross.
Francis- You asshat. I get him not telling Mary about Lola last episode- no time, they were not together when it happened etc.. but after the wedding, it was time to fess up. He does not owe her an apology for sleeping with others after she took his life, endangered his family, and sent him into exile but it is just human decency to tell her he slept with one of her friends now they are married and she sees that friend all the time. Man up!

I already stated my opinion on the attempt on Bash's life- I think it was Henry. I think either Rome came down with a change in succession, or that evidence was found that Bash was a pagan and that could ruin Henry's relationship with Rome.

Mary's look at the end was guilt over her keeping the secret of Lola's pregnancy from Francis. I think the problems in their marriage will not be about Bash(though Mary might turn to him eventually) but because of lack of trust. I think their trust was DESTROYED when Mary ran away. Then it was further eroded with her ruining his life. Now she finds out that he slept with Lola and didn't tell her? Then she believes her could have had Bash attacked? Now Mary is hiding this huge secret from him??? Earlier in the episode Francis said to her, 'without trust we are nothing'. I think that was the most important line of the episode. They have no trust left after all the betrayals, and lies. That is the crack in the foundation of their marriage- not her feelings for Bash.
More+
Flag
Oh, Bash does definitely believe that Francis tried to have him killed! It was Francis' men that escorted him out of the castle and Bash tells Mary that if he finds out that it was Francis, he'll take him out himself. Francis is the one who thinks that Bash is trying to undermine their marriage even after Mary tells Francis that the guards tried to kill Bash.
Flag
yup, as far as bash knows, all signs point to francis.
Flag
Umm Bash is trying to undermine their marriage. Note how he doesn't throw out any other suspects even after the last episode where he thinks to himself it could have also been Catherine. Plenty of people could have had him attacked and yet he blames Francis- his motivation here is not really his own security.

And note how hiss discussion with Mary focuses all around, if this was true would your heart change, would you love me. That to me says his real motivation is trying to get Mary back.

And the threat part at the end to me read that he is pissed at Francis over Mary just like Francis, "he is not safe from me" is all about him being pissed at Bash over Mary.
Flag
Yes, Bash was definitely trying to undermine the marriage. After Mary tells him that she believes Francis, he says something like "of course you do"!
Flag
yeah henry was a suspect of mine as well. your reasoning of him getting the letter from rome is a very good reason indeed.
Flag
I think the reason Francis hasn't told Mary about Lola is because she's her lady, supposed friend and they see each other every day. He's kind of trying to protect the relationship Lola has with Mary, little does he know what just happened.
Flag
this was a great episode. so funny. once again i watch anne of green gables after. this show is going from strength to strength. it just keeps getting funnier but in a smart funny way. question whats happened to gruyere(that is how i spell her name as you she always dressed in yellow like cheese and it sounds the same) kitchen boy? thanks lily for an awesome recap as always
Flag
It's Greer :) and I read on the Reign twitter page that Leith (the kitchen boy) is going to be in next week's episode. We sure haven't seen him lately. Too much other drama going on!
Flag
i know its Greer but shes seems to be in yellow alot. thanks. leith is cute more of him please
Flag
Ha! I thought you were being serious about the spelling. My bad. :)There is supposed to be something coming up about a love triangle between her, Leith , and suitor and if she picks love or helping out her family. So, to me that means lots more episodes of him. Yay!
Flag
i know right! this show is a cut above everything else cw is doing. I love Catherine. you can tell they have a lot of fun on set
Flag
I got really got annoyed with Mary saying my husband this, my husband it was very annoying. Also how did she expect Lola to know she was still in love with Francis? You couldn't tell until he came back to court. Even if Lola did know they expected Bash and Mary to get married so it shouldn't have mattered. She is just jealous that Francis got Lola pregnant after one try but not only did they slept together twice that we seen (three counting this episode), they also most likely have been trying everyday for the two months on their honeymoon, the days they were back at court, and she's still not preggo. I have never hated Mary so much before. I still sorta love her but she was very aggervating this episode and is more conserned about her marriage then her best friend who is deciding if she should get an abortion that could kill her. I even think in the new episode Mary might force her to.
Flag
You don't sleep with your friend's ex. Period. It doesn't matter how the relationship ended or if there are still feelings. And Mary saved Lola from getting the abortion and quite likely dying. Mary has every reason to be upset that one of her best "friends" is pregnant with her husband's baby. I'm pretty sure anyone would be!
Flag
I'm not saying Lola did right either but Mary and Bash looked really in love so she thought it wouldn't of mattered. She probably didn't even think she would see Francis again or that she would get pregnant. I'm just angry that Mary isn't mad at Francis too. Chicks before Pricks.
Flag
Mary said to Lola that she knew that Mary was still in love with Francis. Of course, there isn't time to show us all the conversations so we didn't specifically see it. I have to disagree that Mash looked really in love. You could tell Mary was holding back but she was making an effort. She told her mother that she was starting to fall in love with Bash.
Flag
"Mannequin or Mannequin 2: On the Move? Explain your answer in the comments." - Does your evil sadism know no limits? To make us choose between two equally life-changing masterpieces is just an unimaginable paradox. Have you run out of puppies to skin? Are there no children's cancer wards left you haven't been banned from? When will your evil be sated??
Flag
Staff
I'm the evillest. I even put pictures of sticky buns on facebook. And for the record I think Mannequin 2 wins for trying to pass off a mannequin WITH NYLON HAIR has a medieval statue.
Flag
I think I preferred 2 as well, but likely only because Kristy Swanson was in it. And with Hot Shots!. Highway to Hell, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer all coming out within a year, how could you not fall in love with her?
Flag
I think we should keep in mind that Reign is fiction. By that I mean that the writers only took historical characters and the time period only. Otherwise, all the twists and plots among the characters didn't exist. Bash could be with Mary, Francis could live on to become the King of France, Clarissa could become Prime Minister....anything is possible! Let's just enjoy without the historical framework ;) I enjoyed this episode and I truly believe that they all deserve what they got. I don't think that Henry thought about throwing Kenna out of the window but reliving the scene with the Archduchess. Mary maybe pondering about the inmediate future (like what to do with Lola and Francis). and Bash, well, finally getting some fun.
Flag
I laughed too hard from this episode!

-The look on Henry and Catherine's faces after knowing that duchess can't write.
-Setting the priest up as the duchess' lover.
-Kenna acting so demure.

LOL
Flag
This episode was not that great. Complete let down from the previous one. The original concept of Francis was that he was virginal and somehow he has managed to plow through four women, and impregnate Mary's lady in waiting. OMG. No. Just no. I'm more interested in Mary's claim on the English throne. I think there's a lot of potential and intrigue to be explored there.
Flag
When were you given the concept of Francis being virginal? He had the mistress in the first episode and he told Mary off saying he could bed who he wants. And you know with a father like his, he'd be pushed along the same path.

And I personally thought it was much better than last week's. With the exception of the beginning and the end, last week's episode was messy.
Flag
Because Torrance Coombs said that was their initial plan for Francis. Francis was virginal while Bash was the ladies' man, hence the man references to Bash's flirting in earlier eps.
Flag
I just read that the other day in an interview with Torrance Coombs where he said that Francis was at first supposed to be a virgin or afraid of sex. Like his comment to Francis in the pilot about who he was riding was meant to tease him about it. But then the writers changed theirs minds I guess.
Flag
huh. well then i think they made a good, more believable, change.
Flag
SAIZEN33,
I think Torrance tweeted the link to the article. lol
Flag
Looks like Rileyy and I are reading the same stuff. TC also said that obviously the idea got dropped in the editing and storytelling. Which I find interesting because they are going a different way from history just like they did in the initial episodes. Mary tells Francis that people think he is short and Francis says that half blind painter didn't know he was sitting. I like the change, too.
Flag
Right?! The actor himself looks 15 with a beard.
Flag
I'm sorry, I don't know what happened after Henry literally sexed a woman out of the window. It was like, "Oh, that just happened." And I've been on the floor ever since.
Flag
First things first: Team Bash no matter what!

I've always tried to be fair and give credit where credit was due, but I don't like Francis' new attitude... He's jealous and vindictive. Maybe we all would, in his shoes, but he was kind of mean to Mary, and all she did was asking legitimate questions, given they live at French court and not in Shangrila.
Your true character is revealed in trying times, not in the situations where you get to be the hero (and no doubt he has - on occasion - been Mary's hero)

So. True enough, Bash has his own agenda (he wants Mary back and he would go to great lenghts if she gave him just a teeny tiny hint) but he has never stopped being faithful, straightforward, brave, strong and heartbreakingly loyal to Mary.
That's why he deserves better (though true history won't help him get what he wants, he could get what he needs).

That said, let's skip to the other points (random thoughts as usual)

- Henry. I'm not sure that he is going insane. He has a history of being turned on by weird situations, and he's always been a bit pervy, so I'm not shocked...
Loved his scenes with Catherine, but that's more of a statement on how great her character is. The actress is doing a REMARKABLE job,

- Kenna. Man, the girl is dense at times!!!
I mean, when it comes to sex related secrets she has a radar or something (and therefore makes you think she's smarter that you gave her credit for), but otherwise... After the peck the Archduke gave her how could she think that THAT kiss would be appropriate for the virginal girl she was pretending to be??? She was lucky that that hideously boring half-man left without proposing.

- Lola. I can't get myself to like her, And I usually am a people (characters, in this case) person. I don't know where the writers are going, but I'm not liking it. Her remorse is not convincing (she should have known better) and she makes me regret the Olivia days. She was Chaterine's puppet, but at least she had some personality!

- Speaking of Olivia. When I first saw her I thought: "WHO CARES!", but now, after the crucifix-stabbing (btw, poor man. Slut-shamed after all that), I do care. A lot.

More+
Flag
Plus, he's always willing to be a great ally/friend to Mary and help her out and wants nothing in return. Yay! Team Bash!!
Flag
That's how it started but clearly he wanted more.
Flag
well, he'd love to get something in return... :D
but in the end he's always by Mary's side no matter what!!!
Flag
ACTUALLY no. He wouldn't love for anything "in return." He just wants her to give him her heart, body and soul, freely despite the social structure that forbids them from one another. :wink:
*Good natured correction right here :D I hope you'll understand-I couldn't resist :)
Flag
That's what I meant.
He's not doing it all out of the goodness of his heart, but for love.
Which is not a bad thing per se, he's simply human (otherwise he'd be a saint) and in love with her for herself and not for the country she could bring to him as a dowry.
Flag
First of all - thank you for review, Lily - it was hilarious :)

1. This episode belonged to Henry and Catherine.

When I saw the window in Henry and Bohemia Lady scene I instantly thought: "She will fly all the way down". And I was right. I loved all the antics of Henry and Catherine. Someone should give them some kind of a prize for it.

2. I wish I had a friend who would bring me a gorgeous gown from her honeymoon. Mary's so called friends have no idea how lucky they are.

3. Poor Lola :( I actually felt sorry for her. Mary - I'm surprised you didn't send Lola back to Scotland. Respect girl.

4. Please no more medieval abortions.

5. So I guess Olivia was abused and she's probably carring a child of satan or something?

6. Henry definitely wants to push another lady out of his window. Watch out, Kenna.

I loved "Dirty laundry". I can't wait for next episode.
Flag
I have a lot of bad things to say about this show, but I have to admit that I LMAO when that lady fell off the window... I just couldn't believe it! LOL It is so great when a show can surprise you like that...
Flag
Awww Mary and Bash :) I was pleasantly surprised by how much time they got together this episode! I love watching them! Even if they can't be together until maybe when Francis passes away... Funny Episode. Cool Review! Thanks Lily!
Flag
Also, it seems like Henry is turning mad! Maybe this is their way of getting him off the throne instead of how he died in real life. We all know that Francis became King of France before he died so I'm pretty sure they'll stick with that at least.
Flag
I just noticed last week that it's actually Lola's face being caressed in the opening sequence. I always assumed it was Mary. Maybe this was supposed to be a hint of the things to come like this pregnancy. Not a very original idea but at least Olivia didn't show up pregnant too!

Loved this recap! Catherine & Henry were hilarious! Olivia - OMG!

As I already replied to someone...Francis clearly did not order his guards to kill Bash. He even told his mother that he gave them specific instructions to make sure Bash got on the ship and was safe. Plus, Catherine was wondering if Bash killed the guards in self defense or if they were all attacked. Why would she say that if she ordered Bash killed? Also, if Francis had done it, I'm sure he would have admitted it his mother. I'm thinking that maybe it was that nobleman (can't remember name) who suggested to Bash & Mary that they might want to get rid of Francis' younger brother. He admitted to changing sides as to who is in power.

Flag
Catherine is a master of manipulation, as evidenced by the defenestration sex death cover up in this ep, so I think she would easily be able to lie about this to cover her own back

Flag
Wow, we are really on the same page! I I just recently noticed that it was Lola, too. I had always thought that it was Mary and didn't notice the blue eyes before. Are you thinking Lord Hugo? I'm still leaning towards Mary's mother. She paid off all those other people, she could have easily paid off Francis' guards. I wonder how long it will be until we find out?

I thought it was Francis at first because of the way he said things to his mother and then the way he acted when he talked to Mary. But after re-watching a couple of times, I agree with you that Francis didn't do it. Francis looked genuinely surprised when he learned Bash was not on the ship. So, what does Francis mean when he tells Mary that Bash is not still not safe from me? That he'd punch Bash if he saw him again?
Flag
I noticed Lola's lips in the intro lol. Yes, Lord Hugo - I couldn't think of the name - but originally I thought of Mary's mother too.

I think Francis just meant that they would come to blows again or he would send him off again, not sure but I doubt he meant that he'd kill him.
Flag
I agree, probably a fight. In the March 27th episode they do work together against the threat in the woods (Futon Critic). I wonder how that all comes together.
Flag
Francis won't let go of his anger anytime soon especially now that Bash made an appearance in Mary's bedchamber! lol It also said that Bash saves Francis' life in that episode so hopefully their relationship will start to improve then.
Flag
Was I the only one who had a laughing fit when Henry threw that Bohemian (Bohemia great country name) girl out of the window? Also that Henry & Catherine had no idea how laundry is done!!

Am I the only one who was yelling go slower Mary let that &*^##@ get the abortion? She shouldn't tell Francis and Lola has got to lose that baby (boy I am worse than Catherine) I love this show but the Lola getting pregnant is too soap opera I think.

Lilo you are not 87 I have see Mannequin too, on video. Sorry I am pissed at Mary putting the candle, I do not think Francis tried to kill Bash, too obvious & this show isn't obvious.

- NO Mary shouldn't tell Francis
- I think he got a taste of murder and liked it
- I'd like to think the Vapo Rub, but I think she was comtemplating telling Francis about baby.
- I totally LOLed the soap thing, the whole body thing actually
- Mannequin of course, have no desire to see Mannequin 2
- No respect for Olivia, she was the "demon's" or whatever munchie bag, why should I respect that?

More+
Flag
I didn't laugh, then again I don't like seeing people killed, especially during sex- that's freaking creepy. It's kind of disturbing that you do...

and then Henry's face at the end with Kenna also creeped me out. I really don't like him.
Flag
I really like him, he's incredibly sexy .. but I am in my 30's and the other options are a bit wrong to be attracted to. Even though the actor is over 20, I think Francis still looks about 12!
Flag
I absolutely laughed, half in disbelief and shock at the absurdity of it and half in hilarity. I wouldn't say I like seeing people being killed during sex but it was was a genuine laugh out loud moment. And I think it was supposed to be. That entire storyline was played with more than an edge of humour.
Flag
Exactly Scrabble, that is how I felt, thanks for not thinking I am disturbing like others do...
Flag
I think it's called dark humor. I thought it was more that he didn't do it on purpose, but it was more of an "oops!" I thought it was funny, too, not that she died, but the cover-up shenanigans.
Flag
i didn't either, my jaw just dropped and I made a mental note not to get myself up against the same things.
Flag
Henry and catherine conspiring together to cover up the murder was hilarious, While lola being pregnant was predictable.I dont know why this episode felt different than all the rest as if there was no clear plan now that mary is married to francis.
Flag
This episode would make one fine drinking game. Just drink every time Mary says "MY Husband" ...
Flag
lol So true!
Flag
mannequin 1. I watched that movie like every week (repeated my favorite bits multiple times with each viewing). It still has one of my favorite opening credits (not shown here as i couldn't find it) and montages of all time:
sure I'm not sure if I ever saw 2 but I remember seeing the trailers on tv and clearly if I did, it might be well forgotten but now i feel the need to rent it.
But yeah, I still fantasize about spending overnight in such a department store if i was allowed the same free reign.

Clearly Henry is getting off on sex and death. He is going to cause a slew of lady deaths. Maybe this is how he dies, Catherine kills him off cause clearly he is bad for business. And let that be a lesson- don't get f---ed against a window or anything else that opens up to a nasty drop. Watch your back!

Not a fan of the huntress. Sure a lot of that is my Bash/Mary shipping but still. (And who did win the hunting contest, people will like to know.) And gee was that boar on the spit small for the way they were acting. Yeah I know, thanks to reading Asterix comics in French class, that boars were like the number 1 scary animal in France but that still looked baby size.

As someone else mentioned, and I agreed, I'm pretty sure they would have used the herbal concoction to cause the miscarriage for Lola. Not the solution from Dirty Dancing. And if not that there was the popular sick family relative that needs help for the next few months and thus giving the baby up, or the extremely unfortunate drowning afterbirth method.

hmmmmmmm...totally didn't think she was laying in bed as per pregnacy instructions...I hope not. I think she was just complementing just who she married and that the future is definitely going to be far from ideal.

Olivia- glad to see her return to settle my curiosity. Is she now having visions or does she have like rabies or some STD from Francis? And how does it feel for Mary that now at least two of Francis' mistresses are under her roof?

Wonder if Diane is now gonig to try and buddy up with Lola once she finds out about the first bastard of the next royal line.

And yes, the Catherine/Henry team ups are the best. I'm surprised this scene of Catherine wasn't used above to akin Henry/Catherine to Henry making deals with the devil with all the red, black and fire and talk of deals over dastardly deeds.

While Francis is not my number one suspect of who put the hit on Bash (that would be Mary's mother) he isn't off my list, in fact I can't decide if he is suspect number 2 or 3. And I highly suspect him of putting hits out on Bash in the future.

More+
Flag
Does anyone know what the piano music was in last week's episode when Mary had to decide and told Bash she couldn't marry him? I haven't been able to find it and its bugging me!
Flag
Anna Popplewell is so adorably adorable. Honestly I don't think anybody can really blame Francis.
Flag
Should Mary keep Lola's pregnancy a secret from Francis?
YES!!! A good queen should make use of any situation and make it their own... like what Catherine did...

Is Henry getting slightly murderous toward Kenna, or what was that all about?
Well, it is obvious he gets carried away everytime he has coitus... Just imagine how many women had flown out of the window just because...this cheapskate has needs...

Was Mary contemplating Francis and Lola in the last shot, or was she laying very still so his mom’s Fertility Vapo Rub would settle in?
I think Mary is thinking about Bash... 'At least I have Bash... A real sucker for me, who comes back anytime when i need him... even though i totally used him and his bloodline for my advantage.... I am the luckiest girl in the world'

Did you LOL about the Royals not knowing what soap was?
Well, come on... like Mary said, royals are nothing but backstabbing, cheating, murdering, lying, hunger for power brats... KNowing about soap?? That's beneath them...

Wait, Francis DID order the hit on Bash, right? Or is that revisionist history on my part?
Yes he did, with his mother... He has all the bad genes from his parents... His mother thirst for power, his father midnight activities...

Do you respect Olivia for surviving at all in the Blood Wood for so long, or is it the sign of a truly basic ho to get demonically possessed?
I dun really care much about her. All i know is, Bash is so sweet and brave for coming back to this treacherous place and again for Mary...Thank God Mary is sensing she just married the wrong man...
More+
Flag
I don't necessarily think that Francis set Bash up to be killed, but I do think that if he see's Bash he might attack him. He did say that if he see's Bash he might not be safe from him.
I do think that it could possibly be Catherine just because she does like her poison's and before those guards took out their weapons and Bash attacked one did ask Bash if he wanted some water or something. I thought back to the pilot when Colin asked Mary the same question (only it was wine) and it was spiked. Maybe she was trying the same thing only instead it was meant to kill Bash, not just knock him out.
Flag
Were you paying attention to the conversation between Catherine and Francis? He clearly did not order his guards to kill Bash. He even told his mother that he gave them specific instructions to make sure Bash got on the ship and was safe. Plus, Catherine was wondering if Bash killed the guards in self defense or if they were all attacked. Why would she say that if they ordered Bash killed? There was no one around to overhear.
Flag
well... i haven forgotten the threat he gave Bash... regardless that dialogue is vague... if Bash shows up in French Court he is dead meat... Shipping Bash off to Spain, somebody plans to kill him (still dead meat).. Besides, Francis and Catherine do not give a rat's fart if he is dead or alive... best dead... and Catherine can make use of Bash's body like how she did with the priest.
Flag
Not sure what was vague about it. LOL there is no reasoning with Francis haters! ;)
Flag
u r right it can even be Henry... or other characters we do not know off..
who am i kidding.. is Francis.. haha
Flag
LITTLEBITLIZ, why would Francis lie to his own mother? He clearly seemed surprised that Bash didn't make it on the ship.
Flag
I'm not a Francis hater and I still think it's absolutely possible he was lying to Catherine about putting him on a ship and all that. I don't think he for sure did it - I think there are plenty of other candidates - but I don't get why you think it's impossible he did it just because he said so.
Flag
not haters... that's harsh... just i prefer Bash... cz Francis already had a lot of love in court... Bash deserve some love from the audience... it only seem fair... :P
Flag
This episode was surprisingly hilarious! Did not expect to laugh at so many jokes during a Reign episode. Especially this one since I dreaded the whole Lola’s pregnancy plot. But at least Mary found out immediately. And I really admire the writers for the way they dealt with the sensitive subject. Plus, there were plenty of other plots to keep me interested. Well done, Reign!

• Should Mary keep Lola's pregnancy a secret from Francis?
No. Definitely not. Why would she? Let Francis carry a bit of the shame for what he did by confronting him. Besides, Lola’s argument of Mary’s life not being the same if she tells Francis, is solely based on the assumption that Francis will side with Lola and allow her to stay at court as his mistress. I’m not so sure about that. Mary and Francis could together decide to send her away from court or keep her pregnancy a secret from the outside world. At least I hope they’ll figure out this issue together like a strong married couple. Or maybe that’s all wishful thinking on my part since I’m still hoping the pregnancy thing will go away. (Miscarriage maybe? That’s a terrible thing to hope for. Forget I said anything.)

• Is Henry getting slightly murderous toward Kenna, or what was that all about?
Maybe he just has a thing for windows? Or fresh air? I think he secretly really wishes he could get back together with his wife, so maybe he does want to get rid of Kenna as soon as possible. But I don’t think he will actually murder her. He’ll just try to find her a husband quick and make her leave court.

• Was Mary contemplating Francis and Lola in the last shot, or was she laying very still so his mom’s Fertility Vapo Rub would settle in?
Haha! That conversation with Catherine was brilliant. AWKWARD!
She was probably contemplating your first question about keeping the pregnancy a secret or not. I wonder if Lola being pregnant will result in enormous resentment and self-doubt on Mary’s part; assuming they’ll stick with history and not give Mary and Francis any children… (Although, historically Francis was likely the one not being able to have children.)

• Did you LOL about the Royals not knowing what soap was?
Yes! That whole part of the episode was hilarious! “I don’t know. They take it away and they… They dip it in something.” Bwahaha! Bloody brilliant! I loved every interaction Henry and Catherine had this week. Throughout the season they’ve had this love-hate relationship, but when they scheme together that love part is so obvious. I’m on the Cathry (Henrine?) ship! Can we make that a thing? Who’s with me?

• Mannequin or Mannequin 2: On the Move? Explain your answer in the comments.
Uhm… Mannequin? I’ve never seen Mannequin 2. Is there a Mannequin 2?

• Wait, Francis DID order the hit on Bash, right? Or is that revisionist history on my part?
Well, officially we don’t know who ordered the hit. But I have a theory as I explained last week: It was King Henry. Remember when some server whispered something in King Henry's ear in the middle of the wedding reception and he immediately ran away to fetch Bash (so he could watch the consummation, ugh). That was him hearing that the Pope had legitimized Bash and now that Mary had wed Francis, Bash had to be cleared out of the way or Henry would not have a claim to England.

• Do you respect Olivia for surviving at all in the Blood Wood for so long, or is it the sign of a truly basic ho to get demonically possessed?
I respect everyone on this show who defies death. First Nostradamus with his stab to the neck. Then Clarissa with a blow to the head. And now Olivia in the Blood Woods. Forget about Catherine’s eye-cream secret; I want to know theirs! I like this whole “is it or isn’t it supernatural” element that Reign has going. People really believed in things like that during those times and I like how the writers can bring us along in that mindset.
More+
Flag
I think it was Mary's mom who ordered the hit. Henry is mean and spiteful; as we saw at the end of consummation, but I still think he loves Bash and wouldn't kill him if he didn't have to.
Flag
Love your King Henry trying to kill Bash theory, makes sense
Flag
Degassi shout out!!
Speaking of which was that Clare as the abortion clinic recommender?
Or was that on purpose?
Flag
1. No no no. That wouldn't be our Mary.

2. Creeped me out and made me worry about lovely Kenna.

3. Stop trying to make me laugh. Vapo-Rub!

4. That scene with Follows on the ground scrubbing having no idea what soap was.... Priceless.

5. 'Mannequin' Back when Kim Cattrall was a new beauty on the scene. Ahh the 80's.

6. No it was vague. It seemed to strongly be inferred but it never arose above an inference from the last episode.

7. RESPECT.

Flag
Reign is back y'all, I loved this episode! The last two were not my faves, but this one was cray-cray. I love what they're doing with Bash and the woods woman. Well, Bash in general. I hope Francis starts going psycho, that would be great.

Mannequin 1, obviously. Kim Kattrall, number 2 had Kristy Swanson right?

The only lady even a little on Mary's side is Greer, but only 'cause sidebraids is dead. Mary really has no friends, I mean she can't trust Catherine.

Wow, that subplot was awesome! Loved the cover-up.

Great ep, so good.
Flag
Well, this episode was good. It's funny that I'm more interested in the supporting cast than Mary and Francis who are supposed to be the main characters. Haha! I also thought Anna out-acted Adelaide in the almost-abortion scene. I really felt worse for her than for Mary, but then again I think Mary is a foolish and immature girl and it's like, you knew who you were marrying, helloooooooo! She should have questioned their returning together before if she had any street smarts (which apparently is Kenna's job. I am coming to love Kenna more and more, she's pretty much the smartest cookie on this show other than Catherine).
I love how Francis threw Bash killing a man to save her life in Mary's face. It's like, you wouldn't do that if Mary was threatened and was about to die if you didn't do it? (If I call correctly, Bash went to his Mummy and asked her at least 25 times if there was another way) Really? What are your priorities? Wouldn't it weigh a little heavier on heart if Mary died and you could have prevented it?
Also, why is King Henry not outraged that Mary's mother lied about the Queen dying? I figured there would have been some follow-up on that. On the subject of Henry, I really am not liking this new serial killer storyline for him. Unfortunately he'll most likely die by the end of the first season to keep history going and set it up closer to Francis's death.
Love how Mary took Bash with her to help with Lola, not Francis. Of course who would take the guy who judged you for almost being raped anywhere? But on the other hand who would marry that guy? Hahahhahahhaha? Mary would apparently and call it true fucking love and appreciation. I also love how she didn't deny any of Bash's claims of their feelings, she just kept quiet. It seemed like she had to remind herself that she was "wed" more than she was trying to remind Bash - I think the only clever thing she avoided was telling Bash the actual reason he had to go: Francis's killer side ("He's not safe from me" - he could apparently kill for Mary out of jealousy, but not if her life was in danger lmao)
The whole cover up at the end with Catherine and Henry was hilarious.
Bash is such a loveable character, not going to lie. Love the bitches judging him on Twitter and Facebook for "moving on too quick" - it was like two months and he waited after sitting with his last vision of Mary: getting screwed by her new husband while said husband was giving him the, "look what I got" look and Mary practically shrugged and kept on going. Surely a longer devotion than Francis who we found in a whorehouse screwing more than just her bestie and Bash is still willing to fight for her heart. I think Mary is going to have an emotional breakdown and realize her life is fueled by a damn childhood fantasy. I hope anyway, because Francis and Mary have the lamest love story in television history. I don't even get it. The only thing they have is sexual passion, but that isn't enough to keep a long relationship in the tough times, especially when Mary herself said their love felt fragile in court. Probably because it's built on bullshit. The only TRUE relationship she has with trust and devotion is with Bash, though she hasn't been as kind to him as he has been to her. The ONLY lie he told her was about HIS brothers, but I honestly thought she overstepped on that and didn't take into consideration that they were HIS brothers, not hers, and he had their true interests at heart. (Notice in that episode how the little one ran yelling Bash? Not "Muuuummmmy" or "Maaaaaarrrrryyy"?) And of course they resolved their issuees without having sex with other people. It's called a mature relationship people. I ship that type of shit.
More+
Flag
Interesting point about Francis throwing in Bash's murder of an innocent in Mary's face because A.) Last time I checked, Francis killed Tomas for Mary earlier in the season AND B.) who Bash killed wasn't 100 percent innocent as Bash chose from one of the thieves arrested and in prison.
Flag
Francis brought up the murder as a point to Mary. She is telling Francis about trust between he and Bash and Francis is saying how can he trust Bash when he loves Mary so much, he has even killed for her.
Also, Francis didn't kill Tomas specifically for Mary. He even told Bash NOT to kill Tomas because they needed him to confess to what he had done. Francis killed Tomas out of self defense because Tomas was about to stab Francis, but Francis got to him first.
Also, the person Bash killed for Mary was not the thief, he killed one of the pagans. He did kill the thief though, he killed an innocent man because he didn't want his secret to get out. Yes, he was a thief but he did not deserve his fate.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Liked your post by accident until I carefully read it. Anyway, he was only a thief and maybe not totally innocent but surely didn't deserve death for stealing a friggin' loaf of bread of whatever to feed his kids.
Flag
You guys are silly. You keep talking about the killing of an innocent. So who should Bash have taken to kill? Someone who wasn't in the dungeon? Just a random person, no questions asked? He was available and Bash had to make a choice, so I took the best road he could in that situation. As for the prisoner, he didn't kill him for Mary, he killed him to protect himself and his Mother because at the time he didn't know that Henry knew all about Diane and his Pagan past. He didn't want either of them to risk burning at the stake. It was sad, yes, but he did what he had to do to protect his family. Francis doesn't know who he killed or what - as far as he knew he took the prisoner into the woods for a sacrifice for Mary or she would have been killed and then there would be no Mary to fight over. Jeez Lousie! ;)
Flag
Francis knows that Bash killed an innocent guy before to protect Mary from the Pagans. Francis clearly did not order his guards to kill Bash so he's now thinking that maybe Bash killed them because he wanted to be near Mary and not have to leave for Spain.
Flag
He didn't have to kill anyone at that point! He had already killed the Pagan which took care of it! That's why they were heading back to the Castle when Bash found out the thief knew who he really was and decided to kill him then. Big difference!
Flag
We're talking about two different things. You're judging Bash for killing that man to save him and his Mother's neck from potential gossip that could get them killed. That's fine, Idc what you think about that. We all have different ways of judging situations. (I thought it was sad, but in the end it helped begin the proof that he's willing to do anything for the people he loves.) But I'm talking about the FACT that Francis is judging Bash for killing the "innocent" to PROTECT MARY. (Again I will say: Francis doesn't know about him killing the pagan for the sacrifice and then pushing the innocent off the cliff for the above mentioned reasons.

You say below you didn't read all of my comment, so I don't know why you're commenting, because your argument does not make sense in reference to what I am talking about. :/ lmao
Flag
FYI, in my lower comment I said that it wasn't a pissing contest on who killed who. I was just saying that Francis is quite the hypocrite.
Flag
Francis knew who he killed but now how because he told Mary that he bribed a guard who told him about Bash taking the thief from the dungeon.
Flag
Not even going into who is better for Mary with you because clearly you're a Bash fanatic! lol

I don't blame Francis for throwing it in Mary's face about Bash having to kill that guy in the blood wood. He doesn't even know what really happened but Bash killed an innocent guy looking out only for himself and his mother. Also, the only reason the Pagans had chosen Mary is because they were aware of Bash's feelings for her. So Bash is the one who put Mary in danger in the first place!

You seem to have conveniently forgotten that Francis has killed to protect Mary and others as well. First, it was Tomas and then three (?) of the Italians that took over the Castle. Francis returned to save Mary even though he was outnumbered 10-1. He wasn't pushing some guy over a cliff but actually putting his own life in danger!
Flag
Actually, the only way the Pagans could have realized his feelings for were if they would have caught them kissing, which is something she initiated. Bash didn't go around spouting his love for her. So technically: it was her fault for starting that. As for Francis, indeed he has killed before, but isn't it a bit hypocritical of him to judge Bash for doing so when he himself has done it? Is it a special club? Would he not have been willing to do so in Bash's position? I highly doubt Francis told him about the innocent he killed, because he killed him to save himself and his Mother from possibly burning at the stake (he didn't know at the time that Henry knew about Diane). Given that Francis strikes me as very anti-Pagan based on his attitude when presented with it, and given the fact that Bash has only been open with Mary about his roots, I don't think Francis actually knows why or what, only that Bash killed a man as a sacrifice so that Mary wouldn't be killed. (Bash's sacrifice was the pagan, the protecting himself and his Mother was the cliff man) I'm not going to get into a pissing contest: both have killed for Mary. I'm just pointing out the ridiculousness and unnecessary judgement on Francis's part that sort of was like whaaaat? You're willing to kill your own brother (and he's wished him dead, and threatened it before this) because of something as pitiful as jealousy? It's obvious Bash is a huge threat to him because he has ALWAYS known that Bash and her feel something for each other. They have since the beginning and you can see the looks Francis gives in 1x01 and 1x02. In fact Francis only really caught his interest after he caught Bash and her making an emotional connection while she was dancing (the script actually says that is what happened, it's not my imagination) and I won't get into this, but honestly, it's felt to me that it was almost a competition for him out of jealousy. Bash had everything Francis wanted (he's mentioned it himself) and he didn't want him to get the girl too. I think Francis's feelings grew into more since then, but I don't think he has the personality or maturity to deserve her affections or trust on the level he desires. I also do not think that he cares for Mary nearly as much as she seems to care for him (Bash feels much more and that cannot be denied - it's apparent. He lost everything and saw Mary and Francis having sex and still waited 2 months for her and actually tried to change her mind. Francis gave up, went right into a whorehouse and had sex with her friend - we'll see this behaviour again pop up again I'm sure). But, of course, I think that Mary is immature and caught up in an idea of a love that isn't solid yet. I think we'll be seeing more of that as her fantasies of Francis when faced with real life and ruling together fade and she sees him for the person he is. Will she regret her choice? Probably, but I think she needed to make it in order to learn more about herself and become stronger. Plus they had to follow history at least a little bit. The writers have said that their marriage isn't guaranteed happiness and they're still promoting the triangle (did you see the new photo shoot? Bash and Mary holding hands while he is on the other side of bars and she has her feet on Francis's lap. Symbolism abound: Bash is the forbidden fruit... they'll play that out. And now that they've made a strong emotional connection between the two, they'll probably begin to work on the sexual one. Though I think it will move slowly because Mary is stubborn with her feelings, because she's so worried about being good. )
More +
Flag
Where did you see that new photo?
Flag
I get your argument but the thing is that Francis wasn't judging Bash for killing for Mary. It was the conversation they were having that led him to say that. Mary was mentioning Bash/Francis having trust and Francis is asking her how can he trust Bash when he has killed for Mary, meaning he loves you that much that he is willing to kill for you so how can I trust him around you type of thing. It wasn't an "omg he killed him bad, me good" type of thing.
Flag
lol sorry for basically repeating what I said before! I'm on a rampageeeeeeeeeee of feeeeeelings ;) khkdgjkhkdjghd
Flag
LOL you're way too invested! I didn't read your long original post, just skimmed it, nor this one. I believe in brevity. :)
Flag
I don't think that Henry knew about the fake message. Catherine figured it out, Marie confirmed it, but said keep it to yourself, and then Marie told Mary about it. and since Marie and Catherine both got what they wanted (Francis marrying Mary) there really was no need to tell Henry.

How long is Bash supposed to mope around? I love Mary, but I was really glad to see him move on to someone else this episode, to someone who appreciates him. I agree, he is such a loveable character. Team Bash!! When the brother wanted to kick Olivia out, Bash stuck up for her and took care of her, and even took the risk to sneak back into the castle so Nostradamus could help her. LOVE him!!
Flag
Regarding the fake message about the Queen of England dying, they really should have addressed it. Because Henry is so power hungry, he wanted Mary to make a claim on the throne right away. That's why he wanted her married to one of his sons that very night. But in this episode they return after a two month honeymoon with no mention about it at all. Sometimes, the writers let these little things slip through the crack, like Clarissa stabbing Nostradamus in the neck...

Also, I really liked Bash with Rowan. They have good chemistry together. IMO better than he has with Mary.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members