A Reign Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

Reign S01E08: "Fated"

And THAT is how you do a mid-season finale, folks. So many shows try to manufacture suspense for pre-hiatus episodes by putting one character in sorta peril or delivering up a macguffin, but Reign sent a major character to her death in a halo of blood, set off a dazzling chain of dramatic events like a world-class pyrotechnics display, and burned down its fairy-tale love story before sending its lead running off into the unknown with her heart breaking and a hot new guy by her side. "Fated" blew the roof off the barn and left a trail of fire in its wake. Talk about making the most of an audience’s anticipation! If I could make a single wish right now, I’d want a boxed set of the next six seasons of Reign on DVD (but being a responsible adult, I’d instead ask for World Peace, of course). This mid-season finale paid off every aspect of the Reign pilot’s premise in one fiery episode, letting viewers know this is a show not afraid to move forward. Oh, Reign has stories to tell you, children, come gather round.

The show picked up right where we all wanted it to, with young Mary and Francis blissfully canoodling in bed, tracing their fingers up and down each other’s bodies. Francis even dropped the atomic bomb of post-sex pillow-talk lines, “I hope you’re pregnant”—which, you know, considering this was Mary’s first time, WHAT A GHOULISH NIGHTMARE that would be—but also: Frances, clearly, is no longer afraid of committing to the Queen of Scots. Our princely dreamboat started talking forever with Mary in a way that made Edward Cullen look like a toot-it-and-boot-it manwhore by comparison.   

These adorable touch-monkeys' cuddlin’ sesh was then interrupted by no less a personage than the Holy See,who apparently walked right past the gym sock dangilng from the French castle’s drawbridge—the international sign for ”Banging in Progress”—in his haste to share some very important news: Mary Tudor of England is dying and the Catholic faithful consider Mary, Queen of Scots to be the true heir to the English throne! Yes there is also that Elizabeth Tudor person but she is invisible in the eyes of the Lord as an illegitimate daughter. This was fantastic news for King Henry, but first he had to break some bad news to Kenna: He had given her herpes was not leaving Diane and making Kenna his exclusive mistress, no matter what the tiles on their bedroom floor said. 

His personal drama thus sorted, King Henry was looking forward to using Mary as a way to bring England under the control of France, via Francis marrying her—and since they’d already started practicing for the big “consummating this thang in front of viziers” moment, it was good timing for Francis and Mary. The news was not so great for Diane, because steamrolling Elizabeth’s claim to the throne based on her bastardy (lol yes these were once legal terms) meant Diane’s pet project of making sure Bash became a legitimate French Prince was now basically impossible. Diane, stirring the pot as always, apologized for getting Bash’s hopes up, reminded him to keep them way down and not to mention her legitimization scheme to anyone ever, and then told him he was playing it like a straight-up thirsty bitch when it came to Mary.

Moms, right? Moms who are royal mistresses. They are drama.

Kenna—who had wrapped her head in an afghan that your Great Aunt Frances knitted in order to conceal her herpes—was then stopped in her tracks by an Italian priest who confused her with Diane. Despite the fact that Kenna was visibly completely confused by everything he said, he kind of recapped their entire correspondence to her, revealing Diane’s treasonous plot to get Bash made legitimate. 

Meanwhile Francis continued to make every pair of panties in the contiguous United States and Canada drop by promising Mary that he didn’t care whether she became the Queen of England or not. “I’ll pressure you, and listen to you, and argue with you, and love you until the day I die. Together we’ll decide what is right, as husband and wife. Marry me. Say yes.” Five years from now you’re going to be hearing those lines pop up in a lot of wedding vows, mark my words, because they are basically what Mr. Darcy says when you plan you your wedding with him like I know you do. Look at these two!!

You know, if this were a corny-ass show this is where the episode would have ended, but Reign is not about stretching its plot thin, it had an entire half-season's worth of great ideas to pack into the next forty minutes. After this ideal moment, things slid faster than a fat kid on a crocodile mile coated in Vaseline toward a completely bone-shaking, world-rattling conclusion. This chain of events kicked off with Kenna deciding there was no time like the present to scheme with Catherine about how best to oust Diane so that Kenna could take full possession of Catherine’s husband’s loins. At first Catherine, awesomely, was like “My husband’s junk is like Burger King: your way right away and below my payscale.” But then Kenna spilled the beans about Diane’s plot to legitimize Catherine, and obviously plots and schemes are Catherine’s thing, so this was a clear violation of the Queen-Mistress/Brains-Booty treaty.

Catherine also charmingly confessed to Nostradamus that she completely shipped Frary but she even moreso ships Francis with “Being Alive and Well.” Once again this is perhaps my favorite thing about this series: Catherine’s motivation is not ill-considered or even selfish. It’s completely plausible (for its time) and relatable. But I was not prepared for the awesome writing choice of Catherine appealing to Mary’s better nature and laying all the cards on the table that their marriage could cost Francis his life. I really thought the show as going to do a multiple-season Victoria Grayson/Emily Thorne dance of deception around this issue, but building off the character development last week, Catherine now was certain that Mary would do anything to preserve Francis’s life, and she gave Mary some new pertinent information. YO OTHER SHOWS CURRENTLY ON TV: THIS IS WHAT ORGANIC CONFLICT LOOKS LIKE!!! THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE WHEN LARGER-THAN-LIFE CHOICES ARE PRESENTED BY AN EMOTIONALLY GROUNDED NARRATIVE IN A WAY THAT FEELS NOT JUST NATURAL BUT INEVITABLE!!!! HELLO ONCE UPON A TIME, ARE YOU WATCHING?!?!

Phew, sorry, I just really loved Catherine (and to be fair Nostradamus) giving Mary this kind of agency. And Mary was seriously shook and went directly to the source and earnestly tried to investigate whether there was anything to Nostradamus’s predictions, cutting short her cozy wedding-planning session to do so. Gosh that girl-talkin’ looked fun. Even Clarissa sort of got in on it.

But yeah, she traded this for Nostradamus assuring her one of her best friends would die before the frost melted. Creepy! Meanwhile, Henry was making sweet love to a woman who was completely clear of the Herpes Simplex virus to some highly erotic music. Across America moms watching this with their daughters started giggling wildly and those same daughters cringed and went “Moooom” and the Catherine came in and stopped all the embarrassment in its tracks by throwing more shade than a beach umbrella during a time lapse video of a sunset. 

She told Diane thanks for having nasty sex with my gross husband you have been the dirty gym sock that’s saved me a lot of sleepless nights (BURN) oh yeah also some priest confused the herpes-scarred, exhausted-looking Kenna for a hotter version of you (BURN) and that also my son is officially his daddy’s favorite now(BURN). Then she topped things off with the worst deal imaginable: skedaddle the hell out of court by cover of night and kill a bitch on your way out. Diane could be forgiven for feeling rather miffed at Kenna in the circumstances, however we would learn later she ultimately smashed the poison against the wall in a very Scarlett O’Hara “Fiddle dee-dee I’ll kill who I damn well want to!” gesture.

Knowing Diane had been instructed to poison Kenna with a fragrant liquid, we smash cut to the next scene where Kenna was surrounded by all the braidies who were handing a fragrant cup of very sketch herbs. And then we watched in abject horror as Peaseblossom was chased by CLARISSA—our dear, wonderful Clarissa!!!—down a staircase to her doom!!

So reasons the way this happened was brilliant: I was genuinely confused for a moment if Clarissa or the poison killed Peaseblossom, ultimately it was Clarissa (who used a poison to slow Peaseblossom down) that killed her to fulfill Nostradamus’ prophecy so that Mary would refuse to wed Francis and thus be saved from Catherine’s poison. Once again: twisted criminal logic, but with a basis in something kind of earnest and sad. Clarissa is always trying to protect Mary, and while it was solid writing it is unfortunate that we won't have Jenessa Grant’s glowing presence in the show. She continually had the best side braids and was the least bitchy to Mary, and for that she shall be missed.

It’s also another way to keep Nostradamus’s powers somewhat ambiguous: His prophesy was fulfilled but by mortal means. (Also: Is Clarissa perhaps the illegitimate child of Nostradamus? He did say specifically that she was “nothing” and that she’d killed a “Child of God.” Considering the breakdown we got earlier in the episode about how the Church viewed bastard children, this seemed particularly significant.) However, to Mary Peaseblossom’s death was just jarring proof that Nostradamus could be right about her marriage dooming Francis to an early demise, and she decided to pack up and get the heck out of there. Needless to say her loyal waiting women did not help her in any way, shape, or form.

Determined to protect Francis at any cost, Mary announced that she would not seek the English throne so that King Henry would not pursue the alliance. She then gave a brilliant speech to Francis that was all double talk about protecting her country, but actually she was talking about protecting him and feels were had by all. 

Then she and Bash ran into each other in the stables and realized they were headed the same way: the hell out of there.

And so we came to one of the most dramatic images in the series so far: Francis watching the love of his life running away alongside his illegitimate brother (who he was already super jealous of) and falling to his knees in despair. 

Mary, of course, is basically dying inside, but those of us who are all about Mash were turning cartwheels in our living rooms. I honestly do not know where we’re going to pick up when the season returns in January with “For King and Country.” Obviously the royal house is in disarray, the brothers are torn apart, the lovers are torn apart, and Mary and Bash are barreling into entirely new territory. This felt like a season finale, and that’s seriously the best kind of mid-season finale you can ask for.

QUESTIONS:

... Clarissa: Have your feelings changed toward her? What’s her relation to Nostradamus?

... Are you broken inside about Mary and Francis, or super excited about Mary and Bash?

... Kenna: duplicitous or naive? 

... Mary: pregnant for sheezy? 

... Will Catherine come for Kenna again?

... Best mid-season finale you’ve seen this year?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

167 Comments
Comments (167)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I can’t believe my genital herpes is really cured, oh is by this time last year I start feeling bad about my life, I feel pain everyday of my life am very happy now that am really cured I couldn't have done this on my own. I was searching the internet about this sickness last 3months when I found about great doctor Wadada, the man that kept his words. I wrote Dr Wadada email about my problem, immediately I get a reply from him asking me to fill a form which I immediately did and send back to him after some minutes he reply me that he have work on my cure that I need to provide some materials, which can enable him to work on my cure which I did on the next day of it, after some hours he inform me that he has gotting the things needed for the preparation of the herbal medication that will cure my GENITAL HERPES VIRUS. After he finish preparing the medication, he send it to me and also gave me instructions on how i will be taking the medication. I did exactly as instructed and behold, after 4 Weeks my GENITAL HERPES VIRUS got cured. I cant believe I was negative a big thanks to him, am very happy now with my family. you can also get your self cured too from this sickness by contacting him through his email: wadadaherbalhome@gmail.com
More+
Flag
Um.... did not one single person in they castle notice OLIVIA IS GONE?! I realize Francis is kind of hot and cold but come ON!!
Flag
hello everyone its feel so good coming back to the old me,let me start like this i was diagnosed of hsv 2 and i got married to my husband and i transmitted it to him and i felt so awkward and wanted to kill myself.going the internet a week ago i sure a testimony of someone been cured of his son hsv1 and she recommended the world to go try this out and i did,so i contacted the dr called dr anegbe,it all sounded silly to me until i contacted dr anegbe and he told me i need to come up with the some of 1500USD and it was i and my husband so i gave him 3000USD,at first i thought i was making a mistake until he finished preparing the spell,thats what he calls it 'spell'and it was sent to me through DHL and told me we should apply it just once drink and bath with it and which i did,to my surprise i and my husband were cured and am so happy right now you should also try him out;anegbesolutiontemple@yahoo.com
Flag
hey mod, spam flag!
Flag
Only recently got this episode in Australia, but am I the only one who realised the image of Francis falling to his knees was the same as Nostradamus' vision? Sooo I'm hopeful that the vision has bee fulfilled and Francis didn't actually die and they'll all live happily ever after
Flag
Don't Wiki any of these historical characters if you'd like to retain those happy thoughts.
Flag
I'm crying from laughing so hard. Amazing review, spot on! I'm obsessed with this show. To answer your questions: Clarissa still scares the heck out of me, I'm heartbroken Mary left, Mary is not preggers but maybe Kenna will be. I'd slit my throat if Olivia was preggers though. And this is the best show of all shows every week
Flag
.. i'm so hooked on this show ...
Flag
Oh my goodness I love love love this show!! I tried not to get in too deep with it, knowing it's still in it's first season & not guaranteed a renewal but dammit it I just couldn't help myself. That's it: I'm completely, utterly & hopelessly invested!! I won't be able to rest easy until I hear it's renewed, plz don't make us wait too long CW.

Ok to the episode, you're so right, this is how you do a mid-season finale, soo much happened it was crazy! Crazy good though, I was reeling by the end. Poor Aylee, she was so sweet. Poor Mary, leaving with her heart broken & Francis on his knees calling after her.. :-(

So this is basically what happens to me while watching an episode of Reign: I'll see Francis & Mary together & think they're so fairy-tale-perfectly in love; especially in this episode, they are equals which I like & to top it off Francis was just the sweetest. So I'll totally be on the Frary lovetrain for a lil while. But then all it takes is one look at Bash, one shot of them in the same frame & I'm all flipped around again! And those eyes, ohmigosh those eyes..! They get me every time. There's a connection there too IMO, I need something to happen between them but maybe not right away, I'd like to see it build. I just hope they play it out right cos then it could be awesome.

I hate that I have to wait till Jan 23rd to see what happens next :-( why that long?! *sigh* I suppose I'll have to make do with re-runs till then..

PS: Happy New Year to everyone at tv.com & just wanted say I love your reviews Lily, they're always spot on & never fail to make me laugh (herpes LOL!) Here's to loads more seasons & loads more reviews - long may Reign reign ;-)
More+
Flag
I would ask what happened to Olivia but I guess since Clarissa doesn't mind killing people to protect Mary she probably offed Olivia.
Flag
I've been wondering where Olivia is too. Francis hasn't even asked anyone if they've seen her.
Flag
I'm thinking clarrisa is Catherines child...from her misuse in the convent...
Flag
First of all, LOVE your review! It covers pretty much everything and not to mention I enjoy your humor.

I love the mid-season finale, it's pretty awesome (especially the end scene where Francis basically broke into pieces, DRUH-MA!). I do have one complaint though. The part where Clarissa pushed Aylee down the stairs - why didn't Aylee told them a girl pushed her off the stairs? She had a few last words left it'd be helpful if it were to say she was pushed intentionally by a bag-headed girl!

As for your questions :
1. Why yes! At first I thought she was there to protect Mary and her friends, as well as whoever Mary loves. NOW I know she only cares for Mary and would do anything to protect her, even though it means Mary would mourn for one of her bestfriends. I like her less now tbh. And no idea what her relation with Notradamus is, however I like the fact that SOMEONE knows who she is. It's about time they show a clue of who she is.

2. Hmm like you said on your review, Bash and Francis have been rather equals. I don't think there's a clear favourite, I simply can't decide. Although, I feel like she should end up with Francis because she already loves him, he loves her, and lets face it - it's basically a fairy tale! But I KNOW the show wouldn't let it end that way, it'd be too easy.

3. Kenna : VERY naive. I know it's mean but I would rather prefer her to die over Aylee. But of course, without her there wouldn't be this much drama!

4. You know, I didn't even think about her getting knocked up until you mentioned it. But OMG it is SO possible! More DRUH-MA!

5. I don't know. Maybe. If Kenna continues being so insistent in becoming the 'mistress'. But I feel like Kenna is a waste of the Queen's time, Catherine is just too awesome to be thinking about this petty girl.

6. Well, no.. I mean you can't beat The Walking Dead's mid-season finale. However it's not really fair to compare these two, considering Reign is only in its FIRST season! So THUMBS UP for Reign!!!

More+
Flag
Now listen up powers that be. I don't want Mary and Bash having some sort of fling where she's still really only in love with Francis and just doing this to force herself to get over him EARN your love triangle Reign. It's only gonna work if she actually develops feelings for him.

Please don't turn him into some fool begging for any scraps of human kindness from her. He deserves better. (and not Lola)
Flag
Hmmm I'm probably the only one who likes Kenna? She's awesome. Please dont hit me :)
Flag
Did anybody care about Olivia?, i know she isn't a fan favorite but, what should we assume, is she ok, is now Clarissa's best friend.
Flag
lol herpes. BTW a cold sore is herpes, HSV-1 aka oral herpes, and according to my textbook 50-80% of the US has oral herpes Genital herpes, HSV-2, is the other one.
Flag
Staff
DANG! thank you for the medical expertise!
Flag
First off I ABSOLUTELY love your reviews! This is what an episode review should look like!!
I don't like Diane. Actually that's a lie I just don't care about her, but wish she would just go away. Let's go ahead & behead her!
Clarissa I'm very interested in her. I don't think she's related to Nostrodmus, however no clue how they are connected. Maybe he just knows of her presence & such.
Mary not pregnant...too easy
Catherine can't wait til she's beheaded...yes I have a list...yes Kenna is on it as well. Back to Catherine...I understand she's trying to protect Francis, but just no. She's going about it all wrong.
Greer I understand she's not noble & needs to marry well & blah blah blah, but she spent so much time being so rude to that poor guy & acting like she was above him. She annoyed me so much!
Side braid chick was so sweet too bad Clarissa threw her down the stairs.
I thought after the midseason finale of The Walking Dead that my very soul had been ripped from my chest & that all my feels were gone...I guess I should thank Francis for proving me wrong. Whe he fell to his knees calling out her name & for her to wait...it just did me in. That look in his eyes :( I'm not sure I can get on the Bash/Mary train. Don't get me wrong I have some Bashion...who wouldn't after looking into that man's eyes?? But I can't shake the image of Francis on his knees.
More+
Flag
Staff
Thank you so much, I appreciate that.
I have liked the theory that she's Mary'd doppelganger if only because I'd love to see Adelaide take on a dual role.
I will miss Aylee as well.
They've done a great job making both Bash and Francis seem like dreamboats- and giving them both fairly major drawbacks (like Bash's rage)
Flag
That would be a great theory if we hadn't seen her hair. Although I guess they could a few adjustments. I'm leaning more with her being disfigured maybe something like with Phantom of the Opera. I'm very curious about Clarissa. I also worry about how far she would go to protect Mary. Perhaps instead of taking Aylee out she should've tried for Catherine. Oh well maybe next time.
The flip to Bash's rage is that he's protective. I personally just hope they are careful with this triangle because it could fall apart very quickly. I understand there is a longing there, however she just gave her virtue to Francis & if they just jump in it could all just end up feeling cheap.
I am quite amused that no one has noticed that Olivia has just fallen off the face of the Earth!
Flag
Loved this episode. So much happened!

I hope Diane finds a way back to the castle. I want more interaction between King Henry's harem. But I will always root for Catherine. She is such a badass!

I like Mary and Francis but I don't ship them. So a brief interruption in their fairytale romance works for me. Plus I'm kinda in lust with Bash. Those eyes!

Very intrigued by Clarissa. Who the heck is she??? I would of never guessed that she is connected to Nostradamus, who I adore. Can't wait to see more of these two.
Flag
1. I totally love Clarissa even more now! She's so mysterious and interesting (and I need to see what her face looks like. Seriously. I need to see it.)
2. I would totally love to see Mary and Bash together. Francis is just so blonde, you know? And I've always had a thing for bastards (looking at you Jon Snow).
3. Kenna just annoys me because of her naiveté, but in a good way because you can't root for everyone in a show.
4. I don't even know. Pregnant or not, I honestly don't care because I think the show will be awesome either way.

5. I hope so.
6. Ehhhh... I don't know. I think I'm going to have say that the Originals had a better mid-season finale (I loved it so much) but this was really great too! Can't wait till next year!

Flag
Jon snow for the win!!
Flag
Am I being stupid or does the vision of Francis dying that Nostradamos had look a lot like him falling to the floor when Mary rides off? Mayhaps he won't be dying at all....*Hopes*. Please. Not him. Or Bash. They're too hot to diiieeeee.
On another note, I'm curious about Clarissa now more than ever...hmmm....
Also I hate Kenna. Like. What. The. Hell. She should have taken Ali's place.
Also, also, are Mary and Bash gonna have a thing ;) I look forward to that.
Plus+I'm impressed that Diane didn't want to poison Kenna. Perhaps she would make a better queen than Diane....
Flag
I thought the same thing about Francis falling to his knees. It is interesting that in real life (according to wikipedia), Diane did have power and influence than the Queen.
Flag
I love this show... Great great great episode
Flag
I thought Clarissa kind of sounded like Mary... and my secret hunch is that maybe we haven't seen her face because she looks just like Mary...
Flag

To me Francis' face said 'dead to Bash' (after the heartbreak). He already told him to stay away from Mary, and now he's going away with her. He was clearly warned.

In the end Catherines plan worked to a T even though Diana didn't use the poison and the wrong girl got killed. And yes, from the moment she knew the wrong girl died she went right back to planning which poison she'll use on Kenna. Not that I'd mind, Kenna is an idiot.

For a moment there I was scared for Greer life.

I can't wait to see Bash and Mary have adventures.

- I was ready to say that Clarissa wanted Francis for herself but then she reminded us that Catherine would kill Mary if the wedding held. (Relation: Sacrificial virgin he took pity on and helped escape the blood woods)

- Super excited about Mary and Bash, but worried for Bashes live.

- Kenna is just an idiot who can't think farther then her nose. She would deserve to die. First off: Handle your own dirty work, Mary has been saying for 8 ep that Catherine wasn't to be trusted and what does Kenna do she goes to the queen. Secondly: She's been drinking that thing for days and she knows this one's different and still she lets someone drink it. She should have know her life was in danger after she told the queen about Diane's betrayal, she's an important witness!

- No pregnancy, jumping of that cliff isn't healthy when pregnant. And also even if she did it with Francis if it was found out like this, Catherine can use it to not let Mary marry Francis the next time.

- Maybe not the best final, but a good one.

More+
Flag
Awesome once again. The show never seizes to amaze me. Every week there's so much new drama, this is what I've always wanted, a soapy series where things happen.

Clarissa certainly revealed another side of herself. Personally I thought maybe she was old enough to be a result of that unfortunate night Catherine had when she was still a kid (if she wasn't 8 but a bit older like I suspected). Might be too young, but someone's bastard she is, and I didn't like how mean Nostradamus was to her. Maybe it was just tough love because she actually, you know, killed someone. I hope so or I'll have to start hating him.

I never really cared terribly of any of those 4 girls but I agree that Aylee (whose name was never mentioned before this episode I think) was the one that was nicest to Mary. So RIP. The rest of the girls would have deserved it better. (Not that anyone actually deserves a death for trivial things like this.)

Mary and Bash running off without running off romantically was a very nice turn of events. Now they will get to know each other better and there is a real chance of all kinds of titillating things to happen.

Where is Olivia? In Clarissa's dungeon or tummy? Was it established somewhere? Or did they not just really notice she was gone yet? It has been only a day or two I think, there's just so much going on all the time.
More+
Flag
Even though no one has said anything, they probably figured that Catherine "took care of her." Mary and the others heard Catherine threaten Olivia if she didn't do her part when they were trying to escape. Aylee' s name has been said several times before this.
Flag
I don't mean to be wildly inappropriate but the actors who play Bash and his mother have more sexual tension than I'm comfortable with.
Flag
Staff
THANK YOU.
Flag
I actually have to disagree about the quality of the show.... it's really terrible.... but wait before you start yelling at me, let me finish! Ahh! I'm not a troll! Maybe an imp.... anyway
Hubby was asking me today why I watch this show, and my answer was that I have 40 mins of a pretty bad show but then 5 minutes reading of an awesome review, which means I'm essentially watching the program just to read these reviews. Anyway, I did point out also that of course, even though it's pretty bad I still kinda love it. It's complicated! And then I realised of course, it's the CW. For 10 years I watched Smallville and oh wow that was also terrible. So so bad. Yet still one of my favourite shows. We are re-watching it at the moment, and every 5 minutes throwing something at the tv and yelling at everyone and groaning at the bad writing etc.... something I'm sure I'll be doing with my daughter in a few years time (when she can talk and stuff, she's only 2, I can def imagine the giggling at the sex scenes with her... oh the joys to come.

I'm sure I had a point somewhere at the start.
Right. Show bad but also awesome. Reviews... well Lily you should know by now that I totally lurve them.
But as far as mid season finales go - really it was superb. I freaking love Bash and lust after him like a 16 year old fan girl. I kinda squealed when he came up to her with the horse, and loved them galloping away while Francis sobs in his pirate sleeves. I mean, I like the 2 of them together but we all know he dies a year after they marry right? Sorry, spoilers I know, damn history lessons.
Mind you, I don't remember reading about Mary Queen of Scots having a thing with the bastard son of the king of France either. But it could have happened.... I hope it happens at least once before she marries franny!
More+
Flag
Staff
It is okay to have ambiguous reasons why you are compelled to watch a show. I remember a hot summer weekend a couple years back, I was deeply depressed, and I ended up watching the entire season of Temptation Island 2 in about 12 hours. I both hated it and could not stop watching it but I look back on it as one of the most fulfilling experiences of entertainment in my life. Just like sometimes you crave,crave,crave some random thing like yams because your body needs like folic acid (or whatever the hell is in yams) sometimes a show calls to you and you just need to heed that call & figure out why later. Thank you for the warm fuzzies on the reviews! I'm a lucky recapper to have access to the tv.com reading/watching audience because they are effing hilarious and fun.
Flag
This show has consistently delivered. The writers seem well aware of what kind of a show they're writing for, and the whole cast is stellar. I really think this show could pull from a plethora of history and translate it into several more seasons. Reign may even inadvertently spark an interest in genuine history for younger viewers...maybe?
Flag
This was such a great episode i loved every moment of it. I loved the first scene with Mary and Francis just being happy and adorable. I loved Catherine reaction. I loved that they had the courage to kill someone off, it raises the stake, i kinda predicted that Haylee would die since she didnt have a real storyline yet but it was still sad to see her go so soon i liked her and her sidebraids. Finally, i LOVED Mary running away with Bash and Francis falling to his knees in despair it was just so well acted and heartbreaking
Flag
Great episode. LOVED IT. But now that I've had my Frary heart broken I'm missing me some Greer+Lieth.
Flag
I can only assume that if the show is insisting on sticking to the whole Francis dies young thing that it's going to follow the course of history?? In which case he and Mary will be married and this is just a glitch in the road....
Flag
you should really add spoiler tags, not everyone has knowledge about French/England history, considering Bash does not even exist I don't know what to expect
Flag
I must say, you have outdone yourself on this review.
There was not a moment where I wasn't laughing.
(I'm pretty sure above sentence is not grammatically correct, forgive me)
I think Clarrisa and Nos are just friends.
I'm sad for Francis, excited to see how the sparks with Mary and bash play out.
Kenna = naive
Mary = According to the prophesy, she cant be pregnant...rite?
This was a pretty great mid-season finale
Flag
Staff
Thank you!
I feel the same way about Mary and Bash. After all, everything was going TOO smoothly with Francis and Mary- something heart breaking had to happen.
Flag
Awesomest mid-season finale :) I liked Kenna so far, but this episode she seemed to be a little irritating. She was starting to get on my nerve. She should have had more brains than going straight to Queen Catherine!
Oh Francis and Bash. Torn between these two handsomest men :) They keep getting better and better every episode. Everybody had a role to play in this episode and it was so worth it.
Flag
I TOTALLY PREDICTED THIS!! Seriously. I told Bash to run off into the forest with Mary and not have to worry about anything (except spiders and bathing because ick), and that is exactly what happened. Take that, Nostradamus. Talk about prophecies.

I like the idea that Clarissa is Nostradamus' illegitimate daughter . . . intrigued.

And I'm still laughing at this one:
'If only she had some braids in the back they might have absorbed some of the shock from the fall like a hair helmet and saved her life...'
Wow. Brilliant.

And did anyone else find it hilarious that all Mary packed for her big exit was a tiny little pouch? Girl, are you not taking all of your prom dresses? You can fit, like, some chap-stick in that pouch. Jeez. You pack this for an afternoon out, not forever. I guess she left all her clothes for her friends? That was a nice gesture I guess? Oh Mary.

BASH! I love him more with every episode.

And on a final note, this show is fantastic—people make reasonable decisions to benefit themselves based on evidence collected by crafty means to further an already-intriguing premise. What more could you ask for?!
More+
Flag
I love this show and Lily's reviews I always laugh or chuckle at her photo recaps and comments.
Now to the episode... so much going on! I was totally baffled at Mary's emotions, poor girl first she was in love, then shocked at the kings plans for her, then ultra shock at nostradamus predictions, sad cause her friend died and even sadder at living Francis cause he could live!
- Clarissa is probably the Queens long lost daughter
- I'm broken and excited! yeah weird I know, don't judge me
- Kenna is naive, she doesn't know what she is gotten into.
- Catherine will leave Kenna alone, too much work more important things to deal with.
- This mid season finale was really good but I loved Sleepy Hollow's more (mostly cause I'm freaking infatuated with Ichabod)
Flag
I'm now in the "Clarissa is Catherine's daughter" camp if only because of the hair.
Flag
I'd be for that, except I just don't see how a woman (a Queen no less) could get away with hiding a pregnancy back then. Those dresses can hide a lot, but they can't keep servants quiet. Only way I see it being possible is if Catherine to poison everyone in her employ if they dared breathe a word.
Flag
I agree it would be hard for a Queen to hide such a thing. I tend to think Clarissa is a relative (sister maybe) of Nostradamus.
Flag
I have always been entertained with Reign best mid season finale not even close but it good none the less!! Catherine will be Catherine take that as you want Kenna is naive big time I do not favor MASH tv show yes Mary and Bash noClarissa feelings towards her have changed if I had to guess sister
Flag
Is Clarissa the redheaded chick Francis had in an earlier episode? She said something like "they didn't see me. They never do."
Flag
Because questions demand answers, i'm going to have a go at it...time to rant loll
Clarissa: Have your feelings changed toward her? What’s her relation to Nostradamus? Not gonna lie, I always thought she was shady (prob because she operates in hidden corners and tunnels) so not much has changed concerning my opinion of her. She's still shady and still as loyal as ever, (even though her reasoning may be off -like wayyyy off). It's just unfortunate that her loyalty was at the expense of Aylee, someone perhaps equally as devoted to Mary though not in that form of extremism. Btw, I suspect Clarissa's devotion arises from some childhood bond to Mary, but who knows? Oddly I don't think she's Nostradamus' child. she's prob Queen Catherine's illegitimate child (no idea why i'm leaning this way, just conjecture at this point)
Are you broken inside about Mary and Francis, or super excited about Mary and Bash? I want to see MASH in a more explored fashion, and I think it's alright for them to start bonding until Mary comes back to France. They need ventures together bc reign needs to shed some more light on why they are so close; their past as children has never been mentioned up to date. So I wish there was more substance there that we can see. This "alone time" may strengthen their ties to one another? Furthermore, I want to see this development because on the offchance history is followed, if Francis passes in the future, at least Bash can be by her side through it (really her friends are somewhat wishy washy, but he has unwavering loyalty/love towards her. but why? i want to know why he feels so much for her, ya know?) Still, Mary's speech was full of double entendres so I am heart broken bc I feel for Francis and her, their love at this point in the series is undisputed. Gosh, I am torn. I want more character development for Bash and her, but am still reeling from the heartbreak warfare in Frary land.
Kenna: duplicitous or naive? Naive. Although she desires control, her methods are terrible, she's understandably a "go with the flow" kind of gal, but that means her plans are constructed on a whim, which makes things dangerous for her (not that she'll ever realize that fully lol, bc Kenner is so young, as is her mindset.) Honeychild is playing with fire, and will get burned.

Mary: pregnant for sheezy? No way josé, that storyline seems like a slight cop out to be honest. It would force her hand, and I like Mary being brave and making smart decisions because she uses her mental faculties to weigh her options between her personal life and her political duties.
Will Catherine come for Kenna again? Catherine is a boss, if something benefits her,she'll shoot into gladiator mode. Although, Kenna (imo) doesn't seem to come top on Medicis' priority list. She's more like a nuisance to Catherine for now. Maybe if Kenna gets preggo or does something openly foolish, she'll be on the poison list again. Best mid-season finale you’ve seen this year? Yes, well..I joined a forum and haven't done that since my LOST (obsessed with the numbers) days. That says a lot in itself. I appreciate this show for what it is, I like that they explore the characters motives, even if the characters come out as being morally ambivalent in the end. Well done reign.

*P.S. while watching the show, I was like Lily is gonna have a "Ohh, why you so thirsty" (or something like that)image up...and lo and behold, you didn't disappoint. Keep up the lovely work, I truly enjoy your reviews.
More+
Flag
I know in my head that it's corny as hell but every time Francis starts one of those lovey speeches to Mary, I get all warm inside. Could they be any more perfect? That is rhetorical. They could not.
Flag
God I love this show. It's not often that I am actually inclined towards the 'main' ship, I usually favor the doomed one that never gets a satisfying ending, but Mary and Francis better work it out, because my heart can't take it.

And, I know everyone here seems ready to throw Lola to the wolves, but, having Aylee the one to go fulfilled two of Nostradomus' prophecies, further 'proving' his powers of foresight. And also, two points to Clarissa for being an evil puppet-master. Her story-arc/bagged head must have something to do with Catherine, because Ms. Clarissa really seems to have it in for the Queen...
Flag
Best mid-season finale in awhile. Loved it. Heart-broken for Frary as I love them together. But as I want Reign to last for a long time, I know they can't be together yet UNLESS the CW messes with the timeline more. Given the chemistry of Adelaide & Toby, I'd be totally ok with that!
Anyways, it's gonna be a long wait until January 23rd!
Flag
francis awwww starting it out as sweet and romantic and then being stabbed in the back by your brother and the love of ur life :( , honestly i ship mary and francis more than mary and bash.I mean could frary be more perfect he vowed to treat her as his equal and went down on one knee to propose and then ran after her when he discovered she left. Poor francis :(
Flag
I'm not going to dwell into Lily's questions because her reviews are amazing and I always almost agree with every hilarious sentence she has ever written. You go girl!

BUT I'm conflicted about this whole Mary/Francis vs Mary/Bash classic CW stuff.

Bash is a nice, good-looking, sultry and witty character, but they haven't properly introduced him like a real part of this show aside from being a device to create some angst between Mary and Francis.
That's a shame.

I'm not against a good old love triangle when it's properly done, but man it hasn't. Mary and Bash have had almost zero on-screen time together so far, and it has consisted mainly of light flirting and a drunken - albeit very good - kiss. As viewers it's hard to accept they have a real thing when you don't show us and TELLING US IN CAPS, aka Diana being all "you love this girl so madly, right??" to her son.

And not only did they not develop the Bash/Mary crush at all, but they went to speed with Francis and Mary from cautious royals caught in a political alliance to some engaged teens madly in love. And these scenes have been great, doesn't hurt that Adelaide Kane and Toby Regbo have intense chemistry together. I'm not a "TEAM FRARY 4 EVER <3" kind of person, but Mary clearly loves Francis, her moving away with Bash why not, he's an outcast from the court as well now after all, but the romantic getaway I'm sure the writers have in mind for these two seems forced and illogical. Dudes, you've spent eight episodes buying us on the Francis and Mary couple, and you've shown us almost nothing for Bash and Mary (okay, Bash intense, lovey-dovey green eyes, and seriously, nothing on Mary's part - After the drunken kiss she was even all like "what the fuck did I do? - hello McNulty -)

I understand this is a show built for a certain audience, but no one's an idiot. And once again it's a shame because Torrance Coombs has a great presence but his introduction in the show has been poor. Use him better than this, personally I don't get why Kenna as a character has deserved more scenes than him, the king & new mistress storyline is weak. Don't get me wrong I would've have wanted to root for Bash and Mary, but they gave us nothing. I'm waiting for the next episode in January, maybe it's all going to come together but I'm highly skeptical.

Otherwise, this is a terribly fun and entertaining show. This is nuts on a lot of levels, but so addictive. Number one guilty pleasure at the moment and I guess it will be for awhile.

Oh yeah, one last thing, Queen Catherine is the best character on this show. A true, royal badass.

Also if you want a nice read get into Mary Stuart's amazing biography by Zweig. You won't find Bash in there (duh fictitious being) and Francis dies quickly (gasp!) but her life has been an incredible novel.
More+
Flag
I don't believe that the writers had a romantic getaway in mind. Mary was leaving the castle on her own and Bash wasn't about to let her go on her own with no protection. I do agree with you that Torrance Coombs should have more screen time.
Flag
I love Catherine as well. She is magnificent- scheming, manipulative and yet devoted to her children. She is fascinating.

Although I am totally into the Mary and Francis pairing(I love the complexity of their relationship and the torn loyalties they face as leaders plus their insane chemistry), I am looking forward to the writers building up Bash. What does he want out of life? What does he think about his position? What attracts him to Mary? He is suppose to be this bad ass, brooding, womanizer but so far all we have seen aside from some flirting with Mary is brooding.

This show is a frothy, crazy, piece of entertainment. I totally adore it. And on a real note, I like that the writers are giving us some strong, smart, female characters.
Flag
Anyone else aware of history feel both happy and a little sad with any scenes between Mary and Francis? Like, historically, everything they have going on the show could have been totally true (he may have been sick a lot, but seriously, who wouldn't be) but they seemed to work together (to not terribly successful ends) and she lived almost double her life without him, her life kind of sucks after that. Like, I am being totally morose here and being like that makes me so sad (historically I was for Elizabeth, but Mary never herself seemed like that bad a sort and then to me she seemed scapegoated for threats that weren't even really there).
Flag
Wouldn't she be the bad guy (cunning bitch), according to history
Flag
LOL I laughed so hard with the last photo XD I honestly thought for a moment that right there, when he fell to his knees and was looking heartbroken, that he was actually going to have a heart attack and die right there and Nostradamus's prophecy would be fulfilled somehow, but luckily that didn't happen.
This is one of my favourite shows at the moment, can't wait til January!
Flag
I thought the exact thing that he would die of a broken heart or have a stroke or something, but then again Nostradamus did say that Francis would die young once they were married.
Flag
All over it was an excellent episode (and not only cause my beloved Henri II was back..), but cause Nostradamus is back too (he is is really tall or Catherine de Medicis is really short ???) and Clarissa along with him.

You will think I am heartless but I don't care too much about Aylee dying, after all we knew she'll never make it big and she didn't really had a plot on her own.
If they wan't they can kill Lola too (I don't like her), they must keep the other blond girl cause of her true love bla bla bla....And I have a question regarding this, she must marry to a good "parti" = someone as rich as her family is or noble, but why can't Marie anoblish ?? (not sure of the word for it) her, after all Marie is a queen and this girl is really rich, if Marie gives her a title nothing will come between her and her true love ??
And Kenna cause I need to have someone to hate and it will never be Catherine.
Ok let's face it I don't really like Marie's best friends cause they just suck as friends.

I was happy to get a "glimpse" at Clarissa, I still wonder who she is, what is her connexion to Nostradamus and the castle .....
Great mystery, interesting character and subplot !

Mega Huge LOL at the Vatican's man who thought Kenna was Diane.
Ok Kenna is around 17, Diane is around 40 (60 in reality), of course they can be mistaken....they are twins...for someone who drunk too much altar wine.

Now I know that Marie will be back contrary to François and yes indeed I saw his heart broke but not in 2, I saw a lot of pieces ...I am not really a fan of François but OUCH poor little boy.

... Clarissa: Have your feelings changed toward her? What’s her relation to Nostradamus?
I don't have much feeling for Clarissa except curiosity and it didn't change it goes stronger, Nostradamus knows who she is, but I am not surprised he knows a lot after all.
... Are you broken inside about Mary and Francis, or super excited about Mary and Bash?
I feel sad for Marie & François, Bash is just a pawn for me.
... Kenna: duplicitous or naive?
Stupid is the word that comes to my mind, naïve can be worken, but she is beyond that. Aylee was the naïve, Lola is the duplicitous, Kenna is stupid.

... Mary: pregnant for sheezy?
Nope I don't think she will be
... Will Catherine come for Kenna again?
I hope so, Catherine is my heroine ! (by the way in other shows people always ask who was the MVP.....Catherine is the MVP in a majority of episodes, basically she rules)
... Best mid-season finale you’ve seen this year?
I still have to wait for OUAT but yes indeed, stronger than Sleepy Hollow,
and the originals.
Probably better than what Revenge will do, and a lot better than what all this season of Grey's Anatomy was (minus the 5 last minutes of the mid-season finale)
WAIT do Teen Wolf 's count ??

More+
Flag
Yes, Teen Wolf does count as it is returning in January also.
Flag
Mary ran away with Bash for all the wrong reasons, so it's not that satisfying... And poor Francis... :(
(team Bash all the way, anyway!)
Terrific episode, btw!!!
Flag
One thing I love about the show is the love triangle, and I never thought I would say that. But, I genuinely like both couples and am both heartbroken and excited about what is to come. Only thing that wasn't perfect about this episode was that Aylee died and not Lola, whom I've never liked. I honestly think the only reason Lola is popular with people is because its the actress from the Narnia movies.
Flag
I can't get over how much I love this show. Smart, well written, with compelling characters and just beautiful to watch. I really hope it doesn't get cancelled. Also, awesome review, Lily, as always
Flag
my only disappointment is in Aylee's dying :(
Both because it was the obvious thing to do and because she was easily my favorite of Mary's Ladies. Mainly because she's the only one who's w/o fail been a good friend to Mary, and who brings the least personal drama. If she was still alive when Mary ran I'm sure she'd be the only one going with her.
[and then we could have "Peaseblossom & Bash" become a thing, but I'm getting off topic...(seriously though they could found a we <3 and will do anything for Mary club along with Clarris-oh wait...awkward...)]

It's the only time I can think of when I was sure the obvious thing to do would be to zag and the show DID ZAG! :/
I knew this time would come, there's no way any media can succeed at always surprising you, but I wish my disappointment in the show failing to pleasantly surprise me by not doing the obvious thing, wasn't being compounded by the loss of my favorite supporting character (I'm assuming that Queen of Green Gables [she was the best we've ever seen her in this ep!] and Bash count as stars, not supporting).

All of that said, yes this is easily the best of the mid-season finales! :) (in spite of, not because of, my favorite supporting character being killed)
On to the questions:
-Clarissa has turned in my eyes from being a good but misunderstood person and ally of Mary, to being a villainous but misunderstood person and ally of Mary in her killing of poor Peaseblossom (and oddly both the Queen and Diane have swung a bit back towards being good people this episode in spite of their heinous plans previously) with Aylee dead by Clarissa's hand I think Mary might be the only woman in the show who seems completely "good". It seems even more likely now that Clarissa is Nostradamus's daughter (possibly by Catherine)
-Not excited about Mary and Bash, but only broken up about Mary and Francis because of how amazingly well it's been handled/written (so I'm open to the possibility of good writing making me excited for her and Bash) I usually hate love triangle stuff (and w/o the amazing writing/acting I wouldn't care either way who Mary's with) but this show continues to make it work :)
-Kenna: yes, option c? as in both, to paraphrase Catherine: it's not a good combination, and it'll cause problems for all
-Mary preggers? idk (I think my thoughts on this are similar to what I just said bout love triangle stuff: usually handled terribly in media, but I'm open to this show's writing continuing to impress me whichever way it goes)
-of course Catherine will, just in a different way :)
-absolutely, and still continues to be my favorite show on now (GoT isn't on atm) very much in spite of the issues I've mentioned I took with last episode (I commented late on that review), and with Aylee's death in this one.
More+
Flag
1. I definitely don't think Clarissa is a guardian angel any more like I used to. Will be interesting to see what happens!
2. Broken up about Francis and Mary :( I really enjoyed the two of them the last couple of episodes. And I am not feeling the whole Bash and Mary thing at the moment. We shall see!

3. Kenna is naive and annoying. I think Katherine described her best.
4. Nuh, Mary isn't pregnant. But it was pretty funny when he said that right after canoodling.
5. She probably will but not right away. Katherine really hates stupidity so she wont tolerate it for long in her court.
6. Definitely :)! really hope this show doesn't get cancelled.

Also, your review was really good and I laughed at the 'royally effed' caption.

Flag
Man, this show is the BEST. My heart broke right along Mary and Francis' and I was literally hyperventilating when the episode ended.

Do you think maybe Clarissa is a "hunchback of Notre Dame" kind of creature (like Quasimodo), and that's why she's a 'nothing' and/or an abomination?
Flag
I really thought the show as going to do a multiple-season Victoria Grayson/Emily Thorne dance of deception around this issue, but building off the character development last week, Catherine now was certain that Mary would do anything to preserve Francis’s life, and she gave Mary some new pertinent information. YO OTHER SHOWS CURRENTLY ON TV: THIS IS WHAT ORGANIC CONFLICT LOOKS LIKE!!! THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE WHEN LARGER-THAN-LIFE CHOICES ARE PRESENTED BY AN EMOTIONALLY GROUNDED NARRATIVE IN A WAY THAT FEELS NOT JUST NATURAL BUT INEVITABLE!!!! HELLO ONCE UPON A TIME, ARE YOU WATCHING?!?!

YES, EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reign writers know how to write a compelling story with properly non-petty (except for Kenna, of course, but even now i can't blame her but for being a foolish girl believing in promises of a man who just wants to get into her pants not to mention is in a huge position of power over her) driven characters. Not a bunch of two dimensional crap (maybe even one dimensional at many a point) that keeps changing from season to season that is on par with a 10yr old fanfic writer.
This show gets the plot done and with the most beautiful clothes and settings to boot.
And yes, by far the best mid-season finale I've watched so far this year.
And we have to wait so long! Come on fanfic writers, get to typing! I need to sustain on something.
More+
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members