A Reign Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

Reign S01E09: "For King and Country"

I think many of you may agree with me when I say that this brilliant, fast-paced, and extremely dramatic episode of Reign, “For King and Country,” brought strongly to mind Thomas Wyatt’s poem, “And Wilt Thou Leave Me Thus?":

And wilt thou leave me thus?

Say nay, say nay, for shame,

To save thee from the blame

Of all my grief and grame;

And wilt thou leave me thus?

Say nay, say nay!

Because, come on: Mary, are you really going to leave Frances like thus? Stripping away his title, crown, birthright, MOM, and long lusty life by your side... to protect him/make sweet, sweet love with his brother? Because a prophecy?! Good grief, that would fill any man with grame. 

"For King and Country" opened precisely where the mid-season finale closed, Bash and Mary flying on horseback from the castle pursued by the castle guards, until they had no choice but to fling themselves off a cliff and drift downriver hand-in-hand for roughly a week—an INCREDIBLY bounding experience. Oh yes, it’s no coincidence that every other date on The Bachelor involves helmets, GoPros and bungee cords: adrenaline bonds couples, that’s a scientific fact.

Whereas some shows might have dragged out Bash and Mary being on the run for several episodes, bedding down in hay lofts, sharing stolen loaves of bread, giving each other baths (...doesn’t sound half bad, really), within the next quarter hour they’d be caught, dragged back to Fronce and Mary would be demanding that this entire prophecy foolishness be revealed to Frances, who wanted some closure after their years-long betrothal.

Queen Catherine was adamant that they not tell Frances about Sexy Nostradamus’s very unsexy prophecy that Frances will die shortly after marrying Mary, because Catherine knows her son would try to undermine mystical prophesy with rationality, logic, and facts, three things that have gotten us absolutely nowhere as a society. While it is actually very accurate to the period for royals to be so obsessed with prophesy, Mary kind of struck me as a character on the side of logic/applied science herself, and I was a little sad to see her so easily swayed by a bearded pessimist with a thick accent. I mean, considering how many bodies drop in each episode, the odds of someone in her train of ladies dying had to be at least 50-50. Mary hadn’t even questioned Aylee’s conveniently prophecy-fulfilling death, a point brought up by Mary’s own ladies (who in her absence had really let their dress code slip and were parading around this week like a passel of strumpets—and looking good doing it!).

Despite the sartorial heat, it was a dark day for our waiting ladies: Not only was Mary having to ferret out the truth of their dear friend’s double murder, but now Scotland was officially going to join with Fronce to make a play for the English throne, all of their families were facing war, possibly death, and also Kenna had boy troubles.

Kenna revealed she had known all along that Aylee had been poisoned and hadn’t mentioned it because she was busy. What!?! She’s busy!! I did think it was very telling that none of the Ladies seemed surprised that Kenna had failed to mention such a critical piece of information (like Aylee being poisoned) when she regularly interrupts discussions to update everybody on her sex life like it's Nightly News. Bitch’s mind is made of sex and mirrors! Mine too.

Unfortunately, despite learning that Aylee had been “gifted with some poison,” Mary was still 98.9 percent sure that Nostradamus could see the future and therefore she could not in good conscience marry Frances without feeling like she was murdering him. But King Henry had promised he would kill Bash if she didn’t marry Frances!! Hilariously, she still refused. This must have been an ultimate mindf-ck moment for Frances: In less than two weeks his girlfriend had gone from wanting to spend the rest of her life with him to preferring that their mutual bestie Bash be brutally slain by his own father. Although to be fair, that is kind of just how fast things move in teenaged relationships.

Fortunately now there was simply too much crazy going on for her to conceal her deep New Age beliefs from Frances a moment longer.

Much as Queen Catherine had warned, Frances tried to counter the unalterable truth of Nostradamus’s daydreams with all that “logic” bullshit, and argued that his mother was using fear to manipulate Mary. At this Mary totally stood up for Catherine in a sort of beautiful moment and told him that all his mother’s wicked workings against her had been for his benefit and he had a really great mom who loved him very much. But just when it seemed like these two Queens were headed for the greatest spectacle of onscreen female solidarity since Thelma & Louise tried to olly a mustang over the Grand Canyon, Mary revealed her new plan: to de-throne Catherine for her son’s sake.

Yes, the only way to protect Frances from “mmmmaybe kinda dying?” [—Nostradamus] was to have him and his beloved brothers illegitimized and removed from Fronce’s line of succession.... in addition to annulling Catherine’s marriage of several decades and making Diane the new Queen of Fronce! Bash would then be the legitimized Prince of Fronce and make tons of beautiful babies with Mary. (Sorry, but am I the only one who finds it maddeningly delightful that while the entire court speaks with an English accent, they always correctly pronounce "France" as French-speakers should? For the glory of FRONCE!)

Basically, under Mary’s new plan, Frances will now live an upside-down nightmare life... for his own protection. This is like if you joined Witness Protection and they decided that to protect you from being stabbed by gangsters, they’d get you a new identity where you worked in a knife factory catching knife blades with incredibly greased-up hands as they came at your face out of a pitching machine. It’s like, "You love me that much, huh?"

But perhaps Mary is more attracted to Bash than she realizes. Perhaps this is not an obvious and upsetting case of self-sabotage, but a woman who cannot deny the crystalline eyes and rough ingratitude of an underdog. Things got awfully steamy in their little one-cell inn, with Bash looking and looking at her bare shoulders EVEN AFTER SHE ASKED HIM NOT TO, before those clog-wearing guards pulled the old “Innkeeper!” gag to get Bash to open the door.

Of course, Catherine was not one to take quietly the de-throning and bastardization of her children. So she had Nostradamus take a break from shouting himself hoarse at our dear, poor Clarissa to help her hatch one of her trademark nefarious plans.

Speaking of Clarissa, over the holidays I almost forgot about that whole layer of crazy with Clarissa and the secret tunnels. It’s like another show I love inside of the show I also love! King Henry apparently is as familiar with damp crawlspaces as Clarissa, he handily thwarted Catherine’s dual assassination attempt by rounding up Mary and Bash into a secret oubliette to draw up the terms for their impending nuptials and try his Pinot Noir ’95.

Still, doesn’t it seem even WORSE for Frances that he knows Mary is doing all of this because of a prophecy? And yet he still managed to turn on his one friend in this world, his mama, when she was at her most vulnerable. Kids. But thank God they didn’t let Catherine leave the castle. I really got worried for a moment, but no, our stash of Vitamin Follows will not be cut off. Instead we got a grand, dramatic goodbye FAKE OUT, with Catherine sweeping tragically through a galley in a fur cape to deliver one of her cutting speeches, and then King Henry came along and was like “PSYCH you are everybody’s favorite character, where do you think you’re going? We need to lock you in a room in some picturesque shift so you can speechify furiously to rats and mmmaybe Hecate and then cook up your grandest scheme ever!! To regain your true place as Queen of Fronce!! It’s going to be great!!!!"

Unfortunately, we lost perhaps everyone’s second favorite character, Sexy Nostradamus. Shivved by a ragamuffin! 

Funny he didn’t see that coming! (It had to be said.) Perhaps his untimely and unpredicted end will rattle Mary’s resolve to run her life according to auguries? But for now our lady has inverted not just the show’s premise but that of History Herself: Instead of Mary being engaged to Frances as a way to protect her country from England, Mary is about to wage war on England at the side of the passionate royal (and fictitious) bastard Bash! (...doesn’t sound half bad.) 

QUESTIONS:

... Could—nay should—Frances forgive Mary for unseating him as King and forcing his brother to marry her, basically?

... Should Frances actually not be that mad at Bash considering he is really only guilty of cliff-diving in this episode, and extreme sports should be celebrated?

... Would you be more or less angry if your significant other broke up with you because a fortune teller said they should?

... What is your favorite Thomas Wyatt poem?

... Did any of your history major friends pull out a pistol and shoot the TV screen when King Henry said he would apply to the Pope to legitimize Bash?

... What is the deal with Clarissa and IS IT AT ALL POSSIBLE Adelaide Kane is playing a dual role as Clarissa via use of prosthetic teeth?

... Is Sexy Nostradamus dead or will he grind up a poultice just in time to heal himself?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

144 Comments
Comments (144)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
A GREAT SPELL CASTER( DR EMUA)THAT HELP BRING MY EX BOY FRIEND NOW MY HUSBAND BACK TO ME. My name is Terry jenny i want to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost. I broke up with my ex boyfriend with just little misunderstanding hoping we will get back shortly,but things was growing worse until i contacted Dr Emua who help me with his powers to bring him back, i have never believed in a spell caster until i come across Dr Emua, Who brought him back within three days, we are now happily married, Well it will be of great sin if i should go out from here without dropping the contact of this great spell caster,in case you need the help of this great spell caster you can contact him through his email address:dremuahelphome@outlook.com or dremuahelphome@gmail.com you can also call him on his mobile number +2347063628174, once you contact him all your problems will be over, once again i say very big thanks to you sir for helping me to recover my ex boyfriend now my husband back to me, and please sir keep your good work cause people may need your help.

:= love marriage
:= Business problem
:= Problem in husband wife
:= Foreign traveling
:= Problem in study
:= Problem as childless
:= Physical problem
:= Problem in family relations
:= problem in your love
:= Willful marriage
:= Promotions our wised love back
Get all solutions in your life within 36 hours and with 99% guaranteed.
More+
Flag
Am I the only one that thinks Nostradamus is freakin cave man? I mean, seriously, did you see him next to Frances last episode? he was literally about 3 feet taller. And nex beards are #notsexynothankyou
Flag
We've only just got this episode in Australia, but surely if Nostradamus does die Mary and Catherine can tell Henry about the vision and reason they're doing all this crazy stuff because Nostradamus' life isn't in danger of execution? I dunno I'm guessing he doesn't die though because i've seen rumours of him and Olivia which is creepy at best
Flag
How is Nostradamus sexy?!
Flag
You would have thought Katherine would have been satisfied to have Bash and Mary gone. Even though Bash and Mary at this point have a platonic relationship, it would have been easier for Katherine to just ruin Mary's reputation and make her unsuitable to marry Francis, rather than pursue Bash and Mary and try to have them killed.
Flag
Bad scene, episode. Had to watch 3x to make sure it was true. Mary-what the hell!
Flag
OMG! ROFLMAO! I LOVE YOU! Exactly what I was thinking but with 95% more humor. :D Love it to the moon and back. (I actually hate that saying...just saying.)
Flag
Oh my God, your Beyonce reference just hit close to home. Thank you.

Such a good episode, I didn't even know how much I missed this show.
They really are skimping on Mary/Bash material, they cut out so much. I'm hoping for some flashbacks. But I see what they're doing. Bash will immediately become undesirable because of the betrothal- evil television chemistry rules. Oh well, what ever happens will be wildly entertaining.

Oh Kenna, no one cares about your problems.

Anne of Green Gables is another treasure.
Flag
Nostradamus dead? Please show don't kill him! I love his accent and how he stares at the camera... ok he is not so relevant apart from weird prophecies and kindapping women/ghosts/?
My historian friend hasn't watched this show for the inaccurate clothing so yeah I think she would've shoted her TV a long time ago.
If my bf had broken up with me because a fortune teller said so I would've like "Joking right?... Really? is not a joke. Ok then sure let's break up I can't be with someone who actually believes in fortune tellers and doesn't trust in my amazing survival skills"
Poor Bash the guy just wanted to drift on a river and ended up making his dads wife mad, his brother really mad and the woman he likes pity him.
Frances should just apply to be Mary's mistress.
And waaaaaiiiit How come the show hasn't brought the cliche scene of "am I pregnant"?
Flag

The name of this episode should be BETRAYAL. Mary, Sebastian and Lola. (Previews are meant to deceive, I know) The only thing that might make me watch this episode is if Catherine comes within a cat's ass hair of being beheaded. My dearest Reign, as quickly as it sucked me in, it turned me off (like Hart of Dixie). I'll stick to Lily's review for the foreseeable future.

Gotta say I love this Reign community. Happy I found it. Reviews are excellent and the discussion is great. Everyone is passionate about the couple they want but not disrespectful with their opinions. More debate and no kindergarten mentality.
Flag
We all know eventually Mary and Francis will end up together, but if Bash ends up with Lola, I will friggin riot!!

At least around my apartment and maybe in the lobby.
Flag
HAHAHAAAA!!! I kinda wanted Lola and Bash to be together. Maybe they'll bring in some more people for Bash and Lola to get with and they'll end up good friends. I just don't want Francis to get with Lola. It'll break my heart and cement my thought that Mary's friends are totally untrustworthy. #wemissyouayelee
Flag
Well I've watched the next episode and no spoilers but not everything in this clip is in this ep.

I hate it when they tease us like this. :(
Flag
This is episode 11. After this weeks episode.
Flag
I saw this preview and thought it weird that it's Lola/Francis now. I mean yeah, she's the only unattached lady-in-waiting now (I guess that's why they had to kill poor Aylee, Mary's only loyal girlfriend) but Lola and Francis have spoken like ten words to each other before. Unless of course he's doing this on purpose to hurt Mary,

Flag
Really funny review and great episode! I missed it a lot apparently.

As for your questions...
Frances will probably forgive her eventually but I doubt he will give everything up that easily. He probably has a whole scheme up his sleeve... he is his mother's son after all. As for forgiving Bash... I doubt he will ever fully 'trust' him again. I see their relationship as being very cool after this, even if they do end up on the same side.
I would be very pissed if my significant other even went to a fortune teller in the first place XD.
I don't think Nostradamus is dead yet :).
Flag
Fronce. You had me at Fronce! I belly laughed through this review because of it. Thank you for noticing it too-- love it. Your musings are very amusing so in dedication to Lily Sparks, I'll say ( and be lying) my fav Thomas Wyatt poem is "The Lively Sparks that issue from those eyes". See what I did there?
Flag

I still think it's funny that Mary and Bash left the castle together, then Adelaide K. and Torrance C. were the only ones from Reign at the People's Choice Awards which aired before episode 9 was on.

Flag
I must say I love your reviews so much... I end up laughing about things I didn't realize when watching the episodes :)
Flag
Love this show, but I actually thought this episode had too much going on. My head is still spinning from it all!
Flag
Man I love this show. I mean I was wrapped up in the Mary/Francis love story for a while but damn Bash's eyes get me every time. I melt every time I see them. And the way he looked at her in that last scene when he was saying they had to get married, so adorable!
Flag
Yeah Bash's eyes are gorgeous. Loved the way he looked at her and said we are to marry so unexpected. *Sigh*

Just love this show. So much fun.
Flag
First of all great episode, great job show, you absolutely surprised me. That said, Mary you think stripping Francis of his title, his brothers & mother too is better than death? How? It was like she was searching for the worst possible thing to do to him. But how I loved that Catherine almost had an aneurysm when she heard of option #3.

Great that the episode continued from where the mid-season finale left off.
How did Mary not just melt when Francis said the "we woke at sunrise in eachother's arms & I promised to stand by you" line, I did!!

Kenna should absolutely be flogged!! Not saying about what she believes really happened to Ayglee. The whole of Frah-ahnce will be in upheaval with option #3 & she complains about being the mistress again (which she already is anyways) That is where Mary should of seriously doubted Nostradamus's prophecy. What irritates me is that nobody asks him exactly what he sees. How is Francis gonna die, sexy Nostradamus, just tell us EXACTLY.

I was literally clapping with Francis's reaction to hearing about Mary's reason being the prophecy. When he said you're throwing everything away for superstition I had goosebumps. I also liked his reaction later on in the throne room where everybody was going crazy & he was like okay do your worst.

And finally Henry gets the better of Catherine, first with the plotting in the wine cellar & then not letting her leave the castle. "Whore-monger" line of the episode

- I really want Francis to forgive Mary but I do not think I would
- He can't be mad at Bash for Mary's idea, but he can be mad for him going along with it.
- Now Clarissa I thought she would just knock sexy Nostradamus out, & I am loving the theories of her being twin-sister to Francis. Now wouldn't that be the bombshell of all bombshells.
- Poultice for sexy Nostradamus

More+
Flag
I'm pretty sure Sexy Nostradamus isn't dead because he was in the promo again (in chains).
Flag
And also, I have to say that this is the way reviews should be. Written with love and humour, not just constant criticism and ignorance that seems to be the rest of the writers here. Sorry, its not nice to say but I've been getting frustrated with how nearly every review on this site have been complainers who didn't understand an episode (seriously, they even said it was too complicated, when I thought that was part of its beauty) or didn't have anything nice to say. Just enjoy it! . Anyway. Thanks as always Lily
Flag
giraffe you are preaching to the choir. I am always complaining about the bad natured criticisms (you cannot call them reviews) on this site except for Lily. It should be about having fun not who can throw the worse veiled insults & poison at the shows. Other reviews I use to see what the fans are saying, their educated theories on what is gonna happen etc. Here I absolutely ship the review & the fans of course
Flag
Bash when he said at the end that she's going to be his wife! I may have died a little! La petite mort if you know what I mean..... le wink wink nudge nudge

I kind of forgot about the show while it was on a break, until I heard it was back this week, then I was telling a friend about it... then I got really excited about its return, and oh my, it did not disappoint.
Flag
All I'm wondering is wheres that blond mistrass of Frances? did Clarissa kill her, cuz no one seems to notice that she just disappeared.
Flag
If I'm not mistaken they talked about this, sayin she has fleed to paris, to escape the rage of king Henry when he'll found out about the legitimation thing..
Flag
You're thinking about Diane (King Henry's mistress/Bash's mother), she asked about Frances mistress (who Clarissa locked in the tunnels or something, i think? Don't remember what happened after she left her post at the door)
Flag
Gah, meant to write Francis :P And his mistress name was Olivia if I'm not mistaken.
Flag
sorry, my mistake! And I don't remember either what happened to her after that, I assumed she escaped from the castle.
Flag
I read somewhere that she's supposed to be coming back sometime. ???
Flag
Staff
I feel like she's their ace up the sleeve. I cannot wait until she knocks through a panel in a ballroom nibbling on a rat head in a dress made out of potato sacks. Also there is pregnancy potential with her so, double whammy.
Flag
"I cannot wait until she knocks through a panel in a ballroom nibbling on a rat head in a dress made out of potato sacks." *dead* too funny
Flag
First of all I'm so glad Reign is back on our screens! Going into this episode I imagined Mary and Bash getting caught and by the end of the episode expected her engagement to Francis to be back on track. I couldn't have been more wrong and pleasantly surprised that they've inverted everything. I also have no idea what will happen from here which is exciting that it's not predictable like most shows (e.g. TVD at the moment).

I did expect Francis to fight for his crown like Catherine but instead he sort of just accepted it gracefully. Speaking of Catherine, it's amazing how many times she switches from being a sympathetic mother/person to a scheming bitch in one episode and is a joy to watch.
Flag
God, I missed your recaps SO MUCH. You may have just given me a six-pack from all the lols you just spread out. Seriously--I think this is one of your best. xD
Never actually answered the questions before so why not?

... NO, he should NOT. That is inexcusable behavior basically.
... Bash wasn't too happy about it himself so no. I think they both should be mad at Mary--well maybe not Bash because he's still just a bastard and getting mad a royal could get his head cut off.
... More angry.
... Whoso List to Hunt--the only one I remember off the top of my head (after typing some lines into google)
... Oh, I am that history major friend. And yes, yes I almost did.
... YES!!
... I'm gonna go with the poultice. I don't want anymore premature historical deaths.
Flag
I wouldn't say it's Fronce, but Frah-aahnce the emphais on the second ah :)
Flag
We need more shows like this that keep a tight pace without dragging things out.
Flag
It was kind of funny how the king was so out of the loop over the whole prophecy thing, so this whole episode he just thought Bash and Mary were in luuurve. I mean, I guess if you didn't know about the prophecy, it's the reasonable assumption to make, but still. I thought it was funny.

But oh man, this episode. This show. On the one hand, this episode made me all kinds of happy because I quite fervently ship Mary/Bash, AND on top of that, I love the cheesy arranged marriage romance trope (which you don't really get with Francis and Mary because, even though their marriage is arranged, they like, you know, actually are in love). So I would totally love to see this Bash/Mary arranged marriage plot play out... but somehow I don't think it will.

Yeah, it was kind of funny/ridiculous, when Catherine told Mary she couldn't tell Francis about the prophecy because LOGIC. Lol. And I agree it was a little disappointing and kind of weird that Mary believed in the prophecy so readily. But she definitely more than made up for it the way she dealt with the king. She's like a hammer.
More+
Flag
hahaha lmfao at the picture of Greer inbetween the shots of Kenna being a stupid bitch.
Flag
Great review, as always Lily!

1. This week "Mary's friends" (let's be honest her only true friend was poor Aylee) broke into our protagonist's wardrobe and stole her gorgeous gowns.
All 3 best gowns of the episode were presented during the Queen's farewell.

First place - Greer's blue / greyish dress.
Second place - Lola's red dress
Third place - Mary's black dress

2. I miss Aylee so much! It's not the same without her :(

3. Catherine is a psycho. And it's all Gilbert Blythe's fault. He obviously drove her mad during her stay at Prince Edward Island.

4. I'm starting to hate Keena.

5. I want Mary and Francis back together ASAP.

6. Adelaide Kane - I love that girl.
Flag
Staff
I do miss Aylee. She was the least bitchy of the Waiting Ladies. I am completely with you on those dress selections, same order and everything.
Flag
I love reading this. You have a great sense of humor and wit. By the way, any speculation on where Olivia has been this whole time? Is she still lost in the castle walls for weeks on end? I know that she is coming back in a few episodes. I bet she shows up pregnant...and Francis won't be the baby-daddy, although she will claim that he is.
Flag
Staff
As far as we know Olivia is still somewhere in the castle walls, either lost or imprisoned by Clarissa. If she was imprisoned by Olivia, she must be pretty hungry as Clarissa in turn has been in Nostradamus' "time out" cell.
Flag
This show man. THIS SHOW! How did I live without it? I don't know. I'll never know. Can we talk about the fashion though? I know its always amazing and I've never cared about historical accuracy but they were really pushing it this week. I mean, they put her in a freaking crop top. I fully expect her by season's end to be walking around in hot pants and platform boots.
Flag
I get a kick out of this show, but, well, I think I need to take my own advice to the people who watch Arrow. On Arrow you just have to accept that no one can recognize Oliver in his get up and that no one who has interactions with both notice that initially at least Oliver and Arrow move the same until Oliver checks himself. Here, I just have accept that while they might stick with the historical facts for the broad strokes, they could just go crazy for the in between.

Like, for instance, I have almost no doubt that when Mary's mother arrives she will likely set history right.
Flag
Staff
I am totally okay with them bending history a little- until Mary is married, in my humble opinion, they haven't quite messed with it as marriage contracts were always up in the air until the actual wedding night.
Flag
Marie of Guise cannot come any sooner IMO. Mary is badly in need of motherly advice at this point.
Flag
I am so in with this show. After reading so many wonderful things, I tried the pilot when it re-aired on the WB and fell in love with this show at first glance. If only CW stupid website just kept all of the aired episodes available. At any rate, TV guide Network aired all of the episodes leading into last evenings last Saturday and luckily I was able to DVR them all and it just kept getting better.

That young actress playing Mary is just such a natural. She will be deserving of Emmy love not only for being so wonderful but for pulling off this performance in all these costumes. Ms. Kane and Megan Follows are really playing the sh!t out of their respective roles as Queens. They better not think they're getting rid of Catherine that simple.

I was hesitant about this show because of the catalog model look of Tony Regbo. Thought maybe it was another WB example of putting a pretty face in a role meant for an actor. For that, I apologize. He is wonderful and makes Francis a hero you can root for. The two of them together and fireworks literally shoot from the tv. Ok maybe not literally - but that kind of chemistry is harder to produce than it looks. Putting those two at odds just breaks the viewers heart. (This is what I think they were shooting for and missing the mark with in 'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland's ' Alice and Cyrus.)

This show looks extraordinary, the cast is wonderful, and Adelaine Kane is a rock star. I don't care if this sounds cheesy... Long May She 'Reign'.
More+
Flag
Staff
I am constantly blown away by Adelaide Kade. She is so natural and instantly likable.
Flag
I was happy I saw your name as the writer of this column. This new show must have been a fantastic get for a mind and pen like yours. This is a big role for a young career and she just breezes through each scene with the grace of a royal - no matter the situation, no matter the other actors in the scene - what a wonderful find this network stumbled upon across the Ocean. If she wasn't as good as she is, the whole show falls apart - with her, its just must see. I often wonder why Henry isn't just completely smitten with her as well but I guess he has too much on his plate already. I actually think he finds her remarkable and a suitable bride; which is why she was able to pull off everything she did in this episode. This young woman from Perth is just amazing. I feel dumb for catching up to this show, this late but it was soo worth it I sat in front of my TV on MLK day and watched 'em all.
Flag
Not cheesy at all. It's a battle cry of sorts.
Long may she Reign!
Flag
Game changer! It was pretty obvious where this plot was going but it didn't make it any less impactful. What an episode!
This episode basically reboots the series- Bash and Francis have now switched places. But let's be clear, Francis isn't a prince anymore, if all this goes down, Francis is a bastard. Bash was of royal blood but he was never groomed as a prince, never held a title. Throughout the show we have been shown that Francis has been groomed to rule, has been taught to think of France first, has been taught to be measured and careful because he will have power one day. It has shaped everything about him and his views. I mean, part of the reason Henry doesn't love him as much(aside from his mother), is that he views Francis not so much as an heir but as his usurper(his own words in one episode). Now, Bash is in that role. And despite all of Bash's awesome traits, we have not seen that much to indicate he will be a good leader. How will he handle that? How will it change his relationship with Henry?

Francis has had everything stripped from him BY MARY because she loves him. I cannot reinforce this enough- she has taken everything he has ever known from him and the very cornerstone of his identity away. How cruel is that? it is impossible not too feel for him here. Can he forgive her? Especially because during this time she will develop real feelings for Bash.. so much drama.

Yet, it is impossible not to feel sad for Bash. He never wanted the throne but now he is in line for it. And he stripped his brother of everything to protect him but also selfishly because he wants Mary. But you can't imagine he would want her like this. He really is a good man and now he is engaged to the woman he wants who is desperately in love with someone else. Be careful what you wish for. Ouch. But this engagement will bring Mary and Bash together and that will be compelling tv.

And poor Mary with no good choices just leaving havoc in her wake. Everywhere she turns she is hurting others but she is such a sympathetic character because her motives are good. Plus, she is suffering too. But this move while cunning is also so so cruel. To preserve his life she will burn his life down.And now Francis and Mary are in the position of forbidden love. Total reset. Genius. Considering we know Mary marries Francis- the writers have come up with a good way to drag it out.

Not to mention Catherine has her back against the wall. What will she do to protect herself and her children? I cannot wait to find out. Catherine remains the best and we can count on her scheming to make things even more interesting. Their might be no love lost between Catherine and Henry but their sure is respect. They know how manipulative the other one is. Absolutely hilarious.

My theory is that Mary and Bash will grow closer during this time, she will still be in love with Francis but she will be avoiding him and spending more time with Bash as he struggles to learn with it is to be royal.(So like several episodes). The pope won't approve the plan of legitimization because the De Medici's still have too much power in Rome. And then they will be at a standoff again.
More+
Flag
Francis will now be making more swords and knives.
Flag
The name of the character is Francis, not Frances.
Flag
Staff
I keep going back and forth, don't I? I'll adapt my style guide. Thanks Raphayael. (jk)
Flag
I simply can not watch this show anymore. Especially after the EP said Mary will develop real feelings for Bash. I still don't understand where all this love for Mary from Bash came from. Was it just love at first sight? Did saving her dog turn him on that much?! I don't how Francis can ever forgive Mary for all of this even if it's to save his life. She has stripped not only him but his brothers of everything. He will never love her the same way. There's no way he could. What drew me to the show was Mary and Francis' love for each other and the way they always seemed to have on matching outfits. Don't get me wrong I like Bash but not with Mary. King Henry has to be the worst father ever. I mean hell if you loved Bash so damn much why didn't you just stop having kids after that? I know birth control didn't exist but C'MON SON! Francis basically means nothing to Henry. Or the other kids for that matter. Also if his marriage to Catherine is annulled then what does that mean for their oldest daughter with the King of Spain? UGH!! I'm sure I'll be back after a few episodes but right now I just can't. I think, I actually dislike Mary now and wish Francis had kept Olivia around so at least they could run off together while flipping Mary the bird.
More+
Flag
what ep said mary will develop real feelings? I don't agree, look at most tv couples. It's drama, the show is a drama. They have to explore feelings a bit. i don't know about real when she already loves francis, but could be real real. A lot of things. Not just the dog, a few other things, as well as the fact that mary can't be with francis. Why do you hate mary?
Flag
Here is the article. Ask for Bash having feelings I still don't understand it. He told her she was not alone there as if they had known each other as long as her and Francis had. They hadn't spent more than 5 minutes together. I'm going to go with love at first sight cause if I don't it just doesn't make sense to me. I don't hate Mary but I don't like her right now either. Ain't no way (by Aretha Franklin) she could possibly think that taking everything, literally, away from him is better than the possibility of death. At least for Bash being a bastard meant he still had his mother's money but not so with Francis. Option 3 makes him and all of his siblings broke because Catherine's money now belongs to the King. She wasn't thinking as a ruler as Francis said. She has now put thousands of lives in danger just to save one man. Francis will not be the same after this and it's her fault.
Flag
*As for Bash...
Flag
I don't know why your saying all along. And surely, she had spent time with him as a kid as well. They didn't show that though. Okay, nobody is perfect, people make certain choices. She did what she thought, things end up differently as well you know. Yes, I think love at first sight as well.
Flag
Totally forgot about the sister. You are so right on that account. Maybe that would be what stops the legitimizing from happening-Spain's threat.
Curious if the show will go through their wedding occurring first , before every thing reverts.
Personally, I think she has a more solid connection with Bash since he has always had her back, isn't wishy-washy, and hasn't thrown other women in her face. Wonder if his attitude will change now that his life is flipped. Will he resent Mary? And now that Mary was able to pull off what Diane didn't, will she have a different lover's mother to become besties with? And will this make Kenna now plot against her? Cause you so know that Kenna is so on the road to something relly self serving with her acts so far.
Flag
Francis did not handle things smoothly. He was an s.o.b with Oliviagate and he acted like he didn't want to marry Mary. Yes, Bash had her back but shouldn't have had his brother's? ( One of the best lines Francis had is when he said "And he what?! FORGOT THAT HE WAS MY BROTHER?! ) Comparing Francis with Bash is unfair considering how they were brought up. Bash has no responsibility whatsoever, a mother and father who love him dearly, lives in the castle and can come and go as he pleases. Francis has the weight of a nation bearing down on his future, no say so in who he can marry, a father who prefers his older brother and a Smother from hell. Lastly, of course Kenna is going to do something ridiculously self serving because she hasn't thought about anybody but herself since the got to France. Why oh why couldn't she have been the friend who died?
Flag
This "freedom" is in the eyes of the beholder. Francis is really more free. He is a legitimate kid and going to be king. Sure he cant marry someone of his choosing really, but he can bed and have children with whomever he wants and those women usually don't have much choice. And so he has to listen to the woes of the people, but otherwise he can do whatever he wants and have a bunch of guards with him so he doesn't have to fear retribution. And its not like they have cameras, he can go out of town and act like whoever he wants if he so desires cause nobody knows what he looks like.
Sebastian on the other hand is a double target. He is illegitimate and therefore a disgrace towards God but he is still the son of a king so he can still be assassinated for him blood. And he can't say no to the king either. And he doesn't have much choice in who he marries either (hell Mary was thrust upon him and he didn't have a choice to take up his brothers mantel. ) He is his father's pawn, his marriage is a bargaining chip , he has to run errands by his fathers commands.. He is expendable, he is servant, subject, and son.

And Francis is just like a poor little rich boy case- complaining about responsibilities and being raised by a nanny but having yachts, having a practically self sustaining business thrust on him, spending thousands a day on whatever, , being able to do crime thanks to lawyers and bribes. But the poor kid with supposedly more freedom has to worry about feeding himself, having a roof over his head, doing everything right so not to get arrested, fear of getting framed and not being able to defend himself, medical bills, finding a job that isn't just given to him and so forth.
More +
Flag
I don't know…. I can't really compare Bash kissing Mary (after Mary kissed him first) to Oliviagate. Mary was completely upfront with her worry about Olivia to Francis and he basically through it back in her face. It's one thing to keep someone at arms length because you're not sure of your future, it's another to parade the woman your sleeping with in front of her.

And while Bash went along with Mary's crazy plan, he kinda didn't really have a choice. The decision was made around him, and if he refused he would have been killed. You can't really expect him to choose death over "betraying" his brother can you?
Flag
I simply can not watch this show anymore.

Lol, as I read this, I imagined you in a french castle garden with a large floppy dog at your feet, holding the back of your palm against your forehead. Of course I mean this in the best possible way, because in my head your hair and dress are perfect, you're just being a little dramatic. :)

And I completely understand, this show makes me a little dramatic as well. But regardless of whatever happens between Mary and Bash, whatever (gorgeous) eyes they make at each other, and despite the heart melting speeches I'm sure he'll give her, Mary will end up with Francis.

…sigh. I really want her to run away to the colonies with Bash and live happily ever after. But that's me.

Mary's loved Francis for most of her life. And while I know this small detour will be hard for you to watch. Imagine the episodes that will come after with Mary having to convince Francis to forgive her. I'm picturing, scenes in the rain, night time boat rides with floating candles, fancy dress balls, come on it's gonna be fab.

Just hang in there :)

More +
Flag
I can imagine myself in that same scenario. With a glass of something at my side. (if only I could live like that) This show makes me feel dramatic. I love it. The way you describe Mary's road to redemption gives me hope. :) I would love to see that. I really do like Bash. He is gorgeous. I just don't understand where his love for Mary comes from. But hey, love is hard to understand.
Flag
He's in love with her because she's unlike any girl at court that he has ever met. Which honestly should annoy me because that's such an over used tv trope. And while I did roll my eyes a few times, (like when Mary was climbing trees) over all I think for the most part it's working because of Adelaide.

He likes that she's forward, and strong, passionate and kind hearted. Loyal to a fault and a little naive. That she wears fabulous dresses and is easy on the eyes I'm sure is part of it too.

I also think that the fact that she was basically given to Francis when they were children plays a part of it. That his brother who has been groomed to be king, who gets the inheritance and the crown all because he had the right mother has got to be a sore spot for him despite how much he denies it. Then on top of that Francis gets Mary who at first it seems he doesn't even want.

All of these things are what drew him to her.

I think the writers are totally trying to Lancelot/Guinevere/Arthur this thing.

More +
Flag
I agree with you about the subconscious jealously part but that's also why Bash shouldn't be king. How is he going to put a country first when he can't even keep his eyes/lips off his brother's girl? Francis was right to hold back his feelings for Mary at first (although I wanted to strangle him while he acted an ass). He knew there was a chance that things could change in a heart beat and they would not be wed. He didn't want to be in love with her while he had to marry someone else. How he went about it was a disaster but it didn't alter other people's lives like her decision did. All those things you listed as reasons for Bash to like her are completely valid (those seem to be the things that broke Francis' resolve about keeping her at arms length) but he hadn't spent that much time with her. Eh, I guess the heart wants what the heart wants.
Flag
Staff
"What drew me to the show was Mary and Francis' love for each other and the way they always seemed to have on matching outfits."--I love that attention to detail. I hadn't noticed! You're totally right.
This show is dancing around what every romantic series must dance around: if the two romantic leads get together the story essentially ends, its "happy ever after" time. They're just heaping conflict on your OTP. I know its agonizing but one thing about Reign is that it moves very fast. They've reversed course completely since the midseason finale and mark my words another reversal will be in the cards before February is over.
Flag
I guess this is going to be another Chuck/Blair situation where they'll do anything to keep them from getting together until the last possible instant. But the thing is, we know Francis will die in a few years and Mary will be heartbroken and make questionable marital choices so I want them to be a happy couple and have normal couple problems before this happens.

Oh yeah, the matching outfit, so cute! Especially their black and gold ones from the bastard of Portugal's visit.
Flag
P.S. I'm too mad at Mary to even appreciate the fabulousness of her dress while explaining to Francis about the prophecy and while watching the Queen try to leave.
Flag
I agree with you. I was so upset with Mary for taking everything fromFra cis who clearly loves her to "save his life" she never gave him a choice in the matter. She just decided for him.
I know eventually Francis and Mary will end up together, but look at the damage that she has done to a good thing.
And I don't buy the whole Mary has feelings for Bash thing. It feels so forced. All she has shown us since the very first episode is that she has feelings for Francis.
Flag
Reign is simply too FAB to review! Must watch!
Flag
and more than once to tide me over until next Thursday!!
Flag
Holy smokes, long may she reign. This show just gets better and better with each passing episode and this was no exception reign came back with a bang. Bash I love him and those eyes they get bluer each time I see them he even likes amazing after being beaten up. I know in my head that historically it doesn't happen but my heart is screaming yes yes yes go bash go, I adore the chemistry between the pair always have there personalities for me are better suited to each other, I just hope they allow the feeling to develop and mature into something great and not just rip it away from us, I'm praying to the tv gods allow bash and Mary to have something amazing steer away from history please
Flag
I SO totally agree with you! His gorgeous eyes are definitely blue, but when he wears a green shirt, his eyes look green. So cool! I love Bash and Mary's chemistry, too. Bash has always had Mary's back whereas Francis has been so wishy-washy. At first, he didn't want to marry her and now he does. I am glad that Francis is now being more decisive, though.
Flag
Okay now I'm really worried that the only way for Francis to regain Mary and the throne would be for Bash to die, probably by Catherine de Medici's poisons. Or perhaps we'll get riots in France over the attempted heir switcharoo and Henry will have to give up on the idea of Prince Bash?
Flag
OMG I loved this review!
Flag
I mean historically it doesn't happen, but Maybe. However I kind of think King Henry will die before he gets to Rome. Leaving Catherine in charge! That would be cool!
Flag
I dont know about any of you, but this episode was Awesome!!! BASH..BASH..BASH.. can it truly be!?
They have chemistry together, i hope we get to see more of that before they rip it out from under us :/
Smart move on the King to enprison her. Catherine IS very cunning & smart. Again the king was right about his comment on Francis. I guess Bash should stop trusting him, he seemed accepting but i doubt it'll last. I Did really laugh at Catherine's comment : whore-monger. I cant stand kenna. Her "what about me" comment made me hope someone would give her a dirty look, who cares about you? You'd be lucky to not be killed. Especially knowing about when she brought up to Mary the poison meant for her etc. Ya kenna you should start laying low for a while...
Flag
So I'm not thrilled about this latest development of Mary taking away Francis' crown and marrying Bash but it does lay the groundwork for some really good drama in future episodes. This way, Francis gets to be someone other than the Dauphin and Mary (hopefully) realizes that risking everything on some flimsy prophecy is totally not worth it and works to get Francis back. We all know they're still in love with each other but now Francis has actual grievances and won't be so easily won over. I'm also looking forward to Henry regretting that he never appreciated his son enough.
Flag
I want Francis to give them both, his father and Mary, the side eye and ignore them for as long as possible.
Flag
While I was giddy with excitement all day for the return of Reign, I am now completely heartbroken. I just can not believe the things that happened.

1. Mary is a total bad ass when she first came back and was going head to head with King Henry.
2. Francis, poor Francis. He has a father who was half assed at best and a Smother. He finally finds a true love in Mary and she leaves him. For a good reason but leaves him all the same. Mary has done to him what has been done to him his whole life, made a decision for him.
3. While Bash didn't want his brother's crown he certainly didn't put up much of a fight.
4. Catherine is a straight up gangsta. I can't stand her but I love to hate her. All her conniving backfired and almost got her ousted. Worse yet she's under house arrest.
5. I just can't believe after all that has happened Mary is cool marrying Bash. I know , I know, she was feeling him but SHE LOVES FRANCIS. What's gonna happen when it comes to light that she had sex with Francis?
All in all I am left with these crazy questions and heartbroken feelings. What's going to happen when Mary's mother comes to town? How fast is Diane going to hightail it back to the castle when she finds out her son is going to become king? Is Olivia going to suddenly turn up and try to sex Francis into loving her now that Mary is almost betrothed to Bash? Is Francis going to man-whore his way through his feelings for Mary? Ugh...I can't take it. Poor Francis....this sucks...I'm going to bed.

More+
Flag
I don't think it will come to light about her sleeping with Francis. He could have used that as a tactic to help force her hand by telling his father of all this- but he doesn't because he loves her. Just the same way he could have told Henry about the prophecy which his father would think is crap but he didn't. He didn't because he loves Mary, he loves his mother, and he loves Bash. Francis is stupidly noble which has been pointed out by Mary and Queen Catherine at various points. That's why he accepted her decision with grace.

Who is Francis when stripped away of everything? What will he do with this freedom he once craved? I suspect we will see that stripped of everything who he is at his core is still someone who wants and needs to lead. What will that look like and where will it lead him?

I'm not mad at all they are going this route. Bring on Mary getting closer to Bash. We know she loves Francis but truly believes she cannot be with him. She is torn by her obligations on all sides. I think this twist by the writers is really awesome and makes all the characters more interesting. By taking Francis' choices away she just did to him what his mother has always done. She and Catherine are actually a lot alike although Mary has much more compassion. Mary's decision about francis' future was insanely selfish. How will he deal with this side of her?

Bash has become instantly more interesting. All we know about him is that he is sexy, loves Mary, loves his brother, is a good warrior, does what he wants, and protects his mother. Bash has never known the burden of rule or of power. He has been able to do what he pleases because he has never been expected to love France above everything. He has never felt the isolation of rule or the threat of the target on his back. He has not been called upon to make weighty choices. Let's see him thrust in this role and how he deals with it. Will the responsibility chafe him? I'm truly interested to see him grow and learn. Reign fans give Francis crap because he was wishy washy about Mary at first but that was because he was taught his whole life to love and put his obligation to his country first. I want to see how Bash will fare with that responsibility.

As to Mary, seeing her do this was one of the first truly unlikeable things she has done. Kissing Bash while drunk was selfish and stupid but this choice was despicable but interesting. I love that the writers are not afraid of making Mary make hard choices.

Don't be discouraged by the Mary/Bash. I think it will be awesome. Remember Mary is a young girl who lived with nuns for many years. It would be shocking if Bash didn't turn her head. He seems pretty cool, he has been supporting her, and he is hot. We already know how deeply she is shown as loving Francis- she put him above Scotland, he swore himself to her above France. For two people who were raised with the one goal/love in mind of their respective countries that is so so so huge. So they aren't together now, so what? The writers are making them even more interesting and it will make their eventual reunion even better.
More +
Flag
All excellent points! You're right about Francis and his damn nobility. I still want him to spit out a one liner to Bash in front of Mary like "Have fun consummating your marriage." Just so Bash and Mary can know just how much this has changed him. I think Francis is going to go off the rails at first. Because he hurt and feels betrayed. I really wish he would leave the castle. I want to see if the King would notice or care that Francis is gone.

I never understood why people thought Francis was wishy-washy. He repeatedly said that they shouldn't fall in love because it could all be changed in a moments notice. That if they act on feelings and not with a clear head it is dangerous. He truly understands what being a ruler means. In a way the Mary doesn't because she was brought up in a convent and Francis doesn't because he was just the bastard. I hate to say it but maybe Olivia should have stayed around to be his lover until Mary and Francis were to be wed.

I think I would feel differently about this if I had watched from the beginning instead of binge watching the first eight episodes several weeks ago. I love all the intrigue and craziness at court but for me the main draw was Mary and Francis. They've ruined Mary for me. Looks like they'll ruin Francis too. It's like Hart of Dixie for me all over again. They killed Hart of Dixie for me by the second season. This is why I usually only watch sci-fi/fantasy/superhero stuff on the CW.

Someone else said that they wouldn't compare Bash kissing Mary to Francis and Oliviagate. I wouldn't either. For me Bash kissing Mary, even though she kissed him first, was way worse and speaks to his true nature. Ask any guy which is worse, your drunk fiance kissing your brother to get back at you or your brother kissing your fiance. I bet they say the brother betrayal is worse. Francis said something happened between him and Olivia so he didn't really blame Mary for getting back at him. But Bash is his brother. They were close and honest with each other. Mary could be married off to someone else but Bash would always be family. Bash should have stopped her not leaned in for another kiss. This speaks to his character. If you can't put your brother's happiness before your own how will you put an entire nation before yourself?

I'm not giving up completely on Reign. Just for the two or three episodes. If I miss a few of the things Francis will do while he's licking his wounds I can come back to it without disliking everyone on the show besides Greer. She's the only one that hasn't disappointed me. Yet. lol.
More +
Flag
1. Love that Reign is back. Weehee!!
2. Naughty little Bash. When a girl tells you to turn around (coz she's getting nekkid), no peeking!
3. Mary hiding under the bed.. such a Clarissa move. I wonder if they're related.
4. I think this is the first "teenage" show where the teen is in the same league as the parents. Just look at how Mary "negotiates" with Henry and Catherine. So good!
5. Now I wonder which bedroom is more awesome. Mary's, with the would be rapists and stag head decor, or Catherine's, with the bloody sheets and hanging henchman live art.
6. Will Nostradamus make it? Surviving a neck shivving shouldn't be that easy in medieval France.
7. I laughed out loud when Kenna's first words after such a long break were: "What about me?"
8. Catherine: Whore-monger!
Henry: Devil!
Me: *feels*
Flag
That line was so Kenna. I loved that she is written to be so self-involved. It is really true to being a teenage girl.
Flag
Teehee. Henry and Catherine's last scene together was gold. I can't wait for the day when these two plot together.
Flag
I feel like this show should really annoy me, but instead I'm completely obsessed. I'm thrilled about Mary and Sebastian potentially marrying, but of course something will happen to stop it...probably just as they're truly falling in lurrrve. My only hangup about this episode was Nostradamus' contrived voice, it reminded me of Christian Bale's Batman.
Flag
Before I say anything else, I loved this episode, (oh, the feels) and this show. I have missed it so much and it make me incredibly happy to see it on my screen.
Now.
I am kind of upset about the love triangle taking center stage. It seems like it may be the focus for a while and what I was really loving about Reign was that it was different because it didn't focus on the romance--for a long time there wasn't even a triangle. I can deal with them having an arc focusing on--it makes sense business wise--but Mary taking the throne away from Francis and his brothers and marrying Bash just seemed over dramatic and unrealistic. This episode in general just seemed to me the least unrealistic of the season so far. (Not the most unrealistic episode ever--just of this show's incredibly strong season) And it seemed kind of out of place when compared to the rest of the season--to me anyway.
I had hoped that the religious turmoil that was taking place in both France and England would take more center stage in the show--I liked the pagans in the woods so long as they didn't get too magicky--and I wanted to see the power of Guises who were pretty much taking over both countries.
That last paragraph is the historian in me and I have loved and accepted Reign for what it is with the historical accuracy, I just put it in to give examples of other plotlines (that can granted still be used). I just had loved how love triangles had always come second before this episode. It just felt very forced to me.

Okay, bad over. Good.
FRANCIS!! I loved loved loved how angry he was with Mary. She ruined his inheritance and his brothers. Disgraced him. I'm so happy he wasn't understanding due to his "relentless" love for her.
CATHERINE!! It made me so happy to see her reaction to Mary's solution to their problem. What Mary proposed was insane. Even though everyone else regarded it as a reasonable possibility (then accepted it), Catherine treated it they it should've been.
Many many other things, I just don't want a crazy long post since it's already super long. I did love this episode and I do love this show, this episode just felt wrong to me when compared to the others.
More+
Flag
omg REIGN how I missed you.
Im left speechless and slightly in shock after that episode.
My biggest issue with Mary and all of her manuvering to save Francis is that she took away his choice. After making Francis aware of the prophecy it should've been his choice to go through with marrying Mary. I kinda...just a little bit...dislike Mary at least in this episode.
I have been on team Francis since day 1 and this whole episode took all of my joy from me because her 3rd option was crazy insane.
however, Catherine and the king were the best parts of the episode. watching Henry finally get involved in whats going instead of getting laid all the time was great.
Questions
1. where is Francis off to?
2. how long are they going to drag out this Mary and Bash are gonna get married storyline?
3. when will Catherine hatch her next scheme?
4. why couldn't Kenna be the one who died?
5. will we ever find out what was in the letters that Mary had Halle delivering to the Queen?

I'm so psyched Reign is back that I'm going to let go how upset I was at everyone--including Francis for giving up so easily and not coming up with his own scheme--and watch it over again because it was still so good as always.

More+
Flag
Totally with you on #4. Kenna is unbearable at this point. Aylee has died and Mary is about to wreak havoc by changing the line of succession and all Kenna can think of to say is "what about me." Even Greer looked annoyed.
Flag
Everyone should be annoyed with Kenna.
Flag
Also this episode was pretty great, even if Mary wasn't able to exert her awesomeness this time round. It was so intense, I was kinda upset about Catherine leaving, glad she's sticking around. There's been so much cool talk about power and all that, Mary needs to be taking notes off that lady. (Now I need me some more Greer and Leith)

Flag
I thought that Mary was really awesome this week, though. I missed Greer and Leith, too. Hopefully next week!
Flag
I just read the history of Mary Queen of Scots and I'm wondering how the show-runners are going to go about Reign. Will the show follow Mary's story or stick to the french court?

Don't get me wrong, I'm super attached to the surrounding cast and adore watching Francis, Bash, Greer and Catherine. But Mary would probably be my favourite character and her life beyond/after french court is pretty damn exciting (plus she's only still in her 20's, so it's reasonable to assume she could still be wearing the kick-ass clothes and look like Adelaide Kane) and I'd love to watch it play out.
Flag
So I have been in the stop shoving the love triangle in our face camp and kind of am still am. But if I am going to choose a camp...I really liked Francis. I am completely on his side on this prophecy angle and really appreciated that he is at least giving lip service to being the bigger man. But Bash who I really don't feel like I know...kind of feel like Mary signed his death warrant.

Do we have any theories whose child that is walking the halls whose name I forget. I am guessing like Francis' twin.
Flag
Well Catherine did have twin daughters. One who died in womb and the other who died shortly after. If they are merging the stories then ya Clarissa could be the other twin the Catherine thought had died.
Flag
Clarissa as Francis' twin? Nice theory! She looks about the correct age (from what we can see) and she really does have Catherine's hair. And it makes sense for her to be hidden away due to visible deformities, people would take it as an evil sign and probably burn Catherine.
Flag
Yeah, that is sort of along the lines of what I was thinking and it could be the basis of her and Rasputin's relationship that she requested he handle the child and then instead of killing her which is probably what Catherine meant or at least hiding her in some faraway village, he thought Catherine might want to know her someday.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members