A Reign Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

Reign S01E04: "Hearts and Minds"

One of the most heartbreaking lessons of adulthood is that the world is not a meritocracy. TV will tell you otherwise, but offscreen, “fair” is just simply not written into the physical laws of our world. Awesome talents go ignored until it’s far too late. The bad guys are sometimes the ones who get to put up the battle monuments. And fantastic shows go unseen and get canceled. Reign is trying to do something rare and right-hearted and weird and ambitious. It's not talking down to its audience and it's painting a forthright and original heroine. Although fewer and fewer viewers appear to be attending court, the show and its actors have incredible merit, and the show is on the right side—if not the accurate side—of history. 

Oh and BTW, my bad for not mentioning this before, but did you recognize Queen Catherine as ANNE OF F-CKING GREEN GABLES?!?! It didn't sink in for me until this episode. Megan Follows just straight up doesn’t look old enough to have starred as our beloved Anne of Avonlea all those years ago in far-off Canada. She is lookin’ GOOD, is what I’m trying to say, though truly that’s none of my business. Weirdly, though, the costume department has not yet featured her in a gown with puffed sleeves.

Our angsty royal teen soap opera opened this week with a tournament betwixt JUST Tomas, the Portuguese semi-Prince, and Frances, taking shots at a target that looked inexplicably like the “castle ghost.” Tomas handily won and handed off his favor, a decidedly phallic pink rose, to Mary.

Mary was stressed enough about Peaseblossom’s sidebraids slowly enveloping her entire head, poised to weave themselves into her nose and mouth, but then the tournament got super serious when Simon the Bitchy English Envoy was arrested for ambushing the French troops last week and sending Bash to Nostradamus’s studio for doctoring!

Nostradamus, in addition to being a vizier and paint-huffer, apparently also did a little medieval first aid, also known as grave-digging. Haha but seriously, what a terrible time to be sick and/or a human being. People died for want of Neosporin, basically. Bash was on death’s door, and Lola checked in on him, bewailing that he was going to leave this mortal coil “so soon.” So soon indeed! We're only on Episode 4! When Bash asked if she had the heart to stay with him and nurse him, she answered that she had nursed two brothers into the grave. So, fair warning: Lola is apparently a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE NURSE. Bash, perhaps deciding she shouldn’t handle any bandages, asked her to read him a coloring book.

Meanwhile things were NOT looking great for Simon: A hussy (or as Frances delicately whispered to Mary, “She’s a prostitute”) testified she had seen Simon apparently bragging about ambushing France in a French pub? Geez, this guy has cojones. Mary agreed to sign the prostitute’s evidence, magically making it true, and King Henry decreed the man would be beheaded as part of their Michaelmas celebrations. I am glad we no longer celebrate Michaelmas, is all I can say about that.

Mary and her four willowy maids would be hauling ass to Portugal directly after Michaelmas: They intended to leave in two days' time! Mary generously told her maids they didn’t have to go with her, they could stay in the French Court if they wanted to, and presumably become hussies to earn their keep. All the ladies were like, “Boo, we don’t want to be homeless, we can learn Portugese, 'hola' or something” but Kenna got that twinkle in her eye. Being a hussy suddenly seemed like a savvy lateral career move.

Mary and Frances were, perhaps now that they were no longer officially engaged, seriously feelin’ it with each other and up on all over each other if you get my drift. You don't know what you got 'til it's gone when it comes to smokin' hot royal fiancees. They were stealing little kisses between every sentence, and Mary even suggested they meet out of sight of the castle to make out on a blanket. This was a very cute scene where we learned that because of a fumbled childhood portrait, all of Europe believed Frances was a sickly dwarf! Haha, all of Europe believed his half-brother the better man, hoho! Once Mary started needling him on his insecurities and really negging him out, Frances was putty in her hands. Sexual putty.

Kenna, meanwhile, was pleading her case to the King: “Why remain loyal to your wife and/or the mother of your son, who’ve stood by you for for decades, when I’m horny NOW? Make me your mistress instead.” Almost zero guys ever have been able to resist this line of logical reasoning, but Henry actually told her that he had to be loyal and true to both of the women he was committed to. Wife, Mistress, and Honor: the code of chivalry. 

Tomas, meanwhile, had found out about Mary and Frances’ blanket diddle session, though we did not see how—every time two Portuguese people got together and started talking the scene cut away, making me think no one on the set knew a word of Portuguese. So Tomas mercilessly whipped one of his servants to intimidate Mary and get her to submit to her “betters,” a group of which he considered himself a part. It was around this time that Mary started thinking maaaaybe Tomas was not nearly as romantic as the pink roses and chests of costume jewelry might have led her to believe, a suspicion rapidly confirmed as Tomas continued shouting at her that he would rule Scotland like she didn’t even exist. But obviously if she didn’t marry him there’d be no Scotland anyway, moot point. Mary was really between a rock and an angry sociopath on this one, but luckily Frances and Bash had a plan.

Or at least, Frances and Bash had a gossip session that was immediately interrupted by Tomas, who was like, “Why can’t you talk shit to my face?!” He snapped on Frances pretty hard about how many ships he had access to (harsh), and was basically like, “Yeah Mary is mine, if I want to hold her upside-down and mop the floor with her pretty pretty hair, that’s my beeze.” Bash, showing that passion (or shall we call it "Bashion") for which he is apparently known all across Europe, was like, “Yeah, we gotta kill him.”

The ghost, proving even more useful than two royal brothers, put a chest full of Portuguese secrets in Mary’s room. Mary was like “I love you, ghost. And I miss hanging out.”

The girls, meanwhile, were determined to enjoy their last masque at Court by finding really sexy costumes for Michaelmas, which was going to involve a masquerade in addition to the big beheading! Again, super glad we no longer celebrate this jacked-up psycho holiday. Masques, in general, were like the Halloween of the 16th century: social permission to dress as sexy as humanly possible. And dress sexy they did... all except Lola, who apparently went to the 16th century version of a Rite Aid for her costume. 

Mary’s dress, however, was one of the best things that could ever happen to eyeballs.

So at the ball (THREE BALLS IN FOUR EPISODES THIS IS WHY THIS SHOW IS EVERYTHING), Simon was chained to a chair, like you do on Michaelmas, and Mary stopped by and started making smalltalk about what color the rose on his seal was. For a man minutes from the grim spectre of death, Simon was surprisingly witty and composed. After Mary was done chatting up the Condemned, her fiancée came across the room and squeezed her publicly. A public squeezing!

Despite that loathsome contact, Mary knew she now had the perfect intel with which to confront and interrogate that tramp whose evidence she'd co-signed. Mary gathered from the trollop's hot new shawl, cool new hoopty (okay, a vegetable cart), and the bitchin' mass of bruises on her neck that her testimony had been both bought AND coerced by Tomas. The hussy was hiding something about the true party that ambushed the French!! Guys I need a Cliff Notes for this teen drama!

Tomas was in the middle of dispatching the only other witness to his treachery with an arrow (Whipping Boy Miguel, or FML Miguel, as he's also known) when he was interrupted by rapscallion royal Hardy Boys Bash and Frances. Even though there were three guys fighting one angry dude, this fight was a pretty close call, and for the third time in two episodes, Bash was almost killed! But eventually Frances skewered Tomas like a corn dog, totally bumming himself out. In a moment of transcendent, basshionate bromance, Bash told Frances it was GOOD he was freaked out by killing someone. We are not supposed to be okay with killing people. How is it that I have almost NEVER HEARD this sentiment on TV before? Especially on The CW, where necks are snapped as casually as a Doritos bag might be opened. I appreciate u Bash. I APPRECIATE U REIGN!

Meanwhile at the ball Kenna was begging the King to hold off on killing the Envoy because any minute, witnesses would refute the testimony that convicted him. Henry was like, “I do as I please,” and then I was like, “Wait, where are your boobs?” In a shocking turn of events, Kenna was wearing a baggy shirt and for once he looked at her face and listened to her words instead of merely planning their next fingerblastin’ session. 

Kenna eloquently pleaded for the English envoy and Henry could not get enough of it. He told her that her confessing her feelings was so brave that he had no choice but to abandon his mistress and mother of Bash for her. Good job, Kenna! You successfully got a much older guy to agree to have sex with you and abandon not one but two families! You are a winner... until you, like, get older and some young up-and-comer does the same thing to you.

So all was well that ended well: Simon the Bitchy English Envoy will still be snipin’ around court causing Mary trouble, yet now he'll have some respect for her Angela Lansbury steeze. Mary is no longer engaged to Tomas, whose murder has been brushed under the rug, with Frances announcing he was gutted by a stag’s horn, and Frances and Mary’s engagement is to resume—with Mary negotiating her own terms!

Of all the many graces Mary possessed, perhaps none impressed Frances more than her business acumen in this affair. As he later praised her, she was a Queen any King would kill for.  BUT DIE FOR!? DUN DUN DUN Nostradamus wink.

After Frances and Mary were done chastely holding hands and talking about how they were committed to taking it slow, Mary then crept to the secret mouldering passage and basically told her Ghost, Clarissa that she was the greatest and she loved her always. It was genuinely touching how cool and appreciative Mary is with this creature everyone else is terrified by. Then the show was like HORROR STING CLARISSA UNDER THE BED! AHHH HUMANS CAN LICK TOO! No seriously are we really scared by this? Clarissa is the best and if I were Mary I’d even invite her to curl up by my feetsies.

So technically, the fourth episode leaves us exactly where we were the first episode: Mary and Frances are engaged, but negotiating the terms with no set date, Kenna and the King are having intense physical good times, a ghost is somehow the most in the know, Bash is... Bash, and Queen Catherine is most displeased about everything. However, now we’re confident that Frances and Mary are very much in love, and we’ve seen Mary be willing to sacrifice everything for her country but also stand up for herself. She’s a postmodern hero, she’s a semi-accurate sketch of a 16th century princess (but with better clothes). The CW keeps promoting this series as a hit, and I sincerely hope it is. I hope this show reigns over my Thursday nights for many seasons to come.

QUESTIONS:

... Is Kenner going to get it from Bash’s mom?

... Tomas: too sexy to be a sociopath in your opinion, or just in mine?

... Which of Mary’s insanely gorgeous gowns was your favorite this week?

... Lola and Bash: awful pairing/should be destroyed?

... Will you take any steps this week to raise Reign awareness?

... How long do you think Reign will last? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

81 Comments
Comments (81)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I just started watching this. I've been aware of it since the beginning, but there's only so much time for tv. The summer lull made it happen. And I'm so happy! It's exactly what I thought it was. :) (I've read a couple reviews.) Hugely historically inaccurate soap opera. Just what I wanted. I am glad it's as good as I was hoping. And as a non history buff, I'm really enjoying the music and ridiculously cute, modern costumes. It's more fast-paced than many shows, which is so much fun. Bring it on!
Flag
Outstanding. How do you come up with this stuff. You are special.
Best parts of the Review:
"Mary was stressed enough about Peaseblossom’s sidebraids slowly enveloping her entire head, poised to weave themselves into her nose and mouth,"

"When Bash asked if she had the heart to stay with him and nurse him, she answered that she had nursed two brothers into the grave. So, fair warning: Lola is apparently a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE NURSE. Bash, perhaps deciding she shouldn’t handle any bandages, asked her to read him a coloring book."

"Wife, Mistress, and Honor: the code of chivalry."

"Bash told Frances it was GOOD he was freaked out by killing someone. We are not supposed to be okay with killing people. How is it that I have almost NEVER HEARD this sentiment on TV before? Especially on The CW, where necks are snapped as casually as a Doritos bag might be opened"
Flag
"If you don't kill him, I will." That line officially makes Bash the best. He's literally lying on what everyone thought would be his death bed, after being stabbed, and yet I totally believe he would kill that horrible thing that calls itself a Prince.
Flag
Nice show, but the first picture of the review brings one of the poorest CGI scenery scenes I've seen in a long time.
Flag
I'm not sure how I feel about Bash and Lola hooking up, but she was the only one (other than Francis) to stay with him for an extended time and showed that she cared how he was doing.

I love Greer and Leith's interactions, though. So cute!
Flag
This is an amazing quality show! If only more viewers would give it a chance, I'm sure they'd be hooked. I almost didn't watch, thinking I'm not sure about historical dramas. But I was intrigued enough by the CW preview to give it a try. And I'm so glad I did!

Well...it's been given a full season, which is a start. It is difficult to predict what will happen on the CW, but there are lower rated shows on their roster. Fingers crossed it continues to do as well, or better!

I love Mary and Francis together, hated Tomas from the beginning (you could just tell he was a psychopath), also love Bash (he needs a romance but I'm not sure with whom). And I almost hesitate to say this...but I kinda thought the scene with the King and Kenna was super hot...
Flag
First of all, thank you Lily for getting me to watch this show, it's completely awesome.

Bash with his laser eyes is my favourite but pretty much all the characters are interesting and the show is just incredibly beautiful and entertaining.

Bash + Lola would be really lame, pairing the most charismatic man with the least charismatic woman - please no.

I liked Tomas until the psycho tendencies, not high enough in the hot-crazy-scale, sorry.

I thought the final scene was just bittersweet. Poor girl was sleeping under Mary's bed like a weirdo stalker, but in the same time she had actually made a friend and probably felt safer there.
Flag
Is it safe to say after this episode especially that there is an official fanbase starting? I sincerely hope so because I want this show to last! Been waiting for a show like this to watch since The Tudors wrapped up and I just can't get enough!

Aside from all the amazing things that happened this week, Mary and Frances making out, Tomas revealing his true colors and getting what he deserved, Kenna finally accepting her hoe like tendencies...

I REALLY loved that the show threw a nod to tell fans, "Yes, we know we are not taking this from the history books." When the King swore that Simon would make sure that England forgot the whole Portugal incident Simon responds with, "It's as if history will forget it ever happened."

Thank you!!! :)
Flag
Hearts and Minds so far the Best episode to date, business as finally pick up hope every understands that!! Anything that Adelaide puts on is breath taking !!
Flag
Yes I was surprised at the lack of Anne Shirley love by you, but I thought maybe you don't know of such greatness. I know it was always in my first sentence when spreading the love for the show around. For me, The moment I saw her name on the screen for the first time it appeared I screamed and got so excited hoping it was THE Megan Follows. And then she was there and it was even more super hearts for the show.

I was really disappointed by how quickly they ended the Tomas storyline. I thought he was a useful beau (very unlike Francis) and like many a love triangle they undue one side by making him/her a ne'er-do-weller/nefarious. Plus he had the most awesome clothes. I will miss his outfits.
And I really hope Bash isn't getting his own separate love triangle before establishing himself better in Mary's.

And My Gawd that scene with her under the bed was so unexpected and scary. Totally gave me the creeps, and its a good thing the under of my bed is so jammed pack, I know no one can fit there (Alas I have closets).

And fine on the clothes not being exactly on par with the times but there s no reason any should be extremely wrong for the time. I was rewatching eps and I noticed a short skirt with thigh highs . That is just pushing it too much.

And yes, her handmaidens are utterly useless.
More+
Flag
-Probably, but I hope we also get to enjoy Henry getting some of it too.

-I honestly never found him sexy and the moment the word "betters" was dropped he was beyond 100% dead to me.

-It's a tie between the continue-attempts-to-seduce-Frances-even-though-he's-not-primary-fiance-anymore dress and the Katniss costume. They were both so amazing I literally forgot to watch what was actually happening at times because I was too busy staring at the dresses.

-No opinion yet, so they should not be destroyed until I have developed one.

-Promoting to everyone possible!! Not really working...

-I don't know.. insert tear here. They're not exactly reigning the viewers, but this is CW...
Flag
... Kenner is in big trouble because she will get it from Queen dearest and mistress the first... who apparently is out shopping?
... According to TV to be a sociopath you have to be good looking so yeah Tomas made a believable sociopath
... I loved the Katniss costume! I want one! and every other insanely gorgeus costume mary wears.
... Lola and Bash is too weird!
... I have tried to raise the REIGN awareness believe me! but people is stupid.
... Three seasons? maybe more... please world? I need more of this show!
Flag
Reign's costume designer, Meredith Markworth-Pollack is the sh*t.
Flag
Such a good episode. Mary and Francis are just ahhh so amazing together, that chemisty you know? Plus everything is so high stakes, cut of the wrong English mans head and three countries will go to war! It's so wonderful to see such a strong female lead that isn't idiotic. Mary is so poised and smart, she knows what she has to do for Scotland and what she has to sacrifice. I especially loved when she took over her own engagement negotiations, as she rightly should! Go Mary!! Also loved seeing Bash and Francis working together, they make a great team and good riddance of Tomas, he was terrible. I'm pretty sure we all knew the Portuguese were behind the sabotage but still good to see him get what he deserved.
Seriously, I love the whole castle setting and my god the gowns!! Also is it wrong for me to want to start wearing hair jewellery on a daily basis now? Kenner is seriously selling that stuff.
Clarissa is creepy. I know she doesn't want to harm Mary, but lady that is CREEPY. Not looking forward to the next episode because couldn't we give Mary and Francis a bit of time together before more obstacles are hurtled in their way? Still loving this series though, I feel bad for ever thinking this was going to be the worst thing the CW has ever made, I take it all back!!!
More+
Flag
No I think Kenner will be fine. No tense love triangles are the stuff of legends for soaps, so probably...

Tomas was sexy, till he started going to crazy, scary town. He was on Covert Affiars and was also killed. I wonder will he be the guest star who is perpetually killed?

I think I liked her dress for the ball. It's difficult to remember.

No I think Bash needs someone, especially so the whole Bash, Mary, & Frances doesn't turn into an unecessary love triangle thingy

I will send the thoughts out into the universe and repeat the mantra "watch Reign, watch Reign, etc.

I don't know. I really hope we get at least a season out of it. It's really so much better than expected and your review/recap is hilarious as always. I laugh throughout your witty reparte. I really didn't even expect to like this. I wasn't hung up on the historical stuff so much, just really thought that it would be banal in some way, but it has turned out to actually surprise me. Beneath the sexy, dirty king (I've thought about him a lot), and other sexual daliances, there's political intrigue, murder plots, and a genuine, honorable heroine which actually makes us care about her as well as what happens to her.
More+
Flag
Yes at the beginning I was reluctant to this show cause it took too much freedom regarding History, but now I don't care anymore cause it's simply a nice show whith pretty dresses.(Ok it's a lame point)
I won't say pretty boys (I am too old for this ok not that old), but handsome men: the King is actually hot for his "age" and Nostradamus has a little something interesting.

The show is entertaining and that's exactly what a tv-show must be, still it has to improve the "story" cause in my last week comment I had guess that Tomas was the one behind the plot cause he needed a queen to be legitimate and that"s what happened....I hope for much more, the "Clarissa" plot is nice but it also needs some developpment or I will be blasée.

... Is Kenner going to get it from Bash’s mom? And from Anne of Green Gables and probably from her "friends" too

... Tomas: too sexy to be a sociopath in your opinion, or just in mine? Yours, to me he isn't sexy at all, he is creepy in many ways

I'll go for the last one with the stars on it

... Lola and Bash: awful pairing/should be destroyed? Awkward pairing, when Lola will get it all the boys want Mary, once again she'll get heartbroken.....

... Will you take any steps this week to raise Reign awareness? Probably as it was one of the fourth new show I wanted to watch this season and contrary to Once upon a time in Wonderland or Marvel Agents bla bla that I will continue...

... How long do you think Reign will last? One or two seasons it shouldn't last much longer, they can't drag the engagment to long....

Now Off Topic: Why can't I change my avatar at all ?
I keep going back to his old self

More+
Flag
i cannot explain how much i enjoy this show, its so refreshing and i love the dresses and frances and the ghost and the king, and the balls, and the castle...you get my point
Flag
I am so not looking forward to the introduction of the ex and her stealing Francis vagenda (miss you Walter!). Okay, Frary has to be angsty for a while, but they need to clear this triangular roadblock quickly - like Tomas quickly - and sweep Mash away too, while they're at it.

Christ on a cracker, can't one CW romance be complicated by something other than a love triangle? Offhand I can think of Frary, Mash, Fralivia, Dianery, Henatherine, Kennry, and Nostracathrus in this show alone. Surely Queen Anne of Avonlea's shenanigans, the prophecy of doom, and the gotta-do-what's-best-for-my-country thing are enough star-crossing for such an ultimately unlucky couple*. Just give Bash to Lola. Mary can don her Katniss costume and take that new chick down in the Wood Where All the Murder Happens.

*Okay, I read that they're going to have Francis die a year after they wed, during the show. Seriously, The CW? You're choosing that to demonstrate you know what happened IRL? Yes, Reign is about Mary, but you can't get us all invested in this romance and then kill off half the OTP. Haven't you seen Downton Abbey?? You made up Bash, you made up Tomas, you made up pretty much every storyline, costume and hairstyle thus far (though maybe braids were a big thing back then, who knows). Just make up a happy ending for Frary! Or take us right up to the point where he dies. At least leave it for the series finale, if you must break our hearts.

More+
Flag
Mash and Frary, love it!

I agree, introducing Francis' ex this early in the series makes for unnecessary complications. He just got re-engaged to the girl he wants to marry and was pining for for the last 4 episodes so why risk all that for someone he can't even marry?
The show really wants some reason for Bash/Mary to happen and it's impossible for Mary to suddenly get involved with Bash unless Francis does something that hurts her personally.
Flag
To clarify, by "during the show," I mean while it is ongoing.
Flag
i have to be honest, that final scene completely freaked me out. I saw it coming, but it still made me want to check under my bed. Although I was feverish and in bed at the time... As a matter of fact, I'm still feverish and in bed *sniffle*
Flag
I didn't love this show at first, but once I got over the glaring historical inaccuracies, I loved it. It's a fun teen soap, with great costumes and side braids. Who could ask for more?
Flag
This show really is surprisingly good. Not accurate, obviously, but fun. The plots are kinda intricate, not just a fake love triangle. I genuinely like Mary, she's not just a slave to destiny or whatever, she is fighting tooth and nail, in the only ways she can. The costumes and balls are so fantastic, so much fun. And I thought the modern music would annoy me, but actually, it's totally awesome. Clarissa rules, and Bash rocks too. Anyways, what a lovely gem and I hope it continues, this show is a pleasure to watch.
Flag
I also have a poor time focusing on Kenna's face during scenes. BECAUSE HER CLOTHES ARE AWESOME. There was a headpiece the last episode that I almost paused to stop and admire, damn beautiful things making me fail to focus on the plot.
Flag
Love this show! Afraid my non-american views don't count. But GAH if we ever get to petition stage (which, please, for the love of crownlets let it never get to that stage) I WILL BE SIGNING
Flag
Viewers not in the US can still count. Unlike the other major networks, CW shows generally don't get very high ratings. So the decision for renewal/cancellation don't depend solely on the ratings as much as the other networks. International sales and online viewing are factors that can affect that decision. If Reign isn't being shown (or won't be shown) in your country, contact your local networks that air foreign content and petition them to air Reign for you in your country. Even with mediocre ratings, if the international demand is high, cancellation should be less likely.

Of course all of what I wrote above comes from my just started interest and limited knowledge of the TV ratings system and renewal/cancellation habits of networks. I could be totally wrong about everything. Maybe one of the staffers here can shed some light to the topic.
Flag
I'm not sure how the new "Nielsen Twitter Television Rating" works but I'm hoping that just talking about the show online helps keep it on the air.

Flag
Perhaps. For some reason they'll jump on bandwagons and import Under the Dome, right now it's 'Hostages' and one network dropped and then picked up Revolution, (starting from season one again - oh boy) but the good stuff is usually taken by pay TV, they're the ones who fast-track us to get things the same time as the US
Flag
laine's approach above ^^^ is a great one. a trending topic on twitter can start from anywhere in the world.
Flag
This I WILL DO! :) Thanks guys
Flag
I'm always a bit nervous I'll wake up to find this show cancelled one of these days. This must be pretty expensive for the CW being a costume drama and all but I hope was can at least get to Mary's second husband before they axe it.

Lola/Bash: not really against it but I like Kenna/Bash better. I'm for anything that prevents a love triangle however I'm not holding out hope it'll pan out judging from the preview for next week.

Flag
I disagree about taking the story through Mary's second marriage. It seems like that would be a different show altogether. I think they have to choose one portion of her life to focus on because viewers get attached to characters, and much of Reign's main cast would have to be replaced if they move on to Darnley and Scotland. Reign is really grounded in romantic relationships and I don't think viewers like watching those torn apart once they're invested. With Mary and Francis obviously endgame, it's natural to get invested in theirs. He did die a year after they were married, but let's face it, this show isn't going to be a bazillion season Gossip Girl. For the number of seasons it will likely get (hopefully at least a few), they can craft plenty of storyline leading up to the marriage and then for the year before his death. Personally, I'd just rather watch that show and leave the next chapter of Mary's life to be developed separately.
Flag
Ah yes, if we get 2-3 seasons of this show, I'd be more than fine if it ends just as Mary returns to Scotland after Francis' death. I'm really not that keen on watching how the writers handle Mary's marriage to Darnley and if they can come up with enough storylines for Mary's reign in France without getting repetitive then well and good.
Flag
Yeah I'll admit I was creeped out by Clarissa sleeping under Mary's bed. Sure she's been helpful so far but she's not a cute dog/cat sleeping at the foot of your bed, she's a hessian bag wearing lady/ghost and the bit where we saw her eye blink almost gave me nightmares.

Oh Lola, not only was she a terrible nurse, she saw the picture of the Norse goddess in the book she read to Bash and tried emulate that presumably for his sake. Bash didn't even see Mary in her gorgeous Katniss gown before he was running off into the woods (to fight injured) with Francis and save Mary from Tomas. In short, Lola and Bash shouldn't be more than friends.

I've been trying to raise Reign awareness by telling all my friends to watch it, but seeing as I'm from Australia and it's not shown on TV atm that won't help the ratings. Hopefully this show has many more seasons to come!
Flag
1. Teo Tomas you broke my heart, you bastard! :(

2. Clarissa you creep. Do you have to sleep under Mary's bed?! Have you ever heard about boundaries?!

3. Mary and Frances kissing scene - Awwww :) Go Team Marces!

4. Mary yet again wins the award for the best dressed girl in tv.

5. Lola, what were you thinking, girl? Wings??!! Kenner already fills the spot of 16th century Victoria's Secret Angel.

6. Covered Kenner was just wrong. No wonder King Henry was confused.

- Which of Mary’s insanely gorgeous gowns was your favorite this week?

The one Mary was wearing during preparation to the ball. I also loved "Katniss" and "Proud Independednt Business Woman".

- How long do you think Reign will last?

As long as possible - hopefully for many years to come.

Thanks for review, Lily! See you next week!
Flag
For those interested in ratings and viewer numbers:

Reign
got a 0.6 in the 18-49 demo this week where it has remained steady for the past few weeks now. Total viewers went up slightly from 1.57 million last week to 1.64 million this week (the first time it's gone up since the premiere).

Ranking the other CW shows this week:

1. The Vampire Diaries got 1.3 in the demo and 2.59 million viewers (which actually beat out Fox's The X-Factor in the demo)

2. Arrow got 1.0 in the demo with 2.8 million viewers

3. and 4. Supernatural and The Originals both scored 0.9 in the demo, SPN 2.15 million viewers, TO 2.03 million viewers

Reign came in at #5.

6. The Tomorrow People also scored a 0.6 in the demo, but with only 1.56 million viewers (down from 1.72 million viewers last week).

7. and 8. At the bottom are Hart of Dixie scoring 0.4 and 1 million viewers and Beauty and the Beast with 0.3 and 0.68 million viewers.

*Based on my limited understanding of the ratings system, demo numbers mean more to a show in terms of whether it gets renewed or not. And for shows in the CW, a demo of 1.0 is a hit and anything below 0.5 is in danger of cancellation.

More+
Flag
Staff
This is awesome. These numbers are giving me life. Thanks for posting!
Flag
I'm kinda hopeful too with the small uptick in viewership. Hopefully it continues in the coming weeks. I'm sure your awesome reviews helped a lot, Lily! =)
Flag
Ratings for The Carrie Diaries and ANTM this week aren't out yet. Last week TCD got a 0.3 and 0.94 million viewers while ANTM 0.4 and 0.99 million viewers.
Flag
As always I love your insight. I raise REIGN awareness all day every day!! I tell everyone this is the best new show of the season. Grassroots people. Overall I loves this episode. I love strong Mary, the brothers working together, and Francis being brave but still feeling the consequences of killing someone. I love these characters! I love this show. (PS Bash + Lola = no bueno).
Flag
I'm really glad I watched this on your recommendation. :) My friend and I actually had a long discussion about how marriage was pretty much purely political at this point in history, making the 'I want to be your mistress' subplot historically accurate. Marry your wife and love your mistress; what a confusing convention. XD But it made for good discussion.

So Lola's a terrible nurse and a rape apologist. Can we bus her out of the castle for a better character?
Flag
Staff
YES thank you give Lola the old heave ho! Like, heave that ho out of there!
Flag
how fantastic was this episode?!?! in love with this show.
Flag
I gave it a high rating on IMDB hope that helps. Please let this show go on I love it! Scenery, hot guys, costumes, hot guys, music A1, hot guys & oh yeah hot guys! lol
Flag
In my opinion the writers could/should have managed to keep Tomas around a little longer longer (at least a couple of episodes). I mean. They could have used him to shake things up a bit (which they sort of did, for 2 minutes) and they could have made him the villain without turning him into a sociopath. His behaviour wasn't at all uncommon, in the 16th century mentality (if nothing, it made him more 16th-century-like than most of the characters, with the notable exception of king Henry), but it felt kind of forced. One day he's so romantic and charming (and hot, I'm with you on this) and the next he turns into a sociopathic monster without any warning? I get conniving and ruthless, but the guy turned out to be nuts!

Kenner is totally going to get it from Bash's mum. The woman looked like trouble (trying not to use the B* word), and I can't wait to see that! (Kenner is an interesting character but I sort of dislike her). Oh, and Catherine. Can't wait to see the look on her face.

Loved the yellow and grey dress (less anachronistic, more royalty-ish), but the huntress dress was stunning!

Lola looks and sounds more like the girl who's just a friend, rather than girlfriend material. And the constant comparison with Mary doesn't do her any good. So NO WAY I want to see him Bashionate about her. (Btw, team Bash!)

I truly hope we can see a lot more of Reign, and I'm starting to hope some slight history-altering changes will be made, given what really happened in a few months (if they made Henry VIII's lifelong events happen in just a few years, I don't see why not delay the inevitable a teeny tiny bit)...
More+
Flag
Just to add Bash and I can never remember her name just friends nothing more please
Flag
I love this episode DEATH TO TOMAS he is an a-hole. I'm now starting to enjoy the developing relationship between Francis and Mary and it seems like Bash and ???? Can't remember her name might have some thing it was nice the scenes were natural and not forced. Also considering that Bash is a bustard son of the kill the bond between the 2 brothers is strong. Maybe it was just me but I got the heebie Jebbies when Clarissa was under Mary's bed. This show is going so strong I hope that it gets a second season
Flag
How do whipping boys get paid? By the slap? By the hour?

Poor Lola, always losing out to Mary. First, her beloved Colin dies after getting rapey with Mary. Then this week she couldn't even put on her Narnia costume to the ball coz Mary got to wear the archer costume herself.

I wonder if they've cast the role of Clarissa already. Or do they just go around set taking turns putting the bag over their heads? "This week, you be Clarissa.. no you be Clarissa.. no you!"
Flag
what WAS under the bed!! I have no idea what I was looking at
Flag
It's a girl wearing a burlap sac with eyeholes on her head. Creepy little girl.
Flag
That was Clarissa, the friendly castle "ghost" and Mary's secret best friend.
Flag
I don't see a face in the pic that's there...
Flag
The eyes are there. Here's a cropped pic with the eye in the middle. She blinks before the end of the episode.

Flag
OHHHH!! I SEE IT! K thanks!
Flag
I'm glad that's just a screen shot and not a gif of Clarissa blinking, that was creepy as!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Well after that review I now want to watch it, that and I had no idea Megan Follows was in it. Big fan in my day
Flag
Staff
Anne of Avonlea is everything.
Flag
... Is Kenner going to get it from Bash’s mom?
Most definitiely.. IF she ever get's back from her shopping trips. Last time we saw her was in episode 1 right?

... Tomas: too sexy to be a sociopath in your opinion, or just in mine?
Just in yours. But poor Teo Tomas, they keep maiming him in the leg before killing him.

Definitely the archer dress. That was hot.

... Lola and Bash: awful pairing/should be destroyed?
They'd make better friends than lovers. Though I foresee Lola's jealousy returning when Lola realizes the man she's into is into Mary, again.

... Will you take any steps this week to raise Reign awareness?
I already have and will continue to.

... How long do you think Reign will last?
A good long while, Long may she Reign!
Flag
That dress was amazing this show has a great soundtrack and amazing wardrobe
Flag
Staff
Frances & Bash, coming soon to TNT?
Flag
Medieval lawyers mediating wars and land disputes between kings and countries while slumming it out in a posh French castle? Sign me up!
Flag
Seriously, that should be like a thing. Go pitch that!
Flag
First of all Bashion (my new fave word) and rapscallion Hardy Boys hahahha
Also Reign was up yesterday in the ratings.

The "Katniss" dress I think was my favorite.
"U're a true queen, a queen that any king would kill for" - Francis (absolutely swoon worthy line) I love him with Mary there are adorable together, I agree the painting making Europe think he was a dwarf comment was hilarious.

Tomas on Covert Affairs sexy, here a bastard I wanted to smack (especially when he called Mary his property). Yay for him being gone & you are right about the brotherly exchange mentioning killing is wrong. This show is a lot more mature than expected.

I can't wait to see how Queen & Bash's mom react to Kenner's new "mistress" status. Bash & Lola I am not sure yet if I like the idea of them being together.

What I don't get is Nostradamus's visions, when it seemed that Mary was going to leave for Portugal, his vision still showed Francis dying, maybe the Queen should realize that Mary may actually have nothing to do with it & protect her son in a different way?

Clarissa under the bed? Spooky!!
Reign is officially my fave new show along with Sleepy Hollow. Did you see the promo for next week? I was screaming at my screen (grrrr)
More+
Flag
If they still give out Emmys for Best wardrobe, Reign should win. It is the best looking show on television
Flag
I love this none-whiny badass heroine! Mary rules =).
Flag
Staff
She is the rare combination of thoughtful and proactive and fantastic prom gowns that I need in my life.
Flag
Yeah, I would watch this show for the dresses alone. :)
Flag
I have to admit each episode gets better and better. Now I'm hooked. Mary is tougher than she seems. Good show. I know it's just a show, but either the French royalties speaks damn good brit English or Mary and her entourage dishes French fries pretty well. Shante !
Flag
Actually, I think they said Simon was now the new envoy to Portugal, which is smart never a good idea to stay where someone threatened to cut off your head, even if they say they are sorry.
Flag
Staff
Oh yeah? So no more Simon? What a pity.
Flag
BASH BBASH BASH
oh, BASH
That is all
p.s. enjoying the hell out of this show!
Flag
I loved this review- so damn hilarious!

I adored this episode. First off, can Bash and Francis get a spinoff show where they team up and solve mysteries together? Love their cooperation and team work. The dynamic between the two is among my favourite of the show because they so obviously love, respect, and support each other. Throw in their good natured needling of one another? Amazing.

I cannot wait to see how this lover triangle plays out and how it impacts their dynamic. I hope eventually, Bash and his awesomeness makes his way to Lola. They had some nice easy chemistry in this episode. And as one of the few ladies in waiting who actually did some work for Mary this episode instead of getting her swerve on- I now sort of like her.

And Francis was awesome again in this episode. I love the concern he showed for Mary. He did everything he could to assure her safety. When it seems that they couldn't be together it had the effect of drawing them closer. How much did I love that archery scene where they couldn't keep their hands off each other and MARY was the one to suggest sneaking away. Get it Girl!

Loved the ultimate resolution of the situation- the king of Portugal gets to keep face after his county's attempt to swindle/undermine the french, and the french get to avoid the horrible fallout of the dauphin killing the son of the king of Portugal. Everyone keeps their mouth shut and everybody wins, especially Simon who after a few days of terror is making it rain with hush money.

I can't get over this amazing series. Mary is a smart, bold, and capable heroine. Each episode she grows less naive and more savvy. And Francis and Bash are drawn to her STRENGTH as much as her beauty. Peep Francis's face when she outfoxed his dad? He couldn't have been prouder of his girl.

Best dress: The Huntress outfit was so gorgeous I drooled.
How long will the show last: Hopefully it retains it's viewership and grows some more and gets one more season

I want a ghost best friend!

My question: Do the ladies in waiting actually do their jobs? All they do is gossip with Mary. Shouldn't they have roles/responsibilities or is being BFF the entirety of their position?

More+
Flag
I abosolutely love this show. It better not get canceled. Your review was lol hilarious. I would watch tnis sbow just for the fashion. I am glad that they developed Frances and Mary's relationship. I think this show gets better and better. It's quickly taking the place of OUAT for my fantasy/sappy love story habit.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:30 pm
    Judge Judy
    NEW
    CBS
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm