A Reign Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

Reign S01E11: "Inquisition"

Verily I say unto thee, DANG! “Inquisition” unmasked Clarissa at long last and turned Reign’s wistful, romantic, vaguely haunted teen drama into a full-on gothic soap opera. Are there even other days in the week anymore?! They are gray, bloodless, mirthless mirrors compared to the sumptuous twists and turns in the rich tapestry of insanity and visceral intoxication that we call Reign.

“Inquisition” picked up almost exactly where we left off last week: Bash and Mary fretting over a temporary tattoo on a baby’s foot.

Catherine de Medici’s wealthy family barged in on her carb binge...

...to let her know that thanks to their money and connections in Rome, Henry would not be able to annul their marriage. He had no choice but to kill Catherine: You’re welcome, baby. Also they’d kindly brought a chopping block so she could practice stretching her neck out. Her family seems kind of cold to me, huh? Although their taste in statement jewelry is revelatory!

P.S. Kathryn Howard, fifth wife of King Henry VIII, did practice setting her 17-year-old head on the chopping block the day before her own beheading, ordered by her furious 51-year-old husband. AND guess who played Kathryn Howard’s lover, Thomas Culpepper, on The Tudors? None other than BASH!!!

Ah yes, Torrance Coombs be no stranger to period costumes. Anyhoo, pushed to this extremity, Henry has been driven to accuse Catherine of adultery with Sexy Nostradamus, probably because of his ill-chosen and quite provocative official title, “Sexy Nostradamus: The Sexiest Seer of Fronce Who Sees Himself in Your Pants Wink Wink and Also Court Surgeon.” To this end Henry has brought in a prosecutor, a longtime enemy of Catherine’s, Viscount Richard de la Croix, who insists on tugging her pigtails and calling her “an Italian mule” and has also turned to Kenna to help him fabricate a sex scene betwixt Catherine and Sexy Nostradamus. He needs Kenna’s sexpertise because obviously she is the randiest girl in the land and while the other ladies at court keep referring to “virtue” and “marital acts” Kenna does with locker room talk what Taco Bell does with meat and cheese: makes it real spicy then throws it all over the place.

Which is right around when Catherine saw the pagan baby Mary was hustling off toward a convent and noticed the rune on its heel. Suddenly she saw an option that didn’t involve a grim executioner in a leather balaclava: She’d bring down Bash and then Francis would have to be reinstated, and then Henry couldn’t annul their marriage, or something. Basically it boiled down to Catherine and Mary openly hate-whispering that they were fully at war and it was a race to see who could bring who down first! A total Evil Queen-Off!! 

Catherine took a detour to woo the art world and was accosted by Clarissa in a sculpture studio run by someone extremely into sculpting butts. 

The castle ghost was no ghost, but a girl! Catherine had no choice but to hasten to Nostradamus’s cell to hear all about how the castle’s favorite phantasm was actually a corporeal mole person. Apparently a certain baby with a distinctive birth mark had arrived “In the Year of the Great Storms” (I love that. Oh I love that!) and Nostradamaus’s dad had practiced primitive plastic surgery on its face and welp, it didn’t go to well. 

HA! Too amazing for words. 

So while the Medicis quite literally racked the Court Babysitter to figure out where the pagan baby was being held, Catherine and Henry got REAL with each other. Like TMI real. Like married-couple-keeping-the-bathroom-door-open, we-been-married-long-enough-I-want-to-chop-your-head-off real.  Like he talked about that time she infertility-shamed him by bringing in “quack doctors” to help her get pregnant: Guys this is actually true, it took Catherine de Medici 10 years to start having kids and according to no less an authority than Wikipedia, “Catherine tried every known trick for getting pregnant, such as placing cow dung and ground stags' antlers on her ‘source of life’ and drinking mule's urine.” Which sounds like some pagan mess to me. Also she treated Henry “like a stud horse” but ultimately I don’t hear him complaining because the upshot was that he asked her to let her hair down and ride him like a surfboardt... surfboardt. You know, there are few things that make me more happy than marital romance rekindlings, and this was genuinely sweet. Nevermind they’re both sociopathic monster people who kill indiscriminately to further their petty aims: They’re also keeping the embers burning after all these years. Good for them.

Meanwhile Bash and Mary had gone to check in on the family of the broken Court Babysitter, and the family lived in what I can confidently call a hovel. Bitch had one door and one window and that was that. No fire exits, no floor, no second room. When Bash’s super-powered hearing picked up the sound of horse hooves on damp ground several miles away, there was no way for them to escape, he and Mary could only hide, quivering, in the grain pantry.

OMG, this grain pantry scene! Catherine’s Baby Snatcher Guard came in and started poking swords through this grain pantry and skewered Bash’s arm and he didn’t make a peep, he just knocked some grain over! It was so intense! The wound foley, especially, was so intense! But luckily the Baby Snatcher Guard was like “Eh, lemme just snatch that baby” and went on his way despite probably having a LOT of blood on his sword.

And then came the scene that made me gasp like a Victorian!! A grown folks love triangle!!

Yes, the very man meant to prosecute Catherine had loved her all along! When she claimed she was pining for her husband (as he sat with Diane on his lap in front of the German Ambassador! Oh HELL no!) she was actually having illicit relations with this dude and BEARING HIS CHILD!

Oh yes: As the woman who was to raise pagan baby in a lightless, floorless hovel was explaining to Mary and Bash, Catherine had borne la Croix’s baby, marked with a distinctive facial birthmark! (CLARISSA!!!) And so of course they took her on a vacation from her hovel to testify before the King and the Prosecutor.

Well, WHOOPS, because turns out the Prosecutor also had a tiny port wine stain under his beard and Henry put all the pieces together and TO HELL with his reawakened sex life with Catherine: She'd had his best friend’s baby! How was Catherine going to possibly escape this one?! Luckily, she had an ace up her dress.

Okay, so: WHERE exactly was she keeping this? Did she have a brocade cargo pocket in her underskirt? So many more questions to ask about this moment. Catherine pulled out a witchy looking doorstop from I don’t even know where and declared Bash and his mother Wiccans and smashed the witchy piggy bank on the floor.

Then she pulled up what looked like a hank of hair from a bathroom drain and called it Diane’s soul. BURN!!!

This moment was completely amazing. And just when I thought the madness had peaked, King Henry walked over to the guard, asked if Catherine had truly found that soul jar in Diane’s Special Things Drawer, and when the guard said yes Henry CHOPPED HIS HEAD.

I don’t know the last time I saw so many interesting, perplexing, and grotesque things happen on TV that fast. American Horror Story? True Blood? This scene was infinitely delightful. The entertainment escalated in a geyser of pure, visceral enjoyment. Anyway, Henry was like “PSYCH I am super cool with Diane being a Wiccan she told me about it already I’m 100 percent down.” And Catherine was like “Well, then, I am getting the h-e-double-hockey-sticks out of here.” 

Luckily all was not lost: Catherine’s cold, creepy family had a new gift for her in light of Henry’s decision to murder her for adultery: a mostly sucked-down Gobstopper.

Wait I’m sorry it was an old-time poison pill. Then a teenager sat down in front of a mirror. 

WAIT that waas Catherine. Gosh didn’t she look insanely young in this scene? For a moment I was like “Aylee?!” and then I was like DANG. (TELL ME UR EYE CREAM SECRETZ.) But basically Catherine got her hair tight and prepared the Fizzy Bath Bomb from hell while Mary and Bash celebrated their victory over Catherine with some bloody oaths. Bash recklessly committed outright treason by swearing he would kill Henry if Mary wanted him to, and she was like scared of him but also... very much into it. Basically Francis’s “family loyalty” and “reason” and “grounded, objective reasoning” were so 2013 and she is opening her heart in 2014 to Pagan rites and sweet bashionate romance. 

And finally, a chance to relax in her indoor Royal Hot Tub. I’m so jealous. One of these would make everything worth it—the Middle Ages, the lack of wifi, the incredible pressures of being a monarch—just to lean back in this ginormous aboveground indoor pool and chill, you know? 

Just when we were all vicariously enjoying that tub, Catherine came in with the Fizzy Bath Bomb from hell! Would Mary die a slow, relaxing, possibly aromatic death? 

Just when it looked certain she was about to faint into the tub, Clarissa came in and politely turned out the lights before saving her. (Honestly, so thoughtful!) Clarissa was like “Let me knock out the lights so I don’t scare you while I’m saving your life” and then once Mary was okay she tried to help HER MOM Catherine. Who of course rejected her completely.

Ohhhh Clarissa you are too wonderful. She’s even more delightfully Gothic than I’d dared hoped! Look at that tufty hair! Oh I am going to make this my new desktop image. Clarissa is GLORIOUS, with her cheek prosthetic and joker lip. She’s actually not even that disfigured, she’s pretty cute, maybe because Katie Boland (who plays Clarissa) is so insanely gorgeous? Check it out she’s like Emma Stone and Zooey Deschanel had a baby:

Anyway. Mary has been firmly (and literally) pushed into the arms of Bash with this direct attempt on her life by Catherine, Clarissa is explained but still at large and now officially part of the royal family, Catherine is still on the chopping block, Henry approves of pagans, and Mary is kind of “into” crazy. Everything we thought we knew is being turned inside-out upside-down and I love it.  This series has gone from being highly recommendable to true appointment television.

QUESTIONS:

... Is Kenna the Carrie Bradshaw of Fronch court?

... If a man swore to kill his father for you: turn on, turn off?

... Just what exactly was Diane’s soul?

... Where was Catherine stowing Diane’s soul ball exactly?

... Clarissa and Catherine: Will they ever enjoy a hug/forehead touch/mother daughter makeover day?

... How many times did you gasp during this episode?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/23/2016

Season 3 : Episode 15

Next Episode

AIRS ON 6/6/2016

Season 3 : Episode 16

284 Comments
Comments (328)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
So Nostradamus is alive and well? Wow these characters just bounce back whether its from long deep palm cuts to BEING STABBED IN THE JUGULAR NBD...yet Kena gets kicked around a little and for the next episode is all bruised and still recovering lol..This show haha ..
Flag
Francis was 15 when he became king! I think you should just read Wikipedia and save yourself from the emotional turmoil...
Flag
I really want Mary to be with Bash. I like him so much more then Francis... Yet history says Mary ends up with Francis. My only hope is that she keeps Bash as her lover :(
Flag
yes but pretty sure Francis died like 2 years after their marriage so Bash is still a possibility ;) *fingers crossed* lolll
Flag
I hinted at the queen being Clarissa's mother earlier, though I didn't get the circumstances right. Here it was very obvious by the look of queen's face when Nostradamus mentioned the mark.

I really liked the lover character, I hope they don't manage to kill him. This series excels in great characters, I've been watching Tudors just now and while it is a quality show, I just don't really like the characters in it. On Reign though, oh wow, so many tasty, wonderful characters.

Clarissa was beautiful even with the spider on her face. And I think Catherine didn't actually turn her down so much as tried to get ther to leave before the guards entered. Could be wrong but I think Catherine wasn't really that appalled, just guilty and concerned.
Flag
Please help me come up with music suggestions for Mary and Bash. Please post here
Flag
Far out. This EPISODE. Can I just say this episode just kept on giving, I thought it was already crazy but then when Henry went and CHOPPED THAT GUYS HEAD OFF! Like whaaaaat?! and Clarissa being Catherine's daughter- that is crazy. Then finally she goes and tries to kill Mary. Epic, Epic EPIC and well deserved of a season renewel. Congrats reign!
Flag
Ok I binge watched the show THANK YOU LILY i seriously think the show is being renewed cause of you its so great to see you so into a show because the show is delivering! (take note ouat & true blood) your reviews have been HYSTERICAL, and i have to commend you for going 11 episodes without making 20+ dif "bosom friend" jokes #willpower (though id love to see what you come up with in the future haha
Flag
The article says that Reign viewership has grown 8% since it's soft Pilot Premiere! Encouraging!
Flag
Just announced.. Reign got renewed for another season!!!!
Flag
I was very confused this episode. Where did Nostradamus come from? Wasn't he stabbed in the neck by a crazy ghost? Even if the neck wound wasn't fatal (looked pretty bad to me) how did anyone find him? He was in his super secret dungeon room.

Also, that scene with Catherine in her mirror, the switch to Mary, the whole chopping block thing, gave me chills. History Spoiler, Mary Queen of Scots was beheaded for treason against Elizabeth. That whole scene gave me chills because in a few years, Mary will be sitting exactly where Catherine is now, getting herself ready for her execution. I don't know if that whole effect was intentional, but it was very well done either way.
Flag
i too am tiptoeing into withdrawal so i did the only thing that made sense. which is rewatch all the episodes. only logical thing i could think of
Flag
Sigh. I'm going through Reign withdrawals lol And it hasn't even been a week! Anyway, here are some other Reign related things I'm enjoying to pass the time.
I found this Pintrest board I like with Reign music & fan vids called Reign Music Frary and Mash I also found two fan vids I keep watching over and over.

Here's the Frary one.
Here's the Mash one.

Enjoy!
Flag

Is Clarissa going to betray Mary now that she knows Catherine is her mom? She already stopped Catherine from dying/ killing herself in the bathroom.

Pagan marks do seem to heal fast. The baby still had it before she left and doesn't anymore when she comes back. It was what less then 12 hours later?

First when I saw this I thought 'Yes, Marry. Smart girl, switching babies'. But then it didn't get revealed, I was so sure when she knew Catherine was back roaming the castle that she set the whole mark reveal up and actually had an other baby taken away. To sent Catherine on a wild goose chase so she couldn't plan other things. But no.

Maybe I didn't pay attention but shouldn't Henry have know that Catherine was pregnant? I guess she could have hid it under those dresses.

On the bright side (for Henry) she outright tried to kill Marry a Queen (who they've got a treaty with) so he's got an acceptable reason to kill his wife.

Flag
Probably switched babies... remember she was caring for a few children
Flag
I believe that Clarissa is still gonna be on Mary's side. She has no reason to dislike Mary whereas Catherine yelled at Clarissa and told her that Clarissa should be dead and to get away from her. The look on Clarissa's face is so sad.

My understanding was that Henry knew Catherine was pregnant because it was assumed that the baby was Henry's, but it wasn't! Nostradamus' father took the baby away right away and I'm sure that Catherine and Henry were both told that the baby had died. I'm sure that Catherine did not let Henry the baby after she was born, either, as Henry would have seen the birthmark and knew she wasn't his.
Flag
Please don't kill Catherine. She's just too good to be dead. Imagine a superhero without a villain, wouldn't that be boring? Mary is nothing without Catherine, so don't kill her. (Not just yet)
Flag
Megan Follows is AMAZING and this episode proved it. And I want to look like that in 20 years too!!!

PD. I want Francis back on the show. What´s going on??? :(
https://twitter.com/corleoneslannis
Flag
He's supposed to be back on the next new episode-Feb 27. I suppose he'll help look for his brothers who have been kidnapped.
Flag
I want to know how nostradamus isn't stabbed anymore? did that all happen in a vision, and it's going to happen later? cuz that dude was left for dead!
Flag
I love this show, but it is irritating when they skip over stuff like that.
Flag
Isn't it though? Just like Mary and Bash being wet for a week! LOL Or in this eppy, having Bash sliced by the sword in the closet and Bash is wearing a bandage around his rib area later on while talking to wet nurse' mother but there was NO BLOOD on the Medici Swordsman!!!

It's funny, it's irritating but for me all good in the end b/c we aren't bogged down with time wasting "fixes/explanations" for these inconsistencies. ((shrug))
Flag
So is the king just done with Kenna? I thought he promised to find her a suitable husband anyway or was that all thrown out when she became his official mistress? Mary warned her to be careful but she had to be smart mouthed and say "I only ask that you not assume I'm a fool". Betcha she wishes she hadn't put that out there. Should've listened to your friends.

Is the king going to find out that Diane set it up for Count Vincent to come to the castle? How will Mary feel if she finds out Diane is the reason she was almost raped and Kenna was beat up? mineta, I'm counting on you to keep me in the loop!
Flag
Oooooo! I forgot about that! I wanna know too! Will Henry find out how far Diane went to get Bash legitimized? My guess is YES but probably after they're married!!! (This is not a spoiler btw, just my own speculation).

And Mary, I can't wait to see scenes between her and Bash' mom!!! I think part of the reason Mary is able to get over Francis so quickly (assuming she really is over him) is b/c of his murderous mother. I can't imagine having feelings for a guy who's mom repeatedly tries to kill me! I think all my feelings for such a man would fly out the window, but maybe that's just me? I'm curious to know what anyone else thinks!

More speculation: I think Diane is going to LOOOOVE Mary. As she should b/c Mary chose her son, and caused him to be the Regent (for now) and King of France/Scotland (later). But I wonder how Mary will feel about her? Diane is the original Pagan. She put Francis, the little Princes and Mary and her ladies lives all in danger with her plot for Count Vincent to come to the Castle while Henry was away the first time! Plus Mary thinks that she tried to poison Kenna! I can't wait until they're on screen together!

If anyone from the show reads this (fat chance I know) PLEASE BRING BACK DIANE DePortier, I miss the character! She's been in Paris for far too long!
More +
Flag
There's a discussion thread about love triangles for this lovely Reign community where a couple of people have brought up the topic of slut shaming Mary. I wanted to say something but didn't want to go off topic so I'll say it here, where it's all part of the discussion.

I don't understand why I'm not supposed to call Mary out on her bs. If a guy went from his fiance to her best friend, we would be screaming for his head. Mary literally traded one brother for the other. That is not only nasty (considering her and Francis have had sex) it has caused problems between two brothers who, despite being on different social levels, were close. How is that forgivable? But since it works in favor of the Bash fans we're supposed to stand behind Mary when had this been a man or happened to someone we know, it wouldn't be ok. It's not about slut shaming Mary it's about that being despicable no matter who it is. Going from one sibling to the next needs to shamed. It has nothing to do how many lovers she has but who the lovers are.

One commenter said it was Mary's decision and not Francis' because she is the queen and she did it for her country. The Bash fans used Francis' decisions made for his country and not Mary, against him. Again, it's ok for Mary to do something for her country but when Francis does it he doesn't love Mary the way Bash does. Seems that everything Mary does is ok as long as all roads lead to Bash. She dumps him without taking a minute to find another solution. Then she immediately moves on without so much as second thought about Francis.

Mary is not in the boat of betrayer alone. To me, Bash is ten times worse than Mary. You don't do to your brother what he has done. Openly flirting with her. Kissing her. Loving your brother's fiance. It's not forgivable. He didn't even express remorse to Francis about taking everything away from him because in the end he got exactly what he really wanted, which was Mary. He's been close to his brother all this time but Mary is there 15 minutes and suddenly she's all that matters.

Francis said that he sees a happy future with her and he would give anything to spend the rest of his life with her no matter how short that life is and all she chooses to see is the future without him. He showed loyalty and concern for Bash even after he realized how much Bash cared for Mary. Mary and Bash aren't worthy of his love or loyalty because when someone is that down for you, you take a few weeks to mourn the passing of that relationship (both from Mary and Bash) not just jump right into how you feel for the new one.

To me she needs to be shamed. As does Bash. Because their decisions have torn a family apart.

More+
Flag
OMG!!!!! Believe me when I say that I say this with nothing but love.

But you are driving me FREAKING crazy!!!!

There are two points that you keep bringing up, that I feel like I've tried to explain a few times throughout the thread. And every time you argue back that your feelings about Mary are justified, you don't seem to address them.

1. Slut shaming. I'm one of the people that called you out on this. I stand behind it, even though you disagree. You've called Mary a "skank" because of her (IMO) rather chaste interactions with Bash. But I've yet to see you call Francis anything similar for his repeated "indiscretions" since Mary arrived. You can't have it both ways. If Mary is a skank, then what is Francis? That's not rhetorical, please tell me.

2. You keep harping on the fact that Mary chose his brother, over all the other men on God's green earth. HIS BROTHER!!! She NEEDS to marry the NEXT king of France period. Once she had rejected Francis, the choices were slim. Bash, Henry, or one of Francis's little brothers. I personally think she chose well (Henry is kinda creepy and who wants to put their husband down for a nap with a baabaa every day at 2? - ugh)

She didn't want Bash, she wanted to go home. But when she felt backed up against a wall, and wanted to save Bash's life and Francis', she put the whole crazy and ya probably not that well thought out plan into motion.

The Bash fans used Francis' decisions made for his country and not Mary, against him. Again, it's ok for Mary to do something for her country but when Francis does it he doesn't love Mary the way Bash does.

I'm a Bash fan, I've never said Francis doesn't love Mary the way Bash does. In fact I think they love her in the very same way.

Seems that everything Mary does is ok as long as all roads lead to Bash. She dumps him without taking a minute to find another solution. Then she immediately moves on without so much as second thought about Francis.

I could get into the difference between a man/king and a woman/queen in this time, the difference between making decisions from a position of power and position of weakness, but I somehow don't think you'll agree with me in the end.

So I'll just say this. When Francis told Mary that their countries came first (the first time), he did it to push her away (Position of Power). He did it because he either didn't want to fall in love with her or didn't want her to fall in love with him. He had been groomed to be King to put the needs of his country before his personal happiness.

When Mary chose to marry Bash instead of Francis, she did it because she felt trapped by a crazy prophecy and the demands of Henry, Catherine and her mother (Position of Weakness). She had been groomed her entire life to marry the future king of France and save her country from the English.

How is the second not as tragic as the first?

I understand your disappointment in Mary's choice. I could understand it more if you weren't so caught up on the "brother angle". I just don't understand why you have no sympathy for Mary and yet can praise Francis.

More +
Flag
Well I guess you understand how I feel then because every single time you try to act like getting with his brother, on ANY level is OK, it drives me crazy. If you can't see that doing that without giving Francis a chance to come up with another option, even a couple of hours, is skanky then we don't ever need to address each other again. Just apply that to real life. Not even to your own life but your friend's/sibling's life. The person they are engaged to is seen kissing their own sibling....what would you call that? It takes it to another level by it being the sibling. That's not just being a cheater that is being skanky. Francis cheating with Olivia was by no means ok but still not on the level of what she did. You can stand behind the fact that you think I'm slut shaming her and I stand behind calling her out.

Honestly when people talk of Francis hurting Mary's feeling with Oliviagate a small part of that is on Mary. He went to find her after their argument and saw her and Bash kissing. The kind of guy Francis is he would have wanted to make it up to her and probably would have shipped Olivia off anyway. Olivia told the queen after the boat festival that Francis was still talking of sending her away. He made some mistakes but he always made up for them in a big way.

2. The key phrase in your sentence is "Once she rejected Francis". Exactly. Without so much as a modicum of respect to let him have a say so in his own future.

If she really did want to go home and didn't want Bash she sure has a funny way of showing it. How many times has she asked about Francis? Even to her friends...not once. She didn't even have the decency to tell him what she had proposed to the king. She told her friends first. Yeah, that sounds like she was only thinking of his safety. And there's that also. She didn't think what this would mean for his immediate future and she certainly isn't worried about now because she's too busy opening her heart to Bash. No need to think about the repercussions to Francis' siblings because now she has to focus on Bash.

3. Positions of power have absolutely nothing to do with how she moved on emotionally, so fast. The only respect I give to Bash is that at least he confessed that he really did it to have her. She in turn tells him that he doesn't have to be Francis. Because who would want someone that wants to make you a better person by accepting you as an equal and wants to rule together instead of like most kings then were doing?

Francis admitted in the first episode that he didn't/couldn't fall in love with her because they might be split apart if better options became available for either of their countries. But at this point he is NOT in a position of power because his father decides if/when they wed. By this time it was already to late because he was falling in love even though he was trying not to.

4. It would be tragic if she hadn't just got out of the bed with Francis with his talk of "you've been alone in your struggles your entire life. That's over now." I can understand her feeling like she's been backed into a corner. But if this is the man she was going to rule, at least, two countries with she should have put more faith in him to help figure something out. She didn't. She jumped the gun and then forgot all about him. Quickly. I agree that Mary and Bash belong together. They both moved onto each emotionally quite quickly. Francis deserves someone that is going to treat him as the equal he's willing to treat them as. Not another person that will make decisions about his life without consulting him. Or a brother that is constantly flirting and falling in love with his fiance. And don't think she didn't seek Bash out on purpose after her fight with Francis. Lola had already warned her that Bash had feelings for her and to be careful.

5. I have no sympathy for Mary because she has yet to even acknowledge that Francis exist nevertheless was just madly in love with him a three weeks prior. I can praise Francis because despite being manipulated by both of his parents and his brother saltin his game, he took the hand was underhandedly dealt him with dignity. He even wished them well. What did they do? Started exploring their feelings for each immediately. Had it taken a little time where they gradually came together it would be different. As of right now I have no respect for Mary or Bash.
More +
Flag
Ugh I gave you a thumbs up by accident. My bad, don't agree with your points.
Flag
WOW. Great write up and analysis! I'm actually having to fight the urge to vote up your response :D ((smiles)) While many of the points you make re: Mary are valid I still don't think this makes her worthy of being called the names you've called her though. I'm not joining forces with Flitslady above so please don't lump me in with her. (@Flints lady, sorry but while I agree with your general point, I disagree with how you defend it) My defence is different and goes like this:

Mary is 15 betrothed and not allowed to date. She wants love in her life so she tries to create that with Francis. She's betrothed to him since childhood so she pins every imagined emotion a girl has re: love on her idea of him. Imo, this guides all her actions for episodes 1-4.

Their love is formed, as Olivia called it, from "a perceived political need." Both Mary and Francis put their country first-before themselves and before each other. Bash was drawn to Mary from the start. Staring at her while she danced--drinking in the sight of her--searching for her dog, going into the dangerous Blood Wood (the first time) to find Colin simply b/c Mary asked him to...

Bash told her that "her presence brings light" and although that could be called flirting, I think Bash was just speaking honestly from his heart. Mary, with her luminous, pure, benevolent and unsuspecting nature (before she figured out who in the castle was against her) brought light into Bash's otherwise precarious and somewhat dark world-he and his mother LIVED by the favour of the current King and had to always be mindful of what might happen if they were to lose that favour.

So Bash was kind to Mary, in words and in actions. He couldn't hide the intense pleasure/happy feeling in his eyes whenever he looked at her (sigh) and all these looks and kindnesses created a "thirst" within Mary for Bash. But Mary can't date and is forbidden from him. So something resembling feelings are there but not formed and are easily pushed way down below the surface as she focuses on duty and Francis-as they are one and the same and he is the man she's imagined as her loving husband since childhood.

In 'Left Behind' when Mary and Francis make up while the castle is under siege by the Count. Francis tells Mary that he's sorry about Olivia and that he was with Olivia to make him "forget her for a little while." Forget that (1) "HE COULDN'T HAVE HER." This is really important b/c after that Mary is (2) nearly raped and after that she goes to Francis' room mad that he put himself in danger for her, they end up in bed but instead of stopping Francis like she did the first time while engaged to Tomas she (3) gives Francis the go ahead.

These three events imo are related. And to me says that Frary's love just wasn't that deep to begin with and for that reason, I don't think anyone should be trying to shame her for moving on emotionally at her current pace.

When she gave it up to Francis it wasn't b/c of deep love. I think it was because she
1. "loved him enough," in her 15 year old naive way, to sleep with him.
2. Thought: "why not? I have to and want to marry him anyway"
3. She wanted to control who "got" her virginity seeing as how it was just almost forcibly raped away from her.
4. On some level, she even probably thought sexing Francis would make Francis loyal to her and not turn to women like Olivia to forget that he couldn't have her anymore as stated by FRANCIS HIMSELF!!! In Mary's mind sleeping with him takes away Francis' need / justification to cheat on her.

Sad but real and well written. Kudos to the writing team! Showing mainly the happy side but with the under current of something sad when Mary asks about whether what they did was right and Francis saying he hopes she's pregnant. These are not the post coital conversations of pure epic love.

If you look at it this way-which is the way I look at it (lol) Then add in all the trauma of Ailee dying, believing the prophecy, running away, jumping off cliffs, putting herself in the complete trust of Bash etc. for a whole week!!! (which = an eternity at age15) plus the time (probably days) it took to travel back to court. You might see that Mary's love for Francis just wasn't epic.

Due to the connection with Bash from the beginning, the time on the run and relying on him completely. Opening her heart to him and doing nothing more than kiss and touch him tenderly wouldn't be hard emotionally at all!

The so-dubbed "quick emotional change" can be understood easily just like this. Her love for Francis, while real to her, simply wasn't epic love and her thirst for Bash never went away. It was just suppressed because she "had no recourse" and had to make the best of the 'societal cage' arranged marriages put women in at the time. Spending time with Bash, growing closer emotionally through conversation (Bash to Mary about his mom's legitimization plot and Mary to Bash about Catherine's crimes against her all being for the prophecy re: Francis) the suppressed thirst is breaking free little by little.

Always loving/caring for Francis there's just no need to plainly mourn on-screen for a non-epic love. The respectful thing to do for all involved is just take her time with Bash and that's basically what she's been doing.

As for the brothers thing, I think societal views were different back then. A woman would be betrothed to one man and the to his brother in often cases (i.e. if the man died or was an unsuitable match etc.) Women after being married to a man and having children for the fellow sometimes ended up married to the brother if the man died in battle for example. So I think it's a period thing.
More +
Flag
@thatstp Really? Wow! I guess this is another departure from history then... Or maybe Francis and Mary's love grows deeper and true by the end. Who knows? But I kind of wish you didn't tell me that! LOL somehow, it makes me enjoy everything with the triangle a little less :( I'm trying to stay away from history spoilers and only find out the true history once the entire series is over. On the basis of that one historical point, my Frary side is now in mourning :(
Flag
It's hard for me to respond from my phone so again I say this. We will never agree. Historically Mary loved Francis so much that she sent word to one of her counsel that she wished for her body to be sent back to France so she could slumber next to him for eternity. The writers destroyed her character for me. Whether I continue to watch or not I'm happy it was renewed.
Flag
every single time you try to act like getting with his brother, on ANY level is OK, it drives me crazy. If you can't see that doing that without giving Francis a chance to come up with another option, even a couple of hours, is skanky then we don't ever need to address each other again. Just apply that to real life. Not even to your own life but your friend's/sibling's life.

You want me to apply a situation that "happened" almost 400 years ago and was pretty a common occurrence back then to modern times? To what I would do today? This is a historical show, ya some shit was messed up back then, I'm not saying (and have never said) it's an ideal situation. Just that it's an understandable one. Also Francis had a couple of hours, he had a day actually.

Look I think it's fine that you're upset, it's an upsetting situation. I take issue with you branding her a slut because of it. But I see that we are never going to agree or even agree to disagree on this, so I'll stop arguing with you about it from here on.

If she really did want to go home and didn't want Bash she sure has a funny way of showing it. How many times has she asked about Francis?

Ummm, she took off on a horse. She only came back because Bash was arrested. How many times has she asked Bash if he really wants to go through with this? Read between the lines, people don't always say EXACTLY what they are thinking.

Honestly when people talk of Francis hurting Mary's feeling with Oliviagate a small part of that is on Mary. He went to find her after their argument and saw her and Bash kissing. The kind of guy Francis is he would have wanted to make it up to her and probably would have shipped Olivia off anyway. Olivia told the queen after the boat festival that Francis was still talking of sending her away. He made some mistakes but he always made up for them in a big way.

This is where you lost me. Part of that is on Mary? That's like saying when a man hits a woman, it was partly her fault because she was mouthing off.

You can forgive a man who has slept with two different women since Mary has arrived, and praise him for wanting to ship off the one that he used to get back at his fiancee. Oh he was gonna get rid of the woman he may have gotten pregnant anyway and felt kinda bad about it, so it's all good. What a fucking noble prince. All this is somehow forgivable for Saint Francis. Mary kissed Bash, so she clearly deserved what she got, never mind that he kissed Olivia as well, because he at least had the balls to admit it. I mean he'd already banged another woman at court and told Mary to basically "know her place" so why shouldn't he be applauded for coming clean? And yes that's me being sarcastic.

Francis admitted in the first episode that he didn't/couldn't fall in love with her because they might be split apart if better options became available for either of their countries. But at this point he is NOT in a position of power because his father decides if/when they wed. By this time it was already to late because he was falling in love even though he was trying not to.

YES, Francis was in a position of power. His marriage or lack of marriage does not affect his kingship or his country. He is not begging a country for support, or a wife. The only thing at stake was his feelings. That IS a position of power. If Mary doesn't marry the next king of France, she's completely fucked. That IS a position of weakness.

So I'm sure we've both now realized that we are never going to agree. I enjoy arguing. It can be fun. But I think our argument has run it's course. You seem adamant in your defence of labelling Mary a skank and yet glossing over Francis' failings. I tried to bring up multiple points that support the idea that she deserves the benefit of the doubt. I've suggested reasons why Francis' betrayal is very different from Mary's. I've put aside my all encompassing (like woah) crush on Bash and tried to be fair and diplomatic. But you don't seem to be hearing me. You seem unable to see Francis as anything other than a victim and Mary as a whore. You clearly don't see things the way I do, and that's cool.

I have to admit, I can't understand why you can forgive Francis' "indiscretions" and brand Mary with hers. Is it really just because Bash is Francis' half brother or something else? If you said Mary is a skank, but so is Francis maybe I could sorta understand, but as it is I'm confused.

Anyways, I won't call you out in the comments anymore. I'm tying this argument to a boat and letting it sail away. :)

Have a good one!

More +
Flag
@Flintslady No worries. I didn't mean to really call you out per se (Sorry!) I just didn't want my new found friend, thatstp, to feel like we were both angrily ganging up on her. I'm glad we can all agree or disagree and still remain friends (smile) **group hug**
Flag
@mineta Scuse my swearing and exasperation :) Someone (me) is cranky before she's had at least 2 cups of coffee.

As much as @thastp and I may disagree, there is genuinely no animosity on my part. What kinda world would it be if we all agreed all the time?

#allLove See y'all next week, when it's Francis Vs Bash round 2. Ding, ding ding!!!
Flag
I can't read all of this while I'm working but I will say this: we don't agree and never will.
Flag
Yes, Francis did sleep with Olivia but we don't know for a fact that he slept with Natalia. Natalia was waiting in his room and started to lower her blouse down her shoulder. They only showed Francis looking at her not touching or kissing her. Then when Mary knocked at his door, he opened it immediately and was fully clothed. So it's really only speculation that he slept with her with no evidence to support that.
Flag
Now THIS is the post I can get behind! (Minus the swearing/exasperation, I agree with all points made.
Flag
. He's been close to his brother all this time but Mary is there 15 minutes and suddenly she's all that matters. Well in the amount of time that passes in between episodes, Mary has been in France for months, which excluding , the time Mary spent at the castle as a child, is the same amount of time as Francis has.

I agree with your comments about their country's, Mary didn't give Francis to choose, she knew he would give up his life for her but in Mary's mind (crazy ass queen and sexy Nostradamus minds ) his death would not be for her but her fault . Something that could be prevented. An she knew about Nostradamus power before but being told a friend would die and then she dies in your arms? Who wouldn't run. To save his life, save herself from a lifetime of hating herself and to save Bash from his also crazy father? So do why you half too I guess, peoples lives are at stake.

Also Francis may have cared about his brother but what about his lucky bastard comment , like one of his first lines? Dick. Being all high and mighty when they get back com cutting down Colin? Sorry Bash you found him & saved are lives from the pagans in the woods, I get all the thanks though.dick. When Mary, makes some far points about Olivia being there, explaining how it makes her feel having her there and on " she's staying and that's final" you forget Francis, Mary is a queen. Dick.

An Mary always having to go too him , or reach out for any kind of close contact, in all the episodes including when they had sex. Francis almost got kidnapped and Mary almost raped and she has to go knocking on his door, we'll his page or that guy who heard " are you with someone? Mary there's one thing you need to understand kings do not answer to there wives " dick . When did Henry die and make Francis king.

Bash flirting with his brothers finance, kissing her. What about Francis, kissing other girls, flirting with them also having sex with them. Is so post to hurt Mary less because there not related to her?

If people in this show are going to start being shamed for the bad behaviour, there not going to start the Mary and Bash for sure. Crazy ass queen Catharine , yup trying to murder, dishonour (rape) , terrify and using peoples feelings for evil. Bad bad evil queen.
More +
Flag
But everything Mary does IS OK as long as all roads lead to Bash :P lol

I'm teasing you and pulling your leg but it's kind of true at the same time. Yes, Mary isn't criticized for putting country first while Francis is; double standard? No. Because when we (Mash fans and fans of both pairings) criticize Francis we're doing so in comparison to Bash-even if it isn't explicit. When compared to Bash, Francis' "country first" stand sucks the romantic life out of the pure delectable sweetness that otherwise would have been Frary. I suspect part of the reason Francis even slept with Olivia was so that he wouldn't give in to his sexual tension/needs with Mary and thereby politically cement the alliance through pregnancy risk or him trying do the right thing and promising marriage. Olivia even goaded him with this in one scene-she told him he needs to keep himself "open" for the sake of the country and not commit to Mary/Scotland as they're one and the same. She told him at other times that the man she admired always put his country first and heavily implied that by getting with Mary he'd be going back on that.

Imo, Francis' "country first" outlook is his downfall when it comes to Mary. Even when he told her that they "would deceive" Henry, allowing him to think they're going to go after England but not really do it --I don't think Mary believed him. I know I didn't. And would King Henry even need Mary to "agree" to lay claim to England? As a man and King couldn't he just wage war in her name once she was married to his Dauphin son?

I don't see Francis as strong enough to stop either of his parents (unlike Bash who would violently "cut down" "Henry" if Mary wants him too). I don' think Mary sees Francis as strong enough to win against his parents either. Mary's words at the end of this episode comes to mind: "I know exactly who he is and I have made the perfect choice because together we have killed you." I can't imagine how Francis would've handled such a situation. Can you?

Last, since I've ragged on Francis a lot, let me say some nice things about him too. I love that he's real. He's multi-facetted and we get to SEE him struggle with things unlike Bash who just "knows" ((chuckles)) what to do and when to do it. His super human hearing fits! lol I like that Francis is civilized and that while both his parents are dark or somewhat evil he's got a ,heart of gold tarnished only a little bit by the terrible pressures and things others in his life put him through.
More +
Flag
I am curious to see whose side Bash will take if Diane and Mary don't get along? After all, Diane, has already, although maybe not on purpose, set Mary up to be raped, if not killed, when she conspired with the Count to get rid of Francis and his brothers. Although Bash wasn't happy about it he really didn't stand up to her and tell her she had better never put Mary in danger again. I think both brothers are kind of "momma's boys."
Flag
Hmmm. You make a good point. I don't think either Bash or Diane knows about Mary's ordeal as a result of the Count's visit. In fact, this actually seems like one of the show's best kept secrets. Only Bash knows b/c he figured it out when the guards were"gentle" with him and confronted his mother about it. As far as everyone else is concerned neither Diane or Bash weren't even in the castle!

I can't see Bash bring this up as he has no reason too and is loyal to his momma. For drama's sake though, I wish Diane would be exposed ((evil laugh)) :D

Unless... maybe the show is implying that this loose end is already tied up? Bash told Mary while on the run that his mom tried to have him legitimized and failed which was his reason for leaving. Are we supposed to assume he told her the WHOLE story??? ((shrug))
Flag
@thatstp The servants were all led out by Francis. Only Greer and Lieth remained behind to keep serving. The servants wouldn't know the plan for Mary + LIW to distract the count, all they'd know is that they along with the queen weren't out of the castle with them. Kenna being a blabber mouth? I think only when it suits her but who knows?
Flag
Honestly I don't see how neither Diane or Bash doesn't know exactly what happened that night. The servants were there and we all know they gossip like hell. They know Francis got them out of the castle while Mary and her ladies distracted the count and his men. They know Francis went back in to get Mary. Kenna is in the infirmary after her beatdown so everyone in the castle knows what happened to her. Pretty sure it wouldn't take much for Kenna to talk about Mary almost getting raped. But it'll probably come to light when Olivia returns.
Flag
There are four corners to consider,

I think Bash is blinded by the thought of Mary being able to love him if he obeys her like a puppy. I get you're point that they're being irrational with their decisions, not being able to consider "What would Francis feel". Also selfish (add to that). But he's just a boy with boiling levels of testosterone. He's basically just taking all the opportunities. I know that he always tells Francis and Mary (and the audience) that he really doesn't care about the crown but I think this is actually contrary to what Bash is really thinking. He's a BASTARD, given that all his life he was deprived of EVERYTHING (besides he's freedom). Not only that, probably he was despised for having the title 'bastard'. Now that Mary has offered him a chance to change all of this, to turn the wheel of fortune upside down, who wouldn't do what he has done. This is the devil tempting him, and with his hidden desires he is being vulnerable and willing.

I really feel bad about Francis. A hoe and a bro got together to break the bro code, in his face! He was be belittled and stepped at, asking himself "What have I done wrong". Back to the irrationality of Mary and Bash, what's their reason for leaving Francis ? Nostradamus' prophecy. That's just dumb. Also I appreciated Francis' choice, to be the better man, accepting the fact that his brother and fiance betrayed him for his own safety. If I were him, I'd be like (off with their heads)

(Spoiler Alert: I think Francis is going to give Mary a taste of her own medicine given that *fingers crossed* there's a growing (?) love story between Lola & Francis)

With politics aside I think Mary is doing this for herself. She's being selfish (again politics aside) not just selfish,she's being mental. She's hurting herself (in a way) and relieving herself with this pain with more pain ( loving/accepting Bash). This love for Bash is providing Mary with adrenaline (which I think is what keeps Mary for wanting more) This blooming love of hers for him would only cause her own destruction in the near future. So Mary, heads up...

The last corner, is the producers/staff/writers/etc. With the fans discussing this "love triangle", taking sides, bashing phony characters, protecting idols and a like just tells us how successful this series is! With a simple twist of the plot, fans are kept interested on what this show has to offer. All we can do is to keep on supporting, guessing and waiting.

P.S. It's very clear that you're a Frary. For me, I'm still with team undecided.
More +
Flag
There is a discussion thread about the craziest fan bases (one of the main articles). I commented that Reign is starting to get a crazy fan base because of all of the devoted and sometimes intense comments between the Frary and the Mash shippers. I encourage everyone to vote for Reign, too!!

Flag
LOL I read that article too but was kind of glad not to make the list ((chuckles)) I don't really want to be called "crazy" but our show does need the publicity... ((shrug))
Flag
All your points are very good food for thought. I agree the show is excellent. Keeps you thinking about it even when it's not on.

I want Francis to move on and get serious with someone but not Lola. Two reasons: 1. I want Francis to stay the better man. Not get with his ex's friend. 2. I don't want another reason to dislike Lola. She has already put a man before her friendship with Mary. I want to see some solidarity with this group. Ayelee was the only one who had Mary's back unconditionally.

I used to be all for Mary and Francis. Now I'm all for Francis. Even with his faults he's been nothing but honest about everything going on.
Flag
1st of all “Sexy Nostradamus: The Sexiest Seer of Fronce Who Sees Himself in Your Pants Wink Wink and Also Court Surgeon.” Very long but hilarious title

Amazing episode, and we finally saw Clarissa!!!
Also Catherine isn't as "frigid" as we thought, not only did she bed Henry in this ep but she also had a lover & a secret child that ended up being Clarissa! And yes I was thrown that her lover was the "Italian mule" guy.

When Henry cut the guy's head off I actually cheered. Not for the poor guys head off, but because Henry is as ruthless as Catherine! And for Catherine getting the blood on her face, serves her right!

Okay so Catherine went to kill Mary & sits there to talk to her so she poisons herself too? Didn't anyone else find that stupid on Catherine's part?

- Kenna is the Samantha sexwise & the Charlotte in naivety
- Depends on the circumstance and the father
- Looked like a branch with yarn & feathers to me
- In her fanny pack??
- Only if Catherine needs Clarissa for something
- Too many times to count
More+
Flag
Henry is as ruthless as Catherine!

Debatable. Any woman who would drug another woman and then blackmail a man into raping her, is clearly the baddest bitch on the block. And not the Michael Jackson "shamone" BAD. The unforgivable and special place in hell BAD.

I love watching her, but Catherine is the worst.
Flag
Catherine had nothing left to lose and decided to take Mary with her. So no, it wasn't stupid. She wanted to go out on her own terms.
Flag
"Okay so Catherine went to kill Mary & sits there to talk to her so she poisons herself too? Didn't anyone else find that stupid on Catherine's part? "

Not stupid at all. She didn't care what happened to herself. She just wanted her kids back where they belong. Everyone wants to say that Catherine is getting what she deserved. Don't get me wrong, I think Catherine is conniving. But I can see why she is the way she is.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Has anybody else noticed that when Mary kisses Bash it's like she's really savoring the moment. As if it's the last time that they're going to do it or as if she's violating some code or royal rule. Also there's a hint of pain? or maybe confusion?

This pair really reminds me of Gossip Girl's Blair & Chuck. Can't wait for some Mash scenes next episode! (please include some Francis scenes this time)

Flag
Yes!!! The savouring of the kisses!!! This is reason 987,923,479,812,487,979,170,481 why I LOVE Mary and Bash! :D
Flag
Loved

What I really liked about this episode is the growing or should I say blooming relationship between Bash and Mary. Finally, she's considering the option of having another man in her life. Kudos to Mary! She is definitely growing (coming out of her comfort zone) episode after episode.

Loathed

I'm really scared for Bash. This love of his for Mary is completely blinding him like a puppy being offered a bone. He have also shown some signs of becoming 'power hungry', which is something that I sort of would like to happen, for us to see a darker side of him.

Where is Francis? I know that the show is not about him but they should have given us a hint of his whereabouts.

Clarissa & Catherine. Need I say more. I don't hate the characters what I dislike is their relationship. Seriously, you're mother and daughter, bond!

Nostradamus, grow up!
Flag
Why do you feel that Nosty needs to grow up? Just curious.
Flag
Moving out of Catherine's shadow. I know that they're friends and all but still Catherine treats him as a stupid dog (taking all of his talents for granted) . For all I know, Nostradamus has great potential doing things and he may also be one of the powerful characters in this series, due to his abilities which are all wasted (?!?). He just needs to have a stand. He acts as the puppet too attached to Queen Catherine.

P.S. This is my personal opinion, maybe I just wanted him to be on the good side for once (if ever he has a side -> this also confuses me)
Flag
I think he tries to stay off the radar because what he does could be construed as heresy. I would love to see him cut loose though. I think that would be to much in the fantasy genre though.

I don't think he has a side per say he's just kinda under the thumb of Catherine. He said he just tells the truth...as much as he can in french court. lol
Flag
Anyone notice that the actor who played Richard Delacroix also plays Jeremy Danvers on Bitten?
Flag
Yes and with the same amount of enthusiasm too. Yawn…

just kidding.

No but really, get the man an energy drink…. please.
Flag
As soon as I saw him I said Jeremy!!

Flag
Hey! I just thought I'd let everyone know that Francis is back in the next episode "Royal Blood" that airs when Reign comes back on the 27th!!! It's amazing, I guess distance really does make the heart grow fonder since I'm actually feeling glad he's going to be back! I also feel like I missed him somehow (even though I know I didn't) lol
Flag
LOOOOOOOL
Flag
I'll wait for your recommend before I watch it (While I know you will recommend every episode lol). I just have a feeling that they're going to push Francis on Lola so all the Mary/Francis fans will be like awww look it's ok he's moving too.
Flag
The way this show has been going I can't imagine not recommending an episode but seeing as I feel we've gotten to know each other re: reign and how we each feel about things. I'll give you a heads up if I think you might not like what's going on. That way at the very least you'll have time to get some rotten tomatoes ready to throw at Mary & Bash if they go too far :D
FYI, I get the episode only 12 -21 hours before it airs. (If anyone wonders / wants to ask me about this, pls message me specifically instead of replying)

Re: Lola & Francis, you may be right, I have no idea but the few spoiler pics I saw we're romantic looking at all although there was a promo kinda leading in that direction... I just really hope that Reign doesn't become cliche and do a rectangle where everyone is with the wrong people and then they make the TOP Mary & Francis and Lola & Bash. I soooooo don't want Lola with my fav Bash. No. NEVER. Please just don't!!!! If Bash can't have Mary, there needs to be another completely loveable, root-able girl brought in and paired with him. NOTHING LESS! :)
More +
Flag
I didn't even notice Francis was gone these past two episodes... He's such a drag.
Flag
Fantastic review once again. Love the "Namaste" part!

As said by many before me, this episode was amazing. So many twist and turns. This show has so embraced the crazy and OMG did that just happen. It's kinda reminding me of Scandal.

Anyhow, loved the focus on Catherine. The actress is awesome. I never would of guessed that Catherine and Henry were once in love. Wow! Glad that they reconnected, if only for a minute before he ordered her death once again. LOL!

Henry is officially a bad ass. I gasped when he decapitated the guard. Totally unexpected and awesome.

I'm really enjoying seeing Bash and Mary slowly get to know one another. They are building such a great bond of trust and respect.

Love this show :-)

Flag
Lilly great review!

How could Henry think Kenna would be a reliable witness in anything... although if she does know about one subject it would be sexy times.

Last week on this site, I wished for more Catherine and specifically more of her with Henry. Boy did I get my wish granted. Catherine was magnificent in this episode. She was backed into a corner but came out swinging. I love that she is a survivor but more then that I love that she loves her children more then anything and will do EVERYTHING to protect them.

God she was vulnerable, vicious, manipulative, and tender all in one episode!

And everything with her and Henry- I am still swooning. Their estrangement based on mutual hurt feelings and wounded pride but not lack of love or attraction. Jesus, the let down your hair line killed me. So damn hot.

Basically, Henry has been a spoilt little boy since he began to feel she didn't love him. So much drama...

Real talk for a minute: Is Catherine your favourite pairing for Henry? I feel like they have so much fire in their scenes that she blows Diane and Kenna away.
What is Megan Follow's beauty routine? She looks amazing!

More+
Flag
Catherine + Henry 4 eva. I wish these two would just make up for good.
Flag
They would dominate the fictional world of the show if they did!
Flag
What to say ? Where to start?
I mean this episode was just awesome, for now the best of the show (for me).

Catherine of The Green Gables stole and run the show and it felt right.
No offence to Mary's fans but I had always loved the "villain" with a history something like they are psychopath but it's not really their fault bla bla (like it could forgive what they did) instead of a proper hero/heroine which turns to be plain at the end.
Mary isn't plain it's just that for me it was the time for Catherine to shine a little (even in a bad way...even when she tried to kill both her & Mary she wanted it to be painless for Mary what a good soul she is).
+ I am a bit angry with Mary, I am not what you can call a shipper but I actually don't understand how the heart can change like that.
She had always love François, how she can this "easily" fell for the brother?
That's why I was happy we didn't see her much this week.

No back to the Catherine episode.
Everything was just perfect, I mean even when her lover called her an italian mule for diversion.
The little pick to Nostradamus : Haha you didn't see that coming ! (she killed me there)
The beautiful moment with Henri when they sort of professed their love for each other, like all these years was just a nightmare and they actually belonged together (and I think they actually do more than Kenna & Henri).
When she was in front of her mirror at the end, whe was so beautiful.

The huge revelation of who Clarissa is.

When Henri used his sword to protect Diane's secret.

I mean there were so many great moments, this episode was just HUGE!

... Is Kenna the Carrie Bradshaw of French court?
She is less & less usefull...and trading a false report for a husband, does that mean she finally understands that she means nothing to Henri ?
... If a man swore to kill his father for you: turn on, turn off?
Turn off he is just stupid. Who's next ? François over jealousy ?
... Just what exactly was Diane’s soul?
Good question, I knew she was in wiccan thing, I didn't know she was into DIY jewellery
... Where was Catherine stowing Diane’s soul ball exactly?
Her dress is like the Tardis (bigger pocket on the inside)
... Clarissa and Catherine: Will they ever enjoy a hug/forehead touch/mother daughter makeover day?
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
... How many times did you gasp during this episode?
Too much that's why I had to take a break at the half of it
More+
Flag
Her dress is like the Tardis (laughing so hard I got tears in my eyes) xD
Flag
I am a Mary/Francis fan and I don't really feel she has fallen for Bash. Yes she is attracted to him but that is normal. She is a young girl with little experience with men and he is attractive and wholly dedicated to her.

Look at her situation- she has turned the world over to save Francis, now she is committed to a man who has risked his life and taken a job he doesn't want all for her. Part of her must feel like she owes him. And then he comes to her seeking reassurance that she could love him one day after he has given up his freedom for her, his security for her....

I mean Mary is making terrible choices right now but I feel she is lost to a certain extent. with the paganism, with the vengefulness, with the lack of the compassion we are seeing from her. She has set herself on this path and in her mind their is no turning back. Most of her actions are out of character but not when you consider that all her actions are her trying to support and stick to the choice she has made. She made her own bed(to use the expression) and now Bash sleeps in it so she better do everything she can to make it work.

And for all the ways Bash is good, he will be a terrible king and Mary must know this but this is the path she is on.

Finally, if you watch, Mary has not really smiled since Francis has been away and her interactions with Bash have been dutiful and tender but have lacked passion. Don't get me wrong, in time maybe she could love him but right now what I'm seeing is obligation.

One final note, watch what Mary says in the end in response to Catherine telling she does not know Bash. She claims Bash is the perfect choice for her. If the writers ended it there we could readily believe she meant it but then she adds BECAUSE IT ALLOWED HER TO KILL CATHERINE. Frankly, it wasn't about Bash at all(unfair to Mash shippers and a tease to all us Fray ones). Being with Bash has allowed her to achieve her objectives(protect Francis) and get rid of her enemy. Right now it really isn't about love.

She is plotting this course and it darker and deadlier then she has anticipated, she has gotten away from herself and she cannot afford to turn back. She cannot look back at what she's lost and grieve or she might not be able to handle it.... I cannot wait for Francis to get home. This is madness indeed.
More +
Flag
Very nice analysis. You hit the nail on the head and wrote very eloquently about Mary's descent into darkness, where she is slowly hardening into a full-fledged queen from a breezy, beautiful young girl.
Flag
Let's not forget that this choice also saved Bash from being beheaded, so he has gained more than just Mary by going along with this plan.
Flag
#this x 100000000000

Awww, it's so nice to read comments from a Frary shipper who sees exactly what's going on, and isn't quick to brand Mary a traitor and a whore.

I'm totally #teamBash but everything you've said is exactly true. I have to admit this is not the way I wanted things to go down between Bash and Mary, I wanted them to promise friendship and then eventually fall in love. But Bash blew that out of the water with his excessive declarations of patricide and love….sigh ahh well. I hope he dials it back a bit when Francis comes back, and he realizes that Mary is still in love with him. Her heart clearly is still with Francis despite whatever she feels for Bash.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed how sad Mary has been. Despite everything she is saying, her face and body language tell another story.

I also can't wait for Francis to come back and stir the pot. I'm hoping for fighting, side eye, thinly veiled insults, tears, apologies and almost kisses.

Oh when he's done with Bash I hope he and Mary have some words too. :)
jk.
More +
Flag
"I also can't wait for Francis to come back and stir the pot. I'm hoping for fighting, side eye, thinly veiled insults, tears, apologies and almost kisses.

Oh when he's done with Bash I hope he and Mary have some words too. :)"

Hahahahaha you really had me laughing with the punchline!
Flag
I really like your comments and although we sometimes disagree, I enjoy your perspective and how it makes me re-think about all the characters and their motivations.

I truly dislike all the Mary hate, the Bash hate, and the Francis hate. All the characters are interesting and flawed. It is cool to pick a side but no need to hate on the writers if you dislike their decisions or to hate on the characters.

p.s I wasn't pleased that Bash pressured her but I get it. He just wants some sign of faith that he isn't giving up so much for nothing,
Flag
I don't hate any of the characters, except maybe Kenna she annoys me! But the writers choices have made my feelings for Mary change. I did not stop and think oh I dislike this or that. What happened was over the course of the last two episodes, much to my surprise, I suddenly found myself no longer liking Mary as much as in the past. At some point I realized I was not liking the path her character was taking.
Do I hate the writers for doing this, not really, but their choice, for whatever reason, of not showing her showing any kind of grieving period before moving on with Bash, has changed my feelings about her. It isn't hating on the writers to say that the choices they made have changed your feelings about a character or the show.
Maybe this is what the writers were going for anyway. Having the viewers question everyone and everything and rethinking and talking about their character and motives.
Flag
Don't get me wrong I didn't want to say anything bad towards Mary, just it doesn't feel right to me.
And really for me this episode was all about Catherine who is amazing.
Flag
LMAO at your last comment. Is it crazy that I miss Francis and Bash getting along? They were such good brothers and friends.

If I didn't love our girl Mary I would be rooting for them both two move on to other ladies and to plan double dates!
Flag
Haha, the only thing I love more than a love triangle is a good bromance. I want Francis and Bash to make up too, but with the way Bash is pushing things with Mary, I don't know if that can happen.

I kind of wanted them (Mary and Bash) to love each other like crazy, but both have the only person they love more than each other be Francis. The three of them together could take France (and Catherine) by storm.

Ah well, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Flag
Brother husbands with Mary the new Bill Henrickson!
Flag
I've thought all of the same things that you wrote. There is the possibility that we are right. It's just too soon to tell for sure so I'm in the wait and see + "say it ain't so" camp. I love your line about Mary making her own bed and Bash is in it! :P It remains to be seen how that is going to work out for her... One thing for sure Sebastian is a grateful man. Mary saved/secured his life in the strongest way possible. First from Henry by offering to do what he wants and risking her own head and secondly from FRANCIS b/c Mary has seen and felt Francis' vindictive nature first hand and she knows that even if Henry allows Bash to live, Francis may not. Girl is sharper than the sharpest sword!

Bash for his part has earned this loyalty from Mary in MANY ways but I'll just mention the one I haven't seen anyone reference since it happened. When Mary was hiding under the bed while they were on the run and the guards were threatening to CUT OFF Sebastian's fingers unless he told them where Mary was. He didn't do it! If Mary hadn't come out from hiding to stop them Bash would have be fingerless!!!

Last, going back to what you wrote. Your response is precisely why I don't really do this stupid (imo) hardcore "ships." Fiction and tv shows, the good ones anyway, are tricky. One day your up the next day your out! So goading the other fan base is a HUGE waste of space.
More +
Flag
This comment is regarding your statement about Bash threatening to kill his father. By the way, I agree with the rest of your analysis, too. Others have questioned if Henry would have chopped off Bash. Like you, I really believe he would have. Henry also subtly threatened Bash again after Henry half cut off the soldier's head.
Bash has such gorgeous eyes they are also so expressive. The look in his eyes after Henry talked to him, was just, wow!

Henry also saw Francis, and now Bash, as his usurpers, and not his heirs. Now that Bash is with Mary, Bash went from being Henry's favorite son to his least favorite.

Flag
I totally agree. I prefer Mary with Francis but don't feel the need to yell at the other side.

Bash has been shown as being incredibly loyal to her!

But just to disagree on a point, I don't think Francis is vindictive. Yes, he threatened Bash in the past but we have seen him step up and protect Bash multiple times(and we have seen Bash do the same for him). When he punched bash for taking everything from him, I thought he was justified. I mean Bash just took his whole life and his identity of course he was pissed at that moment.

When Francis threatened him in an earlier episode I think it was motivated by the fact that if he married Mary and she and Bash had a past, he wouldn't be able to trust her to stay faithful and protecting his line is EVERYTHING. It is the duty and the be and end all of being a king. The purity of the line is everything. I mean what does Francis talk about in the pilot- it is one of the chief concerns of a ruler. I think Francis would send Bash away even if he was angry enough to kill him because murder is never Francis first option. I mean he can be a dick in a lot of ways but murder is never his first solution. That is not how he thinks.

But Bash sees violence as a means to an end. Remember when he pushed that dude off a cliff to tie up loose ends that could trace back to his mother? He didn't need to kill that man but he did because he has no limits on how far he would go to protect his and his mother's security. That line about killing Henry if he needed to? Now contrast that to Francis' hands shaking after he killed Tomas. Everything has been foreshadowed in Tomas' line about what it is to be a bastard- you learn to take what you want.

More +
Flag
@ thatstp very interesting! I love hearing alternative points of view your interpretation seems to be on cue. At some point I probably will re-watch Chosen. I do remember my first re-action to Folivia sex was that Francis was being vindictive and using the Mash kiss as an excuse/ get out of jail free card though but maybe I'm wrong. I'll have to re-watch and see if there were an hints of sadness from Francis.
Flag
First let me say that this comment reply system is STUPID! The latest comment being on top instead of under the previous one and not being able to reply directly to some comments is frustrating. Just UGH....moving on.

sunnyday, flintslady and mineta, you make excellent points. I am going to rewatch the last epi without my "i hate Mary now" glasses on and see if she looks unhappy.

mineta, I think you should rewatch Chosen. Francis didn't sleep with Olivia just because Mary kissed Bash. He slept with her after he realized how much his brother and fiance were starting to care for each other. His whole speech was about what Bash and Mary meant to each and what that meant to him in turn. That they couldn't rule properly if there was jealousy and in-fighting between the three of them. Then Bash made it worse by bucking up and asking if that was a threat. Earlier when he told Mary that she didn't listen to him about life at court and because she didn't someone was going to die and his brother would be different when he came back...all because Bash cared for her...he didn't run to Olivia. He only did that because he was hurt. He felt the need to start messing around because he didn't want to be truly in love with her if she was falling for his brother. The part I can't forgive Francis for is the way he used Olivia. Yes, she was stupid enough to sex him up after he told her he couldn't make any promises but she was in love with him. He knew that. I guess that's what you get when you sleep with someone that has told you he loves another. *kanye shrug*

More +
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I agree to some degree. But I think the difference between Francis's hand shaking and Bash able to kill the thief so easily has more to do with the fact that it was the first time Francis had killed anyone directly.

Francis deals in decrees and laws. They make decision's within the comfort of their palace and people all over the kingdom feel the effect.

Bash has never had that kind of power. Everything that he has ever done, he has felt the effect immediately. And while he was quick to kill the thief to protect his mother. His hesitance to kill a man to protect Mary in the first place shows that he is conflicted about it. But like you said, for him it's an ends to a means, and he will do it if he has to, it's clearly how his father raised him.

When Francis threatened him in an earlier episode I think it was motivated by the fact that if he married Mary and she and Bash had a past, he wouldn't be able to trust her to stay faithful and protecting his line is EVERYTHING

No, I think it was specifically about his brother taking something that was his. He said she could be with anyone else, just not Bash. I don't think it was him being vindictive though. It was him being jealous.
More +
Flag
It's cool that we kind of think a like lol Even though I'm a Mary and Bash hopeful. The part where you disagree with me, I disagree with you right back! ((chuckles)) When I said Mary has seen Francis' vindictiveness first hand, I was actually referring to his actions with Olivia!!! Mary kisses his brother so Francis has SEX with the "rich noble girl" that's making Mary insecure! Talk about one upping someone in a horribly vindictive fashion! Mary would have broken up with him then and there if she could and probably would have never looked back! But she couldn't "she had no recourse" as she told Bash so she stayed in her "nunnery of one" as she put it and made the best of things (which actually turned out pretty great b/c Francis realized he loved her and was sorry etc.etc.) But Mary has felt and seen his vindictiveness at work and when she finally broke up with him she said "I remember it all" I think she was referring to this too.

Add to that Mary is painfully aware that Bash only has a place at court as long as he is in the favour of the current King, remember Lola warned her that "if Bash falls out of favour for any reason..." Add to that Francis is civilized enough :rolls eyes: not to do his killing himself i.e. "not by his own hand" but rather to wish it done. Mary knows that eventually, Francis would have a volatile moment over what she and Bash mean to each other and then all bets would be off. He could order someone to kill Bash, or a French subject could just pick up on his "wishes" and make them reality! Francis could "punish" the subject to look good but Bash would still be dead and out of the way.

Regarding Bash being some kind of killer, he is but he isn't really :) He's a SWORDSMAN as we found out from Nostradamus in this episode and his judgment is EXCELLENT. Bash recognizes evil and trouble and see it quickly. He doesn't try to cover it up, live in denial or co-exist with it like Francis does. Bash believes that some evils just need to be eradicated in order for peace to reign and in the context of the show he seems to be right.

The guy he pushed off a cliff would eventually have caused him and his mother to be burned at the stake as heretics due to his clumsy inept mouth. Since the man was clearly an idiot (sorry to speak ill of the fictionally dead) the only one way to stop him was to push him off that cliff.

Tomas was evil and Francis tried to TALK him out of being evil and subtly threaten him with "Mary is a friend to Fronce." Like Tomas cared!!!! Only Bash recognized quickly his evil core and knew that if he wasn't killed Mary's life was about to become hell on earth and probably end up dead herself like Tomas' first wife. In the end, Francis was the one to actually kill him. So Francis agreed with Bash but took longer to see it.

Regarding threatening to kill his own father. That same father threatened (and meant it!) to chop off Sebastian's head!!! Henry also may not really care about Bash despite being "his favourite" and his "playmate." I remember Bash telling his mother Diane that she "has to seduce his father into giving a d*mn about them!." Also when Bash was on the verge of death due to trying to help Francis help Mary stay in France by sending troops to Scotland. Henry walked away from Bash on his death bed and called Bash "a cheap lesson!!!!" I don't recall if Bash heard that but Francis was more concerned than him and yelled "I know you love him!!!" bu there was no show of love coming from Henry AT ALL.

Add to that that Henry doesn't care about all the lives of his subjects that will be lost in an unnecessary war fighting for ownership of England + fighting a war about religion causing English Catholics to kill their Protesant neighbour! AND that Henry also doesn't care that Mary and Francis/Bash will be risking their own heads by even trying to take over England...!!!! We can all safely conclude that all Henry cares about is himself and his power! So I don't blame Bash for offering to kill him at all. It actually seemed appropriate although very shocking and treasonous!!! LOL

Last: I don't think that violence is Bash's FIRST choice. I think he told Mary that b/c he was expressing how far he is willing to go if necessary to achieve whatever political goals she wants re: England. Their relationship is clear, Mary can set most of the political agenda and Bash advocates the status quo + boggy time with Mary :D
More +
Flag
I have a problem with all the Mary hate and bashing (lol-unintentional pun but kinda cute no?) of her lack of whimpering over Francis. One of the coolest things about Mary is that she's not your typical girl in any way. Mary is a strong, self-assured woman and RULER. This type of woman and/or ruler does not go around pouting, whining or crying about ANYTHING least of all losing a relationship! The capacity of strong, self-assured women everywhere to pick up and move on when things we want don't come to fruition is often puzzling to others. Criticized and hated as is evidenced by some comments. But if Mary was gonna cry or even dwell upon losing Francis this is something someone of her great and strong character would do off-screen, at night, alone, under the covers in her bed chamber!!!!

Like Francis, she is duty minded which is why she used Francis' own words back on him to break up with him. Before saying she loved him she said "love is IRRELEVANT to people like us" and that HE taught her that!!! Therefore her love declaration (and Francis' for that matter) means absolutely nothing!!! And the side of me that is a Frary fan can comfortably R.I.P. until they both change their minds about that stance and get back together.

Back to the show: It's duty and country first with these two and all other considerations including personal ones are secondary. Therefore first and foremost Mary did her duty of keeping the alliance on tack for her country but found a way to save Francis' life and Bash's life in the process. She was hoping that this would also end the attacks on her life by Catherine (which is political as well as personal, if Mary dies "she can't wed any future kings or bring home any armies" as she once said before) but Catherine didn't stop.So I don't feel sorry for Catherine b/c all the danger she (or by extension her kids) are in is b/c of her own bad behaviour - adultery and murder attempts and threatening/hurting people (slapping one of her ladies, allowing her Medici family to torture that wet nurse). Despicable!

Example to Consider: Mary wanted Francis so badly after he gave her her first kiss but he told her to marry Tomas b/c that's what her country needed. When she decided to get on board with that decision fully, she didn't whine or cry to her ladies in waiting about it. There was no moping about the loss of Francis as her future husband! She sucked it up and told Ailee that she had to do this b/c "I am a Queen." And that was that. This girl has a wicked spine of steel and is developing a better and better poker face all the time!
More+
Flag
I do not get where you are getting this whole Mary picked this option to protect the alliance for Scotland. She readily ran away from the alliance and France. She only thought of this option when she and Bash were brought back to court and the King told her to honor the alliance or he would behead Bash. So she either had to marry Francis and let him die or walk away from the alliance and let Bash die. She came up with option three in order to save Francis and Bash.
And I would suggest that letting go of Francis before they had declared their love and knowing that the marriage might not ever happen may be a little different than walking away after both declared their love, shared a bed and on the day their wedding was to take place. Not to mention that you also have denied him and his brothers their birthright and everything they have ever known.
Sadly, even Catherine, when she was talking to the vision man, at one point expressed a certain amount of remorse over "having" to get rid of Mary. She sarcastically said something along the lines of how awful it was to have a future daughter-in-law who loved her son and who he loved. Then something like what mother would wish for that. So even Catherine, who I think we can all agree is a strong woman occasionally expresses remorse and regret for her choices.
More +
Flag
She ran away from the alliance when she thought the alliance might cost her her head b/c Henry was forcing her to go after England + the terrible prophecy re: Francis. She thought her mother would understand and support her looking for a new alliance. When she came back she saw the letter Catherine showed her where her mother, under pressure from her advisors, not only wanted the alliance with France "eminently" but also wanted her to lay claim to England as well. So she did come up with the third option as she explained to her ladies b/c it was the only way to do her duty and listen to her mother while saving both guys lives.
Flag
1. Ok, what exactly is Reign's target audience? I thought this show was meant for teenagers. Obviously, I was mistaken. They should move Reign to either HBO or Starz and let actors and actresses show some skin. If True Blood can do it - what is stopping Reign?

I loved "Inquisition" - with every week Reign is getting crazier.

2. Royal Hot Tub is an object of my dreams, too Lily.

3. No wonder Clarissa looks that way - her Papa is a werewolf. I had no idea Jeremy is a time traveler.

Seriously, I was so surprised seeing Greg Bryk in Reign.

4. Henry and Catherine should just go to couples therapy... or play in the remake of a movie called "The War of the Roses".

Thanks for a great review, Lily!
Flag
Megan Follows and Alan Van Sprang for Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas - I'd want to watch that remake!
Flag
The CW always make their shows teen friendly but since teens don't have much buying power they target their shows at the 18-34 demographic. Also, I'm SO GLAD the actors/actresses ARE NOT showing "some skin." It's nice to have a show that's decent and suitable for everybody. You never have to worry about who's in the room with you or walking by while watching Reign. lol
Flag
Decent and suitable for everybody? So showing a nipple is big No for you, but you're ok with beheading?
Flag
Puritanism is a pox on television and all of society in the United States. Bunch of hypocritical Christians forcing their views on society.
Flag
LOL. Agreed. I prefer sexuality to violence any day. And that beheading was extreme.
Flag
You are twisting my words. I won't argue with you.
Flag
All in fun though. *hugs*
Flag
ok so I'm just gonna ask because i may have become lost in this David Bowie labyrinth of plots
1. how did Nostradamus survive his almost certainly fatal offence against his person?
2. is Clarissa Catherine's first born because when Nostradamus was being all vague vision explanation he said 'Mary's union will cost you your first born' or whatever sooo... yh if someone more intelligent than myself could answer these then my brain would stop itching.
thankyou
Flag
1. Absolutely. One minute he's bleeding out. The next minute he's fine. I think it's because the show got extended to 22 episodes. Oh and a poultice.

2. Ding Ding Ding, you get a prize. I think you may have something here. History says Francis died from an ear infection. And back in the day people used to poison people by pouring poison in their ears. I think it's possible that the writers are going to have Nostradamus attributing the prophecy to the wrong child and that the first born is Clarissa. When Nostradamus finds out that Clarissa is Catherine's child, he'll tell Mary that she is free to wed Francis. I also suspect Clarissa is going to kill Francis out of jealousy.
Flag
It's kind of irritating when they do that. Also, sometimes they do plan to kill off a character, but fans like them so well they decide to keep them on. I don't know.

Unless Nostradamus actually saw Francis being dead. In this show, I'm sure that that there will be more to the story /vision now that we know about Clarissa. I'm so glad they showed her face!
Flag
awww sad, but also does anyone think that bash may be written out of history because the whole 'history is written by the victors' keeps being mentioned. That would be sad too (still preferable to him getting with Lola, in my opinion at least)
Flag
I hope not!!
Flag
That idea makes total sense but is also super dark and sad. :(
Flag
Yes, please annswer these questions for us.
Nostradamus' vision seems doubly wrong now because we now know that the visual part of it was Francis' reaction to Mary leaving NOT him dying. And now the words he spoke could be untrue too. Although if he doesn't know Clarissa is Catherine's child he probably is just saying first born but still referring to Francis. Let's just agree that his accuracy in this case seems a little suspect.
Flag
I wouldn't say wrong. He did say that his visions are not always clear. Unless he actually saw Francis face dying. It was really hard to tell from the quick little snippets they showed in episode 1. Which is funny, because Nostradamus said that things were clear.
Flag
maybe he's the medieval version of Wikipedia- hit and miss
and thank you pointing out the for visual references of his visions because they are just... misleading. And i think it would be a great idea for him to keep a dream journal so he can keep track of all of this weirdness. but still catherine's first born isn't Henry and Catherine's first born but also the first royal born could be Bash but then- then - oh for god's sake somebody clear this aromatic poison bath bomb vapours and explain this to me.
and another question - the beast in the woods? more info please, because i'm like- is it clarissa with nostradamus's hate comment being linked in :'(
or is it god help us vampires (though i have to say could you imagine Klaus and the other originals popping in - i would die but take the show with me for crossing the line.
the beast of gevaudan ? or maybe it's nothing but pagans eating cave mushrooms and hallucinating in the midst of a guano problem
Flag
the firstborn can not be Bash since he is Diana and Henry's son - why warn Catherine? It's only in her favour if he dies.
Flag
Wow…just wow. I wanted to comment on the episode and Lily's awesome review (as usual) but after reading through the comments here I have to say I'm a little surprised.

The vitriol and hatred I keep reading towards Mary is intense and upsetting. I understand being disappointed in a characters choices, especially when there is a love triangle being set up. And I understand being disappointed when it seems like things are not going to work out the way you want them to. But it seems a lot of people are so angry about Mary's choices that they are changing the narrative of what we are seeing to fit their angry outbursts.

I can't understand where this blinding love for Francis comes from (though I suspect it's his doll like hair), but whatever I can accept it, just not at the expense of slut shaming Mary. Anyone saying that "it's obvious she just wanted to be with Bash this whole time" needs a valium and a time out. Has she made some regrettable/semi-ridiculous choices? Yes definitely. She is a teenage girl with a crown who was raised in a convent, so I think that can be expected. But I have yet to see one scene that proves that she didn't make the decision to be with Bash in an attempt to save Francis. If you've got one, please feel free to let me know.

In fact (and this coming from someone who is totally #teamBash) every time she and Bash have been close, she has seemed uncomfortable, and hesitant. Despite her attempts to reassure him that her heart is open, it's clear on her face that she is conflicted. How many times now has she asked Bash if wants to back out of this deal? Do you think she would keep asking him that if being with Bash is what she wanted all along?

You wanna be pissed at Bash, fine I can accept that (begrudgingly). He kissed his brother's fiancee, has no problem comparing their 1 week relationship to hers with Francis and will allow France to burn in order keep Mary happy.

You wanna be mad that Mary allowed a prophecy to break up her and Francis, and strip him and his siblings of their titles and push them further down in the line of succession, I can understand that.
- Though despite her removing their titles and inheritance don't think for a second that if her marriage with Bash had worked out and she and him had become King & Queen of France that she wouldn't have provided for Francis and his siblings with her wealth and position.

But stop suggesting that she is some kind of traitorous whore who never loved Francis in the first place just because she kissed Bash, and doesn't float around the castle asking about Francis every second.

He(Francis) doesn't deserve your unwavering allegiance.
She still does.

More+
Flag
Thank-you for saying this. Nicely done!
Flag
First, I am old and I came to this "historical teen soap" totally out of my interest in Mary. Since I was a teenager I have loved to read and watch everything about her. I came for one person and one person only...I was team Mary and open to whatever. I don't care about historically correct and I was quick to fall in love with Reign and have made it my guilty little secret pleasure.
When Mary suggested this option I thought it was a bad choice, and quite honestly, had to stop the voice in my head suggesting all the reasons this couldn't happen, and I decided to go with it and see where it went.
Last week's episode did me in though. If the show would have taken some time and led Mary down the path of sadness at losing, not only Francis, but everything she had been brought up to believe would be her life. And THEN started her down the path of trying to accept and make the best of the decisions that she made I think I could have stayed with her. But as Bash stood before her and told her how he would be so much better than Francis, she did not stand up for Francis and their love instead she kissed Bash. And I, who was only team Mary, thought I am not sure I like Mary any more.
All of her acts since she proposed this option have really only been about protecting herself and Bash. The fact that she has turned the whole French court upside down and caused tons of hurt to a lot of people seems to be of no concern to her. And I have not once heard her ponder whether saving Francis' life by making him miserable and taking away everything he has ever known is the right decision for everyone not just to make her feel good.
The show has done something I never thought could happen and it has made me root against Mary. And this has nothing to do with if she is with Bash or Francis it has everything to do with the way she handles herself. Right now I just hope they will bring back the characteristics about her that I loved. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
More +
Flag
I guess the difference between us is that I'm willing to give Mary the benefit of the doubt. Historically I've never liked Mary, she was a traitorous women who tried to steal the throne from Elizabeth and was beheaded for it. But I came into this show semi-open minded after reading Lily's review of the pilot. The writers and actors somehow made it work. At first I thought Mary was foolish and head strong and blind to Francis' shortcomings but eventually I still came to root for her.

I completely agree that her decision to marry Bash and strip Catherine's children of their position was a damaging move. As I've said before that episode was the first time I was #teamFrancis. Everything he said to her was true.

But at the same time, I could understand Mary's position. She is alone at french court. She had no one to advise her or root for her or fight for her, other than her ladies, who don't seem to know much about politics or prophecies.

She is being pushed and assaulted from all sides. Henry, Catherine, her mother, Francis, Nostradamus. And forced to make a huge decision in an extremely short amount of time. So she made one. And yes unfortunately it wasn't a very good one. But please feel free to suggest a better decision for her to make if you can. I tried to think of one, and couldn't.

"But as Bash stood before her and told her how he would be so much better than Francis, she did not stand up for Francis and their love instead she kissed Bash"

She (at this time) is marrying Bash, do you think it makes sense to look up into the face of your fiancee and defend your ex? I don't know if you can watch this scene again, but look at her face. She is clearly conflicted. In fact the only time Mary has given Bash a genuine smile since "the decision" is when she found him sword playing with his bodyguard.

Despite Bash's escalating declarations of love, Mary is clearly conflicted. It's all over her face, and body language. She wants to be happy, she like's Bash well enough, but she's clearly still not over Francis.

All of her acts since she proposed this option have really only been about protecting herself and Bash.

As opposed to what? I understand that you're pissed about what Mary has done to the French court, but do you remember why she's doing this? For Scotland. If Bash dies, or she dies, England takes Scotland. If she marries Francis and he dies… guess what happens to Scotland? It sucks that she screwed a few royal heirs out of their legacy (temporarily) but if it saves the lives and livelihoods of millions of people isn't it worth it?

You speak of Francis being miserable because he can now travel the country and do whatever he likes and bed all kinds of women, but how does that even compare to the people of Scotland who will be murdered, raped and kicked off their land, if Mary doesn't secure a marriage with the next french King? The very thing that Francis used as an excuse to push Mary away (our countries come first) is being thrown in her face. I don't see how that is fair.

I do agree with you that things seems to moving a little fast. I suspect it's because they thought they were only going to be 12 episodes and now were extended to 22.

Even though I'm #teamBash, I do feel he is coming on a little strong, and I wish he would just be Bash and let her fall in love with him, instead of declaring his love for her again and again. It feels a little desperate and I want Bash to be stronger than that. Plus I love a love triangle (a good one) so I want Francis to come back and make all three of them really work for it.

And I don't want anybody getting Lola as a consolation prize. Let her find her own love, not a Mary cast off.

More +
Flag
"She (at this time) is marrying Bash, do you think it makes sense to look up into the face of your fiancee and defend your ex?"

Actually, yes, in this case, I think it would be okay to say something in defense of Francis. Afterall, supposedly both Mary and Bash are only doing this to save Francis and Bash from death. So I think it would be okay to defend Francis, or at least, ask Bash not to talk about how much better he is for her than Francis. And secondly, if she did not want to say anything I could have given her that but instead of saying something SHE KISSED HIM!

"But do you remember why she's doing this? For Scotland."

Please tell me where Mary says this. If this was the reason she gave for choosing this course I might be able to view her differently. The reasons I heard and saw in the episodes I watched were that she couldn't marry Francis or he would die and she couldn't walk away from France or the King would have Bash beheaded, so Mary presented this option to save both Francis and Bash. And while I didn't like the idea, and questioned how it would really work, I didn't lose my respect for her then. It is after the decision when it seems she has moved on with no sadness for losing Francis and no remorse for what she is doing to other people that my feelings for her changed.

And I absolutely do not see her being conflicted about the choice she has made. That is what I was looking for in the episodes after she made the decision and when I didn't see it that was when I started questioning whether I was team Mary anymore or not.

I just don't see that someone who is conflicted over the decision she has made would keep behaving as she has. If the writers did not want to have her defend Francis to Bash or tell Bash she wasn't ready to "open her heart" they could have had her spend some private moments with her ladies where we could have seen her sadness over losing Francis and what she was doing to his brothers, etc. Their choice not to show her contemplating any of this and having her kiss Bash right away in the next episode has hurt her character. We may want to believe she would feel all these things but nothing she has said or done has shown this to be true.

I love this show and I think they have created a great thing but if you truly believe in what you are doing then you stay true to your characters and don't hurry things along just because you may only get 12 episodes. You write the 12 best episodes you can and hope you get the chance to do more.

I truly hope future episodes will change my mind again.
More +
Flag
Very gooood! Very entertaining to read! I completely agree except I'm not looking forward to Francis' return :P I want to keep all my Mary and Bash feels :)
Flag
I completely agree with everything you said. Well stated....If the show had taken some time any time to have Mary actually grieve over losing Francis the man who she gave her virtue to the man who she said she would love for the rest of her life then I may be willing to accept the budding relationship between her and Bash. But that's just it. She didn't mourn over her lost love--a love that she cast away although he tried to fight for her and not allow her to push him away.
I understand this is a teen drama and I am all for it. I'm a huge fan of young adult fiction and generally have loved rooting for the underdog ie team Jacob so I would normally be inclined to root for Bash, but I can't get behind it not after watching Mary fight to be with Francis and then just cast him aside on what feels like a whim.
The writing has made me root against her whereas in the beginning Mary could do no wrong. She was smart and witty and cunning when she needed to be, now all I see her reactions and counter moves to keep her and Bash together.
More +
Flag
I agree. I was so on Mary's side in the beginning.

She (at this time) is marrying Bash, do you think it makes sense to look up into the face of your fiancee and defend your ex?

Since he supposedly was doing it to save his brother too....yes. She is all fancy with the words just like Francis. She could have told him that while she is open hearted to him let's not forget that Francis is a good guy that we betrayed and he still didn't wish us any ill will.

As for slut shaming Mary and people being upset that I keep calling her a lying traitorous skank...that is what she is to me. ANYONE who gets with their s.o's sibling is a skank! Think about if that happened to your closest friend you would call that person a skank. It's the sibling thing not that she is with someone else.

I also agree with if all this had happened over time or if she voiced (even once) some regret over dumping Francis, I might not dislike her so intensely. I get that she needs to show appreciation to Bash for going along with it but let's be honest...Bash came out on top so why would he care how he got it? Would it have been so hard for her to take 2 seconds and show some remorse for Francis whom she's suppose to love so deeply that she lost her virginity to him? I'm supposed to stand behind her just because she's a girl? Nostradamus doesn't see everything (or he would have seen this whole Catherine mess coming a mile away) so how does she know that what she did won't be the cause of Francis dying sooner? Her and Francis were a good team. She didn't even give him the chance to come up with another plan before she threw him under the bus and moved on with his brother.

More +
Flag
mineta, I could agree with that if she hadn't already almost did it. I can agree with that to a certain extent.
Flag
Sorry to take this away from hardcore Frary fans and I know even as I write this that my view here is going to be very unpopular and as palatable as drinking vinegar so please be gentle LOL (or not, I can take it :D) Here goes: I don't think Mary losing her virginity to Francis was 100% about love. The timing to me seemed suspect. She was almost raped and as a result she wanted to control who her virtue went to, so while she "loved" Francis if she hadn't been almost raped I don't think she would have given it up to him before their wedding. Okay let the balls of fire reign down on me LOL I'm ready.
Flag
Exactly, the hate towards Mary is disgusting especially after all Francis has been doing to her. I guess girls can't stay for a minute without hating other girls. I was wondering when the Mary hate would ensue.
Flag
I thought it overall was a good episode, but I'm not a fan of Mary these days. I never thought I would feel like that, but I don't agree with her choices these days and I hate her and Bash together. I'm sorry but I don't see any chemistry between them. To me it feels forced, it feels like they're just pushing this for the sake of this sl, because it isn't natural. She was just in love with Francis. She fought for him and sacrificed for him all to fall for his brother a week later? If this would have been worked up over time, maybe I could get on board, but it literally happened over night and it isn't believable. I don't like what she is doing to Catherine, again, never thought I would say that, but I actually sympathize with Catherine on this. She wanted to save her son from this prophecy, so she came clean with Mary only for Mary to then break her sons heart, leave her and her children with nothing. I'm sorry, but that's not a real option. If I was queen and was at risk for losing everything, my children were about to lose everything, because some self righteous child queen, I would try to kill her too, I'm just saying.
More+
Flag
this episode was intense....I just keep waitin for Catherine to get big and she did. I'm gonna take you with me Mary now that's big. LOOOOVVVVED the scene with Henry and Catherine. So nice to see that they did care for each other and if they hadn't been too busy hurting one another they could have been happy.

Where is FRANCIS???? i know all the Bash fans are loving these episodes but they seem very one dimensional. Just think of the drama if Francis were back. I kept waiting for him to come back to save his mother, but he never showed.

I still have the same complaints about Mary. There is absolutely nothing about this plan that has to do with saving Francis. she said to Catherine that she means her children no harm but she has stipped them of their birthright and is the reason why their mother is about to be beheaded. That strikes me as harm! As much as I wanted Mary with Francis I'm not sure I want her with him ever again. She obviously didn't love him the way she said she did because she it has been way to easy to just give him up and open her heart.

I get it she has to fall in love with him to give the audience a plausible love triangle, but for me it's not plausible either she loved Francis and really meant it and this thing with Bash is at best an infatuation because Francis is gone or she didn't and now is open to love Bash. Either way it's not a triangle.

This show is still awesome, but for me it's not because of Mary anymore. I anticipate every new episode just because I have to know what Catherine is going to do next.
More+
Flag
"As much as I wanted Mary with Francis I'm not sure I want her with him ever again. She obviously didn't love him the way she said she did because she it has been way to easy to just give him up and open her heart."

Exactly how I feel. Mary doesn't deserve Francis at this point. Bash is worse than Mary. His kind of betrayal is worse than anything and last night he admitted he did it all to have Mary. As you stated neither one of them has mentioned Francis. They both jumped on the love train after stripping Francis and his siblings of their birthright.
Flag
Yes. But what is worse, Francis, 2 kids, a mother and a daughter losing their titles and claim to the throne or Francis dying prematurely due to the fulfilment of the prophecy?
Flag
If she truly loved him then that should have been Francis' decision to make.
Flag
I guess Francis should really be the one to decide if he would rather die happy or have to live a life he doesn't want. In reality, it should be his decision. Obviously, as his mother, Catherine wants to save him and in a way I am sure Mary wants the same to. But in the end is she really doing it for Francis or is she doing it so she doesn't have to live with the guilt if it comes true?
Flag
@ thatstp I agree!!! But in a post above I give a rational about strong self assured women who generally don't look back once the damage is done and are able to carry on to the bewilderment of everyone else. I think Mary fits into that category and she probably does all her mourning off screen under the covers at night. Also I think Frary's love is diluted b/c both put country ahead of the other. Until they learn not to do this (Mary from Bash, Francis from whomever) Frary's love has enough cracks in it to allow each to love others. Just my opinion.
Flag
mineta, but the problem is as much as Mary believes it is as much as Francis doesn't. And in reality if you chose to do this for your first everything, would you then just be so open to love his brother? I know I wouldn't. I would brokenhearted for more than several weeks.
Flag
That's all good and dandy for to say but in real life if you believed something to the core i.e. the man I shared my first kiss, first time ever, first etc. etc. with is gonna DIE if you marry him!!!! In real life you wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole much less let him "choose" (aka fulfill fate) to DIE b/c he loves you.
Flag
So many gasps!
I'm not sure which was more intense, the beheading or the tub poison.
Flag
The beheading for sures! Because it was completely unexpected.
Flag
oooh bash you were so bashionate in this episode!!and where the hell is francis??and didnt the queens affair sort of came out of no where.Also,what's really crazy about reign is that i dont know whether im team bash or francis. One moment i want mary with francis the other I want her with bash.Love triangles haven't been this interesting in a long time. It's also kind of weird how well the show is going without francis,its like you dont notice he is there till the end or half way through the show and then it slips your mind.
Flag
So much bashion in this episode... He's amazing. And scarily intense. And those eyes. Man, those eyes.
Flag
Passionate, crazy, dark, and yes those soul piercing eyes. I'm all in for bash oh and Francis who?
Flag
ITA that Torrance is so bloody hot but right now Bash is like Damon Lite, all passion and no consequence (and I say this as someone with a Damon icon since five years). But unlike Damon, Bash is supposed to be a the next king of France, and he has absolutely no inclination or natural tendency for it, so I'm not enamoured with his character at the moment. He's coming across as shallow and flippant (Mary even scolded him for it), and his declaration that France and even his father means nothing to him except for his personal infatuation with Mary - for which we haven't been given enough motivation, I mean, he barely knows her at this point - makes him the weakest character on Reign right now. Francis & Mary are doing all these for reasons bigger than themselves, and here's Bash, being all miniscule-level selfish. I wanted a better Bash.

On TVD, several major events happened in S1 to make Damon fall for Elena, like the incident in the tomb when he didn't find Katherine, etc. Reign should have invested some time in Bash + Mary before having a career womaniser like Bash fall head over heels in love with Mary, enough to ruin his family and a nation. I'm frankly very disappointed that the writers had to resort to TWO EPS WITHOUT FRANCIS to give Bash some face-time with Mary and dilute the Mary / Francis relationship. That's literally writing Francis out of the story, and super-weak. In their rush for the love triangle, they have ruined Bash's character.
More +
Flag
For a supposed playboy, he sure latches onto one girl and sticks with it. We've never seen him (nor is it mentioned) that he is with anybody else.
Flag
Your right because I remember episode 1 Francis was the playboy I think He said "I went for a ride" and bash replayed "who on" or something like that.
Flag
All excellent views I'm a very big fan of TVD and Damon so I can see your point I think Francis and Mary are better suited to be king and queen where Bash and Mary would make a better husband and wife, bash has no experience in being king and up to this point has never had to think about it due to him being bastard born in a way this is his learning curve which is why he doesn't have the same views and idels Francis did when it comes to ruling the country. From the beginning there was something between them it wasn't love but there was something and now we are seeing a love form, I've been watching very carefully and have noticed the simple mannerisms in which Mary interacts with bash and how she was with Francis she never used to touch him or interact with him like the way she is with Bash. I do agree work needs to be done but not every thing is perfect and I love that, which is what drew me to Damon and Bash in the first place plus it doesn't hurt that there both drop dead gorgous
Flag
True, bad boys need to be super-hot for us to excuse them being, well, bad boys :) But bad boys with sweet hearts walk a razor's edge and it's easy to ruin their characters (like it has progressively happened to Damon on TVD) so I fear for the character of Bash because the writing on Reign regarding him seems weaker versus the other characters.

Also, I think what Mary feels for Bash is 'affection' - she obviously cares for him, but given that she was shown to be "happily in love" with Francis, SOMETHING BIG has to happen to convert her affection for Bash into active, romantic love for him. She is 'friends' with Bash, and so more physically comfortable and almost motherly towards him, it's a different kind of gentleness. Francis was always a 'potential husband' and 'love interest' to her, and for a 16-year old, that's a very intense, electrifying relationship, fraught with angst and 'romance', not 'gentleness'. She's far more forgiving towards Bash's mistakes than Francis's at this point, because expectations are different - lower, in terms of demand - for Bash. And she feels guilty for having dragged him into this mess and keeps asking if he wants out. I like that they have these nuances in the Bash-Mary story, and I genuinely want more of this than *bam* let's fall in blind, passionate love and kill fathers and ruin nations and be textbook epic. There's a charm to hesitation and growing love that requires patience from the writers and viewers, and Reign has scope for that since Francis-Mary provides a REAL urgency, of uniting nations and what not, and this opportunity of actual stakes in a love triangle shouldn't be squandered in the rush to please everyone at once.

That's why I was disappointed that Francis was missing for two eps because that lowered the tension and conflict for Mary and removed the need for the TURNING POINT in her heart and mind. As far as I can see, plot-wise, she's with Bash because of the prophecy. Why is she being romantic towards him? Is it actual romance, or is it some amount of faking it to keep him focused on the task, since Bash is almost child-like when confronted with serious, dull responsibilities like being a king? And if it IS blooming love, I'd still like to see more tension and angst to match the tenor of the rest of the very intense show.
More +
Flag
I have to admit, I want Francis to come back, because I love drama, and those two tearing it up will be awesome.

Flag
If they tear it up, I hope Bash fights back or at deflects some punches. Unless you mean a verbal confrontation??
Flag
Not having seen this episode yet, would it have been too much to resist spoiling the appearance of Clarissa in the main post headline??? Seeing her photo on the main page like that was wrong and should have been buried in this review instead, which, not having watched, I would not have read.

It's amazingly sad and ironic how you TV.Com writers don't think that through.
Flag
For me, if I haven't seen a show, I don't even check the show site just in case there are spoilers. And I wouldn't check the FTW / WTF in case there are spoilers there. So now you know not to do that in the future. :)
Flag
It's also amazingly sad you felt the need to make this comment, but hey don't hear us bitching about it :)
Flag
No. It's sadder, judging by your response, that those like you you have little to no respect for anything and that you had to reply in such a matter to prove it. Why would you, or anyone else here, bitch if you watched??? Even if I did, I still would not be happy TV.com may have spoiled it for others. I like the show, but I am two episodes behind. I catch it On Demand or through Hulu at a later date. i come to this site each day for news and what-not. I expect spoilers in articles and posts, so avoid them as best I can.

What I wrote was a reminder to Miss Sparks and TV.com to not spoil our enjoyment of a show's mysteries and reveals in a lead headline including the use of photos. Remembering that we not all watch a show "live" when it airs and having DVRs and alternative viewing options for later viewing should be obvious by now. I don't care if it's done in the article itself, as I expect that, but to have this mystery unavoidably ruined outright while simply checking the main page's news articles was pure common sense stupidity.

Others have posted annoyances with spoilers revealed for other shows in the News Briefs. If you don't care, or like having your shows spoiled, good for you. Otherwise, shut up. Let Lily Sparks or TV.com defend themselves or apologize and/or correct what they did, if they still need to.

More +
Flag
I still wouldn't even go to tv.com just in case they were spoilers. That's what I do anyway, as I can't always watch stuff live either.
Flag
You have a valid point, but it just strikes me as being misplaced for two reasons.

1. There is the TV.com Feedback Community that seems more appropriate and likely more effective for addressing your concerns.

2. Absence of the common sense civility that is impressively prevalent here.
Flag
... Until Kenna bumps uglies with more men and writes about it while wearing amazing clothes she can't be considered the Carrie Bradshaw of Fronch Court.
... If a man swore to kill his father for me would be kinda hot, unless the said father is a ultra nice then it would be a turn off.
... Diane's soul was the weird hair thingy... wasn't it?
... Catherine was stashing the egg in her secret compartment where she stores daggers, poison and her amazing eye cream.
... Clarissa and Catherine: I would love to see those two together.
... I gasped like 20 times mostly cause Catherine can't die! please show she is awesomeeee.
And Nostradamus is alive! yay I missed the guy!
Flag
Why is everyone assuming that Francis just up and disappeared in the middle of the night, completely on his own? Don't you think if that was the case, people would be out looking for him? The fact that no one has mentioned his being gone should make it obvious that he probably left with everyone's knowledge. He likely went to another city or estate in the country somewhere, and YES, OF COURSE I'm sure he had an escort of guards and servants. Duh.
Flag
It actually was mentioned in the first episode that he wasn't in. It was that he had went off to experience life the way that Bash was able to previously.
Flag
Hey J <3
Flag
Hey!!!! :)
Flag
Two things before I rush off to work.
1. Excellent recap Lily as always!!

2. How down is Nostradamus?!! He is a ride or die! I would love to have him be my friend. He is willing to be beheaded for the truth. We don't even know if he won't be beheaded because IIRC, he's just guest starring. Man it will be an utter waste to get rid of Sexy Nosty.
Flag
What I want to know is when is Bash going to kiss Mary (vs Mary kissing Bash)? I mean, every single time they've kissed, Mary has always been the instigator. I'd love to see him become so overwhelmed by his feelings that he just grabs her in for a passionate snog...

I think the beheading scene has to be one of my favorite so far of the season. The blood, the gore, the ewwww factor when the blade gets lodged deep in his neck and the pause right before King Henry pulls it out and the squidgy gooshy noises. Brilliant work!

As a side note, am I the only one who thought the Medici family was giving off a very vampire-esque vibe? It would explain why Catherine still looks so great for her age. :P
Flag
You're so right!! It will come soon enough but aside the respect factor its the importance of Mary truly loving him thats always driven Bash. His only focus has been her heart. Not her title. So until she opened her heart to him truly and completely he wouldn't have gone for anything. BUT NOW THAT SHE HAS..... Well.... Let the hyperventilation begin
Flag
:D Never thought of that! Love your post! I think Bash is just being respectful of Mary and what she had/has with Francis. I'm with you. Can't wait for that "respectful holding himself back from her" to go flying out the window though! :)
Flag
Hopefully with the episode titled consummation coming soon after the next ep I'm holding out hope that they both lose control and go for it.
Flag
This LMAO is for your dorito comment. I laughed out loud for a good minute. ahahaha. Sooo good.
Flag
Whuuuut! There's an ACTUAL episode called CONSUMMATION??? ((heavy breathing)) *clutching my heart* -rocking back and forth-:THUD:
Flag
I know when I saw it I just about choked on my Dorito
Flag
This show is quickly becoming my favorite one. It has to break the 'historical drama' curse of short lifespan due to, history. Keep the fiction flying writers and this can go on forever. The women who are behind the piece of garbage on ABC 'Killer Women' (Hannah Shakespeare prime culprit. Guess when the only big name behind your production is only known for her 'assets' we shouldn't have expected much.) should be forced to watch what the women behind the scenes of this gem are doing with a story about a girl (and one hell of a woman) and then just quit the business cause they are doing a disservice to the female population putting sh1t like that on the air.

That scene around the bathtub with Mary and Catherine should be on both of their Emmy reels. Megan Follows and Adelaide Kane are both just too good. If I start putting all of my praise for this wonderful episode down, I may not stop. Francis was out of site and damn did Bash just step up to more clearly define himself. The look on his face as he pulled his love from the tub as Catherine's attempt to take Mary with her to the afterlife failed - (hell I'd watch that show too - Catherine and Mary in mortal struggle in the afterlife). Henry hacking up the guard and Megan Follows just going into it with him with the blood all over her face. The reveal of the ghost to be a love child of Catherine's. This show needs to be the face of what the CW is doing now. It needs to make people sit up and take notice that it isn't just about vampires and superheroes and teenage angst anymore.

More+
Flag
There's no way this show won't get a second season it's such a brilliant show full of diverse emotional complex plots and characters. This show strays from the normal and goes outside of the box things happen that through viewers for a loop.
Flag
I COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!!! How can get more people to watch!!??! I can't believe it's on the buble right now to decide if it gets a season two! I heard it's between us and TTP (the tomorrow's people?) sigh This show needs to be "discovered" like Kelly Clarkson.
Flag
I'm a - hopefully - somewhat enlightened male, who doesn't understand why this isn't the number one program for women - all ages - on television. There isn't a single purely despicable, hate-able or shallow female character written. On any other show the character of Kenna would be perhaps the easiest to dislike or take offense to but the way her story is being written and the actress playing the character make her just another perfect piece in the puzzle that is this show about Mary's time in the French Court. All have compelling stories and are rounded characters whose actions whether good or bad are painfully justifiable. This one goes a step further and is writing better well rounded male characters as well. No stock or clichéd (had to use some French) television characters written. Its really wonderful.
Flag
Staff
Truly well said. Reign is an incredibly thoughtful, fast paced and entertaining show with a high opinion of its fans.
Flag
I also like how the show interacts with its fans with the live tweeting during the show and the Q&Ahour on facebook.
Flag
FYI, I actually enjoying your reviews much more than the actual show now. You have me in stitches
Flag
This show is the best. The best. Need it forever. Everything was good and nothing sucked. Mary vs Catherine is the most endlessly entertaining rivalry on television. I love every scene they get together. They're like Emily and Victoria on Revenge with 10x more beheadings.
Flag
lovely review
Flag
I LOVE THIS SHOW! in all honesty the only reason i started watching was because of Bash and Mary's connection. there are very few shows that can capture desire, longing, and true love between characters like that. reminds me of Chuck and Blair. last nights episode was nothing short of exhilarating, both in terms of the events, revelations, and emotions expressed. \
on the one hand there was Catherine and Henry, Catherine the adulterer, Catherine the mother of the Castle Ghost, Catherine the soul shatterer (LITERALLY), and Catherine the murderer but that's nothing new.
Mary and Bash have come such a long way and i am so proud to see Mary be a woman allowing herself to love for the sake of loving and not because she has an obligation to do so. i cant deny that what led her to this point was her love for Francis and to save his life but this episode truly showed the reason why Bash is better for Mary as a person. Francis would have made a better King to her Queen. but Bash.. oh Bash! how anyone can deny that he loves her for who she is and not what she is, is beyond me. the pure mix of thrill, gore, and intensity are the reasons i watch this show and can't get enough of it!
More+
Flag
One of the main reasons I started watching and kept watch was for the intense and complex connection between Bash and Mary so your not the only one.
Flag
I am just at half of the episode but I think it's one of my favorite for now, no actually it is my favorite.
Flag
Now that both ships have seen some quality airtime, which ship are you rooting for?
Poll

Flag
The writing and the boys are so damn good in every episode the answer to this one has to change almost every 15 minutes of screen time. Regbo is just too gdamn charming and was missed this week so this week 'Frary!' - (that sounds so silly) This show!!!! Can I just vote for my desire for Francis and Bash to become brother husbands? The Catholics would really love that!
Flag
I can't wait to see your review! :)...am I the only one who cares what happened to Olivia????!!!!
Flag
Yes you're the only one. Ha, jk.

No but really, she was the worst.
Flag
I hope she comes back preggars claiming it's Franics' baby.
Flag
That has to be where Francis was this episode! Is Yael Grobglas the only person in this cast who is from France?
Flag
She died. She is dead.
Flag
You'd think so, but she is supposed to be coming back.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members