A Reign Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

Reign S01E16: "Monsters"

First off, let’s give Alan Van Sprang a big round of applause. From introducing himself to a young lady via unbuckling his pants to pouring hot candle wax in the ear of a snippy noble, Van Sprang turned “Monsters” into his Scarface. He seemed to genuinely relish every villainous flourish, which made even the most disturbing parts of the episode wildly entertaining. But while Van Sprang stole the spotlight, in terms of plot, “Monsters” was a pivotal episode for the braidies-in-waiting and Bash. Greer lost her Leith and her reputation! Kenna is now Mary’s sister-in-law! Lola only fits into the 16th-century equivalent of yoga pants! And let’s not forget black-swan braidy Olivia, who got a filed-down human tooth pulled out of a festering wound in her back. So that’s what that smell was.

"Monsters" also gifted us with the conceit of the “Bean Queen,” which sounds like it should be a euphemism for something but actually isn’t. Reign’s “Bean Queen” could be rooted in the Mardi Gras tradition of the King’s Cake, which traditionally contains a figurine or a bean and whoever finds the tiny inedible trinket gets customary privileges, though nothing as dramatic as being the literal queen of a country for a day. It also seems extraordinarily generous that the Fronch court would make a cake the size of a bodybuilder out of refined sugar (known around the 16th century as “white gold”) to be eaten exclusively by servants, but as both a visual element and a plot device it was tasty as hell. It was also a golden opportunity for Catherine to sneak some knockout drops past Henry’s seven food tasters before he could go full-on Body of Evidence, wilding out and combining hot wax/sex/death/Madonna with another unfortunate noble.

Penelope seemed totally game to enter into cahoots with Catherine at first, but by the end of the episode it was clear that Bean Queen Penelope had her own agenda. With a wisp of Cockney swagger, a Natalie Dormer-esque smirk, and a dominatrix flair, Penelope quickly won Nutty Henry’s fevered loyalty. Considering Henry himself said that what triggered his insanity was a domineering woman, you’d think, logically, that submission would be the LAST sex game that would appeal to him, but hey, I don’t know that life, that 16th Century Syphilitic Mad King life. 

I also loved that later—when Penelope double-crossed Catherine by putting the Knockout Windex in Catherine’s own goblet of “my husband is craaazy and that B just sat in my throne” wine—Mary was there to catch her bestie mom-in-law when she conked out. Within moments, Mary had Nostradamus at Catherine’s side and was handling it. Just queens helping queens as only queens can. 

“Monsters” also went for the throat with Greer and Leith’s relationship and expanded a B-story plot into a A+ payoff. Greer’s ill-timed kiss with Leith cost her a handsome Hungarian husband-to-be and got Leith clapped into manacles. Later, Greer pointed out to Kenna and Lola how following their hearts had led them terribly astray. Kenna was but a scorned royal mistress! Greer herself was but a kitchen servant’s squeeze! And then hilariously, Greer was like, “Except for you, Lola,” and Mary shot Lola the most white-hot side-eye a camera has ever captured.

Greer’s Hungarian fiance is apparently going to trade in a lady who kissed another guy a few times for a wife who's secretly carrying the king’s baby. Upgrade? It’s sort of an upgrade? Politically, it could be handy. It was fascinating to consider a courtship playing out according to 16th century standards: The Hungarian guy (named Lord Julian? Reign has such a steady influx of hunks week to week it’s hard to keep up) didn’t particularly care about Greer making out with a peasant since he had just met her, but he wouldn’t stand for a breath of scandal around his wife, even if that scandal was only a confirmed kiss. That’s exactly how that would play out, give or take a few refunded dowries. Lord Julian does get points for being nice enough to leave behind the carefully wrapped box of Isotoner Slippers he had purchased for Greer despite the compulsory shunning. 

Ultimately, Greer’s kiss meant more than fumbling a proposal straight into Lola’s graspy little hands, it meant Leith losing his important Spice Internship (seasonings were like the Apple Computers of their day guys) and Greer having no choice but to accept Castlerod a.k.a. Pepperpot a.k.a. Peppercorn’s proposal. Peppers is legitimately the nicest guy on the show, and let me tell you young whippersnappers something when considering your own longterm partners: Kindness lasts. Floppy blonde wedge cuts fall out and fortunes can fail overnight, but a kind heart only improves with time. TRUST. So yeah, obviously it was excruciating to see Leith go off to the army (and look back one final time!), but props to Reign for making me care exponentially about this pair with this one tragic turn. How heartbreaking that they defended each other! How soon ’til Leith is back, guys? Are you going to make a Leith/Greer playlist in their honor? Will it include Blouse’s "Videotapes"? Just me?

Perhaps most importantly, BASH came back this week, bringing all those ambiguous feelings of protection and affection that Mary can ill but conceal. Francis told her not to get close to Bash, and in the next scene, she was striding into his cell. Mary claims she feels nothing but concern for Bash, but she was immediately offended that Bash had had a girlfriend (albeit a slightly chewed one). If you're rooting for Bash, this scene was huge, and let’s be real—Francis can be forgiven for taking Bash's manhunt as a thin pretext to see Mary again. Bash, you could've been on the shores of Spain with a Yardgarita instead of chasing a demonic 16th century Leatherface through the snow. Is your arm sore from that giant torch you’re carrying, Bash?

Bash did also bring news that Francis’s ex was in the castle as well, and Mary hilariously did not leave Francis’s side when they went down to interrogate Olivia, whose hair was STILL looking a way. No I actually love the way Reign's writers have developed Olivia. She went from being the archetypal Threatening Other Woman to being this struggling survivor with greater empathy for those around her. Thank you, Reign, for your track record of depicting women (even ones who sleep with guys who aren't their boyfriends) as whole people. Mary can still be wary, though.

Confident that the Darkness was neither demon nor rock band but mere man (albeit a super creepy one with a cult of followers and the inclination to both file down a tooth and leave it in a girl’s back), Bash and Francis decided to go catch the varmint. Of course, each guy not trusting that the other WASN’T trying to kill him made things awkward until Francis pulled an “Amy” (Little Women reference for everyone who's not 87) and fell through the ice. The trail to the disembodied hand was great enough, but holy cow that shot of Francis hilariously floating past Bash, like “Whooop gotta go!”

I couldn't've loved the amazing underwater shots with Bash rescuing Francis more. Just an amazing image, and it must've been SO hard to film. Well done, Reign, pulling off another ambitious visual. Story-wise, it was the fastest way to cement a peace between Bash and Francis. See, you guys shouldn’t be so quick to assume that your own brother is plotting to kill you. Maybe the real problem here is the sex fiend who's banging every woman with or without a pulse and running around a stone castle barefoot. Yes, Henry ordered the hit on Bash! And he had even more nefarious plans for his once-favorite son.

Kenna was somehow furious about this arrangement, as Henry had promised her a titled suitor, but hey: At least you don’t have to go through anymore 50 Shades of Syphilitic Sadism, Kenna. You’re free of your Faustian deal to please Henry until he finds you a hubby, AND it's Bash, he's a sweetie. The wedding was a shockingly abrupt turn for such a major character as Bash that caught me completely off guard, and as Kenna tearfully pointed out, a marriage can’t be undone. Benna wasn't betrothed, they were full-on wed, and now Mary and Bash and Francis are gong to be having hella awkward moments sitting at the same feast table in the castle cafeteria. 

QUESTIONS:

... Mary seemed tres jalouse about Katniss, non?

... Olivia and Nostradamus: adorable, or technically a case of psychological transference?

... What are the chances Lola will get married without Francis finding out about the baby first: zero percent or 0.1 percent?

... Darkness: creepier that it's a psycho, yeah?

... If King Henry comes out of his Crazy Fugue, will he regret this forced marriage? Tangentially, WILL he come out of his Crazy Fugue before Catherine gets ahold of his porridge?

... Kenna and Bash?! Will theirs be A) a loveless marriage, B) a friendly power coupling that leaves them both free to do their thang, C) an unlikely but unstoppable romance?

What'd you think of "Monsters"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

108 Comments
Comments (125)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'm actually reading Little Women for the first time right now. I've already read the part with Amy falling through the ice, but I'm only about a third of the way through the book, so no one spoil it for me! (Well, any more than Friends already spoiled it! That's what I get for watching friends so many times that I can't forget a single line!)
Flag
I must have missed something. Why would Greer be Le ith's mother in law? Is Lord Castleroy his father. Where do they say this? The heck with Francis and Bash.
Flag
omg - these are the funniest memes everrrr! more pls!!
Flag

Well of course Mary is kinda jealous I mean Bash declared his undying love and then like three seconds after their breakup he bumps uglies with the first girl he encounters? that kinda hurts.
Olivia and Nostradamus are freaking adorable and thank you Reign for giving the bearded guy some backstory.
Zero percent, cause let's be real waaay too many people know about Lola´s pregnancy.
Darkness is a psycho ... cool? I mean I really don't care about that story line crazy barefooted Henry is way more entertaining.
Henry will stay crazy until he suffers an awful death.
Kenna and Bash? what? it is so weird and entertaining, please I need more!
And Kenna is so much fun she cries cause she is bethoted to Bash? for reals? I mean he is a recognized bastard so he must have some money, and he is hot, super chill and has crazy eyes so the sex must be great.
Flag
Well to be fair, so did Mary. In one episode she was completely devoted to marrying Bash and then next thing you know she's bumping uglies with Francis ... but at least Mary didn't have to watch as the ugly bumping was going on.
Flag
Henry's going to die or get killed off right? I mean.. if Game of Thrones teaches us anything, the mad King always gets killed, sure the king's slayer goes and bones his own sister but that's not my point at the moment!
Flag
This show is just the best. Barefoot!Henry was almost overshadowed though, because oh my god IT'S EMILY!!!!!! I can't be the only one who watches Skins and The CW...

I just about died when Kenna was sobbing about her abrupt marriage vows. Because, girl please, Bash isn't going to give a crap if you want to sex every boy in town, he's chill. He'll be staring though Mary's window all hours and won't have time for your drama anyhow, you're free! I love the way Bash invited Mary and Frances to the horror show wedding, with just a casual, "Good ol' Dad's being crazy again!" This is just solid television.
Flag
It kind of sounded like they were required to be there more than they were invited. I mean Catherine was even there as she was getting over her coma inducing potion that was supposed to be slipped to Henry and she really has very little connection with either the bride or groom. Henry wanted them there and some if it could have been royal duty-Bash is Francis' half brother and Kenna is one of Mary's ladies (despite that like the others she seems to do very little).
I do know that if Henry forced Bash to marry me I probably would not be crying. I would be perfectly happy to marry him and try my best to make him forget about Mary (and Rowan).
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Love your post! Voted it up! Thanks for pointing out Kenna's over the top bawling. I don't watch skins but that actress Emily(?) was REALLY good! I think she'll be in the next one too. Love all of Reign's guest stars, each has been pretty great!
Flag
Staff
It was ridiculous how upset Kenna was. Royal bastards still had a lot of cache at court if they were recognized and he's known overall as being a pretty chill dude so girl, it could have been A LOT WORSE. The barefoot reveal genuinely made me laugh.
Flag
Lily, you make my Fridays... ☺
Flag
anyone know the song at the end when mary and bash are talking?
Flag
All I Want by Dawn Golden Whenever I want to know the song from Reign or any other show, I use this site http://www.tunefind.com/show/reign/season-1/17600#songs
Flag
thank you!
Flag
You're welcome! Happy to help! I love music from Reign too :)
Flag
Thanks for the info, too. But, it doesn't list what the beautiful piano music was from episode 13 -- The Consummation -- when Mary told Bash she couldn't marry him. :(
Flag
First of all, Lily, the recaps are the best I have ever read. They are so funny and entertaining. They are the first thing I look for on Fridays. Thank you for the most perfect captions ever!

This episode totally belonged to Alan van Sprang. He was positively menacing as mad King Henry! The complete matter-of-fact way in asking Mary to "show Penelope the ropes" was just amazing. The best part was his comment to Greer - filled with mischief, malice and madness. And the last scene took the cake! The beheading of the guard in "Inquisition" was still his shining moment but this was brilliant nevertheless!

I really think there needs to be a "I &3 Catherine" fan club AND a "I &3 Megan Follows" fan club. I always watch the episodes twice to re-watch her scenes. Her dialogue delivery, her pauses, her expressions were amazing, esp. when she described the king's sexual appetite. I also loved her fake smile and nod when Penelope said she knew how to handle the king, and again when Penelope asked for the throne. So much shade! Her anger and horror as the king kissed Penelope and as she lunged for her crown - so good! Megan Follows is a QUEEN! The best was her little smile and head twist before screaming "She's not a QUEEN!" So perfect! I have already re-watched that sequence so many times. And to cap it all off, she flexes her comedy muscles in her potion-induced drowsy stupor. I loved how she just put her head in her hand like she was having the world's worst hangover. I could go on forever about how she steals the show every episode. Perhaps that's why the one thing I hated was Penelope pulling one over her. I like to think of Catherine as invincible, so this was maddening. But I can't wait till Catherine gets back at her! Penelope is so going down!

Also, special shout-out to Catherine's clothes this episode. The blue/gold outfit was bang on - perfect for a queen, and yet made her look gorgeous. My favorite though was the white dress. I know it was not very regal, but boy did she look breathtaking! And I loved her hair down. The pictures from Liege Lord have already blown me away. Megan Follows/Catherine looks so good, and just gets better every episode! So curious who Liam is and why she is caressing his cheek.

Lord Julian is a complete dreamboat. I hope they don't turn him into some psycho! Love that Kenna stood up for Greer and actually tried to stand up to the king. I hope they can figure out a way to annul her marriage to Bash; neither of them deserve this. What I really want to know is where King Henry gets his pedicures - those are some pampered feet! Lastly, were my eyes playing tricks or did I see Sarah (the pagan maid that tried to kill Mary) among the staff at the Bean Queen cake thing?

The 2-week wait for more Reign is totally killing. Thanks for bearing with my fangirling!
More+
Flag
Good Catch re: King Henry's manicured feet! Someone should ask the actor about this on twitter :) I need Henry's manicurist (or is it pedicurist?) and Queen Catherine's eye cream!
Flag
pedicure = feet :) His fingers probably are great, too!
Flag
Staff
Thank you! That makes my day. This show is a lot of fun to watch and discuss considering how much jaw-dropping footage is packed into every episode. Megan Follows is everything! If you start an I &3 Megan Follows club please let me join.
Flag

Like the Queen Bean tradition, don’t think Catherine is happy about the servants wearing her precious jewels dough.

My first thought when the girl got the Queen Bean: dead girl walking. But s*** innocent looking girl is manipulatively evil. But will probably not survive Queen Catherine next week. (Haven’t seen the promo so don’t know anything)

Karma came for Kenna. Unfortunately for Bash, he got his dads leftovers. Kenna should never have broken ties to Mary, if she still listened to her command, the king wouldn’t be able to force her to marry.

Wanted a more hateful reaction from Mary at finding out Olivia is back in the castle. She was practically Francis’ mistress and that wasn’t addressed and also no mention of Olivia leaving the girls stranded when the castle was taken over.

Ow, how sweet was Mr Pepper, boring but a really good husband to have. And Greer, giving her ex-fiancé to Lola. Mary and her ladies are really into sharing.

Hey, look at that, for ones no Francis hate in my comment, a record has been set.

Episode started real slow but what a finish. Love this show so much, it’s getting higher and higher on my list.

Loved the 50 shades of grey comment, still laughing about it.

1. Mary jealous: Yep, can’t really blame her though, I would be too.

2. Francis baby knowledge: He’ll know and he’ll stop that wedding from happening.

3. Darkness: still no feelings about it

4. King Henry: Don’t think he’ll mind, as long as he can still get her in his bed. He doesn’t really mind sleeping with a married woman so it makes no difference.

5. Kenna and Bash: I want a loveless marriage with lots of sleeping around (preferably Bash with Mary)

More+
Flag
IKR? That bean queen girl looked SO innocent and then SWITCH! pun intended ;-) I think it's in part a credit to the make-up artist form wholesome to sultry.
Flag
Bash is now married to his Father's mistress. His kinky, crazy Father who asked his daughter-n-law the Queen of Scotland to get it on with a kitchen wench while he watched. I'm guessing Spain is looking good right about now.
Flag
King Henry=The Darkness, maybe?
Flag
No filed teeth though, unless they are dentures
Flag
God it seems like with each episode Bash's life just gets worse and worse. I couldn't help laughing when Henry told Mary to show Penelope how to please a king, her face just said it all. The funniest bit still has to be Greer pointing Lola out as the only one who hasn't brought shame to Mary. Aw poor Leith, his part in this episode felt like a double edged sword, on the one hand he got to live but on the other he's lost both the apprenticeship and the woman he loves at the same time. If I had a drink while watching the end of this episode my screen would've had droplets all over it coz I did not see that marriage coming. I did find it a little funny that Kenna's complaint was that Henry promised her a man of title and Henry's like fine and gives Bash a title. I felt bad for the other characters because all they could do was stand there and watch since Henry is the king and crazy. I am so loving this series with each new episode and I am so happy it has a second season.
Flag
Poor Bash, it seems like he's always getting "bashed about" (pun intended) or getting locked up in the dungeon (three times so far).

I was also thinking that Leith gets out of jail, but could easily get killed being a soldier. I hope not.
Flag
Greith is my favorite couple on this show. I thought I may have just seen the last of Leith (*tear), but then I found this......I wonder when we'll see his sweet face again??

Retweeted by Jonathan Keltz
"@jonnykanyon: Yeah yeah yeah, peppercorn is sweet #reign #imscrewed" Something tells me we haven't seen the last of Leith... #Reign
Flag
Yay!!!
Flag
"and Mary shot Lola the most white-hot side-eye a camera has ever captured"...Hahahahaha what a great screen grab! That look says everything that needs to be said about that situation.
The Bash-Kenna wedding was a shocker. Did not see that coming. Maybe it can be undone because I doubt those two are going to consummate it. Most shows have a wedding once in its entire run, if all goes well, but this show, this show has a wedding/engagement every 3 episodes. Maybe 'twere the times. The meteoric pacing of this show kind of worries me because I feel like we're hurtling towards King Henry and Francis's deaths. But I know that can't be the case.
Henry's speech about Bash coveting what Francis has isn't so much out of concern for Francis and Mary, because Henry's too far gone to be caring about anyone's happiness. If anything, Henry ships France with England more than anything, and Mary is his only way to get there. But I do think Bash needs to accept Mary's rejection. Francis did in Episode 9 with his "F-you" "Long may you reign" speech. I don't understand Bash's reasoning that Mary could have been happy without Francis, because clearly that's not what she thought when she chose to marry Francis. It wasn't a wedding forced at sword-point by a barefoot King.
More+
Flag
I think his point was simply that she wouldn't have been unhappy married to Bash and Francis knew that. Which...yea, she was happy with him. It just didn't change the fact that she loved Francis more.
Flag
Well there's happy and then there's HAPPY! lol Yes, Mary could have chosen to be happy with Bash but only if Francis stayed away from court. You saw her reaction when Francis returned and she was clearly shaken and still wanting him/in love with him. She was trying to make the best out of that situation due to the prophecy after all. Out of sight, out of mind and all that.
Flag
While I give some credence to what you just said. I prefer to think the real reason why Mary loved Francis "more" was b/c she hadn't been physically intimate with Bash. If she had... I think (hope) it would've been a different story. :-)
Flag
God I hope she wouldn't be that superficial but she had opportunities to sample that merchandise as well! lol
Flag
Mary seemed tres jalouse about Katniss, non? She did indeed. I was hoping from some jealousy on her part and was pleasantly surprised because I didn't think we'd get there yet.
Olivia and Nostradamus: adorable, or technically a case of psychological transference? Ugh, adorable. I love them surprisingly enough, but I am almost positive Olivia will die before the end of the season.
What are the chances Lola will get married without Francis finding out about the baby first: I don't know. I'm not sure she'll end up married after some new spoilers I read... (In 1x18 she'll doubt his intentions so she's not married by then, and he's not going to be back for the last episode, but I don't know why. He might come back for the second season though, who knows. But I thought it was strange that he's done filming before the finale.
Darkness: Scary and wtf?
If King Henry comes out of his Crazy Fugue, will he regret this forced marriage?: LOL FOR SURE
Kenna and Bash?! Will theirs be A) a loveless marriage, B) a friendly power coupling that leaves them both free to do their thang, C) an unlikely but unstoppable romance? I think it might be a mix between A and B, but maybe they'll try to pull a C eventually. I don't know...
More+
Flag
Flag
Thanks, I've read those. I wonder when it's going to happen, but I'm wondering if something happens to him somewhere right after the wedding? I know that they said that the wedding would be a "red" wedding or in other words a "bloody" wedding.
Flag
I think/hope Kenna will vow to never touch Henry again (and follow through on it). I see her and Bash becoming a power couple. He will keep her safe from Henry and she will be surprisingly faithful to him perhaps? They had a really good scene in one of the first episodes when they discuss Henry. I think the consummation ceremony is only for royals though.

It was very poor form of Henry to have his mistress marry his bastard son. At least Bash finally has a title now.
Flag
I don't know, he did say in yesterday's episode that he did not particularly like Kenna. It looked like he only married her to save both their lives. Kenna kept complaining and Henry was getting angrier so Bash turned and said the vows or whatever quickly while she was still crying.
Flag
I had forgotten about that scene between Kenna and Bash early on, that was a good scene. I kept trying to remember if we'd ever seen them speak to each other before.
Flag
I hope that Kenna's marriage with Bash will change Kenna.
I dont really like her charector right now but that could change if she changes
Flag
BRAVA to the writers for royally creating chaos upon chaos upon the shower of shit hitting the fan ever since the consummation. which im still not altogether over btw,... im looking at you laurie mccarthy... still on my hate list missy

regardless this episode was all ooo... uh oh.. and STFU moments.

My absolute favourite moment was mary getting jelly, i was clapping and smiling like an idiot. that moment was by far the best thing to have happened since the dreaded consummation. shes all Mrs. Smith finding out Mr. Smith had a previous wife, "WHATS HER NAME AND SOCIAL INSURANCE NUMBER" "NO YOU'RE NOT GOING TO KILL HER"
essentially Bash tells her to calm her tits and she knows she has no right since she literally galloped and sprinted to Francis upon shattering Bash's heart into a bajillion pieces. it was just way too much fun to see. and the fact that Bash is not the least bit phased is just a plus

what i also made note of and appreciated was that Mary STILL confides in Bash more than Francis. i mean as SOOOON as she sees him she admits her fears of Francis and his jealousy.

Frola baby is going to cause more chaos, do you not see a pattern with the writers here? CHAOS FOR ALL

this whole darkness business just got 5000 times creepier with the fact that its HUMAN... i think i would have been more accepting and at ease if it was some magical being but nooooo, they haveeee to make it human with chiseled FANGS
... im just really hoping its a medieval Jacob looking thing (please be hot please be hot)

OKAY, HENRY, SERIOUSLY I NEED YOU TO STOP.. HENRY STAHHHP, JUST STAHHHP IT
thats all i could muster fully aware i sound like Sammy from Jersey Shore but seriously this whole downward spiral is beyond entertaining and completely frustrating. Alan Van Sprang is impeccable but PLEASE SOMEONE PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE WITH A CHAIR ALREADY

and as for that Bean Queen, i hope she gets the worst of Catherine's fury

poor kenna and bash, i dont even know how i feel about it just yet. i mean they havent had more than one scene alone together all season and they were talkign about Kenna and Henry which as Bash put it was extremely uncomfortable.

my first question is, will there be a consummation and will Mary be forced to watch? well i think if Laurie wrote the next episode its a possibility....
BUT as much as i dislike this abrupt Henry-induced cuffuffle, i think i see a half-decent relationship between them. 1) the'll make one hell of a sassy husband and wife, 2) they will come to a mutual understanding of where they stand with one another because both are very blunt and straight forward characters 3) because froncy pants is going to live for a full year i hope Bash and Kenna will develop something during that time, at the very least friendship because i think they can come to care for one another... OR 4) they stay very far away from one another but that would be lame 5) they get close and Mary gets even more jelly..... cue evil laugh *muahahaha*

btw can we talk about the zoom on Henrys bare feet..... i dont get it..

More+
Flag
The close up of Henry's bare feet was CRAAAAAAA-ZAY!!! Shocking!!! :O lol I think it was to emphasize that he's now gone 1000% bonkers. They say if someone goes barefoot when it's clearly inappropriate to do so like in the snow, down the street.... IN THE THRONE ROOM DURING A FORCED WEDDING LOOOOL it's a clear sign that they've truly gone mad! I for one loved Henry's bare feet! When Bash saw it, he knew no amount of pleading from Kenna was going to put a stop to the horror show--and that he better say the vows. Poor dude! But I LOVE how Bash just embraces the crazy. I laughed SOOO HARD at Bash telling the guards as though it was good news that he's been titled MASTER OF HORSE & HUNT!!!
Guard: I don't take orders from bastards
Bash: Haven't you heard?! I've been given the title Master of Horse and Hunt! So gather your horses and go hunt!
Guards: (bowing) Yes My Lord.
mineta: rollling on the floor laughing and hitting into all her furniture but still rolling and laughing b/c I just couldn't stop :D
Flag
That was by far the best scene!! Now go and hunt!! He takes all the hits and low blows with such grace its impressive
Flag
You think so too!!! He really does! If there's one single quality I'd like to take from any of these Reign characters it would be that-Bash's ability to handle the low blows of life with grace and style! Love it! :)
Flag
I love how he says it with a smirk and such sarcasm. Love it AND him!!
Flag

1) Mary seemed tres jalouse about Katniss, non? yes she does

2) Olivia and Nostradamus: adorable, or technically a case of psychological transference? the second one

3) What are the chances Lola will get married without Francis finding out about the baby first: zero percent or 0.1 percent? 0%

4) Darkness: creepier that it's a psycho, yeah? I think it's both creepy & psycho

5) If King Henry comes out of his Crazy Fugue, will he regret this forced marriage? Tangentially, WILL he come out of his Crazy Fugue before Catherine gets ahold of his porridge? it's possible he'll die before he stops becoming crazy

6) Kenna and Bash?! Will theirs be A) a loveless marriage, B) a friendly power coupling that leaves them both free to do their thang, C) an unlikely but unstoppable romance? B) a friendly power coupling that leaves them both free to do their own thing
Flag
Crazy Henry is just all kinds of wonderful entertainment. I hope Bash and Kenna can be happy.. I mean, they're both hot so why not?!
Flag
I like your B choice for Kenna and Bash. I don't really want to see them as a romantic pairing, but it could be cool if they became allies.

I recommend he refrains from sleeping with her, though, she could have syphilis :P
Flag
Maybe it's just me but i kinda wanted Bash to marry Lola. Remember when they flirted a really long time ago?
Flag
Me, too. She was the only one who stayed with Bash when he was wounded.
Flag
this episode was spectacularly good, but Lily your review was the highlight of the experience. you had me cracking repeatedly to the point of a tear.
Totally didn't see the Bash and Kenna wedding coming. I knew they were going to have to find a way to keep Bash around to add drama to the Frary marriage. For now the brothers are brothers again, but that can change on the drop of a dime with one wayward look from Mary at Bash.
I'm glad that Francis got the chance to convince Bash and everyone else that he didn't put the hit out on Bash. Bash seemed to want to believe Francis, and then Francis was fully exonerated when He ry confessed to doing it.
I hope Lola marries the Lord and goes away, I don't care for her character. The lady in waiting I couldn't stand was Kenna but now it's easily Lola because I see her as an obvious plot device and it bugs me.
I can't wait to see if and how Kenna tries to get back at Henry for what he has done to her.
Best performance today (other than Henry of course) still goes to Catherine. I loved the way she walked away and said stupide kitchen whore!
Can't get enough if this character.
More+
Flag
Mary seemed tres jalouse about Katniss, non?
Well all the women who watch this is pretty jealous of Katniss when Bash kissed her, so yes!
... Olivia and Nostradamus: adorable, or technically a case of psychological transference?
This will be temporary... Something i won't be dwelling upon.
... What are the chances Lola will get married without Francis finding out about the baby first: zero percent or 0.1 percent?
What are the chances that she will make it with Lord Julian?
... Darkness: creepier that it's a psycho, yeah?
Maybe he is big foot.
... If King Henry comes out of his Crazy Fugue, will he regret this forced marriage? Tangentially, WILL he come out of his Crazy Fugue before Catherine gets ahold of his porridge?
Catherine will get her throne back. Queen Penelope is just a minor setback... Catherine will get her revenge, she always do.
... Kenna and Bash?! Will theirs be A) a loveless marriage, B) a friendly power coupling that leaves them both free to do their thang, C) an unlikely but unstoppable romance?
D) Don't know about them being friendly, but they have their own agendas around the castle. Bash is just too noble to be stand close to Kenna.
One last added question that Lily Sparks didnt ask...
Who is now hoping for the death of King Henry?
At the rate he is going, he will die soon. I love to see him killed by Bash. Now that Bash is not his favourite anymore. Kenna should know well that the King will never give her to someone else that is rich and has a title. Since she is marrying Bash, someone in vicinity with the King, she can be called upon whenever he is please. Can anyone predict the faith of Penelope?
More+
Flag
Another winner. Finally a show that comes out of the gate from the pilot and hasn't let up since. I haven't seen this confident a run of episodes of any network show in a long time. Just when you think it will do what most do and 'settle in' they throw in more twists and turns that work into this world. The women, and the men, that came to work on this show must be having such a wonderful time in this world because the performances have been more solid than anything else I've watched on this network. Sure you have the sex and violence but when it comes out of scripts this dense and full of material and you get THESE confident performances from this young cast. If this show hadn't gotten a sophomore season I would have been completely stunned and really pissed off.

Only disappointment this week - they didn't say 'Queen of the Bean' or 'Bean Queen' nearly enough times in this episode to make it a drinking game. Kathryn Prescott was always one of my favorite 'Skins' teens. 'Emily-Lily!' Loved it that she was anything but the naïve servant girl. From kitchen help to bondage Queen - only on 'Reign'! The scene with Catherine feeling her out (Phrasing!, sorry....) telling her about Henry's bedroom prowess was, 'Psych' this year coined the phrase 'Sweevil" and that's what Catherine does to perfection - sweetness covering up her true malicious intent. She had no idea that is exactly what she was getting in return from the Bean Queen. Catherine doesn't normally underestimate her victims so it was a nice turn. Mary to the rescue in the end - these girls will never quit each other will they....!!!!!!!!!

Greer and Leith - damn you show for making me care about the most forbidden young love - shows have been there done that 1000x before. But this one - So protective of one another after getting caught in the kiss. Castleroy seeing all of it and admiring the fact that this beautiful lady - despite her rank - could fall in love with someone in the kitchen. He's so impressed that this stunning noble young woman is deep enough to look past something as trivial as wealth and title. He is the man. Nothing X-rated to see here but a Lady falling in love with a servant. The best part - Castleroy is totally in love with her as well and willing to be the one marrying the Lady who kissed the kitchen boy who has become the dirty conversation piece around Court. Her and L-o-l-a Lola in the balcony chatting I'm loving these scenes because Greer still isn't paying enough attention to Lola to notice HER issues. That line, 'I hope he turns to see me' as he catches one last glimpse of her after being conscripted. Stop this now writers!..... And this is approximately the 'D' story line on this show.

You knew things weren't going to be all roses for Kenna when she started climbing on her high horse at the girls' tea party. Sleeping with the King is one thing - kissing a servant is the lowest you can stoop to at Court, except for the fact that THIS ONE got impregnated by your Prince. You could almost see Kenna's chair elevating to the ceiling in that scene. And then she just becomes a pawn in King's (called it Henry paid Francis' guards) syphilis induced torture of Sebastian. I made you watch your brother marry and consummate said marriage with your Love, now I'm going to make your marry my main squeeze who replaced your mother. Is Henry going to be coming to their room in the castle to make Bash watch him screw Kenna? Poor Kenna. All she wanted was a titled husband. She was so over her head from the start and never realized it. Talk about not settling in to comfortable beats on a show. This is awesome putting Bash and Kenna together. Maybe not what the characters wanted but I'm interested. And Mary - think she was trés désole about 'Katniss'?? Did you see her face at that sham of a wedding?

Alan Van Sprang is having too much fun playing a demented King. He saw something in his warped head he liked about Mary watching her consummate her marriage to his son so he wants to watch her teach the Bean Queen some bedroom tricks - in front of him. Mary was perfect getting out of that one. And Ewwwwwwww. That scene was appropriately as awesome as it was chilling. He's losing his marbles in front of everyone and a Mad King is the most dangerous because the unpredictability is what frightens the masses and leads to revolts and invasions. He just dumps hot wax into one of his nobles ears for not listening to him - he's just f'in with this one because he doesn't have enough money to raise a militia, what happens when he does that to one that can? Kathryn Prescott is around for a few episodes but I'm thinking 'The Bean Queen' has already made an enemy that doesn't give her much hope of surviving very long. Another little girl - thinking she's smarter than the Queen and can use her wiles to keep the king at her beck and call who is going to learn the hard way. (Sorry again....Phrasing!!!! I know.)

Brothers united - thank you show for not dragging that on and satisfyingly putting a cork in it for a while. Hopefully they can get poor Rowan to Nostradamus soon. Then we'll have Olivia and Rowan competing for Nostradamus. Still loving Olivia and Nostradamus and the fact that with so much going on we haven't gotten Catherine's nose in that one at all. Can't wait to see what they find in the woods.

Mary and Lola. Lola needs to just STFU and let Mary work. She so desperately wants to be having the Prince's baby and Lola is sitting there bitching about not fitting into her dresses to put a fire under Mary's butt. And then you nitpick about the selections? Some nerve. Greer so sweetly giving permission for Lola to talk to the boy her parents tried to fix her up with. Mary is the Queen and she isn't getting anything out of it. And then Mary finds the knocked out Queen and gets everyone in line to help her.

OK, I'll stop this novel. I am in love with these characters and this show. Adelaide and Megan; the Queens, Caitlin, Celina and Anna; the Ladies, and Alan, Toby, Rossif, and Torrence; the boys and Katie (one of the monsters in the dark) make this one of the best Casts to spend time with weekly.

(1) Her eyes lit up and turned into a scorn when Bash was telling the story, so yes.
(2) Can it be an adorable case of psychological transference? He is so lovely to her.
(3) Zero percent - Mary is going to slip soon because if he finds out before Mary tells him - this show could get more awesome and I'm not sure that is possible.
(4) 1000x creepier that its some dude in the woods
(5) Honestly can't figure an answer to that one. I think he'd have a laugh about it first.
(6) With the writers handling this world I will gratefully leave the answer to that question in their hands. I don't think it can ever be an unstoppable romance - but once he becomes her protector, anything is possible.
More+
Flag
I figured that Rowan was dead.
Flag
Whomever it is (speaking of the 'monster') seems to like to keep its captures alive to torture for a while so I guess I'm holding out some hope for pseudo-Mary. All we saw is her hand, not a mangled body, and she seemed a lot more suited for being treated roughly for weeks than did Olivia, who was and who escaped. I'm always of the 'if you don't see a body, then the character is still alive' school of thought.
Flag
I would think Kenna would be happy to marry anyone as long as it means she doesn't have to risk life, limb, and venereal disease with Henry anymore. Like honestly after she woke up beside the dead girl that should have been "okay, time to marry the first guy I make eye contact with" time.
Flag
I still feel like the door is not closed on Greer and the kitchen lad. The merchant man seems fairly accommodating.
Flag
Psst, Laurie (the writer) said we'll be seeing him again last night during the live tweeting, so yes, we'll see him again, I don't know if it'll be this season though, it might not be until next. I really love Lord Castleroy. He's so kind.
Flag
Soooo... He wasn't okay with Greer kissing a kitchen boy, but he's never going to figure out Lola is knocked up with the prince's bastard... And if he does, he's going to be fine with it, much better option than the gay guy from last week?

Quick Question.... How little did people know about pregnancy in the 16th century?
Flag
For about 90% of this episode I was delighting in the outrageous, Kingly craziness and just massively entertained. Then that last few mins happened and suddenly it's 'Oh shit. There are proper, genuine repercussions when a King with that much power goes crazy.' Poor Bash. Poor Kenna. There were so many powerful people standing around that room yet all they could do was stand around and watch because he's the King and that was life back then and just.. Eurgh. It's time to take down Henry, guys.

Good episode though. Really good to see Bash and Francis start to rebuild their relationship. Glad they didn't stretch that out too long.
Flag
Loved this episode it was great Henry has gone nuts and it brilliant. I loved the moment between Mary and bash in the cell the not so suttle hint of jealousy had me squealing. That sevent was all types of great she went from this innocent yougn thing to this power crazy huntress on the prowl, she had guts to go up against Catherine and risk Henry's madness. I'm very interested how this Kenna and bash thing will work, maybe he'll be a good influence on her.
Flag
Liked the episode! Loved Francis and Bash working together and the honesty of their talks. I really liked the admission of Francis that he trusted and admired Bash- and I think that really is the source of his rage about Bash and Mary's betrayal. The person he loved and trusted most for years went after his life and his woman. Not Cool. I liked them standing up for one another here.

Yay for me being right about king Henry ordering the hit on Bash. I have been saying that since 1x13. I thought it was about Bash's pagan leanings or something to do with Rome but I was always fairly certain that Henry was plotting agains bash because he now views Bash as a threat to France's stability.

I like this jealous Mary we are seeing hints of. I don't doubt she loves Francis more or how she is committed to him but she cares about Bash as well. It is nice to see her act like a spoiled little girl because she wants to have her cake and eat it to. I would love for her to acknowledge this shit situation is her own making- even this thing with Lola is making me laugh a little because by Mary taking away Francis life, she put all of this in motion. The destruction has been inadvertent but there.

I am interested in Kenna and Bash. While he really loves Mary, I could see Bash growing to care for his wife. I think it will be fun to watch.
More+
Flag
Good call on it being Henry!! I thought you were totally wrong, becauseI never felt that Bash had any pagan leanings ( he told Mary he was Catholic. Knowledge of the pagans does not equal leanings) and that Bash was his favorite son, BUT, the favorite son ended for good after Bash went after the throne.
Flag
Mary definitely needs to acknowledge her hand in creating this situation between Francis and Bash. While Francis has spoken of regrets, Mary never apologized to him for all the crap she started with the idea of legitimization/marriage to Bash. She did tell Bash she was sorry that she couldn't marry him but he had to know she still had feelings for Francis all along.
Flag
I agree Mary brought all of this on herself. I don't see the jealousy of her over Bash as meaning that she wants him. It's human nature to be with someone new but to want your ex to still pine for you. Also did you see her face when Bash said Olivia was still in the castle? She got a little jealous there too. So Mary is just being a young 2oman with a bunch of human feelings going on.
Flag
The contrasts between characters is something Reign does so well. You have the faceless threat being hunted in the woods, while there's a real very powerful threat in the castle with a mad king. You have a high born girl of virtue being shamed while there's a servant playing queen with no virtue at all. You have kindness both from Julien (he was very nice about it) and Castleroy which contrasts with the cruelty from Henry. Two people who thought they hated each other saving each other and two people who loved each other destroying each other. Not to mention the difference between Bash and Kenna's forced marriage and Olivia and Nostradamus being genuine. It's all very well done.

Bash and Kenna actually got on quite well in the beginning. So maybe there's hope. Although not sure what Kenna's family is going to think when she writes home saying she married the Kings illegitimate son because he was waving a sword at them. Olivia
Flag
There's also that whole thing with Kenna jeopardizing Bash's life when she told Catherine about the legitimization plans. I was originally thinking that Bash didn't know that Kenna had done that, but he must have been told everything (Bash: how did Catherine even find out about the legitimization, Diane: well, Kenna found out from the priest and told her). Which is why (I think) at the end, Bash told Mary he didn't like Kenna. I'm curious to see how things turn out.
Flag
Word. I totally love your insightful points about all the contrasts.

I'm interested to see where this Bash and Kenna thing goes.
Flag
I like this new development wih Penelope and Henry. He's a lot more interesting as a threat than "the darkness". Really, between sucking blood and forcing people to mary and chocking girls... I'm going to have give the cruelty crown to Henry. This insane, sadistic king really makes the whole show so much more interesting.
Also, I can't wait to see what happends when Francis finds out about the baby. Frankly I'm impressed they've been able to hide it for so long. Usually a storyline like that doens't hold for more than an episode.
I've got to say: French court is like freaking wife swap. Allthough I can't help but think that Bash and Kenna make one hell of a power couple. Henry's punishment might just backfire there.
But I feel really sorry for Leigh. He seemed like a sweet guy and now he's going to die some horrific disease ridled death on a battlefield, while Greer ends up with an old dude who will treat her like a queen. Seems slightly unfair.
Flag
Thanks Lily, I snorted my drink out my nose, not once, but twice reading this...you think I would have learned the first time. You had me at "hell beast". PS I think Olivia and Nostradamus are super cute, they can be all scruffy and unkempt together.
Flag
The last 10 minutes made this episode. Oh Penelope, "you in danger girl". She should have tried to curry favour with both Henry and Catherine, choosing one side and especially the side of a lunatic was idiotic.

Man I wish I could forget that Catherine ordered the rape of Mary in the early episodes, because without that she would easily be my favourite character. I mean I'm totally in "like" with her, but if I'm being honest that whole situation still sticks in my craw. Other than that, everything about her is fantastically entertaining. I watch Reign for Bash, but I stay for Catherine.

Speaking of Bash, he was like old Bash again. Intelligent, witty, self deprecating… sigh #muchLove Bash &3

Him being forced to marry Kenna was perfection, I can't wait till their squabbling leads to some crazy angry sex. Wouldn't it be amazing if all of Mary's ladies got pregnant within the year.

As much as it sucks for Greer to be shamed, she still ended up in the best situation. Being married to an extremely wealthy man who loves her like whoa, isn't so bad in my opinion. I don't think Leith is gone for good though, so I guess we'll see what happens.

P.S. Kudos to Lily for working a Body of Evidence and a Little Women reference into her review. LOL

P.P.S WHY is there no screen grab of Frances strutting around in his fur lined cape???!!! I laughed about it all night.

More+
Flag
I am strangely happy for Greer. She has wound up with a good man- who sees her good heart. He isn't Leith but all the same, he will love and cherish her.
Flag
When I saw the fur cape, I was so sure we were going to get a GOT reference
Flag
I can wait to see what Catherine will do to the Bean Queen.

Peppercorn is the sweetest thing and I hope Greer will fall for him for real. Seems so silly that Greer got dumped as she's the only one of these girls that actually has any virtue left. And how sinister of the girls to plot the poor chap to Lola, hahah.

Bash is back on court and that's good but I really hope we don't have to watch some cringe worthy stuff with him and Kenna trying to consummate anything, ew. Loved how Mary was instantly jealous too, Francis isn't exactly stupid being afraid of Bash's influence on Mary.

Too bad the criminal mastermind behind the guards' orders was the mad king and not Francis, but I guess I kinda like that the brothers reconciled a bit.
Flag
As I said further down....I thought the consummation was only for royals to prove that their heirs were legitimate. Bash is titled now but still a bastard and not in line for the throne. Not really sure though...
Flag
I'm not just talking about the "official" consummation but a consummation of marriage in general. Please, no sex between these too - ever. Kinda scared to watch the next episode now that it's finally out.
Flag
Oh ok. It's bound to happen but not just yet. Bash and Kenna did have good chemistry together in the most recent episode and I'm starting to like them as a couple.
Flag
Is the Master of Horse and Hunt even a real title or is it something that Henry just made up? I agree with you, I would think that the consummation was only for royalty. but then who did Francis' sister marry? I don't recall they ever said. They had a consummation ceremony, so maybe she married a prince or something??
Flag
Lol it sounded like Henry made it up off the top of his head, not sure though. His sister was a princess and her husband was a royal from Spain not sure of his title though. They had the huge curtained bed but Francis & Mary were all out in the open. Talk about awkward!
Flag
I love Peppercorn! Nicest guy at french court.
Flag
Crazy, crazy Henry, you may be King and can therefore have mistresses but you can't keep a servant queen. Oh and you should at least wear shoes when you attend a wedding! I liked how a drugged up Catherine was still forced to watch the wedding and her navy and gold outfit was gorgeous tonight.

I called the potential Bash and Kenna match up a couple of weeks ago but definitely didn't expect it unfold the way it did. By the end of this episode all of Mary's ladies were engaged or married, how long these matches will last is another story. Lola should consider herself lucky to have landed Lord Julian who seems nice and good looking (and so far not a rapist) and I was glad Lord Casteroy ended up with Greer because the little guy needed a win.
Flag
I agree with all you wrote but I really did love the random sight gag of drugged up Catherine being forced to attend the wedding. Like "oh? She's not dead. She's the perfect wedding guest then."
Flag
When Catherine was describing Henry's abilities I was thinking but those are good things! I guess Queen Bean agreed.

I like that the show is becoming so insane.
Flag
Also Cathrine's sex talk is THE BEST THING EVER.
Flag
i loved the episode! But i wasn't ready for the last 10 min. Catherine got played by some kitchen chick? Since when Catherine gets played?
Brotherly reunion was expected, and sort of makes sense now that they have common enemies.
Greer's storyline broke my heart. I hope Lord Castleroy will take her far away form this mess of the French court soon.
Lola finally trying to get married is a good news.
I think Bash might be good for Kenna in terms of defending her form the king. She needs to stay away form the king as far as possible.
p.s. Henry started behaving crazy when Catherine broke Diane's thingy, may be there is a connection. BTW where is Diane? Cathrine needs reinforcement so may be Diane can knock some sense into his head.
Flag
Mary, I love you but FINALLY it's YOUR turn to burn! After essentially using Bash in the episode "Snakes in the Garden" all the way through to "Chosen" to make Francis jealous AND see that someone else wants you and thus spur him to action so you could be wed and cement France's support for Scotland... this episode FINALLY delivered Mary the beginning of all of the discomfort she deserves!!! Francis suffered. Bash suffered and now it's Mary's turn muu-ha-ha-ha!!! (evil laugh I know, but what can I say?) She developed feelings for both brothers and basically took turns enjoying indulging herself in each of their love. I know it isn't her fault b/c of the prophecy and all. So I don't blame her and I really do love her as a character but I feel like I've been living in the twilight zone where nothing makes sense re: her emotions for the longest time now and this episode is the rescue I've desperately needed. I'm glad Mary had her ego checked by Bash having moved on. I'm glad she had to watch him wed one of her closest friends while her apt-to-be-jealous husband watched her face closely... and MOST OF ALL I'm over the moon glad that Bash WALKED AWAY from her after she sought him out to ... "see if he was okay."

The forced marriage between Bash and Kenna + the fact that Bash will always be there, at court-is her fault for giving Bash all that hope while according to her "loving Francis more" smh. She kissed him every chance she got, told him her heart was open and even PROPOSED to him before the legitimization ever came through--all while "loving Francis more"...smh. So now as Mary seeks out Bash as she always seems to do, I hope Bash will continue to walk away. And leave Mary to burn baby burn! (chuckles) Mary I love you but this particular brand of torture you'll now have to live with is well deserved and delicious to watch! I hope Kenna tries to win Bash's affections and talks to Mary about it. I hope Mary will have to watch Bash and Kenna grow closer as she frets about Francis' love child LOL

Being a Mash fan I can't help but hope that "the torture" turns into something real and lasting and super romantic after Francis' demise but regardless... the only thing better than this for me right now would be a Bash and Kenna consummation where Kenna was enjoying herself LOUDLY and Mary was forced to watch!!! Bash could look at her the way she looked at him and continue making love to Kenna while Mary fights the battle of keeping up her carefully constructed poker face b/c Francis is watching her reaction carefully and just looking for a reason to be upset! Serves her right! Thank-you writers for delivering some justice. Writers, you have my thanks.
More+
Flag
I didn't get the impression that Mary was trying to make Francis jealous since the second episode. It seemed like she was turning to Bash as a friend/older brother plus he was always there eagerly offering his assistance even though she was engaged to Francis.

IMO Mary only started to let herself try and love Bash once she decided to marry him and get him legitimized. She said her heart was open because she was trying to make the best of the situation since she thought they would marry and be together. She told her mother that she was starting to fall in love with him. So while she still may have feelings for Bash, she clearly is very much in love with Francis.

Francis has every reason to be jealous of Bash. He felt betrayed by a brother he trusted and looked up to. While they did save each others lives in this episode, their relationship will never be what it once was.

Also, I thought the consummation was only for royals to prove that their heirs were legitimate. Bash is titled now but still a bastard and not in line for the throne. Not really sure though....
More +
Flag
I'm not saying Mary purposely orchestrated every situation that made Francis jealous of Bash and thus motivate him to marry her but it certainly worked out that way! For example: go back and watch the scene where little Prince Charles and Madeline were playing on the castle grounds and Mary is wearing that red flower head crown in the second episode. There's a sweet moment with Francis where she's in his arms and he's helping her convince the English that their alliance is strong. Then he gets upset about Mary accusing his mother of sending Colin to ruin her virtue and leaves. Mary is then the one who goes to Bash and asks him to look for Colin who had fled the jail and run into the woods. It's easy to miss b/c it's quick but there's a clear shot where you can clearly see Francis in the background walking back to where he was with Mary but looking pretty jealous/generally peeved to see Mary talking with Bash. Later he tells her that he knows she went to his brother for help (burn-she didn't go to just him alone but decided to turn to his brother) but it's okay he knows she needs actual support and not just words. T

hat scene to me, was the beginning of Mary going to Bash whenever Francis "fails her" or otherwise lets her down and in so doing she's caused a lot of the hate of Francis toward Bash. Bash has been really passive up until this last episode and while he isn't blameless, he's certainly suffered consequences of everything. Francis has suffered as well. Mary imo is the only one left who hasn't truly deeply felt and had to deal with the effects of her choices re: Frary and Mash so now it's her turn to burn! (chuckles) I'm glad. Now things will be a little more balanced and I'll be able to enjoy both ships again while still rooting for Mash as the final outcome.
More +
Flag
You said that Mary basically used Bash to make Francis jealous and I disagree. I don't think that was her motive in turning toward Bash. The impression I got of her relationship with Bash was that of a friend or older brother she would turn to. Clearly Bash wanted more even though she was engaged to Francis. I know that scene you're describing and Francis did get jealous there as well as other times when Bash had involvement with Mary. He trusted his older brother and looked up to him and he saw that Bash was developing feelings for his fiancée. Who could blame him for being jealous, especially now after what happened once Mary found out about the prophecy? Especially since they're both teenagers, not sure how much older Bash is supposed to be. Pretty sure Francis didn't develop all that hate for Bash until Mary decided to have Bash legitimized and marry him and then how Bash reacted after Francis told him the prophecy was no longer in play. Francis hated that Bash still wanted to wed Mary and refused to step aside even though he originally claimed it was only to save Francis' life.
Flag
MINETA,
You're the one that made it personal not me. I was kidding around but you were pretty rude in your prior comment. If you're not embarrassed now, maybe you should go back and reread your replies to me. And yes, you were overly dramatic with your last two replies.

So we can agree to disagree but there's no need to be rude about it. Enjoy the rest of your weekend! :)
Flag
Rileyyy, my feelings aren't hurt and there are no hard feelings. Everything I posted in my last post was just matter of fact nothing emotional or "overreact"-ing about it. I'm glad you aren't embarrassed. If our roles were reversed I would've been. That's the only reason I said that. Anyway, I think it is probably a good idea not to respond to each others posts in the future. At least not re: things we disagree on. It goes to long and seems to get personal without either of us meaning to make a "dig" at the other one. So talk you again when we agree! :) Ciao!
Flag
MINETA,
In reply to your post below....

OMG I was clearly kidding around! Way to overreact! Looks like you can dish it out but can't take it! ;) Doubt I'll bother replying to any of your posts again and I only used the bold/italics to get your attention since I couldn't directly reply below your post. And believe me, it takes a hell of a lot more to embarrass me! Maybe you should be embarrassed for being such a drama queen! LMAO

Anyway, I know when the kiss happened. My point was that besides the drunken kiss, what else did Mary do exactly that showed her developing feelings for Bash?! She right away said it was a mistake to him and tried to make up with Francis. That's the point I was trying to make. From that kiss until she learned of the prophecy, I didn't see any of these feelings Mary supposedly had for Bash IMO.

IMO = in my opinion lol
Flag
Quote from Rileyyy: "You were specifically talking about Snakes in the Garden to Choses and that's what I was referring to."
My Response: The famously Bashionate Mash lakeside kiss happened in episode 5 which was called "A Chill in the Air." Chosen is episode SIX. Therefore the kiss happened between the episodes Snakes in the Garden which was episode 2 and Chosen which was episode 6 as I said in the beginning!!! smh

In the future, please check your details before challenging another poster. Especially if you are going to use bold italics and tell someone to step away from the wine bottle (or whatever). LOOOOL. It will save you the embarrassment.
Flag
MINETA, this is in reply to your comment below...

I'm glad I was able to provide such entertainment for you free of charge! No, I don't take it personally but I do think it's time for you to step away from the wine bottle (or whatever)! LOL ;)

You were specifically talking about Snakes in the Garden to Choses and that's what I was referring to. In those episodes, Mary did not give ME the impression that she had any feelings for Bash besides that of a friend/older brother. Obviously, I wasn't counting the drunken kiss since I'm no redneck!! LOL

Even after that kiss, IMO Mary did not give any indication that she was developing feelings for Bash. Not until she learned of the prophecy, etc, did she open herself to Bash and allow herself to develop feelings and start to fall in love with him.

Yes, Francis has been jealous of Bash for a while but that intensified because Bash refused to back down in The Consummation and told him that Mary would chose to stay with him.

Francis has his flaws (as all other characters) but I defend him because he gets the most hatred here! LOL

More +
Flag
Quote from you: "I got of her relationship with Bash was that of a friend or older brother she would turn to."
My Response: FRIEND or OLDER BROTHER?? REALLY!!!!!!???? REEEEEEALLLLY??? LOOL. I guess that's why when Mary got mad at Francis for letting Olivia stay she deliberately (albeit drunkenly) sought out her friend / older brother Bash in 1x05 who she felt completely plutonic about, to complain to about Francis and KISS lakeside!!!! LOL And let's not forget that she kissed Bash FIRST and then allowed Bash to kiss her multiple (I counted at least 5) times in succession!!!!!!!!!! LOOOOOOOOOOL.

If this is your definition of seeing and treating someone as just a friend/older brother there are a lot of guys who would like to meet you! ((chuckles)) I can't imagine the reaction one might show a guy when you are actually interested in them, if this is how one behaves toward older brothers and friends. LOL.

I sorry to lol so much I'm not doing it to be rude or anything. In fact, I wasn't even going to respond (if someone disagrees with one of my posts and I respond back and they respond again, usually I'd just let them have the last word) but this was just too fun and too hard for me to resist. I literally lol'd when I read the part of your comment I quoted. But please don't take this personally, I'm just teasing you and pulling your leg. Especially the part about the many men who would like to meet you :P

I do btw admire your defence of Francis--which I somewhat agree with you on. Where we differ is that I just think it's Mary's 'going to Bash' 'turning to Bash' 'reaction to Bash' that's been the true driver for Francis' jealousy since she is the proactive one. While Bash is, or at least used to be, so passive. Yet, he had to pay the price in full and on his own for all of Mary's actions that created and intensified Francis' jealous/"hate"/anger toward Bash. ((shrug)) Enjoy your day Riley!
More +
Flag
Flag
HAHAHAA i hadnt gone through the comments or read this when i wrote mine, its weird and amazing that both of us essentially say the exact same things.. even the evil laugh! oh man i was soooooooo happy when mary got jealous it made my week and i almost forgot the consummation altogether. too satisfying and exactly what we had predicted. honestly i'd love to see kenna ansd bash develop something sassy and sexy cuz both their characters, while with no on screen time, are very similar in their personalities. both straight forward and blunt, no bullshit

im PRAYING for the exact consummation scene you said and more jelly moments from Mary. its inevitable, KARMA IS A BEAST AND HAS NO MERCY
Flag
So, I was kind of bored with the episode pretty much until Henry walked in on his sons. Holy crap. I had to remind myself about a thought I had at the beginning when thinking about why were we seeing Olivia again. This whole stretch since the wedding are extra episodes where they don't have to stay within what appeared to be a careful outlined storyline for the first season. So this is what happens.

And I guess, well, give Kenna a chance Bash. I know she is kind of vapid, but honestly she will tell the truth and she can be funny and really doesn't seem to care what anyone says about her. I mean I don't know how much of the truth Lola told her and Greer there, but Kenna already knew and kept it quiet.
Flag
  • Damn you Henry! Putting poor Bash with your former mistress. The only way I can see an out for Kenna and Bash is to not consummate the marriage (hope that in his madness Henry forgets the consummation ceremony) otherwise I don't know how they are going to get out of this one-maybe Catherine or Diane will take pity on him and she can bribe a cardinal or the Pope or something.
  • Poor Catherine out maneuvered by a lowly kitchen whore. She should have done her research about her earlier otherwise she would not have gotten drugged-very unlike her. Luckily Mary got her to Nostradamus so he could reverse the potion.
  • I predicted it last week-Lola is engaged to what was supposed to be Greer's fiance-Julian. She just better hope that the child isn't a blonde unless she has them in her family.
  • Poor Greer and Leith-Leith is now in the army. Greer now has people talking behind her back. While Castlerod isn't much in the looks department at least now she will not be a complete shame to her family.
  • I was glad to see Bash and Francis' relationship mended toward the end. Bash saving Francis' life and Francis saving him from Henry. Too bad now he is married to Kenna-whom he does not like.
  • "Queen" Penelope aka the lowly kitchen whore is definitely going down Catherine will find a way, maybe she can even get Mary to help (where is Mary of Guise when you need her?-I know she is in Scotland and her daughter is pissed at her but Catherine needs another manipulator in the castle at the moment to get rid of Penelope).
  • Poor Mary, having the King suggest that she pretend Penelope was Francis and give her some tips-Eww.
More+
Flag
I hope that Bash and Kenna don't consummate the marriage, because then all they have to do is wait for Henry to die and then Francis as king can declare the marriage as invalid because there was no consummation. Unless, of course they do fall in love. I was wondering how Bash was still going to be part of the show when he was exiled.
Flag
That's actually what I was thinking too. But I don't think Francis would want to annual the marriage and have Bash be single again.
Flag
Eh, the entire Mad Henry plot line just feels forced. Perhaps if they had brought it along slowly it wouldn't seem so rushed, though the ending was funny.
Flag
But nothing progresses slowly on this show and it's one of its best properties. We also need to remember that it is not one week per episode, they often jump weeks and months ahead.
Flag
Agreed. At some point during this episode, they said they had already been at French Court a year.
Flag
Yes, Kenna did say that it's been a year. Not sure how that is possible though since it clearly wasn't winter when Mary arrived from the convent. The weather was warmer and there was no snow at all.
Flag
LOVE this episode!!! My obsession with Reign back!!!
Flag
Mine never left. I always wonder what could possibly occur after Mary and Francis were married, and I am always pleasantly surprised every episode with what they come up with. Yay Reign!!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members