A Reign Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

Reign S01E12: "Royal Blood"

It was a long, cold, hard Winter Olympics but at last all the athletes packed up their skis and bobsleds and furs and precious metal medals and went home and now we can watch Reign again! And wow, what an episode to return with. I was sorely tempted to screen grab almost every single frame that flashed before my eyes, because every moment of “Royal Blood” was completely, gloriously nuts. It was a feast of lavishly sinister, eerily beautiful images, from Clarissa’s crazy face mask to Catherine’s fake-out suicide, to Francis’s scruffy return at a Parisienne bordello to— I could go on and on. But let me go on and on in order.

Mary decided that what with their parents separating, their brother running off, and the impending death of their mother, the young princes Henry and Charles were really due a day out. Like a trip to the Frost Fair! Presumably the Disneyland of its day or at least the California Adventureland. 

However Mary’s attempt to take them to a local Frost Fair was impeded by murderous Medici haters. Infanticide is one of those cards that teen dramas very rarely play but wow, everyone was out for the boys’ blood, from random countryside hikers to their own tunnel-dwelling mole-person half-sister Clarissa to “Wink Wink Nudge Nudge Just Saying Maybe Kill Those Princes” Hugo. Despite the security that infanticide would lend to his still-pending claim on the throne, Bash wanted to whisk the kiddos out of the country for their safety. Mary felt they’d be safer at home, Bash and Mary had a little bicker about their soon-to-be adoptive children like they were already married, and all the Mashers were like “Even when they fight it’s perfect.”

Meanwhile, Lola, the skankiest Scot whoever scooted around was scuttling through Paris whorehouses, presumably looking for an internship. Also look at Paris!!!

This establishing CGI shot is kind of a masterpiece. Look how painterly and awesome and amazing. The interior of the Parisienne sex n' gamblin’ hall was vaguely slutty and clubbish and then Lola walked in, presumably looking for the slap I promised her a while back and also her brother, who had become indebted to someone who was apparently a really big fan of Indecent Proposal. He would only cancel Lola’s brother’s debt if she would yield to him her rich girl body! Quel creepster.

Meanwhile, back in Fronce, Bash surprised Mary and his baby brothers with a beautiful gesture: He’d spent all day spraying fake snow in the forest so they could host a private Frost Fair AT COURT! Seriously though, for a one-off location the Frost Fair was extensively gorgeous and curated and it felt wintry. All the sweaters and caps and eerie masks and snowflakes: delightful. 

Unfortunately Bash and Mary were so swept up in the delicate romance of the scene that they foolishly left the princes in charge of her basic, basic waiting ladies who, like immediately, like practically instantaneously, lost the kids.

Then this scene happened:

Come on, I was can't be the only one who had Nicholas Cage Wickerman flashbacks when the kids started taking off their cute little animal masks in a scene underscored by, like, horror movie strings. Aside from this reference the moment was fantastically creepy and, like so many shots in this episode, SUBLIME in the archaic sense of the word: a confusing rush of terror and overwhelming beauty at the same time.

That’s when Bash pulled Mary aside and revealed he’d actually arranged for Charles and Henry to be taken during the Frost Fest, and they were at that very moment being smuggled out of the country. Unfortunately what he didn’t know was that Clarissa was at that very moment clinging to the bottom axels of the princes' escape wagon, Cape Fear-style.

Then this happened:

I don’t think even Revenge has been ballsy enough to attempt a fake-out suicide of this magnitude. Queen Catherine hanging from a rope in her dungeon cell?! Of course as soon as Nostradamus started hustling her out of there it became obvious this was a scheme of theirs: He’d secreted (lol sorry I love that word) some kind of a harness into the spine of the Bible he left with her, and she was now free to escape. Unfortunately he kind of sort of mentioned her sons had been kidnapped. And Catherine refused to flee until she knew they were safe.

Is there anything more endearing and confusing than a villain you care about? Catherine’s ferocious maternal instinct makes it impossible to dislike her, even when she’s being outrageously murderous and traitorous and brewing up poisons like Sheila G bakes Brownie Brittle. Such was the strength of Catherine’s love that she went into full-on Die Hard mode and traveled through the castle-wall tunnels into Mary’s room, where she and Mary sleuthed out that Clarissa had taken the boys before they reached the “checkpoint” station. CLASSIC Mary/Catherine cahootin'.

Meanwhile in Paris, a mysterious champion had risen to free Lola from her uncomfortable situation: FRANCIS WAS BACK! And he was lookin’ quite a way, gambling like there was no tomorrow and side note: What were you even doing there, Francis? Francis, you're in a dark place right now, aren’t you, Francis? Francis bet a comical amount of money that he would draw a higher card than ole’ Robert Dreadford and won Lola her freedom.

This led to a drunk conversation where Francis appeared very sad and Lola appeared very oblivious to the simple logic that tells us to not get involved with a close friend’s ex, especially when that close friend is also our all-powerful boss and overlord. Whatever, everyone breaks that rule (especially teenagers), and I’m sure tons of people are going to be heartbroken about this latest wrinkle in Francis and Mary’s ever-more-complicated relationship. But y’all, when you get on the TV roller coaster you don’t complain about the dips. You can’t have the highs without the lows when you root for a couple. And keep in mind: As soon as the pair you want to be together gets together you will—oh yes, you will—lose interest. We live for the tension. We seek the impossible. We reach for stars. So APPRECIATE the angst. It’s what you're supposed to feel. If you have “Frary” carved into every tree in your mental landscape, don’t clear the forest, because Francis had a sad sex sesh (complete with morning breath) with Lola. If his night with Olivia was any indication he was probably imagining someone else the whole time anyhoo.

So if you weren’t completely numb from Lola forfeiting all right to look Mary in the eye ever again via genitals, your emotions were about to take a sharp rock to the back of the head. Clarissa, who had begun the boys' Nightmare Babysitting Experience by leading them into the dark woods while wearing half a wooden face, now instructed the little boys to fill their pockets with rocks, Virginia Woolf-style, as Bash led Catherine and Mary to confront her.

A standoff ensued with Clarissa wearing her seriously poorly sized mask and holding a knife to her half-brother’s throat while Mary and Catherine tried to talk her down. In a delightfully weird line, Catherine said it was at this moment that she recognized her as her daughter: ready to do murder to get what she wanted. Then a bunch of terrible names just like, fell out of her mouth about Clarissa, and despite the tension of the scene it was kind of hilarious.

Mary saved the day by stealthily moving out of the frame and clobbering Clarissa with a rock. What was incredible about Adelaide Kane’s work in this scene was the absolute regret she emoted. After all, Clarissa has been a sort of guardian angel to Mary all this time, and while Clarissa has proved beyond a doubt that she’s guided by arbitrary motives and no ethical code whatsoever, it seemed quite clear that Mary felt a real gratitude toward her. Maybe because Clarissa was consistently a way better friend than any of the braidies. I mean, who would you rather have covering your back: Clarissa or Lola? And Adelaide really gave the moment a gravity.

Also touching was that Catherine admitted she now owed the lives of all her sons (but not her daughter obviously) to Mary. These two are soooo secretly BFFs. Their mutual respect is one of the best things about this show.

Even though Clarissa was subsequently thrown down a hill and left to the wolves, I think we can all agree she is alive and well. And when she inevitably slips back into the castle she will be quite the wild card and a legit Lady Phantom. Exciting!

So finally, Mary rounded off the worst weekend ever by proposing to Bash, and Bash reacted by proposing right back—but Francis is on his way back to the castle! NEXT WEEK IS GOING TO BE EXTREME. Will next week’s episode, titled “The Consummation,” be the consummation of our fears? Our hopes? Bash and Mary in the honorable bed of matrimony? Catherine saved from judicial murder? I can’t wait to see. But bros, tell me how you’re dealing with the shakes and quakes of “Royal Blood.” Are you mad at Francis? Is Lola taking her sweet time finding the hole that leads all the way to hell that she needs to fall into? Let’s hold court.

QUESTIONS:

... Francis and Lola: an abomination, your new OTP, or file it under “sometimes friends make messy decisions”?

... Why was Clarissa’s mask so plus-sized?

... What is your favorite activity at the Frost Fair?

... Mary proposing to Bash: another unselfish act to secure the safety of the young princes, or mounting evidence that Bash is pulling ahead in her queenly affections?

... Can you think of a drama series where a couple got together and just stayed together and you were like “YESSSS MORE STABLE RELATIONSHIP I LOVE THIS”?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

200 Comments
Comments (200)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
To answer your last question, yes. For example, on Castle, those two are just as fun as a couple. Also, Chandler and Monica. But yes, usually, though the "will they won't they" is annoying, the "oh, great, they did" is also a let down. The problem with some shows is, they stretch it so long that you don't even care if they get together, or you eventually don't even want them to, because it has gotten so they've both treated each other badly too many times for drama. I'm totally enjoying Reign, but I was originally rooting for Mary and Francis, and I already feel like their relationship has gotten so messed up that it's not really very romantic anymore.
Flag
So ok, the thing with the guards. Why would you chuck a body down a hill when there's a perfectly good lake right there? Those people need to work on their disposal skills.
Flag
I also loved how Bash gets along so well with Charles and little Henry. In episode 1.2, Charles asks if Bash can come along (when Charles meets his fiancé). In this episode, after Bash, Mary, and Catherine find Clarissa, you'd think that little Henry would run to his mother, but, no, he runs to Bash. Bash has obviously spent a lot of time with the kids over the years. So cool!!
Flag
Love your reviews - I think im starting to look forward to reading them almost more than watching the show. I actually just went back and read them from the beginning and it made me realize that there have been a lot of plot holes since the pilot...

1. what happened to mary's dog?
2. what happened to Charles' fiance from Spain?
3. what happened to Olivia?
4. what happened to Francis' first mistress from the pilot?
5. does anyone else feel like the vibe of the show has totally changed? I agree with an earlier comment that it felt like there was something missing after the midseason finale. they spent so much of the first part of the season showing Mary fight for Bash. You would think that she would mourn him a little, but i dont really think we have seen any of that.
6. I agree that we have been missing the story line of the other characters. What happened to Diane? It seems like they completely wrote off her, Francis and Henry. Are Kenna and Henry no longer a thing?
7. And I totally agree...Lola WTF...that just didnt make any sense.
Flag
2. I think Charles is about 10 years old, I think the intent was to just meet each other, and then when the kids turn 14-15 years old, then they would get married. I believe that she returned to Spain.

3. In next week's episode (Futon Critic), Bash encounters Olivia in the woods, "an escaped victim of the terrors of the woods." So, evidentially she somehow made it out of the castle.

6. I think it ended between Kenna and Henry after "Left Behind," When Henry told Kenna if he had to choose between Diane and Kenna, he would always choose Diane.
Flag
Staff
Great Scot...what DID happen to Mary's dog?!
Olivia is somewhere in the walls,either eating rats or feeding them (macabre!)
Mary shifting from Francis to Bash was quite abrupt, and her reasoning- fear of a prediction by Nostradamus- it's hard to imagine that overriding a conviction that someone is your true love- not to mention they'd consummated their relationship & she might have been pregnant.
Flag
3. I read somewhere the other day that an Olivia scene was deleted, probably from Left Behind. I think she's supposed to have left the castle & headed to town but she'll be back!
4. Natalia was a lady in waiting to Francis' sister who get married in the first episode so I think she went with his sister to Spain with all her ladies.
5. Pretty sure you meant Mary fighting for Francis and I agree!
6. Diane left the castle because Catherine threatened to tell the King about her plot to get Bash legitimized but I'm sure she'll be back. And we'll see the King and Francis back at Court this week.
Flag
interesting about the deleted Olivia scene...thanks for filling me in!
Flag
Staff
Yeah good catch on #4
Flag
Nice observation I did not know natalia was LIW to his sister!
Flag
Kind of a rant: even though this show is taking many artistic liberties it is still a historical drama/fiction.

Let us not forget that this is unlike other "love triangles", this is more political than love based [at times]. There are high risks at stake for all involved. So its not just oh francis how could he sleep with lola..., or OMG how did Mary move on so quickly. These characters are Royal, everything is different when you have a country to answer to and protect. Your choices affect many others, not just you and the other person involved. I am getting annoyed with people complaining about how quickly Mary is moving on [also shame on those putting Mary down and calling her derogatory names]. Do you think Elizabeth and Philip actually had the type of time that Francis and Mary had to get to know each other before they got married and he whisked her off to Spain? All Royal marriages were alliances and Mary just happens to live at the court where she is still trying to finalize that alliance [and her only shot to still get France is marry bash and force the legitimization if she has to by using her leverage as "rightful heir" to the English throne]. Look at the context this story is developing, dont just think its silly teenagers doing their thing. Yes I understand it is frustrating but its not just them being dumb there are reasons why things have occurred in this manner.

I have rewatched the season up to this point and looking back I see Francis differently now. I disliked him very much in the beginning but I came to realize that he is just like Mary, he too will put his whole heart into something he sets out to do.

He stated several times in the beginning that he did not want to allow himself to fall in love with her because things could change. Alliances can break [especially because Scotland has its weaknesses and an absent ruler and England is constantly a threat]. Princes and princesses/queens are pawns in a political game and in that time England was a powerhouse, especially due to their navy. So having to constantly defend Scotland might not always be in he best interest of France. Francis was thinking like a ruler as he was taught to do so. I think Mary was somewhat Naive when she first got to court because she had been raised by the nuns for so long [since she was 6] and I am sure that it made the notion more romantic and less political for her. It might have been different if she too grew up in the royal court of her home. She would know that the alliance is temporary and would only really be secured once they married.

As we see them both progress in their feelings for each other, and Francis finally realizes how much he loves her despite the risks [Its not like now that if you break up with someone you might get back together, for them once they are married off to other people that is it, they will most likely NEVER see each other again] you see him really go on OVERDRIVE with the feels lol.

I dont think Mary ever forgot about Francis [during her time getting to know bash], she mentions his name every episode pretty much since he left. Even without him physically being present, I still think he holds a lot of presence in her personal thoughts.

I feel like Mary has significantly matured throughout each episode and she has been more Regal and more of a queen than when she first came to court. Initially I think due to all the other Royals and all of the plots against her life she was more vulnerable but letting go of Francis [yes I know based just on superstition] was a very mature/bold move for such a young [I think she is supposed to be 16] woman.

Bash is just a pawn in all of this, it just so happens that it works out well for him. But he isnt stupid either. He knows, I am sure he is quite aware that Mary has gone through all this trouble because of her love for Francis. Obviously she is going to try her best to try to love Bash. I think you can love two people differently. Clearly she is IN love with Francis, I think she loves Bash but its not the same.

I dont understand why people think her wanting to marry bash is a romantic notion, she wants it done for the ALLIANCE, her mother and her advisors in scotland expect it to be done especially because now they want her to claim England. Mary knows that she HAS to deliver when it comes to making sure scotland will be safe in time to come. Aside from the personal risk of going after England she needs to make sure that France will back her up if needed, because the English wont give up without a fight.

Anyways my thoughts lol, can you tell how much I adore this show? :D
More+
Flag
You adore The show or Francis? whichever is fine but we'll see in the next couple of episodes that unlike Mary he has not changed at all. Speaking of alliances, that is the only reason Mary loved Francis in the first place, a childhood dream of having your husband love you, that it won't be about Scotland and Frounce but that's all it is a bouns she would have to deal with any of her husbands shit , remember Thomas. Here's what's going to happen, Mary will marry Francis because it's right for her country, happy wedding, after the honeymoon? Finding out about him and Lola? They'll get into another fight and he'll going bang someone else because that's who he is, how he behaves and that won't change
Flag
I'm down with whatever makes Marry happy. She is the show. To me its not just about frary or mash. But seriously the one aspect of history they are sticking to is her marrying francis everyone knows that already.
Flag
While I enjoyed this episode and am so happy it's back on, I was disappointed in Mary's decision to just marry Bash. Not for any Frary Mash reasons, but because what I so admired about Mary's character was how she put her country first, and left nothing to fate. And now here she is leaving it to fate--like Bash said, she could end up married to a landless bastard. Whom she loves, yes, but would mean very bad things for her kingdom.
Still. Happy it's back and I'm excited for Francis to return to court.
Flag
Mary's response to Bash in "Royal Blood" when he tells her she could be stuck with a "landless bastard for a husband" in my opinion answers the question about the motive behind her proposal and that motive is great feelings, if not love, for Bash. The work "risk" is the key and Bash & Mary clearly addressed how risk is defined as well as the deeper meaning behind it in "Inquisition".

In Inequisition, Bash tells Mary "the risks Catherine talked about are real. You could marry me & I could be pulled down from the thrown". He then tells her he doesn't want to withdraw from their engagement because he is committed and wants her to commit also. He refers to "RISK" and explains that she has committed politically but the political reward versus risk is not his motivator because it is not enough for him (translation - it's not the crown or country, it's Mary) and he doesn't think [the political reward] is enough for her either.

In Royal Blood, we see Mary revisiting his words and comments about "RISK". After Bash tells her marrying without the Pope legitimizing Bash could leave her "stuck with a landless bastard for a husband", Mary tells him without hesitation "I'm willing to take that risk".

Translation? Mary is willing to take that risk, being stuck with a landless bastard for a husband who was pulled down for the thrown, not because of the political reward because that isn't enough but her feelings for him are.
More+
Flag
I still feel like everything she has ever said to bash is due to her need to protect Francis at all and any costs to her own happiness. I am both a Mash and Frary fan, but what drew me to this show is the Frary chemistry, it is undeniable how much pull there is there. You just cant compare to Mary and Bash scenes as cute as they are.
Remember marry is a Queen and she HAS to marry, it is her duty. If she wasn't being forced to marry anyone due to the impending death of the Queen of England I do not think she would be so rushed. Also her family would never allow her to marry someone that would in no way benefit Scotland. Her move was political, she clearly stated that she wants to force the pope to legitimize bash, the risk of him possibly not being legitimized is something she is willing to deal with because the option of Bash is all she has at this point to both save Francis and do what is best for Scotland in terms of the French alliance. She has never once at this point expressed that she loves Bash.
When it comes to love and politics, especially for a royal in those times. Politics wins, and Mary/Bash situation is a crystal clear example of a Queen trying to save an alliance with a country she needs for the safety of her people, and now more than ever because despite the fact personally she does not want to go after England she will be forced to by Henry and her family. So Elizabeth and her supporters are coming after her regardless. Ultimately in order for Mary to lead she has to have strong political alliances and support. Mary's probably very concerned about her own well being much more so than love at this point.
More +
Flag
i love watching this show all the time at my house when i have nothing else to do at my house i like to stay home instand of going out with friends
Flag
"Can you think of a drama series where a couple got together and just stayed together and you were like “YESSSS MORE STABLE RELATIONSHIP I LOVE THIS”?"

Only one, Lily. One Tree Hill. Nathan and Haley.

PS Love your reviews.
Flag
Agreed. Nathan and Haley together ended up being the backbone of that show. When OTH created random obstacles to try and add 'drama' it often didn't work.

I'd also add Leo and Piper in Charmed. They got together relatively early in the show (considering how many seasons it ran for) and had their share of drama but they always felt like a unit. And once they were together, I found their building a family just as interesting (if not more so) than the early days.
Flag
Yeah that's true, whenever Haley and Nathan were fighting it was awful. They are like, one of Drama's cutest couples.
Flag
I do believe this is going to get nastier "down the road"....am I the only one that remembers "Bash" shoving a peasant (who was in the dungeons for stealing a loaf of bread to feed his starving child) off the cliff because he admitted to knowing who Bash was (& that Diana was his mother) ...Don't expect much brotherly love to have survived all this & Mary with all good intentions is sure making a muck of things....I expect (hope) more to come...
I do like both Francis & Bash wished they would have concentrated on them working together fighting court intrigue, the pagans, the English, the headless horseman but it was not to be....
Flag
Wow! So Francis is a V-card collector. Olivia, Mary, now Lola... Who's next?
Flag
Nah, Lola was with that guy who tried to rape Mary (pretty sure they were engaged?) She even said that to Francis "Don't worry I've known a man before."
Flag
okay i have like just finished watching this and i am feeling fresh Lola-rage, Catherine ambivalence and mash love.
1. i HATE Lola- i just do, there's no way of changing my opinion of her unless she like tries really hard for redemption and then has a toughing taking-an-arrow-for-Mary death scene.
her getting with Francis was a betrayal plane and simple. he was hurting and drunk she just wanted it like how she was trying to get with bash in that booby Valkyrie costume- she wants herself a royal bastard. and though i love mash i think this is all gonna end with Frary, but in the mean time i feel like Lola is gonna be like a smart Olivia in court, like - i know him carnally too now and i is gonna get him to be my hubby haha. Biiitch.
2. i think maybe shes just a awkward shape plus i doubt Mary got to like press a mold to her face, Mary probably has bad spacial awareness good for the guys though ;D
speaking of does Bash know Mary lost her V to Francis...
3. i think Mary genuinely Cares for Bash but maybe it'll be a case of she can and does love bash but she's loved Francis since she was a child so its just rooted too deep to overcome. i think that was shown in the first ball scene with her excited and being drawn to bash , but then the feathers reminded her of the innocent love that her and Francis had as children - dark passion/ obsession v.s sweet innocent/ pure love.
4. no not really they get together then its just a Ross and Rachel break up - make ups and obstacles
now i have questions:
1. still no explanation as to how Nostradamus became immortal or is he now some sort of ghost
2. Olivia, where for art thou, ya silly ho?
3. Catherine said in ep.11 that Bash had secrets and this episode he surprised me a little with his deception towards Mary to get the kids out of the way. I'm starting to worry that he's going to be another Tomas, but with the power and his possessive obsessive love for Mary corrupting him- especially now that Francis and Lola are coming back to stir the pot
P.s Lola didn't know that Catherine was going to be executed, excuse me ? she actively worked towards it. deceptive little t*** grrrrrrr .

More+
Flag
I had thought the same thing about Lola, that she outright lied to Francis, but then I remembered that Lola was not in the last episode. It was during this episode that Catherine was charged with adultery and the execution planned. So she really didn't know.
Flag
I still don't understand how Mary went from Francis to Sebastian in 5 minutes. I get that she was saving Francis, but now is like she doesn't even remember him (although I really like Mary and Bash together). Anyways, Lola is a good match for Francis.
Flag
Torrance Coombs [Bash] Explained on his twitter that in between episodes weeks pass by/months. Its not like other shows they take a linear approach and its one day one episode and the next the other. I cant say with certainty how long it has been that their "relationship" has been developing. But to Mary it is a political move, and she is ultimately doing it to save Francis. But dont you think a woman in her position would at least try to invest emotionally into a relationship with a man she is going to marry due to circumstance. One that clearly cares for her very much.
Flag
Actually I think the progression between Mary losing interest in Francis and gaining interest in Bash has been handled quite well. This is how I break it down:
  • Mary leaves Francis/Court on a horse after a whole day of refusing to talk to him 'cause she knew he would talk her out of leaving. She was in the process of trying to shut down her feelings for him 'cause she knew she'd have to leave. One of her closest friends had also just died.
  • She happens to leave with Bash, who was in trouble because bastard.
  • They spend a week (I think?? Maybe it was just a day) together, Mary still reeling from her severance with Francis and stressed because she is basically being hunted down, with only one person to lean on, who happens to be going through the same thing: Bash.
  • Mary & Bash were whisked back to court however, and Mary had to make a quick decision about telling Francis the truth, which made him super angry and was not helping so Mary shunned him, and basically ripped him from her life by saying she was going to marry Bash.
  • Cue following ep when Mary had to focus on Bash and try and help him become a bit more Prince-ly. So all her attention was focussed on him and validating her recent decision to marry him and not Francis. While helping his cousin, Bash also showed a bunch of qualities that are quite the opposite of Francis. Also Bash can be very intense, whereas Francis was quite wishy-washy when trying to court Mary.
It of course doesn't help that Francis is not around, so Mary would forget about him a bit due to him not being physically there for her to be reminded of him. I feel that Mary isn't amazingly passionate about Bash, but still loves and cares for him because he is such a nice guy with great values (mostly family), and she is trying to make the best of her situation. If you haven't noticed, when Mary does something, she puts her whole heart into it. Whether it being trying to do the best for Scotland, looking after the Medici children, saving a Wiccan baby or loving Bash.

More +
Flag
At the beginning of the episode it was stated by either Catherine or Henry (I can't remember which one) that Mary and Bash had been gone over a week.
Flag
Francis is definitely not wishy washy in his feelings towards Mary. Catherine even said he was relentless in his love for Mary, and Mary agreed with her. That's why she walked away from Francis after telling him about the prophecy.

I find it quite hilarious that most Francis haters think that Bash can do no wrong. How soon they forget that Bash pushed that thief off the cliff to protect himself and his mother! But Francis is such a bad guy for sleeping with Lola! LOL Mary broke his heart and stripped him off his title & inheritance and he thought he'd never see her again!

I like Bash but think he had more chemistry with Lola. Francis & Mary have a lot of chemistry in their scenes together which we will see again this week when he returns to Court.

Flag
I was generally enjoying this review until:

"Meanwhile, Lola, the skankiest Scot whoever scooted around was scuttling through Paris whorehouses, presumably looking for an internship. "
Holy Sh!t Mrs. Sparks. Slut shame much? Like serious, what the actual hell.

And can we all maybe recognize the Lola/Francis betrayal of Mary (if that's even what is was, seeing how Mary is off-screen proposing an immediate marriage to her current fiancé), is equally-or-more Francis' fault? Seeing how he's the one who initiated it, the one who didn't push the other person away, and the one who actually dates/is-still-in-love-with Mary.

Seriously... I can't even... I am just going to quote the review again and be off.
"Meanwhile, Lola, the skankiest Scot whoever scooted around was scuttling through Paris whorehouses, presumably looking for an internship."
!!!
Flag
Staff
Slut shaming is shaming women for being promiscuous. I shame Lola (the fictional character) every time she gets a storyline for anything it involves- angel wings, failed nursing of now-dead brothers.... This week's Lola storyline just happened to involve sex. If you've read any of my Reign reviews before (I'm guessing you haven't) you'll notice a running thread is me picking on Lola (not the actress, she's cool, the character) for literally anything she does because in the pilot she tried to excuse her boyfriend for his attempted rape of Mary, and that was a character-damning moment. Was Francis equally a part of this episode's decision to get rutty? Sure, but it's a known thing that people who have just been dumped are emotionally unbalanced/easily taken advantage of, which is why the general friend code (male and female) is don't go for your friend's ex, even if the friend dumped them, because you look like a vulture.
Flag
Francis is emotionally vulnerable? Oh I see, because his girlfriend broke up with him. Where as Lola's childhood friend DIED a couple episodes ago and she was just almost raped to pay her brother's debt. But yeah, rough break-up, Francis. I guess we could compound it with the fact he's not king anymore, and instead he's just (by his own account) young and rich and able to travel the world, but none of that matters because (by his own account) he is SAD. And holy cow, when Lola told him she had already lost her virtue how fast did he rip off his own shirt? He's so damn vulnerable, you guys.
I do read your reviews, Lily. Including last Wednesday's review of the Bachelor where you make light of Clare's accusations of slut shaming. You mention it in the same breathe as "Juan Pablo called Nikki ahead of her every week for a rose!" as if that, and "Juan Pablo slut-shamed her!" belong in a list together.
You think Lola was being a bad friend to Mary because she slept with Francis. Maybe she was. But you expressed that by saying a woman who had consensual sex with two men ever was a 'skank' and a 'whore'.
You're right when you say "slut shaming is shaming women for being promiscuous". The definition of promiscuity is having sex frequently with different partners. You slut shame Lola, when you call her a skank and a whore, and effectively imply that TWO partners is too many.
"Lola, the skankiest Scot whoever scooted around was scuttling through Paris whorehouses, presumably looking for an internship."
I stand by my claim that this particular comment was way out of line. And I request an apology.
More +
Flag
I very much agree with you on this point. That sentence you just quoted got me so confused that I questioned which character was called Lola because I couldn't remember anyone doing anything remotely deserving of such a harsh description. It was two people having consensual sex merely because they were both emotionally vulnerable, shared a moment, and obviously find each other hot enough. It was possibly even an act of rebellion, as both characters have visibly struggled with the expectations of court life. Was it a good idea? NOOO because they are of royal court and secrets are dangerous weapons when need be. Plus Mary will be sad because of her relationships with both of them. It wasn't ideal but it was understandable, and far from shameful on either side.
Flag
Staff
I request an apology from YOU for wasting my time with this entire thread. If you are genuine in your quest for the better treatment of women, I suggest you focus some of your energy on supporting breathing, thinking, non-fictional female human beings, and less time berating a TV recapper. You're not exactly helping the cause victimizing yourself by proxy.
Flag
Staff
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Staff
Flag
Staff
Flag
I don't understand the complaint about the facial hair of Francis now. He's always had it people.

Also forgot my fave activity at the Frost Fair, I wanted to see the ice skating, they didn't show it though did they?

Flag
Clarissa's mask also gave me a Phantom of the Opera vibe!!
I was really surprised that Bash actually did something without Mary knowing!! Catherine & Nostradamus plotting was awesome. Also Catherine admitting to Mary that she believes she cares was great too.

Clarissa may be a murderer but I still root for her! I don't really think she would of hurt the boys in the end. And I think she is still alive too.

- An abomination & Lola should be seriously flogged. She gave Mary such a hard time about Colin, then she had gotten sweet on Bash & then she does the dirty with Francis. She is turning out to be sluttier then Kenna! I think it would of been a messy one night stand if they weren't now returning to the castle together.
- To me the mask looked like it was crooked!!
- I think it was more of a calculated move for everyone's safety then & admittance of love.
- Not from the beginning of the series, no but ending up together & being together on the show at the moment at least like Castle, Bones, Barney & Robyn in How I met your mother, Toby & Spencer in Pretty Little Liars, Meredith & Derek on Grey's off the top of my head.

More+
Flag
Really enjoyed this ep! I have to admit - Mary and Bash had me 'aww'-ing. I don't mind Francis but I'd choose his brother in a heartbeat. Bash is where it's at. Having said that.. I hope Mary marries Francis.

There's more than just a romantic pairing at stake. These people are going to rule entire countries! And as somebody earlier put it - I ship Francis with the throne. He needs to be King. Bash already admitted he'd put Mary first. That's not good enough dammit! France deserves somebody that would put the greater good of the country and its people first and that's far more likely to be Francis than Bash. He was literally raised for the job.

In my ideal Reign dreamland scenario.. Mary cares for Bash but she marries Francis for the 'good of the realm'. And we know she loves Francis. I don't mind some historical inaccuracies but I have my limit so Francis stays heir and later (very sadly) dies as he did in real life. Mary goes on to have all the further drama Mary Queen of Scots had but any further marriages will be more political alliances than 'true' marriages. And they may not be married and have that piece of paper but Bash is ultimately the one there with her through it all who she has the true love story with. And at the end of the show, she 'retires' from court life or some such nonsense and goes off with Bash to have her hard-fought happy ending.

That's my Happy Ever After But Probably Never Going To Happen Because Francis Is Too Popular scenario and I'm sticking to it.

More+
Flag
Also, I may be the only one but I had no problem whatsoever with the Lola/Francis development. We can probably agree them getting together was more to do with getting caught in the moment and being sad and philosophical together but there did also seem to be a connection. And Mary is planning to marry Francis' brother. I want to see Francis make an effort to move on.

I've never been completely sure how much of Lola's (and the other LiW's) loyalty is to Mary as a person and a friend vs. simple duty to their Queen/families/whoever sent them there. And we've see Lola have her problems with Mary in the past so I'm not all that scandalised about her hooking up with Mary's ex. It seemed a realistic thing that could happen between two people in that situation.

Hoping we see more of Clarissa, love Catherine, Kenna will never not be Rachel Kinski from Neighbours for me.

'Make me the happiest bastard,' with Bash's accompanying expression and Nostradumus' “If you are looking for a weapon, some say there’s none greater than the scriptures themselves,” gave me an actual lol.
Flag
...first of all, i know its been overused but.. lola/susan needs to gtfo and go back to Narnia. i just can't stand that hoe. girl has been throwing shade since the first ep when she was all up on mary about colin. wench stay in line and respect your queen..

...clarissa be cray.thats all i gotta say bout her.

...obivously i ship "Frary" so mary and bash makes no sense to me at all. seriously.. someone tell me how she can "love" bash after those episodes they were showing. maybe sympathy love, or maybe if they make it go on for a few more episodes i can actually believe she's developing true feelings for him (i know shes been giving side glances to bash when she was with francis but cmon she obviously loves francis.. and dont get me wrong i love torrance but what i feel from his chemistry with adelaide on screen is 0, like brother sister relationship.. toby and adelaide though..thats sexual tension right there) but we know that aint gonna happen cuz frary is back bitcheeesss

... hmm.. i dont think any show has a couple that "stayed" together for the whole show with no breakup whatsoever but what really irks me is this love triangle between brothers which is so overused and soo cliche i just wanna stab myself in the eye. surely these brilliant writers can find other kinds of "drama" for the main couple. I mean she's a teenage QUEEN she deserves more than a petty angst filled which brother should i choose dilemma. p.s i like bash but hes getting to be sooooo annoying. give me bash in the woods all dirty with a wilding woman anyday and leave the love to frary.

More+
Flag
Guys do any of you have a theory as to how Nostradamus survived that stab at the jugular? These writers have some explaining to do because I personally have an issue with random survivals in shows that without current medical immediate interventions would result in a quick death lol.
Flag
Warning: this might get lengthy

Mary is getting a little too sassy, I don't think she ever talked down to Francis like that, he put her in her place [they were more on equal ground, I feel like with Bash she has the upper hand]. She's the one wearing the pants in her relationship with Bash. I am both a Frary and Mash fan, but with Bash even though they have their cute moments it does not compare to what Francis and Mary have. I am in my mid 20s and I would literally stop breathing during some of the Frary kissing scenes and their pre love making scene had me speechless in the best of ways. Not for a second do I feel that type of chemistry between Mary and Bash even with the proposal. I think bash is very handsome and charming and says all the right things but just because he seems like the perfect catch doesn't mean he will make Mary as happy. At least not yet. Mary has expected to marry Francis for a good 10 years or so, she is just getting to know bash romantically. So I look forward to the next episode when Francis comes back and we see some more interesting dynamics hopefully. I honestly have wanted Bash to be with Lola from the start. I liked the idea of them when she was by his side during his injury, and I wondered why that was not developed further.

I know Clarissa is bat shit crazy but since episode one she has been saving Mary's life pretty much every single episode. She is the one whom Mary trusted the most out of everyone in the castle. Obviously she has done very horrible things and is very emotionally disturbed but can anyone really blame her. She has lived in solitude her entire life with the only person who knows about her treating her like an animal (I hate the way Nostradamus talked to her, I know she killed Aylee but still he treats her as sub-human, for such a religious bloke he should have treated her nicer since childhood and maybe she wouldn't be such a nut case). ALSO on top of her already being on the brink of insanity she learns who her mother is and her own mother calls her a monster, I can see why she did what she did. I was very happy the little princes were safe but at the same time I did not enjoy seeing Mary kill the one person who has always had her back. I feel like without her around there will be somewhat of a void but hopefully they fill it with the pagan stuff going on.

I really love the Catherine/Nostradamus friendship, I was wowed by the ingenious idea of using the hook. I do not think I have ever seen that on any show.

Lola is a confusing character. I know love makes you blind, but she kind of went crazy on Mary blaming her for Colins death. I never understood why Lola did not ask Mary about marrying Colin before talking to anyone else. Lola pulled a dumb move, I know that they are at french court but she is there because she is LIW to the scottish queen. THE most infuriating thing is that instead of the ladies comforting Mary and being by her side and kind of telling Lola "Hey, Colin was going to put us all in danger" [IF mary goes, they all go FYI], they defend and comfort only her. But anyways thats besides the point, the whole Mary almost being raped was uncomfortable period and Lola seriously fucked up as a friend once again.

Lola really fucked up on this one. Its like she tried to say no and then said fuck it, I will have sex with francis anyways because I can. The fact that she knew it was wrong and did it anyways is what really got me. Yes, francis is single and so is Lola. But just because they have one heart to heart conversation doesn't mean "lets resolve this emptiness by having causal intercourse before you return to court"idea was any good. I just think it was a bad move on both their parts for entirely different reasons. Especially because Lola will have to LIE to Mary's face [I hope Mary doesn't just forgive her for it, Mary is too easy on these LIW in my opinion]. Mary is trying to build a relationship with bash because they will be married. It is expected for her to try to open up her heart to him. In her mind she will be with him for the rest of her days whether she likes it or not. But I swear when she sees francis again she will melt.

Even though her brother [Lola's] is handsome, I dont think he is right for any of the ladies. He is not a gentleman, he wouldnt even stick up for his sister and defend her honor when the sleaze ball brothel honor wanted to exchange the debt with sex. Come on who would want that kind of man, thats so weak his sister is constantly coming to the rescue.

I cant wait for Francis to sober up, get his shit together, and go fight for love. I am intrigued as to what the change in the prophecy will be. I want Mary to be happy and all of the spoilers I have read so far make it seem like she finally gets to choose, so until next time! Cant wait for the next review :D! Great job as always making me laugh Lily I was at work when I read the review and I kept having to muffle my laughter because people were looking at me like I had gone crazy.
More+
Flag
I was screaming "NO!!!" at the screen before Francis kissed Lola. That was so messed up. He's such a man whore. I felt sick watching them. It was so wrong.
Flag
Lola and Francis was just wrong. What sort of friend does that. I mean I can understand why Francis did as he was angry and sad. But I don't get Lola secretly hoping she dies a painful death. Can't believe they killed aylee and kept Lola. Totally thinking she's going to marry francis next week though I totally would go with Bash. But I hope they gave him a better love interest. I'm really hoping that Lola won't turn out to be pregnant or anything.
Flag
If she is pregnant I will be so upset, I had been hoping maybe Mary would be the pregnant one. Ugh, Francis just masks his emptiness with wine and sex but still they both should have known better, even though francis had no intention of returning to court Lola did. Lola is a horrible LIW.
Flag
Who would I rather have covering my back, Clarissa or Lola? Clarissa all the way. Even though Clarissa is a wild card and her behaviour is unpredictable, so is Lola's. Maybe in a less violent sort of way, but Lola has not been Mary's biggest supporter. I feel like Lola is one of those girls who chooses a guy over her girl friends, you know? No matter how gossamer her connection to that guy may be. Lola thinks with her sex-drive. On the other hand, Clarissa is trying to make a connection with Mary, because she identifies with Mary in a strange way. Because the idea of a woman's virtue was highly valued, sex was used sparingly and with purpose during those times. Francis and Lola sleeping together has given Lola power over her queen.
Flag
Lola was not a virgin by that time, she had given up her virtue to Colin already.
Flag
Well I didn't say that Lola was a virgin. I said she thinks with her sex drive. And that sleeping with Francis has given her power over Mary, she can hurt Mary at will. That's power over someone. I said virtue was valued and that sex was used sparingly for women, to secure a marriage, a title, money, favour. I was talking about virtue in general, not Lola's or lack thereof. Bye.
Flag
Francis once said that if something were to happen to throw his whole royal blood line out of succession then he would be able to make swords. Then Mary chimed in and said she would save him, and she would whisk him away to Scotland where they could rule together. What happened people!? I think the writers had a better alternative than a Francis-Lola hookup. I would have liked to seen Francis was trying to make an honest living as a swordsmaker or something, but he ended up in a brothel. This disappoints me. And I don't blame Mary entirely for the change in the line of succession. What is Henry thinking? He trained Francis to be king, remember the daily lessons? And gave Bash the paternal indulgences and affections he withheld from Francis, so Francis could one day be a king who put his country first and personal needs second. Francis and Bash are not so easily interchangeable. I ship Francis with the throne.
Flag
Lily, I forgot to mention in my earlier post how hysterical I thought your recap was. I especially loved the picture of Bash looking proud at Mary "killing" Clarissa. I thought the same thing. And I even tweeted something about how Bash is looking on with such admiration as if watching Mary bludgeon a disturbed woman makes him horny! LOL!
Flag
... Francis and Lola: were sad, horny, drunk so it makes sense

... Clarissa’s mask was plus sized cause they misjudged the size of her head.
... Mary proposing to Bash: I don't know hey do look good together but I think she feels safe with him can't really say they are in love but they are getting there.
... Ok, I admit the only series I was like you guys should stay together foreveeeeeer was Summer and Seth from The OC

Flag
Awesome recap. I love Francis and Bash both, first tv series where it is extremely hard for me to pick a side. I was all for Francis now Bash. But What I find comical is that in the tv series Francis is such a manwhore, and in history they couldn't prove that their marriage was even consummated because there was a question of whether young Francis's balls had even dropped or not.
Flag
Well the real Francis died at 16 and this fictionalized Francis is clearly older than that. Not to mention there was no real-life Bash or love triangle. So clearly they are taking some historical liberties. What I find more comical is the whole set-up at the beginning of the show was that Bash was the bad boy bastard and Francis was the obedient Prince. But we haven't seen any of that in Bash, he's more whipped than bad.
Flag
Mary and Bash have such a sibling vibe, I can't ship them. It doesn't compare at to the sexual tension that charges every Francis and Mary scene. And yeah, he shouldn't have slept with Lola but he was empty, lonely, lost and extremely vulnerable for a friendly and willing partner. Plus, he never expected to see Mary again. Neither Mary or Francis have been perfect but the bottom line is your heart loves who it loves. And Mary is crazy-madly-I-would-die-for-you-and-marry-your-brother-to-save-your-life in love with Francis and that hasn't gone away. Bash may be a good friend to Mary but she will never feel love him the way she does Francis. Let Bash go find a woman who feels the same way about him that Mary does about Francis. And yes, Lola needs to go to hell but I suspect the insta-sex was a set-up for more Frary conflict down the road.
Flag
You hit the nail on the head
Flag
Great review Lily! Look, I don't agree that Lola being with Francis is right, but he 's in the wrong also. He's always sleeping with someone, but claims to love Mary. He is just a man whore. I really enjoy Mary and Bash's time together. I hope Mary and Bash are the ones that are married. If only Catherine could stop trying to kill Mary they would make a great team.
Flag
Hilarious as always Lily! Can't wait til OUAT is back too so you can crack me up twice a week :)
I love every single moment of screen time that Mary and Bash have together. They are just perfect. And the angst is that you know they can't stay together, so what is going to happen???? Don't kill Bash!!!
And Lola, ugh what can we say? You just don't go there!
Flag
love your recaps lily. but did you seriously say people shouldnt be upset that one of the best friends of Mary just slept her ex-fiance? It was stupid and made no sense. thought this certain episode had alittle too much day time soap opera elements.
Flag
Staff
Lola may have been best friends with Mary at one point, but since her fiancee was killed for attempting to rape Mary Lola has lost a lot of her deference for Mary. Plus in the real world, people sleep with their best friend's exes...it's not unthinkable. And I didn't say people shouldn't NOT be upset about it (I sure am, which is why I bawled Lola out the whole review) but that a certain amount of heart-wringing drama is to be expected.
Flag
I think this is the funniest review you've ever written XD
I already hated Lola but now i hate her even more, she's the worst friend EVER, nothing else to add to that.
I feel sorry for Clarissa but she was really outhere and also think she will be back.
And I dont' think Mary is in love with Bash, I think she likes him and cares about him, but she doesn't feel the kind of love and passion she has for Francis, not even close.
Can't wait to see what happens next episode, especially concerning Queen Cahterine's fate!
Flag
Ok, kinda gross question, but wasn't this whole virtue thing a big deal? But now not only Mary, but apparently Lola, not to mention Kenna? Surely this is going to be a problem at some point? For something they spent a very uncomfortable few minutes agonising over to explain, they seem to have forgotton it completely.
Flag
Staff
Make no mistake, loss of virginity- particularly in a noblewoman who usually had a betrothal lined up that solidified financial and defensive alliances- was about as desperate and terrifying an action as suicide. The caveats here are royal mistresses (Kenna) and usually those who were publicly betrothed (Lola and Mary and Frances) as betrothal was seen as like, Marriage Part 1. Henry Percy tried to divorce his wife 2 years after their marriage because he insisted as he had once been betrothed to Anne Boleyn she was his true wife (a claim Anne Boleyn hotly contested.) The fairy tale out of the bunch is Greer: it is almost unthinkable a woman in the monied classes would seriously contemplate having a romantic tryst with a kitchen servant,.
Flag
Since Greer isn't titled, she would be a commoner, the same as Leith. But I suppose back then, being rich vs. no money was a pretty big deal.
Flag
Yes, what has happened with Greer and Leith?
Flag
I love Catherine thanking Mary for murdering her daughter. The woman is a riddle. I'm not mad at Francis. I am still mad at Lola though. First, there was her attitude about her rapist boyfriend. Then Mary apparently gave her time off to go save her brother's life and Lola used the same trip to bang Mary's ex. What a shady friend.
Flag
I loved this episode I can finally see Mary and bash developing into a relationship him kissing her, fighting, more kissing, more fighting and disagreement, another kiss and a marage proposal. I liked how proud bash was when Mary steped up and killed Clarissa. Now Lola Lola Lola what 'Lola wants Lola gets........ Great song but come on Francis keep it in your pants, did any one else notice how hot her brother was any way, Thank god Catherine didn't die she is the meat of this show and can't die. I'm really looking forward to next week bash and Francis have a blow out over Mary's love Mary's getting married but we never saw the groom and once again Mary stands up to king dick and shows him who's boss.
Flag
Lola and Francis: no way. Seconds before they started making out, I was already screaming "No no no no" at my screen, increasing the volume of my voice with each No.

I must admit I am a Frary supporter, but it's true it wouldn't be fun if they're together right away. Drama!!!

And I just love Catherine. Who wouldn't? She is the best.
Flag
I was screaming No, no, no & Lola you're such a slut lol
Flag
I don't know why but I found Bash saying make me the luckiest bastard in the world kinda funny. Really loving the relationship between Katherine and Mary, definitely the best part of the show. I can see where Lola's coming from I mean the only man she's loved was killed plus she doesn't really have much control of her life.
Flag
I snorted obnoxiously loud at that line.
Flag

"As soon as the pair you want to be together gets together you will—oh yes, you will—lose interest."

It's a good thing I'm covered for this show... Frances or Bash. Don't care. I'm good either way!

I was thinking Clarissa wasn't dead either... but her dying at Mary's cause would technically fulfill Nostradamus' prophecy, leaving Frances in the clear no? He keeps insisting it will be Catherine's first born (unless the sister that was married in the pilot was supposed to be older than Frances) As for the whole Frola situation, I thought it was hilarious that her brother didn't step in and except his punishment to spare her getting down and dirty. Was just like, oooh tough payment plan... byeeee.
Flag
Nice observation about the Nostradamus prophecy, if Mary has killed Clara (but I don't think Clara is dead) Do prophecies get fulfilled if you think you killed the first born?
Flag
I really wanted Clarissa to blink at the very last second...
Flag
Lily, awesome review! I especially love your screencap commentaries. The one with Bash saying "So proud of you for spilling blood baby" makes me literally lol each time I read it! As well as the ones with Charles face re: not being in the line of succession! The one about Lola makes me think almost want to withdraw my defence of her! And the one with Mary saying Clarissa's the best friend she had is so sad and so true :( Which is why I kind of like Greer best, she's been upset with Mary and let her know it but she seems the most on Mary's side from the pilot to now. But AWESOME review! Thank-you!
Flag
I liked the episode, but it wasn't my favourite, even though as a Mash shipper I really got amazing scenes. I think it's just because it's obvious who Mary will marry next week and I know my ship isn't going to last much longer. Also, I didn't quite like the editing or camera work. (The festival scene was beautiful though!)

I do miss Francis and just the general feeling the show had before, where it was lighter and we focused a little on everyone. (Kenna, Greer, Catherine, Diane, etc) I'm ready to see the rest of the storylines play out as well as some new ones.

I definitely think my favourite part of this episode was Catherine. I was really growing to hate her and she really brought me back out of that this week!

I love the show though and can't wait for next week and the rest of the season!
Flag
Agreed, about Mary marrying Francis (though I think it's supposed to be in the finale isn't it?) I also miss the story lines about the other people at court (even Kenna a tiny tiny bit). But at least watching Catherine chew up every piece of available scenery has been a treat.
Flag
I just want Mary to look at Lola next week and be like "off with your head, bitch."
Flag
"Is Lola taking her sweet time finding the hole that leads all the way to hell that she needs to fall into?"
Yes. Yes she is.

My best friend, who I recently introduced this show to, is loving all this Mashiness!!! But its making me want to travel the secret passages of my castle and kill random servants just trying to get busy on the bed of a soon to be decapitated queen!!! In otherwords its a makin me crazy!!!!
Flag

* it bothers me that they slip parts like after the poison bath or mar and Bash's morning rides, we've seen Bash with a horse before why not some of those scenes

* Mary and Charles have the same smile when they get to the frost fair

* Catharines line " I escaped , my dear ,I hide waiting, it's all very thrilling but let's save that tale for later" Megan follows is an amazing actress, she gets better each week

*francis found in a Paris brothal/game house not very surprising

* what's he doing there, drinking, sexing whores, playing cards the normal things one would par take in such an establishment

*also who didn't see the Francis/Lola hook up coming also not very surprising

* not mad at them(cause I love mash) but that's very bad form on Lola's side but I also think that Lola and Francis have more chemistry then he does with Mary, he made me actually feel bad for him

* I thought for a minute Catherine did kill herself one very long commercial minute

* where in the world is Alec? worst bodyguard ever

* is king Henry the character going crazy?

* Mary proposing to bash, how very 20th century for the queen if scots

* how can Francis not think his mother was capable of something like adultery, an they don't even know about her love child yet and Lola well Catharine was responsible for lots of things including Colin's death naive kids, so naive

* Francis skipping down the stairs the morning after with Lola

* could you imagine what sort of hissy fit Francis would have throw if Mary "forbid" him from anything?

* Mary spent most if her life away from her family, friends so i get why she would want to keep the princes at the castle, getting defensive is a reaction she got from, an used against her by Francis but as soon as Bash walked away she's like I'm such a bitch

* I also don't think Bash sent the boys away out of spite, like Mary said he did what he had to without hesitation, they weren't safe he came up the a plan, got them out

* they've also kissed more in 1,episode then half of Mary and Francis kisses, they say there more important to relationships then sex so...

*what a bad episode for Clarissa, killing, kidnapping, almost drowning the princes, where did the saviour in her go? Also don't think she's dead

More+
Flag
1- i would LOVE to see those scenes as well, solidifies them as a couple to see them BEING a couple you know?
2- brothel, not surprised AT ALL good call
3- i agree with your chemistry notion for Francis and Lola completely
4- AHAHA to alec HAHAHAHA the woooorst
5- when he realizes the whole scope of what his mother has done i dont think he'll be too happy, he doesnt even know she tried to kill Mary and he DID say if she tried to harm any of them he wont hesitate to let Henry kill her
6- THANK You for pointing out that Francis is a big baby and way too emotional
7- bash is amazing. calls mary out on her shit, listens, and for once i saw a couple fight, sort it out, and make up like normal human beings!
Flag

1. Francis and Lola: an abomination, your new OTP, or file it under “sometimes friends make messy decisions”? I doubt this is really going anywhere

2. Why was Clarissa’s mask so plus-sized? to cover the messed up plastic surgery

3. What is your favorite activity at the Frost Fair? they barely showed the frost fair

4. Mary proposing to Bash: another unselfish act to secure the safety of the young princes, or mounting evidence that Bash is pulling ahead in her queenly affections? I think both

5. Can you think of a drama series where a couple got together and just stayed together and you were like “YESSSS MORE STABLE RELATIONSHIP I LOVE THIS”? Nope

Flag
Before Francis enters in to any other relationships he needs to break up with his facial hair.
Flag
I think his actual hair is worse at the moment. It used to be glossy but now it's oily and sits awkwardly around his face imo.
Flag
You're right. He should probably just cut his losses and shave it all.
Flag
LOL
Flag
best part of lily's review
ONE MILLION BILLION!
lolooooolll
Flag
1. Messy decisions. Is Lola going to be his Mistress if Francis gets to be King? More importantly is she going to tell Mary, before or after she knows she’s pregnant?
2. Well Clarissa didn’t have time to go for a fitting with all the murdering she had to do.
3. Walking around looking hot and attracting some royal company.
4. I don’t care about her intentions, it was fluffy and nice and made me think about their first kiss.
5. No I can’t.

The maids equivalent of doing it on your bosses desk was such a killer, I loved it.

It was nice to see more of France, not just the castle. Although I could have gone without Francis.

You’ve got to hand it to Catherine, she’s recourse full.

Sloppy cleanup will come to bite them in the ass, it was too soon for Clarissa to go so she can’t be dead.
Flag
hahaha i love all the points you made and i totally agree with #4
Flag
Oh I forgot Kenna was trying too hard to be nice stepmother when Charles (or was it Henry) fell.
Flag
I'll quote your last piece and say DANNNNNG!! I have spent a good amount of time reading everyones reactions and there is a full spectrum of emotional outbursts. Frola hate, catherine love, and mash awe/resistance.
There were others who said it was merely a filler episode but i can't fathom how or why someone would come to this conclusion. Back to the main points! I can't help but somewhat side with mineta's comment on how lola looks likeMary and francis like colin and their filling e void with look-alikes. But another commenter said "exes are off limits to friends. Thats just like the rules of feminist" haha BAD LOLA BAAAAD and why must francis always run into the arms of another woman anytime he's suffering a weak moment? Remember Olivia? And that episode mary and him hadn't even had that big of a fight.... BAD FRANCIS BAAAAD
let me also add that if you're that torn over your TRUE love u don't mend thwt by banging her bff. Come on. Keep it in your pants u big baby. I still like him tho but seriously, after everything, the true love argument is now invalid.
Catherine blew my mind, as always! I loved how genuine she was. "I believe you mean that" my heart hurt for her. I think shes finally broke her walls of defence and come to the realization that karma is a biotch ( *hug* but from far away cuz I'm still shit scared of her)
MARY AND BASH hollllllllyyyyyy my mash heart fluttered, stopped breathing, came back, and hyperventilated for the rest of the episode. Whoever says Mary has been miserable may have had some weight to that statement UNTIL NOW. She looked so genuinely happy i smiled like an idiot the whole time
and whoever says they aren't in love can just shut their faces :) thanks. She CHOSE bash, it may have began as the only option to save francis but things have definitely solidified emotionally for them both. And for ONCE a couple fought and sorted it out like NORMAL HUMAN BEINGS!!! So refreshing honestly
funny enough all e mash hate seems to have subsided. Even frary fans can't deny their genuine relationship and their love. For whoever is still hanging on to the hate. Let go. Come to the mash side. We have cookies. And crystal eyes :D
THE PROPOSAL!!! I've rewatched it a solid 10 times and #1 his face when he proposes. #2 her face when he says no and #3 when he proposes
too many feelings all at once. I can't. Too much. *clenching heart*
and one last fact, whoever is a frary fan wants her to marry francis STOP, may i remind u HE WILL DIE DURING THEIR FIRST YEAR OF MARRIAGE?! U do realize that right??? So ya. Bash it is. Thanks guys.
More+
Flag
#1 When she* proposes
Flag
Ha...last night i was in such a weird emotional space that I couldn't handle TVD, so I just went right for this and it was exactly what I needed.

1. I guess (and Adelaide Kane puts Teen Wolf on my brain, I'm sorry, but Cora is lucky she is away from the drama in Beacon Hills especially since she and Stiles had a fun energy), I feel about Lola the same way I do about Isaac? No, nevermind. That was uncomfortable and both of them should have known better, I do sense historical accuracy maybe coming into play via Mary's mother and we are going to be having the debate is it fair that Mary only ever has sex with Francis because of this..

2. So, I figure because Mary only had really seen Clarissa's face through water refraction...or the only thing I remember from eighth grade.

3. Ha, I was distracted by the idea that were those actual animal heads?

4. Mary just wanting some goddamn closure on this whole thing. She's seventeen, like getting up there in marriageable ages.

5. I don't watch it, but Castle? On the comedy front, Leslie and Ben.
More+
Flag
Leslie and Ben! You're right! I love them better together than when they were will-they-won't-they. Parks and Rec really does stable relationships well... but that is a definite rarity!
Flag
I don't watch it either but maybe Castle is a good one? Although I hear they took a REALLY long time getting together... like more than one season or something? Unlike Frary who I adore ep 1-8 but who got together almost immediately by comparison.
Flag
... Can you think of a drama series where a couple got together and just stayed together and you were like “YESSSS MORE STABLE RELATIONSHIP I LOVE THIS”?

Well, actually I can. Nathan and Haley from One Tree Hill. It was pretty rocky for them in the first seasons, but most of the times they were together and married.
Flag
Naley! Exactly!!! they had a little trouble during some later episodes but were together and happy for the better part of 9 seasons!!!!!

Of course we want our OTPs to be happy and together!!! We dont want drama we want to be able to go crazy imagining their entire lives together into old age!!!

Just because we say that they are too happy and something is gonna ruin it, is because we never get enough chances where we see the stability. But from my point of view I absolutely want more stable relationships, I love that!!
Flag
Don't get me wrong, I like stable relationships too but on drama shows don't you think that maybe the reason why Naley could be relatively stable was because there was more than enough relationship drama and other drama with everyone else? Just a thought.
Flag
yeah but if i had it my way what id want is stability in only a few of my ships then drama for the rest i guess
Flag
Me too. (hugs)
Flag
I loved Naley but Haley kissed Chris Keller and basically ran off to go on a music tour with him and as a result her and Nathan were a part for a whole year... There were even divorce papers...except one of them signed "I love you" insead of their name (sigh SO SWEET!) I wouldn't give that answer for Lily's question but I guess you see it differently than I do...
Flag
What I meant is that despite all the bad things that Naley had in their relationship, they still managed to stay together and maintain their love till the end of the show. There were more stability in their relationship shown then arguing. And for Frary I don't remember a single episode where they were good during the whole episode. It's always good at the beginning and bad at the end or vice versa. It would've been nice to see them happy for the entire episode without doubts and troubles. I just hope the writers let other couple to feel that for a change.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members