A Reign Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

Reign S01E10: Sacrifice

Between the panicked pagan prayers, extremely gushy blood sound effects and the epic kiss between Mary and Bash (OVER A GRAVE!), I hereby dub "Sacrifice" the most Bashionate episode of Reign in World history. The show’s central love triangle is positioning itself to tear my heart in two like a spent roller coaster ticket by setting up Bash as a sensitive, loyal, and figuratively AND literally noble-ass dreamboat with progressive ideas about religious tolerance. Yes, Bash's character was crystallized after weeks and weeks of Reign painting Francis as the Most Eligible Prince Ever, and now I don't know who I'm rooting for. Are you conflicted? Are you staring at two T-shirts right now, one emblazoned with “Team Bash” the other ”Team Francis” and dissolving into sobs? Me too. It’s partly the Puffy Paint fumes. Let’s process this.

The “All ‘Bout Bash” episode started with an extremely Games of Thrones-y swordplay lesson, and Torrance Coombs was clearly loving life (I mean, who doesn’t love having swordplay as part of their day job) until Mary showed up and reminded him he should be sitting on a throne looking bored. Bash got sort of annoyed because, you know, all these EXPECTATIONS just because he's going to be King and stuff... No, 'tis bewildering that Bash is still ANNOYED at being promoted to future King status because hello, ALL people did back in the day was try to become King. But then we quickly became sympathetic to Bash’s distaste for the whole noblesse oblige thing when we learned that a huge part of playing substitute to King Henry is presiding over 4H club debates. 

All the fun was interrupted by the appearance of a tween with a beach ball shoved under her dress who gave the “What’s up” nod to Bash. Lola was like “SIDE BITCH.”

Then my fourth-grade teacher Mrs. Meznick showed up, called Bash a “handsome bastard,” and barreled toward, him with a Taxi Driver concealed blade up her sleeve. Thank goodness, because this meant Mary got to have a scene across from Catherine and let’s be real those are the best. 

Catherine had transformed her house arrest into an excuse to redecorate. Mary demanded that all of Catherine's comfort foods, floral arrangements, etc. be removed from her cell at once, and Catherine was like “WAIT NOT MY EYE CREAM” which made me laugh out loud, because as I’ve said before Megan Follows has basically managed to not age since Green Gables, I don’t know if it's science or witchcraft or what, but all I could think was “What kind of eye cream, boo? Let’s get specific.” In terms of product placement, if they’d tucked some antiquated brand name in (“Not my Huiles d’Olay Code de Youth!”), that shizz would have gotten boughten.

Anyway. Despite Lola trying to stir the pot and create drama and drag everyone into her personal vortex of tragic nightmare relationships (I still see you Lola! I do NOT forgive you for defending your RAPIST BOYFRIEND, Lola!) Isobel turned out to actually not be Bash's lover, but his half-cousin. Isobel had been falsely accused and dragged into court to reveal his connection to her father—a former TRAITOR! Obviously the half-nephew of a dead traitor could never be King! Their connection must be suppressed, and Isobel must flee the castle to have her baby in total seclusion! Mary was like, this sounds like a great excuse for a makeover.

Mary is secretly a budding stylist, yeah? Aside from her own mind-meltingly beautiful clothes, remember how she picked out that hot blue number for Olivia? Anyway, she went needlessly nuts on Isobel (wigs!) in preparation for their daring escape from the castle, popped on the most beautiful golden cape these eyes have ever seen, and left her ladies in charge of finding the evidence that would tie Catherine to the attempt on Bash’s life (and honor!) Yes, it's an assignment that seems incredibly difficult to accomplish in the age before DNA identification, fingerprinting, microscopes, policework etc. but really what else do they have to do? Make yourselves useful, ladies.

The Waiting Braidies attempted to interrogate Catherine, which led to Catherine lining THEM up against a wall and giving them free readings like Miss Cleo has only ever dreamed of. She took down Kenna and Greer like mice under a lawnmower and she came for Lola, but, you know, it’s Lola: can’t shame the shameless. (LOLA I still see you for supporting your fiancee SEXUALLY ASSAULTING YOUR BEST FRIEND & QUEEN!! #NotForgivenNotForgotten!!) Anyway I really enjoyed Catherine's snaps.

Meanwhile Bash and Mary were enjoying the most delicious golden woods a brocade cape ever matched, with Bash ready to unbosom the fact that he’s been in love with Mary since the pilot, obviously, but then Bash heard the snap of a twig under a squirrel’s foot as it ran away from a guard’s horse three miles away... and they had to flee to the Blood Wood!

There is nothing I love more than the Blood Wood. It is where we go for the very scariest and craziest parts of Reign, so OF COURSE the second they stopped in the Blood Wood, Isobel had to go into labor. It’s like the baby smelled all that conflict and was like “This will be a great plot point. Time to be born.” 

Since Isobel couldn’t travel during delivery, Alec, Bash and Mary set up a rather elaborate and impressive roundhouse tent in approximately ten minutes and Isobel went very messily into labor. Mary stepped out for a breath of fresh air in the midst of the delivery and noticed a giant Blair Witch Mannikin hanging from a tree. And then she heard the frantic yammering of Witchy Pagan Rambling. They were all surrounded by chanting pagans! And then, the greatest horror of all: Bash, Alec, and Ysobel started CHANTING ALONG with the Witchy Pagan Prayer!! The call was coming from inside the house/the pagan prayer was coming from inside the roundhouse!

It never stops delighting me that Bash is so neck deep in crazy. And when Mary basically swooned at the extremely spooky heresy, Bash was like “#Tolerance & #respect” and Mary was like “THE PAGANS JUST CHOPPED A HEAD OFF A HORSE!!!!” Because while Mary’s New Age beliefs have expanded to embrace prophesy, she knows firsthand what it feels like to be menaced by pagans, and I think we can all agree horses are seriously special creatures and this animal in particular seemed like an innocent bystander. 

But then a baby was born, and there was so much placenta. I don’t know if this was a subtle way to ensure that every teenage viewer will go out this weekend to buy a jumbo box of condoms, but this was by far the most graphic placentary I have seen on The CW. And it like snapped and gushed and blooshed and spurted! How much is birth like the movie Alien? You know what, don’t answer that.

Meanwhile Kenna was trying to get some reading done while Catherine basically played the dozens on her. Guys what do you think she was reading? Sex and the Single Girl or The Rules?

However, Catherine’s nonstop taunting apparently reminded Kenna of something: They were living in an age without DNA identification, fingerprinting, microscopes, or police work. They didn’t need to find any evidence implicating Catherine, they could just make some shit up! They could straight-up forge some letters, borrow Catherine’s seal, and it would be an airtight case because that was the level of forensic science during the 16th century. Never stop being grateful for the present day, kids, never stop being grateful.

So Lola presented Catherine with the forged letters, a.k.a. a morally gray but utterly unimpeachable piece of planted evidence. Catherine was like “What is your deal?!” and Lola was like “I just don’t want someone corrupt in power I am basically a revolutionary this will rehabilitate my image a very little bit with some TV recappers maybe?” and I was like “NICE TRY LOLA BUT WE ALL KNOW WHAT YOU DID!!!”

Meanwhile, ACTUAL evidence was mounting that Mary might actually not know that much about delivering babies. I mean, when she lifted the blanket off a very white Isobel’s nether regions, it looked like she’d gotten that baby out using a cheese grater. And the blood wound foley sound effects that accompanied the sight... I mean, the sound of Mary lifting the blanket off Isobel sounded like someone trying to pull a Whoopie Cushion out of a mud flat. It was sort of unsettling. Bash was like “Isobel no worries you’ll be okay” and Mary was like “on opposite day” and Bash watched his half-cousin die right in front of his eyes—after she made him promise to look out for the Lil’est Pagan Baby.

First of all Torrance Coombs did some subtle reaction work here, kudos, it was heartfelt without being gratuitous. Second, the writing for this Bash-centric episode repeatedly enforced Bash as being protective of family and too passionate to lie smoothly. This is consistent with what we know of his character, very endearing, and it obviously makes him a great foil for Francis, who basically hates his parents and is a smooth operator. It's also interesting that some of Mary's largest insights into both suitors were communicated to Mary via close females—exes (Olivia), or in Bash's case, his sort-of sister.

When Bash had to lay the body of his beloved sister-esque half-cousin before the Weaselly Dude in Cahoots With Queen Catherine, his struggle between personal integrity was shown, not told: Bash was clearly having a hard time concealing his feelings and “confessing” to Isobel’s murder. But it must be said that WOW that is a crazy thing to admit to. Basically Bash’s story was “This extremely small young lady resisted arrest so I killed her. Apparently by yanking out her uterus. J/K she had just given birth. Before I killed her. Whoops!” I mean damn, that's less damaging to your reputation as a King than being slightly related to a pagan traitor? And then Cahoots was like “Well done, hopefully the baby will be eaten by wolves!” and it was just so ridiculously evil that I had no choice but to cackle out loud. I am sorry if any of you readers have lost loved ones to ravenous Fronch wolves, it just made me smile. Luckily the baby was alive, though branded by Isobel with a sacred pagan rune on her foot, I’m guessing either this symbol:

Or this:

So Bash is still techncially in danger of being revealed as the half-cousin of a notorious traitor? Still, neither looming danger nor a fresh grave could stop these two lovebirds from closing in on a big old wet n' juicy kiss.  Mary brought an incredible flower arrangement to Isobel’s grave but Bash was like “Pagans prefer to cut themselves and bleed rather than do something grisly like let flowers wilt, 'kay?” Sure Bash. I  just hope the cut on his palm from when he took Francis to the Blood Wood had healed. Or maybe he sliced the other hand? I’m betting Bash does not play a lot of piano. But then Mary also cut her hand and joined him in a pagan rite!

And then they kissed over a grave and it was like AHHH it’s no longer just an arranged marriage!! And also NOOOO poor Francis but also Yo Ho Ho Bash this is all you’ve ever wanted/needed!! I can get behind these two. And now that I’m sort of thinking about how genuine Bash is, how supportive of Mary he is, how he's all about “I would do this just for you we’d be family”— whereas Francis to start with was all “We must think about our countries first and foremost”—I am equally convinced that Bash would be worse for Frahnnce and better for Mary. Whatever our emotional leanings, history/Wikapedia tells us that Mary will end up with Francis. While I don’t see a History Channel logo in the corner of the screen, this ain’t a documentary and so far the show has not let historical accuracy hamstring its efforts to entertain us silly. Still, I am fairly confident she will end up married to Francis; whether or not he’s the one she loves is currently open for debate. 

QUESTIONS:

– Did Mary maybe not do the best job birthing that baby?

– Is Bash curiously ungrateful about his new promotion, or would being King be a nightmare via absolute power corrupting everyone?

– Eye creams: any good recommends?

– What book was Kenna reading?

– Would you go pagan for your man? Would you put up with his Pagan rituals? What if they involved him cutting his hands a LOT and that meant no help opening jars?

– Are you conflicted about Bash vs. Francis, or are you allllll the way Bash or #Frary4Life? (Explain your answer, show your work.)

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/23/2016

Season 3 : Episode 15

Next Episode

AIRS ON 6/6/2016

Season 3 : Episode 16

182 Comments
Comments (167)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I was slowly getting on the Bash train, when Francis was being a dick. But now I feel REALLY BAD for Francis, and I sense this is going to be another show, like The Vampire Diaries, that bums me out by going with the second option as the final answer as the love interest, when I'm still into the former. Come one, Francis and Mary were going to be 100% happy and good rulers before that prophecy.

As a show, I'm glad that wasn't the final answer, because obviously since they "did it" after 8 episodes and were about to get everything they wanted, it wouldn't have been sustainable without some added drama, but I actually want her to love Francis still, and I can tell that end game now is probably married to Francis but in love with Bash. Is Francis gonna be a bad guy? 'Cause really, I don't see him as a bad guy at the moment. He wasn't being the most faithful, but hooking up with your ex (who you don't even love anymore) is just not as bad as taking one's crown, demoting one's mother and brother, and marrying one's half brother.

I don't know, the show really convinced me of the good connection between Mary and Francis already, so it's hard for me to get on board the Bash train. But hey, fun soap opera.
More+
Flag
That kiss on the grave was 1000% gothic romance... unless you're a gramophobe. Bash was seriously bleeding all over her face #grossbithessososooopretty
Flag
This review had me howling with laughter. Thanks for that!!!
Flag
Okay I have been reading your posts for some time now (like three days) and I just have to say you are doing an awesome job ! Funny, witty (hilarious pictures) and good questions that make us think. Looking forward to reading the rest of your posts !
Reign Rules ! You too !
Flag
Never thought in a million years I would laugh this hard at a picture of a horse's corpse. Jesus.

Bash all the way! Btw, didn't you notice those lovely blue eyes on the cousin and how they were staring each other all scared with te similar eyes? (no hers aren't as sexy as his but nice anyway) I was immediately like "snap, that *itch is related to him".
Flag
I love this show best tv show I seen in a long time.
Flag
I want to support Bash, I really do. But Frances is so much better for Mary. With Bash, he will love Mary. Which is great. But she's the Queen of Scotland. If she wanted blind adoration, she could just walk into her own court. What she needs is a King. Which this episode made plain that Bash will never be, because he will never care more for a country than a single person. Also, what was supposed to be a very touching moment of support from Mary, and then the kiss, did not quite bring on the warm and fuzzies because:

1. This is the second time Mary has had to make the first move. If Bash was really so 'passionate' why is it every time they kiss Mary is the one in the lead?

2. The Blood. I don't even care that it was his own, anytime you kiss someone and end up with blood all over your face, it kills the mood.

Basically, as much as I really want to support Bash, with Mary it just doesn't work for me.
Flag
I don't even know how I'm supposed to feel right now, I mean one minute I'm all like "FRARY FOREVER!" but then out of the blue I'm suddenly feeling like I want a side of Mash on my plate too.

And especially after this episode I can feel my traitorous self warming to Bash whilst my Frary heart seethes and longs for Francis' return.

Originally, I had hoped that Francis might have left to I don't know... kill the pope or whatever to stop Bash from being legitimised. But after seeing the photos of him and Lola (TRAITORS - THE BOTH OF THEM), I'm beginning to wonder if he's truly given up.

As for Bash, as much as he's a moral, caring, and loyal character, am I the only one who can't forget that HE PUSHED SOME GUY OFF A CLIFF!?!?

Despite this, I do love him & Mary.
But also still Francis & Mary too.

:'( I'm so conflicted

Flag
Regarding Mary and some people calling her fickle. I think we should all remember that she's only 15 years old!!! Francis is 16 or 17 at this time and Sebastian, we don't know but he's the oldest. I think that where Frary went wrong is when they told each other "I love you" but at different times also agreed that "love is irrelevant to people to people like" them. So in essence they both agreed that their love for each other means nothing!!! Because when someone tells you they love you, you expect that now you are either priority #1 with that person and their actions will bear it out or at the very least you receive equal consideration/value/weight with that person as they give themselves. Mary and Francs both wouldn't or couldn't commit to doing this long-term, so in the end, this along with the prophecy that made Mary believe that marrying Francis = murdering Francis, tore them apart (imho).

Something incredible about this show, is that you can't really be mad at and blame anyone completely! Not Mary, not Francis nor Bash. They're all really young, too young to know for sure what true love is-especially Mary. And Mary is not allowed to date!!! Her marriages are arranged but she wants love in her life so she tries (aka works her butt off) to build a love relationship with Francis and succeeded. It became real for both. Unfortunately, Olivia's words ring true, Frary's love connection was "manufactured out of a political need." So that + the prophecy + "love is irrelevant to people like us" killed them (temporarily I assume).

I wrote this b/c I don't think anyone should be mad at Mary. She's doing the best she can, while being confined by societal rules about where her love should be directed. Think her behaviour re: Tomas. And remember when she was mad and drunk enough to leave Francis (if she could) she complained to Bash that she's "stuck with no recourse" meaning no way out, she had to stay in her "nunnery of one" while he "could do whatever he wants with whomever he wants" (i.e. Olivia). Girl has it hard. Does she currently still have feelings for Francis? Of course (to my dismay lol). Feelings like Frary don't disappear overnight, if ever, but she has a job to do, lives to save and Bash is her only way out plus now she gets to see what it would be like to "date" the guy she was forbidden away from and yet as Diane put it has "a thirst inside of her" for. I hereby rest my defence of Mary :D
More+
Flag
Very good analysis!!
Flag
Thanks saizen33! I was lat posting this and wondered if anyone even read it! LOL
Flag
I'm curious about the order of the episodes. Role Reversal was supposed to be next but now it's Inquisition. I wonder if Francis will be absent for the next episode too. I'll be back to read the recap either way because Lily's review are the best reviews I've ever read but I'm torn on watching the new episodes. Y'all know I'm totally #TeamFrancis (just him not on the Francis/Mary ship anymore) and don't like how Mary just forgot all about him in a few weeks. I also don't want Francis to kiss Lola. I want him to remain loyal to Mary for as long as possible just so she'll feel bad about dumping him. Hopefully Lola will finally show Mary some form of true friendship and not kiss him back. But I really want to see Olivia come back (prolly preggos) and get with Francis, if only for a little while. Cause we all know Olivia is not queen material. I want to see Catherine ...well do anything because she's so awesome. I want to see what is going to happen when Diane comes back to court and Mary de Guise gets there. I need to know who Clarissa is. Francis' twin or maybe just a child Catherine thought died hence why she hates the queen so much? Ahhh this show is killing me. Filling so many voids left by shows I let go of over the winter hiatus.
More+
Flag
You won't want to miss it! I've seen it since I buy it online and let me just say it blew my mind into a billion little pieces and I don't think I'll ever be put back together again LOL. Without being spoilerish, it focuses primarily on Catherine and Henry, Clarissa (!!!) and Nostradamus!!! And you know how awesome these four can be!!! Reign is proving itself to be about more than just the teen triangle.
Flag
Lilly's reviews are just as good as the show is so you are really missing out if you don't watch. So much happens in the hour that she is not able to include everything that happens like the sword fighting between Bash and his new bodyguard and the introduction to Bash's bodyguard Alec at the beginning.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Love, love, love this show!
Doesn't Henri shoot himself in the foot, so to speak, by legitimizing Bash. Mary's whole claim to the English throne is that Elizabeth is a legitimized bastard and not a real heir because of this. If they legitimize Bash doesn't that make Bash and Elizabeth the same and thereby cancel out Mary's claim to England?
Flag
EXACTLY. No one's paying attention to that little detail b/c I guess Mary (minus her mother and mother's advisors) can actually marry whomever she wants? Since she is a Queen in her own right, my guess is that whoever she marries automatically enters the nobility as King of Scotland. So even though Bash would be a "legitimized bastard" in France, he's still a King, a noble with Mary 'the true heir to the English throne' so the Vatican / Pope can overlook him as "irrelevant" ?
Flag
Wow, I am SO caught up in this show and this lovely community!! I just gotta say, I don't plan to watch the new shows (Star-Crossed and The 100), so that Reign gets renewed. Long May It Reign!!!
Flag
frary
Flag
So I watched I, Frankenstein tonight (don't ask) and guess who was playing a gargoyle/soldier-angel? Our very own Kenna. And she actually kicked some ass in it too. Movie totally blows though.

Flag
I watched this episode again online (to tide me over until next Thursday), and I noticed how messy Bash's hair is the whole episode.

I also thought it was interesting how "touchy-feely" Mary and Bash are in this episode (for example: after the assassination attempt, Mary holds her arm out to Bash as he walks down the stairs and then has her arm on his arm as they walk away). I don't recall this happening so much with Francis (I'm not referring to the time that Mary and Francis made out in the forest or when they have kissed--I'm referring to those in between times). Mind you, I'm NOT criticizing Francis for this. This is just an observation, and I could be incorrect. Adelaide K did give an interview (E! Online 12-13-13) and said that Mary and Bash are incredibly comfortable around each other and they have a strong connection. So maybe that's the reason. Again, just an observation. Feel free to disagree.
Flag
No your right Mary and bash are being affectionate in the most sutle way were she never shared such tender moments with Francis.
Flag
Love your reviews! They always make me laugh.

So glad we finally got a Bash centered episode. It just made me adore him and those beautiful eyes even more. But really Bash is just a great stand-up guy. He is so about to get his heart broken because Mary will marry Francis.

As usual Catherine was amazing. Her put downs of Kenna were glorious and so well deserved.

Nice to see the Mary's Ladies in Waiting being useful for once.
Flag
I agree fully god those baby blues make me melt. And the Catherine scenes are always amazing especially with Mary those two always have such explosive moments and it's fantastic.
Flag
Doesn't Mary have maids and servants to help her with her getting dressed, etc? Per Wikipedia, ladies in waiting jobs included secretarial duties, supervision of her servants, keeping her notified of events at court, discreetly relaying messages, etc. That said, does Mary even have any servants, because they haven't shown any on a regular basis since that one got burned to death.
Flag
Amazing recap. I, too, would've bought a lifetime's supply of Queen C's time-ma-cream. Also, how annoyed would the nuns who basically brought Mary up have been at her frankly rubbish midwifery skills? Isn't it delivery 101 to check for haemmorhage, especially if you happen to be in a BLOOD WOOD? *sigh* I missed Clarissa as much as I missed Francis. Gotta love her bold, bag-tacular choices. Makes me hope so hard for a makeover/reveal later (the power of Catherine's cream AND Mary could do wardrobe! Squee!).
Flag
This comment is my favourite- her midwifery skills were crap. Gotta love our girl for trying but she clearly is not meant to nurse or heal anyone.
Flag
Going in a knew that the writers were going to have to give Mary and Bash some alone time to strenghten their relationship otherwise it wouldn'tbe a ligit love triangle, nevertheless the lack of Francis in this episode bugged me.
Francis has very right to be mad at Mary and walk away, but I'm disappointed that he didn't try to stay and fight for her.
As for Mary once again I'm annoyed with her and her obviously fickle feelings. Just eps ago she pledged her undying love for Francis and now it's like Francis who? I would've believed that she could waiver between the two brother like five eps ago, but not after the writers did everything possible to let us see how much she loved and wanted Francis.
As for Catherine if she is to be the mastermind that the show has tried to convince us that she is, then she needs to come up with a better plan or scheme foor next week. She didn't bring her A game this week.
I have to say this was one of my least favorite episodeof the season, but I'm sure that's cause I'm on team Francis, but it was also because I felt like a lot of the characters acted out of character except for Bash.
More+
Flag
"Francis has very right to be mad at Mary and walk away, but I'm disappointed that he didn't try to stay and fight for her."

In all fairness there's not much he can do about it. Once his father was on board (that wasn't a surprise since he doesn't love Francis anyway) he knew it was over. She can only marry a king which (for now) he will no longer be.

I'm very curious though if the writers will address the fact that if the make all of Catherine's children illegitimate the daughter's status changes too. She won't have any type of title. So that means the prince (or was he already king?) of Spain is married to a commoner.
Flag
You Frary fans are tight (and I say that with nothing but love).

One kiss with Bash, and you all think she's forgotten about Francis. She's doing this for Francis, because him being alive (although title-less) is the most important thing in the world to her. So important, that on the slightest chance that a prophecy, coming to her by way of a woman who has done nothing but try to ruin her, might be true, she cooked up this whole crazy plan. That sounds pretty dedicated to me.

Ya she kissed Bash, but it was in a field with all those fall colours, and their matching outfits. Plus those electric eyes staring down at her, not to mention she was probably woozy from the blood loss. :)

Flag
It was a very passionate kiss, too, and then the way that he pulled her closer to him at the very end. Oh, my, my.

I am SO excited to see how this all turns out because on Torrance Coombs facebook page, his neck is in shackles. WHAT? He never wrote what episode it was from, though. :(
Flag
"Ya she kissed Bash, but it was in a field with all those fall colours, and their matching outfits."

This made me laugh so hard I almost choked because I said to my daughter "She's even matching with Bash now?!! No loyalty to Francis whatsoever!!!"
Flag
I like your attitude flintslady! :)
Flag
Staff
You mean Kenna reading a book, don't you? That was def very off character for her, but at least Catherine called her on it!
I too am surprised Francis left the castle but he's always felt constrained & wanted to try out his freedom & that's great...fingers crossed they slip in a scene of him going to a tavern, being treated like anybody else & immediately realizing how much better it was to be a royal...but that's the thing with period dramas, they have to make whole sets and new costumes for extras every time they put a scene outside a natural setting so, maybe we'll get more tangents in season two but I'm not going to expect that from season one. :)
Flag
– How dare you imply Mary is not perfect?! Just kidding Well considering she didn't have like no technology and probably used dirty water I think she did OK
– Bash is kinda ungrateful isn't every bastards dream to be legitimized and be a noble and stopped being referred as "the bastard"?
– Eye creams? mmm I don't wear any but damn I would like to know wich brand the Queen uses.
– Kenna is supposed to be a seductress so probably how to please your man?
– I open my own jars so as long as he cleans after himself and won't be killing any animals, I'm cool with it.
– Can't she end up with both of them?!
Flag
-I think Mary did okay for delivering, too. Remember the time frame, and the fact she's a queen, not a midwife, too.
-I think Bash would have liked being legitimized. It's just the throne he didn't want.
-Kenna MIGHT have been reading the medieval version of Fifty Shades of Grey, maybe. ;)
-I think she should take Francis for her husband and Bash for her manstress, and just be done with it. Have them both! Everyone wins that way!
Flag
Fifty Shades of Grey. Very funny!!!
Flag
Now to answer Lily's questions:
1. I thought Mary did do a good job birthing the baby. She just doesn't know any strategies to help the mother when the bleeding won't stop on it's own.

2. I think Sebastian is 100% justified in his "ungratefulness" (if we can really call it that) at being promoted from "the King's Bastard" (what a title! lol) to "the next King of France." Aside from getting to marry Mary and undo Catherine's blackmail power over his mother, there is nothing else for him to enjoy that he wasn't enjoying already-before his title changed. Only now he's lost the brother he considers a friend, his life and secrets are in danger etc etc.

It will be interesting to see if his view changes though. What if the power goes to his head and he ends up being worse to Mary than Francis ever was? (no say it ain't so!!! :sob:) BUT, if at anytime the writers want to trash Mary and Bash's love story that's all they'd need to do...

3. Cindy Crawford's line 'Meaningful Beauty' has an eye cream that works with long lasting effects and you don't even have to use it daily!

4. I think she was reading "How to Win Back a King" She is not done with Henry.

5. No. No. And No. I would't even deliberately date someone who's faith/values were drastically different from my own. If we fell for each other first but found out later, I guess I'd be tolerant and respectful depending on just how pagan he really is but I wouldn't join in!!! LOL Mary oh Mary a part of me still can't believe you cut yourself for your man! If anything, I would've just pricked my finger :D

6. Conflicted? No. I've loved Bash and Mary best even before they got anything near this kind of screen time. But I do like Frary!!! The writing is just so good that I can and do get into them FULLY when they're "on again" in their relationship! I swoon, I sigh, I wish them the absolute best and was even suspicious of Bash in that one episode when he told Mary who Olivia was. (I thought he was a backstabbing troublemaker and didn't like him at the time, now I see that he was just being loyal to Mary as always even at Francis' expense. Mary had a right to know the truth about the man she was marrying so Bash broke the boy code and gave her a heads up.)

More+
Flag
Hey has anyone noticed that we're #11 yesterday & today on TV.com's list of 'Most Popular Shows' on the homepage! :) Yaaay for us! How nice! It must be all our posting and reading/enjoying each others posts! Btw, a personal thanks from me to everyone here that's posted, whether we agree on things or not. Everyones thoughts and ideas are SO interesting! Fun, funny and just a pleasure to read! Thanks for the entertainment everyone! :D
Flag
Uhh yes, I'd go pagan just to see Francis in the next episode.
Flag
What a complex episode full of beautiful moments of love and care , while moments of assassination plots and choping off horses heads. I loved this episode and might I just say I just about squeeled like a little girl when bash and Mary kissed at the end it was just perfect and not forced or over dramatised. What a great episode and really Bash will make a great husband like he said stupid would have put country and power before her where Bash will not he is ruled by his heart not his head.
Flag
What did the pagans use to cut off the horse's head, a light saber?

Flag
LMAO. You my friend, are a treasure!
Flag
Thank you! And by the way.....poor horse :(
Flag
Also, I've said before that my Reign happy ending is Mary and Bash run off to the colonies or the Caribbean and have a ton a babies and live happily ever after, but… I'll settle for:

The Pope refuses to legitimize Bash and Mary and Francis reconcile and marry. Bash tells Mary, that he is incapable of loving another, yell's deuces to Lola and takes off to some tibetan monastery to reflect on living his life without love.

Two years pass, and word comes (by Sherpa) that Francis has died, and that Mary is being sent home to Scotland. He contemplates staying in the monastery (for like 5 secs) and then rushes to Scotland to be with her, promising to never again leave her side. Throughout her next 2 marriages of convenience not love, Bash is always there as her confident and is the true father of her son James.

After Elizabeth locks her in the tower, she learns of Mary's relationship with Bash and knowing that she (Elizabeth) will never know that kind of love (due to her new found dedication to England) executes a murderess in Mary's place and helps Mary and Bash escape to the colonies or the Caribbean were they have a ton of babies and live happily ever after.

See everybody wins.
More+
Flag
But would that mean we wouldn't get to see Bash for two years?? Oh no!! Maybe instead he goes off to fight in the French Foreign Legion (oops, that was not established until 1831).
Flag
Well, I guess we could periodically check in on him with montages at the monastery. I'm thinking he would write her letters daily, and burn them nightly. Maybe he'd even shave his head. I'd be curious to see what he looks like without that wayward mop of hair :)

Flag
Minus the monastery and carribean stuff, I actually see the show playing out just like this. Bash being the one that Mary loves, but never actually officially being able to be with him but he can never bear to leave her side.
Flag
Interesting! :)
Flag
Perfect I think you should now try to make that happen.
Flag
I like it! :D I have a similar hope / fantasy where Bash is kept around as Mary's side piece ((chuckles)) after Francis dies and she re-marries multiple times :D I also like the bit about him being the true father to her son James though! I'll add that to my fantasy :D
Flag
First of all "cold piece of the week" award goes to Catherine. I can not believe how much I love this woman. I mean I felt bad when she was harassing Mary every second, but Catherine in the tower is on fire!!

Long may she be hold up in the tower, eating tarts, throwing shade and screaming at people to empty her chamber pot.

Now let me tell you why Bash is

A) perfection
B) perfect for Mary
C) perfection

A) He's totally adorbs.

B) Mary goes off on one of her tangents where she needs to let every single thought currently in her head out of her mouth. And Bash just lets her. He doesn't pout, or stomp away or throw down some thinly veiled insult. He calmly makes his point and lets her figure things out on her own. No giant fight, no hurt feelings and then "laying down the law" while running off to sleep with old flames. Francis take note.

C) Did I mention the adorbs?

But I have to admit, as much as I love the Mary/Bash show, the episode did feel weird without Francis.

More+
Flag
I completely agree with everything you wrote. You know what's weird though? I didn't even notice Francis was missing until Mary brought him up to Queen C saying "he left" and then I forgot about him AGAIN until Bash said "I'm not Francis..." at the end of the eppy!

Does this mean I could do without Francis??? Surprisingly, the answer is yes, I think I could. Although the actor is good-looking and has acting chops to boot! So I want the actor around forever. But there's just a little something in the character of Francis that turns me off... Maybe they can do a Man in the Iron Mask type switch in a future season and have the actor play his own twin brother with a more "unspoiled" (for lack of a better word) character? lol (just spit balling here)
Flag
I have to be honest, I've disliked Francis for most of the season. It wasn't till the episode before last, where everyone was planning and scheming around him based on "the prophecy" that I actually started to feel something for him. He had the best lines in that episode. Everyone else was talking about mystical prophecy as if it was scientific fact and he was the only one calling bullshit. #yayFrancis

He is entitled, bossy, self righteous and stubborn, though I guess that's how he was raised to be (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree). But I do believe he really loves Mary and she him. But sometimes with our first love we can be naive, we're so excited about the idea of it that we can make it out to be something more than it is, and I think that's how it is for Mary. She spent all that time in the convent dreaming of the boy she was going to marry and then decided she loved him immediately. He's like a fantasy come true. I'm not saying that their love isn't real, I'm sure it is, I'm just saying it's very different from what Bash and Mary are developing.

I know a lot of Frary people are gonna be mad, but I think with Bash not only is it going to be real, it's going to be strong. He is going to earn it because he loves her, not because he is trying to do what's best for France. He will not push her away in stubbornness or to protect their feelings incase it doesn't work out. He is going to push her in ways that will make her question what she felt for Francis, and what she will feel for him when they get back together.

And I love it!!

More +
Flag
Me too!!! Can't wait!
Flag
Mash kiss = amaze. You can always tell a kiss is good for both parties when they don't even care if they leave Mary's cheek all blood-stained.
Flag
I have to hand it to this show, so far they've managed to create one of the least annoying love triangles I've seen in awhile. Obviously, it's only S1 and things could go horribly wrong down the line, but for now I'm just going to revel in the excruciating (but good) pain that this is causing me.

You mentioned Francis/Mary ultimately ending up together, which I find interesting given how things played out historically in that marriage. I honestly have more hope for Mary/Bash down the line, given that he's made-up and they don't have to adhere to any "facts" of his life/death. You can just throw him into any part of Mary's life!
Flag
Frankly, having babies is really gross (been there!), and I appreciated that Reign at least showed labor and delivery to be slightly more complicated and gross and normal than tv usually does. Congrats, Reign, for being awesome again even in these little details.

I don't think Mary was a bad midwife, I think these things just happen and in olden Froncey days internal bleeding couldn't be stopped.

I like both Francis and Bash and wish Mary would never have to choose! Due to fact that we know she marries Francis in the end, it makes you worry for Bash's fate.
Flag
I agree. There's usually little or no blood or it happens way too fast or the baby looks like it's 3 months old when it's born. Yay Reign!
Flag
Not to bash Bash (lame pun intended), but does anyone else think there's something weird about his appearance? I can't decide if it's his eyes or his stiff hair that looks like it really needs some good conditioning. And don't try and tell me they don't have any in the 1500s. If they have pushup bras they have conditioner.
I'm not saying he's not a great guy, but I find myself trying to figure out what makes him look so strange rather than paying attention to the scene.
Flag
No, I don't see that. I did notice that his hair was messed up at the beginning at the episode like he forgot to fix his hair after he got done sword fighting with Alec.
Flag
I can't get over all the talk about how Bash is so much better than Francis because he's had Mary's back from the beginning and he's so loyal to his family. Francis and Bash had two entirely different upbringings, I think it's unfair to say Bash is a better guy than Francis. Francis has not had the luxury of his mother and father's unconditional love as Bash has. Francis was brought up to put his country first. Not taught to love or even given the chance to live a full life like Bash. Francis had Mary's back when he repeatedly went to his father to get support for her country. He was also willing to deceive his father about Mary's claim to the English thrown. Yes, he was a dick the first couple of days but how would you act if your life was constantly being decided for you? I don't know if I would call Bash loyal to his family since he's been lusting after his brother's woman the entire time. Bash hasn't had to grow up with parents that hate each other or any of the other pressures Francis has had. Francis was thrown to the side in a heartbeat so his father could possibly get his hands on England. While he threatened Bash life I don't really think King Henry would have killed him but he threw Francis aside after very little thought. Francis is a stand up guy. He hasn't said one thing to Henry about the prophecy nor the fact that Mary is no longer a virgin. Dang, y'all act like Francis burns down animal shelters and lights his cigarettes with orphans.
More+
Flag
I love how much you love Francis and despise Bash, really I do. :)

Don't ever change.

P.S. #teamBash4Life
Flag
Don't put words in my mouth. I have never once said I despise Bash. I like Bash. I just don't like him for Mary or I didn't until she completely forgot that her reason for doing all this was because she loved Francis so much and didn't want him to die. Now I think Bash and Mary deserve each other. My problem with Bash is how he completely betrayed his brother that he was loyal to until he fell in love with that same brother's fiance all within having one conversation with her.

Bash has had the privilege of being a dauphin without any of the responsibility. He was only down for Francis because he didn't want anything Francis had until Mary came along. He even threw salt in Francis' game when he told Mary that Francis was heartbroken when Olivia left. Even as a friend that was shady. The convo in the woods should have gone like this:

Bash: I know it was just a few weeks ago that we said we were doing this to save Francis but now I can admit that I did it to have you. You didn't really think our father was going to kill me did you? He loves me more than all the rest of his kids!! Now I have our father's love, his family's money and his woman that I was pining for. His mother will be beheaded so my mom will be happy. And soon I shall have you casting aside your religion for mine. My mother taught me well. Today was good day.

Mary: Francis who?

I feel so bad for Francis. The one person in the castle that was down for him, that really treated him like family, threw him under the bus. Now Francis knows that no one in the castle really cares about him. I hope he's gone from the castle and the only way he'll come back is if they make him. I want him to walk right past his father and Mary like they're engraved tiles on the floor and only talk to Mary when he absolutely has to. I hope that when he becomes king that he not only has a mistress but parades her around court in front of Mary.

I didn't want to watch Lola kiss Francis in the next epi because Mary would feel betrayed. Now I know Mary wouldn't care because she's all but forgotten that a few weeks ago she was so in love with Francis she gave him her virtue. Now she'll just be like girl go ahead he's not even royalty anymore I don't want him.

I started watching this because Francis and Mary's love. It had to go through some things so they could see it could be more than just an alliance. Now I'm #TeamFrancis but just for him. Mary can suck it.

More +
Flag
Regarding Olivia: Bash did hesitate on saying anything at first, but Mary kept bugging him about it. But he kept it simple and told the truth when he could have easily lied. Bash felt loyal to his brother, but the same time he thought that as Francis's fiancée, she should be aware of how serious it was versus just a fling. I would not call it shady telling the truth.

I am kind of wondering if Henry wouldn't have executed Bash. He wanted England pretty bad. The important thing was that Mary believed it and didn't want to take that chance.
Flag
She asked Bash twice. Literally. That's not bugging him. Honestly, I don't care if she asked Bash 1,000 times. His loyalty is to his brother, not Mary. Every time she asked he should have replied, "That is for Francis to tell you.". When you tell your brother's business, while having feelings for his fiance, that is as shady as you can get. Bash wasn't worried about being loyal to his brother, especially when it came to Mary. I guess I feel strongly about this because I would never get with a friend's ex nevertheless a siblings current fiance. That is the lowest of the low.

Henry loves Diane way too much to execute Bash. Who is, by Henry's own account, his favorite child. the king played on Mary being "soft hearted" . Eh, none of it matters now. She threw Francis under the bus supposedly for his own safety but looks like so she could be with Bash without the guilt.
Flag
I almost totally agree with you. I haven't reached the Mary can suck it phase, but I'm dwelling in the Mary is pissing me off with how fickle she is phase.
my complaints with her are:
1.) she had feelings for Francis from the moment she arrived in France, which is why she went looking for him in the first episode and was hurt when she thought that he had someone else in his room. So how can a girl who has wanted a man so badly and then finally gets him and his reciprocating feelings through them away so easily and quickly?
2.) she has always been savy and bold with her decision making but her option 3 to marry Bash to save Bash's life made absolutely no sense

Flag
Wow, I was just trying to be cute. Sorry to offend.
Flag
No offense taken!!! Make no mistake I lOVE this Reign community. I love the discussion and our passion for our OTP. I will never take anything anyone says as more than good natured ribbing. I wasn't being snarky with the first sentence. Finding this community has been the best. No name calling or immaturity. I look forward to our future discussions.

Flag
While, you are definitely right in the facts of what you wrote, when it comes to loyalty and having Mary's back Sebastian still wins out b/c unfortunately at the end of the day it doesn't matter why someone can't be as sincere or loyal or have your back completely. All that matters is to what extent they are actually sincere, loyal etc.

Out of 100, I'd give Francis an 85 when it comes to sweet words and about 70 when it comes to actions. Bash on the other hand though, scores 100 out of 100 when it comes to actions b/c every time he's had the opportunity to make a choice benefitting Mary or someone else (including himself) he's chosen Mary! His words however, are fewer and not as sugary sweet as Francis' so he'd get a lower score there but does it matter? Actions speak louder than words.
Flag
So after reading all of the Francis is a jerk and Bash is a stand up guy posts I thought maybe I missed something, so I went back and watched the first 7-8 episodes again.
Without "Bash-Colored Glasses" I found the following to be true. Sorry it is long!
1. Yes, in the pilot Francis is a jerk when Mary comes to him with the gift for him. But later he says he is sorry and is honest with her that the marriage might not happen and that he thinks they should be careful since they have no control over the situation.
2. In the next episode when Francis sees Simon trying to scare Mary he immediately steps in and pretends that the alliance is stronger than it is to protect her from her English enemies. And after the dress incident he goes to his father and asks him to send Mary somewhere safer and to treat her like a girl in their care not just a political chess piece. Then after Mary says she is sure that Catherine was behind the Colin plot Francis goes to his mom finds out she was behind it and tells her if Mary gets hurt he will blame her and she will lose him.
3. The next episode Scotland needs troops to fight the English. Mary asks Henri for help from France and he turns her down. Francis argues with Henri and even does some "sword fighting" to try and get the troops sent to Scotland. (As a reminder Bash is there for this whole scene and never says one word to try and help Mary's cause). When this doesn't work and Mary lets Francis know she is considering the Tomas marriage option and Francis takes one more shot by basically blackmailing Henri into sending the troops. And where was Bash? He was getting drunk with Kenna and coaching her on how to take his mother's spot as his dad's number one mistress. And in the end when France's troops are lost Francis tells Mary to marry Tomas and do what is right for her country.
4. Next episode, Francis is checking out Tomas and doing all he can to let Tomas know that if he hurts Mary, Francis will come after him and in the end he kills Tomas to save Simon and Mary.
5. In the whole Olivia episode Francis makes some bad choices but so does Mary. But let's remember that when Olivia kissed Francis he broke it off and told her things had changed because he had feelings for Mary now. When they fought over Olivia staying Francis did get kind of high and mighty but just like the pilot episode he immediately felt bad and tried to go find Mary to fix it. Unfortunately that is when he saw Mary and Bash together. After that he left the regret ceremony with Olivia because he was hurt.
We do not know for sure if anything more happened but the opening of the next episode when Olivia says she hasn't seen him and if he wanted uncomplicated to come see her that indicates that it didn't.
In this episode even though he is mad about Bash, and gets madder when the pagans go after Mary because they know it will hurt Bash, he still spends the whole episode trying to protect Mary from the pagans.
And then at the end he does become the big jerk and goes to Olivia. No excuses for that.
But in the next episode he is once again trying to protect Mary offering himself up to the Count with the dead son when Catherine offered Mary. And in the end coming back for Mary.
I know this is long but, even if you are for Bash and Mary, I cannot see how anyone could say that Francis has not had Mary's back. He may have made some bad romantic decisions but even when he was angry at her he fought his mom, his dad and her enemies for her. And then he even decided to forget about his country and pledge his alliance to her even if it meant to defy his father and Rome.

More +
Flag
This is my point exactly. Francis has risked just as much as, if not more than, Bash. When he offered himself to the Count Vincent he knew that he was signing his death warrant but he would never let anything happen to Mary. He came back for her, without knowing about the poison gold, to face ten men on his own. I think that is the very definition of having her back.
Flag
Amen, Hallelujah! Well said!!!
Flag
I also loved how Diane sent a bodyguard to protect Bash. He can also teach Bash a few things about sword fighting, too.

I also love how Mary is advising and teaching Bash about how to be a good ruler. They have such good teamwork!
Flag
I'm a supporter of Bash. From the pilot Bash has helped Mary, repeatedly put himself in danger for her, despite knowing he will never have her. Francis has his moments, but he also can act like a selfish brat.

Examples:
1) In the pilot Mary shows up with a present for him he acts like a d*ck, because he just finished diddling some random girl.

2) When Mary airs her VERY justified concerns about Olivia, and Francis decides to get snide and say how what he says goes and he might just make Olivia his mistress.

3)He gets pissy with Mary after she gets drunk (because of his d*shish behavior) and does the same thing he had done with Olivia. Except of course that he wasn't drunk, or upset over something Mary had done.

4) His idea of a "fair solution" is a mutual agreement that he can screw any woman he wants, and Mary can...what exactly? Hang out with other men? Except for Bash, because Francis says so! Oh and he just throws it out there that he could have Bash killed some day. He's just saying.

More+
Flag
Francis also told Bash that he thought that if Bash would have been killed in the forest, that Bash would have deserved it. That's cold AND heartbreaking. Francis was so concerned about Bash when he was wounded (very touching) and then he says something like that. That's not good.
Flag
THANK YOU. I don't hate Francis by any means, but pretty much his whole behavior when Olivia was around was disgusting, and I was kind of surprised not to see a lot of other people call him on it.
Flag
Uhm last weeks episode made me so mad when Mary was comparing giving up a guy she'd liked on-and-off for a couple months to Catherine giving up her status, her lifestyle, her husband, her children's birthrights and then going to jail over it. Now Mary is just being mean, IDK why SHE has so much power in the French court when she's engaged to a man that hasn't even been legitimized but WHATEVER. Now whenever I see Catherine & Mary together, i just feel like Catherine's more in the right...i still love Mary, just not when it comes to her vs catherine.
Flag
Mary had the power this episode because of working with Henry. Catherine being in a jail and Henry being away means the power had to go somewhere. Bash was the regent so it went to him, but her being a Queen and his fiancée meant that she pretty much could do what she wanted since Bash would always back her.
Flag
Staff
I feel sympathetic for Catherine as well, Mary managed to really spin giving Francis up in her favor and she was cruel to Catherine, of course given that Catherine has tried to have her murdered and raped twice now perhaps she's just done turning the other cheek. As to why Mary can suddenly have such precedence over Catherine, its because Henry has repudiated her. All the power always resides with the man, and now Henry needs Mary's Scottish forces to invade England and is fed up with Catherine, so that's why she's running around telling the servants to skedaddle. But yeah I totally feel you on a sympathy for Catherine despite all her scheming.
Flag
Mary is a Queen, too, and if King Henry had been there, I'm sure he would have done the same thing as Mary did.
Flag
I love Bash and Francis. At least all three characters in this love triangle are likable. There is no I murder people but love me anyways, I'm going to steal my brother's girlfriend garbage. All three are strong enough to stand on their own and I love it.
Flag
Staff
That's very true. Love triangles can make the mistake of having the guys be complete opposites and thereby reducing them to tropes. Reign tries very hard to flesh out three dimensional personalities to fall in love with.
Flag
1. Looks like the writers decided that Mary shouldn't be the only well dressed woman in the show. "Sacrifice" featured a few really nice dresses.

The best gowns of the episode are:

1. Lola's grey-red dress.
2. Mary's red dress
3. Greer's green dress
4. Mary's black dress
5. Catherine's red dress

2. Lola, who are you?! You've suddenly grown ovaries of a size of ostrich eggs! I still remember that you defended your rapist boyfriend - but you gained my respect for standing up to Catherine

Mary's friends:

Aylee - spy (I miss you so much!)
Greer - forger
Keena - seductress
Lola - badass

3. If Mary ever decides that she doesn't want to be Queen of Scotland anymore - she can become Mary the Midwife. She will travel around the world and observe mothers dying in childbirth.

4. The biggest ROTFL moment of the series yet:

Mary's friends are dressing Isobel.

Greer: It's alright Isobel. We do this daily for Mary.

WHAT?!! Have you ever seen Mary's friends actually doing their job as Ladies in Waiting? I haven't. Greer you filthy liar!!!

5. Mary essentially stands before Sophia's choice:

Francis = Safe Scotland, Good King, Good Sex

Bash = Undying Loyalty, Poor King, probably Great, Mind Blowing Sex

6. Pagans! You have to love them!

7. Speaking of Pagans - who in Catherine's eyes is worst Pagans or Huguenots? Also I want Reign sequel focusing on Catherine and St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre. That would be fantastic! (yes, La Reine Margot is one of my favorite movies of all time - Isabelle Adjani is divine)

Thanks for a great review, Lily!
More+
Flag
A lot of what the guys wear are pretty awesome, too. I like Bash's outfit in this episode. He looks very royal.
Flag
Bash = Undying Loyalty, Poor King, probably Great, Mind Blowing Sex

God yes!! Watch yourself Mary, cause once you go Bash… amirite ladies ?!
(I'm totally right)

Speaking of Hueguenots, I'm starting to wonder if they are behind the "beast" in the blood wood. Makes sense to stir up the pagans, and cause some havoc in the court.
Flag
Lily! If you love Reign, which you do (as I do) you will probably love "Isabel". It's a Spanish series about Queen Isabella the Catholic, and it starts off when she is 17 and she is about to marry Ferdinand. It is VERY entertaining, although it doesn't have that CW thing that makes us love Reign, and Isabel is, well, historically accurate (as in 100% accurate, they took a lot of care). Take a look and find the seasons somewhere!

http://corleonesandlannisters.com/2013/10/12/isabel-the-spanish-series-you-should-be-watching/

To be fair, I like the costumes in Isabel, but the dresses in Reign are one of the best things! I wish I could have them all!!
Flag
Staff
Thank you for the recommend! I always want to get my 15th-17th centuries ON.
Flag
People compare these dresses to prom dresses. I WISH my prom dresses looked that awesome!
Flag
Staff
the are like, ideal world money-no-object prom dresses...I think the thought is they are very contemporary vs. period accurate, but clothes of the period were sort of a nightmare and insomuch as conveying a sense of glamour, stylishness & wealth I think the costumes do a nice job of translating period clothes into more accessible styles to watch on TV. I'm always fascinated by the dresses particularly Mary & Kenna.
Flag
Staff
Someone tweeted at me that Kenna was reading 50 Shades of Gray and I'm still chuckling about it, wish I'd thought of that one.
Flag
I am hardcore Frary, I have even made fanvids!!!! So the fact that Francis wasnt even in this episode or that the whole Mash of it all, made my blood boil!!!!! I was beyond angry and will leave this episode as the worst.
But I am not a mean person so congratz to all the Mash shippers, it was a good episode for you!!!!

So for a momemt I almost forgot that I hated Kenna and Lola with firery passion. I mean I love Greer and I was indifferent to Aylee despite her amazing side braids, but Kenna and Lola know what they did to piss me off. Kenna being a shelfish little twat and Lola for everything already said in Lily's review.

I love Catherine, she is fantastic!!! Any interaction betwenn her and Mary is outstanding!!!! Loved the episode, but please tell me Francis will be back next week or I will flip a table!!!!

Flag
Isobel died of a Postpartum Heamorhage which is still one of the leading causes of death for the mother during childbirth, especially in 3rd world countries, let alone 500 years ago. Yeah there are simple techniques that could have prevented it without modern intervention, but having that knowledge I suppose would also be considered a modern conveinece.
Flag
I would think so. He's one of the main characters. Besides, I'm interested to see how he is coping. He now has more time to work on his knives and swords though.
Flag
i think was meant for my other comment but yeah seeing him letting go would be fun.
Flag
Your review is actually 100 times more entertaining than the show! That would not be hard though...
Flag
Forgot to answer the Bash promoted question. He's not ungrateful it's just not the reason he's doing it. I think Mary would basically rule cuz Bash not that into it.

Flag
First of all finally the ladies in waiting were united, useful & Kenna had a brilliant idea (still can't get over that one) I laughed aloud when they said they do it all the time for Mary (when they were dressing Isobel) hahaah we have never seen them do their job before. Also the banquet in honor of Bash was a stroke of evil genius.

I am thinking that the traitor thing will come out, & that is why Bash & Mary will not get married after all, now who she will be in love with at the time is another thing.

I got angry with Mary's I am catholic so I'm better than you schtick but luckily she got over it.

Katherina as always a delight, The eye cream thing, giggling just writing about it. And when she said to Kenna don't go away abusing you is my only amusement.

Yes I agree we see the "opposites" of the brothers priorities & Bash even says it, that he would do it for her not France. But Francis in the end said he would of stood by her too so.... Ahhhh two great princes for Mary.

- Mary had seen nuns birthing not done it before so give her some slack, but in those times mothers dying of child birth was quite common so...
- Skin Activator
- Kenna was reading "How to get rid of previous queens & mistresses & become the next Queen of Fronce.
- I don't change for anyone so no pagan, but sure he can be pagan if he wants.
- I am Frary all the way, but come on you got to see Bash good points & beautiful peepers

More+
Flag
Come on, Lola was a little bad ass in this episode! Her telling Catherine 'what's what' was awesome. I know sticking up for attempted rapist boyfriend brings her stock down but - it was rising some and she had our girl's back with Catherine. She got a fist bump from me. I think Greer is my favorite though, I don't care what her family wants, her no-no-no relationship with the cook is charming. We do need 1 hour with Mary and Catherine locked in the same room though. Nothing is better than watching this fresh face throwing the smack down on the force of nature veteran. My goodness, Megan Follows was Jo's cousin Terry on 'Facts of Life', holy sh!t. That is a long career and it took this long to find THE role. They better f'in give her a nomination this year.

Oh show - why are you being so difficult in making 'Bash' so goddamn wonderful. This is the CW. Both choices aren't supposed to be so decent. Loving the flipping the bird to history! Its audacity is making me miss 'The Borgias' a little less.

Pretty soon one of the EP (Brad Silberling)' s pretty famous wives is going to be taking on the role of Mary's mother. Anxious to see what Amy Brenneman brings to the table. It sounds like nepotism made in heaven.

Hands clapping over another great episode. Still feeling dumb for getting to this party so late. I should have realized that this show has enough women behind it that it wouldn't suck. Throwing out history and just going for it is bold and its awesome and I hope this show gets renewed.
More+
Flag
I have to admit I have been rooting for Bash all along. Bash is loyal to his family and obviously had feelings for Mary but did not want to be a rival to his younger brother. Francis is weak, he hates his parents but rarely stands up to them. Even when he told Katherine to leave Mary alone, he knows it won't stop Katherine's plots. Bash never wanted his brother's heir apparent crown, but he would make a stronger king, even though, he is a lousy small claims court judge and a terrible liar. Apparently the prerequisite of rulers are the ability to lie, plot, and see through lies and plots.
Flag
Reign is like supper and your reviews are like dessert, Lily. And I am talking big decadent dessert, not just fruit. Love it!
Flag
I agree. Some other reviewers are actually painful to read, (Supernatural for example) they don't get the show. Lily gets this show totally!!
Flag
From what I could tell, Mary's mistake was not clamping the cord off at both ends before cutting it. Or she could have asked Isobel to stimulate her nipples to release oxytocin which may help contract the uterus and stop further bleeding.

Flag
Staff
whuuuuuuuuuuuut.
Flag
Actually, the placenta comes out shortly after birth, so it really is a non-issue. Mary also could have massaged her stomach to help the uterus contract which would stop the bleeding. Most times the body does this on their own, but not always. Oxytocin also helps start milk production.
Flag
I have a question, what happens when Bash realizes that Mary isn't a virgin?
Flag
I don't think it will matter. Bash is loyal to Mary so even if she had a child that was Francis' I think he'd keep her secret. It's more dangerous re: what Francis or Catherine would do re: Mary's broken virtue lol
Flag
yes, he's loyal, but he's a man and man in love actually.. don't know..
Flag
From the bottom of my heart, thank you Lily for this awesome review. I was having a crappy day until I read this, and then you made me smile. Loved the bits with the roach song, the "They banged", and the rudeness of bleeding on a grave twice. Never ever stop writing Lily. Long may YOU Reign!
Flag
I agree Lily must Reign
Flag
Staff
Aw thank you!
Flag
Great review and assessment of Bash's character, etc.!!
Flag
Loved LOVED loved your review, Lily. I had no idea you did Reign as well - I'll be chechink them out for sure in the future :)
As always - you had me laughing out loud, your writing is so entertaining.
I agree re: Bash with you; his willingness to put Mary before crown and country is very very heartwarming. I've never really seen the appeal of Francis myself, but up until "The Sacrifice" I figured I'm uspposed to root for him since nothing much was happening with Bash in terms of revealing who he really is.
We had learned he disapproved of his mother's attempt to legitimize him (which I admired because he's not some cunning hypocrite who only pretended to care for his brother) and that he has some "colorful" background. I liked him. He seemed solid and honest. Now I like him even more.
I'm also a big fan of the fact that he's not drawn to power - I'm with Lord Acton on this one: "power corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely". I'm glad to see a man in the fictional 16th hundreds French court agree.

So, I'm team Bash - I think he allows Mary to be herself and discover things about herself she was never aware of.
Plus, didn't the real Henry die one year into his marriage with Mary Stuart?!
More+
Flag
I also admire him because he feels bad about what this did to Francis.

Flag
I you meant to say the real Francis? I heard the same so I think this inversion is a really great plot twist to keep Toby Regbo (sp?) on our screens for a longer time. He's an EXCELLENT actor! I don't really want them to kill him off, even after he marries Mary.
Flag
Francis died 2 years into his marriage and one year into his reign.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members