A Reign Community
Friday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning February 10, 2017)

Reign S01E17: "Liege Lord"

One of the many reasons I adore Reign is episodes like “Liege Lord,” which took a break from teen romance to focus on a plot steeped in Tudor politics and nuanced statecraft. While the show makes savvy concessions to the tastes of its demographic—the covetable dresses, the cute boys, the contemporary music—it admirably never talks down to its audience. It assumes we’ll keep up and stay invested and know enough history to appreciate the ramifications of the schism between Catholics and Protestants in the 16th century, and yo, I'm on it. I lapped up Wolf Hall like a body shot off Kellan Lutz's abs and I happily scarfed up this episode as well. SCOTS AND FREEDOM AND SCOTTISH ACCENTS!!!!

On top of ALLLL that, Mary’s character development this episode, her avowal that she would always choose Scotland over Francis, it was enough to make me curtsey to my television like a Proud Fronch Prince.  I wish more shows were like this, especially shows for teens. I wish more dramas gave our heroines stuff this cool to worry about and engage in, besides just making them wallow in boys and inner turmoil. Mary spent the episode juggling national intrigue, sovereignty, and sex spies. So many people were doing sexy stuff to get information! Sometimes it takes a Mata Hari to uncover a hairy matter. Forgive me for that wordplay.

We opened on Kenna and Bash in their first scene as a married couple, and while they both were very busy openly listing each other’s shortcomings, at least they’re being open. I actually really liked their dynamic: honest, candid, and infused with a begrudging respect.

Lola is trying to get her own loveless marriage all sewn up, and she has her sights set on Lord Julian. But just when it was looking likely that she could tip him from skating instructor to wifey-maker, he told her he intended to never, ever have children. BWURP. Two of his wives had died in childbirth, so no, he was never going to have kids ever. And then immediately after throwing that heavy stack of baggage at her, he announced to the room they were getting married! How is Lola going to get out of this one? She is literally 45 minutes from having a baby bump!

Across the room, a cheeky sex spy (part of an elite group of ladies who have affairs with powerful men to relay information to the Queen of Fronce; they're called “The Flying Squad” because “Hoez Who Knowz” was deemed too obvious) dumped half a goblet of wine down Mary’s exceedingly fine frock, and then gave her even more bad news: She needed help getting out of the country. Surprisingly, instead of immediately agreeing, Mary asked what was in it for her—a small but very telling character detail. Mary isn't so eager to reach out and help these serving ladies anymore.

The Captain of the Flying Squad/Red Baron of Giddyup Times explained that Mary’s extremely long marriage contract had a super secret clause that gave Scotland to Fronce if Mary died before a male baby was born. That made Mary’s throne about as secure as a seat on Mr. Bonestripper from Nothing But Trouble. And court has perhaps never been more volatile than now, with King Henry coming down with that bad case of Homicidal Mania; he's shacked up with Bean Queen and seeing handsome tennis players where no tennis players actually be. 

Mary sent Kenna into Henry’s chambers to snap up the marriage contract, Kenna protested that she was trying to give the whole “married to Bash” thing a good 24 hours before she stomped it to pieces, and Mary was like, “I’m not going to tell you that you have to. I’m just going to say the entire fate of our country rests on whether or not you do this.” So Kenna, being a patriotic Scot at heart even if she has an English accent, pulled some sex-spy moves and shimmied into Henry’s chambers. Unfortunately, he popped up with crazy eyes and wandering fingers. Poor Kenna!

Alas, Kenna’s perhaps wholesale destruction of her marriage was for naught: The contract was an unsigned copy. So Mary decided to go with Plan B: telling Scottish Protestants that her mother had sold her out in such a way that Mary de Guise was forced to contradict such accusations and burn her copy of the contract. Complicated? Edging very close to Scottish civil war? Possibly. But for a first brainstorm I was very impressed. Not to mention her plan involved inviting guys with actual Scottish accents to the castle! And... Scottish dance moves!

I have not spent years in Scotland, just weeks, but I can still say with complete authority that it is the most fun country on the planet. Somehow every person I came across in Scotland was a perfect candidate for Lifetime Best Friend, and every place I visited was made out of literal magic. I dream perpetually of moving there and appreciating the culture on a full-time basis. And these characters totally reflected that! From Mary’s dad’s battle buddy to the suave Scottish charmer who immediately started wooing Catherine. 

Catherine deserved a little me-time/naughty maid role-playing fantasy after all her weeks cleaning up Henry’s bodies and getting bossed around by the Bean Queen. I loved her escapade with this smitten Scot. And when Mary got her father’s old battle buddy away from the dance floor and gave him the rundown about how they may take our lives but they will NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM I got chills. The Scottish warriors could only bow before her line delivery and epic tartan evening gown.

Frances was looking at Mary like she was the 16th century Beyonce. He was beyond impressed. But just when it looked like maybe everything was going to work out like Walker’s shortbread, the Scots took a last-minute detour to a brothel and got totally slain by Les Assassins Royales. (They would have probably died of syphilis anyway, don’t feel too bad.)

Adding real-life insult to fictious injury, before the slaying started we saw one of them endure a fate worse than death: a face massage via foot! Don’t tell me extras don’t have it hard. 

Catherine’s sweet fling had let slip Mary’s daring gambit to secure her throne, and it cost Mary 12 countrymen. It also cost Catherine a cheek’s worth of foundation. 

It was very hard to see this death-knell of the Catherine/Mary truce. But while Mary looked furious, she seemed in no way surprised. Mary dropped the hammer: She would trigger word of King Henry’s madness to spread worldwide if Catherine did not burn the marriage contract. She swore she would see the Valoir dynasty trampled like so many grapes at a winery, and Francis too, who cares! She is Mary, Queen of Scots not Mary, Queen of Thots.

Speaking of thots, poor Bash had to listen to his dad talk about his own sweet fling with Bash’s newlywed wife, vividly describing Kenna’s rump in terms Keats might have rejected as “too lyrical.” Luckily he heard Kenna out about it and she explained she hadn’t had sex with his dad again. She was just doing spy work, like you do, which seemed to also impress him. The guys on this show are continually impressed by the women showing strength and character, and I love it.

Lola also revealed to Lord Julian that she was carrying an anonymous man’s baby, and he was like, “Phew! Now I don’t feel so bad about my ridiculously heinous past.” And she was like, “What do you—" and he was like, “Shhhhhhhhh, let us make the foundation of our lives out of secrets, ma cherie.” Now, I see it as a GIANT red flag that Lord Julian’s past was so troublesome that he WELCOMED the thought of Lola carrying a mystery baby. But that’s what keeps this show exciting. Is he a brutal sadist and lady-killer? Lola will have to wait to find out! Still, Lola continues to gain nanometers of credibility with me by at least being “annoyingly direct” with Julian. And if Julian secretly regretted breaking faith with Greer in favor of a woman carrying a baby whose father she refused to reveal, he certainly kept it politely to himself.

So, two huge emotional developments at the end of the episode: Bash came to the rescue of Kenna, who was sitting around in court in what looked like a negligee I need to buy. He totally saved her! Guys I am on board with Benna.

And Mary totally existentially dissed her husband by letting him know she HAD sent out three riders with news of Henry’s madness. Her threat to topple the King of Fronce had been real, and she would have enacted it no matter what it cost Francis. Of course, if she was really slick she would have just told him the riders were a bluff. Mary is learning to be hard without being duplicitous, and the transformation is fascinating. Can she be a strong Queen without turning into Catherine ? The way this show is organically growing her as a character, I have no doubt we’ll see every step of that struggle.

QUESTIONS:

... Tennis guy: What is his deal?

... Kenna and Bash have a surprising amount of chemistry, just me? Is anyone else already rooting for them to fall in love or at least be a ride-or-die power couple whose relationship is so true it almost TRANSCENDS romance?

... Were you relieved that Lola revealed her pregnancy to Julian?

... Should feet be left as far out of sex play as humanly possible or... ?

... Have you ever used physical intimacy/your tootsies to gain crucial state secrets?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 2/17/2017

Season 4 : Episode 2

Next Episode

AIRS ON 2/24/2017

Season 4 : Episode 3

93 Comments
Comments (93)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
For the past 2 months now I have been looking for good and genius spell to bring back my husband and also help me to win lottery. and it has been a hard time for me finding the right place until I get in contact with Dr Momodu who gave me powerful spell and assured me that it will take 2 to 3 days before the spell will be effective, truly 3 days later, my husband rang me, i answered the call, he started apologizing, we are together Now. Thank you for making my husband to know that we are met to be together and also making my dreams come true. And he did a spell that make me to win lottery. Please if any body needs LOVE SPELL,LOTTERY,PREGNANCY SPELL, DIVORCE SPELL, GET YOUR PARTNER. BACK AND MANY MORE YOU MAKE NEED. Email him now for your own help. drmomoduspelltemple@yahoo.com OR drmomoduspelltemple@hotmail.com DR. Momodu for the excessive work that he has done for me. his Via web sit: http://drmomoduspelltempl.wix.com/http
Flag

My name is Carol williams, i live and work in Oxford shire, UK. My life is back!!! After 2 years of Broken marriage, my husband left me with two kids, I felt like ending it all, i almost committed suicide because he left us with nothing, i was emotionally down all this while. Thanks to a spell caster called Dr. oyinbo the spell caster which i met online. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet, I came across several of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and also spell to get a good paid job so on. He is amazing, i also come across one particular testimony, it was about a woman called Vera, she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 2 days, and at the end of her testimony she dropped his email.After reading all these, I decided to give it a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 48hours, my husband came back to me. We resolved our issues, and we are even happier than ever.Dr.oyinbo you are a gifted man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man. If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster, Try him anytime, he is the answer to your problems. you can contact him on ( prophetoyinbojesus@yahoo.com or prophetoyinbojesus@yahoo.com) or call him +2348074066640. he is the best caster that can help you with your problems.
More+
Flag
I'm madly catching up because I'm weeks behind, but I paused with two weeks of episodes to go to read some recaps. BOY this show went mental and I LOVE IT! The mad king is brilliant (does remind me of some Targaryen...and I'm always surprised when nice things happen on this show to nice people, GoT has been rotting my brain so this is a nice reprieve!)

Julian is hot, I'm sure he has a past but this is as good as it's going to get for Lola at the moment. Man I loved the Mary Queen of the Scots moment, so fleeting, but I know that we should see more of it now. I love it when Mary is strong and defends her country. Personally I like that she told Francis that she sent actual riders out in the morning, sometimes I think he still sees Scotland as a joke as this far of country that his bride is from. She has shown him that it is HER country and when it comes down to is, she will always protect her people and her country. Go Mary.

So I am loving Kenna and Bash, I've actually wanted them to get together ever since they had that drunk chat back in one of the first few episodes, on the balcony while some festival was going on. So I'm suuuuuper pleased that they're hitched.

More more more! So good!!
More+
Flag
I was totally, completely, 100% against Bash and Kenna but this episode changed my mind. They were great together! Not that it will require a romance in the end, at least I hope they grow an interesting friendship. They both desperately need someone on their side.

Haha with Lola. The dude is going to be horrible, can't wait to see. Greer is so much better off with Lord Pepper.

Mary impressed me this episode. It's not just Miss Frown now, she actually made things happen and totally showed Francis who's the boss in the relationship.
Flag
I just saw a spoiler of the new episode that aired in Canada tonight but I won't post it. If you think that Mary is the boss in this relationship, wait until you see this latest episode! I think they take turns! lol
Flag
#KENNASH
Flag
If a marriage isn't consummated, it could be annulled. Even in 1557, right?
I'm pretty sure Bash & Kenna never consummated....
And where the eff is Diane de Portiers?? She should be there to calm Henry down!
Flag
Can someone please gif Catherine's "You're outrageous!"?
That is all.
Flag
Remember Nostradamus' predictions for Mary and her ladies earlier in the season? I just ran across this on Tumblr and had totally forgotten about this. Nostradamus said to Lola "You'll meet a dark, handsome stranger. Be wary of flattery." I can understand Lord Julian not wanting to marry Greer any longer because the servant and his men witnessed her kissing Leith. It's very strange though that he was pretty eager to propose to Lola and announce it on the spot like that after dropping that bombshell on her about not wanting kids. Then he still wants go through with the wedding after learning she's pregnant. Wonder what secrets he's hiding. Should be pretty interesting.
Flag
Bash = Master of Two Amusing Things. Great title. Methinks the king should have given him at least a horse and a piece of land for hunting to justify Bash's title... Another good title for him woukd be "Master Friend Zone."
Flag
Reign is really just a show about two powerful women who are trying to do the best thing for their countries. I am loving the back and forth between Mary and Catherine on a weekly basis and love that the writers have given their characters, particularly Catherine such depth. She's not written as the one-dimensional evil queen/villain we often see and Francis could not be more wrong when he said something along the lines of 'in France the Queen is just the person who sits beside the King'.

Other thoughts: it was great to hear some Scottish accents and see some kilts this week! I also thought that Catherine's suitor was just pretending that he didn't know that she was the Queen of France but as it turned out he was just naive/stupid. Lola should just be grateful that Julien still wants to marry her and forget all about his definitely shady past.

Great recap as usual Lily, I think you had some great screen shots this week with Bash's intense eyes and the horrible foot/face scene which made me laugh and cringe at the latter
Flag
Ok so Lord Julian is reaaaally suspicious! right?!
Basha and Kenna are kinda cute but it must be awfully awkward between them I mean she slept with daddy dearest
I like how regal Mary behaved in this episode she was awesomeee
I still love Catherine even if her plan failed, btw I loved her comment about the bean queen's head
I guess some people are really into feets
And come one being a sexy spy is my dreaaaam
Flag
Thanks a lot for another hillarious review ! I just love it !

Just a thought regarding "the tennis guy", I don't know if someone already mentionned it (havn't read the 71 commentaries yet, but I will), but Henri older brother, who was inniatially the Dauphin of France, died falling hill right after drinking a glass of water during a game of "jeu de Paume", which happen to use tennis like rakets at the time.
One of the theorie regarding his death was that the Medicis family poison his water so he'd die and Henri, who was already married to Catherine, would get on the throne.
Regarding all those historically accurate informations, I am pretty sure Henri is actually haunted by his late bro...
Flag
I thought tennis guy was supposed to be young King Henry... It's would be much simpler if if 20 year old Henry would have been in neon pants. How are we supposed to know about a time difference, if fashion has only changed two fifths of an inch off the puffy sleeves in that time.
Flag
Please excuse the excessive use of caps lock and acronyms in the following post but there is no other way to say it than:

OMG, I LOVED Mary in this episode. LOVED her! (Love you, Mary! My Queen!)

I liked her well enough before this episode but she certainly wasn't my favourite character. Here, she was just so badass and hardcore and her priorities so completely right. After all the preoccupation with France in recent episodes, it was nice to have her all about Scotland. And to think - the difficulties in their marriage may stem from the fact that France is Francis' priority and Scotland is Mary's. In what other show is that a thing!? What an excellent point of conflict. Amazing.

Catherine gave me rage. I'd been lulled into warmth towards her because she's so entertaining and fabulous so it was good to get the reminder that she's also kind of awful. Yet she was doing for her country, which is completely consistent with her character. Hugely appreciated the slap Mary gave her.

I hope Bash and Kenna become a bit of a power couple. I've typically been a Kenna defender but she did annoy me in the opening scene, mostly because I adore Bash. He's such a great guy but seems that Kenna is beginning to see that, so thumbs up for her. And I hugely empathised with her towards the end when we saw how difficult it was for her to be married to somebody that was in love with Mary. The whole 'you'll never be that Knight for me'. Aww, is that what you wanted Kenna? Guys, she's more romantic than we realised. Still happy Bash got to point out that marrying his father's mistress has never been his dream though.

Lord Julian.. I really want to know what his deal is. Bet Greer kissing the Kitchen Boy doesn't seem so bad to him anymore. Yay for shady, ominious secrets!

If Penelope died now, that would be okay.

Long post. In summary: OMG, I LOVE YOU MARY.

More+
Flag
The scene with Mary and the Scottish men gave me goose bumps. I had to rewind it. Plus loved the look on Francis' face. He seems to almost always get turned on when Mary shows strength and power.
As a Frary fan I was annoyed that they had to put in that last scene. Clearly that is the first step to building a wedge between Mary and Francis. Really...the really couldn't give us even one episode of them working together showing how good they are together without already setting things in motion to break them up? Gheesh man!! ugh!

However, I loved that Mary slapped Catherine. Definitely makes the top three bestest moments ever on Reign.
I can't wait to see how much of a disaster Lola and her new husband's marriage will have, cause obviously that's coming.
Flag
I loved this episode and I loved the tension between Mary and Francis. I love Fray and I have since the beginning but when the show started I said the real interesting triangle is Mary/Francis/France/Scotland.

Early on Francis expected and encouraged Mary to put Scotland first. I was disappointed when she ran away(partly) because she wasn't. This showed real growth for Mary and her maturation as Queen.

Now show me Francis putting France first. We need to see and understand this as an audience. He may love her but he should love France more.

Again, why I never swooned when Bash was putting Mary first all the time- Bash doesn't know the burden of duty. Both Francis and Mary do- at times it will push them together, this mutual understanding. Other times it will pull them apart.

On another note, Catherine was magnificent again. I love Reign writers for showing us strong female leaders.
Flag
Totally agree with you about the last scene. However, I much prefer this triangle ---Mary/Francis - Scotland - England --- to the old one.

I'm starting to like Bash's character again. His old spunk is back and I enjoyed his scenes with Kenna this week.
Flag
I love this comment so hard! As I said before, the push pull of duty between Francis and Mary is everything. Love them so much. Loved Mary in this episode and I was glad she laid her cards on the table with Francis.
Flag
Thanks! I totally agree with your entire post above! :)
Flag
Guys read a book. Tennis guy is King henry's older brother Francis III who died after playing a game of tennis. I mean he got the flu from playing tennis & died a week later, but w/e.
Flag
I really thought that the short hiatus last week would break my Reign obsession. I was so so wrong! This episode reminded me about why I fell in LOVE with this show in the first place - the intelligent, strong and absolutely kick-ass female characters!

First the fluff. Penelope needs to go - she is boring and uninteresting. Where did Greer disappear after that one scene? Please tell me she had a secret rendezvous with Leith! Also, isn't it a little early in the relationship for Nostradamus and Olivia to go on a vacation together? Take the girl on a proper date first - and no, washing her hair does not count as a date. Can we have a show on the escapades/sexcapades of the Flying Squad along the lines of Charlie's Angels?

I like that they de-emphasized the clothes this episode. I did love the first first gown Mary wore and the gorge necklace she paired with her tartan dress. I've come to realize I prefer Catherine's hair down/tousled; it suits her much more. What were Penelope and Kenna hiding in their sleeves? Medieval S&M props? A snack perhaps?

Now for the good stuff...Alan van Sprang was amazing as Henry this week! And from the looks of the promo for next week, he is going to be even better in the next episode. Henry is a little too pervy for me at this stage, but Alan is really killing it! The tennis guy (my theory: Henry's older brother) is super cute. I want to see more of him!

The reason this week was so perfect was that the women really ran the show. None of the female characters for a second took on a "woe is me" or "I need to be rescued" stance ANDDDD the male characters loved/admired/fell for this very strength in the women. I love that this show respects its audience enough that the women on this show are neither secondary nor hopelessly hung up on the men!

I'm glad that Lola told Julian the truth. Her courage in doing so was wonderful. I am a little weary of Julian's past, but I loved that Julian appreciated and respected her being direct with him instead of coy and deceitful. I sincerely hope they don't put him on the crazy or the evil bus. He is too cute for that!

I also liked the Kenna and Bash interaction. Though she lamented that he will never be her "knight", she never asks him for help and instead tries to deal with her problems herself. His coming to her help in the end seemed to be because of the respect he has for her. And the good thing is Bash respects Kenna because she stepped up to the plate for her country and her queen, and not just because she is beautiful or a damsel in distress. I love that even in such a flawed relationship, the writer's have included something admirable and true to the show overall.

This week completely and totally belonged to the 2 QUEENS - in their personal lives and in the politics of the court. LOVED that Catherine is running the show at Court, and holding this together so well. Megan Follows' expression in the party scene - from sticking it to Penelope to being amused and excited by Liam's flirtations - was so perfect! She totally rocked that scene! I just wanted to scream "Get it Catherine!" The woman really needed to unwind after the last couple of weeks! Although I am a huge fan of the Catherine-Henry chemistry and want them together again, I think it is perfect that Catherine hooked up with Liam, especially so soon after rejecting Henry's advances. That's the brilliance of this show! If she had stayed with Henry, she would have just been another notch on his belt because he does not truly value or respect her. Liam, on the other hand, fell for all her strengths - because she was strong, saucy, and "the most intriguing woman" he had met in France. He truly appreciated her and so he was more worthy than Henry of Catherine's favor. I was kinda hoping Henry would see Liam flirting with her, and get a little jealous and possessive so that we can have some Henry-Catherine scenes. But I loved this nevertheless!

I really thought Lily would comment on the magnificence of the post-coital scene between Catherine and Liam. Not only did Megan Follows look STUNNING in that scene, it also contained some of the most amusing moments of the episode - the flash of leg to "the queen is quite satisfied" and the best "you've shown your willingness to serve me quite sufficiently this past hour." LOVED IT! Even better though, was how quickly Catherine's put on her business face when she heard about Mary's meeting.

The mixture of relief and remorse on Catherine's face when she heard that the men had been killed was so good, particularly when she just buried her face in her hands. It really showed the toll this took on her, and her incredible resolve to protect her family. Loved that the writers didn't have her retaliate when Mary slapped her (though her gasp was a little theatrical). She just kept going on with the conversation with resolve and maturity. The writers nailed it with her dialogue in that scene and Megan Follows was brilliant as usual! No wonder she is the Queen!

I loved that Mary really stepped it up this week. Francis was practically her lap dog, and he seemed perfectly happy letting her take the lead. This was a great episode to show her growing up. It showed her naiveté (her first plan that got all those men killed) and her struggles to be the real Queen on Scotland. Her slapping Catherine was a little extreme, but her stand-off after that and the threat to tell France about Henry was incredible. I'm glad the show doesn't use her age as a excuse to make her docile. The fact that these grown, hardened men bowed down to her really put her.

The best part though of the episode was the last scene when Mary calmly told Francis her country comes first. This is such a departure from all the other shows that have the girl always putting the guy first over everything else. Mary is really a great role model! Francis was definitely troubled by the fact that his wife's priorities could harm him, and that she would not hesitate to sacrifice him. I want to see more interactions like this! I can't wait to see more of this in the coming episodes. I just hope they don't undo this by focusing on her attempts to have a baby, by pitting her against Lola, or sending her back to Bash. Mary was completely BOSS this episode!

I hope there is more of where this came from! PERFECT episode! I am in Heaven =D
More+
Flag
This episode was great! It gave me semi Red Wedding vibes with the slaughter of Mary's countrymen at that brothel even though I did see it coming after that guy let slip of their plans to Catherine. I've seen enough period shows like this / Catherine is a no nonsense queen to allow Mary's words and will to escape France. I just wasn't entirely sure if she originally intended to get info out of this guy or was it just an added bonus after he was done amusing her, she seemed genuinely surprised and troubled by what she learnt.

Idk about you but I actually am all for Bash & Kenna.

Lola... Good for Lola or maybe not? This guy has obvs got some crazy skeletons in his closet if he is willing to go through with a marriage to a preggo woman when he dumped Greer just for kissing the kitchen boy.

Catherine and Penelope... HA! Loved that bit. Oh and Catherine's "special" group of ladies haha

Henry has completely lost his wits. Yikes

Mary standing up and finally taking charge (literally charging men to go start trouble) was probably the highlight of this episode for me, even though it failed whoops. Then her barging in on Catherine, slapping her and demanding the destruction of the contract was just great good for her. She's learning how to a queen but at what cost?
More+
Flag
Every other actress on this network should be complaining that they aren't on this one. Who feels really bad for Jenessa Grant for having the misfortune of playing 'Ayleee'? She must have been in tears when she found out her character's fate. 'So I'm not getting to come back?' This network - since worlds ago when it was WB and promised programming for young women as the primary targeted demographic - never seemed to respect its target audience until this glorious program made it to air. I mean this is a network that gives 2 shows to Kevin Williamson who hasn't written a single female character in his entire career that wasn't a cliché or female stereotype even when they are super-naturals. All hail this one, this 'REIGN', this glorious shining light that rises above every other show on this dumb f'cking network and has roles women in any country that want to be on television could be fighting over. These female characters have depth and male characters that respect brave decisions by women which is seriously lacking on all of television. Is this show finally gaining this network a bit of respect. The best part is the show they've created has so many stories working along side of others -the scripts move effortlessly, the show never seems like its spinning its wheels in the ground trying to move -& It just moves forward making us love these women, and men even more. And it is sooo damn good.

Yes, blame the writers and the chemistry in the smiles between 'Bash' and 'Lady Kenna' by episode end. I knew he was going to fancy himself her protector at some point and sparks would start percolating and I'm glad to see I'm right because those two together is fantastic. Who cares if she's been the most self-centered Lady the entire time she's been at Court, I'll buy her decision to remember she isn't French, she's a Scot and Mary her Queen for the first time. (Really its been quite a disrespectful tone to the Queen during most of this time but things go fast on this show and I wouldn't have it otherwise.) Kenna had quite an episode and quite a transformation from her initial scene reticence to the idea of 'Bash' -- totally acceptable she's been watching him mooning over Mary since they arrived at Court. -- to that big hug at the end when he got her away from poor Henry (Alan Van Sprang is the one actor that NEEDS to be on everyone's 'Supp Actor' short list this year. This part is so big and he's so good going through Henry's tempers. The temptation would be to go 'too far' over the top for most actors and he's doing well keeping it toned down just enough. He was so good in that scene with Sebastien when discussing Kenna's perfect posterior. Sebastien was turning 50 shades of concern mixed w/ some real anger and Henry was just blissfully happy in his altered state.)

Mary was so awesome this week. The gown when she was addressing her Countrymen, who were about to get laid (Thumbs up) then slaughtered (thumbs down), was my favorite this week. I loved the way Francis eye's were so lit up during her speech. She's walking out of the room afterward kind of coming down a little - that was such a big moment for her - and he is completely smitten. I expected him to start high fiving the guards with 'That's right, who's got Mary? .... Francis does, That's who!' When she laid down next to him in bed after her honest comment regarding Who's Number 1 in her book - that number one being Scotland and Henry thinking he better start working on his best Michael Myers impression. (Anyone? Anyone get that reference? If no, Please find and enjoy the film 'So I Married an Ax Murderer') He's getting a wee bit as terrified of her as he is of mother and this is such a marvelous development.

And a word about Her Hotness the lady that for all intent and purpose slaughtered the Scots (even the one who got something a hell of a lot better than a whore with dirty feet prior to losing his head. How great was her hair as she was sitting there watching him figure out Penelope wasn't really the Queen. I want to hate her for that act -- we liked Scottish dude who swore allegience to Mary -- but I just can't hate any of the women on this show. Her and Mary at odds is something so good and can only get better (Did you really think THIS show was going to have them playing pinochle?) She is too awesome. Charlotte, the 'Flying Squad' girl, didn't just want Mary to get her out of the city she wanted out of the COUNTRY - because she knew she was f'in with the wrong woman by not trying to get in King Syphilis' pants. Poor dumb Bean Queen has no idea what is in store for her - nor do we.

The other ladies, what is in store for preggo Lola. We want to like Julien. He seems cool and he was kind of a dick to Greer of Kinross but he could have been worse. But really, he doesn't propose to her because Greer was caught in as simple as a kiss with the help but this one is pregnant and he's all - 'we can make this work' with Lady Lola? HMMMM. What is his deal? There was too much going on to get to that but HMMMMMMMM.

Olivia and Nostradmus must have been off somewhere making sweet sweet love. How could he miss all of this and we not miss him? This show is too good and has too many good characters and good stories to only be an hour long. This should be the first two hour's weekly drama.

Weekly loving rant over. I WANT MORE! Thanks Ms. Sparks for admiring this show as much as us. Is it easier or more difficult to review a show that is so good? 'Game of Thrones' came back this week and has nothing on this show. 'GoT' is child's play compared to what these writers are doing (cause none of these writers are obese white males writing fantasy). This awesome show's crew; doing what they are doing stretching every penny to look this good on the CW - should be given raises cause this show is money.
More+
Flag
Just a thought, but why didn't Mary just threaten Catherine into burning the documents in the first place? Mary made an elaborate scheme that would have lead to civil war and ended up having Catherine kill a bunch of Scots in retaliation. And yet, in the final confrontation with Catherine she threatens to reveal the King's madness and Catherine burns the documents without a second thought. She could have started with this threat and those men wouldn't have had to die! Sigh. This show actually gets to me! I find myself actually creating strategies along with the characters and I was surprised how shocked/sad I was when her countrymen were killed. And oh the roller coaster that is Catherine! I love/hate her so much! I
Flag
I think with her first plan she was also considering the cost to France, she didn't want anyone to get hurt (she's going to be 'ruling' in France too so ..). On top of that she felt more betrayed by her mother who should have Mary's best interests at hart above her own and wanted to 'stick it' to her. But when Catherine had her man killed in cold blood, Mary was like an eye for an eye, you killed my men without caring I'm only going to care about Scotland and there was her plan to have Catherine burn the contract.
Flag
Staff
It occurred to me that the direct course seemed so much easier. Of course, now her mother still has a copy of the contract, the other way both parties would have burnt the contract and Mary would have pulled off a little power play and asserted her power abroad. I think that was the real significance of the episode, her asserting her powers for the first time. And also, before Catherine staged a multiple murder things were going along so beautifully between them, maybe she was trying to preserve that civility.
Flag
But I feel doubtful that if Mary dies and France says, "hey we had her sign this agreement giving us Scotland, but uh, we just can't find a copy of it right now... but it's still totally legit, ask her Mum she has a copy." Then her mum will just be "hey here's my copy, take my county, you totally earned it, by the way just send me an invite to my beheading and I'll RSVP Yes!"
Flag
Man this episode was amazing. The scene where Mary was talking to her fellow Scotsman was so powerful, it shows how far she's come since the pilot. I also felt bad for Kenna but also found her awesome in this episode, to see her put aside her selfish desires for queen and country shows some great growth in her character. I just loved the bit where Bash realized that Kenna wasn't seducing his father because she wanted him or anything but because it was her duty which made the scene where Bash swooped in to save her from Henry towards the end really sweet. I definitely want to see more of that and see how their marriage grows. I found it a little funny/weird that Julian was fine learning that Lola was pregnant with someone else's child yet didn't like it when Greer had a thing with a kitchen boy. Loved the scene where Mary revealed that she hadn't been bluffing and that her duty will always be to her country no matter who she's married to. Now I cannot wait to see how this season ends and what's in store when season 2 comes around.
Flag
Haha I'm obsessed with this show and I just looove your comments on it. I'm laughing tears everytime I read them. Thank you :)
Flag
Love this show!!
I thought Bash and Mary were destined to be. Now, I am rooting for Bash and Kenna. I mean, you take one of the most selfish person on the show [Kenna] and pair her with the most honourable person [Bash], and make the pairing work by redeeming Kenna's character. Just look at the smile she gives and how she puts her arms around his arm at the end.
Hats off to the writers for stopping Kenna being a pain in the ass!
Flag
omg this show. it's funny 'cause it being on the cw means it should be shit, but it defied all ods and it's GOOD. not like the cw's good, but GOOD GOOD
Flag
Staff
It's smart and ambitious and has such a fantastic cast. I keep telling everyone I know to get on board.
Flag
Loved this episode! Didn't see it coming but wow Kenna/Bash are kind of awesome together. I really hope they'll just put a pin in this love triangle ish and keep Bash with Kenna or someone who can make him equally as happy. I'm over love triangles forever.
Flag
HERE YOU ARE FOLKS

Flag
Staff
"It involves sex & quite a mess of it"---DYING
Flag
can we talk about where the HELLLLL Diane is?!!
Flag
this episode should have been called Liege Lord Sassy Pants
i really enjoyed all the characters in this episode. starting with Bash and Kenna, i think 90% of us saw it coming. their candidness, straightforward no bullshit attitudes making for a somewhat genuine relationship. i do like them together and i think they'll be the only happy couple in the entire show which makes me happy because poor Bash deserves a break for crying out loud

Mash may have to be put on hold for a long while, no im not giving up on them but Bash and Kenna are making for an interesting dynamic. probably the only honest relationship to come about since.... well no one. they're it. i am on board 100%, they will become the ride-or-die couple. Kenna did stray and was very aloof with her whole pursuit of Mistressness but at the end of the day neither of them are blame-free, cough cough MASH choking, gasping for air MAAAASHHHHHH. i loved that they both put those issues on the table from the beginning. *deep breath in* feels good

Francis has officially taken the role of stay at home hubby, Mary definitely wears the pants and proved that she will do whatever it takes for Scotland.
and that SLAP
my heart fell out of my mouth, it felt WAY TOO GOOD to watch.

i did find the whole Lord Julian situation funny, he wasnt prepared to marry a girl who could spring open a can of worms having kissed a servant but LETS MARRY THE CHICK WHO'S WITHCHILD. makes perfect sense! buddy definitely has a trick or two up his sleeve. im just wating for the baby to pop out blonde with brunette parents *awwwwwwww*

on to King Henry. Alan Van Sprang is absolutely brilliant, i love what he has made of this character, as douchey as he may be, i do feel bad for him, he genuinely has moments of vulnerability, mere moments, half a millisecond moments

and the ending was very Game of Thrones which was awesome!!!
More+
Flag
  • I know Lord Julian is kind of dark horse right now but in his defense he broke up with Greer because other people saw her kissing Leith (his servants and a maid). I dont think he would have spurned her if he saw it alone. But since Lola told him about pregnancy in private and those who know about it definitely wont gossip - his reputation and marriage are safe (for the time being).
Flag
I took a slightly different message from this episode. Yes both Bash and Francis were admiring the strength and dedication of their wives to their country. And that is a good thing, seeing guys attracted to strong qualities, not vapid or vain ones. But the ending for both kinda ruined the message.

Bash definitely gained some respect for Kenna this episode. She is willing to play a very dangerous game, albeit one she started a while ago, to help her Queen. But in the end, she needed rescuing. And while it was a nice gesture to see Bash willing to help her as much as Mary (ok never that much) I felt it undermined that whole strong and independent streak she had going.

The same thing happened with Francis. It's great to see Mary actually being the Queen and throwing around her power. I think watching a dozen tough Scots fall at her feet was a pretty empowering symbol and Francis certainly appreciated it. But when he realised that she was willing to stand by that conviction, despite him, it suddenly became much less of a turn on and more of a threat. As if it wasn't painfully obvious from her speech that Mary Queen of SCOTS (hint there much Francis) would choose Scotland. But he seems so shocked that she would dare risk his precious kingdom. So basically, it's ok to admire a powerful woman, as long as they agree with you.

Also, I wanted to see Nostradamus and Olivia :(
More+
Flag
I don't think that was as much about Francis not admiring Mary's strength as it was him not being okay with the fact that they have very different (and at times, conflicting) priorities. You can love a woman's strength and still be upset that she's fully willing to throw you under the bus in service of her country.
Flag
Exactly. Why wouldn't he feel some kind of way about her going behind his back and possibly throwing him under the bus? Had Francis done that to Mary, he would be all kinds of *insert Francis hate*
Flag
Staff
Certainly at the END of the episode, Francis went to bed with a very frozen look on his face. I think you're exactly right about how he feels about her 3 riders thing, however I think the bigger backlash will come hopefully next episode. And really, powerful man or powerful woman, if your partner declare they're willing to put you in direct danger in service to any other thing, that has to be quite a reality check.
Flag
Francis did very much have a frozen look on his face and he definitely felt some type of way about the three riders thing but I don't think any of that means Mary is necessarily willing to risk Francis's life... She stated that if things were to go awry that Francis would be her consort back in Scotland and that means she would have to ensure his safety, certain other members of his family and his country ehh not so much. Also if Mary were to leave for Scotland w/ Francis in tow, regardless to how things turned out she would need him as the next king of France to ensure any type of peace and/or re-alliance with his country. I think Francis is more frightened at the realization what truely being a royal means, how that can affect even a happy marriage, and the lenghts that Mary will go in order to protect her country, which could mean that Francis might at some point have to do the same.
Flag
I think it was his comment about how 'In France the Queen is just the woman who is married to the King' that has me concerned. He obviously didn't expect Mary to be much of a partner in ruling. And yes he was excited about the idea of her ruling with him. But I don't think Francis would much appreciate the role reversal in Scotland, with Mary holding all the cards.
Flag
In reply to your comment below....I was replying specifically to the part of your post voicing concern over Francis' comment. His comment was not negative. Catherine may be powerful but the King officially has the last word and final decision. Should something happen to him, Catherine won't be ruling alone but Frances would ascend to the throne.

Of course, Francis would not be happy if he was forced to leave France and be Mary's Consort in Scotland, especially had it come about that way Mary threatened with his country being thrown into civil war. When Francis first proposed to Mary, he said "And we will decide what's right as husband and wife." Clearly he didn't expect her to just be a figurehead.

There will definitely be major conflict going forward since Mary basically would have put Francis' life in danger with her second option. Judging from the previews, it will only get worse. But I much prefer this kind of conflict than the old love triangle which is just so cliché.
Flag
@Rileyy Like I said, he seemed excited by the idea of her ruling with him, especially after that speech. But I'm going off both what I saw in the show and the general background of the times, and there's no way a guy, especially the Dauphin of France would be content living in his wife's court as her consort, because she caused a civil war in his own country. So I'm worried that in future episodes there's going to be some major conflict between the two about what Mary is willing to do. And I don't want either to happen.
Flag
Not being sarcastic but go back and rewatch that scene. Francis definitely was impressed by Mary's speech and he made that comment right after saying "That was amazing!". He had a smile on his face the whole time he said it so he clearly meant it as a compliment.
Flag
I certainly don't think that the whole new "throwing your interests under the bus thing for my country" is a good way to get with the baby making. That bed looked colder than crap after that argument.
Flag
Traumatized by this episode. (The foot face massage really sent it over the edge there.) The focus on politics is what I've been wanting, but boy is it intense. I think Reign's Mary is a great combination of spirit and optimism and tenderness. At the same time, I think this episode kind of foreshadows the darker times to come and the turmoil of her life after she leaves French court, because in the end, France could not protect her. She became a political captive, and her biggest threat became Elizabeth. Whether Mary would reach for the English crown or not, Elizabeth would still see Mary as a threat because of her bloodline. I would love to see them focus on that in the second season.

Flag
Agreed... The politics on this show in general but this episode specifically is not for dummies. I am very much into period dramas like this where politics are everything and even I caught myself tripping up a bit because man they laid it on and didn't skip a beat. If nothing else that is one thing I very much appreciate about this show, you know considering its on the CW lol. But yes TVD fans/ Julie Plec take note
Flag
Great review!
Flag
So God's giving stuff out and he says to The Scots " I will make sure your scenery is beautiful and your water sweet enough to make the best whisky, but just so you don't get too conceited you also get the English for neighbours..."
Thank you, thank you I'll be here all week, remember to tip your serving wench and try the haggis...
Flag
Loved Kenna being called out on her selfishness. But she showed some development and is being less selfish for her queen and country, which was nice. Although now that Henry is creasy she’s all Mary is my Queen when before she told Mary to her face she wasn’t her Queen anymore, Henry was now her King. Make up your mind already.

When Lola was talking to Greer about how Julian wasn’t really that interested (or something like that), all I could think was: 'lose that piece of clothing around your shoulders and show some skin girl'. Why would he want someone dressed like a nun (I compared it to all the other ladies showing some cleavage). But she got him hooked even with a baby confession.
So he doesn’t want Greer for kissing a servant and people finding out, but Lola being preggers in private is okay cause no one knows just jet. Man and their ego’s are just weird. (ps don’t the servants know she’s pregnant? Don’t they clean her room and wash her linens)

Half the Scots with weapons leaving the party wasn’t suspicious at all. Or was that one Scott, who seduced Catherine, meant to distract her from that fact. Cause he did a good job until he started talking about it, after the sex when he was all mellow. Why do all the guys do that on tv? Btw I think she killed him herself.

Mary should have really looked at the contract before she had Catherine burn it. To see if it was the right one cause I wouldn’t put it past Catherine to fool her. Mary showed she could be a queen (except for those teary eyes in front of the queen), now she only has to dethrone her mother, hopefully next week she’s actually going to Scotland.

Penelope (that was her name right) isn’t dead yet, Catherine you’re losing your touch, but I guess she has other things on her mind.

Liked the looks Francis gave Mary when she was being strong but his personality is seriously lacking. ‘We have to support my father in his time of need’ idiot, you’re the crown prince show some initiative and get him better or off that throne before he destroys his kingdom.

Tennis guy: a younger brother or some other family guy of the King that he killed.
Kenna and Bash: Please, it was nice seeing them together but as soon as the King is healed from his insanity Kenna is going back to him.
Lola telling: Thought she was stupid for telling and something is going to happen to make that engagement fall apart.
More+
Flag
  • You have to remember, when Kenna said that to Mary, she was going off the assumption that she was going to be Henry's #1 mistress and that Diane was getting dumped. The Henry came back with her. Later she learned that he had no intention of getting rid of Diane. By being with Henry she thought she was going to get the power at court that Diane had, and she didn't. Later she wanted a husband with a title. She wasn't getting what she wanted and ended up with Bash, who although I would take him in a heartbeat, she did not want because his title is just made up. She was expecting more, and she did not get it. Her feeling have changed towards the King, especially now that he is crazy.
  • Even if Henry does get better, she might not go back to him. At the end of the episode, Bash did show that he was willing to protect her something Henry was not doing when she was with him. Despite the affair she gained nothing from it.
  • Men at that time would normally wear their swords, especially the nobles, it could almost be considered a piece of clothing. We have not seen Francis wearing a sword too much because he really isn't shown doing much.
  • I don't think Catherine killed the Scot herself. Like with the rest of the Scots she had someone else do it.
  • Catherine has been pretty busy trying to divert decisions to herself instead of the king. I think I read next week her and Kenna end up teaming up because the king gets worse and the bean queen ends up "in charge", Kenna and Catherine end up having to work together to put the pieces back into place using drastic measures (Not really a spoiler, more like a preview for next week).
  • I do agree though, Francis needs to help out his dad or help his mom with making decisions. He is a Prince with an incapacitated dad, take some initiative otherwise what kind of Prince are you? It's not like your being asked to completely take over or are trying to oust your dad or anything.
More +
Flag
I re-watched the killing, and you're right it wasn't her, I saw the top of a sword. I really wanted it to be her, cause it felt more personal, more her style to kill someone she just slept with herself.

If you're right about Kenna teaming up with Catherine. I'm staying with my thoughts of Kenna still wanting the king (but only if he goes back to the way he was before the sickness). No one said she can't like both father and son.

Okay, you were right, everyone has a sword, I paid attention to it after your comment and I've been remembering all the other times Francis had one. But the point still remains, it was a secret/private meeting and suddenly 13 men (I counted, give or take a few, it was a bit dark) disappear together at the same time, and no one informed the queen?
Flag
  • I believe Mary and Francis both get distracted by Mary's brother James who wants Mary to go back to Scotland. Francis is supposed to get into it with him over a plot to kill Mary, so they are not being written as helping Catherine. My guess is that she (Catherine) has Kenna help because a) she might figure she can get close to Henry if necessary, b) she is now married to Bash who is Henry's other older son. Kenna might not be helping her because she wants the King back once he is well. For all we know Catherine orders/blackmails her into it, or she could offer a royal favor that Kenna would be interested in (a new title for her or Bash to elevate their status, a castle, etc).
  • By informing the Queen, do you mean Catherine or the lowly kitchen whore as Catherine called her? If you are referring to Catherine then remember she was busy with that other Scot. Plus these were invited guests. Besides, Lord McKenzie had people under his command so it would not be odd for them to go with him, especially when that conversation is with their Queen. they could have gone to talk about anything. Plus at the time Mary and her were getting along, Mary having made sure she got medical attention the week before.
More +
Flag
The real queen. She's got spies, the guards tell her everything even when she's busy flirting. Catherine already had suspicions about Mary from the time her lady in waiting talked to Mary, she might not have known about what but she knew something was up.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Flag
I think Bash and Kenna will end up being the only "happy" couple, I see them doing great things if they give their marriage a try.
Mary is just great queen, a lot better than many of our leaders today. Though she's still learning about the intricacies of politics she is able to play with the big dogs and still put her country first.

I cant believe how much I am enjoying Reign. great show
Flag
WOW, WOW Mary is bad ass she is developing into a queen now and it's fantastic to see she stuck it to everyone in this episode and I loved it. I can't believe she slapped Catherine like OMG that was brilliant, and I actually think Francis is becoming very aware not to mess with his wife when it comes down to Scotland. Oh Bash he is so beautiful and loyal to a fault, I just adore that beautiful man. Well I'm liking this lord Julian but he is definatly hiding something but I don't care I kill him and I like him and Lola together so yehhhhhhh.
Flag
I hope Julian doesn't turn out to be a douche like that Spanish-y dude from earlier in the season, (sorry whatever country he's from, I can't remember where he was from) the bastard Mary almost married. It would be too similar to something that already happened not that long ago and a bummer because so far Julian seems to be a chill dude. P.S. Yes, feet should stay away from anything meaning to be even remotely sexy, because they're not, sexy that is. I've always found feet kind of gross, I get almost everything's a fetish but I don't understand how it's such a common fetish.
Flag
That guy was from Portugal if I recall correctly. And I think Julian might end up being worse than him lol maybe not in personality but he's deff got some skeletons in his closet just waiting to fall out
Flag
I was almost sure it was a P country, thanks.
Flag
Everything. Just everything about it. I can't even comment properly on this show, because I think in high pitched "squee" noises. Everyone is perfect. I might just have to stop watching for now so I can watch the season in one sitting later and not be miserable when each episode ends (ps ya right, maybe in some magical super-self-control land I have never lived in).
Flag
I can't wait for Penelope's take-down by Catherine. I think the tennis player is Henri's older brother, the one who was rumored to have been poisoned by Catherine's servant during a tennis game.
Flag
This episode is really intense. Penelope seems useless with the King and acts like a scapegoat in court. Queen Catherine is just happy that she is safe to be an adulteress for a day. Not that the king cares right?
Of course since the trailer of the episode, most of us are well aware of the secret clause resides in the contract that Mary signed.
The way Mary dealt it initially was creative, cautious, not life threatening. Something an ideal Queen should do and would probably in her happy candy land would turn up great and live happily ever after.

Not on Catherine's watch! After she had realised that she was under threat, she did what any queen on the chess piece would do. Get rid of anyone against her with any means necessary, including those men who had sworn to be loyal to Mary.

Mary, being young and a fast learner really had the game turned towards her way. Yup, you cannot have two queens in the same court. Now that Mary had earned the upper hand desperately defeated Catherine, she also lost Francis in the process. Therefore I can totally count on Francis to be naughty again. The queen would want to fraction up Mary's power by finding a suitable mistress name Lola. I'll bet she will be part of the chess piece to neutralise Mary's power a bit since she cannot produce any babies for France. We will to it soon.

Now, let us all congratulate Lola for her new found gay husband.

As for Kenna and Bash, I dare say I have little love for Kenna. But Bash, being lowered and used now by his animal of a father is really sickening. How would any man stand being in the presence of his lover in the arms of his brother. In the meantime sharing the same woman with his despicable Father. Seems like he will always be in an unfortunate situation. How dare King Henry said, 'MY GIFT TO YOU!!'. SO DISGUSTING!! Imagine the hate Bash has towards Henry now! I wouldn't be surprise if Bash kills Henry, to me it is only fair.

It is really sweet of Bash to be on the lookout for Kenna. He is always the gentleman to the ladies. He will always be the good one. So unlike his father.
More+
Flag
  • Normally I would agree with you on Kenna-but this week she actually showed some character development. That is what made him decide to try to protect Kenna towards the end of the episode. He saw a different side of her.
  • If the King were not insane, I don't necessarily think he would have forced the marriage. Bash and Kenna know the king is mad. At first both hated it, but at the end at least she knows Bash will try his best to help her where Henry is involved.
Flag
i understand what you mean, but one episode of Kenna's development does not mean very much to me. Besides, she is a desperate girl. In any circumstances, she is considered someone less worthy; to have someone like Mary to back her up. She is lucky on the show. Luckier than Lola in my opinion. Also because I like Bash so much that I loath towards the fact he is unfortunately married to someone like Kenna. It could have been anyone, but her.

Kings can be a nuisance. They r tyrants like the Uther in Merlin, Robert Baratheon on GoT. King Henry reminds me of them.

I do not think they would ever forgive a person who is that mad and thinks he is invincible. At least I felt that finally Kenna manage to shake off the feeling of fulfilling her needs. Like Francis, I just want to see how long that last.
Flag
  • I'm not saying that one singular episode makes up for everything she has done. As I said, normally I would agree with you about Kenna. I guess we will see if she undergoes anymore positive character development throughout the rest of the season or into the second one.
  • Trust me when I say that I wish that Sweet, Wonderful Bash was not married to his father's former mistress. I hated the idea and I ranted about it when it happened, both at home and on this site, you could probably find it in the comment section in that review if you felt the need to look. I believe that he deserves better.
  • Don;t get me wrong, Henry could be an a** before he went crazy and delusional. But remember, more of that is coming out because of that reason. If he were sane I don't necessarily think he would have: forced Kenna and Bash together; forced Bash to watch the consummation between Mary and Francis; or even tried to have him killed and then later put in chains in the dungeon. He was Henry's favorite before he went insane and even if he wouldn't have taken that into consideration he might have spared Bash for Diane's sake. She was his favorite mistress throughout his life and even throughout a few other affairs, he always went back to Diane as we saw when Henry refused to give her up when Kenna wanted him to.
More +
Flag
couldn't agree with u more.. obviously i am a bit harsh with Kenna... if the show decided to develop her positively... i would probably change my opinion about her..
Flag
Lol Robert Baratheon wasn't a tyrant... an adulterer and a drunkard however. Joffrey is a tyrant, Mad King Aerys (Dany's father) was a tyrant.
Flag
true, my mistake there... but Robert is mad too..
Flag
Flag
omg this show is too good
Flag
  • Mary obviously got a dose of reality that people are going to die for her. She knew about it when she convinced Francis to send men to Scotland but I think it hit home more because they were her countrymen.
  • The back and forth between Mary and Catherine was great. First Catherine out-maneuvers her and then vice versa.
  • Catherine got some tonight and she probably liked not being considered the Queen for a short while and liked getting the complements from the Scot. Too bad she had his throat split.
  • Mary's speech to the Scots was good, too bad she had to loose those same people shortly afterword.
  • Bash and Kenna was actually watchable today. I think Kenna actually showed a different side to her, not just to Bash but to the audience.
  • Lord Julian confused me a bit in this episode. He would not marry Greer because she kissed a kitchen boy, yet he will marry a pregnant Lola-who refuses to admit who the father is. This after the fact that he told her he was afraid of losing yet another wife to childbirth and thus refused to have children. Does this mean that if the childbirth is successful that he will want to risk having kids or does he figure that he is cursed or something and will just deal with Lola's kid? Will he let Lola keep the baby and hope he can pass it off as his own or will he convince her to give it up?
  • First Francis is awed at how inspiring Mary could be with her people and then between this week and what happens next week he seems surprised that Mary would choose Scotland over France if necessary? Has he not been paying attention? How can you act supportive of your wife-a Queen-and yet not think that she would choose her country before his?
  • What no Lord Castleroy with Greer tonight? Or is he off buying pepper?
  • The King’s illness is getting worse, and obviously will be getting more so next week. I wonder if the person he “saw” towards the end was a young him or someone else?
More+
Flag
-Bash and Kenna surprisingly worked for me this episode. I had thought they'd be almost unwatchable but they exchanged some great lines, playing off each other very well and the ending was surprisingly sweet.
-Alan Van Sprang is clearly having the time of his life playing the King. I'm not looking forward to him dying or something. He's been a blast.
-I was pretty shocked by Catherine's homicidal streak this episode. Really, I shouldn't be at this point. But I was.
-Kudos to Mary for being the HBIC (HQIC?). Adelaide Kane plays her as a good role model to young women- something the CW lacks considering that's its target audience.

Flag
Staff
I hope they cure Van Sprang & do a whole "contrite made King" arc and let him stick around for the upcoming season. He really gives such a fun energy to the show.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members