A Reign Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

Reign S01E18: "No Exit"

Is it just me, or was the music for “No Exit” especially on-point this week? I could swear I heard an orchestral version of Lorde’s “Royals,” not to mention the martial drums when Mary and Frances really got into each other in the last scene. But I’m getting ahead of myself, we have a lot to discuss!

Firstly, the majority of our characters are now married. Bash and Kenna are developing this beautiful, honest connection that’s showcasing both Torrance Coombs and Caitlin Stasey’s ability to sketch in the subtle, finer areas of their characters. Frances and Mary are dealing with typical newlywed conflicts: racking servants to foil murder plots and casting out to sea to win Scotland’s affections before it breaks into full mutiny. Catherine finally unseated that wretched little Bean Queen from her place at Henry’s side. And finally, Lola is tugging on some troublesome loose threads that could unravel her entire marriage. And she just got hitched in this episode! Lola is off the market, and he’s totally cool about the baby, and they’re falling in love! But then he gave her a necklace and when she dropped it, one of the jewels shattered—and suddenly she had a lot of questions.

Considering his frequent inquiries about when her dowry was going to be deposited and the rather shady fact that two of his previous wealthy wives died in quick succession, Lola may have a Bluebeard on her hands. And every time she asks him something, he can pull the “Hey, I Don’t Ask About That Baby” card. Not that he would but... he could! Cozy! Luckily, Lord Julian was able to smooth everything over with a heaping helping of meaningless sweet talk that was about as coherent as a pile of Charlie Manson lyrics, telling her to shhhshhhshhh because their lives start now/ don’t look back, don’t ask how. Girl maybe get Aslan in for this, ask him to do a background check.

One of the rewards of a long, arduous marriage is clearly an intimate knowledge of your partner, and that is what Catherine was able to ultimately parlay into the end of the Bean Queen’s fart of a reign. After finding Henry (the truly game Alex Van Sprang) trussed up like a submissive roasted chicken, she cooked up a scheme that would press deeply ingrained psychological buttons in Henry’s fevered brain, with Kenna’s help and a “whole mess of sex”; certainly one of my favorite lines of all time. 

Kenna is clearly the Fronch Court Sexpert. She’s the Carrie Bradshaw of Fronce. She knows where things go (digits, turkey legs, et cetera). And while she no longer side-hoes on the down low, she can sidle up to a dominatrix and make her feel like her resume needs an update in thirty seconds flat, which is ostensibly what Catherine was counting on. Kenna barged in on the Bean Queen’s FIDM final and asked her about a variety of risqué sex practices, then asked her if she'd ever heard of the Uncomfortably Blasphemous Stance. Bean Queen was intrigued.

This led to the Bean Queen trussing Henry up in a crucifix-like position, which made him about as aroused as a foot rub from his grandmother, and then Catherine burst in on them with the bishop. THE BISHOP? Yes, the Bishop.

In a fit of repentant fervor, Henry cast the Bean Queen from him, and Kenna won a nice little estate for her and Bash, which Bash was super appreciative of. As I've already said, Bash and Kenna are slaying it in the slow-burn OTP game. His teeny tiny wedding ring is both fashion-forward and practical, and their continued efforts to make the best of an arguably not-so-bad situation has made their forced romance seriously compelling. We all know Bash is dedicated to putting his Lady first, and Kenna has had to play second fiddle for far too long. 

Meanwhile, Mary’s half brother James and his delicious Scottish accent came to court. 

He was intent on bringing her home because the Scottish people are sick of her French mom filling all the important Scottish government jobs with French people and making everybody speak French and hanging the French flag in front of the castle while the Scottish flag just hangs over the pony stable and no doughnuts anymore just crullers etc. The only way these mutinous Scots would be appeased was if the Queen who'd been born and raised and married in France traveled across the ocean to show everyone how Scottish she was! (She'd better double-fist her Irn-Bru.) Mary was like, “Let’s double-time it.” But Frances wanted her to hang out and negotiate with the Cardinal because the king is crazy like Cocoa Puffs right now. 

Mary was really trying to set some boundaries for Frances this week. Her country came first for her. He was trying to prove she came first with him, but he did so in the weirdest way possible: by ultimately locking her up in a tower. Of course, he did it because he knew a plot was afoot to murder her and the intended assassin was James’ own footman. Who he RACKED—which, not to tell tales out of school, but people usually didn’t leave the rack with the ability to walk. Anyway, when the rack failed to break his man, Frances turned to his old standby: showering an enemy with fabulous cash prizes. In an echo of his daring stakes at the gambling table to save Lola, Frances kept upping the price for the Scot’s info about who was trying to kill Mary.

See, but, after he delivered that information to Mary, he didn’t trust her judgement once she’d processed everything and basically responded, “Eh, still goin’.” She was down to ride out in the storm, make her way to Scotland, evade assassins, and come through on her equivalent of a 16th century Bangerz tour. But Frances wouldn’t let her because it wasn’t safe. Nevermind that she knew it wasn’t safe and wanted to do it anyway, or that she's evaded the deathly intentions of his own mother for going on several months now. Nevermind that nothing will ever be safe for her, as the Queen of Scotland. He took her autonomy away from her. His intentions may have been good, but you know what they say about good intentions (they pave the road to hell).

In a rousing sword scrimmage betwixt Frances and Bash, Frances admitted that, as a king, he couldn’t put Mary first, not truly. Bash was like “Hahaha, twist the knife more please if you possibly can, remind me that Mary didn’t choose me but I ultimately would've been better for her, hahahaha.”

But no one hurts right now the way Nostradamus hurts right now. He had to send Olivia off to either his cousin's or Trinidad or both. They were making bearskin-cot love, which is absolutely the worst time to break off a fledgling romance. However, he’d seen an image of her dead in the castle, so I’m sure she’ll be back. Oh, we haven’t seen the last of Olivia. She may have taken that coin purse, but she’s headed back Nosty’s way, mark my words. (When she runs out of coins, prolly.)

So, another complex and entertaining episode is behind us. Mad King Henry may be inching toward redemption. Kenna and Bash are making sweet sweet lemonade out of lemons. Lola may be in trouble. Mary and Frances are in over their heads. Everything is coming to a boil as we head into the homestretch of the season. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?!

QUESTIONS:

... Do you trust James, or do you think he was in on it?

... Does Frances love Mary the girl, not Mary the Queen?

... Did you LOL at hearing “VALISE” shouted super angrily?

... Bash: Do you kind of wish he would run into Mary more, or are you Benna all the way?

... Lola’s hubby: wife-slaying poor dude?

... Did you laugh when Catherine said Olivia wouldn't want to be away form all the "comforts of court" because like what? You mean the crazy king and random murder?

... Who had the best dress of the episode?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

117 Comments
Comments (116)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I am so glad I found this forum BTW yay!
Flag
So Mary and Francis are having an argument over the French being in Scotland, and Mary is talking about how they need to show the Scots that their Queen is Scottish, and they are saying all this in French....Considering she has been in France for most of her life, I wonder if she ever stops to think about whether she is really Scottish.
Flag
I thought it was awesome that they used an Orchestral version of "Royals" during the wedding reception. Kinda of cheeky, but it also sounded legit authentic period-wise. At first I laughed when I realized what song it was, but then I thought it was a really cool version - I'd even love to hear a version with Lorde's vocals but orchestral backing music someday.

I also loved that line that Lola had about what foolish things women may blow their money on, and then mentions gambling and hookers. Hah! Take that. I can only hope there were some women as sharp as her back then.
Flag
That was totally Lorde in orchestra
Flag
Also - I like that we didn't definitively find out whether James was in on the plot or not. That seems far more realistic and allows everything to be an intriguing shade of grey.

My instinct is that James was trustworthy but that's mostly because of his real-life, historical equivalent. I also think it makes a better story because the tower twist is less exciting if Francis was definitely saving Mary's life. Plus, at this stage I respect Mary's opinions. She's earned that. And if knowing all the facts, she still trusted James.. I trust her judgment. Perhaps family is a blind spot with her but her interactions with her mother suggest that isn't the case.
Flag
'Guards.. surround the Queen!'

I literally gasped.

You can not do that to the Queen of Scotland, Francis. Understandable motive but actually quite the Henry-move. I didn't expect Mary to go to Scotland but they do play fast and loose with historical details so I guess anything's possible. What I didn't expect at all was Francis to undermine Mary so completely. I am absolutely loving this storyline. And any time Francis tells us he has to put France ahead of Mary I like him more. Being a future King is a big freaking deal and he clearly gets that. (Sweet, naiive Bash: 'Be a bad King'. France should be relieved he never became heir.) And Mary, Queen of Scots imprisoned in a tower? Nice.

I could not stop giggling in the opening scene at 'Royals' playing in the background. Nicely done, show. Truly. Well played. And good to see so many Bash/Francis scenes. 'I can't tell if you're describing my relationship with Mary or you and Kenna.' Basically, I really liked this episode. Also..

*Jumps aboard the Bash/Kenna ship*

I don't need them to be together forever or OTP or whatever (although atm I don't mind if they are). I'm just really enjoying seeing their relationship develop and want to see more of it. I love Kenna. 'I'm too high-spirited to be a widow'. She says the sweetest things. And Bash seems to get her, strengths and vulnerabilities all. I was Team Mash but this show doesn't need the love triangle so am quite happy for it to take a backseat.

Oh Lola. I just want her husband to be a good guy but I strongly suspect he'll be dead by the end of the season. At least the baby won't be a bastard I guess? Also, in the 'previously on' I heard:

'You're carrying my husband's child. If he finds out...'
'...I'll do my best to marry him.'

Hee. Oh fun editing. Such a long comment and I haven't even mentioned Catherine and Henry. I've realised I really like this show.
More+
Flag
I was really against Bash and Kenna being together at first, but I am really liking how they are trying to make it work. Love the whole thing with Bash's grandma's ring, too.

I also love that Francis and Bash talk a lot in this episode and that Francis takes his big brother's advice.

I look at the Francis and Mary interaction as Francis picking the lesser of two evils: a dead wife or a pissed off wife. I believe that Francis made the right choice. If Mary hadn't been so insistent on leaving that day when it could have waited a few days, Francis wouldn't have had to lock her up.

Flag
Ok, I am a huge Frary fan, but this episode proved to me that I'm a even bigger Reig fan. Although my fav couple are on the rocks I was still giddy whe the episode finished because of the irony of the situation between the Dauphin and Queen.
He basically pulled a Mary. "I'm gonna do something totally and completely messed up and you will essentially hate me for it, but it's all good cause I'm trying to save your life a d don't care what you have to say about it!"

Sound familiar?!?!

When we went through those stretch of episodes when Mary dumped Francis to save his life and it almost cost his mom and brothers their lives, all I kept saying was Mary was wrong because she took away his choice in the matter several people disagreed with me i this forum to the effect of you do whatever you can to save someone if you trully love them...well Frances just played that card and yet many people are pissed at him. I laughed the entire time...payback is b!tch.

He truly was trying to put her first every step of the way. This encouraged me as I see whatever the writers take Frary through it will build them and unite them a d that's what real marriage is. Marriage is ot easy and anyone who says it is is lying. But as long as both parties truly love one another and want the other to be happy eventually things will work out. Someone will bend and the the couple will be stronger.
Now I absolutely adored how Catherine dispatched of Penelope!
Lola is a fool for buying whatever her husband was selling, but shes young and it's easy to fall for bull at that age especially when he's saying what you want to hear. Poor Lola.

Last thing can't wait to see Catherine's reaction whe she finds out Mary is in the tower :-)
More+
Flag
THIS SHOW ONLY GETS MORE REAL. Love this episode. Love the reviews. Love it all.
Flag
... Oh, James I love his scottish accent, but no I don't trust him one bit.
... I think Frances loves Mary the girl and admires Mary the queen
... Bash deserves some love and nooky so let him stay with Kenna, and please show stop with the awful conversations with Frances.
... Lola’s hubby is a con artist! I think! or a wife slayer with no money
... Catherine come on even if the Fronch Court has amazing dresses and good looking people it isn't worth if you are going to end up dead
... The best dress? mmm tough choice I really loved Kennas and Marys and absolutely hated Penelope's dress while she was having sexy talk with Kenna.
Is it me being way too evil but wouldn't just be easier if Henry just ended up dead?
Flag
'Is it me being way too evil but wouldn't just be easier if Henry just ended up dead?'

Stay tuned!
Flag
- I wouldn't trust James utterly, but I do think he knows what side his bread is buttered on, and Mary stated he'd always been loyal before. Later after Mary was forced to abdicate her throne, James became the regent for her infant son, and that worked out pretty good for him up until he was assassinated. And I got the feeling maybe he was hoping he'd replace Marie de Guise as regent.

- I think Francis loves both sides of Mary, but it was a total dick move of him to lock her up in the tower. And for all the arguments about how it parallels what she did to him earlier, she is the Queen right now, as opposed to just someday, and his actions are effecting the stability/safety of her entire country. Francis is only ever ok with Mary being the strong queen if it doesn't inconvenience him/France, let only being openly conflicting to France's interests. Not to mention that after having his own autonomy taken away, it's even a more dick move of him to do it to someone else, particularly his wife.

-Lol, "VALISE!" Also lol at Henry's look on his face when he took Bash's ring from Kenna: "sorry my sidepiece is such a petty type of dominatrix".

- I am really getting on board with the Benna, surprisingly enough, since I was Bash all the way before. They're making the best of the situation, and that's admirable.

- Reserving judgment to see if Julian is a total Bluebeard, but I'm leaning no right now because it seems too obvious. Though it would make the sapphire necklace ironic in a way.

- No laughing at the "comforts of court" line. Too sad that poor Nostradamus never seems to get any happiness.

- As always, I lust over all the dresses. And the sidebraid hairpieces.
More+
Flag
  • While I agree with you that Francis does love Mary, in this episode he showed that he was trying to be a better husband, especially after talking with Bash. He wanted to support Mary which was why he took charge when it came to investigating the footman. He even said at the end of the episode that him and Catherine would try to deal with the Cardinal on their own. He was trying to protect Mary when he locked her in that tower, as much of a dick move as it is.
    • When Mary has been at court dealing with Catherine, she has also had: Bash, Francis, and her ladies (ok her ladies could have done more to help her, but they did help once and awhile). If James' footman was involved in the plot, then there could be more. If the point of going to Scotland is showing Scottish support to the people then is she really likely to bring more French people in? Who will she have to have her back, I mean she was willing to leave Francis behind, and she did not mention Greer or one of the others going.
  • There is a difference in the two situations involving the two saving each other.
    • With Francis' life it was a matter of a premonition that he did not believe in that in his eyes could have been avoided where perhaps they could have married sooner and everything that happened in between them breaking up and getting back together would not have happened (Catherine being locked up for adultery, ,him sleeping with Lola, which he doesn't know resulted in bastard offspring, his arguments with Bash, etc), as well as some events after the fact (fall out with Bash which is just repairing, Henry trying to kill Bash twice now,, etc).
    • With Mary's situation it is different. Francis sees a threat against Mary's life. It is something he can see and understand as it is right in front of his face, unlike a premonition which involves belief and interpretation.
    • Both situations do involve the stability of a country. You don't think that legitimizing a bastard and putting him on the throne over legitimate children at court isn't effecting the stability of a country? Remember when Mary was going to take the two young princes to that festival and they were attacked? Francis had his supporters and they were not happy about the change. Yes, I do agree that Mary not going could destabilize the country. But at the same time, how good is her going if it could get her killed before she even arrives, or even after?
More +
Flag
I do agree that after talking to Bash Francis was trying to make more of an effort to be a better husband. Him taking charge of investigating the footman was good. It's what he did at the end that was horrible. Mary has been targeted for both murder and rape, by multiple factions, while at the French court. Ensuring her safety at Scottish court would be analogous to keeping safe in France, except she'd have far more allies/friends, as opposed to just her ladies, Francis, and Bash.
As for the stability issues involved, I'm not arguing that trying to legitimize Bash wouldn't cause problems in France - of course it would. But the door opened by Henry VIII when he divorced his first wife gave a lot more options for succession - Bash would become a parallel of Elizabeth I, which could have been very interesting, except he would be Pope-approved.
And as for the stability of Scotland, Mary has been an absentee queen since she was a baby. Even if her country was stable, it's nearing the time where she should have returned to handle some of her own affairs - the murdered lord from the last episode didn't show her any respect until she showed she was actually willing to take care of Scotland, and told her they had been waiting for her for a long, long time. Francis is not allowing her to be queen of her own country by trapping her in the tower. Her life has always been at risk wherever she's been, but now she's being prevented from trying to care for her people and being a good ruler. The possibility of civil war and being engulfed by the English are serious threats that demand her attention.
More +
Flag
I'll comment her since I can;t comment on the post you made after this one-I do know Mary's real back story, I was referring more to what we had seen on the show thus far thus my comments about Mary not knowing who to trust,etc.
Flag
Could she have really had more allies in Scotland at this point in time? She had not been in Scotland very much, she has spent a lot more time in France. She might not know who to trust and who not to trust. In Mary's real life, I don't think she really went to Scotland very often (if at all) until after Francis died.
I mean, as you said, that Scottish Lord who was killed didn't completely support her at first. I did take some convincing on Mary's part to get him to trust her in the first place.
I understand that she has been at risk for most of her life up to this point. Her being in Scotland could help matters, but only to a degree. Just her showing up was not going to stop the English from invading, and they do need more French soldiers there fighting as much as the people don;t like all the French being there. Yes, she possibly could remove some French from positions of power that her mother put into place. Her being there could rally the Catholics, but then she still has to deal with the Protestants.
Flag
You're right, she was in France pretty much from when she was about 5 until after Francis died. I probably should have made more explicit my thought process is more about what could have happened with Scotland if Mary had made different choices rather than what actually happened in real life. After all, that's the best part about this show, besides all the craziness :)
Mary still had a lot of family ties/allies beforehand, and she was careful after she returned to Scotland to give Protestants serious respect/power, including having her brother James be her chief counsel. If the process had started sooner, before the death of her mother who the Protestants hated (which was before Francis died) and while she was still married to Francis and was able to balance Scottish and French allies as equals, she might have been able to build better trust/relationships and start earning respect with the Scots while still having the safety of French armies to fall back on. After Francis died, that option wasn't really there anymore. Not to mention all the Catholic claim to England's throne stuff, which the show's Mary is not interested in, which is super wrong historically. Also, as opposed to being super Catholic IRL, our Mary is ridiculously accepting for her times, which would be really important for building good relationships with the Protestants.
In reality, Mary's downfall with the Scottish lords was when she chose her Catholic cousin as her second husband (apparently a love match rather than a wise political decision), and later her third husband, who was the number one suspect for the second's murder, turned everyone, Catholic and Protestant, against her (Though he may have raped her to force the marriage. Poor girl couldn't catch a break :( .) People even tried to put her on trial for adultery/murder.
Anyways, the point is is that I'm hoping the show is going to have Mary continue to become more politically savvy/a better queen, and maybe have her story turn out a little better than actuality. Which is why I'm frustrated by her husband who isn't even a king yet preventing her from doing so, especially because we know how his story turns out soon. But the writers have given us serious entertainment so far, and maybe I should just accept that Mary's story has a super sad ending and try to enjoy the ride, and try not to view things from a post-feminist POV.
More +
Flag
Julian is Bluebeard. The babies didn't survive the births either, the dude killed them all for real. I'm interested to see how he spent several fortunes though. Lola's baby is also innocent, so I hope it survives.

Francis was a dick once more, not a surprise.

Lots of good stuff in the episode again, and hah how Bash and Kenna said it out loud: having each others backs. Yes, that's exactly what I was saying last week.
Flag
Did you also feel like Mary was a dick for taking his crown, and ultimately sending him into exile and putting his brother's life in danger?
Flag
Yes.
Flag
It's so interesting to me, that even as a Queen, Mary, being a woman, will still never be able to have full autonomy of her life. I mean, I realize that this show isn't prone to historical accuracy, but it's such an interesting dynamic of the time period that makes me appreciate the modern world so much more.

Also, you're crazy if you didn't think Catherine briefed Kenna on all the S&M moves, am I right?
Flag
I love that Reign, even with 22 episodes to fill, does so much plot in one episode. We had Penelope leaving, Catherine trying to kill Olivia, Olivia leaves, Bash and Kenna bond, the brothers are good again, assassination attempts on Mary, Mary gets locked up, Lola marries, but Lola actually had a brain this episode and realized something was up. Lola lost points when she bought what he was saying at the end, but hey Lola being smart for part of an episode is more than usual so I will give it to her. I only wish we'd see more of Greer. She's become the new Aylee in terms of not getting any plots.
Flag
When the wedding started I was also thinking I know that song and I loved this version of Royals it was nicely done and hope it get’s put on I-tunes.

Kenna at the start again only thinking about material things. I would have been happy if Bash gave me something meaningful without looking at the size, it showed that he cared. But she was redeemed at the end. He’s got the title, she’s got the land, nice teamwork, now they only need more money.

Liked Mary helping out the queen with the Bishop and stroking his ego. The one that walked in on Penelope wasn’t the real one right? Catherine had planned everything out nicely.
The servant informing Catherine her husband was tied up had me laughing so hard, and seeing him made it even better especially her commentary on it.

Francis locking Mary up in the same tower as Catherine earlier this season was priceless, but there goes the love in that marriage. How Catherine will be able to gloat about Francis locking Mary up .

Francis is into torturing these they, now I’ve seen it all.

How bad are the other servants going to threat Penelope now? And if I were Catherine or Kenna I wouldn’t trust anything she handled in the kitchen.

Trust James?: I don’t, but I don’t think he was in on it.
Francis love Mary: The girl, but also the queen when she’s being strong (if it doesn’t go against France)
Bash – Mary – Kenna: I’m changing my mind Benna was sweet at the end.
Lola’s hubby: You’ve got me thinking both. But I think it’s going to be something completely different they’re making it to obvious and Reign doesn’t do obvious.
Catherine: Lol, but how long has she gone without Nostradamus’ visions and suddenly he’s of great importance on top of that his visions are sooooo accurate.
Best dress: Liked Kenna’s first dress, hadn’t even noticed how modestly she was dressed until the king made a comment about it. I liked the simplicity of it. Also liked Mary’s necklace this episode simple but still an eye catcher. Hated Lola’s wedding dress, it was such a I’m pregnant and hiding it dress but let’s show of my bigger boobs.
More+
Flag
So I realized after watching this episode that I'm Team BASH all the way... You could put that boy with a broom and I would be down for it. There's just something about those pretty eyes, heart of gold, and humble beginnings that just does it for me. Bash with Kenna, Bash with Mary... I've gotten to the point where I don't really care. I just want him happy and being all noble. Bash is just a awesome character and a wonderful love interest for anybody (except Lola cuz she's still the worst in my book)..... LOVE BASH!!!
Flag
And...the way Francis put Mary first, was by doing what was neccessary to save her even though he knew she would resent him for it.
Flag
No, that's putting his own feelings first. You can't decide what's best for other people. You might think you know but honestly it's just interfering and controlling.
Flag
He definitely didn't put his own feelings first. He put her first. Sure, the way he did it was sh*tty and kind of a dick move. But, ultimately, he was doing what he thought and whole-heartedly believed was the only way to keep her safe. He didn't like doing it. I can assure you. He didn't want to. But he did, because even though he's a future king and she's a queen, and he claims that love is irrelevant in his life, there will always be a piece of The Girl and The Boy in each of them. And Francis chose to protect The Girl.

He gained nothing from locking Mary in a tower. In fact, he lost a lot. He lost his wife and the love of his life (if for that moment), the extra support/benefits of a strong Scotland, the stability of his wife's country and crown, and respect for himself.

So I'd say his feelings for himself were shoved to the bottom of the pile, and his feelings for Mary stayed at the top where they've always been. Yeah, it was a controlling and interfering thing to do, but I think most of us can agree that if Mary went to Scotland, they'd have found her body at the bottom of an ocean. So while I'm not proud of the way Francis kept Mary safe, I don't think it was the wrong thing to do. It may not have been right, but it wasn't wrong.

I don't think we should be railing on Francis for taking another's life into his hands. A) That's kind of what he's been raised to do. It's kind of the reason he was born. B) Mary did the exact same thing because she was so desperate to save his life. She took all his decisions away from him. C) The boy is just trying to things right. That's all he's ever done. He makes a ton of mistakes all the time. He truly believed this was the only way to save Mary.
More +
Flag
Totally agree. What Mary did to protect Francis was based purely on a prophecy. Francis uncovered cold, hard evidence of an assassination plot against his wife. Had he let Mary go, she most likely would have ended up dead. Besides locking her in the tower, I guess he felt he couldn't be sure she wouldn't try to escape through the passageways. His plan was to only lock her up temporarily until her brother left for Scotland. I totally don't trust her brother anyway since he was in such a hurry for Mary to come to Scotland and definitely didn't want Francis to come along.
Flag
I completely disagree with the idea that it was unfair to Mary to be locked in a tower by Francis. How is what he did in this episode any different from what she did to him in For King and Country when she went against his informed wishes and did what she thought had to be done to save him? Besides I think Francis was totally right. James was in on the plan. That's why he was so keen on getting Mary to travel without Francis. If Francis hadn't locked her in the tower she'd been assasinated. Francis was a good husband in this episode and saved Mary from her own impulsiveness and bull-headedness. Best thing about this episode was how Francis took control.
Flag
I agree her brother seemed to be tricking her to leave alone. Regardless of his actions Francis's motives are clearly keeping Mary in mind even if it doesn't seem like it toto her. I love all the Mystery. What kind of brain illness does thethe king have? Maybe syphillis causing brain damage? The king forced Francis's hand. I can't wait for the next episode!!!
Flag
It's not different. Mary was being an equal idiot believing some stupid prophecy, especially after Francis told him that he doesn't care about it himself. Why is Francis repeating the same mistakes that separated them the last time? I think that's a bit more stupid really.
Flag
Does anyone else wonder why Mary and Francis don't just go to Scotland and be an actual King and Queen there?? France has a king for now, albeit a crazy one, but still, there isn't a lot that Francis and Mary can do for France right now. Catherine seems to have it under control. I know it's not what's in the history books, so please don't berate me on that in the comments, but logically, it seems the best thing for their relationship. Then, there'd be no stupid Mash/Frary/Benna drama. I'm also pulling for a Greith reunion all the way!!! In Scotland, Mary could give Greer a title since she's her subject, and Greer could marry whomever she wanted.
Flag

To answer you're most pressing question:
I am entertained
Flag
Mary screaming Francis's name at the end was haunting.
Maybe it was the echoey quality or Francis's facial expressions.
But it was really really haunting.
Best episode so far in my book
Flag
IDK I'm still Bash/Mary all the way even though Kenna/Bash isn't terrible. I just want more heated making out.
Flag
Benna all the way
Flag
Kenna and Bash are totally the Seth and Summer of Reign! Just saying.
Flag
I heard, like, two beats of strings during Lola's and Julien's wedding and I was like, "No. They wouldn't—No, that can't even be—holy freaking crap. No freaking way. What the heck. No. What—"

Great job, Reign, for trying to class up a freaking pop song. Never mind that the song is kind of about not having class. Whatever. Still works. Anybody else actually throw up their arms in defeat? Because I did. Their use of "Royals" was so freaking shameless I actually paused the episode and clapped. Regardless, I still loved the episode.
Flag
I always felt the song was about not being royal or rich after checking the lyrics. The song makes me think of Reign whenever I hear it. My thought? It's about time that song got played.
Flag
I am all about Kenna/Bash! Their scenes are always a highlight and I'm so invested in that coupling. I honestly hope that Bash doesn't develop feelings for Mary again. Also, does anyone else find it hypocritical that both Mary and Francis put their countries first yet can't seem to respect the fact that the other does?
Flag
Does the French army in next week's preview mean that Leith is going to be back? Yes please!
Flag
Staff
Man I hope so. Maybe Greer will marry him after all on the down low.
Flag
I read on Laurie McCarthy's (the show creator) twitter that we haven't seen the last of Leith. Plus, Adelaide/Mary said in an interview recently that a hero from earlier this season returns to court. It HAS to be Leith! Hopefully he saves Francis' life and gets a freaking title so Greer can ditch Lord Peppercorn!
Flag
Amen! Anything would be possible if Leith were to distinguish himself on the field of battle, What a great way to make him a hero and a suitor who would be "worthy" of Greer.
Flag
Per the www.thefutoncritic.com, the episode description "Higher Ground" airing May 1, reads that Francis find an ally in Leith when Francis leads France in a battle against England. Yay!!
Flag
I loved this episode and Francis you are officially a d*^%, you locked her in a tower she's not rapunzel. I love bash I always have and he deserves to be happy but I'm not convinced he can be with Kenna I want bash and Mary together, I want them together for so many reasons but the major two are to stick it Francis and because they are so good together they are a match. Mary's brother is hot like "hello " hot hope he sticks around. Now the answer to the Q Francis loves the notion of Mary the girl because she can be controlled but Mary the queen is strong and defiant, she is a true queen and he can't control that, bash needs to find out what he did save Mary and punch Francis in the head.
Flag
I love mary and Francis. Their love isn't easy but they work their assess off to make it work. Completely accurate history Francis would already be dead at 16 from an ear infection and Mary marries her first cousin I hope they spin off their own way
Flag
I have a feeling this show will follow bits of history by possibly killing Francis however follow their own path by her marrying Bash????? My hope any way. This show along with Arrow goes with portions of fact and then mixes it up.
Flag
I completely respect your opinion. I'd just like to say that first. However, I have to disagree with you. Francis loves Mary The Girl. Very much. Like, a lot. But he also loves Mary The Queen. Also a lot. You can tell by the look on his face every time Mary shows her authority and power as a queen. He's really damn in love with her. He loves his naive Just a Girl Mary and his headstrong, powerful Queen Mary. Hell, you could even tell he loved Queen Mary when she was screaming at him (and rightfully so) and asking him whether he thought her a sneaking rat. The look on his face when he answered, "Not like a rat. Like a defiant queen," showed that he loved her and was extremely proud of her. He was proud of her for fighting back. Because he didn't want to lock her in the tower. He didn't like doing it, because, I mean, honestly, it was a pretty shoddy thing to do.

Francis has never asked Mary whether she loves Francis The Boy or Francis The Dauphin. This episode was just a huge parallel to episode nine, when Mary took all of Francis's power and ability to make decisions away from him to keep him safe. Francis did the same thing in this episode as Mary did to him in "For King And Country." Except, you know, he didn't take her crown, her safety, her birthright, and her love away from her. Also, he didn't get himself engaged to her brother.

I'm not saying locking her in the tower was the best thing to do. I'm not even saying it was remotely close to good. All I'm saying is that if we're going to label Francis an a-hole for locking Mary in the tower, we kind of, by right, have to label Mary one too. You know, because she basically did the same thing except worse to Francis.

Anyway, it's always cool to see different opinions on things. :)
More +
Flag
I also respect and understand your opinion, I think depending on which characters we support more over the others defines how we preserve what's happening in the episode, see I don't like Francis and his motives where I absolutely adore Bash and every thing he does.
Flag
It is complicated. However, when Mary took "his future crown", for the sake of saving him, she did it with the approval of the King and his ambitions in having England. Another factor was the meddling of Queen Catherine, who wanted to kill her to "save" her son and then told her about the prediction of Nostradamus. In this matter, what changes is that she is Queen of Scotland not a princess. She has to make decisions (good or bad), because she is a ruler (not the same situation as Francis who is a prince). It is not a question of love but of taking away the decision of a ruler of a country which Francis took away from her.
Flag
In reality, while Mary is technically the Queen of Scotland, she has no more power in Scotland than Francis has in France. He probably has more because sometimes Catherine and the crazy king are willing to let Francis make decisions. Even if she went to Scotland her mother still has all the power until the ruling Lords determine that Mary is of age and turn the power over to her.
While Mary may be in danger anywhere, if she goes to Scotland without anyone she knows she can trust that would be a very risky move. She literally knows no one in Scotland and can't even agree with/trust her own mum.
And in reality, this is part of the reason her rule in Scotland ended so badly. When she finally went to Scotland she had no one to advise her. Everyone including her uncles in France and her brother, James, were in it for their own power not to help Mary or Scotland.
Flag
Absolutely. However, I was just stating the fiction side of the story. In reality, she was brought up in France, married the dauphin (who died young) and was very much advised by the Guise. After his death, she was sent to Scotland. She married for "love" with Darnley (perhaps her cousin Elisabeth was behind it) and then Bothwell and as we know very well, both relationships ended badly. She was a Catholic French in a Protestant Scottish court...and the choice of husbands didn't go well....
Flag
Your right he took her right to save her people, whether there was danger to her life or not he took her choice away from her.
Flag
Interesting point! That does change things slightly. She is Queen now and he should not have taken her freedom away.

I still would argue what she did to Francis was more severe and worse. What Francis is doing in taking away her choice may have permanent repercussions on her rule but what she did was meant to definitely have repercussions on his(by taking away his future), another thing that should be considered if we are comparing the situations. I also don't think that in Mary's case we can blame Catherine or Henry. Mary chose to believe Catherine and she chose to force the king's hand to change the line of succession to get what she wanted.

It is for sure complicated though.

Flag
I agree with your comment and it is definitely complicated.
However, it is not about comparing who did what to the other. I believe it is more about survival. The reality is that Queen Catherine has already attempted on Mary's life in order to prevent the marriage and that she cares about him. In order to avoid all that, she thought of this "great" idea of disinheriting Francis. I certainly don't believe it was a great idea but it was approved by the King himself (his father).
However, in this situation, we are talking about her country which is under her rule. Even if it was for a good cause, I believe Francis should not have imprisoned the ruling Queen of a country.
Flag
Her being a Queen does not change anything. Francis only wanted her to stay put until James left and then he said they would go together. Mary took his crown which forced him into exile and put his brother's life in jeopardy, it's no difference. I would say what she did to him is worse.
Flag
I agree with this so hard! As I was watching I was laughing at all the parallels the writers made.

Mary did the exact same thing to Francis but worse for the exact same reason. It sucked when she did it and it sucks now when Francis is doing the same thing!
Flag
Oooo! I like this! I like your passion too! :D Even if this isn't exactly what I'm hoping for myself, I certainly wouldn't object! ((big smile)) [On a side note: Hi Michelle! Always a pleasure reading why you post! Makes me smile] You bring an interesting point though. I wonder if Bash will find out? I wonder if he'll do anything? Pretty sticky if he inserts himself into their disagreements...lol
Flag
:) hi I'm glad my rambling thoughts which are sometime nuts make you smile.
Flag
Oh writers, this is how you explore the tension between love and duty, Well played.

Not to waste my breath here but Francis loves both Mary the girl and Mary the Queen. The choice will always be between duty and love for both he and Mary. That is their fate as rulers. As much as she is Scotland, he is raised to be France. That will always drive the push and pull of their relationship. The love and connection they feel tested against the duty they were raised to hold sacred. Their best scenes together are always the ones in which they are strategizing and working together- when they can fight for and on the same side. In each other, they have found a home, a safe harbour, but also a person who can understand and share their duty... unless their duties come into conflict.

I was totally annoyed when the writers showed that Francis/Bash scene because we already know what Bash could offer Mary- putting her first. Mary knows it as well and still she choose Francis, knowing his duty to France. I was sitting on my couch telling Francis to put France first just as Mary but Scotland before Francis last week(and yet no one gave her flack for). She loves him as a man but also the king he will grow to be and part of that is loving and accepting that duty will come first to both of them. I don't think it diminishes their relationship nor should it.

I was super pissed at the ending but I totally give credit to the writers for the parallel they are creating. Mary took away Francis' agency and his choice when she left him to protect him in 1x07 and now he does the same thing here- taking away her choice to save her life. We see what you did their writers with all your echoing. They even had Mary call his name desperately as he walked away and parallel to Francis yelling for her in 1x07. I really wish Fancis hadn't locked her up because he took away her choice and it pissed me off as much as it did when she did it to him in 1x07.

On to happier things, the Kenna/Bash was wonderful and sparkly. Kenna has grit and spine and I like that Bash respects that. I adored when Kenna got the ring back and I love the subtle development of their trust/relationship.

I feel bad for hipster Nostradamos who will be retreating to his rooms to play, "ain't no sunshine when she is gone" on loop. Talk about sad- why can't good things happen for him?

Lola's husband is SHADY. i am glad she is showing some suspicion.

I adore the way the writers constantly parallel Francis and Mary. Aside from the obvious in this episode, another great example is when Mary talking to her brother calls Francis, "Scotland's king, my king". When Francis is questioning the servant for information on the plot, he calls her, "My Queen, my Mary." Yes, we get it writers, as stated in almost every episode- they belong to each other.
More+
Flag
LOVE your post! And my Frary side agree 100% with all of this! (I apologize to my fellow Mashites for my two-faced-ness which has actually become three-faced-ness b/c I'm also team Benna to some extent but these are the Knots this show ties me into so I'm just going with it.)

Sunnyday, I love the Francis/Mary parallels you pointed out in your paragraphs 4 & 8. Had you not, I would have forever missed it so thanks! My fray side will enjoy re-watching this eppy even more! The "My Queen, my Mary." is solo swoon worthy! :thud: Too bad Francis was torturing a man so close to when he said it! (bad writers! bad!)
Flag
Hahaha. The torture did diminish the swoon of the moment. I'm not sure I have the phrasing 100% correct but when Francis points out the money the servant holds is English thus not featuring his Queen Mary I was struck by it.

And you are not a hypocrite, I still love Mary/Bash scenes though I am not keen on how Mary treated Bash and how Bash treated Francis. Each brother has something appealing to him, Francis is duty and candor and a surprising romantic heart, and Bash is loyal, noble, and underneath it sweet.

Also, I too am surprisingly digging the Brenna. She respects him more than Mary ever did and in turn he allows her character to show more depth then we have seen. She seems more a woman with him and less a spoiled, selfish, girl.
Flag
LOVED the return of the Bash/Francis bromance btw. Even if it was a difficult conversation for Bash, it needed to happen and I'm glad it did. I also thought it was especiallly cute the way they had Bash unintentionally drawing parallels between Kenna and Mary and in essence explaining his attraction/feelings for each saying of Kenna "she is beautiful but damnablely willful and headstrong but there's something not right about someone else telling me who to spend my life with not to mention that she's been with a member of my own family" and then to have Francis clarify the parallel by responding "you'll forgive my lack of compassion but I'm not sure you are bemoaning your situation with Kenna or mine with Mary!" Oh the mashy bones that we were thrown! Coming from honest conversations between the brothers at that! This show is so awesome! It's amazing that Francis could admit to Bash that he would have been the better husband for Mary and it's equally awesome to hear Bash clearly tell Francis to "be a bad King" for Mary's sake which is/was his own solution to the "love of country or woman dilemma." Bash essentially says Mary, the woman/queen is worth turning one's back on Fance for! WHOA! Anyway, I respect Fancis' responses in all his conversations with Bash and am finally able to truly like him again. :)
More+
Flag
I really liked the boys talking to each other again, too. I had been missing that.
Flag
Benna has my support. For now, I don't really find myself hoping that Mary and Bash would cross paths at all, for Kenna's sake I guess. I think she reeeeally likes him :) she just want all the superficial trappings as well and I don't blame her. The rest of an entire life time is a long time and practically speaking you need land and other wealth of your own to survive no matter what.

I am however still waiting on some uncomfortable/Kenna-style inappropriate scene where Kenna brags to the other ladies in Mary's presence about Bash's bed skills lol. Fingers crossed for that! :D

Whenever Mash does return I want it to be full of impact rather than just little heres and theres that have no real meaning. Even if it's just a dream sequence where they're dreaming of each other or if they are able to truly be together somehow after Francis isn't around... but I don't want a Mash affair during Frary's marriage that's just too awful and Francis wouldn't deserve that.

Flag
This show is really cool and makes me feel odd things at times that probably don't fit. I started out enjoying Frary while hoping for Mash. Then LOVED Mash and HATED Frary and now I'm liking Frary again but in an episode where Francis ultimately locks Mary in a TOWER???!?!?!?!!! WTH?
Flag
In a rousing sword scrimmage betwixt Frances and Bash, Frances admitted that, as a king, he couldn’t put Mary first, not truly. Bash was like “Hahaha, twist the knife more please if you possibly can, remind me that Mary didn’t choose me but I ultimately would've been better for her, hahahaha.”

LILY this was just too good! Evenfor you! This had me laughing to the point of crying but still laughing and then laughing even more at the pics and captions below! So good, I have to throw back to the 90s and say: You DA BOMB girl you DA BOMB! :)
Flag
Benna, ALL THE WAY!! Thank god, the writers didn't make Bash into a pathetic lovesick fool waiting for Mary's little crumbs of attention.
Looks like its Freaky Friday or something as I have started liking Kenna!!!!
Best TV show.
Flag
Say what you will about Francis, he knows how to win an argument.

Mary: Blah Blah Scotland blah blah
Francis: Blah Blah France blah blah
Mary: Blah Blah Blah
Francis: Lock her in the tower!

Flag
Lolz
Flag
Oooh Lily, I love your Sartre play reference. There's a great quote from the play that goes "I'm giving you my mouth, my arms, my whole body— and everything could be so simple.. .My trust! I haven't any to give..." I think it's apt when it comes to Mary and Francis. As boy and girl, man and woman, they've given each other everything. As Dauphin of France and Queen of Scots, they don't entirely trust each other and are both so very stubborn. While in most royal marriages it was the political alliance that bound the marriage, here it's the bond between husband and wife that's holding a very fragile political alliance together. It's a different kind of relationship discord and I think it's terrific of the CW to take on such an ambitious conflict.
I liked everything about this episode and everyone in this episode. Every performance and story was solid. Reign, you are so good.

Flag
"the cw's best show" i agree with that very much
Flag
  • How sweet of Bash to give Kenna his grandmother’s ring because he wants to try and make it work. Then at the end for Kenna to make sure she got it back from Penelope the lowly kitchen whore.
  • I was glad for Penelope to get knocked down. I mean really, to want Kenna’s ring even though she could have gotten a more expensive one from Henry all because she was jealous of Kenna was just pathetic. She really should have known better than to listen to Kenna and disregard Catherine. It proved to be her downfall. I wonder if Catherine will kill her later or if she believes that just letting her go back to being a servant is enough where she can make life miserable for her.
  • Catherine, what can I say but brilliant as usual. Her reaction to seeing Henry bound by the neck, legs and arms was hilarious. For a man who was sick of women controlling him, he sure didn’t mind being bound and smacked around, or told what to do (getting Kenna’s ring) by a member of the kitchen staff. To use god as a means to get rid of Penelope was a smart move given Henry’s feelings about god at the moment in his madness. Catherine was right; to kill her outright while still in Henry’s favor would not have been good for her.
    • Henry's madness is definately getting worse.
  • I figured that Catherine would bribe Kenna into helping her. It is a benefit for her and Bash though. To be able to leave when they want. To have a nice estate and more money since Bash’s position was just so made up title. Kenna is slowly starting to grow on me again.
  • I understand the need for Mary to go back to France, but she should know that even family can stab you in the back if necessary. I know that we do not officially know if James knew about the hit on her (although he was nervous about Francis coming along) but she does need to be more wary (for goodness sakes, she’s lived with Catherine for how long now). I thought her attitude at the end of the episode was a bit childish. I mean, I don’t necessarily like the way Francis handled it locking her up, but he was actually trying to put her first to possibly save her life.
  • Francis was actually trying to be what Bash could have been for her. He really did try to put her first. He seems to have learned something from his mother in the way he found out about the assassination plot. I mean, torturing someone while offering them money if they tell the truth. Bringing up the fact that he could pay for more courtesans.
  • Lola has the right to be suspicious of Julian. I mean, first the fact that he was ok with her pregnancy. Not wanting to reveal any family information. Then finding out the necklace was a fake. He might be ok with the pregnancy in hopes that she too would die in childbirth. The question is did he have anything to do with making sure his former wives had a painful and bloody childbirth that resulted in death?
    • At least she was smart enough to withhold her dowry. I liked her comments about how women couldn’t handle money, while commenting how men about how men gamble and pay for prostitutes yet her father’s money manager did not seem to get it.
    • I am still a bit confused as to why he married Lola but not Greer. I mean, Greer may not be titled but her family does own what half of Scotland? Yet he dumps her when he finds her with Leith. Yet, Lola is pregnant with another mans child (whose name she has not divulged) and he is ok with that and marries her. Does he figure that she might divulge the fathers name and he can blackmail her or someone else to get money? Does he figure that with Lola he would not have to get her pregnant in order for her to possibly die in childbirth? Will he find a way to get her dowry and then slip something to her so she will die in childbirth?
  • Nostradamus can’t seem to catch a break with women. Just as he seems to fall for someone, they die/could die. I have to wonder though, if Olivia had stayed what event could have caused her and others to die. Will she end up dying because he sent her away instead of keeping her at court? Will she come back and then die?
More+
Flag
Just love the show! Really like to see Bash be happy too! And how cute is that husband of Lola!
Flag
Ahem…old timey fronce chamber music version of Lorde's Royals….
Flag
I'm just glad that they FINALLY played the song on this show. Every time I hear it on the radio, it makes me think of Reign!
Flag
That was AWESOME wasn't it? I had to rewind and listen carefully b/c I was like "I know I know that song" in my head but I couldn't place it at first... and then when I did! I was just so happy :D
Flag
Yes! I noticed this too and found it hilarious that they managed to work it in with violins and pretend it's a classical number instead of just playing it in the background like they normally would do. Very clever Reign
Flag
Yeah I found that hilarious and distracting. But it kind of worked.
Flag
Dear God I actually like Kenna now
I'm actually rooting for her and Bash
I don't know how/when this happened
Flag
LOVED IT! The last scene was fantastic! I surprised at how much I like Bash and Kenna together. I hope they get a real love story. Seriously, who is the tennis player?
Flag
I think the tennis player is Henry's brother. Henry's older brother Francis died after drinking a glass water during a tennis match, mysteriously. Some suspected poison, some suspected tuberculosis.
Flag
  • I agree it probably is Francis. With no forensics back then its not like they could have tested him to see if it was poison. There is ample evidence though that he died of natural causes, one of which could have been tuberculosis . He apparently never fully recovered his health from when he was held hostage with his brother in Madrid.
  • What I wonder though is if it is Henry's brother Francis, then why is he not wearing all black? It was well known that both Henry and Francis were traumatized after their ordeal in Spain being kept in a dark, dank dungeon. Francis apparently became bookish after that and took to wearing all black like the Spaniards. I mean its not like having the man wear all black is difficult for the costume designers.
Flag
It is definitely the older brother, why else would he be holding a tennis racket? What is interesting is that the writers are clearly planning to suggest that Henry had a hand in his death. There is, as you have said, no evidence of this in real life but. there were many rumours that Catherine had done it. That's because it was one of the attendants who had accompanied her to France from Italy when she moved to marry Henry who actually handed the glass of water to the brother. But there is nothing else to suggest she was involved and she was very young at the time. She got blamed for a lot of things she didn't do. Not sure why the hallucination sn't shown in black but that's a pretty minor detail when you consider the many brazen historical inaccuracies on this show. Even so, this show is completely addictive and although I could have done with a lot more Catherine (she is so great--who knew Anne of Green Gables could be so evil?), this was an excellent episode. It's true the look on Francis' face at the end was haunting, almost reminiscent of the mid season finale "Fated" when he fell to his knees as Mary rode off with Bash.
More +
Flag
Interesting, I didn't know that about the all black! But I think the way he is dressed is a traditional tennis outfit from the period - 16th century gym clothes.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I've heard it's his brother that he screwed over or something?
Flag
I always thought it was Henry as a younger version of himself, but maybe it's just me
Flag

Mr Robinson buckler restored my relationship, last month, i was having serious issues with my boyfriend, my relationship was falling apart and i was devastated. My lover broke up with me and it became a very big and difficult problem i almost died from heartbreak, i have to find a solution, I went to 3 different spell casters they all failed me, I really wasn’t sure anymore if spells were real so as i was making a search one morning i saw some great reviews about Robinson, I was a bit skeptical at first but I purchased a love spell from this spell caster and he said he will take his time to do a love spell that will bring my man back in 3 days, after 3 days as he said my lover reconciled with me, It felt good to have my lover back, when he returned he said he would never leave me again. I saw him transform from a bad guy to a good guy. happiness is the best word to describe how I feel, contact robinsonbuckler@yahoo.com or call his Number + 19715126745, he will save your relationship
Flag
Follow this Show
Members