A Reign Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

Reign S01E19: "Toy Soldiers"

I feel like both a geography and an anatomy major after the extremely steamy/educational “Toy Soldiers.” This delightful sour candy of an episode volleyed between extremely wrought, bitter moments between Mary and Frances and truly sweet stuff happening everywhere else. We had Catherine making peace with the Bean Queen and recognizing her considerable savvy talents, we had Peppercorn being every girl’s dream suitor, and we had an apparently 16-hour lovemaking session betwixt Bash and Kenna. I mean, they started undressing sometime around noon and aside from Bash getting some water and presumably Power Bars at one point, I think they were steady sexing until brunch time the next day! Maybe I’m getting old, but doesn’t a nonstop 24 hours of sex sound sort of like a death sentence? But perhaps no moment was more adorable than the slow motion snowball fight in which each lady’s cape was more beautiful than the last.

It was nice to see a moment’s relief and establish that Mary had had a month to deal with Frances pulling rank on her. The girls also got a chance to reflect on the crazy twists of fate that had befallen them since they all sat around talking about their first kisses at the top of the season.

However, more troubles were on the horizon for Mary and Frances, as a page who may have been one of Macklemore’s ancestors approached with, you guessed it, bad news. Catholic Queen Mary de Guise was at the mercy of Protestants, and at that time obviously Protestants felt about Catholics the way, say, that people today who are really into organic food might feel about a MacDonald’s franchise owned and operated by Satan. With her mother’s life and therefore her reign in Scotland once again in a sketchy place, Mary appealed to Frances for a solution. 

But Mary had no time to wait for Catherine to cut a check, she decided instead to contact her warmongering Uncle, Christian de Guise, known far and wide for being the most ambitious and tannest man in Fronce. I mean, look at that beautiful sun-kissed color on Gil Darnell!

But more importantly he was a ruthless throne-snatcher and power-grasper or whatever people in charge call their opponents when those opponents are both ambitious and effective. Basically Frances did not want Christian de Guise anywhere near his court, but Mary was starving for Scottish justice, and when you are truly starving you throw caution to the wind and just order Domino’s and mad-dog the pizza tracker ’til it shows up.

Catherine was all vexed, like, “You have let the devil in this house! Or should I say another devil because between my crazy husband and your scheming braidy-ladies we might as well just drape a giant flirty tanktop over the castle reading ’99% ANGEL,’ am I right?” 

Nooo, that wasn’t a line but Catherine was cracking up every time she came on scene. Megan Follows’ dry, superior deliveries really pop with the withering dialogue she’s been delightfully doling out each episode, and Queen Catherine as a character just keeps getting better and better. Maybe my favorite B-story was her dealing with Penelope, the Disgraced Former Bean Queen who was trying to pregnancy-scare her way back into King Henry’s favor. Catherine gave her a harsh but necessary reality check by having her briefly thrown in the tower, but by the end of the episode Penelope was recruited into Catherine’s elite honeytrap agent circle, the Hoez who Knowz, a.k.a. the Flying Squad.

It’s another facet of Queen Catherine’s infinite lovability that she is definitely not a hater. She will crush you if you get in her way, but ultimately she finds the good in people and puts it to excellent use.

Meanwhile, Greer’s dad showed up and got straight to the business of publicly shaming her, I guess because he had not yet learned she was engaged to Santa Claus. 

Lord Castleroy was throwing around 100,000-franc fortunes like so much confetti and lavishing Greer with praise right in front of her disapproving dad, and like, he enriched her whole family? And then he made it a condition of their marriage that she get final approval on her sister’s betrothal and her own (awww), causing them to have a genuine super sweet little kiss and RED ALERT DANGER CASTLEROY DANGER IS NIGH.

Everything would ONLY go this awesome between him and Greer if some truly terrible fate is about to befall their courtship. Either Greer is going to risk locking lips with Leith again, or Castleroy’s going to get a rare spice-related form of ebola or I don’t even know. I just feel deep in my bones that this “Things Couldn’t Be Going Any Better” motif = disaster for these two. No escaping it! This episode is like a Pizza Tracker of Doom, Greer and Castleroy. Of course, Reign has subverted my expectations before, so perhaps I’m wrong. I’d PREFER to be wrong. I just want my little Pepperpot to be okay.

Before Frances could secure a Western Union cash wire from his mom, King Henry literally rattled a saber and declared a war on England via the recapture of Calais. It is no secret that Mad King Henry is becoming one of the most entertaining elements of the series, his feisty loud-n-proud mania providing an elegant balance to Catherine’s restrained, self-possessed psychopathic tendencies. 

Catherine reassured Frances that she’d already gone ahead and usurped the allegiance of the king’s generals, but amidst all this “Don’t Look at the Man Behind the Curtain I am the Great and Powerful Wizard of Valois” scrambling, Mary’s Scottish interests were getting pushed to the back burner—not to mention that Crazy King Henry snapped into coherence long enough to tell Mary off, like in the last act of 8 Mile. So Frances made a selfless bargain with the sun-kissed de Guise: He promised Mary’s uncle a place in his cabinet when he was king if de Guise would help protect HIS OWN SISTER in Scotland. Frances even insisted he would come along for the little ol’ war. Mary was massively grateful.

But that was before Frances realized that King Henry had actually managed to send a few pigeons out the window/somehow actually dispatch troops to Calais, regardless of his inability to keep pants on, and Fronce would need reinforcements simply to forestall a full-blown war with England. “Mary will just have to understand,” Frances said, convincing nobody, least of all himself, that Mary would understand. Rather than understanding, Mary gave perhaps the most damning speech of the series, bewailing her choice to marry Frances and bitterly regretting that her love for her husband had compromised her sagacity as a ruler. Adelaide Kane was incredible in this moment, and Toby Regbo projected genuine hurt. Plus, like, more money more problems. I mean, look at Kenna and Bash, not a penny in the world, not a responsibility, litearlly nothing to do except have sex for an entire episode! My lord that looked uncomfortable, one shouldn’t break in one’s loved one’s genitals like a new baseball glove, is what I believe, but different strokes for different folks. There HAVE to have been 16th-century Red Bulls just out of frame. All I’m saying on that point.

So now that Mary has recommitted herself to being more a queen than a wife, I suspect this will come to a head as we move toward the season finale. But first, some questions...

QUESTIONS:

... Lord Castleroy: Uh-oh, what’s going to happen with him and Greer?!

... A 24-hour bout of sex: Is this a case of the crime also being the punishment?

... Pregnancy scare for Mary in the cards?

... Will Kenna ever completely win Bash over, or is his heart still singing “I’m a Slave 4 U” to Mary secretly?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

95 Comments
Comments (95)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Lily, your reviews are tremendously hilarious and always so accurate - I don't watch Once Upon a Time or True Blood but I'm almost tempted to try them out just so I can read your reviews of those too.

I've been so impressed with this show - the acting, the writing and my god those clothes! That said, one of my favorite parts is reading your reviews after I watch each episode. Smart and sassy is my jam, I can't wait to catch up on the rest of the season and the rest of the reviews.
Flag
I think Lord Castleroy will die after marrying Greer which will leave her with his money and then she will marry Leith so that they can be together.
Castleroy is too good to stay on TV without something happening to him.
Any scenes with Bash and Kenna I am happy with so 24h sexcapade is fine with me!
I hope Mary does have a kid with Francis at some point (even though it is not historically accurate)
I think that Bash still has feelings for Mary that is for sure however I really think that with some time he can come to love Kenna too (at least I hope so) so that he can move on from Mary
Flag
Shocked to hear 2 weird things that were out of place for the time: Mary says. "well that's just too bad!" pretty sure that wasn't a teenage phrase back then....also Catherine refers to a "flying squad" what??? This wasn't WW II. But I guess we already know the show is not historically accurate....
Flag
Actually, the Flying Squad is the one thing they got right. Catherine De Medici did indeed have a network of female spies who seduced men for information and they were actually called the Flying Squadron. It's well documented.
Flag
"flying squad" I can't help but see it as another word for the birds... kinda like carrier pigeons for the queen.
Flag
"The King has left the Castle!" That line was too funny! Even though Henry is causing havoc left and right, I'm really going to miss him! I have a feeling he'll die in the season finale, Once Francis is King, maybe it won't be as difficult in protecting Scotland. His plan would have worked had Henry not thrown a wrench into things. As I stated further down, I understand that Mary has to put Scotland first but Francis has to do the same for his country which he warned her about early on. That's why he tried to keep her at arms length initially. It's ironic that in their last scene together, she was making his arguments for him of why he did what had to do because she understands.

So Lola stated that it was almost a month since Francis locked Mary in the tower and she's still not showing? And where was Julian? Did they not go on a honeymoon at all? I know there was a lot going on in the episode but they kind of left it hanging.

I like Castleroy more each time I see him but I have a feeling Leith will be back at the Castle. He'll probably be rewarded for bravery in battle with a land and title and Greer will have to choose between the two....another love triangle!

I like Bash and Kenna together but it's kind of funny how much skin they showed! During Mary and Francis' Consummation scene, they wore giant tents! lol The extended version only showed a little more skin.

More+
Flag
I'm shipping Castleroy n Greer
He's a nice guy :)
Flag

Yes Bash is still thinking of Mary but man did he looked perfect with Kenna. They are both super duper atractive and have tons of stamina cause they just fooled around the whole episode god I would have absolutely loved an scene where someone asked "Where's Bash? Haven't seen that guy in like days"
And wouldn't be hilarious if Kenna got pregnant?
Lord Castleroy reminds me of Bilbo, so I like him he seems like extremely nice so I guess he is going to die
A 24 hour bout of sex... cool? I mean if you can handle it but I would recomend tons of liquids and creams and breaks
Sure Mary would think "I'm pregnant!" but it would be just a scare
I hope Bash would eventually stop thinking about Mary, but yes he can only think about her while singing "why won't you love me"?
Flag
Loved this episode. I actuallly like the direction the show is going in now. It had started to get too wrapped up in the love triangle drama. Now it is politics and war and scandal.
Queen Catherine is simply amazing. And Henry recognizing that he needs to stop forgetting to put on his trousers was priceless.
Kenna and Bash are so hot. I loved her line about when he is touching things with his ha ds while working she wants him to wish that he was touching her. Calinente!!
I agree Lily they are approaching their situation in a mature fashion and not hiding who and what they really are from each other as a lot of people do when courting.
As a big of a Frary fan as I am i still enjoyed the ride that the couple have bee on. He locked her in the tower a d she found a way to forgive him. He has bee actively trying to please Mary and put her firts, but u fortunately theybare rulers and they don't get to have to only worry about making each other happy. This is why most royals typically only had consorts and ot sovereign companions. It seems an impossible task to not sacrifice either country or sposue. I genuinely felt hurt when Mary said she made a mistake when she married francis. But as she continued I understood where she wascoming from. She has always loved Francis and that is the mistake. For people like them love is a complication, which is what Francis told her in episode 3 and everyone wanted to be pissed at him for saying it, but he knew what he was talking about. She realized where they are...they are in love ut they both have countries to look out for. I believe as long as they continue to be completely honest and open with each other and remember that they both have countries to look after that they can find a way to still be happy. Here's hoping that they are mature enough to handle this.
More+
Flag
I'm not sure i'm that happy with the direction that Reign is going in, they seem to have forgotten all of the cooler stuff they were doing (prophecies, illegitimate children living in the tunnels, mysterious bloodwoods) for shock marriages and tudor politics. NOT happy Reign, NOT HAPPY AT ALL.

I think Kenna and Bash make a terrible couple, I'm just waiting for Frances to kick it so Mary can get back together with Bash. The series was the best when they were shacking up with a hopeful probably legitimising future. I am a fan of Pantless King Henry though.

And the BLOOD WOOD. Still don't know what's going on there...
Flag
Oh my golly gosh, I love Lord Castleroy. Please can I have him?
Flag
I thought it was really sweet how Bash treated Kenna in this episode, wanting to make it special and all. "Like a virgin" was playing in my mind, but honestly, that was a very gentlemanly thing to do. And also: really hot! I'm completely on board with their coupling. I think they could make eachother very happy. That is, as soon Bash actually gets over Mary.
I loved hoe Kenna was very aware that she was still on his mind. They are handeling their respective pasts very maturely and seem to be building a strong and respectful partnership. With crazy hot sex.

And also, I love Lord Castleroy, he is the best man ever! Sweet, kind and respectfull and I love how he is slowly winning Greers heart, to her own suprise. Which makes it even better. He seems like a good man and he could actually make her happy.

I hope Mary and Frances make it through. They are finding themselves repeatedly on opposite sides, making their marriage a lot of hard work. No honeymoon fase for kings and queens! But then again, if you can forgive your husband for locking you in a tower and impregnating your best friend, there may be hope for you still.
More+
Flag
Kenna and Bash are the two most attractive characters on the show. Their union is FLAWLESS!! and clearly so is their stamina but hey I'm not complaining... That never ending sex scene just kept getting hotter and hotter... I like how strong Kenna was at the end they seem like equal partners in their relationship which I admire as that was rare at the time. Kenna must be soooo PREGNANT after that because that's the type of sex that does that to you :P Anyway i think they are a lot better than MASH because their circumstances are simple their is no crown or country that will get in the way of them... That's why i see them going on for the long hall. I used to hate Kenna but now i really like her ... Bash makes her a better person and She shows Bash that there is more to life than pining over Mary. Match made in heaven if you ask me #KENNASH4EVA
Flag
Reign has gotten really good at balancing different the different themes/plots on the show. All of the political unrest and marriage problems with Francis and Mary were counterbalanced by the sweet Lord Casteroy lavishing Greer with love and respect and Kenna and Bash's sexcapades. Not to mention Catherine recruiting the Bean Queen and mad Henry.

Francis' expressions were gold in this episode, specifically the concerned/confused looks he had whenever he was talking with Henry. I
loved the scene where Henry was tapping his sword on the desk then stood up pantsless and confused as to why he kept losing his clothes. I mean as a King he would presumably be dressed by servants right? So it's a decent effort to keep losing items of clothing (without Penelope's help).
Flag
I'm going out on a limb here and siding with Frances on the whole "who's screwing things up the most" debate. Up until recently, Mary has been very level headed and capable of making the hard choices. But in these last couple episodes she has definitely been acting a little more like a raging hormonal woman (who knows? maybe she is finally pregnant). She knew, from the first episode that Frances would always put France before Scotland and, presumably, France before his relationship with Mary. Just as she would always put Scotland first. So doesn't it seem just a tad ridiculous that she is raging around demanding that he do everything to protect Scotland, even at the expense of France, and be totally okay with it? And when Frances (calmly and lovingly) disagrees but provides a perfectly logical compromise Mary pulls the whole why-can't-you-put-me-first card. It just seems like Mary is expecting a lot for nothing in return while constantly turning about on her "love you don't love you" carousel. Keeping in mind, I ever really liked Frances from the get go, but he is staying true to his character and his already stated obligations.
To tie this all up, could Castleroy be a potential serial killer or something?? Like what if he's just crazy and wants to lure Greer into his adorably polite and sweet trap? Then turn all psycho once he's got her locked down in a marriage she can't escape. After all, who really knows anything about him?
More+
Flag
I totally agree with you. Mary is being hypocritical. She wants Francis to put her ahead of France when she herself said she will not put francis ahead of scotland. It really erks me how she is behaving. It also pisses me off that Francis does not mention this to her. She is the future queen of FRANCE too now. She wants francis to make her his world , yet she will treat francis as second to scotland. I'm sorry but she is acting like a b****.
Flag
Yes, she is the future Queen of France and is also half French technically. I understand that Mary has to put Scotland first but Francis has to do the same for his country which he warned her about early on. That's why he tried to keep her at arms length initially. It's ironic that in their last scene together, she was making his arguments for him of why he did what had to do because she understands.
Flag
Just want to point out that the day this episode aired, 24 April, was the day Mary and Frances got married IRL.

Flag
If Greer makes even the smallest complaint about Castleroy after this she is the most ungrateful person ever. I like Greer, of all the ladies she is the best (except Aylee but we can't dwell on that). And I can understand her perspective a bit when she was complaining to Kenna. But after this episode, if she complains that he's not "young and attractive" again, she deserves to live alone in a little hut in the woods with the man beast thing. Bash and Francis are both great guys, but Castleroy beats them both :)
Flag
Oddly I think that Lord Castleroy is more attractive then Leith. I think if they changed his clothes up ... I think he is going to be super hot and very passionate. Pardon the pun but things are goign to spice up.
Flag
I find him more attractive, too, actually. He's so damn cute, and something about his eyes… I want to give him an eternal hug. I'm rooting for Castleroy and Greer more than Greer and Leith, oddly enough. Although both couples are perfectly fine.
Flag
I'm loving this new aspect of King Henry so much....it's hugely entertaining!
Flag
Love your reviews and questions, Lily. Thank you! Especially loved the dragons, you are just too good!
1. I guess Lord Julien did his research too and now we know why he used such a flimsy excuse to sidestep engagement to Greer. I fear Peppercorn is too good to be true. As the writers are smart, it will have to become sustainable/realistic or fall apart.
2. I thought the Bash and Kenna scenes worked with the storyline.
3. I think Mary not getting pregnant adds more tension.
4. Bash is too good at smoldering for them to let him get over Mary. It's also sweet, and we need someone who really loves her with politics not messing with it. She has so much peril, and we need her to be safe with someone.

Flag
Uh, Bash and Kenna didnt have a 24 hr sex marathon .They were taking it slow and just going to first and second base for most of the day. Only when Bash saw Mary with Francis on the balcony did he rush to Kenna to complete the deed out of jealousy/desperation/want-to-forget-what-i-saw/feel-by-f-ing-my-brains-out-and trying to replace--her-with-you.

While I do feel really bad for the couple, Bash and Kenna shkive me out and and I cringe when I see the two together.

And yes I'm a big Mary/Bash shipper, and an counting down the year for Francis' demise so that Bash could run off with Mary and continue being her number one confident through whatever else life will throw at her.

As for Greer and Peppercorn. I really, really hope that Peppercorn doesn't die anytime soon. That's horrible. I think she should have a happy life. After all, religion is so strong then and so is the importance of a woman's virginity at marriage. Thus Greer can be sanctimonious that bad things didn't happen to her because she went about sex the proper way (nor did she choose to sleep with the royal bloodline) and thus can lord it over the others at some point that maybe they are all being punished by God. I can totally see this argument happening some point down the line.

More+
Flag
  • Thank you for mentioning that Kenna and Bash were taking it slow and not just having sex, Bash left and then it was more sex. That is what i saw, not what was being described on the thread.
  • From what I heard, the writers said that the love triangle is done with, so Bash might end up staying with Kenna and working on their relationship some more.
  • I do like Castleroy so I hope they don't screw things up with him.
Flag
Awww such sad news. But......if we just need to wait until Francis dies off (how quickly does time move in this series?) than it will no longer be that triangle and just be Mary and Bash (with possibly Kenna or things can nicely not work out between them.)
I guess I can possibly be fine with Bash always being Mary's right hand man and just continue being devote and loyal to her.
With Francis dead I believe its the younger brother Charles? that takes over. So when that occurs I see no reason why Bash won't flee with Mary. He would not have his brother or father to protect him no more and only his mother and Mary are left to value him (since he doesn't seem close to his other half-siblings and I'm sure they are easily swayed by Catherine).

I assume Henry dies off near if not on the finale and Francis becomes king.
Does Francis die at the next finale or in season 3?
I don't think they would fake his death since they keep to the real timeline in terms of these things. I don't want to look up the history since I don't want to spoil things for myself anymore than I vaguely know or accidentally have come across.

However should they end up fleeing to Scotland, I am going to miss Catherine, but hopefully she'll be there a lot still. Oh, her sons would be underage so she might rule in their place for awhile.
Well we'll see.
More +
Flag
I doubt Francis's death will come very early in the second season. I would bet that his death would be the finale, or somewhere near the finale. Although, at the speed they're going, his death is looming larger and larger. I hate to be that person, but I just can't see Reign going past two seasons, especially with the big drop in ratings. I'm guessing that season two will be the final season, and that it'll finish with Francis's death. Which I am none too happy about.

I'm hoping they find a way to appease both corners of the Reign shipper camps (Mash/Mabastian vs. Frary), because as a devout Frary shipper I can say that it'd tick me off if Mary rebounded into Bash's arms right after Francis dies, and I think I can safely assume that a Mash shipper wouldn't like it if Mary completely ignored Bash after Francis's death. I hope they find a happy medium.

And as for the love triangle, yeah, I did read that article saying it was over, but I'm not buying it. This is The CW we're talking about. Practically all of their shows have to have at least a freaking love octagon or something. I don't think they're going to let go of pitting Bash against Francis. God. Brother love triangles are honestly the worst.
More +
Flag
it'd tick me off if Mary rebounded into Bash's arms right after Francis dies, and I think I can safely assume that a Mash shipper wouldn't like it if Mary completely ignored Bash after Francis's death.

I'm picturing they either have an affair first (or never completely physical ones since they are the best Catholics of the lot) or they hook up some time after Francis death. Possibly even after she is made to remarry again.

And as I said I'd be fine with them being each others' besties and decide their ship has sailed,is too risky,or just cant be done because of politics. Sure I'd be somewhat disappointed but I can see this as a likelihood that I can live with. But there is no way they can get officially married.
Flag
Oh as for love triangles they are a staple of fiction directed toward women. Men usually get an action man with a bevy of women - though instead of action man, nerd/outcast guy is typical outside EFLs.
Flag
Even in Asian dramas it often can be a triangle with brothers. Well, no, with Koreans especially, it very often is with first cousins.

A drop in the ratings?!?!?!? Really?!?!?! At what point!?!?!?!

Man I really hope it lasts more than 2 seasons. It's my favorite new show of the season and in my top shows to watch and wait for.

Well I don't think it would get cancelled next season unless all the new shows are super hits.
It falls 5th in the CW ratings behind the shows with a high male audience (Arrow, Supernatural) and Vamps (TVD, Originals). (I think The 100 is doing well but it only had like 4 eps so far so I'm not counting it.) And both TVD and Arrow have gotten ratings drop from the previous year.
Not only that, it is unique as it falls out of their usual wheel house by being a historical piece and having no fantasy elements. TVD&TO has flashbacks to historical periods which is probably is element that helps its popularity. Its three non-fantasy shows are all facing the axe (only HoD might be renewed and if so it might be to end it.) So since CW has been trying to branch out, I think they are keeping Reign.
More +
Flag
While I must admit Frary angst makes for freaking awesome gif-sets and good episodes (Adelaide and Toby are incredible together. Holy crap), I kind of wish Francis and Mary could have one episode where one of them doesn't screw up their happiness. I mean, I kind of get it. Kind of. They're both going to put their own countries first. Awesome. But Francis kind of doesn't have much time left. I'm going to estimate that it's been approximately six months since they got married. If we go by the snippets Nostradamus saw, Mary and Francis will be married for about a year (I mean, it's not historically accurate, but then what is on Reign?). That doesn't give them much time. Hears hoping Francis can find a way not to screw his marriage up and Mary can let him find that way during the second season.

Holy crap, I mean, Francis just can't do what he sets out to. Geez. The boy just can't do what he needs to to satisfy Mary. (Politically. I have no doubt he's meeting her needs in…other areas)

Speaking of other areas, kudos to Kenna and Bash for doing literally nothing else in this episode but each other. Their scenes were very cute (somehow, I mean even when she was whipping off her dress) and passionate. Caitlin and Torrance match Adelaide and Toby with chemistry and heat. Amazing.

A bunch of other people have already addressed the Bash/Mary vs. Bash/Kenna thing far more coherently than I ever could. And while I believe that it wasn't just his need to put Mary out of mind that made him go to Kenna for sexy times, I just have this to say. I find it interesting that when Francis ran to Olivia for sex to drown his love for Mary people called him a dick and an asshole and a slut who couldn't keep it in his pants, but when Bash ran to Kenna for sex after seeing his brother kissing Mary, no one said anything but, "Poor Bash, he's so in love with Mary." Just thoughts. I do love Bash, by the way, if anyone who read that took it the wrong way.
More+
Flag
Well. Great. That's supposed to say "Here's" in the last sentence of the first paragraph. God, I hate typos. Ugh.
Flag
If they stick loosely to the time line, Francis is King for about a year or two before he dies. So we have that to look forward to.
Flag
I love francis and mary together but I just kind of think that she and bash would have been better. And I thought when francis died later on in the show they might be together but I think the writers are leaning towards bash and kenna storyline more. I like bash and kenna , they have chemistry and everything but still !!! He doesnt look at kenna the same way he looks at mary .
Flag
I'm totally loving these new developments. Feels like a return to the beginning of the season showcasing all the girls (minus Aylee RIP) and letting us all enjoy a minute of beautiful capes and romance. Add in a ball and this episode would have been stellar. I'm hoping nothing happens to Pepperpot but I'm guessing that Leith is coming back from war. Ten bucks says he gets picked up during this conquest in Calais and ends up back at the castle just in time to make Greer assess what to do with a man that loves her deeply, would give her anything, but hasn't (yet) slit some guy's throat to make her think she hasn't killed someone. I'm betting he comes back with some major but not disfiguring war wound too...probably one that requires him to take off his shirt frequently to change bandages or something.
Flag
LOL i laughed so hard with the screencaps making GOT references and also the ones about the balcony XD ur reviews are always funny and entertaining
Flag
I think the actors that play Bash and Kenna are honestly the most attractive of all the cast. So I enjoy watching them together in that, that encompasses.
Really, their children would win the gene pool lottery.
Flag
It was a good episode, but I think I'm starting to get tired of the Mary/Francis angst. Castleroy is awesome and Alan Van Sprang is a joy to watch. That hilarious Daenerys photoset up there is a work of art. I have to say i didn't expect Kenna and Bash to spend the whole episode on some kind of sex marathon. I'm not sure what to make of Bash seeing Francis and Mary and then pouncing on Kenna like that but I think I approve. I'm choosing to see it as him finding closure.
TBH the most important Reign thing that happened this week was actually outside the show itself: I heard the showrunner said the love triangle from this point is pretty much over.

Flag
The Love Triangle will soon be over becuase Francis is going to die in some future episode. I think that Bash is always going to be Mary's secret love. Even if she marries others after Francis.
Flag
Yes I know that, but I really doubt they'll kill him off this season. Probably the end of next season. I don't agree that Bash is always going to be Mary's secret love. I used to be a big fan of Bash and Mary, but the show has repeatedly hit us over the head with the fact that Francis is the love of her life, and I accept it as canon although I've never been interested in their relationship.
She does marry after Francis.
Flag
Staff
Definitely for the best. Although I hope there are continued frissons of tension betwixt them, still I'm really feeling him and Kenna together. Even clothed!
Flag
Judging by the time Bash spends in the woods i expect him to break into Sounds Of Silence when he finally meets the Darkness.
Flag
and Paul would approve.
Flag
Staff
Flawless reference.
Flag
Fuck off the English throne, Mary, you Catholic fool!
Flag
Staff
I am a big fan of yours YRH
Flag
Lily! tsk tsk tsk!
i have patiently waited for your review and am disappointed that the only review of bash and kenna is the length of their stamina! haha while it is certainly impressive, we have MUCH to discuss! i'll leave the frary moments to others, ON TO KENNA AND BASH BECOMING KENNASH!

not that i was particularly happy about their forced marriage, i mean Kenna's tears broke my heart the night they were wed because it was beyond painful BUT, NEVERTHELESS, REGARDLESS i do feel their union brings together two personalities no one thought would align but astonishingly enough, their straight forward no bullshit is paying off. many were quick to cast Kenna aside due to her indiscretions and adolescents if nothing else (lets put into perspective for a moment that these kidlets are all still 16/17). i'm not saying she has been called stupid but Kenna wasn't regarded as the sharpest tool in the shed, yet last night, the girl who was forced to become a wife genuinely grew into her own as Mrs. De Poitier.

i was scrolling through tumblr reading all the reactions to kenna and bash and this one is by far my favourite. the blogger offers an understanding for those who instantly thought Bash slept with Kenna because he saw Mary and Francis (which i wont lie i did too but upon reading this i did sit back a second and think)
"I will agree that that is probably why he decided to sleep with her but not for the same reasons everyone is thinking. I do not think it was about Bash being jealous - I think it was him accepting that he and Mary are never going to happen and that he needs to let go of that part of him that is still holding on to her. Bash has been very open about the fact that he has feelings for Mary and Kenna is not blind to that. This episode was really about recognizing and trying to move on from that. Bash did not sleep with Kenna at first because he wanted to go slow and give Kenna the opportunity to forget the King and be there with him and solely him. After Bash sees Mary and Francis kissing, he recognizes that same thing within himself. I think another reason he did not want to sleep with Kenna was because it would be letting go of that chance with Mary and finally accepting that this is his wife and he needs to be with her. Sleeping with Kenna was not about jealousy but about letting go and moving on. That is not to say that Bash is completely over Mary, but it is a huge step in the right direction."
BRAVA KENNASH FAN BRAVA I APPLAUD YOU!

I wont say its not awkward, at the end of the day their history is just... DAMN IT TO HELL my kennash heart is bursting with feels!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but at the VERY LEAST they have enough respect for one another to not play ignorant to the HUGE elephants (yes more than one) in the room.
Bash knows of Kenna's past and upon Bash's abrupt nudge from Mary and Francis into Kennas arms and legs..... sorry i had too, she is woman enough to sense why Bash is suddenly the Trojan mascot.

not to be the bearer of bad news but there is something i feel i should share.... in an interview Laurie McCarthy had with TVLine, she dropped this bomb

"Speaking of desires, one thing you should not expect is a rekindling of Bash and Mary’s romance. “There will always be a lingering thing between them,” McCarthy admits, “but [Kenna] is going to find herself falling for Bash, and she’s going to be successful in getting him to fall for her. Our lives have chapters. People move on.”
SOMEONE PASS THE BOOZE, CHOCOLATE AND ICE CREAM!
I HONESTLY HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS IS GOOD OR BAD OR BOTH! MY FEELS ARE FEELING TOO MANY THINGS ALL AT ONCE!
someone hold my hand this is going to be a bumpy ride!!! either way i'll go down with this ship! both Mash and Kennash
More+
Flag
All I can say is that Kenna and Bash are by far my favourite couple on Reign, esp as they don't have any of the angsty arguments that Mary and Francis have every episode
Flag
Yeah I read that interview, an not to be rude but what a bitch, also she should sell that it's over shit to Delena fans, oh wait that other ep loves Damon and she's basically on charge on that show so this chapter will continue to suck. Also Francis is going to die, so fray was doomed from the start.
Flag
I originally thought that he might have been upset seeing Mary and Francis, but this morning it came into my mind again for some reason and I agree with what you said. Granted, Kenna had to urge Bash to look at her and think only of her in bed, but hey have grown as a couple and they are getting stronger, whereas Francis and Mary seem to weaken because he ends up having to break too many promises to her, and put France first. I am also glad not to have to see the triangle romance especially since I don't like the idea of Bash having to suffer. Long may Bash live happy.
Flag
Staff
You know what ,I think this is a brilliant way to step away from an endless love triangle. I mean we've all seen how exhausting it is like in TVD for the heroine you're supposed to respect to spend 5+ years not knowing who she loves. This shows a real respect for Mary as a character, and an overall respect for where hte series is going. Probably my biggest question for the series is, what happens when we get to the historical cut off for Frances being alive? Mary IRL returned to Scotland a very eligible widow soon after Elizabeth took the throne. Considering how fast things move, I'm really hoping the show makes Mary our thruline and portrays her entire history- though I think they could easily dedicate all of next season to Fronce as well.
Flag
Boring, they should move right along with history, Mary going back to Scotland, marry her cousin, have his baby, may bring the ratings back up.
Flag
the triangle had to end, as frustrated as mash shippers are, theres no way Reign could do what tvd did, that would have caused too many parallels and lose sight of what Reign was originally pitched to be
honestly i dont know how they're going to approach that. i have tried assuming and speculating how the writers would go about everything that has come about up to now, and i've been wrong everytime so i officially give up and place all faith into their hands, not that i cared for those hands after the consummation but im working on forgiving them now that they have given me bash and kenna
i think Mary will make it to the very end. how the other characters will play out, i dont know.

Flag
1. Oh no, it didn't even cross my mind that they were just setting us up for tragedy with Greer and Castleroy. Honestly, I was hoping from that particular portion of the cast was coming the early musings of the French Revolution (I mean, really, you have a woman whose family made money to get her into society, you have a man who I suspect may have negotiated his title, he took in Leith) you know so there could be a family who has a well educated son who isn't necessarily a real noble in, i guess about three hundred years who gets his friends all riled up. Or, just to have a situation that the other girls are totally jealous about, a husband who loves and respects her, you just know she is going to get herself properly knocked up on the wedding night, a boy is born (you just know Lola's is a girl),

2. I was humored by that resumption. I had sworn more than a day had passed in the timeline of the show.

3. Nope, because I know some history, but I am expecting that Francis will return and not be feeling well.

4. Hard to say and hate to be crude here, but when she was saying she wanted to make him forget, she didn't exactly go for the same action that Bash did earlier.......
More+
Flag
Oh, I hope nothing happens to Castleroy either. The first time he was on, I was neither here nor there. But the more he was on, the more I liked him. He is so sweet and I hope nothing happens to him, he is to decent.
Flag
I love the Castleroy and Greer. I believe the only couple that are growing together. He is a gentleman and now showing her that he is a real man. There is going to be a passion there that is going to blow everyones mind. It is the only love story I currently like... Francis and Mary both love their individual countries more then they love each other. Kenna loves things .. Bash loves adventure and Mary. Poor Lola ... I have no clue what wil happen there. I really loved the adventures of Bash and Mary... the way they loved to conquer tyranny .. and hands on. They both have wild hearts like mustangs. Greer is a lady and Castleroy a true boy next door gentleman with a passion .... I think he is really kind of hot also. I love this show .. although it frustrates me. Kenna I think will mess up.
Flag
Apparently, the writers are going to get away from the love triangle so Bash might truly end up getting closer to Kenna. They have been trying to work on their marriage.
Flag
Which one of the girls in the picture got the biggest smiles this week? (psst: it was the blonde on the right who now knows she's the one who found The Man. She may also have the best cape - she looks the warmest cause she's the one that found the real Prince.)

That scene with Kenna and Bash was one of the most semi-depressing sex scenes I have ever seen on a show. They both want each other to be the other's Number 1 but both know they aren't and are both trying so desperately to forget where they have been and get somewhere together. After he sees Mary and Francis and then goes in and just takes Kenna and she KNOWS exactly what it is about. They both want the other to forget the past which is impossible. And these two actors; Kaitlin Stasey and Torrance Coombs are playing these stories out so good. Her bedroom attire was stunning. But of course we all know who the MVP was this week - and show I'm telling you now if you are hiding a sinister motive I am going to be real mad and depressed - Lord Castleroy. This show is creating the most lovely and tender May-September romance - he's completely inspired by her. The kiss between Castleroy and Greer - and her 'I can't believe how nice that was' semi-insulting complement post-kiss that still came off perfect because Celina Siden and Michael Therriault are doing a very good job in these roles written so well. She is getting everything Mary and Kenna want, a man that is 100% out only for her. She's really falling for him and hell who watching this show isn't? - he shut her scumbag father the f' down (and then sweetly apologized to HER) and was making enormous leaps for women's rights the whole episode. He established dowry's for her sisters and gave Greer complete control over the marriages and the marriage contract. You just wanted to hug him when he handed over THEIR marriage contract for HER to approve of. Sorry Francis, sorry Bash, sorry Henry, (where are you Nostradamus?) you are all just bystanders - Castleroy is the man. This is not your average CW cast or writing on any level and for that I will be eternally grateful.

And so much good stuff with our principles. Catherine letting Penelope live and offering a potential spot in the 'Flying Squad' is an interesting development. Another stellar outing from this show. I love this show.

More+
Flag
I so agree.. when I played it back which I often do.. I had to fast forward through the Kenna and Bash scenes. I do not even think it was that hot. There was no love. Bash is more then just sex... If you cant be with the one you love honey love the one your with. ... All I saw is how Bash wants to get over Mary .. but he cant. He is frustrated. So I am not seeing how people think their relationship is getting closer. Kenna is happy cause she is getting an estate. When she spoke with her friends.. she never says how she feels .. she seemed more in love with the King in earlier scenes. I just think Kenna is just well like Erica from All My Children. She will never know what love really is..... Bash does not care who he is with .. cause he will always love Mary. I just believe Bash is going to be Mary's Lancelot throughout the entire series.... no matter who she marries. Being with Kenna frees him up to be able to cheat on Kenna. OOOooooh and Lord Casteroy and Greer. That is a real hot story. They make him sexier looking and acting each episode for a reason. I can't wait to see the passion slowly grow.. that will be a hot scene when it does.
More +
Flag
Dick move Francis rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr he aggravates me so much I just want to punch him in the face. My head knows he has to put his country first and he always has done that Mary always come in second best and that just pisses me off. I do love Bash I always will but he isn't over Mary and no matter kena does his heart is already Mary's, proven by his reaction to seeing Mary and Francis kissing in that hall. Over all a brilliant episode, Henry has officially gone crackers as is nuttier than a Cadbury chocolate bar.
Flag
Mary and Francis are heartbreaking (the two actors excel in their emotional scenes together); whether they’re arguing or celebrating, either way it’s heartbreaking. Mary’s “happy-sad” smile (where she’s half crying, half smiling), that she reserves only for Francis, says it all. There is pain in their joy and agony in their youth because we know they are doomed as lovers and rulers. Their story was never just going to be about childhood mates falling in love, getting married, and making babies. That may be the foundation of their connection as consorts, but their role as rulers was always going to be complicated. Reign is staging a narrative for Francis and Mary’s fate that feels large, courageous, and ultimately tragic. Every promise Francis can’t keep, every effort Mary makes trying to save their marriage or his life, every fight, every mistake they make hits that much deeper and harder because we know their fate. Giving them a fresh beginning in every chapter feels more urgent and meaningful because we know there will be so much left unsaid, undone, and unfinished between them in the end. Throwing in infidelity or the possibility of it just seems too unnecessary and brutal. That’s why the love triangle doesn’t work; it feels out of place in the scale of this show. The political turmoil, on the other hand, has a rightful place in Mary and Francis’s journey as lovers and monarchs. The writers made a great decision in moving on from the love triangle. Keep the geometry of love simple but the dynamics of it complicated.
Brilliant episode. I think the best one so far since it successfully delivers on the “historical fantasy” premise of the show. The Duke of Guise did have a tremendous influence on Francis’s reign, and [SPOILER] France does take Calais around this time. France’s victory was a big blow for England, so much so that Mary Tudor said if you cut open her heart, etched inside of it would be Philip, her husband, and Calais. The fantasy part comes in by putting Mary and Francis’s opposing interests and Henry’s madness at the centre of the siege of Calais. It’s like this epic love letter to history and fiction. Really intelligent writing.
The best line, in terms of meaning and delivery, goes to Kenna: “I want you to always remember what it feels like to be with your wife.” I think the writers found a great way for Bash and Kenna to move on from their painful past relationships. The whole concept of forgetting who came before, engaging your partner in the present, and remembering what it’s like to be intimate with your spouse everyday is poignant, smart, and beautiful writing. Reign, long may you be this good.
More+
Flag
This post so much. ITA. I have been saying for awhile that we as an audience needed to see Francis put France ahead of Mary clearly. I thank the writers for giving us this.

I love them so much as a couple. I love that he was willing to risk so much for Mary but when the lives of his people were in jeopardy he did the right thing and put them first. I love she admitted that she has compromised her duty to her people because she loves him so much. It was beautiful and painful. Adelaide is MVP of the episode for her simple statement of requesting Francis makes no more promises to her because france must and does come first with him. He fell in love with a Queen- she choose a King and the consequence of that is that they will never come first in one another's heart. Every time their duties come into conflict, each time they choose their country's over their spouse, I want to watch how they come back from that, how they maintain trust, how their love survives. It is beyond compelling.

Bravo to the writers for exploring the politics of power, and the politics of marriage in this moving, compelling way.

And I was digging the Kenna and Bash. Bash wanting it to be special for her and the desire each has to have a place in their spouse's heart. Loved the contrast of the passion of their sex scene to Mary and Francis, where you see how in love with one another they are and their mutual adoration.

And while I love Leith, let me say, TEAM PEPPERCORN 4 LIFE. He respects her strength, he adores her gentleness and he is loving, kind, respectful,.. Wow.
More +
Flag
Lovely post; excellently stated.
Flag
Staff
You're totally right about the dramatic irony. It's really fantastically bittersweet to watch them struggle to keep everything together with what we know about history hanging over their heads.
Flag
I stand and applaud this post. Excellent.
Flag
BRILLIANT! THANK YOU
Flag
  • Mary
    • Making a deal with her uncle is definitely a risk. I don’t trust him whatsoever. He definitely does more harm than good. I understand that she figured that since she could not get help with anyone else, that she felt she had no choice.
    • As much as she loves Francis, she definitely regrets marrying him to a degree. I think Bash telling her that he would be a bad king so he could be a good husband is ringing in her head lately.
    • When Mary made him promise to stop making promises that he knew he probably could not keep, I was proud of her. As much as it hurt her to say, and as much as it hurt Francis to hear, it needed to be said. The second promise, I fully expected because as much as they do fight, she does love him nonetheless.
    • I wonder what she is going to do to try and save Scotland. She alluded that she is going to do something whether Francis like it or not.
  • Francis
    • At first I thought “awe he’s trying to make it up to Mary for locking her in that tower.” He even agreed to make a deal with the smarmy Duke De Guise in order for Mary to have her army. I kept thinking, please find a way to double-cross him, maybe even talk with Catherine, the plotter that she is. I even thought that he was smart to make sure that the Duke’s army swore an allegiance to him. Unfortunately Henry screwed that up, and Francis was forced to break yet another promise to Mary.
    • It seems that every time he takes a step forward, he takes another step or two back. I understand that he has to save France otherwise they would be useless to Scotland. I also understand that it is because of Henry that he had to break another promise. But on the other hand, broken promises hurt especially when it becomes a constant thing.
  • Catherine
    • The way she handled both did and did not surprise me. Her initial reaction to Penelope’s faux pregnancy did not surprise me at the least. She knew it was just another plot; she even went the extra mile and made sure she caught her trying to get pregnant by a stable boy (which I knew would happen). It did not surprise me either that she threw her in the tower the stew for a bit. What did surprise me was that she was going to make Penelope a member of her Flying Squadron. I mean, yes, she does have the sex experience, but the dominatrix thing might be a bit much for some men so she better learn to do other things in bed to suit more different types of men.
      • I have to wonder, is she going to be a member of the Flying Squadron, or is Catherine going to do a double cross and send her to Italy only to have her eliminated? I mean, she tried to get her to do her bidding once before, and instead she took advantage of Henry for awhile.
    • She became a little too sure of herself when it came to handling Henry. Knowing that he has been firing generals, she should have known that she was going to dismiss that other general.
    • She really seemed surprised when Francis ended up agreeing to go to war with England. You know she is probably really pissed that he is going as well. Now instead of her getting pissed at Mary because he is fighting to save Scotland, instead she can be angry at Henry.
    • Oh, I wonder who manages to capture Catherine next week.
  • Penelope
    • Oh Penelope, you are so naïve. Did you (Penelope) honestly think that Catherine wasn’t going figure out your little plot? I kind of figured that Penelope would do something like this. I even knew that she would go to a member of the kitchen staff, or a stable boy to get her pregnant so the plan could possibly work. But Catherine knew her game and she was not about to let it work. You see, she underestimated both Henry and Catherine. Henry allowed Bash to stay at court all those years because he was his and Diane’s son. Despite the fact that we have not seen her recently, Diane remained his favorite mistress all his life. Any children he had with his other mistresses were not necessarily going to get the same treatment. Kenna told Lola that the king protected against such things. Even when he was mad, he probably did the same. Being pregnant with an illegitimate royal child has no guarantee that you will be well compensated, or become a favorite and remain that way. They can just as easily throw you aside.
  • Henry
    • He is getting more and more insane. To think that he was going to beat England because “god” told him he was going to is nuts.
    • The way he treated Mary was pretty horrible. It was not her fault that Mary de Guise put too many Frenchmen into positions at Scottish court. It is also not her fault that Elizabeth had been named heir to the English throne over Mary.
  • Lord Castleroy/Greer/her father
    • I liked Leith, but Lord Castleroy is growing on me more and more. He has shown that he really does love and respect Greer, and that he is a good business man.
    • After seeing Greer’s father, both Leith and Castleroy both make sense for Greer. Both care about her, and are very different from her dad. He does not treat his daughters very well at all, being so mean to Greer saying that she could not understand business when she is probably perfectly capable of doing so. Then complaining that he only had daughters, making sure that the younger ones showed up to try to get matches.
      • Obviously, Greer marrying Castleroy is a good thing for not only Greer, but also her sisters and in a way her father.
        • Her father does not have to worry about paying any dowry’s for his daughters as Castleroy has refused to take one for Greer, and will be putting up the money for the other sisters.
        • He plans on putting up 10,000 francs for each sister to have as a dowry so they can get a good match. The final decision for those matches will also be made by Greer so at least her sisters can be happy instead of marrying for just wealth and ignoring their own happiness because of a sense of duty. In that sense, it is sweet. Hopefully is continues to have good/great success in business so he can keep that promise provided that the definitely get married.
        • He does his homework; he knew that those mines were crap at this point along with others. He was not about to be lied to.
        • He made sure that Greer’s father understood that she was to be treated with respect. After probably years of being mistreated, she needed that.
        • From what we are seeing, it is probably a good thing that Greer screwed up her chances with Julian. He is hiding something, and he may not have the money everyone thinks he has. Or he kills his wives. At least being with Castleroy, she won’t possibly get killed.
  • Bash/Kenna
    • I can’t blame Kenna for wanting Bash to think only of her in bed. Just earlier in the episode he insisted that she think only of him. He claimed that he wanted to take things slow, and yet he disappears and comes back and pretty much says screw that-she knew he changed his mind for a reason. She probably knew he saw Mary with Francis and knew he got upset.
      • Just like Francis, he took one or two steps forward and then ended up going back again. He had been making such progress in his marriage to Kenna, just to step back just because he sees Mary kissing Francis. I like Bash, I really do, its just so sad to see him act this way.
More+
Flag
Good Analysis! However i disagree with you on the last point I don,t think Bash pouncing on Kenna was a step back but rather a step forward. Bash was apprehensive to have sex with Kenna because he was still clinging onto the hope that he could one day be with Mary. I think when he say Mary and Francis kissing he finally had the realization that both he and Mary are married and that she was happy with Francis. I think her decision to pick Francis only resonated fully with Bash in that moment. Therefore he returned to Kenna because he finally accepted that she is infact his wife and he was finally ready to consummate their marriage. I think that him rushing to Kenna like that was not a Jealous reaction... I mean lets think about this pragmatically, Bash has seen Francis and Mary together thousands of times since their marriage so why would this particular encounter cause him to fly into a jealous fury? He watched them consummate their marriage without the slightest reaction for God's sake. I think that when he rushed to Kenna it signified him moving on and finally making the decision to let go of Mary and try to love Kenna... I think they maybe great things in the future for them. They are both such dynamic characters who are completely different in so many ways but completely the same in so many others. Despite the less than ideal circumstance of their meeting I believe their love has the potential to last. It is clear that Kenna already feels strongly for Bash and I sense that he is on his way to feeling the same although i think he still cares deeply about Mary and always will I think there is definitely the indication of new love between the two! #KENNASH FOREVER
More +
Flag
I cannot wait to see Lily's captions of the sex scenes between Bash and Kenna.

#awkwardmuch
#notsexy
#reshoot
#sorrynotsorry

I am still rooting for them though…mostly.
Flag
Staff
Hahahaha I am still rooting for them but dang, love scenes are hard!!! Both actors did their best but it can't be easy to pretend to be all sensuous with 45 crew members watching you in your underwear.
Flag
Okay, I like Francis but only so much more of this drama between Mary and Francis can I take. I don't know why I am talking like Yoda.
Flag
Staff
Lord Castleroy is a dreamboat.
Flag
Staff
I've been here for Castleroy since the first day he appeared. I am into him biggggtime.
Flag
Just imagine the drama if Leith should return from battle just in time to witness Greer and Castleroy exchanging vows.
Flag
I was grinning like a fool when he was putting Greer's father in his place.
Flag
As was I. Her father really was an a** wasn't he? And what Castleroy did for her sisters as well-awe how sweet. Hopefully, if he indeed does end up with Greer, he continues to do well in business so he can keep his promise.
Flag
#preach
Flag
Follow this Show
Members