A Reign Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

Reign S01E22: "Slaughter of Innocence"

The king is dead, long live the king! Oh man, I am going to miss King Henry so much. Alan Van Sprang’s infinitely entertaining king never stopped being likable, no matter how busy his fingers or sinister his plans, and his moments of partnership with Catherine were some of the series’ best. We saw a range of kingly emotions, from lust to rage to tender dad-ness, and I’m going to seriously miss both the character and the actor.

Although, insofar as the plot goes, talk about someone dying right on time. Scary as the vaguely death metal episode title “Slaughter of Innocence” sounded, it was the epic finale our bold new series deserved, closing out Reign’s stellar freshman season with a one-two punch of much-needed resolution for some ongoing storylines plus a flourish of cliffhangers to keep us twirling our side-braids until next fall.

The finale started with what felt like the last scene in a classic English country-house murder mystery: everyone in their pajamas as King Henry promised he was about to deduce who had tried to kill him in the previous episode. But he got bored and just stabbed Travis, and then told everyone to put on their party clothes.

Francis was like, “Yo my guys, Henry is not getting any better I guess.” But it was too late to try another assassination attempt; their best bet was to wrest power with a coup. 

Before Francis could go convince several generals to back him in a possible civil war against his father, he thoughtfully gave Leith some lands and houses and deeds, as promised. Very swag! Leith was off like a shot to tell Greer that now they could be married, but Greer took one look at the pile of papers Francis had given Leith and was like, “Eh, I don’t know... these holdings aren’t great. Orchards? Hmmm.” Her financial acumen deserves some applause here. I wish my mental math was that quick. 

Greer was basically like, “Girl I walked half-dead off a battlefield with you AND didn’t flirt with a cute redhead down the hall, and this is how I’m repaid. Eff this, I’ve got a mock battle to participate in.”

Henry was celebrating the capture of Calais by having the recently returned soldiers reenact a fake naval battle. Already this sounded like the most hellish experience imaginable for participants, but then poor Mary had the added indignity of King Henry sitting next to her, fawning over her, and actually reaching up under her fur throw to see how excited she was about the battle, all with Catherine giving them the side-eye. It was major Stranger Danger.

Also filed under Stranger Danger: Pascal and Kenna had their house broken into by the Darkness (the pagan man, not the band), and Kenna had to turn a pantry into a panic room, which she managed quite handily while the Darkness encouraged Pascal to spill her blood. 

Meanwhile, Bash and Nostradamus were off serving as unofficial ministers of Interior Affairs, because while Fronce was super eager to get its rule on in England, it hadn't figured out how to keep Pagans from butchering whole villages within its own borders. Bash and Nosty happened upon a whole village full of crime scenes with crude drawings on the walls that predicted a coming plague. 

Of course, predicting plague in the 16th century is kind of like predicting summer blockbusters in our current time. They popped up with regularity, is what I’m saying. 

But that naval battle! It turned into a legitimate nightmare when one of the ships got 100 percent blown up with a cannon.

Henry had insisted that his veterans reenact a battle with real cannons, sending a tide of bloody bodies up the shore, where Francis literally stumbled across them. After learning of both the mass-murdering bent his father’s mania had taken and the orders for 3,000 soldiers to despatch to Calais, Francis was like, “ENOUGH starring Jennifer Lopez I am SHUTTING THIS DOWN.” 

Back at the castle, Catherine and Mary called a Queen’s Qlub emergency meeting to discuss Henry’s pawing and his recent request that Catherine annul their marriage. The moment they both realized at the same time that this added up to the certain murder of Francis by his own father, I literally felt chills. 

In the castle square, a shaken Greer was going around peeking at the bodies pulled in from the disastrous mock battle and looking for Leith. She was just going around like it was NBD peering at the dead guys, and this knight came up to her like, “I have a list of the wounded and dead if that’s helpful," and she was like, “No no I’m actually kind of enjoying playing peekaboo with these horribly mutila—" and Leith was like, “I’m ALIVE!” and they embraced. It was genuinely delightful.

Still, even after experiencing the heartbreak of believing that Leith had died, and realizing how deeply she loved him, Greer was still not ready to take the plunge and elope. She had to think of her family’s debts, her sister’s happiness, her 401k options. Leith was incredibly frustrated that she was throwing away what they had, all, “What if I guarantee you that in 400 years none of this stuff—money, titles—none of it will make a difference!” and Greer was like, “Oh please Leith, socioeconomic hierarchies will always exist no matter how they’re defined, even in a future progressive society where democracy is the ideal there would still be a monied class monopolizing jobs and resources and functioning as de facto royalty but without any of the obligations to charity our current nobles are bound to via theocratic monarchy.” And then Leith pulled himself up to his full height and told her that for her jaded, cynical attitude, he was going to become the Great Gatsby.

I actually found his speech to Leith rather touching, it put me in mind of this one Wyatt poem I adore, and I’m already slavering to see this storyline unfold.

And what of Lola? She had gone into labor next to the most unwelcoming household in all of Fronce. The baby had decided to arrive and the only shelter around was a sincerely dirty hovel and Lola was like, “This. This is the place. Put down some newspaper, this is happening.” The very alarmed woman living in the hovel was like, “Open your eyes, this place is an infection waiting to happen, are you crazy?” But Lola had already scrambled into the back room and heaped up some old rags to have her baby on. As she writhed with birthing pains, she dictated a letter to Mary, to be sent to the castle POST HASTE.

Mary had put her head together with good ol' Uncle De Guise and he proved to be something of a life coach. He pointed out that if King Henry was toppled in a coup, Francis would also be tainted by association, and so Uncle De Guise encouraged Mary to make some bold moves and position herself as the figurehead of any revolutionary-type action. Mary reacted by whipping up a statement dress at the Royal Joust.

A couple things here: 

First, I have seen feature-length movies that did not stage as convincing of a joust set-up as Reign did. The stands, the riders, the concourse—it was phenomenal. The show must've tucked away some extra budget for this finale sequence, and every penny was onscreen. Just fantastic. 

Second, Mary’s entrance in the English-themed dress and the crowd cheering at her political audacity was as dramatic as it needed to be, although considering some of the gems she’s catwalked across the court in the past, this sort of thing should have happened a lot sooner.

Her moxie was so moving that she inspired Henry to try to steal the spotlight by getting in on the next joust. And then Francis, in disguise, broke a lance on his dad’s face, murdering his father.

He was like, “SOMETHING’S GOTTA GIVE starring Diane Keaton.” And after Henry and Catherine shared a tearful goodbye, Henry revealed that he’d killed his own brother to take the throne, and warned Francis that killing someone you love is the worst—the WORST—thing you can do, even worse than blowing up a boatload of men who just returned from fighting in your name. Henry died without Francis understanding that his father had plotted to kill him, and perhaps that’s better—to feel like a loved villain, rather than to know your own father had plotted against you. It's hard to say which perspective is worse, really.

Bash, meanwhile, had somehow managed to break into his house, and he and the suddenly badass Nostradamus EASILY handled the Darkness. For a faceless legendary entity, the Darkness went down like a cup of berries in a blender. He explained to Bash that he was only doing what the gods demanded by killing children and dressing like a monster, to keep nature in balance. “It’s the Circle of Life,” he argued, but Bash wasn’t having it.

He put an ax in the dude’s head, which is one definite way to end a conversation, and he and Kenna went back to court, presumably, which is when we got to see this beautiful moment:

Perfect. Genuine chills. Shown not told, this scene was perfect.

Mary and Francis had a moment to unpack the major life events they had both encountered, Mary mentioned how she was kind of turning into a calculating badass and Francis was like, “We’ll work on it.” And then they had an opportunity to do so almost immediately with a letter from Lola. Mary revealed that the baby was Francis’s and begged him to go to Lola’s side, in case she didn’t survive the birth. Toby Regbo’s reaction was completely fantastic, Adelaide Kane did a good job of seeming both contrite and urgent, and really this whole scene was fabulous.

And then the twist: The plague had struck! If Francis left the castle, sure, he’d see his firstborn but he might also get the plague and die. At the very least, he could not return to the castle until the plague was over, lest he contaminate the whole royal family. This is very accurate; all of King Henry VIII’s court would move castles when the plague descended, folks did not joke around with the plague. Francis told Mary he had to go to Lola’s side, and she ordered for the portcullis to be lowered, signaling that while he was following his heart, she was determined to be the queen she had to be. DRAMA!

It’s thematically a beautiful ending to Mary’s transformation and the choices she’s had to make between her emotions and her rational mind. Plot-wise it’s incredibly compelling, and I can’t wait to see how Lola and Francis do with their baby now that they're cut off from the castle. It’s both closure and suspense, and snaps to that for real. ALL THE SNAPS TO THEE, OH REIGN!

QUESTIONS:

... So is Greer going to end up being Leith’s mother in law or... ? 

... What should Francis have done? Was he foolish to leave the castle, or did he have an obligation to Lola and the baby?

... Is there any possible way to bring King Henry back, or his he officially history?

... Will Mary ultimately deny Francis a return to the castle?

... Lola’s baby: boy, girl, name, royal bastard, what will happen?

... What moment gave you the biggest chill?

What'd you think of the finale? What do you think lies in store for Season 2?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

157 Comments
Comments (157)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Leith is so annoying now. It's like a 360 degree character reversal. I don't understand how such a kind and compassionate character, suddenly now with land titles could actually be so inconsiderate. Greer is giving up so much because she understands that her sisters are relying on her, and while yes it sucks for her, the Leith that was a servant would be understanding of this. Disliking swagger Leith so much. But Greers fiances daugher is hot! Stay away from Leith missy, he's trouble.

The hug between Bash and Francis was amazing!!!! So so so good. Also I love a good plague, so I can't wait for it to fully hit. Can't wait for next season. Also I agree Lily, I would stand up and cheer every time Mary walked into a room because her dresses are always stunning....or I'd cry because I really want every costume the girls have worn. Cannot wait for next season!
Flag
Yes, this! I know this is old, but I only just watched this episode.
Leith might have a point if it wasn't the freaking 1500's where women were literally property and marrying a super rich man who not only respects you, but has given both you and your sisters as much autonomy as a woman could ever hope to get in those days is not something you'd just throw away. Besides, maybe because I'm old and not as hopelessly romantic, but marrying the kind, gentle Castleroy would be the better long-term prospect happiness wise. Sure she has passion with Leith, but when that burns out, what does she have? Better to be with the guy you may not be wildly in love with, but that you have a solid friendship and mutual respect with.
Flag
Thanks Lily for your review! For your questions:
1) I still think that Greer will marry Castleroy and somehow he will die so she will inherit his money and after a lot of angst, Greer and Leith will end up together.
2) Ok so I know that Francis going to rescue Lola and his baby is noble and all but I really wish he didn't go in the end because he is the freaking King of France, it is irresponsible to put himself in danger like that. Also, it is so obvious now that they will use the plague story to explain Francis' death.
3) I don't think the writers will bring Henri back. I am sure that the writers have plenty of other plots of storylines in the future for us.
4) Mary might if there is a slight chance that she believes Francis might have the plague. But on the other hand, he is the king so I don't know how that can play out.
5) Ok this is really mean of me to say but I kinda hope there will be no baby in the end. The baby is just extra drama for frary and I just don't want it.
6) I think I won't be original here: Francis' and Bash's hug scene.
More+
Flag
The Francis and Bash hugs was the best moment of the finale, perhaps of the whole season!
As we know the show can do anything they want but in reality neither Mary or Catherine, or anyone else for that matter, would be able to keep Francis from coming back to the castle and bringing whoever he wants with him. After all Francis is the King now and Mary is only Queen Consort until a coronation is held and she is crowned.
While do not want Reign to lose its' "Reigness" in season two, I would like it I they could slow the pace down just a little and let us savor more of the important moments.
I have love, love loved the whole season but there have been a few times, like the wedding episode, where I have kind of felt cheated out of the greatest of the event. And while I loved the finale I did once again feel like I was being rushed through some very important moments.
I am hoping that next season the can give a really grand and lavish royal episode, maybe a great coronation episode, to make up for giving only partial episodes to some of the most important events of season one.
I will not even begin to predict what will happen in season two because part of the reason I love this show is it is not always predictable.
More+
Flag
Ah the clothes! That's all I have to say. The show is fine but I mostly watch it for the blunders of costume from Mary and her ladies. It gets more and more ridiculous. Empire hemlines, cut-off arms, peep-holes, mesh backs, sweetheart necklines. Ridiculous!! Love!
Flag
I think you mean it gets more and more stunning ;) I'd be so annoyed if they dressed them with historical accuracy, then I wouldn't get my weekly fix of beautiful gowns!
Flag
If I chose not to laugh the entire show off as CW's writers exploding at the opportunity to be farcical then I would be pissed off. But as it is I am a cross between pleasantly amused and bewildered. A happy medium.
Flag
-Bash and Francis embracing was just too much. I loudly "awwwwed" at that one. They've come so far from the squabbling brothers involved in a love triangle (which I kinda miss if I'm being honest). Come to think of it though, Francis is on the loose looking for his baby's mama and now Mary is quarantined with Bash and Kenna. A new love triangle perhaps?

-Leith's speech was amazing, but I see Greer's point. She needs to think about more than just her heart. I hope he goes all Great Gatsby, with the red head to boot.

-I'm over the pagan/Darkness story line. Just doesn't do enough to hold my interest.
Flag
It was a great season finale, as the writers managed to pull out a few surprises. I think they've demonstrated they're not afraid to kill off a major character (RIP King Henry). That doesn't bode well for Francis, and I agree that the writers are following history (at least loosely). I only hope that they will allow Francis to live longer, and that this plague will not be the cause of his death. I do enjoy his relationship with Mary, and also that of Kenna and Bash. The subplots of Greer/Leith/Castleroy and Lola/the baby are also entertaining and well-written. All in all, much to look forward to next season!
Flag
This stupid computer keeps submittg before I finish. As I was saying'Julian said he doesn't want children and he drops Greer for kissing Leith. In the next moment he falls for Lola who tells him she is pregnant. Talk about completely turning around. I did like him as a character and wish they didn't write him out. Maybe he'll come back.

Flag
Always look forward to your reviews, Lily - a highlight of my week. I thought the season finale was beautifully written and acted. So many loose ends tied up but so many things left unresolved. I love the ethical questions the show sets up: Should Bash have been so quick to kill the Darkness when he knew about the plague prophecy? Should Catherine keep the death-bed promise she made to Henry about Diane? Should Greer hurt her sweet Castleroy and her sisters by following her heart and marrying Leith? Should Francis risk all to help Lola and see his new child? I will miss Alan van Sprang - so sexy and dynamic. I loved the tender moment between Francis and Bash, the joust, and the scene at the end where the portcullis separates Mary and Francis not only physically but also symbolically - enough to see through to each other, but a formidable barrier. This is one of the most original shows to come along on the CW. It mixes history and fiction, the old and the new, and is funny, quirky and dark all at the same time.
Flag
I am in mourning for King Henry. Next season he should run around the castle as a ghost - like the ghost king in Shakespeare's Hamlet. Just to keep him on the show even though he's dead
Flag
Based on Nostradamus' earlier vision of Olivia dead, I predict the castle is going to get infected by the plague whether Mary lets Francis back in or not. And I'm hoping Lola has a girl, otherwise things are going to be real hard for Frary next season.
Flag
Is Leith related to Lord Castleroy. where did they say that in the show? I really like lord Castleroy. He really loves Greer
Flag
The girl with red hair is Lord Castleroy's daughter, and Leith likes her. Therefore, there is a possibility Greer could become Leith's mother-in-law.
Flag
I watched it again slowly and I saw that scene. Thr first time when hekissed his daughter I thought it was Greer. That was a big surprise to me. I never though of Lord Castleroy being married before.Has anyone noticed how much Castleroy looks have .. I barely recognized him.Iliked him much better as he lookedin Toy Soldiers.
Flag
Most shows have a love triangle but Reigh has a quadruple square.

Flag
Loved it. Loved all of it. Great season, great finale. Favorite part was the two brothers hug. Yes to that. I'm so glad that this show was not reduced to a shippers fan-fiction like another cw show. I had that worry mid season but they turned it into a really compelling season with a plot.Can't wait to see next season.
Flag
... So is Greer going to end up being Leith’s mother in law or... ?
Greer is going to end up being Leith's mother in law, and she will be jealous of Yvette. Leith will become rich and powerful, because he's a close friend of Francis. Greer will remember what he told her, and she will be miserable. I think there will be a moment when she will told him that letting him go was the biggest mistake of her life.
... What should Francis have done? Was he foolish to leave the castle, or did he have an obligation to Lola and the baby?
I think Francis made the right choice. e had to bring Lola and his child back.
... Is there any possible way to bring King Henry back, or his he officially history?
He is officially dead, although I think he may return in their dreams or something.
... Will Mary ultimately deny Francis a return to the castle?
No, if he is not infected by the plague which he won't.
... Lola’s baby: boy, girl, name, royal bastard, what will happen?
Lola will have twins a girl named Ann and probably a boy named. ( she had a really big belly so .. I think she will stay alive, and Mary will be jealous, because Francis, and Lola will share a bond, not a romantic one but more like parents.
... What moment gave you the biggest chill?
Francis and Bash hugging each other. And also, Bash telling Kenna he loves her.
More+
Flag
I never had caught her name. (Lord Castleroy's daughter) If that is her name, her and I have a name in common! Awesomeness! Makes me even more eager for the second season. :D I also liked the brotherly hug, and respect that Francis and Bash shared. It was heartwarming, and made me almost cry.
Flag
First of all, I'm so glad that Reign got an early renewal so we didn't have to worry about whether or not we'd get a season 2. At the start of the season Mary was the sentimental ruler, more willing to put her heart before her country (in some circumstances) whilst Francis, was all about his duty to his France before love. However, by the end of the season we have a role reversal with Mary growing more cold and aware of the burdens/duties of a Queen and Francis, just a day after becoming King of France risks his own life to be by Lola's side.

I'm excited to see where they'll take us in season 2 with all of the potential story lines. Oh and I have a feeling we'll see Henry in some form or another, maybe he'll come back to haunt Francis.
Flag
I don't wanna spoil but...Mary was not beheaded with a single strike. The first blow missed her neck and struck the back of her head. The second blow severed the neck, except for a small bit of sinew, which the executioner cut through using the axe. Afterward, he held her head aloft and declared,
"God save the Queen." GL waching season 2!
Flag

1) So is Greer going to end up being Leith’s mother in law or... ? its possible

2) What should Francis have done? Was he foolish to leave the castle, or did he have an obligation to Lola and the baby? He should of stayed at the castle; But yes he does have an obligation to his kid

3) Is there any possible way to bring King Henry back, or his he officially history? he's history

4) Will Mary ultimately deny Francis a return to the castle? Doubtful he is the king after all

5) Lola’s baby: boy, girl, name, royal bastard, what will happen? Girl; Katherine; the baby may not even survive

6) What moment gave you the biggest chill? I like the part where Francis stopped Bash from bowing down to him and they hugged.

Flag
Dudes, give Mary a break, she is a QUEEN-of a country dying to survive.....she is no longer selfish or having wistful girly fantasies...these are real political, country making or breaking issues she has to deal with...she doesn't like it, which shows her conscience, but she realizes that survival of Scotland is the most important, not her love life or even the life of Francis...........

Perhaps F and Lola will arrive (with/or without baby) and will have to park it and camp out right outside the gates-being given food, etc. until the threat has passed and they are no longer suspected of any potential infection...
How, though, did Catherine miss the implication when Mary said the new KING is going to be with Lola who is giving birth?????? That would have been a face to remember! Also, seriously, Francis, your wife knew about your canoodling and even about the baby, and didn't tell you to F-off!! so, shut up with the judging.
Also, how could there be no contingent of guards surrounding the King as he rode out-threat of plague or not-how can they have left him vulnerable to other things???? And seriously, Lola could have stayed in the wagon as they bumped a few miles further to the castle-nothing was happening yet.
More+
Flag
Oh,PLEASE, bring King Henry back! As a ghost haunting Francis if need be.
Flag
Ugh that brother moment, my heart, Reign, my heart. In King Henry's speech about poisoning his brother, in my head that scene ended with "Also, don't eat your pile of meat later, son - [flatline]."

Can we talk about the progression of Frances' hair this episode for a sec? It was a hella humid ride to rally a coup... and no wonder Mary locked him out of the castle, he straightened out those curls!

Also, why am I always eating something when someone gets sharp object impaled into them on this show? Like, I reckon it's my bad when I'm watching Bones, but this show is supposed to be my weekly fix of fancy frocks and shirtless hugs.

I'm not happy about Leith's 0 to douche transformation, though. He's asking her to give up everything, and what is he compromising? Not working in the kitchens?
Flag
...So is Greer going to end up being Leith's mother in law or...?

I think Greer is always going to be very concerned with Leith and she will feel some sort of responsibility to try and be friends with him, but I am sure Leith will be reluctant. I was a little surprised at how "aggressive" (for lack of a better word) Leith was with Greer. He was always so gentle when she would come visit him, always very understanding that she was basically her family's one shot. But I liked it. I liked the idea that Greer had always been lowering Leith's self-esteem even as she endeared herself to him and he was fed up and in love with her and when she turned him down he was freaking angry. Even as Leith was set up as an understanding character, he is also human and I can't wait to see how it will fold out although I hope that Leith's motivation won't be revenge against Greer. And maybe, his resolve will crumble and he'll come visit her and we'll get some forbidden kisses as he builds his empire and she lies to Pepperpot?

...What should Francis have done? Was he foolish to leave the castle, or did he have an obligation to Lola and the baby?

I'm going to get so much hate for this, but I don't think Francis had a very big responsibility to Lola at all. Yes, you can't fight genetics and this child is half Francis', but his real responsibility is to his wife, Mary, and to his people. He is King, and I think Mary is right in that to be a good ruler, you have to make sacrifice and honestly how fond was he of Lola? His sense of duty is refreshing but it's a little naive, and Mary is most different from him there. But he needs to be "at her side" like he has so often assured her he will be. Lola made the decision to hide her child from him. Like, sorry Lola. Things really ended bad for you. But hey, you're pregnant! So use that as an ends to a means to be the very thing you promised Mary you wouldn't be. She was never going to tell her about it, and he would've never missed anything. But Mary is not pregnant. And Francis - at the first chance he gets - leaves his wife alone, knowing that it is possible he is forsaking her to be childless and alone to rule Scotland and France eventually. And it is wrong. The plague is not to be messed with, and I'm not satisfied, although I will say I don't think it's out of character for Francis.

...Is there any possible way to bring Henry back, or is he officially history?

Uh, no. Henry is dead, and it'll stay hidden forever that he had plotted to kill Francis and Francis will feel tons of guilt. Oops.

...Will Mary ultimately deny Francis a return to the castle?

OH, gosh, that's a toughie. I'm going to have to go with no, she'll let him in, but her hesitation will be murderous. I don't think she is that tough yet, and if Lola dies and Francis comes back with the baby (ooh, yes! That's my theory!) Mary will let him in and probably lock him in the tower (lol that would be HILARIOUS). I don't know. If she doesn't, gosh...I love Mary either way, but I am happier when she is happy with Francis. Go FRARY!

...Lola's baby: boy, girl, name, royal bastard, what will happen?

Boy. More drama because boys are heirs. Name? Um. Sebastian? Ha. That would be confusing. Okay. Lola will die of something...not sure if it will be plague. And Francis will be saddled with his bastard son, to bring back to court and try to convince Mary to love. He will try his best to get back to the castle (but maybe they will leave? GOSH.) and Mary may or may not let him and his child in.

....What gave you the biggest chill?

Um...okay. Maybe this is weird? But Catherine saying goodbye to Henry. Like, in that one episode where he was like "let your hair down" and they kissed and everything, I was like, "YES YESYES. YESYESYESYES." And when they were trying to get rid of that dead girl he pushed out the window and Henry tried to make a move...I don't know, man. But I loved their dynamics. Even though remember when Henry was totally intent on killing Catherine and putting Diane on the throne? Catherine still promised to be decent to Diane, and that is C H A R A C T E R D E V E L O P M E N T and who doesn't like some of that?

I am stoked for season two. Wow. Great job, Reign.
More+
Flag
Just because she said she would be decent to Diane that does not mean she will be. The real Catherine made she Diane lost as much as possibly after Henry died. I mean, she did not suffer horribly, she still had stuff of her own, but she lost somie chateau that Henry gave to her, some jewels, etc if memory serves me correct. We have barely seen Diane this season which is surprising because Henry and Diane were supposed to be really close in fact Henry was supposed to call for her as he was dying and they did not do that. If we do see Diane next season don't expect her and Catherine to get along.
Flag
Francis preventing bash from bowing to him was the most powerful scene in the whole episode . I can't believe the darkness was killed that easily and that bash didn't get to say goodbye to henry. Someone should really tell francis that the king wanted to kill him so that he'd stop mourning him!!
Flag
The scene when Bash bowed to Francis and his brother picked them up so that they could mourn together was the best scene of a somewhat disappointing season finale for me.
I have been a die hard fan of Reign all season long. We have had our ups and downs, but I really felt like the show lost its nature and identity.
I adore how quickly the show moves but consequently I felt that several things were rushed and glossed over.
For example how did Bash and Kenna fall in love so fast after the extent (we were forced to believe) of his love for Mary. Another example the Darkness, this whole plot had been built up since the pilot yet it was wrapped up as an after thought...some throw awy scenes in the finale that frankly were kinda annoying.
Don't even get me started on what happened to Clarissa. They should've just left her dead if she wasn't even going to get a breif mention in the finale.
The first half of season 1 of Reign felt like almost a different show then the back half of Reign.
Even the last scene was disappointing for me. I get they were showing a character arc being completed by Mary's decision to lock Francis out, but as a final scene of a finale it was incredibly weak.
More+
Flag
I stopped watching this show long ago but had to peek and see what happened with the finale - sounds boring, but your review was funny! Probably more interesting than the show itself... Looks like I wasn't the only one who stopped watching because the finale seemed to get awful ratings. It was one step away from being a series low.
Flag
I rewinded the Francis-Bash hug and rewatched. I don't think I was the only one.

Flag
You were not. I also made this face (*^o^*) squeeeeee
Flag
idk about your face when u learn that Mary was not beheaded with a single strike. The first blow missed her neck and struck the back of her head. The second blow severed the neck, except for a small bit of sinew, which the executioner cut through using the axe. Afterward, he held her head aloft and declared, "God save the Queen."
Flag
... And? Most of us do know basic history. (And if we don't, we can all use Wikipedia) You've posted that twice now and I don't see the relevance.
Flag
Torrance Coombs & Adelaide Kane got nominated for best actor awards in Monte Carlo (see best drama series page) http://www.tvfestival.com/dan/2014/PICS/Nommes_Compet_2014.pdf

Had to laugh - sure didn't see Greer as Leith's mother-in-law as a cliffhanger! Or the plague. I'm delighted to get caught totally off guard in the midst of inevitable plot developments. I agree the bow/hug was the best scene and was pleased to see Lily present it without captions, much as I love her captions! I think Francis was a bit ditzy to leave the castle but I don't mind; it's not every day you kill your dad, become king and find out from your (barren so far) wife she knows about your fling and that you're about to become a dad if your baby doesn't die from the plague and the gate is closing in 2 seconds. I hope Henry will haunt the castle a bit or be in newly filmed flashbacks. I hope Mary lets Francis back in as their reunions can be so sweet - let them fight after a few days of sweetness. If the men are marrying their moms, maybe they are becoming their dads and that would mean male bastard son for Francis survives, maybe named Henry, will be beloved. If Bash can be invented, so can a nephew for him. But I'm wrong about eveything but the obvious!
More+
Flag
I LOVED Bash and Kenna. 'I love you.' 'I love you too.' Like it was no big deal. Like they didn't know they were in a CW show and it should not be that simple. 'Screw that', they said. 'We're married, in love and happy. No games.' And that's consistent with how they've been as a couple the whole time. Loved it.

Leith.. way harsh, dude. Except it wasn't. I find both Greer and Leith sympathetic in this storyline and for the first time I'm genuinely excited about what's next for Leith's character. I kind-of-sort-of-secretly found him boring before. Now.. check out that backbone and sense of self-worth. Atta boy. (Love you more, Castleroy! But Castleroy does deserve somebody that loves him back so I'm less gutted if Greer leaves Castleroy for this version of Leith.)

The Sebastien and Francis scene was perfect. Appreciated Henry remembering Diane on his deathbed because man.. I miss her. And Catherine's reaction was great.

Finally.. a moment for King Henry. Twisted, awful, fabulously entertaining.
Flag
I generally agree with whatever you write but with the Leith part even more! It is the first time since Greith interacted i.e since episode 3 that I've started rooting for those two. I just think he was harsh to Greer because he was hurt which is normal when you are rejected twice in one day. Can't wait to see where this storyline goes!
Flag
Agreed. I'm not necessarily rooting for them (don't mind which way it goes atm) but I think it was a good step in turning Leith from just the cardboard cut-out Unsuitable Love Interest into a character in his own right.
Flag
I think Mary decided to lower the portcullis because she was pissed when Francis called Lola's baby 'The only child he might ever have'
And Mary got that English gown ready very quickly.
Even if Leith being granted land Greer still would have had trouble marrying him. He would have been considered an upstart, not a member of the nobility.
Flag
A few things:

1. I thought Bash and Kenna's plotline was wrapped up too easily. They were just like, oh we're happy now! I just want Bash to be a Pagan Forest King like those weird elves in LOTR who live in treehouses.

2. Mary was like follow your emotions, F and then she was like NO WAIT DONT GO WE ARE MONARCHS. Kind of flip flopped.

3. I hope Henry comes back in weird Francis madness fever dream. Sigh. I want more pantless kings.
Flag
She flipped because she found out about the plague. She knew that if he left and came back that he was risking contaminating himself and others. Just before she found out she was all ready to get Lola some help.
Flag
Elizabeth better be on the next season.
Flag
The ending absolutely broke my heart. But they will love again...I just really hope more doesn't happen with Francis and Lola. (I don't know if Lola will die or not...) I just want a happy Frary relationship but I know there has to be complications :/ And (potential historical spoiler) now I'm worried that the series will race to Francis's death...perhaps that will be the season two finale? Will they have him die from the plague? Ohhh it just makes me sad to think about :(

I'll miss King Henry's character. And I think we all suspected it would have to be Francis who killed him -- ouch at the things Henry said to him right before he died! Francis will be plagued (oh god word choice) with guilt.

Kenna and Bash are my favorite couple. They are amazing together. Thank you, CW, for getting rid of the love triangle, now please don't have Bash or Kenna die from the plague or Darkness. I have to say, I totally thought Pascal was going to kill Kenna. I love Kenna's character development - I think she may be my favorite character.

Poor Greer. I was mad at Leith for his little speech after she refused him again. I think what really sealed the deal for her with Castleroy is that she'll get to ensure her sister's happiness. Plus, Castleroy is an extremely nice guy, and he respects Greer and values her. So much awkwardness will ensue if Leith starts dating Castleroy's daughter...

It will be interesting to see how Francis rules the kingdom. I think Catherine will help him out quite a bit. I must say, I hope we get many more Catherine antics! I love her.

The plague is worrying me. I think Bash will become more involved in Paganism in order to stop or control it. His side story -- fighting the darkness, being born a pagan, his newfound love for Kenna - is my favorite.

Love your review Lily, hope you keep them up for season two!
More+
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Ugh, the ending was too sad. Mary and Francis finally started talking about the things happening to them and then another crisis comes along and they're at opposite sides again. Frary is an endless parade of angst.

I'm seriously worried on when they're going to kill Francis. Now that Lola's given birth, Mary and Francis would have been married around 9 months. That gives Francis very little time. That Nostradamus vision on the wedding episode had Mary saying they've been married for a year. Hopefully, this show forgot that vision like it forgets lots of other things.
Flag
I'm a little worried too. They flew through that timeline too fast. When they said the plague was happening but Francis was going out there I thought oh no he's gonna get sick which is how they will kill him.

Flag
lol so clever and they wil use an axe to kill Marry. What do u want a cookie?
Flag
I thought the same thing too, that they're gonna use the plague storyline later on when it's time kill off Francis. Then Mary would have more reason to resent Lola (from Laurie McCarthy's TVGuide interview, it looks like Lola's going to make it).
Flag
Yes, I kind of figure Lola will make it because if she dies it's just too simple. If she lives and is the mother of Francis's child it will be more drama for the show! But yes...I'm worried they're going to kill Francis with the plague :( But I'm hoping they don't kill him until the end of season two at the earliest.
Flag
but the author's BEST comment; "socioeconomic hierarchies will always exist no matter how they’re defined, even in a future progressive society where democracy is the ideal there would still be a monied class monopolizing jobs and resources and functioning as de facto royalty but without any of the obligations to charity our current nobles are bound to via theocratic monarchy.” OMG i managed to die of laughter, one of the few humorous things to come out from this show.
Flag
but best part of the ENTIRE show. Francis and Bash's bro hug. I NEEDED that especially since I am huge advocate of the bromance. Like I love how Francis and Bash truly see each other as brothers despite their different stations and love each other the same. That and is it just me who has noticed how both boys do not REALLY want the position of being king. I do believe some royal relationships existed like that, but royalty is fucked up, so great relationships like that were hard to find all of monarchial history.
Flag
But can we address how this kid Pascal plays a role to this darkness and prevention of a plague and how his dad was killed by Bash and yet i still cannot get a read on him? thanks, k bye.
Flag
  • What we know is this:
    • Pascal's dad was working with the darkness in some form. He demanded sacrifices and Bash killed him to protect Mary & initially that prisoner (who then died so Bash could save his and his mother's lives).
    • Pascal was known to the darkness by name (obviously because of the point I made above), and was expected to take over by making a sacrifice-Kenna, which he chose not to. Probably because she has been so nice to him.
    • The killing was supposedly supposed to keep the plague away because they were appealing the gods's wishes according to the Darkness.
    • He was only on for two episodes so I don't hink we are necessarily supposed to get much of a read on him yet. We'll see if they include him next season and for how long. I mentioned Pascal in a post I wrote further down.
    • He is distrustful of Bash for obviously reasons, however he does like Kenna.
Flag
I had many heartbreaking moments; the one on top though was Leith's speech to Greer. I couldnt deal.
But for chilling moments I had 2: the minor one was when Pascal noted that it was too quiet cause then the darkness had obviously taken out the guards. that and how Bash realized Pascal is the key to the darkness.
But my biggest bone-chiller; the shower of shooting stars cause while I do not like to be, once in a while i will get superstitious and those stars meant francis death. and while i believe people have visions, i always believe a chain of events leads to certain events playing out the way Aylee ended up dying. I need just one key event to change so that Francis doesnt die or else those shooting stars also seal a prophecy to Francis' early death.
Flag
What's going to happen in season 2 ...... Francis dies!!! Especially If season two moves at the same paceas this season..... historically he married mary in April 1558, became king in July 1559 and died in December 1560! Maybe he won't maybe season two will span a couple of months rather than almost two years but personally I hope the writers don't draw it out just to keep an audience because that would ruin the show for me.....its fast paced, smack you round the head storytelling and (maybe a little embellished BUT mostly ) accurate portrayal of the real historical moments is what makes reign such an AMAZING show!!
Flag
"one of the ships got 100 percent blown up with a cannon."
Hahaha I read that and for a second I wondered if it was supposed to be a [not so] subtle metaphor for the showrunners closing the lid on the love triangle. I loved Bash and Mary, and he was my favourite character for a long time, but man, it's so refreshing to see a CW show that essentially said hey, we don't want to do this love triangle crap anymore, so keep watching if you're ready for a more plot heavy, entertaining show, stop if you aren't.
No but silliness aside, it was a really fun finale (except losing Alan Van Sprang, who is MVP of the season for me). The whole season was such a surprise delight for me. I'm looking forward to season 2
Flag
i was waching and hoping ....but then i found wikipedia ...stroke by the real life,wont wach it anymore :( as u can gues there is no happy ending :P
Flag
I have greatly enjoyed the first season of Reign. the show was a pleasant surprise.
goodbye to king henry long live king francis (is he really gonna live long?)
the only story about this season that i m at a lost with is the thing with "the darkness". i don't really get what they wanted to tell with that story but i m willing to see what happens nxt season.

everything else i just loved loved
Flag
I was basically a series of plot points to bring us to the "we are killing so the plague won't come back" and then the plague coming, with Francis/Lola & possibly the baby being at risk which will be addressed next season.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I just hate (but honestly love at the same time cause the writing is GREAT) how they managed to conjoin the only 2 prophecied events of the plot. the darkness && a man trying to abet the plague && the thing that Francis risks contacting to be with Lola in childbirth && to what leaves Francis on his deathbed. He may not wanna be the king that ignores his heart which I could tell from the getgo, but damn, HE BETTER defeat history and come out of this. I cannot help but want to see Francis and Mary live to old age in Reign's universe. I NEED him to survive.
Flag
I think you'll be SOL on that one. The writers are embellishing history for sure but they're not ignoring it.
Flag
My absolute favorite line was when Francis said to Mary, "That's not the kind of king I want to be." Such character growth from both Francis and Mary. They've pretty much flipped positions, with Francis the one who follows his heart and Mary the more politically aware/savvy one. I think that line from Francis was spurred greatly by that beautiful Frash moment (I actually had to pause the episode because Goddamn). I think Francis decided right there that he no longer ranks being a good king above being a good husband. And I think what he's begun to rank above even being a good husband is being a good person. Not a right person, or a smart person. He's not as concerned with doing the right thing. He's only concerned with doing what his heart tells him, which is beautiful and dangerous. Also: so, so, so sick of Frary angst. Can we not have a happy couple for once? Angst isn't fun anymore. It's getting tedious and wearing down my life force.

But can we, like, go back to the moment between Francis and Bash? I…just. I don't know. I've always been sick of the ship wars and the hate on both Bash and/or Francis because of opposing ships, but can I just say that when I saw them hug each other I was more than 30000% done with Mash vs. Frary and Francis vs. Bash. They are brothers. Nothing more. You know what? I'm just going to shut up and go watch their hug about a hundred more times.
More+
Flag
So you just helped me understand what the author meant by the writers creating a ship metaphor through the mock naval battle in reference to Mash. lol, i briefly forgot shipping was a thing for OTPs that I am mad i couldn't appreciate the metaphor sooner.
Flag
- Mary doesn'r deserve Francis, He´s changed so much for her and she's only turning into Catherine.
- Francis did well going to help Lola, he will love his child, if it survives.
- Bash was a strong part of the show, he deserved a better part in the season finale.
Flag
I don't think Francis was foolish at all. I believe that he did have an obligation to Lola and the baby and I'm really proud of his decision. The biggest chill for me was probably when Greer rejected Leith. It broke my heart!
Flag
I still love Bash very much, but Leith is getting closer and closer, especially since Bash and Kenna got married. Don't get me wrong: I'm warming up to the two of them being together (Kenna has done so much better in the last few episodes), but Bash has lost a lot of his "bashion". His storyline hasn't been as compelling as the writers probably intended it, or maybe it's just me. It feels like they closed the whole "bastard brother ascending to the throne and stealing the girl " plot in a way that doesn't allow any further development: Bash is too noble a guy to cheat on his wife and he couldn't be a political threat to Francis anymore. Sure, the Darkness (not the band) and the plague. Maybe if he dove into the whole pagan subculture...
(Oh. Great scene between him and Francis, gave me the chills.)

As to Leith.. He's strong, driven, fierce, coragious, loving. Hope he won't end up like Gatsby! Lord Peppercorn's daughter seems interesting enough (it's gonna be sooo awkward), so this is a storyline I hope they don't mess up!

Really sad about Henry's demise. He was such a mesmerizing presence, such a charismatic character... What a loss! (Even though he was so deranged that it wasn't fun anymore)

His death means Catherine will have one less excuse to prove invaluable. What a wonderful wonderful villain/antagonist.

I was thinking about all the great characters the show has brought to life. Some are lovely, some are vile, some annoying, but most of them would leave a big hole in dying/leaving. Most of them, I said.
I really really really can't bring myself to care for Lola, as I couldn't find Olivia interesting (brief moment of impaling priests with their own crucifix aside). Does she live? Does she die? Who cares!
(I know, I am an horrible human being)

So long, Reign. Looking forward to another season of gowns, sidebraids, bashion, intrigue and Catherine.

More+
Flag
I love Bash also more than I've ever liked Francis but as of late he's since his marriage he's lost his Bashiness the thing that makes who he is, I said it in my comment way down that next season I'd love Bash to be more involved in the story and explore his darker nature.
Flag
So about the Bash thing. While he supposedly is like his father, I think these kills will affect him more as the show goes on. like honestly, looking at Bash's face when the 2nd shooting star came down, I literally saw his face go "oh shit", was i TOO quick to kill that guy that he wasnt lying about the plague thing. then i think his background will get involved cause despite being Catholic, his pagan background probably has already instilled some superstition in him demonstrated in believing Nostry's prophecies. AND then he will develop a complex with people dying and especially if Francis dies that he distances himself from Kenna. AND that is where his nobleness could definitely be a fault of his cause he will feel guily then he will question everything and not forgive himself cause he is haunted by his decisions the way his Dad was.
Flag
Oh I agree with you, while I'm happy that a love triangle has ended in favor of committed relationships, I do agree that it has taken signifigant plots away from Bash. In fact, he was my favorite of the two brothers and now I just find Francis more compelling to follow.
Flag
Well it does not help that they gave Francis more to do. I mean since Bash got married, it has been him trying to adjust being with Kenna along with going after the Darkness. As for Francis, you have him helping Mary with politics, dealing with his dad, promising & breaking promises to Mary, Calais, more dealing with his dad and finally killing his dad then finding out he was going to be a father. Francis has had more to do, which is disappointing because Bash does deserve a good storyline.
Flag
Part of why Francis has more to do though is that he is more directly linked to Mary now. If Bash was still involved with Mary, I could've easily seen him involved in the assassination of Henry plot and maybe even taking Francis's role in killing Henry. Mary is the story of the show when all is said and done, and the further his storyline gets away from her (romantically or not), the more he will continue to lose storylines.
Flag
This episode was everything. I think it brought the journeys of Mary and Francis full circle to where we started this show with.

In the pilot, Francis was determined to be cold and rational and continue to put France first. But as the season has progressed, he was become much more reliant on his heart. He is not afraid of letting his emotions have a part in his choices.

And Mary, who was once so driven by her heart hardened. She has become like Catherine. But where she still differs is that she can still show vulnerability. That talk between Francis and her was gorgeous. I loved her courage in saying she worries she will change into someone he cannot love, and his response, urging them to share their darkness and burdens and how that might lead them to forgive themselves- Good lord!

I also think Francis did the right thing going to see Lola, especially given his conversation with his father. I loved him following his heart.

The Catherine/Henry goodbye was wonderful- save that Diane crap.

Kenna/Bash may have the most uncomplicated love story on this show and I enjoy it,

I support Greer's choice and I think she could love Castleroy eventually but I felt sad for Leith. However, his speech was so bitter and I feel he will use Castleroy's daughter. I cannot condone that- if he does that it will ruin him forever for me.

And I know I don't have to say anything about the Francis/Bash moment but it was the highlight of the episode. Some things to note:1) I am happy to see Francis and Bash get along again. Part of the sting Francis felt when Bash tired to take his place, was that Bash was his person(think Christina/Meredith on Grey's) 2) Have you noticed how many important Reign scenes take place in hallways? It is interesting not just in terms of staging but because hallways represent between two places and in that moment, Francis was between his past and his future and clearly feeling lost. In the background, note ALL of the servants dropping to their knees to cement Francis's new station, with the traditional call, "the king is dead, long live the king" and when he sees Bash, and Bash moves to acknowledge his station, he cared nothing for it- because he sees Bash as he always has- he brother, his person. I cried. Just perfect staging and great acting.

More+
Flag
Actually though, cause while Francis seems to be following his heart more. I can swear that his heart told him to fuck his dad up, especially since I am just processing how Francis DID say he saw how he saw his dad touch her. That was probably when he got so pissed he though to take out Uncle DeGuise and replace him. And for all we know, Francis might have figured that Uncle put Mary up to the subtle power grab. We dont know how long Francis was milling around. I can just see him brimming over the top to confess to Mary how he was DEFINITELY at the jousting match. Remember how he talks about not wanting his father to leave that way so mad at him. And with Mary closing the gate on Francis for who knows how long the conversation of how they are changing and growing up DEFINITELY needs to happen.
Flag
Henry hitting on Mary was probably part of it but I tend to think it was the horrific realization that Henry had troops ready to set sail the next day to England plunging France into a war they couldn't win(decimated after Calais) and wouldn't recover from that probably changed his mind. Hence the riding home instead of rounding up the generals which was his original plan, hence the not revealing himself when he got back to the castle- the fact that he stayed hidden and was not announced meant he probably was already plotting prior to witnessing Henry try to hit on Mary at the joust, hence the killing the king instead of trying to put him out to pasture. I think the horrified look on Francis' face at the shore probably was meant to tell the audience that was the moment his resolve hardened. When Francis took Uncle De Guise's army to Calais remember the French army had already been dispatched by Henry- they were going to lose without Francis' idea of using uncle De Guise's army to flank the English. They had to fight at that point, it was the only option but here Francis learns in advance of the military deployment- unlike last time he is in a position to stop it if he holds power. I think that is why we see his choice here.
More +
Flag
How Frances killed Henry kind of bothered me, not the fact that he did it, I like that he did what had to be done and removed Henry from the picture all together, but you can't deliberately kill someone like that during a joust. Knights would hit each other in the helmet all the time, in fat it was encouraged, there would be no way to ensure a small sliver would break off and get in his eye like that. The only way to kill a guy during a joust would be entirely conspicuous and anyone watching would be able to tell it was on purpose. You could cheat and do something to the lance but he wouldn't have had time to do that, its not like Henry was planning on jousting, it was a spur of the moment thing and to rig the lance would mean to make it in such a way that it would pierce the armor so you couldn't just doing something to it on the fly. How the scene played out kind of annoyed me because it was a one in a million thing and there would be no way to do it deliberately.
Flag
I don't think that he planned to do it that way - the plan was probably just to injure him and then make sure he died. But this is actually the way King Henry did die - from a splintered lance in a joust.
Flag
So is Greer going to end up being Leith’s mother in law or... ? I felt that Leith was genuinely disappointed in Greer's cold calculations rather than being romantically over-charged with the possibilities; maybe even turned-off. What a great story-line for the opening of Season II...

What should Francis have done? Was he foolish to leave the castle, or did he have an obligation to Lola and the baby? Francis plays a nobleman. His character has been written to do what is right, no matter what the cost. He plays a wonderful contrast to his beloved wife who is changing with the tide. I feel that if he'd had a "heartbeats chance" to think over his leaving the castle in haste, he may have reconsidered, but instinctively he did what was true to his nature.

Is there any possible way to bring King Henry back, or his he officially history? Unfortunately, King Henry is history. Nonetheless, I loved the tribute you gave to both the character and the actor. I enjoyed every moment of watching the shocking behavior of this power-hungry leader that was so well played by Alan Van Sprang.

Will Mary ultimately deny Francis a return to the castle? We know that Francis dies with Mary lovingly at his side. However, this scenario is telling of Mary's character development. Mary has had months to put her feelings of this bastard child to rest and she is on a mission to be the next queen of England. Mary's character has graduated from being vulnerable to savvy and she is focused on her prize; The very prize that will historically take her own life.

Lola’s baby: boy, girl, name, royal bastard, what will happen? Logically, I think that both Lola and the baby will die from the plague with Francis not too far behind. Unfortunately, as much as I have adored the innocent relationship between the young queen and prince, this season finale made it very clear that the writers are going to stay true to Mary Queen of Scots ruthless historical timeline. If season II moves as quickly as season I, I could see a whole new cast by the end of next season set in Scotland where Mary is returned by Queen Catherine after the death of King Francis.

What moment gave you the biggest chill? The moment where Francis was so desperate to confess his guilty conspiracy to murder his father and Mary was compassionately beginning to let her hardened guard down; Only to be interrupted by the letter from Lola. It was a major transitional moment when Mary collectively put her thoughts together and shared news with her husband that she knew would send him away. It was a heartbreaking to see that last shred of innocence she may have possessed fall to the wayside, especially at the cost of her true love... Francis.
More+
Flag
I really enjoyed this post. Thank you.
Flag
Loved it all! Except the whole Lola thing. I was too optimistic that the slutty Lola would not ruin Mary's life with an illegitimate heir so early. Mary was so badass the whole hour to throw it all out like the baby with the bath water in the end, it broke my heart. Maybe she is hoping the plague will take out Francis and his kid and she will gain three crowns in one fell swoop?
I can't believe how much i love Castleroy. Seriously Lord Pepper rules!
Thank God he saved Greer from herself, glad he is up to the job of keeping her from throwing away her life, and the lives of her sisters too.
"This is the moment when you threw away love"
Really? C'mon dude, her love for her sisters trumps any crush, how can you not admire that?
Seeing Mary in the English Coat of Arms, and the people rally for her was the best moment of the whole season. And that is saying something when a King lays writhing in pain with a lance splinter in his eye.
Flag
  • Mary cannot remain queen of France without Francis. If Francis is dead, then the crown would go to his younger brother Charles and Catherine would be appointed to help him rule (aka a regent) since she has no children with Francis. If her and Francis did have a child (preferably a son), the she would be the child's regent until he was considered old enough to rule (back then it was 14 I believe, although they would still have one or more people advising him/her). If Mary had given Francis a daughter, then the crown might have passed to Charles anyway.
  • Leith knew that she had to marry someone rich. What he refused to think about was that she might have gotten engaged since he was sent off. I can't remember if she told him about her father's letter that mentioned that he had sent a possible suitor but I do know that he saw her reading the letter. He also failed to realize exactly how much would be needed in order for her family to be ok. What he received from Francis could not trump what Castleroy was providing (he even knew that Castleroy had been courting her). I know he is upset but she told him that she could not be with him more than once and why. Having hope is one thing, but choosing not to keep what you already know in mind is only going to lead to heartbreak.
More +
Flag
YES. That moment between Francis and Bash was perfection. I, too, had genuine chills.

Anyone else think this episode's title was meant to be "Slaughter of Innocents" and someone messed it up? I mean, when Bash said the line, that's how I (grammatically) understood it…
Flag
Medieval_Madness is right. But i also think it is a matter of Mary closing the gate on Francis (though that action is not so definite in what it means) and how shes making a power grab over her husband although to give people hope. It is also about how they both have made some decisions and led to some people being killed in the name of protection. However it is killing just the same and they feel responsible as that responsibility comes with being rulers and why Francis is like we cannot justify our actions though they can find ways to come to peace with them.
There is also Bash because I know that he suspects that in not listening to the pagan man he risked bringing a plague upon the country in which it comes to fruition like THE NEXT day. Back then a little (not overboard) superstition could probably save you when medicine was not as advanced as it is now.
Flag
IMO, "Slaughter of Innocence" is correct. Innocence is defined as "being innocent of a crime or offence" or "a lack of experiences with the world and the bad things that happen in life". By the end of this episode, Francis has lost his innocence because he is guilty of murder, the crime of patricide. And in this episode, both Francis and Mary no longer have a lack of experience with the world and the bad things that happen in life. It is a certainty that their Innocence has been slaughtered. Forever.
Flag
I think Alan Van Sprang was an amazing actor but am I glad that King Henry is gone! Where some might have enjoyed his antics, they were getting on my nerves.

I understand that certain people are upset with Leith for not understanding why Greer can't marry him, but I fully support Leith for walking away. He's got the titles, he's got everything that she would marry a stranger for. I understand that Lord Castleroy can give her sisters a secure future, but like Leith said not everything has to rest on Greer her shoulders. I think that's going to bring a lot of drama with it next season.

Francis and Mary are going to go through hell next season. Their relationship is balancing on the edge and where I am sure most people support Mary in being angry that Francis left, I fully support Francis for leaving. I understand that he made a choice going into plague invested towns, but this is his child we are talking about, not some stranger. I am not a parent myself, but I would do anything for my children if I were to have them and I feel that Francis would do the same. He's been pushed aside by his father because his father wanted to rule more than be a father to him and Francis does not want to become King Henry.

I think it's absurd that Henry requested Katherine to be friends with Diane once he died. Are you serious? I know there is something utterly wrong with Henry, but you cannot expect your wife and mistress to be friends. Come on!

I think the entire Darkness plot line is a little bit blah, but we'll see what happens next season. As long as Kenna and Bash will love each other, I will be fine.

Ugh, was a rollercoaster.
More+
Flag
  • Leith does not yet have a title. Francis explained that he himself could not give him a title that only Henry could and now was not the time time ask. What Leith does have is lands, money, which is not enough for Greer's family.
    • Her father is obviously losing money as many of his mines have dried up, so much so that he tried to get Castleroy to invest in one or more of them only to find out that Castleroy did his research and knew the state that those mines were in.
    • Greer's family are not nobles, they were merely rich. Since there are no boys in the family, particularly and older brother than that does in fact make it Greer's problem to do what is best for her family.
      • If Greer marries Castleroy, then she gets a title, along with dowry's for her sisters (Castleroy offered up I believe 10,000 Francs for each sister), along with it becoming Greer's decision on the final say of who the girls will marry (so they can marry for love and not have the weight of the family on their shoulders).
      • If she were to marry Leith, he has no title at the moment, he does not have the wealth Castleroy has thus cannot guarantee dowry's for her sisters, nor can he help with her father's financial problems. He does not have any business experience and already has to maneuver dealing with the orchards and other businesses he has just acquired, plus has to get used to dealing with the royals, merchants, and upper class (but below royals) among other things. What would happen if he screwed up financially or something and lost his money (most or all of it)? Then what could he do for Greer or her family? Even if he were to become a noble, he is too recent a one for him to gain enough respect where he could arrange better marriages for her sisters. If she were to marry Leith (she would have to elope), then her father would disown her, and then the pressure that Greer is currently facing would be pushed onto the next oldest sister.
More +
Flag
Francis hugging Bash

'nuf said

By far the most moving scene i've witnessed amongst the wave of finale's this season
Flag
There have been so many powerful finals this week with brilliant heart breaking/warming moments and that moment was up there with the best.
Flag
I hope Greer marries Castleroy and falls in love with him over time. I like Leith but if he can't get it through his head that Greer can't just do whatever the heck she wants in the name of ~~true love... then I don't want him to be with her.
Flag
While I agree with you, I should remind you that Leith is from the lower class, while Greer, though not a noble, is still part of the upper class. She was raised knowing that since there was no brother to do it, then she had to marry well so her sisters could marry well. Leith was told this more than once, yet he does not understand the rules of the upper class. He has a lot to learn-financial stuff, how to run his businesses, hob nobbing with the royals and other upper class, etc. When he was a member of the lower class, Leith could afford to marry for love, where as a member of the upper class Greer could not. He is still new to being rich and does not understand the rules.
Flag
Too true. I love how Greer turned out, she's deeply aware of financial matters because she wants a good future for her sisters. If Leith doesn't think that's true love then he needs to check his own priorities.
Flag
I agree. He was so butt hurt that she wouldn't abandon her sisters to poverty. "This is the moment you threw away love-" Oh just shut up!
Flag
Worse than poverty. Her father would have sold them to skeevy old rich perverts.
Flag
Ew, I forgot that part. :(
Flag
Some thoughts on this episode:

1) OH MY GOD. This was an all-around amazing season (I don't recall a single episode that was filler, or even slightly boring), and this finale was just spectacular. Great performances by all the actors, bravo!

2) Did anyone else think that red-headed girl looked EXACTLY like Greer, but with red hair? Like, I did a double-take both times she was on screen. Maybe that's why Leith likes her...

3) As for Lord Pepper, did he ever mention he had a kid? For a second I thought that girl was going to be his mistress or something and we'd end up with a weird love rectangle, but thankfully that wasn't the case. We're just having a weird i-used-to-date-your-stepmom relationship instead.

4) Leith was SUPER harsh on Greer. Sadly, Greer does need to think of her responsibilities, especially that jerk dad of hers. I do admit Leiths speech was badass, but really, I think he should have understood.

5) For a second, when the Darkness showed up at Kenna's house, I thought it was Clarissa! Where is that girl, anyway?

6) Did the Darkness have 'the sight', or was it all pure coincidence? In fact, does Nostradamus even have the sight, or is it just the hallucinations of a sick man?

7) Lola really has the absolute worst life. Broke, 'widowed', giving birth to a bastard child in a plague infested house while possibly dying... You left Narnia for this??

8) Bash and Kenna *heart eyes*. This unlikely pair really grew on me.

9) Anytime Catherine and Mary team up is just amazing. They're the smartest people on the show, and together they can do anything. #MYSTERYGIRLZ
More+
Flag
  • Well, Lola is not broke her family does have money that was why she went to pay her brothers gambling debts. Lola, unlike Greer, has a family with a title. Also, the woman did not look sick at all so the house may not be plague infested (not that the woman, Lola or someone else could not get the plague, but the place is not plague infested).
  • As for Castleroy, no he did not mention that he had a kid.
  • Leith does not understand the rules of the upper class. He is still thinking of lower class rules where one has the ability to marry more for love than anything else.
Flag
Oops! My bad, I was thinking of Greer.
Seeing as we can assume that those mass of people that died in Nostradamus' vision were ill (and maybe Francis too!), I think it's likely a plague came into the castle, most probably via Francis bringing back Lola.
Flag
to #6, i believe the sight back then was just REALLY good predictions skills of an on the low statistician. When certain events happen that make a prophecy come true. I refuse to believe that negative destinies come true unless you do stuff to stop it while still living your life. Following your heart is usually my answer to preventing negative destinies. That and just consistently believing there is better even if there is not always. For good destinies coming true, it kinda of is the same. living life and following your heart, shit will eventually line up so that at least you will die happy.

for #8, i saw the greatness in that pair from the ONE time they had drunken chat together. it couldve been Lola but I saw Kenna as a better match for him when she chilled with her superficiality and Bash got over Mary.
Flag
re: #7 - that made me lol. :)
Flag
I totally saw the resemblance between redhead and Greer too.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members