A Reign Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

Reign S01E13: "The Consummation"

Despite being so visually rich and sartorially ravishing, not to mention boasting some of the best performances we’ve seen on Reign so far, “The Consummation” was at times very hard to watch. This has nothing to do with Frances vs. Bash, as the history books dictated that if there was going to be a wedding, Francis would have to be the groom. But the complete lack of sacrifice by Mary to regain Francis’s love and the absolute queasiness of Bash watching the consummation itself, dear Lord... that was too much for these old eye-bones of mine. Also I’m still not 100 percent solid on how Francis’s fate changed. The explanation that, because Clarissa was Catherine’s “real” firstborn, the prophecies surrounding Francis were no longer valid—that seems more like a loophole in a legal contract, not a tenet of mysticism. Nostradamus’s visions are just that: visual. We see footage whenever Nosty’s eyes roll back with the second sight or he puts on the ol' auto-erotic-asphyxiation noose, we don’t hear a voiceover, so how could he confuse Clarissa and Francis based on birth order? And, really, why is ANYONE trusting these visions, considering Nostradamus conjures them up by depriving his brain of oxygen? I for one will certainly think twice before rescheduling anything based on my giant, leatherbound copy of Vaticinia Nostradami

As upsettingly as it ended, the episode started with maybe my favorite opening scene of the season: Catherine having a costume rehearsal of her own beheading and generally approaching her execution like it was a Kardashian wedding. Fresh flowers! Fine jewelry! Ships of gold and silver! One hundred musicians! What songs did she even have planned?!

And Mary de Guise came in throwing shade and wearing statement jewelry and she was everything! Amy Brenneman’s Mary de Guise was so fantastically, royally over it. She was coolly superior and brimming with acid and able to lay down an epic guilt trip, like when she told Mary, “I was there for your eleventh birthday... half the ship’s crew died along the way but I was there, gift in hand.” 

Since Mary very rarely gets the chance to see her mother, she was going full steam ahead with this first and possibly last opportunity to totally rebel and piss off the woman who brought her into the world, the proud birthright of all teens everywhere. Mary came up with a scheme rebellious enough to compensate for an entire lost adolescence of jabs, shouting matches, and passive-aggressive silent treatments: She decided to elope with Bash before the Pope had even legitimized him as the heir to the throne. Bash was like, “This is the best day of my life. I will go find a preacher. Surely nothing will interfere with this great plan for the twenty minutes I’m about to be offscreen. Sex tonight: You, me, it’s happening.” Like a lamb to the slaughter guys, like a lamb to the slaughter.

Little did Bash realize, there were two more guests intent on crashing Catherine’s Super Sweet Execution. Francis and Lola up and rolled in with an extremely shady story about how they met up at Chateau What’s-It-Called by chance and had definitely never effed, nope, why would anyone think that LOL moving on what are you guys up to [awkward silence]? Kenna—who was dressed like Nostradamus made her gown while envisioning avant garde evening wear circa 1992—wasn’t having any of Lola’s bedtime stories.

Of course, everything else in the scene was overshadowed by Francis and Mary making eye contact for the first time since she knocked him from his throne to his knees and demanded his half-brother’s hand in marriage. We’ve all been there. 

And yet even as they quietly prepared to say goodbye to each other for the rest of their lives, Nostradamus was telling Catherine he’d made a whoopsie and his latest vision of Francis’s future with Mary was completely different! Now he saw them softly lit like in a '70s soap opera, pillow talkin’ about their rugrats. Catherine verily burst a vein at how much angst she’d gone through in the last twelve episodes and promised Nostradamus he would burn to death for this if everything didn’t get fixed back the way it was. Hahahaha honesty is the best policy, right Nostradamus? 

Catherine then told Mary the good news, and to prove she wasn’t just bluffing to save her own life SLIT HER WRIST IN FRONT OF MARY. I once commended Catherine for being the 16th century's answer to Revenge's Victoria Grayson, but Victoria Grayson has never delivered a moment this intensely, insanely dramatic and over-the-top. No, Reign’s Catherine de Medici makes Victoria Grayson look like Maude Flanders by comparison. Mary bound up Catherine’s crazy prove-a-point fatal wound but was now herself torn—if Francis was a viable option, who would she rather choose? Luckily she had allll the time in the world to decide, right, it’s not like the Queen of England had just died or... OH SNAP!

Catherine herself would settle Mary’s internal dispute later in the episode, by handing her a blank letter and telling her it was from the Pope and revealed whether Bash was legitimized or not. Presumably, when she hoped the Pope had not extended that courtesy to Bash, she realized she really wanted Francis. The most powerful thing about this scene wasn't that Mary loved Francis, but that Catherine was able to help Mary understand a fundamental truth about herself, and had faith in her agency and gave her that choice. These two arch nemesis now weirdly understand and trust each other more than any other two characters on the show.

Bash and Francis have made the reverse negative of this journey, as their fistfight in a cemetery proved. They’ve gone from being close, non-competitive bros to putting fists in each other’s faces amidst headstones. And their dad didn’t exactly help by insisting that Mary marry one of them THAT VERY NIGHT because MARY TUDOR IS DEAD DAMMIT and WE SHALL RULE SCOTLAND ENGLAND AND FRONCE! FOR THE GLORY OF FRONCE I TELL YOU!!!

Did y’all miss King Henry? Gosh I missed King Henry. I was starting to worry that King Henry had fallen into the same oubliette as Olivia and Leith, Kitchen Boy. But he was back and ready to shout important statecraft advice at teen rulers and make bold layering choices once more. Mary called him a bully for insisting that she wed one of his boys before the sun came up, but Henry was simply putting Fronce first. It was CRISIS TIME for Catholic Europe, people! Although even with England finally in his grasp, war imminent, Mary willfully defying him, and the succession of his throne hanging in the balance, he cleared a few minutes for Kenna. I mean, she was NAKED under that robe, except for T-strap Mary Janes, so what choice did he have? Kenna had something like a business proposition to offer: She’d be cool with being the King’s Vice Mistress for a few weeks if he would find her a suitable husband. Henna is back on y’all! Does anyone call them “Henna”? I suddenly feel so alone.

Anyway, because of Catherine’s fake Pope letter, Mary realized she wanted to marry Francis. For those of you rooting for this couple, the third act of the show must have been a nonstop delight. Mary ran down a candlelit hallway and threw herself into his arms, and I have to say I hope that kind of dramatic full-skirted dim-hallway dash is something we all get to experience at least once in our lives. 

The wedding was a full circle moment, transforming Mary from the insecure girl dancing around dressed in black to a beautiful bride all in white, etc. But to be completely real I wish the writers had kept her feelings more ambiguous. I wish the Pope had illegitimized Bash and she’d been rushed into marrying Francis, or that Bash had disappeared or really anything that would have made her decision a leadership call rather than a personally interested decision. The tension of not knowing who Mary loved more was adding to the story, and I can’t see how they can rekindle that tension without risking Mary’s consistency as a character.

But hey, this show has established a track record of pleasantly surprising me. Maybe the writers have better developments up their skirts and wanted to kill the love triangle trope rather than see it grow tedious. I am genuinely curious to see where they take this.

After the music video montage of a wedding, we experienced a staggering set of reveals: Clarissa is alive, well, and already playing mind games with Nostradamus. Mary Tudor is still alive, Mary de Guise falsified that information to push Mary to choose Francis (yes, everyone was named Mary back then, good planning, Tudor-era moms and dads). And Nostradamus’s vision of Francis and Mary suddenly revealed a secret twist after the wedding ceremony: Francis is going to die of Melted Brain! 

Aaaaannnnnnnnd King Henry made Bash come in and watch Mary and Francis Doin’ It, which made me genuinely queasy, even though they were both wearing linen nightdresses the size of circus tents. Reign has heretofore been almost unadulterated wish fulfillment (even when Mary is threatened, it’s pretty glamorous, like getting almost assassinated by a LUSH bath bomb), but then suddenly this moment popped up and it was so incredibly disturbing it caught me like a karate kick to the nose and mouth. I can’t think of a consummation ceremony at all without wincing like my nails are going across a chalkboard, but one attended by an ex-boyfriend? I shudder. I shudder forever.

And now Bash is running for his life! But no matter how far or how fast he runs, he can never escape the mental imagery of his brother getting it on because that is burned into his brain forever and it’s just not right. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that’s just not right. Bad move, King Henry, your parenting skills are very, very, very questionable. 

Although I think we can all agree, Nostradamus made the right call not revealing the Melted Brain Ear Bleeds Twist Ending on his latest vision. 

QUESTIONS:

... Was Mary out of line disowning her mother the way she did, considering that Francis was her choice of a husband anyway?

... Can (or should) the writers continue with the Bash-Francis-Mary love triangle? How could that be best accomplished?

.. Was making Bash watch the consummation the most disturbing thing you’ve seen on this show, including that time a horse got its head chopped off?

... Kenna and Henry: spicy, extra spicy, or original flavor?

... Should Nostradamus maybe focus on being the best doctor he can be and just stay mum on his vision quests for a while?

... Who thinks Lola is pregnant?

... What did you think of "The Consummation"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

291 Comments
Comments (291)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I can no longer keeping reassuring myself with 'its part of the storyline' because Mary keeps turning in different directions. I was soooo happy when she and Bash were to be married, and he looked overjoyed as well when they had their sweet moments in the corridors and stuff. It truly made me go 'awww'. But now Mary doesn't even bat an eyelash and seems to just casually toss away the whole ordeal with Bash when PSMing king Francis walks back in. UGHHH, Maryyyy whyyy??? i cri for Bash
Flag
Oh no! I hadn't considered Lola being pregnant. That would be a bummer for all involved!
Flag
Flag
This review is hilarious . Thanks for the laugh! I'm starting to not like Mary . She a cold hearted thing. Her emotions turn on and off. And the frequently used phrase"as I am wed " is really getting on my nerves.
Flag
So much debate going on! All I'm gonna say is... Francis' face at the wedding and reception was adorable! Also, I loved Mary's wedding dress. It was georgous!
Flag
I can't wait until Francis dies...

Is that mean of me to say?
Flag
Nostradamus didn't really see the whole vision the 1st time, he just saw Mary & Francis together which was inevitable, heard them talking about kids & made his own conclusions.

Mary's mother was the conniving you know what I expected. What I didn't expect was Kenna realizing that Frola happened (I still cringe thinking about it) & she realized how to "play" the King better, Kenna all grown up Awww!

As always Catherine stole the show, with her wedding + funeral planning, with her wrist-slitting & ultimately making Mary realize who she really wanted.

For the Glory of Fronce hahahahah still laughing with that one.
Yes I admit tearing up when Mary ran to kiss Francis & I also want a dramatic full-skirted dim-hallway dash. And actually crying when Nostradamus saw the full vision with Francis dying.

I don't think it was the Queen or Francis who tried to kill Bash in the end, too obvious & this show is never obvious.

- Actually I loved Mary "telling off" her mother
- I know Bash seeing the consummation is cringe-worthy but wow I applaud the writers. No I've seen a lot worse.
- Actually if Mary thinks that Francis tried to kill Bash, it could make her rethink the marriage.
- Kenna & Henry, spicy
- Nostradamus should stop telling the Queen visions of Francis, if he wants his head to stay in place.
- Lola pregnant would be cringe-worthy
- More happened in "Consummation" then happens in a whole season of other shows. I saw it twice.

More+
Flag
I still don't get what the deal with the blank piece of paper was? Was Catherine' point that Bash was not legitimized yet? And why did Mary feel the need to show it to Francis?
Flag
Mary had a chance to think about what she wanted it to say before opening it. Then once she saw it was blank, she knew what her heart wanted -- Francis.
Flag
Thanks!!
Flag
You're welcome!
Flag
Lily, can't believe you didn't mention one of the best moments of this episode. I laughed so hard when Mary de Guise basically told Lola and Kenna to quit their gossiping and do there job. I have a feeling if she was around more those ladies might actually help Mary once in awhile.
Flag
I don't think the triangle is over. The show is kinda built on it.
Flag
Bash IS the better man, but now I think he's too good 4 Mary. He put up w a lot of crap 4 her, including ppl trying to kill him 4 times, and now he's just chucked away. He's only in this situation b/c of Mary.
Flag
I find it interesting that both sides think the other side is the selfish person when they both, actually all three, are still pretty immature and selfish. They all have flaws which is why they are all interesting in their own ways.
While Francis and Mary do both tend to think of what they need to do for their countries they also still both tend to get emotional and make quick decisions without thinking of all of the consequences of those decisions. Francis obviously with turning to others whenever Mary hurts him instead of actually dealing with the emotions.
Mary, for her part, changed the line of succession to save Francis and herself and did not really think of how many lives, besides Francis and her, that it would send into turmoil.
And while all of the Bash fans see it as noble, Bash really is acting selfishly as far as doing everything for Mary, because in the end, he really is doing it to try and prove to Mary that he is better for her than Francis (his brother mind you!) and not really just to do it. He killed the thief to protect himself, he left court with Mary to protect himself from the wrath of the king, he agreed to the plan not only to save Francis but to save himself and get Mary. And while I absolutely do not want to imply or have anyone think he did not care the truth is his cousin may not have died during childbirth if she hadn't been running away through the woods to protect Bash's secret. He is willing to risk anything or kill anyone for Mary not just to protect her but to win her love. That is dangerous and more than a tad bit selfish and what happens when he does earn her love because he really has not been that loyal to anyone but Mary not even his family.
In the end do we really know how either Bash or Francis will treat Mary outside of the triangle.
Will Francis be true if he doesn't think that he is battling Bash for Mary's attention? After all, his biggest mess ups both occurred when he thought Mary's affections were turned to his older brother who in the beginning he obviously looked up to and admired.
And do we really have any idea how Bash would have been with Mary if they had been the ones to marry? So far all of his dealings with Mary have been attempts to show her how he was better than Francis and would serve her first. Once he had "won" how would they have progressed? Does anyone really think that someone as strong as Bash would not eventually lose the puppy dog, awestruck, do anything she says way that he has been acting? We saw it a little with the younger brothers. And yes, they made up but that was with a good outcome, what if the outcome had been a bad one?
While each of us may think that either Francis or Bash is a better match I really don't think that we need to make either of them the awful people that we do here on the boards. I think all three are flawed characters trying to do or get what they think is best for them and/or their country. I am not sure any of them were looking to hurt the other two, I just think that they didn't really think about who their decisions were going to hurt in the long run.
Sorry this was so long!
More +
Flag
Very well said. Totally agree that all three have flaws. Since most Bash fans don't think he does, I just like to point it out. Kudos to you for going into such detail. I'm too lazy for all that! lol
Flag
I wouldn't say he's the better man at all. All the Francis haters conveniently forget that Bash killed that thief just to protect himself and his mother from being found out. How honorable, indeed! I like his character but he's not innocent.
Flag
Self-preservation / not wanting to die is a pretty strong motive and understandable. He is still honorable and nobody's perfect (it was a one time thing).
Flag
Well, I never said anyone is perfect but you can't just kill someone because you think something may possibly happen in the future. The thief never threatened him, just seemed happy Bash didn't kill him and string him up in the woods.
Flag
SAIZEN33, that lesson from his father didn't come until Henry wanted to execute Catherine...much, much later.
Flag
He felt that he couldn't take that chance. He did learn from his father to cut down any threat, so he did.
Flag
Agreed. But at no point has Bash cheated on Mary, or made her cry, or been rude and mean to her. He openly had an affair with Olivia cuz he was mad at Mary. He then slept with her friend. I mean, he had a LOT a women to pick from, & Lola was 1/3 women he KNEW he shouldn't have sex with.
Flag
Yes, Francis should not have slept with Olivia but he did say to Mary that their engagement was kind of on hold, that she could spend time with others (just not Bash) but he would be at her side if the timing was right for France & England for them to marry. Also, I don't think he would have done it if he hadn't seen Mary & Bash kissing and felt betrayed by his brother.

Regarding Lola, I don't blame Francis for that one. He was gone from court after Mary decided to marry Bash instead and he'd lost his title & inheritance. He had no plans to return to court or to ever see Mary again. Lola, on the other hand, shouldn't have done it since she was still going to be at court with Mary.
Flag
Francis NEVER lost his title. It was a possibility, but hadn't happened yet. He was still a Prince while in Paris. He just gave up & decided to leave court tho. Francis KNEW there was a good chance of that happening but left anyways. Bastards being legitimized don't normally have high % rates. UNLESS the rest of the family's dead, like w Queen Elizabeth I. Francis gets 50% of the blame.
Flag
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should, especially with Mary's friend. Francis does deserve some blame, too. Bash has not been legitimized yet, so Francis only lost the title temporarily. He shouldn't have taken that chance with things not being settled.
Flag
I'm no annoyed that everyone is mad @ bash. Mary more or less, forced him into marrying her. It wasn't his idea. HE was going to just pine for her, but then MARY proposed to him b/c of reasons. Now his father & brother are mad at him? His brother exhiled him, & dad forced him to watch his brother having sex w his ex fiance 4 doing what Mary asked of him? LAME!
Flag
LOL Mary really didn't have to force Bash into it, he seemed pretty willing. In his own words, Francis felt betrayed by a brother he loved. Bash had the hots for Mary since she arrived even though she was engaged to his brother. I understand why Francis is still upset. Bash was cocky in the graveyard when Francis tried to talk to him reasonably. Bash showed no remorse and said "She came with me willingly and she'll stay with me.". It sure didn't seem like he felt bad about stripping Francis of his title, inheritance and the woman he loved and was about to marry. Then when Francis went to talk to Bash in his room, Bash was very aggressive and almost demanded that Francis let him stay at court. Francis told him he was sorry how things went but Bash didn't even have the decency to do the same. Then Bash had the nerve to talk about there finally being truth between them when Bash was the one in love with his brother's fiancée. He never even admitted to kissing Mary and Francis even had said to him then that there are too many secrets between them and at another point "Let that be the last lie you tell me". So I think Bash deserves Francis' reaction. However, I don't think that Francis told his guards to kill Bash. That would just be too obvious.
More +
Flag
I disagree. Bash himself made NO play for the crown. Until Mary public demanded to marry him. Bash honestly believed what Nostrodomas said was true, even once saying "when he's wrong, I often wonder if we misinterpreted" Once he was already in the situation of being engaged did he then allow himself to really fall in love with Mary. Then to have that so abruptly take away from him was harsh. I'm not saying what happened to Francis wasn't hard 4 him, but at least Bash didn't rub it in his face, or exhile him.
Flag
Bash did not make a play for the crown but he had shared a kiss with Mary and showed no remorse for kissing his brothers girl. He also openly pined for her, so much so that most people at court knew he wanted her. And let's be honest, Bash did not agree to Mary's plan just to save Francis. That may have been part of it but he also saved himself from the chopping block and got Mary in the process. Bash did not have a chance to rub it in Francis' face or send him away because Francis removed himself from the situation and left court on his own. I do not think that Bash every showed that he was at all conflicted about taking everything including Mary away from Francis. He was constantly telling Mary how much better he was than Francis. So let's be honest and admit that neither brother is really behaving well to the other right now.
Flag
SAIZEN33, I couldn't reply to your post directly -- Anyway, Bash may have been conflicted in that episode (1.9) but he definitely wasn't in the next three. Repeatedly talking about how he's not Francis and how he would put Mary first, blah, blah...Then in The Consummation trying to imply that he had been with Mary also? And boldly declaring she would stay with him. Also, Francis used the word sorry twice during their encounters in the graveyard then in Bash's room also. I never heard sorry once from Bash's lips.
Flag
Bash WAS conflicted about it, Him and Mary had a conversation at the inn after they jumped in the water, about Francis will think the worst of them, and we did it to save him. Also, when Bash was in the dungeon, Francis beat the crap out of Bash while Bash is trying to tell Francis that he was saving his life. If he hadn't felt bad about it, Bash would have fought back. If Bash had wanted to rub in Francis' face, he could have done so before Francis left. But he didn't. Bash's face showed sadness. Also, when Henry agreed to Mary's terms, Bash did not drink the wine after the toast. And he likes his wine. At the end of 1.9, Bash tells Mary we both did this to save Francis' and we lost him as a result.
Flag
What happened to Francis was harsher, in my opinion. I think Francis reacted that way because the way Bash was clearly not sorry and was still wanting to marry Mary even though he had to know that Mary still had feeling for Francis. They just don't disappear in a few weeks. That's par for the course in that day and age - being exiled for numerous reasons.
Flag
But ultimately he's banishing his brother b/c of a situation that a girl put them both in. A girl he had an open affair on while she was at court w him, not including what happened b4 and after.
Flag
After both were exiled, what makes it harsher for Bash than for Francis is that someone tried to have Bash killed. Add to that, the betrayal of a family member (possibly) having ordered the hit.
Flag
All the arguing about who is the better man - Francis or Bash - is interesting. They are very different, and they both love Mary. Francis is born and bred to be King, and that is important to him, just as being Queen is important to Mary. That have that upbringing in common. And Francis has strayed more than once...but only when Mary has either lied to him (and kissed his brother) or dumped him and robbed him of his birthright. Probably both pretty good reasons. What he does from this point forward is what counts. The same can be said of Bash...Mary and Francis are married now and he should respect that. If he does, that will show character on his part, and I think he will. He is loyal and kind and he would never do anything to hurt Mary.

But most importantly, the passion of the fans in defending their favorite guy shows how well the show is doing. So happy it's been renewed and will be sticking around for at least another year!
Flag
Not sure how respectful Bash will be of Mary and Francis. Have you seen the preview for the next episode? Bash thinks that Francis sent men to kill him and Bash looked pissed. He told Mary if he learns for a fact that Francis is after him -- it's on.
Flag
They really are like apples and oranges, but there are some similarities between them. Maybe this is because I watch too much Supernatural as I do hope that the two brothers can have a peaceful resolution. In the upcoming episode (Futon Critic) "Monsters", Francis helps Bash, and Bash saves Francis' life. So there's that.

I'm excited to see what happens next week!!
Flag
Kenna was a good character again (I think I liked her in the very beginning), plotting and telling Lola off. Lola is still the worst. After defending a rapey boyfriend and not being able behave properly, she actually goes and sleeps with her lady's ex-fiance. Then she feels very able to judge Kenna. Woah. She keeps doing a stupid thing after another and yet she's the one judging everyone else in every turn.

I am also unsure how this love triangle will survive. I really love Bash but it's very possible that I'd just prefer him to stare me with those laser eyes.

The consummation thing was the most awkward scene in the show yet, horrible. Felt almost as bad as the 7 minute irrelevant lesbian sex scene from GoT season one. This was relevant though, but still very disturbing.

Mary's mother was awesome. What a horrible woman but at the same time very interesting, strong but flawed. She's not as wonderful as Catherine but this show has some great ladies (except for Mary's entourage).
Flag
Im really on the fence weather i liked this at all the arrival of Francis seemed more of an event that the wedding. I really wanted Bash to get his girl so was pretty disappointed, even tho if they are actually following history Fracis was a sure thing,(but in history Mary was nasty). Bash was always going to be at the consumation that didn't surprise or shock me at all, King henry is one of those crazy auful kings so he always going to do cr5azxy things. Everyone is talking about Lola being pregant, but didn't Bash and Mary have a tumble?? Could she be pregnant?? To the bastard...
Flag
Unless I missed It (which I don't think I did), Mary and Bash never slept together.
Flag
nope ur right, they didn't i just thought they had, would have made it interesting tho lol
Flag
Didn't like the episode at all. I keep thinking Mary will be with Bash however long it takes. Consummation scene was the most disgusting and unnecessary thing I've ever seen in a show. Yiak ! But it doesn't matter what, Bash will still be loving Mary. And Francis please put your pants on ! Alhough I don't think you can ¬¬

Flag
The consummation scene was historically accurate, as was the marriage of Mary and Francis.
Flag
yes but so is Francis' death and her marriage to his brother I think.. she got married 3 or 4 times im pretty sure..
Flag
I gotta say this ep didn't really work for me. As the last few haven't really I guess. I need to make time to read what everyone else thought and see if it's just me (it usually is).

I'm not mad that Mary chose Francis. We all knew this was coming, but the way it happened wasn't very romantic or heartbreaking IMO. I suppose I'm probably a touch over melodramatic, but getting ready to elope with one person, and then breaking that off to tell another that you love them should feel epic, shouldn't it?

Now bear with me, cause this might get long.

Let's compare this to Dawson's Creek (a show I somehow got hooked on when it was in reruns years ago). Pacey and Joey start to suspect that they have feelings for one another. Actually Pacey is pretty sure, Joey is skating around the issue. Pacey has some guilt about "betraying" Dawson, but ultimately decides that if there is anyway possible that Joey feels the same about him, than he'll chance upsetting his best friend because he believes Joey is worth it. (that's love right there peeps)

Of course Joey doesn't want to cause friction between the two best buds so she tries to just ignore it (#lame). This only escalates things between Dawson and Pacey because ultimately they don't know where anyone stands. (#soundfamiliar)

Does Joey have feelings for Pacey or Dawson or neither? Is Dawson still in love with Joey and secretly hoping they'll get back together? Has Pacey been secretly scoping out Dawson's girl all this time and just waiting for the right moment to pounce? (#totes)

Eventually Dawson shuns Pacey and tells Joey she has to choose, while Pacey goes back and forth between asking Joey to be honest with him about her feelings, and thinking he should probably just get away from her by deciding to go on a summer long boat trip. Joey takes Pacey's decision to leave as the whole thing now being out of her hands and gets ready to spend her summer with Dawson.

Now comes the moment when Dawson's Creek really earned their love triangle. After tossing us around for weeks, and making us choose sides (though really how could you not choose the man who bought her a wall), they both redeem Dawson for his childish controlling behaviour and break our hearts with his grief.

He sees that Joey wants to be with Pacey and he "loves" her enough to tell her to go to him. And while she fights him on it for like 3 secs, she ultimately sees how hard it was for him do so, runs to Pacey (yay!!) and leaves Dawson to breakdown* on the dock (awww).

Back to Reign:

When I look at the triangle between Mary, Bash and Francis, I never felt like I got that kind of payoff. I never felt for one second that it was a difficult choice for her (despite them spending the last few weeks trying to convince me that she loved Bash.) I felt no heartbreak when she told him that she was choosing Francis (on her part or mine). I got no redemption scene for Bash (in the eyes of everyone who hated him and thought he was a jerk for following his heart) where he let her go.

As an aside: God, Pacey had the best "Im letting you go" scenes ever - remember that one in the kitchen in the finale - sooo good.

I also didn't feel Francis got what I wanted either. Their reunion was short and sweet I guess, but her apologies seemed weak. She didn't work hard enough to get him back. I think I would have liked it if he had told her that he'll marry her, but he's not sure he can trust her with his heart again. Of course as I said above I do tend to like the melodramatic.

Anyway, I for one hope the triangle is over. Despite everything that has happened over the last few weeks, Consumation should permanently kill anything that lingers between Mary and Bash.

I'm am secretly hoping the last few weeks have been Bash's origin story, and that he now becomes a true enemy to Francis and the crown. Vive la revolution! #teamBash4life

*terrible acting though #truestory
More+
Flag
Excellent post but your reasons are partly why I think the love triangle needs to continue. I feel like the story hasn't been properly told yet. Neither Mash nor Frary feels all that 'epic' to me in the way of the True Great Screen Romances e.g. Joey/Pacey, Logan/Veronica and about a million more.

'Frary' put me off immediately by being built on a foundation of cheesy stares and some inexplicably deep, soul-consuming connection that I saw no evidence for and only knew existed because the writers kept specifically telling me was there. (It was only when Francis got more pragmatic and started putting France first that I stopped rolling my eyes every time he was on screen). And 'Mash' was built with more substance but it's always been so clear that Mary prefers Francis that it's impossible to get too invested or swept up in that either.

I'd like it done properly with the stakes higher. Obviously not any time soon though. After Mary's decision in the last ep, I like to think Bash will have some self-respect and move on to a different storyline. How about next time, Mary is the instigator.

(Yes, I know she's now a married woman. So? :P We're only part way through season 1. I think it's fair to say a lot can happen.)
More +
Flag
I love Catherine she is so regal commanding people and making a huge event of her own execution just priceless. And the whole cutting herself with glass? Damn that is drama.
Marys mom is also a smart cookie even though she is not really motherly.
Sucked to be Bash and Nostradamus this episode, especially poor Bash that got the worst break up ever... I mean watching Francis and Mary doing it that is just wrong Bash didn't deserve that kind of treatment.
Was I the only one who thought run Nostradamus run! while he figured it out that he made a mistake again.
And what's the deal with Henry and Kenna? Will that relationship end well? mmm I hope not cause this show is all about drama.
And if Lola I don't think Lola is pregnant she may think she is but she wouldn't as stupid to tell anybody about it at least I hope so.
Flag
I didn't think Lola was pregnant either, but check out Canada's preview for next week on youtube.
Flag
Loved the episode! So happy for a Frary wedding. I felt slightly bad for Bash having to watch them consummate but that's where it began and ended for me. l don't think the triangle is over, but I think it will be on the back burner for now, at least I hope. I just wish it would end completely though.

Flag
Finally, I had a time to watch last two episodes of Reign - I missed you, Mary.

1. Mary was a gorgeous bride. Her friends looked great as bridesmaids too.

2. Lola is so preggers.

3. Francis is back! YAY!!!

4. I loved how Catherine was preparing her own execution. "If I have to die I wil do it with a style".

5. It's such a shame they didn't serve snacks during the consummation. The girls looked hungry.

6. Nostradamus - I think you should start looking for a new job. You fac!ed up, big time!

7. It was great too see Amy Brenneman as Mary's Mom! I hope she'll be back!

Thanks for review, Lily!
Flag
LOL to #5
Flag
Just don't allow Kenna to serve the consummation snacks. Don't know where those hands have been...turkey leg anyone?
Flag
Ewwwwww!!!
Flag
Also Lola should go to hell for breaking the Girl Code. You don't sleep with your friend's ex no matter what!
Flag
But Mary and Francis were on a break!
Flag
mad-pac - there is no such thing as "a break". Even a guy should now that :P
Flag
@elizabethperalta1238 - I don't blame Francis. It's all Lola's fault.

For me Francis could have slept with an entire squadron of whores of Babylon and I wouldn't have cared. He was after all a free man.

However, Lola who supposed to be Mary's friend betrayed her trust by sleeping with her ex.
Flag
Lol there is when they broke up. They weren't engaged anymore. Mary was engaged to his brother now. What do you expect the poor guy to do ? Just twiddle his thumbs for a while until he is no longer heart broken ? Lol even in real life people deal with heartbreak by being with other people. Mary just took everything away. His entire identity by trying to save his life (which he never asked for btw. He clearly stated he would be happy sharing any moment with her as his wife even if he died young). So it wasn't just that they were broken up. She pulled a bold move that affected everybody.
Flag
Have to say I liked the way this episode was done in relation to the historical aspect. Including all having to watch the royal consummation. As far as the triangle, I don't think Bash should want Mary as much any more as she told him she loves Francis more. Possibly the writers will create a quadrangle: Lola pregnant so Bash helps her out by marrying her with the tension obvious between the 4 of them. That is what might happen in the French court anyway.
And one of the 4 Marys accompanying Queen Mary married one of the noble advisors historically anyway.

Flag
1. Mary wasn’t out of line. She’s queen and not her mom, so she has to show her that she’s in power and will not be pushed around by her.

2. Should continue, Bash and Mary behind Francis back and him never finding out. You’ll see, Francis will not be able to keep his pants on with Lola and probably some others . He only started loving Mary after he knew Bash wanted her. At least Bash would have been fateful. Knew the writers were going to do the Mary - Francis wedding and I hate them for it.

3. Not disturbing just awkward and hurtful.

4. Kenna finally stepped up a bit, that was bold and manipulative. She’s learning, but then again she’s got some great examples.

5. Yeah. I know Henry was a pretty common name back then (just like Mary) but for some reason I immediately thought they were talking about his brothers. Nostadamus should start looking at his vision from all angles before telling.

6. Probably pregnant. How long will it take for Francis or Lola to confess. Personally I would like it to be Kenna telling Mary all about it.

7. It was a bit of a letdown. They’ve had better, I wasn’t so into it and the brother rivalry got boring the more they showed.

There were some fun moments
    -Catherine planning her beheading, even dying she’ll be in control.
    -Mary de Guise was ‘better’ than Catherine. (more devious, more powerful, cold hearted, …)
    -Kenna, ‘She request that I inform you that she’s naked under her robe’ , what that man would have thought when she told him to say that.
    -Mary standing up to her mom at the wedding
    -Catherine did a motherly thing for Mary, for once. (the letter)
    -Good bad acting from Anna Popplewell. Can’t believe Mary and Greer didn’t see through that bullsh** story of her and Francis meeting on the road.
More+
Flag
I soooo agree with you. Francis is like a collegue teenager ! Bash is a man and he is loyal and really loves Mary. He would forgive her everything.
Flag
I feel horrible for Bash, that was rude of Henry to make Bash watch Francis and Mary. This episode was too rushed. Mary DID the RIGHT THIG to disown her mother, even though she loved Francis Bash was better for her, more skilled and trained. The writers should continue a Bash- Mary- Francis triangle. (Mary has picked Francis but Bash still remains true to her no matter how far she leaves him, Francis on the other hand picks all or any woman when he has no grip on Mary, the girl from the first scene, his old lover and now her own maid LOLA!!) Francis will never wait for Mary but Bash will. Francis never promised to wed her till he was sure HE had the thrown and she was a strong pawn. My heart fell out and stopped for a minute when I saw the consumation scene, it was not right for him to watch Mary and Francis, he should never have had to watch that. he is the Kings favourite son, the king should have has some mercy. Francis IS SELFISH.... Mary should find out about Lola and go to Bash, Do a runaway marriage. Make this episode Marys or Catherines dream. let Bash and Mary have a hussed wedding and the court go all mad then do a drastic change where they rub Bash and Marys relationship out of history, so everyone only remembers Francis and Mary. BRING BASH AND MARY BACK....

More+
Flag
I think the king wanted to make bash not want to come back to see mary and francis all married and having kiddies etc.. it seemed as tho his shitty parenting was based on wanting to get bash out of there...
Flag
I so agree with you. Bash is a real man and really loves Mary. Francis won't be able to put his pants on.
Flag
Very good thoughts I have always said that Francis is an ass he can never keep his pants on and was never committed to Mary until he was sure about the crown. Francis will always put king and country before Mary's heart, we're Bash put her first before the country, he was willing to elop with her in this episode and she seemed very excited about it what he said to her was just fantastic " prepare to get no sleep tonight my new bride ". I think they'll still continue with the triangle and have Bash there to challange Mary's resolve and love for Francis.
Flag
Can (or should) the writers continue with the Bash-Francis-Mary love triangle? How could that be best accomplished?
I say "yes". As to how to accomplish it - those kids need to learn to share. We were promised a threesome (I read it somewhere on the Reign community). And if there is really going to be one who better than Bash-Mary-Francis.
Flag
So I watched the director's cut of the Consummation on the CW yesterday and I have to say NOW I feel a little queasy about Bash having to watch Mary and Francis make love.
Initially, I didn't find it disturbing. I totally get why all of the Mash fans found it disturbing but initially I found it intriguing especially with the line that Henry delivered about wanting Bash to permanently know what is and isn't his. I loved his balls and kingship because he was thinking about peace and I totally get that. Also I was a little pissed at Bash, which is why I stopped liking him as a character the moment it was clear that he was not doing this to "save Francis' life". It was always about getting Mary in spite of the fact that you know your brother loves her and she obviously loves him.
This is why Francis went off on Bash in the graveyard. Because Bash knew that Mary and Francis were more than just an arranged marriage yet he went along for the ride because it got him what he wanted and it he did not care about Francis' well being. So basically he didn't fall the Bros before...You know the rest of the line...rule.
So in truth I initially felt like he got what he deserved.
However, the director's cut the consummation scene was a little bit more obviously and the way Mary reacted when seeing Bash standing right next to her marriage bed was not the same look of pity she gave in the televised version. Also Terrance Combs portrayed his hurt and pain more clearly in the director's cut which did tug at my heart strings a bit.
Now I feel kind of like it was a bit much instead of that's good for you, Bash!

I love everything about this show except the forced love triangle over the past five episodes. It's not that I couldn't have bought what the writers were trying to sell, but it was how they were trying to sell it. Mary was so in love with Francis that she would do anything to save him including breaking both of their hearts and one episode later they play the out of site out of mind card. I never found it believable how she was "falling in love" with Bash. I know all of the Mash ate it up as I would have if I was shipping them from the beginning, but it just didn't feel real. Either it was and Mary really didn't love Francis or it was contrived.
If something had happened to cause Mary to not love Francis anymore and then over time we watched the two of them fall in love I could have easily bought the whole thing. But it felt too forced!

Nevertheless, I hope we continue to get better episodes and not fall back into the trap of easy plot devices and cheap contrived tricks.
More+
Flag
I feel I must disagree with you on a couple of points. Bash did this to save
Francis' life. They had a close bond in spite of Catherine trying derail that. She tells little Charles that Bash is not really your brother. You can bet that she has told that to Francis many times over the years. After Catherine does say that, Bash and Francis give each a look like , ok, whatever.

About it always about Bash getting Mary: Bash believed in Nostradamus' prophecy. So Bash would have encouraged the wedding. He only had to wait a year until Francis died, and then Bash would have had Mary all to himself. Sure Bash wanted Mary, but he didn't outright try to steal her because he has shown himself to be noble and loyal. There was the kiss, but she kissed Bash first, and I'm sure he didn't think that a second kiss mattered. Bash told his mother how many times that he didn't want his brother's job. She asked him, even if it's to get the woman you want? He says, that's no way to get a woman. If, all he was after was Mary, he would have been all for the legitimization so that he could get Mary. But he wasn't for it at all. Can a person really help who they fall in love with? You just have to keep in in check like Bash did. And in the dungeon, Bash didn't fight back when Francis beat the crap out of him. Bash told Francis he was trying to save his life. He wouldn't have said that if it was all about getting Mary.

I believe that Mary was starting to love Bash. She told Catherine that she was beginning to. Anytime that she asked him help her he did (find out what happened to Colin, for example), and all of the other times he was there for here and when they did things together as a team. Somebody does that for me, how could you not start to love them? But, she did love Francis more.

I would say that Bash went off on Francis because Bash did throw the first punch. It wasn't so much about Mary, but the insults about Francis being a prince and Bash being "nothing." That is a low blow, brother.

About that consummation scene, it was really heart breaking because Bash (it's Torrance--my perfectionism is kicking in again. :) ) had conceded he had lost. tried to leave, but was forced to watch, with his hands tied behind his back. Also, the guard had grabbed onto Bash's cloak by his neck and held on the whole time. Even Francis face was not mean (like, ha, I won and you didn't). For me , it was hard to tell what Francis was thinking, but I would say that he felt bad for Bash.

I can't see the triangle continuing because Bash is noble, he is going to respect that they are married and not interfere. In next week's episode, Bash goes to see Mary, but it's for help in uncovering who tried to kill him.
More +
Flag
IMO Mary only started to let herself try and love Bash once she decided to marry him and get him legitimized. She said her heart was open because she was trying to make the best of the situation since she thought they would marry and be together. She told her mother that she was starting to fall in love with him. In the earlier episodes, it seemed like their relationship was more brother/sister or that of friends (on her side only). I mean he practically begged her to tell him that she loved him when she was telling him she couldn't marry him.
Flag
no no no haha, Bash loves mary but he knows francis does not but francis wants to save his mothers life and have the throne, he said that to his mother in that ep.....
Flag
I accidentally liked your comment. Francis clearly loves Mary even after everything that happened to him. Did you see his face when she ran down the hall to tell him she picked him or when she was walking down the aisle as they were married or during their dance?
Flag
Also, Catherine asked him if he wanted Mary, to save his mother's life, the throne or his brothers' safety and Francis said yes, he wanted all three of those things.
Flag
Before I watch the "unrated" version in full...is there anything else besides the end consummation scene that is different?
Flag
Nostradamus' sex scene is extended, too.
Flag
Francis never cares form Mary, the way Bash does. Bash always puts her first, who was by her side when Francis was hopping around with his old love his mother brought back, everytime Catherine or someone else tryes to harm her who risks his life to save her, everytime he is let down or betrayed who do you think still waits for her - BASH.. Francis will scurry around like a spoilt child who dosent like his stuff being touched. Bash will always be true to Mary. BUT.... WHAT WILL HAPPEN WHEN MARY FINDS ABOUT LOLA AND FRANCIS. Bash would not do a thing like that to Mary, he'd rather fight to the death to keep her.
Flag
Seriously? Francis cares about Mary just as much, if not more than Bash does. Any danger Mary was ever in, Francis was right there trying to protect her and help her. It's only so much he could do, he even was willing to blackmail his father to get protection for Scotland. He killed for her. He threatened his own mother for her. He exiled himself so she could be happy and live her life with Bash. So please spare me the Francis doesn't love Mary as much. His love for her is what nearly got Bash killed in episode 3/4.
The fact of the matter is that Francis IS spoiled child. He is a prince and was raised to be a future king, obligations that Bash does not have. Not that I excuse any of his asshole-ish behaviors.. Bash is Francis' brother, you would think that he would have more respect about pushing up on his fiance. He kissed Mary and had no regrets about it. Francis was mad because Mary didn't tell him the truth, like he did with Olivia.
What will happen when she finds out about Lola? Well, who knows but what we do know is that when Francis dies, his WIFE is by his side and they are happy.
More +
Flag
he told his mother he only wanted her to save his mother and have the throne though....
Flag
Not true. As I stated above, Catherine asked him if he wanted Mary, to save his mother's life, the throne or his brothers' safety and Francis said yes, he wanted all three of those things.
Flag
Francis only told Mary the truth after she pressed for it. He didn't just come up to her and say, "by the way, Olivia and I kissed." That DID NOT happen. And he could have thrown some of his money at her and set her up elsewhere until a better arrangement could be made. He just wanted to have her as an option in the castle. And then he turned all of it around on Mary as if it were her fault for drunkenly kissing Bash without realizing his own actions and words caused all of it. And then went straight to Olivia. I'm sorry if that's love, it's not the kind I believe in. I need somebody who does that and is angsty, not horny. He was dreaming about taking the risk of marrying Olivia before, but he didn't want to take that risk with Mary until it was okay'd by Daddy. That character is so off-the-wall annoying it's unreal. I can't believe girls think that is love! It's hilarious. If my husband acted like him we definitely wouldn't have been together for over a decade LOLOL (btw when we went on a break and I kicked him out of the house and bought him a ticket out of the country back to his parents, he spent all day every day for over a month crying in his room, being emo and calling me non-stop, not screwing my friend or anyone else) It's sad to me that women don't hold men to higher standards. Love isn't what they say, it's what THEY do, how you act together. I have seen no emotional connection between Francis and Mary. Only Mary having these ridiculous fantasies built up ON ARRIVAL that she made up while living in a convent for 6 years or so about her future. The only time that they ever worked together was in one episode, other than that she always goes to Bash to work out her problems (1x01, 1x02 and then the rest... This will continue. Bash will keep being there and I'm sure Francis will slip again and again. Like the writers said, Bash and Mary are the slow burn. Those types never get together easily or in the first season.
More +
Flag
I think that was a little harsh on Bash. It is never been a question of whether or not Bash wants to marry Mary. Of course he does. Would he have tried to toss Francis off the throne to get her? No. He told his mother as much. This whole thing was Mary's idea. We know Bash believes in Nostradomus' prophesies, he told Mary as much before he even knew about the Francis death prophesy. You may recall he was about to have his head chopped off. Mary was not going marry Francis, and thus Bash was going to die. If you had to pick between dying and saving your brother's life by marrying the woman you love, which would you have chosen?

My biggest beef with Francis is that he never considers the feelings of others or the position they are placed in.

Mary
He kisses Olivia, fails to get her out of the castle like he promises Mary, and then tells Mary he just might make Olivia mistress when she mad. Then he gets pissy when Mary gets drunk and does the exact same thing as he did first. Then he forbids her to spend time with Bash, threatens his brother's life and sleeps with Olivia.

He sleeps with Lolia one of Mary's closest friend, even though it would kill Mary if she found out.

Bash
He threatens to kill Bash because he kissed Mary. A punch I'd understand. Death threats not so much. Bash is hanging from a wall about to be executed, and he comes in to beat him up because of MARY's plan to save him life, a plan Bash is only considering because it will save his brother's life. When the prophesy is revoked Francis gloatingly dances over to Bash and crows about how Bash is about to lose the woman he loves. Bash never took that kind of pleasure in Francis' misery. I was in total agreement when Bash called him entitled and hit him.

Hopefully Mary will soon become enlightened to Francis' extracurricular activities with Lola as well as his horrible behavior toward Bash. Until then I will just have to grumble about her terrible taste in men.
More +
Flag
Your point about Bash choosing to save his head and help Mary is correct, which is why I said that I liked the character until the moment it became clear that his going along with the plan was more than about saving his and Francis' life. Initially, he may have tried to convince himself that saving Francis was his motivation, but we all know that this was never truly his true motive. He wanted Mary from the beginning when she was never his to begin with.

As far as Francis is concerned he has had his douchebag moments and I've called him on it. Especially concerning Olivia, but I can't fault him nor will I for what happened with Lola. They are teenagers (allegedly) and when you have been hurt by someone you loved deeply teenagers and most adults tend to act out. Francis never set out intentionally to sleep with Lola. He left willingly from the castle. He could have stayed and tried to undermind Mary and Bash, but he didn't. He ran into Lola someone who could not only sympathize but who actually knew what he was going through. I don't fault him for wanting to take away the pain especially with Mary's friend. That's what teenagers do.
Francis really loved Mary and she destroyed him so he gave in to his pain and acted out.

I try to see if from both sides. As I read your comment I could totally see how you could view Bash as doing no wrong and all the errors were made by Francis. I would counter the same thing.

I truly believe that all three of them have been grossly wrong in the choices they have made and their motives behind them. But all of that is what the show needs to have tension. So I guess I'll allow it :-)
More +
Flag
I think Reign did a good job recapturing the moment we first layed eyes on these charectors. I mean is it just me, but this episode reminded me a lot about when I first saw these charectors.
And the MUSIC.
Epic in the first episode and epic in this one.
The music impacted the scenes a lot.
It may be kind of stupid, but I dont think I've ever cared this much about what happens to these charectors since Supernatural.
I'm glad it got renewed and I hope it stays renewed.
Flag
I'm with you I can't remember the last time I was this invested in a show and it's characters since supernatural first aired I was like this with Dean and Sam more Dean but you get my point. Reign has some of the best musical moments in tv in a long time they just know how to do it right.
Flag
What a great episode! Although Mary and Francis' reunion and marriage happened quickly, there are surely problems down the road. Not only will the secret tryst between Lola and Francis be revealed (she is undoubtedly pregnant), but also the growing "friendship" between Mary and Bash will create trust issues in the marriage.

The consummation was insanely disturbing. Never mind Bash being forced to watch...what about all the other people in the room! That was quite a crowd and I don't know how anyone could be expected to "perform" under those circumstances. Barbaric!!
Flag
Is this the end of the Mash story line? Not at all! http://kovacsrachel.tumblr.com/post/78753781693/spoiler-alert-is-this-the-end-of-the-story-line-not
Flag
I have to say.. I had a bit of a smirk when I found out there was going to be an 'uncensored' version. Like - CW, what are you playing it? We're the Game Of Thrones generation. How scandalous could it be? I applaud them for doing something different though and was absolutely going to check it out.

Now.. if it's more of that consummation scene I have absolutely no desire to watch. Nope. No, thank you. Not interested. Although, when Mary married Francis I thought - 'But we've already seen them have sex! Why is this consummation such a big deal that it gets its own episode title?' Now I know.

And for some reason I thought Bash would whoop Francis' butt in a fight. Didn't think Francis stood a chance so that was kind of a surprise.
Flag
I thought that Bash would do better in the fight, too, but it looked to me like Francis did a better job. Bash would be a better fighter because he's been out in the real world way more than Francis has. I read on TC's twitter that the fight was much longer with Bash winning handily. I was hoping to see that on the extended version on cwtv.com, but it wasn't. :( Hopefully that will be on the DVD.
Flag
Poor poor darling Bash. The whole episode was CRUEL on him. Like, it would have been nicer to just kill him off and leave his heart at least intact before it all went to hell.
I like that the vision ended up being actually fairly historically accurate - that Francis dies a year after they married (I almost got into the language and said wed). I knew she was going to marry him of course, but I was hoping the reason why would be more dramatic - blackmail, Bash being murdered (ok I didn't really hope for THAT exactly, but you know what I mean.)
How nice was her wedding dress though :)
She just seems to be a rather fickle teenage girl again. Bash deserved better.
I'm not going to even bother trying to guess what the writers are doing next, it is a show that doesn't seem to follow too much of a formula, and I like how fast paced the plot goes. Every ep almost seems like a season finale, it's always high stakes etc

Flag
And.......we only have to wait a week to find out what happens to Bash! Yay!!!
Flag
Lily, this may be your best Reign review yet! So damn funny!
This episode was full of action and drama. I loved a lot of things about it. Some things worked for me while other narrative notes rang false.

What worked for me:
1)Mary choosing Francis. I said a while back before the writers flushed out the Mash relationship with this three episode arc, the choice for Mary would be between Bash's devotion to her(he represented a knight who always be loyal and at her service) and Francis, who represented a partner, an equal who understood her burdens and the isolation of being royal. It was nice to see the Mash relationship grow over the last episode especially(so sweet) but it has always been clear that Mary loves Francis, enough to risk her life for him(1x07), her country's future(1x08), throw France into turmoil(1x09-1x12). She loves him fiercely, passionately, and even her growing affection for Bash cannot compete with that. The only reason I think she hesitated at all was because she did not want to hurt Bash as he has sacrificed so much for her and she cares about him. To throw France in chaos AGAIN and to hurt Bash gave her pause.
2) The mothers- Jesus, these strong, smart women who survive and thrive playing power games in the viper pit of court are the best part of the show. Loved Mary de Guise coming to court and telling Catherine you let some mystic crap ruin this alliance and threaten both our children's future? WTF??? Loved the barbed comments between the two ladies, loved Catherine's funeral plans(silver and gold ships-OMG), loved how Catherine helped Mary, and how Mary de guise forced a marriage in three days out of an engagement that had dragged on for months.
3) Francis and Bash fighting- yes it is about Mary but their are other issues here. I believe Bash never wanted the crown but I also believe he resents Francis' position. Remember that comment Bash made in one of the early episodes about some people mattering and some people not mattering? Well his choice of words in his fight with francis was telling- he called him entitled. Francis resents Bash's freedom but as I suspected now that he had a taste of that, his desire for it is gone. Now Francis just resents Bash for his relationship with Mary(and how he pretended it was about saving Francis' life but really it was about a chance with Mary)

What didn't work for me:
1) Why isn't Francis angry at Mary? I get so mad at Mash supporters who scream about Francis sleeping with Lola but let's be real, Mary stripped him of everything including his identity, dumped him, created a situation that threatened his younger brothers, agreed to marry and have children with his older brother, and essentially sent him into exile(he could not have stayed at French court without being seen as a threat if Bash was legitimized). She took everything from him for his own good and now because the magic man said shit is changed now she feels she can marry you so you say, "hell yes". He should still be furious and enraged. Don't get me wrong I hope she tears him a new one for the Lola incident but in the game of who has done worse shit to one another- Mary wins by a mile even if she had good intentions. As Lily wrote, the writers should have had Mary sacrifice or earn Francis' love and forgiveness again. It made the Fray ending less satisfying. I think all of the lingering issues left Mary's choice to strip Francis of his title and his agency, and Francis sleeping with Lola will give this couple real problems. How can they possibly trust each other? So much to rebuild even if the love is there.

2) What Henry did to Bash. WORST FATHER EVER. It was cruel, it was not necessary. Hell, Bash took a beating this episode. Mary could have showed some gratitude and some remorse while dumping him. "Thanks for turning your life upside down for me, I want you to know while I do love you and I need to be honest with you and myself. I love francis more- and while it breaks my heart to break your heart being with you when I want to be with him is not fair for everyone involved." See writers, not so hard. Poor, poor, Bash. Seriously someone hug him. My only hope is that this leads to a interesting arc.
3) Bash's total lack of understanding about court, politics, governing, and power. When Francis exiles Bash it is partly motivated by jealousy but I think is mostly motivated by the fact that by staying in court Bash will put his own life, and Francis's in danger. It doesn't matter is he is just a bastard- he reached for the crown and failed. Now he has failed supporters- supporters who might want to get rid of Francis. On the flip side of this, anyone who supports Francis would want Bash dead. How can he not possibly understand this? In these times, your family members who were threats to your rule were often exiled from court if you couldn't just off them for treason. Does Bash not understand that by helping Mary he destabilized the entire country? You handsome, empty headed fool! And my god, Francis didn't try to kill you- your father or your almost Mother-in-law did.
More+
Flag
That was super long, but extremely well-written! I agree with everything you have said. Although, I don't think Henry would try to have Bash killed. If he intended to do that, making Bash watch the consummation would have been unnecessary. I think either Catherine or Mary's mother is the one behind Bash's murder attempt. And while it makes sense politically for Bash to go into exile, I think the show and viewers still want him around, and so he will stay.
Flag
I'm glad you enjoyed my rant. After I saw the episode I had so many thoughts in my head about it.

And oh, I don't want Bash gone from court either. I quite like Bash's character. But my point was here again was evidence of Bash not really being fit to rule because he doesn't understand the rules both written and unwritten of the game.

In another post, I wrote that Bash while noble would be a terrible leader because he lacks both the patience and cunning to be king. One of his great strengths is how bold he is but he has a total lack of guile and political cunning. I argued that the writers have been trying to show us this since Francis left for a deliberate reason- the knight vs. King comparison they were setting up. I just thought it was worth noting the writers choose to show it again even after Mary choose Francis.
Flag
I think that Bash has been in court long enough and been behind the scenes to know and understand the game. So, I would think he would understand it, but he definitely does not agree with it.
Flag
Good point, I hadn't thought of it like that given his comment to Francis about everyone ignoring his almost legitimacy if Francis did. But if that is true it still doesn't detract from the fact by ignoring it he puts everyone in more danger, including himself and Francis because it is just not realistic of him to believe court politics would actually operate that way.

Again, there are real reasons that people weren't allowed to hang out at court after a failed coup. It was usually death or exile.
Flag
Catherine planning her beheading was the single greatest thing i have seen quite possilby EVER, such a good show, great recap lily!
Flag
The mothers in this show are so awesome. Seriously.. so awesome. I even include Diana in that. (And ha! 'Some bastard' and 'Sebastien' do have a similar ring to them. Catherine organising her beheading? So awesome.)

I enjoyed a lot about this ep but have to admit there was a part of me that was 'meh' for a lot of it. Felt a lot like we were just watching the inevitable happen.

I've always said Mary should marry Francis but seeing Bash have his heart so thoroughly shattered and being so decisively rejected was kind of awful. I almost couldn't watch the consummation scene either (*shudder* Oh Bash. I THOUGHT HE WAS YOUR FAVOURITE SON, HENRY! BAD DAD.) And it wasn't until Mary and Francis were dancing at their wedding that I thought - yep, this is how it's supposed to be. She's the Queen of Scotland. She could never have married a bastard.

On the other hand, 'Hello there, Badass Bash! Have missed you.' Loved him at the end. More of that please.

I'm kind of disappointed Francis and Bash are apparently 'enemies' or something now. That clearly wasn't a very strong bond :/

Really enjoyed this review! Have an extra special LOL for 'thinking noose' :P Haha.

And Nostradamus, mate. You should have kept your mouth shut. That was gutsy telling Catherine the truth. I'm not sure I would have. Now, please never do it again.

More+
Flag
*Diane not Diana. The rest still applies.
Flag
One thing I like about this show is that while they are bound to history somewhat in regards to this love triangle (Mary had to marry Francis), the possibilities for the future are endless. The writers can do whatever they want with Bash moving forward, while Francis has to well.. people who know the history know. Who knows Bash could end up turning into the real male lead in a later season as this show seems to be going through plot fast.
Flag
Time-wise, it's probably already been almost a year since Mary arrived at court. If they keep the pacing up, Francis will probably be dead by the end of this season/beginning of next. Then they could have Bash accompany Mary back to Scotland (which is what she did IRL after Francis died) and be her lover. She got married twice more in Scotland, but they were both super drama filled and one of them was basically the result of extortion, so she's going to need all the friends she can get.
Flag
I doubt it has been a year already and the writers have stated that they haven't set a timeline for Francis' death. Also, Henry has to die first. I believe he will die in the season finale and maybe Francis will die next season! Who knows, though. Sometimes they like to drag stuff out, especially if the character is popular(& yes, despite all of the Francis hate right now, he is still popular).
Flag
I'm basing my time estimate off of the celebrations they've had at court so far - she appeared to arrive in spring/early summer, and we've seen both an autumn harvest festival and a winter party for the children, so I'm guessing around nine months. IRL, they got married in April, though I'm not sure that would be the case here. I do agree, sometimes they do really like to drag stuff out, so it's hard to determine the pacing, plus the historical accuracy (or lack thereof) complicates things. I think a Henry death at the season finale is a good prediction.
Flag
It definitely has not been a year, many of the earlier episodes were continuations from the previous days. I think the next episode will be 2 months later. So at the most, it's only been a few months. Francis is not going to die this season and doubt the next season. The creator has already said many historical points has to happen before Francis dies, he has to become king, so Henry will have to die as well as Mary's mother. In actuality Francis died a 2 1/2 years after he married Mary and they can make seasons as long or short as they want. My guess is that Francis will die in the final season of the show if it lasts that long.
Flag
The writers have already said that they aren't saving Francis's death until a final season for the show. The fact that they married them this quickly shows that. I believe the Mary/Bash pairing is setting up to be the main couple of the show and once they are done developing that, they will allow Francis to die.
Flag
The more I think about it. If Nostradamus hadn't heard that strange girl singing he wouldn't have had that vision again in my opinion. He was convinced that Clarissa dying was the end of the prophecy. It's like ignorance is bliss. There's a catch there somewhere. Now I know that his lady friend stopped his auto asphyxiation before he finished the entire vision, but I still think there's got to be more to it. Anyways Nostradamus was smart to keep his trap shut. He has already ruined things several times for several people. I do agree with Francis and Marie. You can change your fate. How convenient that Nostradamus always sees these horrific things when frary is at their happiest lol. Ultimate Debbie downer party pooper Nosty.
Flag
Yes but we saw Francis bleeding from the ear. Now, depending on how/why this occurs there might not be anything that can be changed. Yes, sometimes you can change your fate, but I am not sure about this one.
As for the vision, he started to have it then his bed buddy interrupted and he never got to finish the vision. He had seen Francis die before, though I can't remember if there was blood coming from his ear or not (I think there was). Anyway, it had initially just been certain flashes. This was more concrete to a degree. He assumed that when he heard "work with James on his reading" that it must be one of Frary's kids. Later at the wedding he had the full vision and realized that it was only a year into their marriage and it was just dreams they thought could happen and then Francis died. If Nostradamus had kept his mouth shut instead of telling Catherine in the first place, when Francis dies than Catherine might not have been able to blame Mary. Now who knows how they write Francis' dying with blood coming from his ear while in bed with his wife.
More +
Flag
I stated in my comment his vision was interrupted. I know it's historically accurate for him to die of an ear infection. What I meant is he had soooo much trouble having any type of vision for a while and suddenly he is back to having then without help from his tricks. I just wanted the wedding to not have any prophecy drama for one episode. Also if he had not been triggered into realizing that Clarissa was alive he might not even have finished the entire vision he had that night. I really think the girl singing clarissa a song triggered him into completing his vision. Lol I just really hated the wedding being mingled/interrupted by his death. I know what you are saying though about not being able to change fate. But I didn't want Mary back tracking again over it. If he is meant to die I think he would of feud with or without Mary at his side. Just my opinion.
Flag
Jesus autocorrect hated me "would have died"
Flag
The writers are being historically accurate about the bleeding ear thing - Francis died of what was essentially a raging ear infection.
Flag
- i looove Marie de Guise she just killed it.. she be spilling the truth tea everywhere and some people just can't take it. Mary needs to grow up, Mama de guise just needed to get the job done and she did..

- the love triangle should definitely NOT GO ON. this is so ridiculous she's married your brother, GIVE IT UP. and it's so painfully obvious Mary loves Francis. Bash even had to beg her to say "I love you" and marry him..pathetic much? He sounds so desperate and he is. Some people just hate on Francis but are we watching the same show here?? if you cant see francis and mary's chemistry i dont know what youre watching. nomatter what happened before Mary never loved Bash that way, He should just move on. Surely there's someone out there in court whos not your brothers wife who happens to be the queen of france england and scotland? Bash should be with kenna... #BENNA

and lola is def pregnant. the drama is real in this show y'all but I DO NOT want to see an adulterous relationship.
Flag
In regards to #Benna, you don't want him to want his brother's wife, but he should be with his father's mistress? To me, that would be even worse.
Flag
okay, rowan then.
Flag
I agree. Also, Kenna jeopardized Bash's life when she told Catherine about Diane's legitimization plans. It wasn't shown but I'm pretty sure that Bash's mom told him all the details (because a regular person would ask how Catherine even found out about it). So, heck no that idea!!
Flag
I hope we get a scene in a future episode of Mary being confronted by Bash about how she's been playing games with people's lives and it doesn't seem to have enough of an effect on her because she's royal.

I love Mary but her quick decisions have put a lot of lives at risk, especially Francis and Bash, not to mention ripping apart their relationship. Bash did everything for Mary and she didn't even stop to think for longer than a minute that his life would be ruined, not to mention in danger, by her making the decision to be with Francis.
Flag
I do agree that she did tear them apart. I hate when significant others come in between siblings. *cough* TVD *cough*
Flag
Yeah, agreed. I hope Mary gets what's coming to her. I wish Bash was more like Francis in a way and took his anger out by f*cking every girl he sees.
Flag
I hope in the upcoming episodes we get to see the fun side of bash not the whipped by Mary bash. His character seemed to be everything that Francis is not but I haven't really seen that so far. It's like show us what Mary would have been missing out on already. Give him more interested story lines. Anyways isn't it a like universal rule that you always want what you can't have? I think that's what attracted bash to Mary even more. I don't know if Bash was in love with her (he didn't really know her that well) or he became infatuated with her and everything she represented. I mean seriously he's been called a bastard his entire life. It's like he always (maybe not on purpose) strived to be good at things to prove that he was more than just a bastard. Anywho getting off track. I want him to find something that makes him happy and I want him to step out of the castle drama and have a good time.
Flag
And when did Francis actually get to know her? I saw more deep interaction with Bash and Mary than I ever have with Francis. Has Mary EVER gone to Francis with a personal problem? Have they actually done anything together except whine that they can't be together besides their sexy times? Their relationship is so shallow it's hilarious. Teenage girls seem to just eat this shit up. It's pathetic.
Flag
Thank you for clarifying. (I can't respond to the actual post for whatever reason). I do share your frustration to a degree. For me - particularly at the beginning - Francis/Mary was in great danger of falling into what I call the Bella/Edward school of romance, which is not one that I can respect. However, I think they've begun to steer away from that by giving Francis some depth. (Even if that depth comes in shades of grey).

Personally, I feel like these last few episodes have been about Mary choosing a husband. That husband would eventually be King of France and for that job I think Francis is better suited. The triangle I expect to eventually resume and I hope Bash, Mary and Francis all grow and develop before it's resolved. For that to happen, I fully expect all three will go on to do wonderful (and perhaps awful things) before the whole story is told. There's scope for some really intriguing stories to be told and I just hope the show delivers.

Flag
Agreed!
Flag
I actually agree with your general point but:

'...you can tell me whatever, but I've been happily together with my husband for over a decade, so I think I know what a good relationship is and the experience to back up my opinion. Some girls just have lower standards.'

That smacks of, 'I know what love is better than you (even though I have never met you and know nothing about your personal life), naa naa na naa naa,' and is frankly quite patronising. Love may be a universal emotion but it is also a very personal experience. I find you dictating what a relationship should be as though every relationship should be the exact same very strange. It's not an attitude conducive to mature and reasoned discussion.
Flag
Also, physical chemistry comes and goes, the more important part of a relationship would be how get on with your personality and how you can work through problems together. If you can't work through a problem without going to a member of the opposite sex (both seem to actually have that issue) then it isn't going to last and obviously the emotional connection wasn't there.
Flag
K, that probably came out a little different than I wanted it to then. I wasn't trying to say I have a higher knowledge of what love is exactly just because I have been in a relationship longer (that's not at all what I meant, I swear), I just meant that I do have experience in a committed relationship that is generally considered to be healthy. We treat each other as equals, we make decisions together, we have trust built, etc. (Kind of what Bash and Mary had begun, but more developed since we've been together longer) What I was trying to say moreso is that Mary (the character, not the people here) seems to have low standards. I think Francis a d-bag. I do think that girls who think his character is endearing or soOoOoOooo amazing probably have lower standards. Some women don't have self value and are attracted to jackasses like him because they somehow think that is what they deserve. I don't like teaching our girls that is what they deserve or that is somehow romantic. It really pisses me off actually, because I have a daughter who will be a pre-teen soon enough and will have to have this kind of crap bombarded at her in the media. I just hope she can look at me and her father and see a good relationship, but the media despite that does have a lot of influence. It's okay for a character to be flawed, and perhaps they're going to use it to show growth later on. I hope so, because all I see now is a whiny Henry Jr running around my screen being an a-hole. Anyway, I don't believe what Mary feels for him is love. I know this because I'm freaking old already and I know the stages of a relationship because I've been through them and am still going through them. I've also known girls in arranged marriages (lived in the Middle East for quite a long time, have family there, etc) and it's not unusual for girls like this to build up a fantasy in their head that usually crumbles when real life strikes. I have seen no growth for a real relationship between Mary and Francis. I question both of them loving each other. I think Francis's interest in her began when he saw his brother and her making a connection. He admitted - he's jealous of his brother. So of course he couldn't deal with his brother having something with someone who was supposed to BELONG (his word choice, not mine, he told Mary she BELONGED to his brother) to him. Bash had everything else he envied in life. His Father's love, freedom, etc. You can see it set up clearly in the pilot and 1x02 and from there on. And he was quick to give up on her too. He went straight to a brothel and hung out there. He says so many pretty words, but his actions wreak of bullshit and I do find it irritating that some women seem to have no idea of what a girl deserves. Because I think Mary deserves a man better than him. Pretty sure though that the writers haven't set this all up for nothing though. They've already called Bash the slow-burn and as we know from the history of tv shows, the slow burning couple takes quite a while to get together, but it'll happen. Also I think Mary just needs love and attention and she's used to being used so she thinks that is what she deserves. She's constantly looking for approval. Her face lit up like a freaking Christmas tree when Bash told her she was good. She looked back at her Mother for reassurance before signing because she had doubts and needed reassurance that she was doing what was wanted of her. Francis was the choice that gives this all to her. He's the right choice. He's the good choice. He's the choice everyone pushed on her. Nostradamus says they can be happy together. Bash is too risky, people won't think she's good (Catherine planted that one right on her and some people didn't get that was a psychological game lollol they thought Catherine was just being nice. Hi to those you, do you watch this show? When does Catherine do anything that is nice that doesn't serve a purpose for her?) Anyway, I'm hoping eventually this goes better and Mary grows to realize who Francis is as a person and either they change and grow together or she realizes that she deserves somebody's love and affection that can appreciate her in the right ways.
Sorry for the novel lololol
More +
Flag
Oh, shut up. We all have our own opinions, so you really don't need to generalize. I'm in my 20's and I love Francis and Mary together. You're just bitching because Mary didn't pick Bash, which is quite pathetic. Their relationship was anything, but shallow. You must be an idiot if you think that.
Flag
Well, you can tell me whatever, but I've been happily together with my husband for over a decade, so I think I know what a good relationship is and the experience to back up my opinion. Some girls just have lower standards.
Flag
lizochka was just giving their opinion, and telling the truth. you're the one getting angry and making it personal and calling names. Francis and Mary's relationship IS shallow. they NEVER got to know each other. it was some stupid "I don't want to marry you WAIT I SUDDENLY AM IN LOVE WITH YOU OUT OF NOWHERE" shit. stay mad, bye.
Flag
Emotional rollercoaster. Uh oh, I think I've gone over to the Bash side of things...
Flag
To add to the other promos out there. The producers preview is also out.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=g-high-u&v=kH_5eykqo5s
Flag
Although Bash is my favourite brother, I think it's fair to say that Francis was the right choice for Mary, since she has been in love with him this whole time (and everybody but Bash knew it).
I've been team Bash since the pilot, and yet Mary's choice didn't upset me.
[ Well, at least not nearly as much as her wedding gown, so historically inaccurate it distracted me from everything else (by now I'm used to historically inaccurate, but that dress... THAT dress! [facepalming]) ]

Plus, I find that Bash shines when they put him in distressing situations. When times call for it, he's strong and brave and angry, 100% untamable. Just amazing.
(Not to mention that history is on his side. He only has to wait a couple years! ^_^' )

Some random thoughts:

- Not that I ever believed his prophecies (fictional or historical), but Nostradamus really sucks at his job!!!
I wonder what our Catherine will do to him when Francis' time comes. I bet she'll be devastated and yet extremely creative. Maybe the noose wasn't such a bad idea.

- Kenna shocked me. She had not one but two smart moments. Which is more than can be said for the 12 previous episodes combined.

- Leith. I had totally forgotten about him, but now that you mentioned him I'm totally missing him. Where is he? (I really don't care for Olivia, though.)

- Lola and Francis. Still haven't gotten over the disbelief. And now she's sooo gonna be pregnant. -_-'

-What was Henry thinking bringing Bash so close to the "consummation"??? The other room (where the girls stood in the pilot) wasn't close enough?
Well, I guess his liaison with Kenna proves he's kind of pervy (but the actors DO have chemistry)...

More+
Flag
Are you sure she’s really in love with Francis, she hadn’t seen him for what 7 years and she was in love with him? She just put it in her head that she loves him because that’s how it should be. They were to be wed from a young age and she knew that if she didn’t love him she would be miserable so she create those emotions and doesn’t realize that they’re fake.

Loved your Random thoughts.
Flag
I doubt that in real life love was even possible between the two of them, but in the series Mary is undoubtedly in love with Francis, or at least she really thinks she is, to the point that she chose him no matter what (we don't actually know what the pope will rule, even though I'm pretty sure it will sound something like "Nooooooooooo way, Bash!!!").

The writers made it look like she tried to adjust into having some feelings for Bash (who wouldn't, btw ^_^ ), but she wasn't REALLY into him, and that's something that was plain to see for everyone but Bash (like I said in the "Royal blood comments", loving Mary makes him sort of less smart).

I'd love to see Mary's feelings blur a little, since I've become addicted to "Reign" drama, but I'm afraid that the show will spin around vengeance (both Clarissa's and Bash's) and the aftermath of the ludicrous Francis/Lola fling.
Flag
Yes, she really loves him. I think it is pretty obvious and her being with Bash, proves just that. She had the option to marry another, but she chose Francis.
Flag
......because she was emotionally manipulated, traumatized and lied to by literally all of the adults in her life. if she really did want Francis more, her own mother wouldn't have needed to falsify documents to get her to do it.

and Mary was just groomed to love Francis. she was groomed like a pedophile grooms a child, and it's creepy as fuck. she was told her whole life that Francis would be her husband, that it was her destiny to marry him, that it was her destiny to love him, and she had this fairytale in her mind before she even met him. it was easy for her to fall in love with him, no matter how horribly he treated her, because she had it beaten into her head her whole life.
Flag
Well, let's not forget we are talking about royal teenagers back in the 16th century...
What I meant was she thinks she's in love (she's 16, we've all had love delusions, back in the day), but I think that Bash would have been better for her personal growth (I'm team Bash since episode 1). Francis has his moments, but his usual self is kind of spoiled (again, royal teenagers).
Had she met him in her 20s, things could/would have been very different.
Flag
Exactly. Remember how she acted after she found out she was going to have to marry Tomas? "Oh well, better get used to it, what's the use of being sad?!" she is very practical. She didn't want an unhappy marriage. She built up these illusions of Francis being practical. Bash challenged those ideas, but in the end Francis was still the smarter choice. She didn't look back at her Mother for reassurance before she signed her name down for nothing. The writers are NOT done with Bash and Mary as a couple. They've devoted A LOT to giving them a very good base for a deep and lasting love. (They've also mentioned that they are meant to be the slow burn, so give it time, it'll turn into more. Mary just needs to mature and realize it.)
Flag
Just to throw this out there. She actually did wear white on her wedding day to Francis in real life. Even though it was not the custom at the time. You can google it yourself but just a quote I found out of many:

Mary’s choice of a white wedding dress was an unusual one, particularly as white was more traditionally worn by royal ladies when they were in dieul blanc mourning but in this as in other things the strong willed Mary may well have been an innovator, keen to not just impress her own taste on her wedding day (after all, she hadn’t been allowed the privilege of choosing her groom) but also emphasise her virginity and show off her famously pale redheaded beauty, which would have been accentuated by a pure white dress.

Now if you are referring to the style. It's just a dress and a beautiful one. And she looked spectacular OMG. Plus it doesn't hurt that many ladies who watch the show would actually consider wearing that themselves lol.
Flag
Her crown was gorgeous, too, and her earrings matched perfectly.
Flag
I was actually referring to the style. The dress was beautiful, absolutely gorgeous, and she looked stunning wearing it, but it felt really really out of context for 1558... Well, it would have been too "racy" even in 1858! :D
Flag
It actually reminded me of my stepmother's wedding dress. Which was 1992... ;) It looks nearly identical minus the belt.
Flag
I did feel bad for Bash about having to watch the Consummation but did not like his attitude when Francis came to the cemetery and then later his room. Bash knew that Mary only wanted him legitimized to save Francis' life so how could he be surprised that Mary was still in love with Francis? I don't think that Francis ordered the guards to kill Bash even though he wanted him gone from Court.

I was happy that Mary chose Francis and enjoyed the wedding scenes. But I could have done without the visions of Francis' death, very depressing!

Pretty sure that Lola will be pregnant by Francis but he was broken up with Mary at that time and didn't think he would ever see her again. I think he will remain faithful to Mary unless the writers want to turn everyone into Francis haters!
Flag
Probably he figured she cared because she was kissing him every two seconds and then told him that she'd take the risk of marrying him even if he was a landless bastard? I don't know? I would assume that meant something. Damn.
Flag
Every two seconds...really?? Lol you may want to rewatch the last few episodes. Anyway, if you read my comment closely, I never said that Mary didn't care for Bash. I wondered why Bash was surprised that Mary was still in love with Francis. She clearly told him she wanted him legitimized so she could marry him to save Francis' life. She's not going to stop having those feelings in a few weeks.
Flag
I agree. She was so insistent that they get married in this episode and the last one. They did go through a lot together and they seemed to be getting close then bam-Francis is a viable choice and she leaves him heartbroken. I just wanted to go give him a hug, then maybe you know give him some comfort.
I can't say this enough-bad Henry go to your room and you get no sex from Kenna, Diane or any other woman. You need to be punished for what you did to your poor son.
Flag
I do agree that Mary played Bash! I am a Frary fan and even I agree on that. After Francis left, she acted like he didn't even exist. It was all about Bash! Then boom, Francis comes back and all of her feelings come back as well. I don't know. I felt like they made this into a huge mess. I hate that they are making it brother vs. brother! If she didn't believe that stupid prophecy then none of this would happen.
Flag
I'm pegging a pregnancy scare but ultimate false alarm after everyone freaks out and they come clean
Flag
Check out Canada's preview for next week on youtube. Lola is definitely pregnant.
Flag
Oh gosh this episode was so amazing. I literally wanted to cry for Bash though because this episode sucked for him. Not only was he told that Mary didn't love him as much, but then he had to go and watch her have sex with Francis AND THEN an attempt is made on his life. Characters played by Toorance Coombs have no luck in life, just ask Thomas Culpepper.
Flag
And he does such a great job at it!! I just love watching his expressions in his eyes and face!!
Flag
I''m getting to hate Mary and I already HATE Francis..
Flag
Yeah, I'm ready for Francis to be killed off. Or screw all of them and just make a Bash spin-off. I'm down for that.
Flag
Bash knew that in the beginning Mary chose him to save Francis. But he hoped that she learned to love him. As he said, it was an arranged marriage since the age of 6 so is totally normal that she "falls" in love with the man she is meant to be with. Bash gave her the freedom to be herself and his only interest is to care and love her. Definitely, I am disappointed with Mary's behavior. Francis can't keep his pants on (come on Lola? couldn't he choose anyone else than Mary's ladies?). Poor Bash, to watch their consummation (how awful!) and they kept on going....(doesn't she have at least some dignity or compassion? whose idea was to change brothers?). She is good at warming them up....
Flag
yeap, it was the worst part, our dearest queen of hearts and her husband seeing Bash standing beside them and continue kissing, and hugging and fuc.. ing. and their faces... grrr.. they were disgusting.
Flag
Yeah, Mary is basically a b-word for me right now. I can't believe she fell for Francis. Well, I guess she'll learn.
Flag

1) Was Mary out of line disowning her mother the way she did, considering that Francis was her choice of a husband anyway? nope I would have disowned her too

2) Can (or should) the writers continue with the Bash-Francis-Mary love triangle? How could that be best accomplished? no I'm SO sick of love triangles

3) Was making Bash watch the consummation the most disturbing thing you’ve seen on this show, including that time a horse got its head chopped off? yes

4) Kenna and Henry: spicy, extra spicy, or original flavor? original flavor

5) Should Nostradamus maybe focus on being the best doctor he can be and just stay mum on his vision quests for a while? yes

6) Who thinks Lola is pregnant? that would be interesting

7) What did you think of "The Consummation"? I liked it

Flag
GUYSSSSS
GUYSSSSS

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND

Flag
Staff
Bless you for posting this. Watched both several times. YIIIIKES!!!! Lola IS pregnant! Bash is NOT backing down!! Drama.
Flag
Ohhhh I rewatched it like 5 times lol and I think Lola will try to get it "taken care of". In that scene with Mary and the random lady I think something is going on. Oh well we will find out soon enough. Now I feel for Lola because that sucks. Women have to deal with the consequences and men just get to continue on their way. Oh Lola.
Flag
She's definitely trying to "take care of it". Which I have to applaud the writers for touching on that subject. But I'm thinking she won't succeed, or something. Because it also looks like she's running away from court. In that case: Yeh! No more Lola. (I secretly hope she does succeed though, because storywise I just don't really like the whole pregnancy plot here.) But I guess we'll know next week
Flag
I think this is something very real and true to those times so I'm right there with you applauding the writers. She must be one fertile girl because Kenna has been with the king for a while now and nothing. But that's why I think some of them learned how to prevent pregnancy herbally. I mean Diane only had (at least in this show no idea about historically) one child with the king and I am sure that he has been with her thousands of times more than Catherine and Catherine had ten of his children.
Flag
I was thinking the same exact thing. But God how dangerous that would be since people are dying from ear infections! Can you imagine?!
Flag
Actually even now people can die from any type of infection. His infection started in the ear and ended up affecting the brain. Obviously because of the lack of knowledge and modern medical technology they weren't able to do much for him. But if someone has an infection and it goes untreated long enough it can be deadly.

I was under the impression that there were ways that women could induce abortions through herbs. Or even prevent pregnancy. I wonder what their approach will be to that but it looks like the lady was going to use some type of metal object. I have no idea. Anyways I hope she doesn't die from it.
Flag
Also, some people ignore symptoms because they don't think that it's serious and it will get better on its own.
Flag
My husbands great grandmother was sent to Siberia for performing an abortion (she was a doctor...) that went badly. They happened all the time.
Flag
I just saw these thanks for posting them here. Heavens no lol this exactly what I did not want. Ughhhghhhh so damn cliche. I don't think Mary understand the baby daddy is Francis lol. She's so kind to Lola. Wait until she understands what really went down. Ugh no me gusta
Flag
I agree that Mary doesn't know at first but I think she'll find out eventually. Lola does say something like "If you only knew"...
Flag
Noooooo!!! Thank you for posting these. But seriously: Noooooo!! Lola can not be pregnant! That's the dumbest plot-device ever! Her rendezvous with Francis last week disgusted me enough and it should create plenty of drama when Mary finds out. She doesn't need to be pregnant also.
Flag
She chose wrong..... KARRRRRRMAAAAA
Flag
MUUUU! HAHAHA! Indeed she did choose wrong! Still love Mary but she broke a lot of hearts last night, including mine-so watching the karma bite her (and Francis) will be very enjoyable! Maybe even make up for this atrocity of an episode that killed off my Frary loving side as well by tainting Frary in pretty much every possible way smh. Hi mshirriz! Thanks for the promos! Keep it up! If you are so inclined... xo
Flag
*curtsy* it shall be upon my honor to pass on to thee thy inclination... i have no idea where im going with this.
i cant waiiiiit to see her face should be sweet sweet revenge for us all
Flag
Other questions:

.. Was making Bash watch the consummation the most disturbing thing you’ve seen on this show, including that time a horse got its head chopped off?

Yeah - it was super disturbing. I'd actually totally forgotten about the whole tradition of having all these peeps sitting around watching marriage consummations, so even seeing all of Mary's ladies in there was super disturbing. But making Bash watch was even worse. Henry sucks, forever.

... Kenna and Charles: spicy, extra spicy, or original flavor?

I assume you mean Henry here - I have to say, I realized last night that I actually kind of like Kenny and Henry lol. They are well-suited to each other. Also yes, I totally missed Henry. I love when he tries to be all king-like and issues Mary orders, and Mary is like 'Sorry, this is how it's gonna be, deal with it.'

... Should Nostradamus maybe focus on being the best doctor he can be and just stay mum on his vision quests for a while?

Probably yes. So yeah, I got that the show did try to explain how Nostradamus could have gotten the visions mixed up (or thought he did), because he did have that line when he was talking to Catherine where he said his visions aren't always visual; that sometimes he hears things, or just gets a weird feeling - but they always show us the audience visuals, so it was weird to explain it that way. Like I guess he was saying that the first time around, he didn't have visuals of Francis dying, but just heard that her firstborn would die? Even though we did actually see visuals of Francis dying.

... Who thinks Lola is pregnant?

haha I totally had this thought.

More+
Flag
About Nostradamus' vision: Did we ever actually see Francis dying in a vision before this episode's ear bleeding bit? If I remember correctly, we only saw Francis falling to his knees and that turned out to be the moment when Francis' heart breaks watching Mary run off with Bash in the mid-season finale. So I think the logic could still be right: Nostradamus had this feeling that Catherine's first-born would die at the hands of Mary, but because he simultaneously saw Francis falling to his knees, he assumed it would be him.

Another explanation could be that Nostradamus' first feeling that Francis would die if he and Mary wed still holds true and that it was Nostradamus himself who interpreted that as and used the words "Catherine's first-born child". Then when he saw the incomplete vision of Francis still alive and learned that Clarissa was not dead, he mistook that interpretation of the first-born as the truth. While in actuallity it had always been about Francis specifically and not necissarily the first-born.

If that makes any sense... Anyway, I agree that it's very confusing. But it's just a minor detail so I won't let it bother me that much.
More +
Flag
I'm pretty sure that was the first we saw of the bleeding ear.
Flag
I can't remember which episode this was (one of the early ones?), but didn't Nostradamus say that he saw Francis cold to Mary's touch?
Flag
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I think the show will actually kill of Francis at some point. Maybe not anytime soon - maybe not this season - but I think that is one part of the RL history that they will actually keep. In RL, Francis really did die very shortly after marrying Mary, and I think - and kind of hope - they will stick with that. I don't hope it because I don't like Francis or anything - I like his character a lot - but it would be kind of a letdown to have all this build-up to his fated death and then it never happens on the show.

Now the interesting thing about Bash is that he's a totally made-up character from history - so he could potentially be around for a while. Maybe this is just the hopeful Mash shipper in me talking, but even if the show stays around long enough to get to Mary returning to Scotland, I could potentially see him going with her - not necessarily as a romantic interest, even, but just as a friend and supporter. Since he wasn't legitimized, he has no duties in France.

Anyway, that's all looking a ways down the line - I do sort of feel that the triangle is pretty dead for now, but who knows what this show could pull out. There has been a lot of focus on the triangle lately, and while I've enjoyed it, I wouldn't mind taking a bit of a break from it. I do wish Francis and Bash could at least sort of reconcile, but man, after everything that went down last night, I don't know about that.
More+
Flag
here it goes...

i watched the episode on Wednesday, rewatched it, and then followed everyones reactions as it was aired last night. ive read everyones opinions from both Mash fans and Frary fans si i think by now i have a good handle on my emotions to be able to speak *sips some water* *swallows back tears* *jk its coffee*

i agree 100% that this show started off so strong, with all the intrigue and intensity its come to be known for. Marie De Guise was hardcore and to see her with Catherine, GOOD LORD that was like seeing Sheldon Cooper and House in the same room, talking about anything really. you know that would be epic

in terms of writing, in my opinion, this would have made for a great season finale, which it was supposed to be before the show got the extra episodes for a full season, but since they had the time and episodes they should have changed it. Torrance Coombs boasted about the fact that the show has the balls to jump off the cliff and risk doing everything, all at once, with extreme speed, but come onnnnnn
if you had the option of spanning this out over a couple episodes, given them a LEGIT ROYAL wedding and consummation. maybe not hold their half-assed wedding in a gym and maybe not shove the future king and queen of FRONCE, SCOTLAND, and ENGLAND into a shoebox sized of a room for their consummation when Francy pants' sister got that huge ass ballroom when she banged her hubby... tsk tsk tsk SHAME ON BOTH YOUR HOUSES im looking at you laurie mccarthy

major fail.

the biggest issues i have with the turn of events is 1) how easily Mary ran back to Francis (naively so - she has yet to find out about francy pants' dirty little secretsssssssssssssssssss and i mean PLURAL)
2) Mary being a dumbass. no better way to put it. for all the episodes she exuded elegance and strength, not to mention maturity beyond her years, BOOO WAS STRAIGHT TRIPPIN YO

3) AND THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT. Bash's face, i know we saw francis' heart break when Mary ran off with Bash but the consummation scene was beyond cruel.
i cried as hard as i imagine i would have if Bash had died in that scene. but thats exactly what it felt like. it left the most uneasy feeling in my stomach. i genuinely felt nauseous
3A) HENRY(laurie) for putting Bash through that. i havent minded henry throughout the season, hes had his moments but after that scene i want him dead and Bash to kill him

once again laurie im looking at you. NOT COOL AMIGO, NOT. COOL. essentially i hate you forever. you've rushed to the top my dark list quite quickly and im somewhat impressed.

in all honesty, my friend said it the best, after seeing an episode like that, you cant help but lose a little respect for mary. and i agree. i cant look at her the same. we know she will find out about Frola and KARMA GON BE A BIOTCH and i for one CANT WAIT

i think the writers should take the triangle to the back burner for a while. i think bash will regain his position at court and things may slowly go back to normal, or as normal as they could be. i see Francis going back to his old way, country before anything, doing what he wants and who he wants, power struggle power struggle power struggle. Mary will try to turn to Bash as her confidant because as someone mentioned earlier, she may think she loves Francis more but Mary and Bash have a different connection that i feel she'll need more than Francy pants' douchery ways.

i also read on Tumblr last week about how they thought this episode should have gone and i swear if this happened i would have kissed Lauries hands myself. BUT NO

long story short, mary goes to bash, confides in him of her fears and the difficulty of her position and the looming decision, and Bash being the noble badass hero he is, says marry Francis, he would make for a better King, i will always be here for you but i never wanted the crown and without my legitimization its too risky. u know i love you and i know you love me but do this for the greater good of your country. because he knows if scotland is safe, marry will be happy and thats all hes ever cared about. THEN FRONCY PANTS being the douche he is, rubs it in Bash's face that Mary chose him and Bash just slips one line. she chose me, but i told her to choose you. BOOM END OF STORY, STANDING OVATION
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

thats how its done Laurie. thats how you leave some dignity for all those involved
More+
Flag
yeah, that should have happened. would have been soooo much better!
Flag
Here are my thoughts on how they could keep going the love triangle thing going even though I hope that they don't.

Bash somehow returns to court and someone frames Francis for the attempt on his life.

Mary finds out the truth about Francis and Lola.

These things lead her once again towards bash.
Flag
So far, Mary is crazy for choosing Francis. Bash is so obvious the better person, but you know what they say, the ladies are attracted to naughty men not the sincere and the i-will-always-put-you-first men. Poor Bash, you are used by everyone in court including Mary, and now you r in exile for it.
Flag
I still think it's interesting how at the start of the show, it was said Bash was the bad boy. But all we've ever seen is Francis be the bad boy and be with several other people. When Bash is with Mary, he is totally devoted to her. Could have been a red herring, though.
Flag
agree... so far he has no make out scene with anyone..with any girl... he has been showing interest towards Mary since day 1
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members