Remington Steele

Red Holt Steele

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Sep 27, 1983 on NBC

• The case gets personal for Steele and Laura.

It's moving day by default for Laura when agents of a consortium of corporate hitmen blow up her house. The trail leads to a plot to take over aircraft companies by any means necessary.

The idea of a company specializing in this sort of "hostile takeover" wouldn't have been out of place as a caper on "The Rockford Files." I haven't seen much "Remington Steele," but in my opinion the best episodes are always the ones that have a stronger mystery as the framework. Here, it's not as much of a whodunit as a "how will we catch them?"

By opening the story in the midst of the case, we really hit the ground running and more time is made available for the Remington/Laura relationship moments. Both Brosnan and Zimbalist shine in this episode. Zimbalist's scenes as she surveys the rubble of her house, along with her piano playing at the end of the show are poignant, and Brosnan does very well as Steele temporarily benches his desire to get Laura in the sack and goes to bat for her against the killers.

Some nice comedic moments pop up throughout as well. Mildred's deference to Steele is always funny, and the "It Happened One Night"-inspired dupe scene is terrific.